let's play a game

On the northernmost cliffs of the island, just outside a rainforest clearing consisting of small, nondescript huts, there stands a large, multi-layered circle consisting of small local statues, local symbols, and other assorted items believed to have belonged to shamans of a distant past. However, unlike every other area of the island, this area shows signs of recent touch - faint drag marks surround each statue, and the grass beneath them does not match the grass anywhere else on the island, as though the ground was recently excavated, then planted with grass not native to the region. However, if one were to travel any further north of the circle, they would find that there does exist something native to the island - a long, steep drop onto sharp jagged rocks, sticking out of the ocean.

Moderator: SOTF International Staff

Jilly
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

let's play a game

Post by Jilly »

(start)

The rain never came back, and the fire continued flickering as the sun began its ascent.

"Right...," Abel trailed off, blinking a few times and silently stuttering to himself while his seven remaining fingers stayed splayed out.

"So, uh... never have I ever broken a bone."
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

((Soraya continuado de El canto fúnebre de los pastores ))

Soraya pulled at her lip with her finger and yawned. She was laying on her stomach facing the fire with her right hand out, all five fingers stretched out. Soraya had an open package of Doritos in front of her. Breakfast.

She tossed a few chips to Dominik and begrudgingly put a finger down.

"I was climbing a pyramid when I was a little girl," she said with dramatic flourish.

Un pie arriba. Avanzar. Un pie arriba. Avanzar. Un pie --

"They're everywhere -- like ant hills. My Abuela took me. And she said 'Pajarita, don't go so fast.' I was wearing flip flops and I thought I knew best. I slipped and I broke my toe. If a toe is a bone. There's a bone in there."

They looked at Dominik.

[+] May you find those who shine and learn the power of miracles

Translation:

One foot up. Go forward. One foot up. Go forward. One foot --

Abuela = grandma, obviously

Pajarita = this is very sweet. It's a way people will refer to children or people they love. It's the feminine and diminutive form of "bird."
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

The fire reacted strongly to the sun, as it rose the flames reached out for it, like a child reaching for a parent.

They were playing a game, Never Have I Ever, it was a simple one but a good icebreaker. It helped them get to know each other better, which was good as they actually knew next to nothing about the other.

He caught the chips Soraya tossed his way in cupped hands and steadily ate them one at a time.

"It's true. There are a lot of them some places even have a ballgame court if you are lucky."

He bit off the corner of a Dorito before continuing.

"My father worked at an island hotel and once when I was a child we were playing at the dock and I went to jump into a boat but fell and broke my wrist."
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Abel grimaced at both of their tales.

"Gnarly stuff. My skelly's pretty well put together, I guess—worst I've ever had was a toe stubbing or two."

He turned to Soraya. "Your turn again, amiga."
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

"Huh. My father worked at a hotel, too. And so do I -- on weekends. I guess that's how it is where we live," she said, pushing the bag of Doritos around with her finger.

Soraya grinned at Abel.

"Que bueno."

She glanced a the sky, which was gradually becoming a pale blue with some hints of pink from the rising sun.

"Never have I ever....."

Been...

de...

drunk

?

"Never have I ever been drunk," she said finally. "Also, not it's not for points but have you seen a kangaroo where you live? Like a real one? Are the spiders the size of a dinner plate?"
[+] May you find that which shines and learn the power of miracles.

The only thing I've ever been proud of was describing the setting sun as "daylight's falling star" in a recent Supers post.

Supers
Ximena Rodriguez: "Everything is just a matter of time."
International
Soraya Martinez: "Need a translator? I'm pretty good."
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

"It's a funny coincidence," Dominik said in reply to Soraya.

The round ended and Soraya began the next one with a new question, asking if they had ever been drunk.

"It would be interesting to see how big they are compared to the ones back home. I knew someone who could lure tarantulas out of their burrows."

Dominik changed his seating position, leaning back and resting his elbows on the grass.

"When I turned eighteen I got drunk at my party. Everyone was giving me drinks and I was too polite to say no. I felt sick all of the next day."
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Abel hmm'd and haw'd before settling on an answer for the kangaroo court. "Yeah, I've seen a roo or two just hanging out, though they kinda stay away from deep in the bush where I'm from. The spiders aren't really plate sized, though for sure at least about as big as your hand." He demonstrated with his own.

"Cane toads, too. Now those are the suckers you gotta watch out for. Gotta run over and kill every last one of those bastards, or at least that's what my dad says."

He hesitated for a minute, looked at Dominik, but didn't remove a finger for the drunk prompt.
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

Mi abuela me contó una historia cuando era joven.

Érase una vez, un hombre estuvo corriendo de una pantera en la selva.

No vio que había un acantilado y se cayó.

Se agarró a la rama de un árbol y dejó de caer.

Pero cuando miró hacia abajo, vio otra pantera esperando abajo.

Pantera ariba y pantera abajo. En dos maneras, panteras. (Jejejej)

De todos modos, en este momento, el hombre miró en el mismo rama, creciendo un níspero.

Arrancó la níspero de la rama y se la comió. Y en ese momento, fue el níspero más dulce que jamás comió.

Oye. ¿Cuál fue el punto de contar esa historia, eh?

"What? Que comico. You're so nice that you did something bad because you still wanted to be nice. A good/bad chico paradox, de veras."

Now was Abel's turn to answer the question, but she was more interested in the other answer he had given to her unrelated, non-game question.

"Did you hear that?! 'Roos.' Like a real Australian person! He's seen them really! 'Roos'"! Soraya slapped Dominik's arm. She laughed and looked over her shoulder.

"Maybe we should move to somewhere nicer. Let's get a house or go to the beach or something."

[+] May you find that who shines and the power of miracles

Translation:

My grandma used to tell me a story when I was younger.

A man was being chased through the jungle by a panther. He slipped and fell off a cliff, but caught himself on a branch. He looked down and saw another panther below. A panther above and a panther below, both ways, panthers (this rhymes in Spanish). Anyway, he saw a fruit on the branch he was hanging on and he ate it. And it was the sweetest fruit he ever had. Hey, what was even the point of that story, huh?

In the dialog part of this, chico just means boy in case you didn't know. Que comico means "How funny."
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Dominik smiled along with Soraya as Abel said 'Roos'. It was fun, they were having fun. Dominik was intrigued by the cane toads he had mentioned though. It sounded like they were not well-liked animals in Australia and he was interested in knowing why. There was a chance the situation was similar to Lionfish back home.

Soraya mentioned moving on and maybe finding a house of some sort or the beach.

If Dominik was being honest he would have preferred the beach, although being in a shelter also sounded good. At least as a break from being exposed to the weather.

"I think that's a good idea. Perhaps a house for a while?"
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Abel frowned a little bit at Soraya and Dominik pointing out the roo comment but he let it go.

This was pretty nice, after all.

"Beach sounds good to me, I think it's in that direction." He pointed with his left hand as he started to stand up. "Maybe there's a house there or something we can settle down in; this circle thing kinda sucks."

He paused for a moment before continuing. "...Wanna race for it?"
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

¿Y si no te importaran las panteras?

"Ok, but.... I'm getting a head start because I have to carry this stupid bubble!" she said quickly, picked up the things (including the deflated plastic), and started running.

"¡Lero lero, calzon de cuero!"

(( Soraya continuado en...))

[+] May you find that who shines and the power of miracles

Translation:

What if you don't care about panthers?

Alright, so "Lero lero, calzon de cuero" is just a thing children say to taunt each other. I guess in English the equivalent would be like "Neener neener" or something. Lero doesn't literally mean anything besides being a noise. Calzon de cuero means "Leather underwear." Kids make up nonsense all over, I guess.
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

KNOWLEDGE LOST TO THOSE RACES CONDEMNED TO ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE

A breeze carried through the circle, rustling the grass and the leaves and pushing past the statues without moving their solid surfaces, which wore the effects of time.

“These humans are strange but so are all the humans we’ve seen thus far,” said Oak.

“I think that humans are just like that,” said Juniper, shaking jovially.

“Do you remember those humans who called this place the Port of Warlocks? Very tacky.”

“I’m older than you are. I remember,” said Juniper.

“Oh, yeah. Just in case you were so old you started to forget things.”

They gazed out at the horizon together; the ocean calmly ripped, shining with the light of the moon.

“What is a warlock?” asked Oak.

“It’s a word that means a man who uses magic,” replied Juniper, kindly, but a little tired.

“Oh, OK,” replied Oak.

The wind whistled. The water lapped. The constellations sparkled above in their orderly way.

“What does ‘magic’ mean?” asked Oak.

The Juniper took a moment to consider.

“The power to do what is thought to be impossible by other people. It’s not really impossible, though. It’s just that it is thought to be impossible,” said Juniper.

“How do you mean?” asked Oak.

“Well, many humans seem to think it’s impossible to do things like kill someone once you have already died, but that’s not true. It’s even very common among humans to kill once they’ve died. Or take this story I had heard. There was a story of a girl who baked a wedding cake for a wedding where she was in love with the groom but was forbidden to marry. She baked with all of her sorrow, which inadvertently went into the cake. Every guest who ate the cake felt what she had put in -- just like all the other ingredients -- and felt her sorrow and got sick.”

“I see. Is it possible to do good magic?,” asked Oak.

“Certainly,” said Juniper. “Their magic is usually stronger than death, though it depends on the person. They’ve moved mountains, vanquished diseases, and done countless other things with magic. But the strongest powers are not well-understood. If you have seen love, you would know that it is scintillating and bending, but cannot be fractured just by one person shifting planes. It is like a rainbow of cold fire trapped inside a stone.”

“Harder than wood, even?”

“Harder than wood,” said Juniper solemnly.

“Wow,” said Oak.

“Sometimes, though, it doesn’t hurt to give them a little bit of additional help with their magic.”

The two laughed. The sound was of the many birds and bugs and creatures all squawking and scurrying in a spirited manner, enlivened by the forest and cared for by the moon.

((The island continued on and on, forever))
[+] May you find that which shines and learn the power of miracles.

The only thing I've ever been proud of was describing the setting sun as "daylight's falling star" in a recent Supers post.

Supers
Ximena Rodriguez: "Everything is just a matter of time."
International
Soraya Martinez: "Need a translator? I'm pretty good."

Return to “The Mysterious Circle”