Blue Monday

The open deck of the cruise ship is still a fairly cramped expanse—stairways and access points to the bowels and corridors are numerous, as are ladders over the edge, and a number of lifeboats provide potential cover. Elsewhere, benches and folding chairs create small circles suitable for conversation. From the deck, one can take in almost all of the flotilla with a little walking; only the clipper ship's crow's nest offers a higher vantage point.
DerArknight
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by DerArknight »

"Sure, I will try." Chris answered.

Just standing there doing nothing despite being the one to bring the topic up would have been awkward.

But not as awkward as praying for the dead while holding a weapon in your hands.

So he sat down the gun and positioned himself to the left of Mary so they kinda stood together.

"Ready when you are."
[+] Those who struggle
Cyber
Zeph Newman

U
Elizabeth Rodney (adopted from Salic) Currently on a new low in tomorrow will only get worse

SC3
Chris Tyrell
Ethan Kemp
Fabiano Vecoli
[+] Those who rest
TV3
Sofia Kowalski (adopted from SansaSaver) [30/81] - Just where... did it all went so wrong?
Chris Tyrell (adopted from Irina Ivanov) [6/81] - That was the magic of SOTF-TV.

INTL
Fabiano Vecoli [17/29] - Weird. Why hadn't he noticed this sooner?

Supers
Gary Greer-Wheatly [26/43] - I am doing bad. You?

NBRAU
Keita Iijima [37/42] - Do you think... they are really gone?
Noriko Nakagawa [13/42] - It was nothing she looked forward to.

U
Arthur "Art" Miles [13/29] - Hold on. You actually believe this whole bullshit about Survival of the Fittest?
[+] Those whose time shall come
TV Intermissions
Leland Pierpoint
Stuart "Stu" Tyler
Lucina "Lucy" Pierpoint

TV4
Claudia Harper
Shanoa Priest

SC4
Kathleen Martin
???

INTL V2
Leonie Fuchs
Leon Fuchs
Espi
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Espi »

"That was Amanda's gun."

((Kaya Robinson continued from Nowhere to Go))

She had called out from the door as she opened it, gun held loosely in her free hand as she looked between the two people at the edge of the bannister.

Kaya's hat was long gone, her coat stained with blood on her left shoulder. Her expression was blank and hard, like slate. "Amanda Brookes, I mean. Last I saw, she was aiming for the ten kill award, but Seo-yun beat her, so I guess she gave up."

Her eyes settled on the boy, then the girl, then back to the boy. "Hey, Chris. Nice seeing you again. And, uh. Mary, right?" she asked. She smiled emptily. "Been a bit. Nice you're still kicking, I suppose."

Kaya leaned up against the doorframe with her right shoulder pressed into the metal, wincing slightly as she adjusted her bloody arm. "What've you been up to? From the sound of it, things didn't go so great with Stokes after Beth and I left." Her features dropped. "Sorry 'bout that."
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Mary tried to think of something to say. It was weird to pray for someone who you don’t even know who they are? And like, it was funny. As Pastor Jie Cheung’s kid, she was often assigned to all sorts of duties around the church. There were some nice things about it, like, she knew the layout of the place by heart, and she sometimes had the keys inside to open and close the building, which was kinda cool. Sometimes she’d have to do various behind-the-scenes stuff with events, which was fun when she got to help plan stuff like lock-ins. But, then she had to plan stuff in her schedule around that, which sucked when people at school were hosting something and she had to figure out the logistics. And then, there were expectations. Like, they expected her to live up to that standard, the same one she’d given up a long time ago, and heaven forbid if they were people like Anthony. Plenty of them looked down on things like dark clothes and certain music and premarital sex and being gay and being a troublemaker and having certain thoughts and who knew what else. And, well, things were getting better, but she preferred to hang with the more chill people in the youth group for a reason.

It was funny because, even now, in the middle of a televised death match, she was expected to do her duties.

She clasped her hands in front of her. Closed her eyes.

Then, as if God was listening and decided that now was the best time to answer a question, someone piped up. Mary opened her eyes and looked. Squinted. Tried to follow what she-- Kaya?-- was trying to say.

Apparently, she recognized the gun as belonging to someone named Amanda who went for the ten k, but gave up. Mary took a beat to process it.

“Uh… hey. We’re just… doing a prayer circle, I supposed,” she laughed. “Uh… do you want to join in?”

Another beat.

“Also, uh… beat as in she physically beat her, or…?”
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Just as Mary seemed ready to start, someone new joined the impromptu mass.

Somehow, Chris managed to not show any hint of surprise. He turned around and saw one half of the duo that had shopped at the restaurant an eternity ago. But it was clear that apart from lacking an ally, Kaya was much worse for wear, spotting some new wounds and bloody clothes. And that wasn't even going into the emptiness in her eyes.

However, she hadn't shot them in the backs before announcing herself and her weapon was not directly aimed at the two. Outside of the show this would be normal behavior, but here it was very noteworthy and highly appreciated.

"Ehh... yeah, glad to see you too." He answered at her greeting. "And no need to apologize. It was the fault of Fisk and his psycho-gang who just attacked us without provocation. They are really fucked up, so be careful if you see them. Although according to the announcements, only Fisk himself and Verity are left of the group.

"After that, I didn't do much except looking for what remains of my team. Not without success."

He gestured to Mary, who also greeted Kaya, albeit more careful. Chris was split between understanding and hoping Mary wouldn't screw them over. It was already good that he had put aside the gun before Kaya appeared. Dying in a unnecessary firefight caused by poor trigger discipline would have sucked.
[+] Those who struggle
Cyber
Zeph Newman

U
Elizabeth Rodney (adopted from Salic) Currently on a new low in tomorrow will only get worse

SC3
Chris Tyrell
Ethan Kemp
Fabiano Vecoli
[+] Those who rest
TV3
Sofia Kowalski (adopted from SansaSaver) [30/81] - Just where... did it all went so wrong?
Chris Tyrell (adopted from Irina Ivanov) [6/81] - That was the magic of SOTF-TV.

INTL

Supers

NBRAU

U
Arthur "Art" Miles [13/29] - Hold on. You actually believe this whole bullshit about Survival of the Fittest?
TV Intermissions
Leland Pierpoint
Stuart "Stu" Tyler
Lucina "Lucy" Pierpoint

TV4
Claudia Harper
Shanoa Priest

SC4
Kathleen Martin
???

INTL V2
Leonie Fuchs
Leon Fuchs
Espi

Post by Espi »

Kaya shrugged.

"Eh. Just hanging out. Figured you two seemed friendly, and the quiet's kind of grating on me." She looked over at Chris. "Not sure who else is left that's not, you know, homocidal mania and all."

She looked over to Mary. "Oh, I dunno if they fought or not. I just know Seo-yun got out first, so that kinda fell off the table."

As she spoke, Kaya's gaze turned between the others' bandanas. Her eyes narrowed, and her lips pursed. "Yeah, uh, glad you found someone. I've got maybe one teammate left now, I think."

She paused. Put her finger to her collar.

"Hey, you back yet, Steph? Any word on that last person? They still kickin'?" She gazed past the other two, further up the deck. "Or am I the last?"
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

“I… see.”

Mary bit her lip. She felt her hand rub at the other. Flesh and gauze brushed together in thought. Closed her eyes again, as tightly as she could. Breathed. Breathed. Breathed.

Opened them.

She mindlessly reached down to grab her oar. It helped to have something in her hands. Plus, she wasn’t certain if Kaya was… you know. She seemed friendly and not looking to pick a fight, but you never know.

The oar was insurance. Holding it, tapping her fingers on it, rolling it, it gave restless hands something to do. And, well, it gave the rest of the body protection. She’d never thought she’d have such an appreciation for a long piece of carved wood.

She couldn’t help but feel a corner of her lip twitch at the whole ‘not without much success’, though.

“Uh, I saw Leah and we partnered for a bit. Then… we ran into Seo-yun. And now it’s just me and Chris for the time being.”

She wondered if Kaya ran into the Purge Cult too? Right now she seemed focused on talking to 'Steph', presumably a mentor.
Wham Yubeesling

Post by Wham Yubeesling »

A voice comes out, quiet enough that only Kaya can hear it:

"It's-"

A pause.

"It's just you."
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Kaya talked normally, but Chris felt that something was off about her. There were moments when she looked nervous at the duo before returning to acting all casual as if they weren't trapped in a murder competition. It slowly started to creep him out.

Now Kaya put them on the backburner to chat with her mentor. Fair enough. Naive, but fair enough.

Speaking of mentors, he wondered why Jewel needed so long. Was she being extra thoroughly with her research? Or had she feared that Kaya might attack them while they were distracted by listening to her?

In Chris' opinion, a mix of both would be preferable.

While Kaya was hopefully concentrating on her mentor's answer, Chris leaned a little bit in Mary's direction and whispered something no non-Leviathan would hopefully hear.

"If she starts acting hostile, I need you to divert her attention so I can go for the gun. Two seconds should suffice."

He couldn't have been less thrilled to actually go through with this or any other violent action in the moment, but preparing for the worst was better than simply hoping for the best.
[+] Those who struggle
Cyber
Zeph Newman

U

SC3
Chris Tyrell
Ethan Kemp
Fabiano Vecoli
[+] Those who rest
TV3

INTL

Supers

NBRAU

U
TV Intermissions
Leland Pierpoint
Stuart "Stu" Tyler
Lucina "Lucy" Pierpoint

TV4
Claudia Harper
Shanoa Priest

SC4
Kathleen Martin
???

INTL V2
Leonie Fuchs
Leon Fuchs
Espi

Post by Espi »

Kaya frowned. Her eyes flicked over her shoulder, away from the other two, before returning to them. Her eyes narrowed as she glanced between Mary and Chris. "Anyway," she said.

Kaya took a breath. "Well, Bethan's over there, if you were wondering." She pointed past the two with her free hand. In the distance, a pink bandana could be seen hanging limply from a wooden pole, visible just over the edge of the top deck.

Two steps back, into the doorframe, as Chris and Mary moved closer, eyes focused on them. "Dunno who else you've seen around. I ran into Anthony and Amy earlier. Not at the same time, I mean."

With a shrug, Kaya cocked her head. "Not sure who else is around at this point. Bunch of killers, I think. Hard to say about anyone else."

Another step back.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Bethan.

Mary hunched deeper into herself. Bethan, Bethan. Bethan was here, just a pile of meat and bones. Bethan, she who guzzled down energy drinks. Bethan, who was alive in every sense of the word, perhaps more so than some people. And she was here, just an arm with a pink bandana.

Chris had leaned in, asking her to distract Kaya if she proved a threat. Mary had some ideas, hell, she could ask her if she thought cereal was a soup or stew, and use that little brief confusion. Or! She could run in, but that’s doubtful as to whether that’d get her killed.

But, these were only bubbles of thought to the mention of Amy and Bethan, especially the knowledge that Bethan was, well, here. And to the thought of Seo-yun, while we’re at it.

Her hands slowly rubbed up and down the oar.

“Ah… ah… Bethan, then? Ah…”

Focus Mary.

Another tight squeeze of the eyes. Another opening. Another breath.

“Anthony’s… kinda a fundie loser, right? Did he try to witch hunt you like the sinner you are, too?”

She laughed, but her gaze was still on the arm Kaya gestured to.

“I guess there’s Fisk’s little Purge cult, too. But, uh, down to two, I think…?”

She wanted to run up to see Bethan. Just, you know, to confirm it to herself, maybe a bit of closure. But… but. But...
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

So that was why Kaya was acting strange. Losing her friend must have messed her up.

Chris could sympathize with that. While he had done his best to distract himself with the shop, hearing about the deaths of Marion, RJ and some others he had been close to had shaken him as well. And he hadn't even saw it happening.

However, that didn't make Kaya less of a potential threat.

Mary meanwhile revealed she know some stuff about Anthony. Something about him witch hunting? Seeing how Anthony had been at school, Chris wasn't surprised the boy had snapped.

Then she mentioned Fisk's group being down to two, which would have been useful information if it weren't for the fact he had said it mere seconds ago. An annoyed frown showed on his face for a moment while he kept a close eye on Kaya. Her mentor had apparently answered, so for all he knew, she now could have been persuaded to attack them after all.
[+] Those who struggle
Cyber
Zeph Newman

U

SC3
Chris Tyrell
Ethan Kemp
Fabiano Vecoli
[+] Those who rest
TV3

INTL

Supers

NBRAU

U
TV Intermissions
Leland Pierpoint
Stuart "Stu" Tyler
Lucina "Lucy" Pierpoint

TV4
Claudia Harper
Shanoa Priest

SC4
Kathleen Martin
???

INTL V2
Leonie Fuchs
Leon Fuchs
Espi

Post by Espi »

"He's killed like seven people, so beats me, but definitely not a cool dude."

Kaya shrugged. Her grip on the gun tightened. "I know Amy's dead. I haven't seen jack all of Fisk or anyone with him all game." She looked over her shoulder, then snapped back to Chris. "No idea who else is around. 'Sides the folks who're announcement mainstays. That'd be uh, Akeno and Ivan, Verity I think?"

She glanced past Mary's shoulder, then back at Mary. "But yeah. Me and Bethan were on the same team, so we hung out for a bit. Then Amy happened." She scowled, just briefly. "Anyway, yeah. I'm just kinda here now. Seeing what happens."

Kaya looked Chris in the eye. "I can stick around, or head out if you like. Don't mind much either way, honestly."
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Why oh why did you scrunch your face there, Chris? Was it the lack of fiber again? Mary squinted at him, frowning until she remembered. Oh, right, she just parroted him. Gah, stupid dumb Mary.

Maybe he was starting to regret this. Maybe it was just Chris… being Chris again.

Her shoulder heaved in a sigh. She had to remind herself not to flip out again, lest she ruin this partnership.

“Uh, right. Amy…”

She was dead too.

A lot of people were dead.

Who else was dead and she didn’t know?

“Again, we were just… praying over Amanda, I guess. It might be awkward if you stick around since I knew Amy and Bethan, but… uh… Chris? How do you feel?”
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Chris scratched his chin to hide his surprise. Mary actually asking him to lead was not what he had expected.

Finally he directed his answer to Kaya.

"If you want to just pay respect to the dead, you are welcome to join us for the moment. However, if you were asking for a longer team-up, I have to say no."

He pointed at the black bandanna around his arm.

"Don't take it personal, but you simply ain't one of us."
[+] Those who struggle
Cyber
Zeph Newman

U

SC3
Chris Tyrell
Ethan Kemp
Fabiano Vecoli
[+] Those who rest
TV3

INTL

Supers

NBRAU

U
TV Intermissions
Leland Pierpoint
Stuart "Stu" Tyler
Lucina "Lucy" Pierpoint

TV4
Claudia Harper
Shanoa Priest

SC4
Kathleen Martin
???

INTL V2
Leonie Fuchs
Leon Fuchs
Espi

Post by Espi »

Shrug.

"Yeah, figured. I know how this goes. Just..." she looked over her shoulder absently. "Dunno. Anyway, didn't really know Amanda, so I'll just be on my way."

"Good luck, I guess."

Kaya walked backwards, neutral eyes still set between the two of them. The door opened, she turned around, and she walked inside, slamming it shut behind her and disappearing deeper into the ship.

((Kaya Robinson continued in Bombs in the Void))

Return to “Cruise Ship: Deck”