First The Sirens, Then The Lights...

that looks like your ride.................. your ride... (private until the death tag goes up)

This ship is a replica of a traditional clipper ship, painstakingly built to recreate the proper design elements and functionality. Originally used for filming and for theme tours in Southeast Asia, it was badly damaged when an inexperienced captain scraped a pier during a storm, and was put into dry dock pending repairs. Ultimately, however, insurance proceedings saw it declared a total write-off and sold for scrap. It has gashes in the sides that have been crudely but competently repaired, and inside the ships has wide expanses of wooden floor spanning two decks. The rigging is the most impressive part, with a crow's nest that serves as the highest point of the arena, should one dare venture up the rope ladder. A rather anachronistic yet fully functional cannon has been mounted on the deck, fixed in the vague direction of a section of outer marina, though only three cannonballs are present, each massive sphere tucked away in the back of the very bottom deck of the ship.
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

So they were doing this. They were going to try breaking Marion's collar while she bled out on the floor. Despite her protest, Marion insisted on it, and Shoshanna did as well. The two of them even seemed to have something of a plan already worked out between them. Nadine could see the logic in their decision. Perhaps it was even the right call. Patching Marion up might buy her a few hours of agony at best, and that's if it worked at all. Finding a way to disable her collar could possibly save everybody.

That it was the right thing to do didn't make her feel any better. The idea of watching Marion bleed out while Shoshanna prodded at her collar was unbearable.

She plucked the needle and lighter from the first aid kit. Stared at the needle's point. Took a deep breath.

"I'll do it." She waved the flashlight away, lit the lighter, and stuck the needle's point in the flame. "Just keep the light on her collar and walk me through it."
[+] TV3
"Finish what you started."
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
"You wouldn’t say that if you knew me better."
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[+] New BRAU
"Just remember me. Okay?"
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Nadine offered to do the procedure instead. Shoshanna was a bit surprised by that. It would put Nadine in more danger if the collar went off. However, she had been with Marion since the day before, so perhaps it was more out of honor to their time together.

Shoshanna nodded.

"Okay, I'll tell you what to do," she told Nadine.

The girl was already heating the needle with the lighter. Shoshanna turned the flashlight back to Marion's collar.

"There," Shoshanna said, pointing to one of the pinholes while keeping the flashlight above it. "Try jamming it in there."

She glanced over to Marion.

"Mare, if you have anything to say to us or the world, this is the time. All eyes are on you."
G014: Mayumi Tendou
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2
Brigid Paxton: Deceased
Louisa Bloom: Deceased

Program V3 Prologue
Rodney Vasicek: Escaped
Ambrose Lexington: Deceased
Helena Christensen: Deceased

Program V3
Philippa "Pippa" Andolini: Deceased
Nastasia "Nastya" Zharkova: Deceased

TV:

TV2
Asa Rosen: Deceased
Taylor DeVasher: Deceased

TV3
Dale Hawthorne: Deceased
Shoshanna Kowalczyk: Deceased

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1
Paige Strand: Deceased
Amber Whimsy: Deceased

Second Chances V2
Sophie McDowell: Deceased
Wham Yubeesling
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Wham Yubeesling »

All eyes were on Marion.

And Marion said nothing.
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Shoshanna relented far more easily than Nadine had anticipated. It was a dangerous thing they were doing, after all, and Shoshanna seemed the sort who'd always favor putting herself in danger over anyone else. Nadine had been fully prepared to defend her position from the other girl's noble attitude, but she was glad she didn't have to. Shoshanna understood.

Marion was silent. Given the grave wound in her chest, speaking must have been torture so far. She'd likely already said her last, regardless of if they succeeded here or not.

She flicked the lighter off. The point of the needle had been tarnished black by the flame. Hopefully the heat would damage the mechanisms in the collar, preferably in a way that didn't make it explode. The thought of what would happen if it did - to Marion and to herself - made her stomach churn. She could hardly stop her hands from trembling as she turned to face Marion, ready as she'd ever be for whatever came next.

Nadine cautiously jabbed the needle into the pinhole on Marion's collar. It met with a fair bit of resistance, but eventually gave enough to insert the point into the collar itself. She silently looked up at Shoshanna, hoping the girl could provide instruction on what she was feeling around for- and reassurance that they weren't making a huge mistake.
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Aura

Post by Aura »

Rhonda nodded silently at her given task. They were really doing this. Collar surgery on a live person. This was the kind of fucked-up stuff that she's read about on the protest forums, kids having to try these crazy, longshot ideas just for some hope of survival. And now she was doing it herself. It was terrifying, stressful, and nauseating all at once.

She held down Marion in accordance with the group's wishes, her well-trained arms keeping her steady as Nadine started her delicate work. She tried not to think about the potential consequences if things went wrong. At best, at least two of them would be showered with gore, herself included. At worst... well, she just had to hope that the blast from the collar wouldn't be strong enough for her to have to worry about that. But of course, that didn't stop her.

Rhonda had to push all of that out of her head. She had to counteract with happy thoughts, positive thoughts. Thoughts about escaping the fleet. Returning home and seeing her dad again. Getting back to the gym and stepping into the ring again. All of the things that she loved, and was starting to think that maybe she took for granted a little too much.

She watched the heated needle enter the pinhole, and her breath caught for a moment. There was no turning back for them now. Their only options were definitive success or failure. And while Nadine worked under Shoshanna's instruction, Rhonda had to focus on her part, and keep Marion still.
Wham Yubeesling

Marion’s eyes were on Nadine’s face as the needle went into the pinpoint. No words came from her mouth. No expression came from her face. She looked, and looked, and looked, as the needle dug further in. There was a couple of seconds of resistance, as Nadine wrestled with the pinpoint, but then she did it. Broke through. Had the needle enter the collar itself.

The next two seconds were a loud screech from the collar and then-
Wham Yubeesling

book quotes 💕 (@book.quotes) · Apr 12, 2021
my sister lives on the mantelpiece ✨#ramadan #weareallmuslim

Wham Yubeesling

🦑🦑🦑🦑🦑🦑🦑 (@fowlanin) · Sep 16, 2021
@Appledude lmao remember rad mari

|
|
|

Jack Trench (@Appledude) · Sep 16, 2021
Replying to
@fowlanin
no
|
|
|

Replying to
@Appledude
yeah me neither tbh

|
|
|

Replying to
@fowlanin
remember when we were both subbed to her

|
|
|

Replying to
@Appledude
that’s the joke lmao

|
|
|

Replying to
@Appledude
don’t even know whqt happened

|
|
|

Replying to
@fowlanin
its like something happened with the knockout gas for stof and it sucked out her whole personality

|
|
|

Replying to
@Appledude
I KNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

|
|
|

Replying to
@Appledude

|
|
|

Replying to
@Appledude
she was SO cool when she was on the ship with Nadine and Laura and then

|
|
|

Replying to
@Appledude
oops

|
|
|

Replying to
@Appledude
im fuckinf boring now

|
|
|

Replying to
@Appledude
im gonna just walk around and try to escape and die

|
|
|

Replying to
@fowlanin
makes you wonder why we even liked her streams anyway

|
|
|

Replying to
@Appledude
LOL

|
|
|

Replying to
@Appledude
anyway

|
|
|
Wham Yubeesling

Islamic Center of Greater Miami (@miamimosque) · June 2, 2023
“And yes, while I am first and foremost a teacher and anthropologist, it is true that I happen to be the father of an SotF contestant.” - Javier Rosales

|
|
|

Replying to
@miamimosque
“Well, I suppose so. I’m aware that other parents in the region still have difficulty trying to separate their children from who they were on TV, but for the past two years I’ve merely seen my daughter as having passed on by normal causes, rather than…”

|
|
|

Replying to
@miamimosque
“They came for us while we were getting ready in the morning, her and I. I tried to stop them, but… all she did was get dressed, send her last tweet, and then go into the van. She lost consciousness, the van guys closed the door, and that was the last time I ever saw her.”

|
|
|

Replying to
@miamimosque
“I should say ‘in person,’ but… the version of her they put on TV wasn’t her. She had walls up. She was less talkative. She had plans, but… she never quite led the conversation. Not like she always loved to.”

|
|
|

Replying to
@miamimosque
“People thought she was boring, most of all. Some of them even told my family that to our faces. She didn’t exactly attract a lot of supporters. We received… only the barest amount of grievance, when she died, but then…”

|
|
|

Replying to
@miamimosque
“Things returned to normal for us, just with one less person. We held our funeral, expressed our grief, and then just… got on with our lives. Our lives changed only the way most families do when they lose a daughter. None of… what happened with some of the other families.”

|
|
|

Replying to
@miamimosque
“And I could suppose I could call that a blessing. Her blessing.”

|
|
|

Replying to
@miamimosque
“I can’t exactly say it was her intent — I cannot act as if I have a clue on what exactly her intent was, but if it was for us, if it was so that we would not have to be subjected to the same things she was, then… we are all thankful. For her sacrifice. For who she was, in the end.”

|
|
|

Replying to
@miamimosque
“Marion Rosales, daughter of Javier and Ysabel, and sister of Danica. Who loved to talk. Who loved to play music. Who loved to know all the people she knew...”

|
|
|

Replying to
@miamimosque
“...And who disappeared from us, tragically, after two men took her from our home on the 16th of April, 2021. I dedicate the following speech to you.”

|
|
|

Replying to
@miamimosque
View all of Javier’s heartwrenching address by viewing and liking our Facebook page.
Wham Yubeesling

-the collar blew. Marion’s neck exploded open. Her body writhed on the ground for the next twenty seconds before eventually ceasing movement. Remaining still.

She didn’t scream. She didn’t talk. No sound came out of her throat as she died. She just kept her focus on Nadine. Gave her a little smile, just before all the eyes in the world stopped looking into hers.

She didn’t really have that much to say, anyway.

BC08: MARION ROSALES: DECEASED
59 STUDENTS REMAIN
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Shoshanna had once read that a single second of eternity could be measured by how long it took for a sparrow to whittle a mountain made of diamonds into nothingness simply by polishing its beak against the mountainside. Well, watching Nadine stick the heated needle into Marion's collar felt like watching that sparrow make the first attempt at polishing against the mountain. It was almost maddening waiting for something to happen as each second was broken down into fragments.

Shoshanna knew that it was a waiting game. Marion remained silent, so the girls heard nothing by the sound of the ocean around them. Shoshanna's arm was starting to waver holding the flashlight above the girl. Something had to give. Something had to work. They could leave this game tonight if this plan worked.

And that's when Shoshanna heard the screech.

"GET BACK!" she shouted, scooching back a bit.

That's when there was a loud sound and Shoshanna felt something splatter against her face and chest. Her flashlight had moved away from Marion in that moment, but Shoshanna had quickly readjusted. She could see Marion's neck exposed, and watched as the girl convulsed a bit before falling motionless.

Shoshanna wiped her face with the back of her forearm and saw it was blood. Even with the dark brown Hershey's shirt, she could see blood splattered on the logo.

"God dammit!" Shoshanna screamed, tossing the flashlight across the deck, where it hit the cabin door.

Shoshanna stood up, her legs weak from the lack of blood flow. She walked over to the nearest ship railing and slammed her fists against it. She let out another scream into the uncaring ocean.

They failed. She failed. She should have been able to focus and get herself back to business, but in that moment, all Shoshanna could do was stew in her anger and grief.
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Shoshanna hadn't needed to tell Nadine to get back; the piercing whine of the collar was enough. She jerked away only just fast enough to avoid the-

*BANG*

She flinched away from Marion, arms shielding her face and body. She could feel the spray of Marion's blood on her clothes, could hear her struggling there on the floor. She didn't want to look, but she also couldn't not look. She lowered her arms, took a deep breath and looked back.

It was worse than she could've imagined. The damage the bomb had done, Marion's convulsing coming to a stop, her weak attempt at a comforting smile...

This was her fault. It didn't matter that someone else had shot her, it didn't matter that Marion had insisted on doing this. This was HER fault.

Nadine rose and rushed to the edge of the ship. She clung to the railing with an iron grip and half-retched, half-sobbed over the edge.
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Aura

Post by Aura »

The needle went in. Rhonda's hopes were for the collar to fizzle out, or maybe somehow fall open and drop to the ground. She had allowed herself to become too optimistic. Instead, what she heard was the loud wail of the collar, followed by Shoshanna's scream. And then she tried to back as far away as she could in the few moments before Marion's neck erupted.

She managed to get far enough away to avoid damage from the exploding collar, but the blast of gore was another story. Specks of blood scattered onto her shirt and face, along with a few tiny, fleshy chunks. Chunks of Marion. She could feel what little was in her stomach attempting to make its escape up her throat, but she kept it down. She was dealing with too much right now to add that to her list of problems. ALthough the sight of Nadine doing exactly that made her own struggle that much harder.

Rhonda's mind was stuck in a mix of anger and sorrow, both coming from the exact same sources. First, Marion was dead. She was one of the smartest in the group, and she was devoted enough to their cause to let them experiment with her collar after she was wounded. And second was the collar explosion itself. They had an idea, exactly one idea on how they could get out of this floating slaughterhouse, and that hope went away along with Marion's throat. They had made their move, and it didn't work. They were still in the game.

With a shout of pain and frustration, Rhonda punched the deck of the ship. It made her hand hurt, but everything else was already wrong, so it barely even mattered.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Shoshanna closed her eyes as tightly as she could. She wanted to just scream and cry some more, but she wasn't going to let the bough break. They failed to save Marion, and Shoshanna's theory failed. Nadine would probably going to get the kill credit, but Shoshanna had to feel responsible. Marion put the choice in her hands, and she couldn't even give the girl a successful removal and assurance her sacrifice meant something.

Shoshanna opened her eyes and glanced up to the night sky. No, Marion's death would mean something. If Edison could prove there were 1,000 ways to not make a lightbulb, Shoshanna could surely replicate the same with collar removals. There was still more they could do, and they weren't entirely out of options.

Shoshanna lowered her head and looked to Rhonda and Nadine. Both girls were covered in Marion's blood and reacting badly.

"Hey guys," Shoshanna said, keeping her voice low and reassuring. "Take a moment, and when you're ready, let's move Marion inside. Let's give her some dignity at the end."
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Over the thunderous roar in her ears, Nadine could just make out what Shoshanna was asking. She wanted help moving Marion inside, the way they'd done for Jasper. It was the right thing to do, as it had been for him, but it was also something Nadine absolutely wasn't up to. She couldn't even handle looking at Marion, much less touching. It had been a tall order for Jasper, someone she didn't know; bringing Marion inside felt herculean by comparison.

The clipper ship felt less like a shelter and more like a tomb.

She eased on the death grip she had on the railing. Much as she didn't want to do it, Shoshanna was right. Marion deserved what little they could do for her, no matter how awful it was. She particularly deserved it from Nadine, given what she'd done for her, and what Nadine had done to her. And much as she wanted to delay it, no amount of time would actually prepare her for it. Pulling back from the ship's edge, she responded.

"Okay. When-" her voice caught, and she sighed before continuing, "whenever you're ready."
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi