Welcome to the New Age

One Shot

Pines dot the entire valley to a greater or lesser extent. However, it's the eastern slopes of the valley that the trees grow thickest. Here, the trunks are so close together that visibility doesn't extend beyond a few metres, light has difficulty filtering through, and a carpet of needles muffles footsteps completely. Added to the steep terrain, and the stand is not a place many would feel comfortable in for long.
Outfoxd

Welcome to the New Age

Post by Outfoxd »

((Frank Callahan continued from Walden))

Frank wished he had taken some time to think about his options when he was back at the slope. He had busted his ass getting up there, he had made sure he was by himself. He could have commanded the whole valley and attempted to kill his peers at his leisure.

But then, if he was thinking clearly he wouldn't have let

Lisa? She told me but I'm sure it was Lisa.

that girl get away.

But the words had gotten to him. Always the rhetoric, the oration, the goddamned words could twist a young American's head. The words could make a virginal college girl burn her bra in protest, could make a man of God into a man of Allah, could cause a young, All-American boy to defer his duty.

Fucking words.

As he trudged through the pine trees, he made a promise that he wouldn't let words keep him from what needed to be done. He'd be damned.

There was work, and what did a man of the people do when there was work? He rolled up his sleeves and got down in the dirt. No more hissing from the snakes in his ear would get him to take a bite from the apple.

Still, he found himself thinking of her. She'd given him purpose, but she'd sapped his will at the same time.

He dropped against a tree to rest. His breath was ragged. A lump was forming in his throat, even as a few errant tears burned his cheeks.

"Goddammit, I am better than this." He muttered through grit teeth.

If he wasn't, then he would be. It was time for a change.

((Frank Callahan continued in Mozambique Hammer))

Return to “The Pine Stands”