Don't see the problems here

Meatspace, during PE. Open

Before the events of SOTF: Cyber, the students of Sycamore High School were just ordinary kids with ordinary lives—these are the stories of their lives before they found their tragic fates at the hands of the terrorists.

Characters may be present in one sandbox (present) or memory (past) thread at a time, in addition to supplemental oneshots or multishots.

Moderator: SOTF: Cyber Staff

CardboardAirplane

Don't see the problems here

Post by CardboardAirplane »

[ Ilya Arkadi Sandbox: Start ]

Ilya sat slouched to the side on one of the gymnasium bleachers; it was like he would fall over from the slightest breeze. Of course he was just playing up his boredom; Ilya didn't actually mind the wait all too much.

Unlike Cyber Reality, Ilya tried to appear like an actual person here. If you didn't know him, you'd assume that he was not the kid constantly trying to dress himself up like a water dog. He had brought a jacket to class even though he was planning on taking it off once class actually started. It was all about style once he arrived. He liked the whole summer aesthetic he had even though it was, evidently, not summer.

"You know," He sat up, stretched, and yawned. "It's a war crime if the teacher doesn't come in fifteen minutes and we're still here. Check it, it's in the Geneva Convention."

It has only been two minutes since the Saturday class had started, but Ilya was going to be the first one to point this out. Most of the time in the past he had said this — sometimes even after the clock says a couple of seconds had gone by — in the hopes that he could will it to existence.

It wasn't like he hated the class or anything, but the idea of the teacher just straight up not showing up to physical education one day was just funny enough in his mind to constantly wish for it. If anything, people not showing up was one of the interesting things about this class. The intrigue had mostly worn off, but for a while it had mildly intrigued him as to why some kids didn't show up.

Physical injuries or disabilities? He could understand that. Just choosing not to do it because it was optional? Yeah he'd totally skip science too if it wasn't optional. Something more important going on? Got that too.

Someone just being too afraid of being seen outside of a screen? Grow up, you've had elementary to middle school to get used to it, at least that's how it went for Ilya so he could assume it was the same for others. Those were the more interesting ones to him.

"Like, we're breaking the law if we stayed here long enough, really makes you think."

To tell the truth, Ilya was pretty sure he was getting something mixed up about his little saying here. But also he couldn't give a damn if that was the case. Freudian slip, it happens to anyone.
[+] DOTF, which is only here because signatures are cool
[+] DOTF V1
Image S019: Phoenix Hanover - ELIMINATED 57th of 106 by the tiger on Day 3 ~ Instinctively she wanted to run, but the fear dragged her down.
1/2/3
Image S055: Raymond Bright - ELIMINATED 6th of 106 by Rafael Al-Rifai on Night 4 ~ "I think deep down, I really believed someone good would've had an actual chance of winning this."
1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14
Image S078: John Villarreal - ELIMINATED 47th of 106 by volcanic eruption on Day 3 ~ "Oh god, oh fuck," *screaming* "I'm gonna fucking die!"
1/2
Image S085: Rachel Villarreal - ELIMINATED 16th of 106 by Vicky Williams on Night 3 ~ Turns out it's a bit harder to actually be able to back up her words.
1/2/3/4
[+] DOTF V2
Image S020: Sinclair "Syn" Faust - ALIVE
Image S021: Maxie Flamur - ALIVE
[+] SC3
Image Perante "Payton" Losoa: The People Pleaser ~ He wanted to be a good memory. He wanted to put on a good show.
Image Lucy Ashmore: The Recluse ~ See, if you get shy over things like that, then you're never going to get out of this rut, Lucy.
[+] Cyber
Image A13: Ilya Arkadi: The Gadfly - ALIVE ~ What mattered was this: Ilya knew what he wanted, so he'd try and get it.
1/2/3/4/5/6/7
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

The figure curled up besides him shrugged.

"I don't think that's true."

"But if we stay long enough, that's false imprisonment charges." That would be a novel experience. There's a joke to be made about school, and P.E especially, being false imprisonment in and of itself. They won't be the one to make that joke.

They didn't like sports, but they also didn't hate sports, and they're very proud of neither being a Sports Person (cringe) nor someone who bases their personality on being bad at sports (cringier) but a secret third thing of being Normal. Though knowing that the teacher gave even less of a shit than they did made them feel increasingly annoyed. It's not even like they were particularly looking forward to this. It's just that C Liked Being Healthy and believed in the whole healthy body, healthy mind stuff and they never quite trusted themselves to get up and move around unless there was an element of outside intervention to it. It's like those people signing stuff for when they get old and their brains don't quite work so they designate someone else to make decisions for them.

Also, they were sort of tired of looking the way they did.

Like, masculinity and strength and whatnot aren't exactly appealing (first, of all, not saying that muscles/physique is inherently tied to masculinity) which also makes them sound insane because they are Literally Transgender (not taking into account of the fact that they are trans the way that a table isn't a chair but you can still sit on it/being a not-girl as opposed to being a guy) but also there is something about working out that affirms the not-a-girl to them. Playing into gender roles be damned, they wanted to feel good.

(The kid was right, this really did make them think.)
CardboardAirplane

Huh? It’s not?” He sounded surprised. Or at least like someone who was tired and trying their best to sound as such.

“Well that doesn’t make sense, it’s gotta come from somewhere. I’m not the only one saying this, like, a million people can’t be wrong.”

Or however many people have heard of this anyway. Probably a couple million, a bajillion, more or less that. Ilya never actually searched up the origins of that whole saying. At least it was some confirmation that he had screwed up instead of just having it in the back of his mind and being mildly inconvenient for a couple of hours. Either that, or this girl was wrong and/or bullshitting things as well. C (Or was it See? Zee? Ci?) felt trustworthy though. Not in a “They seem pretty smart” kind of way, he literally had no clue whether that was the truth or not, but more in a “I doubt they would lie to me” kind of way.

Myeeehhhh, false imprisonment? Isn’t that just when jails arrest someone for things they aren’t actually responsible for?”

That wouldn’t make sense, school wasn’t a jail.

Actually, class on a Saturday could count as jail. Ya know, the totally optional class, that one.

It certainly felt as boring as one, weekday classes anyway. Scratch that, they were pretty sure jails were a lot more fun, maybe more dangerous too, but there were probably always gang stuff and prisoner drama going on. Funny how things work, Cyber Reality has the ability to do all of this cool shit, but they couldn’t bother to pump dopamine through them during the school day just so they feel more inclined to pay attention.

Was that possible? It felt like it should be; servers could make you feel pain and make you feel like you’re high as a kite, making you not bored the entire day doesn’t feel that far out there. Oh yeah he was totally a genius for that idea. Don’t make them high obviously, but elevate their emotional state a couple of notches. Just why wasn’t that a thing already?
[+] DOTF V1
Image S019: Phoenix Hanover - ELIMINATED 57th of 106 by the tiger on Day 3 ~ Instinctively she wanted to run, but the fear dragged her down.
1/2/3
Image S055: Raymond Bright - ELIMINATED 6th of 106 by Rafael Al-Rifai on Night 4 ~ "I think deep down, I really believed someone good would've had an actual chance of winning this."
Image S078: John Villarreal - ELIMINATED 47th of 106 by volcanic eruption on Day 3 ~ "Oh god, oh fuck," *screaming* "I'm gonna fucking die!"
1/2
Image S085: Rachel Villarreal - ELIMINATED 16th of 106 by Vicky Williams on Night 3 ~ Turns out it's a bit harder to actually be able to back up her words.
1/2/3/4
[+] DOTF V2
[+] SC3
Image Perante "Payton" Losoa: The People Pleaser ~ He wanted to be a good memory. He wanted to put on a good show.
Image Lucy Ashmore: The Recluse ~ See, if you get shy over things like that, then you're never going to get out of this rut, Lucy.
[+] Cyber
Image A13: Ilya Arkadi: The Gadfly - ALIVE ~ What mattered was this: Ilya knew what he wanted, so he'd try and get it.
1/2/3/4/5/6/7
EllisWilson

Post by EllisWilson »

As the conversation was going on, Ray Sullivan was making an awful, clattering racket by running up and down the bleachers repeatedly. He couldn’t wait, couldn’t sit down. Sitting down was the enemy, and the enemy would be met with extreme retribution if Ray had anything to say about it. He was climbing them and descending them at such a rapid pace that his latest descent ended with his foot slipping further down than he was prepared for, so he wound up sitting down after all, if very suddenly.

Alright, that’s done with. He thought. Now what? He perked an ear up, listening for something he could grace with his presence. What he got was a conversation between Arkadi and… that other one. He really should figure out what their name is, it’s just fucking embarrassing not to know that.

From about halfway up the bleacher steps, Ray called out. “False imprisonment is when you keep a lady hostage in your house.”

Was that actually what it was? He couldn’t remember. Whatever, he was involved now, that’s what counted.
FlockOfHens

Post by FlockOfHens »

Laying back on the other side of the bleachers, Rikario could feel every vibration of Ray running up and down the steps. As he stared off into the ceiling, he couldn't help but hear C and that Vaporeon kid complaining about the PE teacher not being present. "They should probably give them some time," He thought to himself. "Maybe they're having technical difficulties or something, they'll show up soon..."

As his other classmates talked more, Rikario couldn't agree with them about Saturday school being related to the Geneva Convention or some sort of juvenile prison, although their school felt like a prison as it was. However, he agreed it's pretty jarring for a Saturday to be wasted on classes. It's not like he wanted to be here, but he had to attend to clear up a few absences and tardies he received in the past, and maybe use that time to fix his grades as well. Nonetheless, he started to feel the boredom sink on him. The fact that their teacher won't be coming today dawned on him as he quietly mumbled a song he previously heard from his vinyls. He might understand why their teacher didn't want to show up, but next time, at least give your students a heads-up. "What are we supposed to do now? Jumping-jacks? Sit-ups?" He thought. Still thinking of a way to aid his lack of enthusiasm, he turned over to where his classmates were sitting. Maybe he can join in on their conversation and strike up topics on a few interests...

...but it'd probably be better otherwise to remain silent as they drone on their complaints. Rikario continued to lie down on the bleachers, looking up at the ceiling while still softly humming his songs.
My Kids!
[+] Currently Playing
  • Rikario Dalton (Cyber) / The Frail
    "W-why... why am I... still p-pretending... e-e-everything will be... o-okay..?"
[+] In The Future
  • Zachill "Hill" Eldman (DOTF)/ The Doubtful
    "There's always a silver lining to every problem!"
  • Jane-Elise Palbrooke (DOTF) / The High-Flyer
    "People keep sayin' they wanna be famous through this or that; I just wanna be successful."
  • Ailwin De Vonte (Hellbent) / The Failure
    "The world was beginning to lose its color... Its flavor... It became so hollow..."
  • "Kreeck" (Fastest) / The Faithful
    "I SPOKE TO THE LORD, AND HE SPOKE TO ME. HE CHANTED, "CHILD, I MUST HAVE AN ARMY. BRING ME AN ARMY." AND LO, I SHALL FULFILL HIS WISHES."
  • "Maroon" (ROGUE - Coming Soonish!) / The Beneficial
    "Oh darling, I'm making bank the best way I know how!"
  • Acaylah Jaisuke "AJ" Hawke (DEAD-END - Coming Soonish!) / The Wandering Bard
    "Sometimes, you gotta pave a new road to drive on."
CardboardAirplane

It's like a white noise machine just stopped, except replace “white noise machine” with “repeating footsteps over and over” because a kid just fell over or something, he didn’t actually turn back until after Ray had sat back up. Ilya was tempted to ask for it to happen again so he could see it, and maybe he should have asked if he was okay after suddenly stopping like that, but the words never left his mouth. Instead, he took the time to think of a reply.

“That’s lame, that’s not false, that’s like actual imprisonment, or kidnapping instead. It’s not false imprisonment if you actually have a captive.” Ilya eventually said. It was stupid, and he was pretty sure he just contradicted himself in no less than five seconds, but who was really keeping track aside from him anyway?

He stretched his arms out again, emphasising the point that he could probably go for a catnap even if realistically he should’ve been fully awake by now — he was, just to clear that up — because there was no bigger joy than letting that teacher know that they were taking too long, even if they have literally no method of actually seeing this. Scratch that, he could probably think of at least one thing more joyful than this, maybe two if he thought long and hard enough.

“Mmmmmm I’ve got an idea.” He stood up, speaking to nobody in particular, but projecting his voice loud enough for everyone to hear. Talking to a crowd, even if he’s just staring at a random brick in the wall. It was a good brick.

“Anyone else just wanna leave? Like, let's just disown this guy, walk out of here. Nobody tell, and if the teacher ever shows up and asks, we got hit by a car on my way here.”

Great idea, to reiterate, for the completely optional class that nobody was forced to go to. He could’ve just said he was sick too, but imagine the look on the teacher’s face when they’re told Ilya got hit by a car. Sure, that can only go well, it was… Actually, not that funny. It wasn't that the teacher would think it was serious, it was just one of those things that should stay in the theoretical area.

Really his idea was to run his mouth until something happened, he was hoping he could spout bullshit long enough until someone shows up. Have to spice things up somehow. What's something else that comes to mind. Rap battle maybe?
[+] DOTF V1
1/2/3
1/2
1/2/3/4
[+] DOTF V2
[+] SC3
[+] Cyber
1/2/3/4/5/6/7
FlockOfHens

Post by FlockOfHens »

Rikario still had his eyes set on the ceiling mumbling a few verses from any son he could think of from his vinyls, but during his humming, he could hear one of his classmates stand up from where they were sitting and declare a sort of idea.

“Anyone else just wanna leave? Like, let's just disown this guy, walk out of here."

That was the Vaporeon guy's voice, it looks like he's addressing that to the very few people here. But is that even possible? Were they allowed to just ditch during class? Well, maybe if their teacher showed up. But still, it didn't sound like a wise decision to just get up and walk on out of here. Besides, There's gotta be some consequences with whatever idea the Vaporeon guy is planning, like what if the teacher shows up at the exact moment they leave? And even if they were to lie to another teacher, getting hit by a car wouldn't be a good excuse. Wait, were there cars in CR? Huh. He never thought about that. The only cars he could think of were the ones in that driving school simulator. Maybe he should learn how to drive, his parents were telling him so after all...

...What was he thinking of again? Right, ditching class. He still doesn't think it's a good idea. Without much thought, Rikario pipes up in a meek, soft-spoken voice, "U-uhhh... W-wouldn't we... get in... trou... ble..."
My Kids!
[+] Currently Playing
  • Rikario Dalton (Cyber) / The Frail
    "W-why... why am I... still p-pretending... e-e-everything will be... o-okay..?"
[+] In The Future
  • Zachill "Hill" Eldman (DOTF)/ The Doubtful
    "There's always a silver lining to every problem!"
  • Jane-Elise Palbrooke (DOTF) / The High-Flyer
    "People keep sayin' they wanna be famous through this or that; I just wanna be successful."
  • Ailwin De Vonte (Hellbent) / The Failure
    "The world was beginning to lose its color... Its flavor... It became so hollow..."
  • "Kreeck" (Fastest) / The Faithful
    "I SPOKE TO THE LORD, AND HE SPOKE TO ME. HE CHANTED, "CHILD, I MUST HAVE AN ARMY. BRING ME AN ARMY." AND LO, I SHALL FULFILL HIS WISHES."
  • "Maroon" (ROGUE - Coming Soonish!) / The Beneficial
    "Oh darling, I'm making bank the best way I know how!"
  • Acaylah Jaisuke "AJ" Hawke (DEAD-END - Coming Soonish!) / The Wandering Bard
    "Sometimes, you gotta pave a new road to drive on."
EllisWilson

Post by EllisWilson »

Oh, so that’s what it meant. Ray rubbed his scalp while he stood back up, ignoring the dull flare up of pain in his butt.

It’d probably bruise, but, really, it wasn’t much to worry about. Maybe if it did he could flash it at people he didn’t like. Get a quick laugh out of it. Maybe those Omega Squad geeks. How would he add-

Wait, Arkadi’s leaving? Disowning? Hit by a car?

Ray just stood dumbly on the bleacher steps, absentmindedly rubbing his rapidly bruising ass, while Rikario spoke up.

“That kids got a good point Arkadi.” He chimed in, pointing at Rikario (Shit gotta learn his name too). “I’m all for fucking around. Not much for finding out, right?”

He thought on his next statement for a second.

“Besides, I don’t get to see a lot of you guys in real life. Look at how sparse it is already, I’ll get bored on my own.”

Return to “Sandbox & Memories”