Crash Course

Mentorshot.

The upper deck of the ferry is open to the air, and offerings direct access to the nearby house boat via a particularly precarious metal gangplank that shifts with the rocking waves. The upper deck has markedly less cover than the lower; aside from the stairwells offering the opportunity to duck down, it's all benches and railings.
Dogs231
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Crash Course

Post by Dogs231 »

((Cory Cartwright continued from The Commutative Property))

Cory walked slowly up the steps of the ferry as he attempted to get a breath in. If his estimation was right, he had spent around 45 minutes going from the shop boat to the ferry, a significant portion of which was spent running. His body ached, and his eyes were heavy. He needed a place he could sit down and recover.

He stepped onto the upper deck and placed his bag on a nearby bench before sitting beside it. He scanned around him to make sure he was alone before flicking his flashlight off and placing it within his pocket.

He concluded that if to avoid a situation like that again, he'd need information. He had come into this arena with only the most basic of knowledge on the show. From the start, he was at a disadvantage in terms of knowledge. But, he did have a mentor. He was sure they'd have at least some knowledge to provide him with.

He tapped several times on the side of the collar.

"I'd like to talk. I have questions that I want to ask you."
[+] PRESENT
SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V1:
[ERROR: RELATIONSHIP THREAD UNAVAILABLE.]
Appearance Tracker

O18: Alexander "Lex" Latimer - "You've got something to go home to, right? Then it's yours."
Assigned Weapon: Pistol Auto 9mm 1A, Pistol Auto 9mm 1A
Location: He prepared for the end in The Mysterious Circle - United by the Moment.
Pregame History: [ERROR: PREGAME HISTORY UNAVAILABLE.]
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

SOTF: Cyber
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE]

A01: Solana "Sunny" Lucero Estelle - "—maybe I'll die. But, you know, united we stand, united we fall. Something like that, anyway. If I'm going, well, I'm going down swinging."
Designated Weapon: W-7 — Gold Silverware Set
Designated Utility: U-26 — Surveillance System
Location: She met her match and lost the game in The Distorted Homeroom (Room 308) - Error.
In-Game History: 1/1

A18: Daniel Arista - "It ain't right for a man, you know, to die on his knees." [Adopted from Cob]
Designated Weapon: W-27 — Tennis Racket
Designated Utility: U-18 — Non-Fungible Token (NFT)
Location: He played the game like he was told in The Distorted Homeroom (Room 308) - Error.
In-Game History: 1

ONE ROOM DEATH GAME:

Tyler Becerra - "We're all gonna make it."
Location: He's gambling with his life in The Stage - One Room Death Game.
[+] PAST
SOTF-TV V3:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

ES03: Cory Cartwright - "We can have power over the situation. We can defeat the game. We only need to figure out how."
Assigned Weapon: Diving Knife
Location: He was out of his depth in Jetties: Central - Armageddon Game. [47/81]
Pregame History: 1
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

S015: Noah Davis - "We're alive, and that means we still have a chance to set things right."
Gift: Finger Guns
Location: He tried his best, but came up short in The Flatlands - Pale Rider. [19/43]
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE.]

B15: Shūya Nanahara - "Well, now, I'm no hero, that's understood..."
Assigned Weapon: Icepick, the Power of Rock Music!
Location: He refused to play by the rules in In-Between - The Worst Game in History. [10/42].
[+] CONCEPTS
[+] SOTF-SECOND CHANCES V3

Liam Black is one sick puppy - "No more rain, where's the sunshine when you need it?"
Austin White is always right - "I would very much like to see you prove me wrong."
[+] SOTF-SECOND CHANCES V4

Josh Goodman is living the dream - "For a mad scientist, imagination is the greatest weapon."
[+] SOTF-TV INTERMISSION

Tamarisk Allen is a dead ringer - "We're friends, and friends stay together to the end, right?"
Stryker Williams is the best around - "Now, I'm going to take my first step towards greatness."
Blake Killam is made for this - "This show has been my life, from start to finish."
[+] SOTF-TV V4

Richard de la Cruz is determined to win - "Watch as I do something unimaginable."
Evan Gemstone is ready to die on this hill - "I'll send this whole structure crashing down."
[+] SOTF-U V2

Alex Wituk is vibrating with motion - "I don't know what came over me, but I was on fire with anger!"
[+] SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V2

Kim Song is under watch - "두렵더라도 강해져야 합니다."
[+] SOTF-SUPERS V2

Adam Ka'uhane is forgotten - "Nobody will remember me when I'm gone."
[+] OTHER

Caius Jones is a doomsayer - "The signs are clear; the end is nigh!"
Maxwell Verity is telling the truth - "Life is an equation, and numbers don't lie."
Aiden Chase is speedrunning life - "It's simple, just beat the clock."
[+] EXTRA

SOTF AU V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

B001: Jason Dagon - "They say it's hard taking a life; they're wrong. It's the easiest thing in the world."
Assigned Weapon: IWI UZI
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
Namira

Post by Namira »

The response is almost instant.

"Hey, Cory. What do you need?"
Dogs231

Post by Dogs231 »

As Cory listened to his mentor speak, he leaned forward on the bench, crossing his arms and tapping his index and middle fingers against his left arm.

"I want to start by knowing what you can and can't do. What you, as a mentor, are allowed to provide me."

Cory had only the most basic knowledge of mentors, which was that they were something that existed. He needed a frame of reference, something that could tell him what, if anything, his mentor could do for him. He had other questions, but starting with this one would let him figure out what other questions he could ask.
[+] PRESENT
SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V1:
Appearance Tracker

O18: Alexander "Lex" Latimer - "You've got something to go home to, right? Then it's yours."
Location: He prepared for the end in The Mysterious Circle - United by the Moment.

A01: Solana "Sunny" Lucero Estelle - "—maybe I'll die. But, you know, united we stand, united we fall. Something like that, anyway. If I'm going, well, I'm going down swinging."
Location: She met her match and lost the game in The Distorted Homeroom (Room 308) - Error.

A18: Daniel Arista - "It ain't right for a man, you know, to die on his knees." [Adopted from Cob]
Location: He played the game like he was told in The Distorted Homeroom (Room 308) - Error.

ONE ROOM DEATH GAME:

[+] PAST
SOTF-TV V3:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

ES03: Cory Cartwright - "We can have power over the situation. We can defeat the game. We only need to figure out how."
Location: He was out of his depth in Jetties: Central - Armageddon Game. [47/81]

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

S015: Noah Davis - "We're alive, and that means we still have a chance to set things right."
Location: He tried his best, but came up short in The Flatlands - Pale Rider. [19/43]

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:

Location: He refused to play by the rules in In-Between - The Worst Game in History. [10/42].
[+] CONCEPTS

Liam Black is one sick puppy - "No more rain, where's the sunshine when you need it?"
Austin White is always right - "I would very much like to see you prove me wrong."

Josh Goodman is living the dream - "For a mad scientist, imagination is the greatest weapon."
[+] SOTF-TV INTERMISSION

Tamarisk Allen is a dead ringer - "We're friends, and friends stay together to the end, right?"
Stryker Williams is the best around - "Now, I'm going to take my first step towards greatness."
Blake Killam is made for this - "This show has been my life, from start to finish."
[+] SOTF-TV V4

Richard de la Cruz is determined to win - "Watch as I do something unimaginable."
Evan Gemstone is ready to die on this hill - "I'll send this whole structure crashing down."
[+] SOTF-U V2

Alex Wituk is vibrating with motion - "I don't know what came over me, but I was on fire with anger!"

[+] SOTF-SUPERS V2

[+] OTHER

Maxwell Verity is telling the truth - "Life is an equation, and numbers don't lie."
[+] EXTRA

SOTF AU V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

B001: Jason Dagon - "They say it's hard taking a life; they're wrong. It's the easiest thing in the world."
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
Namira

Post by Namira »

"I can't tell you exactly where people are or guide you to them. I can't reveal team affiliations. I can tell you if there's danger or a dangerous person, but I can't give you direct warnings.

"...Sorry about that.

"Otherwise, um. I can do most things."
Dogs231

Post by Dogs231 »

She couldn't tell him where people were, lead him to anyone, or give him the team affiliations of any given person. She can't give him direct warnings other than that there is danger in the vicinity. Other than that, she can do most other things.

This was good to know. At the very least, he'd have someone watching his back.

"It's fine. Don't worry about it. Is there any pressing information you feel I should know? Who to avoid, what to look for, et cetera. I've had one bad run-in already, and I'd like to avoid such things in the future, if possible."

He didn't want a repeat of the Three Buccaneers, that was for sure. Avoiding people like Gregory would likely prove critical to his continued survival. If she could alert him to those he should avoid, it would make it all the easier to stay safe.
[+] PRESENT
SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V1:
Appearance Tracker

ONE ROOM DEATH GAME:

[+] PAST
SOTF-TV V3:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:

[+] CONCEPTS

[+] SOTF-TV INTERMISSION

[+] SOTF-TV V4

[+] SOTF-U V2

[+] SOTF-SUPERS V2

[+] OTHER

[+] EXTRA

SOTF AU V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

Namira

Post by Namira »

"Anyone wearing a pillowcase on their head. It's a large and dangerous group.

"Otherwise, um, keep an ear on the announcements. It's difficult for me to tell when somebody might be thinking of doing something. I want to hope that they won't, the whole time.

"...Getting out isn't an impossibility just because of teams and the boats. Actually, it's probably easier to get out of bounds.

"Don't do that with your collar on, though.""
Dogs231

Post by Dogs231 »

She warned him of people wearing pillowcases. An odd group to fear, to be sure, but anyone could be a threat. That was especially true if they were as large and dangerous as she implied.

Keep an ear on the announcements. Cory remembered the names from before. He'd need to find a way to keep track of them further than his memory could carry. This boat seemed particularly barren, at least on the upper deck. He'd have to look for a writing utensil and some paper later. For now, he'd have to rely on his mind.

She talked about her wants and her hopes. And then she made a note of something that had piqued Cory's interest. Escape was not an impossibility. Cory had heard small bits of conversations before, talking about such events. She'd mentioned it directly during their introduction to the game. From what little he knew, they were infrequent at best. It was an uncertain path, fraught with risk.

Cory sighed slightly, pushing himself off of the bench to a stand. He paced slowly, with his left hand against his right elbow, and his right hand closed in a fist and pressed against his chin, giving him the appearance of being deep in thought.

"I remember what you said during the briefing. How you didn't want us to kill, but that you would help us survive. And I feel the same way. I want to live, but..."

He wanted to go home and pretend that this had never happened. He wished to open his eyes suddenly and realize that he'd been asleep and just dreaming. He wanted none of this to be real. He wanted to go home and be the same person he had been before.

"I don't think I can kill. I don't want to let the game change me like that. And that means that escape is, effectively, my only way out."

The question was one of possibility. Around Cory was an open ocean - if he could find a way to disable the mechanism, he was free. All that stood in his way was the metal collar around his neck.

If his memory served him correctly, failure was death. If he made a mistake in disabling the mechanism, it was likely to be the end. There were no second chances. No practicing to make sure everything was perfect.

"In your opinion, do you think that route is possible for me?"

The question was sincere. Cory knew he was intelligent, but his skills had always been in terms of the theoretical. His knowledge was in abstract numbers and symbols. In this matter, he would have to apply what he knew. It was a matter of the practical, and there could be no room for error.

He waited for her to answer.
[+] PRESENT
SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V1:
Appearance Tracker

ONE ROOM DEATH GAME:

[+] PAST
SOTF-TV V3:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:

[+] CONCEPTS

[+] SOTF-TV INTERMISSION

[+] SOTF-TV V4

[+] SOTF-U V2

[+] SOTF-SUPERS V2

[+] OTHER

[+] EXTRA

SOTF AU V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

Namira

Post by Namira »

"I do. And I'll do my best to help every step of the way.

"Having limits doesn't mean I can't answer questions or look things up for you."
Dogs231

Post by Dogs231 »

Cory stopped crossing his arms and touched the side of his collar, the cold metal tingling at his right hand. He would have to find some way to disable it.

He walked towards the front of the boat, the cool air surrounding him as the wooden floor creaked slightly from his steps. If his mentor was right in her assessment of him, he could do so.

However, he didn't know where to start. He was without a plan or template to guide him. He had no reference to draw on for where he should go or what he should try.

"I have one final question. Where do I go from here?"

Maybe she would be able to help him with this. His eyes were starting to hurt. He needed to find somewhere he could rest. A lack of sleep could cause him to make fatal mistakes. He also needed to find something he could use to record information.

"If it helps, I'm looking for a few specific things before I go about planning my escape. I need to sleep, and I'd like something to write with."

He hoped that she'd have the right answer for him.
[+] PRESENT
SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V1:
Appearance Tracker

ONE ROOM DEATH GAME:

[+] PAST
SOTF-TV V3:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:

[+] CONCEPTS

[+] SOTF-TV INTERMISSION

[+] SOTF-TV V4

[+] SOTF-U V2

[+] SOTF-SUPERS V2

[+] OTHER

[+] EXTRA

SOTF AU V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

Namira

Post by Namira »

"A lot of the boats have secluded spots to curl up. Um, best would be one entrance, out of the way, and not in the open. There are a couple decent ones nearby and there's always the marinas.

"I'd say that—"

There's a mild commotion from the other end of the line. An indistinct raised voice, a much tinnier and more distant reply from Emmy.

"I'm not finish—literally it's one more sentence!"

When Emmy resumes at her previous volume, it's in a frantic rush.

"If you start close to where you are and search out, you'll probably find both. Igottagosorrybye."
Dogs231

Post by Dogs231 »

She gave him three simple criteria for where he should choose to sleep before an argument seemed to ensue between her and an unknown person. Cory inferred that she must be limited in how long she can speak to him.

"Goodbye."

He wasn't sure what else to say to her. He wasn't sure when he would next speak to her or if he would speak to her again at all. For now, he was alone.

Cory walked back towards the bench he had sat on and pulled the map and the flashlight from his bag, hitting the switch again to illuminate the slightly crumpled paper. From merely a cursory glance, he could see that the criteria narrowed his selection. The marinas seemed to be the place that matched the standards the most accurately. He would probably be able to find something to write with stashed away in one of them.

He straightened out the paper before folding it back up and placing it within his bag again. He grabbed it from the bench and slung it over his left arm, holding his flashlight in his right.

He made his way back down the stairs, the wood still creaking below his feet.

((Cory Cartwright continued in Adjournement))
[+] PRESENT
SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V1:
Appearance Tracker

ONE ROOM DEATH GAME:

[+] PAST
SOTF-TV V3:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:

[+] CONCEPTS

[+] SOTF-TV INTERMISSION

[+] SOTF-TV V4

[+] SOTF-U V2

[+] SOTF-SUPERS V2

[+] OTHER

[+] EXTRA

SOTF AU V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

Return to “Ferry: Upper Deck (Danger Zone)”