A student is not a tangerine.

open i guess but if you do something wack i will cry

North of the residential area, at the foot of the northern peak, a grove of tangerine trees grows. Unlike the forest that blankets much of the island, the trees here are in neat rows, and fruit may be found on them. This also means that wildlife is especially abundant here, as birds come for the fruit, and feral cats come for the birds.

Moderator: BRAU2 Director

Jilly
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

A student is not a tangerine.

Post by Jilly »

Shogo Kawada (Male Student No. 5) slammed his supply bag by the base of one of the tangerine trees. It slumped onto the ground, next to the carcasses of fruit that had previously fallen off and were left untouched outside of indentations where the wild birds were probably feeling peckish as well. He rolled his shoulder a few times and continued to puff on his cigarette as the aroma from the burning tobacco mixed with the lingering scent of citrus. You never realize how weak your shoulder actually was until it was lugging so many pounds of extra weight, but he'd push through. He had to.

He pulled one of the fruits off the tree and rolled it in his hand, smelled it, and tossed it into the air about a foot or two before peeling and trying a bite out of it himself. It was kind of surprising that these tangerine trees still had fruit on them since it was almost June, but it'd make sense if everyone living here got pulled out months ago. Shame no one told these little guys.

He looked left and right a few times before he leaned down and opened his bag again and started picking fruits off the tree, shoving them in one at a time. If he was gonna wait shit out away from these podunk crackheads he wasn't gonna just eat fucking bread and those cans of Spam he picked up.
AnimeNerd
Team Affiliation: Claudia's Krakens

Post by AnimeNerd »

[[She walked until she found the fruit trees]]

Megumi was feeling tired. Tired and sore. She was never the most athletic person, and all the activity was a lot. It honestly made her want to just sit down and sleep. Maybe for a year.

But she couldn’t yet, because she wasn’t going to sleep on the dirt. For one it was gross, and for two it wasn’t safe. She was in The Program! She had just gotten shot and was dealing with bruising from that shot! She needed to find somewhere that was at least a little safe before she could get some rest.

On the way though, she saw some fruit trees and…well, she saw the food in the bag when she got out her vest. It would be nice to have some more food, and food with some real flavor to it.

And so she walked to one of the trees, looking at the tangerines that hung from the branches. They were tall. Definitely taller than her. It was going to be difficult, but she was going to get one of those fruits, even if…well, not really if it killed her, but you know. She was going to try her best!

“Okay, you can do this Megumi.”

It was mainly to psyche herself up. Prepare for this challenge. She’d already been shot, how hard could it be to get a tangerine or two?

And she began jumping to try and grab one of the small fruits.
[+] The Living
Joel Foster is having a reunion while it's time to call the police
Megumi Eto is wishing she could GTFO
[+] The Dead
RJ Blackburn was axed a question in The Jarvis Method
Jasper Suárez-King was silenced in When Betting On High Card Pays Off
Jia Li Qiáo took a tumble off in Rouge Angles of Satin
[+] The Future
Colton "Colt" Smirnov is ready to aim and fire
Roselia Watson is trying to run away from it all
Titania Zabelle is going to show the world her talent
Maud Sparrow Jr. is already painting her own portrait
Aqua Elle is a literal spitfire when you think about it
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

All right, that should've done it. Worst case, Shogo could come back before this area became forbidden, though there probably was no real danger there. Most Program runs only lasted a day or two; even the longest Shogo could find was over before hitting the 72 hour mark. Kids running around hungry and tired and scared took care of any timetable inefficiencies on their own.

Shogo bent down to seal his bag to go to his next stop. He flinched at the sound of something thumping, coming from past this row of trees. And then another thump. And then another thump.

He furrowed his brow and puffed out another haze of burnt tobacco. Another thump. Curiosity killed in the Program, but...

He grabbed his bag and peeked through the greenery, taking care not to rustle too many leaves. In the midst of the darkness he could make out a girl doing her best impression of an old Greek fable with the taller trees over there. He couldn't quite make out who she was from the back of her head, but she didn't look like she had a weapon on her.

Should he say something? Being a hero got you killed in this shit. Everyone would figure that out on their own. But, well, the world had a funny way of working out sometimes, too. Believing in karma and cosmic order and that crap was for fools who didn't want to take responsibility for their own actions, but maybe they were right sometimes.

"Oy, there's ones over here you don't gotta jump and reach. Keep doing that and you're gonna get us both shot," Shogo whisper-yelled from among the foliage. His face stayed neutral.
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

The sound Megumi let out when she heard someone talking to her...she will admit, it wasn't the most dignifying thing, but at least it was mostly quiet! At most the only other person that could hear it was the other person, and at this point she was already embarrassed from jumping like an idiot in someone else's presence, so it wasn't like she was making too big a fool of herself.

She stumbled once the person-boy, she was pretty sure it was a boy-spoke, but she avoided falling. Her head quickly swiveled to find them, and her gaze set on a figure. A tall figure. A muscular figure. An imposing figure...

Oh no it's Shogo.

Megumi didn't exactly dislike the boy, but he was one of the scary people in the class. The only one that wasn't in a gang, granted, but still a boy that just needed to breathe to make her feel nervous.

Though...maybe she was judging a book by it's cover? Even if he was mainly trying to get her to stop to avoid attention, he hadn't tried to immediately hurt her. And he didn't have a bad past like Shimizu. She could at least give a little bit of trust, at a moment like this.

Megumi tried her best to swallow her nerves as she spoke, keeping her eyes on the older boy.

"Ah, thank you. A-and sorry, I just wanted to have something a bit...more than the bread, you know?"

The smile was a bit forced, but...she was pretty sure it could be worse? And it wasn't worse, so tiny victories!
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Shogo didn't smile back. "Yeah, yeah, you aren't the only one, lady."

With a dismissive wave of the hand, he disappeared back to his side of the trees.
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

...okay, there was definitely an issue about politeness there, but...better that than him immediately trying to strangle her? It was The Program after all. Better rudeness than being attacked.

Though...lady? Did she really look that old? She wasn't even out of high school yet! And like Shogo was one to talk, he was the one that was held back a grade!

Ugh, whatever. Again, it was The Program, better a guy call her old than gouge her eyes out or something.

Megumi looked around for the trees Shogo talked about. He didn't really point in any general direction, so it was a bit of a guessing game. A guessing game that she wasn't very good at, considering she kept looking and looking, and this easy to reach tree wasn't in sight.

Maybe it was a miscommunication issue? Shogo was a big guy, and meanwhile Megumi was one of the shortest girls in class. Maybe he just was thinking about it as himself and not as her?

Oh, she was scared of speaking up and asking about it. But she wasn't going to get anywhere if she just stood there looking like an idiot. Plus, if she waited too long, he might leave before she could get clarity over this!

"U-um, I'm sorry, but can you-can you point to which tree you mean? I'm...I'm not sure which tree you're talking about."

'Please don't hate her, please don't hate her, please don't hate her, please don't hate her...'
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Several moments passed before he replied back. "...One sec."

"...Good grief..."

After about thirty seconds the foliage rustled as Shogo stepped through, his scowl still fixed in place. He glanced in all directions before hoofing it towards who he now recognized as Eto, one of the girls bawling her eyes out on the floor during the briefing over an hour ago. His hands cradled five of the fruits (botanical).

"Here, quick, just take 'em," his words rushed together.
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

The silence made Megumi wring her hands, afraid that she'd upset the older boy. The 'good grief' comment made her worry she was correct. He was definitely annoyed at least. But what would that annoyance mean? Would he yell at her? Berate her? Slap her? Worse?!

No, no, probably not worse, but it was still hard to confirm anything. She barely knew the boy and they were in a situation where they were encouraged to kill each other. There were a lot of things he could try, and even with the vest she wasn't safe. So long as he could aim at her head she could still be in danger. Maybe it would be best if she just left and found extra food another way? Yeah, that might be-

Oh, wait, he came back. And he didn't have a weapon! He was giving her food!

She nodded along to his command, quickly grabbing the tangerines and placing in her still open bag. One after the other after the other after the other and after the other.

"Thank you, Kawada. A-and sorry for bothering you, you know, before."

She tried to emphasize the meaning in her apology with a slight bow. Megumi hoped it got the message across.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Shogo watched her bow in stone-faced silence before eventually cracking with a slightly exasperated sigh. "It's okay," he replied in English, his scowl softening somewhat.

He took the cigarette out of his mouth. The flare at the tip had burned down to the filter. He dropped it onto the worn dirt path and stamped it out with the toe of his New Balance sneakers until there wasn't a smolder left.

"Word of advice, though," he said, directly staring down at her eyes. His face was as serious as it was somber. "Don't trust anyone, starting now. Not strangers in the woods in the middle of the night, not even who you think your friends are. If anyone thinks they can kill you, they will try. Got it?"
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

The English surprised Megumi a little bit. Yeah they all had English class, but it still was enough to leave her eyes wide for a second.

She did her best to ignore the cigarette. Daddy always said never to go near anyone smoking because even second-hand smoke could cause lung cancer, but...that probably wouldn't be the biggest problem here, right?

Then Shogo went on and said his piece and...yeah, it was probably good information to have, but it seemed...off, somehow? Like, he didn't know her friends! Mizuho could be a little weird, and Kaori might be a bit little too interested in Junya, but they were still good people! She couldn't imagine either of them trying to hurt her, let alone kill her! Why would he think the people closest to her would try to kill her?

Oh, she should probably actually say something instead of just nodding and looking at the ground.

"I-I know should be careful about who I trust. I won't trust anyone from Kiriyama's gang, and I'll jump off a cliff before I trust Mitsuko and her clique. And I know I should just...be careful in general. Already I was-"

'Don't say shot, don't say shot, don't say shot-'

"S-someone shot at me, earlier. So...yeah, be more careful, but...I should be able to trust my friends. At least a little bit, I think. So I...um, I'm little curious-why shouldn't I trust them?"

Megumi hoped she worded that right. She had a tiny idea why he'd think like that, but...if he knew someone that went through The Program, would that person be able to talk about it? Was it against the law? Though rock music was against the law too, and she had the CDs under her bed to show that breaking the law wasn't exactly hard. But would they really go into so much detail about it? To someone that could go into The Program themself? Or was that advice for a just in case situation, like what was happening now? Was that a very fortunate coincidence or just paranoia that ended up becoming useful? Or maybe...

Or maybe Megumi needed to wait for an actual answer before coming to any conclusions? That would probably be best.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

"...Oh, uhm..."

Shogo scratched behind his ear, trying to think of how to respond. He couldn't just go around telling people this wasn't his first rodeo; people probably already thought he would be the one to be shoot happy out the gate. But at the same time he couldn't just say nothing and walk away mysteriously without raising more questions.

"...I mean, you can do what you want and believe what you want, but I just don't wanna see folks get hurt. This stuff wouldn't be happening 50ish time a year if it didn't work, so..."

On that cue a gunshot rang out somewhere from the southeast towards the residential area, far away enough to not put them in any immediate danger but still too close for comfort. It sounded like a pistol of some sort.

He clicked his tongue. He pulled out a disposable lighter and a pack of Wild Sevens from his pockets and lit another cigarette. "Sounds like you're not the only one getting shot at, now."
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Oh...oh noooooooo.

Megumi hit the nail on the head, didn't she? Maybe it was a friend, maybe it was a cousin-Hell, it could've even been a sibling. Whatever the case, Shogo definitely knew someone that went into a previous Program.

Should she take that advice, then? But...she still didn't think her friends would ever hurt a fly, let alone her. Maybe she should just...exercise caution? Trust them, but maybe not necessarily enough to like, sleep near them while they have a machine gun? But that would be kind of mean, wouldn't it? She's known them for so long, and trusted them for so much-not trusting them completely would make her horrible! Maybe...maybe just keep it in mind? Be prepared, even if she doesn't think it'll happen?

The gunshot got her to jump a bit, staring at the direction it come from.

"I...I guess I'm not..."

Megumi's hand hovered over the hole in her shirt, forgetting the conversation for a moment.

She had the vest. She wondered if the other person wasn't as lucky as her.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Pow! Pow-pow-pow!

More gunshots sang a chorus from the same direction. They sounded similar to the one just before. Could've been return fire or the same person being trigger happy; Shogo couldn't tell but he wasn't really up for staying and finding out, either.

The sneer on Shogo's face returned as he took a drag off the fresh cigarette. "Christ on a bike," he said to himself.

It was only when Eto held her hand over her chest that Shogo noticed the hole torn in her shirt, barely visible in the dim light of the moon.

He cleared his throat and jostled the bag on his shoulders that slowly and slowly grew with each stopover. "I'm gonna get going before I find out what the party is. I suggest you do the same, maybe stay away from over there for the time being, but you can do what you want. I'm my own keeper."

And then he started to walk away, taking another drag off the cigarette before his shoes rolled through the grassy path.
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

The quartet of gunshots got another flinch out of Megumi. The Program was just starting and she'd been confronted by a knife-wielding bully, got shot in the chest, found out one of her classmates personally knew someone that survived a previous Program, and got to hear as other people got shot/shot at.

Were Programs usually this quick? She could ask Shogo, but that might be rude. He already had to deal with someone he knew going into one of these before him, and it would probably bring up bad memories that would make him cry!

Wait, could he cry? Megumi has never seen him cry, but she's never seen most of the people in her class cry, so they probably all could, they just didn't want to be open about it. It sounded silly, but it made more sense than boys just not being able to cry.

Wait, cheese and crackers! She would lose her own head if it wasn't attached to her! What's going on?!

Shogo was clearing his throat and saying that he was going to leave. Megumi should probably let him go, but...something just felt off about the idea? Uncomfortable in a way she couldn't quite communicate.

The only person she'd been able to talk to while here is Shimizu, and that was a predictable disaster. And back in Shiroiwa she could have conversations with Mom, Daddy, Mizuho or Kaori no problem. But in The Program, where everything is bound to be scary from now on, and having a nice conversation like this...

It's not going to come often, and Megumi doesn't want to let it end yet.

"Wait!"

It was a whisper shout as she took a step forward, reaching out a hand.

'Wait, this looks cliché and silly-'

She pulled her hand back against her chest, gaze flicking back to the ground.

"C-could we maybe...travel together? At least a little bit? I'd understand if you don't want to! I just think it would be nice to have someone to talk to, and that saying is about how two heads are better than one, and I promise I wouldn't try anything stupid! I think it would just...you know, make things easier? At least a little bit."

Megumi really wished she could hold back the word vomit at times like this.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Shogo stopped in his tracks, kicking some dirt in the air as his heels spun around. His eyes widened as Eto gave her spiel.

When she finished, Shogo raised an eyebrow and scratched around his facial scar. That was a little cliché and silly, but he wasn't gonna say so.

"Mmmm....," he hummed to himself.

A nearly uncomfortable amount of time passed before he said anything else.

"...Yeah, that'd be... Okay. Yeah. For a little bit." He nodded his head. He stuck his hand out at Eto, his fingers curling into his palm save for the pointer finger pointing up. His next words came out calm but firm. "But you gotta keep up or else I'll leave you behind. And don't go sticking a knife in my face or it's over, capisce?"

Return to “Orchard (E8)”