Look At You, Hacker

shits happening

There are enough access points to the roof, strewn across both hallways used by the students and the maintenance tunnels used by the staff, that the rooftop is impossible to barricade or hold—even with the combined effort of multiple coordinated students. There used to be safety fencing twice as tall as the average student, but it's gone now; there's not even a little ledge to demarcate between safety and falling off the edge. The upside of the roof was used, in better times, for student projects, a popular hangout spot for friend groups and smaller clubs without rooms of their own; however, there are no pieces of dedicated furniture native to this area of the school, and it is very sparse now save for the number of steel pylons and contraptions that serviced the illusion of HVAC and water supply. One sight here is the imposing dome of the planetarium, which rises a good ten meters above the rest of the roof. The roof also features the exhaust of the central Air Conditioning (AC) system, which still runs hot, with fan blades the size of a grown man still spinning. The metal mesh used to protect people from falling in is nowhere to be seen.

Moderator: SOTF: Cyber Staff

ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

And so there they were, fighting together. They get rid of this creep and then they could work on beating this game. Zorin knew what to do, but first things first.

The click clack of Zorin’s rifle getting racked buckled through the silence. His breath rattled as he stood, swaying, shaking. He felt the wound in his back overlapping with itself.

“Watch out. They can teleport.” He warned Ripley now he had the time.
Catche thinks my squirrel is Fisk so here's my daily reminder that he is not.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Paris disappeared right before Ripley’s eyes. His axe, still careening towards where they once stood, struck the ground and grazed it.

Near him, Zorin cocked his gun, and for a moment concern flooded Ripley’s mind. Was Zorin still going to fight? Even with that gash in his back? Why hadn’t he escaped like Ripley told him to?

But as he looked upon Zorin, eyes wide with worry, Ripley saw him fight to stay standing, heard his breath shudder out defiantly.

Alright.

Alright!

Ripley understood. He’d done the same thing not even a minute ago: stuck by the other’s side, rationality be damned, because he’d found someone he could call an ally. And in this game, that was someone you couldn’t abandon, come hell or high water.

Ripley spun around and spotted Paris as they regained their footing. How’d they get there so fast? Come to think of it, how’d they manage to sneak up on him and Zorin without either noticing anything?

Ripley couldn’t figure it out. But thankfully, Zorin had him covered.

“Teleportation, huh?”

He glared at Paris, whose katana glistened with his friend’s blood.

“They can jump around as much as they want.”

He put his foot forward and readied his weapon as blood tricked down the blade’s edge, concentrating into a single point.

“They can’t dodge forever.”

A single scarlet drop fell onto the roof below.

Ripley charged one last time.
[+] Characters
Ripley Klein
SOTF: Cyber
Pregame: 1
In Game: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Ripley charged. Dusk was more than ready for him.

As Ripley reached him, Dusk was already on the move. Before his axe could come down, they'd already danced around him, their sword lashing out at their foe as they passed him. It dug deep into Ripley's side, blood rushing forth from the wound and spilling across the roof, muscle and organs visible in the tear they'd created. As they got behind him, they delivered a sharp kick to his spine. The sword's blow had almost certainly been fatal, and probably enough to stop Ripley in his tracks, and the kick should keep him down. At the very least, it'd slow them down enough for Dusk's purposes. Their eyes were already set on their next target; Zorin, somehow standing despite his own terrible wound, readying his gun.

Dusk dashed across the roof, tip of their blade pointed straight at Zorin's chest. They could beat him to it.
[+] TV3
"Finish what you started."
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
"You wouldn’t say that if you knew me better."
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[+] New BRAU
"Just remember me. Okay?"
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

With Ripley fallen, Zorin squeezed the he trigger and screamed.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

One second, Ripley was dashing towards Paris, ready to deal the final blow.

The next, his body hung frozen in place, his mind and the system struggling to register that he’d been slashed through.

A sharp, sudden blow bore into Ripley’s lower back, and the world began to move again. Pain kicked in, blood spewed out, and he crumpled to the floor.

Scarlet spilling from his side met and mingled with the specks of blood already flung from Paris’ sword. Muddled too was his mind, thoughts failing to form completely.

Fragmenting as the world around him broke apart.

Fraying—at the end.

Fainting. Fading.

Failing.

((A05: Rip-
[+] Characters
Ripley Klein
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Gunshots rip through the air.

A scream pulls him back into the present.

His gaze drifts towards its source.

He sees Paris.

He sees Zorin.

They're fighting. Dueling. Playing on a court he isn't fit for.

It's a little hazy. He can't tell if Zorin will make it.

But he’ll have to. One of them has to live.

He tries to reach out to see if he can help.

Nothing goes forward.

He can't do anything but watch.
[+] Characters
Ripley Klein
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

As Paris charged at him, Zorin raged against the inevitable - he screamed, firing his weapon wildly, trying too late to stop his own demise.

It wasn't enough.

The katana pierced straight through Zorin with startling ease. Flesh and bone and organ and muscle alike, it didn't matter; all gave way with little effort. The point of the blade emerged from Zorin's back, drenched in his blood. Dusk had known the blade was sharp - probably sharper than it would be in real life - but this fight had made it clear just how easily it tore through all in its path.

As Zorin's weight bore down on then, Dusk held steady in place. They didn't look at Zorin's face; the wound they'd created had their full attention. They'd seen in the footage how real the violence and death was, but it was another thing altogether to be the one inflicting it, up close and personal with a bloody mess of human tissue. As the thrill of the fight ebbed, a knot of disgust formed in their stomach. It had been a lot easier to start this than it was to see their finished work.

But it didn't matter. They had won. It was over.
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

The gun clattered to the ground as Zorin reached, and failed to grasp the assassin’s sword, the sword plunging through his body and out the other side, as Zorin’s hands settled for his killer’s arms.

A jettison of blood escaped his mouth as this fight was surely over. Ripley was as sure as dead, Zorin was as sure as dead. As soon as he realized the game could be beaten, those hopes were dashed.

Zorin watched the blood pour on the ground, his eyes trailing up.

And yet, he’s still here. Still standing. What was it the cyberninja had said?

He stared the killer in their eyes, then through them as his grip tightened. His eyes focused on a point behind them.

Zorin gritted his teeth as his grip tightened.

“Jump.”
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Twice now, Dusk had assumed Zorin was dead or disabled, and twice now, they'd been proven wrong.

Zorin had grabbed their wrist in a vicious death grip. Their right wrist - the one wearing their teleporter. He'd uttered the jump command, and to Dusk's shock, it actually worked. The both of them were right at the edge of the roof now, Dusk with their back to the dropoff below. They hadn't realized that would even work; they'd assumed only whoever wore it could make it go, not merely whoever was touching it, and they certainly didn't expect it to take both of them. For the second time now, Zorin had flipped the script on them when they least expected it.

This third warp in such a short time was stomach churning. It was taking everything to keep their grip on their weapon and not fall to the floor and vomit.
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

Zorin gripped the ninja’s wrist with one hand, his other tightened around the sword within him. It was at this moment, Zorin couldn’t help to feel some pride at what he’d just done. When all else fails, his genius would bail him out. It always did.

He couldn’t help but smile, white teeth tainted yellow in between red slick gums and lips. His grip tightened, even as the blade cut his palm.

He pushed.

It hurt.

He screamed.

He pushed.

He was free.

The cyberninja stumbled back, heels on the edge.

Zorin stumbled forward, hands in front of his face, like he was trained in the real world.

Nowhere to go.

Hook.

Hook.

Uppercut.

The assassin was airborne. “I am invincible!” would be the last thing they’d have heard before falling three stories to their tomb.

Zorin stumbled back onto his ass, then splayed out onto his back, panting, letting out a raspy laugh.

“I AM INVINCIBLE!” He screamed again, laughing as his hand pulled the red syringe out of his pocket.
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Dusk recoiled from the beating, spinning around and tumbling off the roof. A screamed word escaped their lips as they dropped.

"JU-"

((Dusk continued in this is just a brief improvisation in the dance))
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Ripley sees it all happen, gives Zorin all the support he can from within, urges him on mentally every time he triumphs over Paris. Hoping, and hoping, and hoping that, against all odds, Zorin wins.

And he did. Crazy bastard actually did.

Ripley wheezes out a laugh, but it’s drowned out by blood, blood that he coughs out and adds to the ocean forming around him.

((

He’d kept afloat for this long, but he couldn’t resist the tide forever.

((A

Wave after wave of exhaustion washed over Ripley, whose eyes blurred between watching Zorin and gazing into nothing.

((A05

He wondered how his dad was doing.
[+] Characters
Ripley Klein
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

He did it. He beat that fucker. Zorin’s eyes glazed over as he stared at the red mixture in the syringe. He figured it out, he knew how to beat the game. He knew how to get everyone out.

“I- I am…” he prepared to inject the serum before he heard a gasp behind him.

Ripley wasn’t going to make it. Zorin lowered his arm and panted. He only had one syringe. One chance. The voice in his head was telling him to take it. After all, who else would get them out if not him? He was the genius. The expert hacker. The prodigy son.

Zorin stared at Ripley. His guts were squirming, and it wasn’t the damage done to them. He looked at the syringe. He listened to the voice as it told him to live…

Zorin gripped the syringe tight, raised his arm and pushed forward, making sure not to break it on the asphalt as he climbed forward. He’d heard enough.

The voice sounded like his father.

He wasn’t him.

“R-Ripley… hang in there.” He groaned, as he crawled closer. Inch, by, inch.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Ripley saw Zorin approach him, and he gave him his best grin through the blood and the burning.

“H- hey,” he sputtered, straining to keep his voice above a whisper, “Nice one. Uh, don’t- don’t worry about me, I’ll-.”

((

“Guh. Just give me a sec."

((

"You- you keep moving. Get more people. Figure this out."

((

"I'll find you later.”
[+] Characters
Ripley Klein
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

Zorin kept crawling. Had to do this. If he was to be the one to get everyone out, wouldn’t he have done so already?

Yeah.

He had his chance, and he blew it. But that was ok. It’ll all turn out ok.

He just hoped this syringe really worked and wasn’t Zeph’s idea of a shit prank.

Zorin jabbed Ripley, and injected the health serum.

Return to “The Rooftop”