SOTF: Supers V1 - The Aftermath Oozers

This board exists to hold planning for and discussion of SOTF: Supers.

Moderator: SOTF Supers Staff

VoltTurtle

SOTF: Supers V1 - The Aftermath Oozers

Post by VoltTurtle »

It's time for the Supers awards! These were, at least in part, shamelessly ripped from Main's Plastic Hammers, though with some Supers appropriate adjustments and additions. However, we'll go ahead and give the usual disclaimer before we begin:
A quick reminder: the awards are to celebrate the good stuff, by and large. There are a few places where we ask for criticism and the like, usually about the story/site/game as a whole. That's fine! Just don't take shots at specific handlers/characters here. There are tons of appropriate avenues for expressing criticism and disagreeing with others' opinions and such, so use one of them instead. Do not ironically vote characters you hate into categories you find unflattering.

With that out of the way, have at it~

The Oozers!

The Basics

Handler Name:

Your Trademark Character:

Current Status of Trademark Character:

Favorite Character:

Favorite Scene:

Favorite Death:

Favorite Quote:

Favorite Post:

Favorite Location:

Characters

Best Character Development: What character development has kept you intrigued?

Best Game Impact: Which character do you feel has brought the most positive development to the game as a whole, outside their specific storyline?

Best Innovation: Which character has been a breath of fresh air for you?

Best Realism: Which character is really grounded in reality in a way you find appealing?

Best (Super) Heroic Character: Which good guy has you solidly on their side?

Best (Super) Villainous Character: Who is your favorite ne'er-do-well?

Best Tragic Character: Whose sad and inevitable fate have you most enjoyed lamenting?

Best Humorous Character: Which character made you laugh the most? (And we don't mean "unintentionally". Be nice!)

Best Tactics: Through elimination of the competition or a solid plan for survival, who kept you interested in their struggle to make it back home?

The Sympathy Award: Which character did you feel the most for, and most want good things for?

The Empathy Award: Which character could you most easily put yourself in the shoes of?

The Gone-Too-Soon Award: Which deceased character should have stuck around a little longer?

The He-Had-It-Coming Award: Who best earned their (possibly still forthcoming) demise?

Scenes and Deaths

Best Tragedy: Which scene or death made you the most teary eyed?

The Stomach-Churner: Which scene or death has most effectively played with the gory/violent/overall disturbing side of the game?

Best Impact: Which scene or death do you think best played a positive role in changing the course of the game?

Best Comedy: Which scene or death served as the best comic relief?

The Sunglasses-and-Explosions Award: Which scene or death had the best action going on?

Best Feeling-Inducer: Which scene or death provoked the best emotional reaction from you?

Best Drama: Which scene or death had you on the edge of your seat in the way of conflict, suspense, and drama?

Best Surprise: Which scene or death caught you most off guard in a pleasant way, either through its unpredictable nature or its unique execution?

Best Sandbox/Memories: Which out of game scene was your favorite?

Gifts and Superpowers

Favorite Gift: Which power did you find most entertaining or intriguing?

Best Superhero Gift: Which power did you think was best used (or could have been best used) for good?

Best Supervillain Gift: Which power did you think would have been the most terrifying (or was) were it in the wrong hands?

The Power Pity Award: Which power most made you feel bad for the one "blessed" with it?

The Awesome Curse Award: Which power that the user viewed as a "curse" did you most disagree on?

The "Gimme That!" Award: Which power would you want for yourself?

Predictions, Preferences, and Positions

If you could change ANYTHING that has happened thus far, what would you change?

How much did you enjoy/not enjoy Supers V1?

What do you like the most about Supers V1?

What do you think could have been better about the AU?

What do you think of the Supers metaplot?

How do you feel about Supers V1 compared to other AUs and versions?

How do you think Supers V2 will differ from/compare to Supers V1?

Talk About Yourself

What has been your favorite thing to write in Supers V1?

What are you proudest of in Supers V1?

What do you wish you could improve?

What is your favorite Supers V1 memory?

What else would you like to share? Anything goes!

[+] Code

Code: Select all

[size=150][u][b]The Oozers![/b][/u][/size]

[u][b]The Basics[/b][/u]

[b]Handler Name:[/b] 

[b]Your Trademark Character:[/b] 

[b]Current Status of Trademark Character:[/b] 

[b]Favorite Character:[/b] 

[b]Favorite Scene:[/b] 

[b]Favorite Death:[/b] 

[b]Favorite Quote:[/b] 

[b]Favorite Post:[/b] 

[b]Favorite Location:[/b] 

[u][b]Characters[/b][/u]

[b]Best Character Development:[/b] What character development has kept you intrigued?

[b]Best Game Impact:[/b] Which character do you feel has brought the most positive development to the game as a whole, outside their specific storyline?

[b]Best Innovation:[/b] Which character has been a breath of fresh air for you?

[b]Best Realism:[/b] Which character is really grounded in reality in a way you find appealing?

[b]Best (Super) Heroic Character:[/b] Which good guy has you solidly on their side?

[b]Best (Super) Villainous Character:[/b] Who is your favorite ne'er-do-well?

[b]Best Tragic Character:[/b] Whose sad and inevitable fate have you most enjoyed lamenting?

[b]Best Humorous Character:[/b] Which character made you laugh the most? (And we don't mean "unintentionally". Be nice!)

[b]Best Tactics:[/b] Through elimination of the competition or a solid plan for survival, who kept you interested in their struggle to make it back home?

[b]The Sympathy Award:[/b] Which character did you feel the most for, and most want good things for?

[b]The Empathy Award:[/b] Which character could you most easily put yourself in the shoes of?

[b]The Gone-Too-Soon Award:[/b] Which deceased character should have stuck around a little longer?

[b]The He-Had-It-Coming Award:[/b] Who best earned their (possibly still forthcoming) demise?

[u][b]Scenes and Deaths[/b][/u]

[b]Best Tragedy:[/b] Which scene or death made you the most teary eyed?

[b]The Stomach-Churner:[/b] Which scene or death has most effectively played with the gory/violent/overall disturbing side of the game?

[b]Best Impact:[/b] Which scene or death do you think best played a positive role in changing the course of the game?

[b]Best Comedy:[/b] Which scene or death served as the best comic relief?

[b]The Sunglasses-and-Explosions Award:[/b] Which scene or death had the best action going on?

[b]Best Feeling-Inducer:[/b] Which scene or death provoked the best emotional reaction from you?

[b]Best Drama:[/b] Which scene or death had you on the edge of your seat in the way of conflict, suspense, and drama?

[b]Best Surprise:[/b] Which scene or death caught you most off guard in a pleasant way, either through its unpredictable nature or its unique execution?

[b]Best Sandbox/Memories:[/b] Which out of game scene was your favorite?

[u][b]Gifts and Superpowers[/b][/u]

[b]Favorite Gift:[/b] Which power did you find most entertaining or intriguing?

[b]Best Superhero Gift:[/b] Which power did you think was best used (or could have been best used) for good?

[b]Best Supervillain Gift:[/b] Which power did you think would have been the most terrifying (or was) were it in the wrong hands?

[b]The Power Pity Award:[/b] Which power most made you feel bad for the one "blessed" with it?

[b]The Awesome Curse Award:[/b] Which power that the user viewed as a "curse" did you most think was actually great?

[b]The "Gimme That!" Award:[/b] Which power would you want for yourself?

[u][b]Predictions, Preferences, and Positions[/b][/u]

[b]If you could change ANYTHING that has happened thus far, what would you change?[/b]

[b]How much did you enjoy/not enjoy Supers V1?[/b]

[b]What do you like the most about Supers V1?[/b]

[b]What do you think could have been better about the AU?[/b]

[b]What do you think of the Supers metaplot?[/b]

[b]How do you feel about Supers V1 compared to other AUs and versions?[/b]

[b]How do you think Supers V2 will differ from/compare to Supers V1? [/b]

[size=150][u][b]Talk About Yourself[/b][/u][/size]

[b]What has been your favorite thing to write in Supers V1?[/b]

[b]What are you proudest of in Supers V1?[/b]

[b]What do you wish you could improve?[/b]

[b]What is your favorite Supers V1 memory?[/b]

[b]What else would you like to share? Anything goes![/b]
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

The Oozers!

The Basics

Handler Name: almostinhuman

Your Trademark Character: this piece of shit

Current Status of Trademark Character: oh, you know ;)

Favorite Character: Cecilia, Cecilia, Cecilia. Gundham did a wonderful job bringing her to life and exploring her absolutely awful situation, and I'm utterly thrilled she's among the survivors.

Not gonna get too in depth beyond that here, but honorable mentions go to August, Lily, Kyle, Ximena, Alan, Crispin, Anatoly and Isabella. And really, it's a strong cast overall!

Favorite Scene: Probably The Lotus Eaters. I love the more esoteric powers and scenes in Supers a lot, and Lily effectively creating a little dream world and projecting it out into the desert, even kinda-sorta talking in her sleep via the fairies, was a really cool opener for her and a great scene for both of her threadmates there.

Favorite Death: Your Actions Have Consequences is incredibly grisly and awful for all involved, and also utterly unnecessary and tragic. Love it, can't resist the drama of it all.

Favorite Quote: “𝕊𝕠. H𝕠𝕨 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕙𝕠𝕝𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕦𝕡? 𝔹𝕖𝕔𝕒𝕦𝕤𝕖 𝕀'𝕞 𝕒𝕟 𝕠𝕣𝕓.”

Favorite Post: Mattie's last post - though all of Mattie's posts in this thread are good. My poor heart couldn't take it.

Favorite Location: Austin might not have liked The Recesses, but I sure did. Everyone milked the spooky dark basement for all the horror it was worth.

Characters

Best Character Development: In a way, I think Anatoly. He's got this kind of chipper, friendly energy early on (especially once he gets some blood), but all of that slowly gives way to his monstrous impulses and ultimately erases the rather sweet boy he once was.

Best Game Impact: Javi. Doesn't get much more impactful than enabling the escape of a dozen or so characters, does it? I feel he doesn't always get enough of a nod in this regard so I'm giving it here.

Best Innovation: I think I gotta hand this to Lincoln. Having a character "die" and have to live in a very fundamentally different and kind of existentially horrifying way is the kind of thing that can only really happen in a version like Supers. I do wish rolls had been a little kinder to him so he could've explored it a little more, but what we have is still neat.

Why yes that is partially where I nicked the idea from, sorry Slam.

Best Realism: David's a fairly ordinary dude, with a power that's mildly fantastical at best, and an attitude that's rather grounded compared to the often highly dramatic cast of Supers as a whole. In a way, all that stuff that makes him ordinary ends up letting him stand out quite a bit.

Best (Super) Heroic Character: Not even gonna disguise my bias here as I give it to August. He's one of the more proactively and legitimately good people in the version, and even with his death manages to contribute to saving multiple people (though he also accidentally kills three, but we all make mistakes).

Also gotta give it to Ximena for going back to the deadly game to save people, at least one of whom wouldn't have survived without her intervention. Girl absolutely could've ghosted everyone, so she deserves the nod.

For our third and final contestant, we get a very unlikely hero in Alan! I know Catche didn't intend for him to come off this way initially, but he ended up being a surprisingly sympathetic and proactive character who managed to directly save Crispin and indirectly (via helping Ximena escape) save Claudia, and while he's not a typical protagonist type at all he's perhaps made all the more engaging specifically because of that.

Best (Super) Villainous Character: Astrid's blatant unrepentant murders lamentable witnessing of several totally accidental and unpreventable deaths that she had nothing to do with cements her as one of our most enjoyable villains. That she survived and decided to start exploiting her time in the game adds to that vibe. She's not even an entirely unsympathetic character, but she definitely isn't a good person, and that's not a complaint!

Best Tragic Character: Sydney :(

Best Humorous Character: Honestly, Supers wasn't a very funny version outside of Memories and some of the screwups among the Deerstalkers. That said, Alan's weird sleazy vibe and ridiculous appearance are pretty funny sometimes; I still remember bursting out laughing when Catche showed me his visual inspiration. RIP to his ugly hair, it will be missed.

Best Tactics: Ximena and Alan's clever (and successful, mostly) plan to get Ximena out of the arena so she can get help, as well as Stephen's similar plan and quick thinking in the face of August's explosion and what it enabled them to do.

The Sympathy Award: Kyle, my beautiful bird son. Miss him every day.

Also gonna throw out a controversial and biased pick and give it to Crispin, who I will die on the hill defending if for no other reason that I feel he gets a bit of a bum read sometimes. The dude's undeniably a jerk, but Toxie does a good job tugging on my heartstrings and making me like the squirrel and feel bad for his rather miserable time in the game - and that's despite the fact he survived. He's not necessarily the most sympathetic person here, but I'm picking him here to highlight that I do still find him sympathetic at all.

The Empathy Award: Actually a lot of these kids (folks got very passionate and invested in Supers and that's extremely clear) but I'll give it to Joel. Poor dude's struggling to hang on through all the chaos and do what he thinks is right. Plus his memory stuff is remarkably relatable. I was happy to see it update a bit again when Aftermath opened.

Also gotta point Cecilia's way again - like I said, Gundham did an excellent job portraying her thoughts and feelings throughout her experiences in both her memory thread and the game proper. She remains one of the characters I'm most excited to see more of going forward.

The Gone-Too-Soon Award: Everyone. Isabella getting rolled when she did was super unfortunate; I was all for having a Resident Evil boss stomping around the arena and it's a shame she didn't get to do a whole lot.

The He-Had-It-Coming Award: Cyrus pretty immediately established what an immensely awful dude he was, and was swiftly brought to a very deserved end. He managed to be despicable in the fun way, which makes his time in the game and death a satisfying read.

Scenes and Deaths

Best Tragedy: Everyone in the last rollset, to be quite honest, but especially Lucine's failed escape attempt. Knowing, from an in-universe perspective, how close she came to making it only to die like that is just real awful.

The Stomach-Churner: Claudia's stomach being ripped open to the point where her organs are visible. The descriptions of the damage are utterly chilling and grotesque; that she ultimately managed to survive is little comfort.

Best Impact: First off, of course, is Raise, Fold, which allowed the escape to happen in the first place.

After that, there's August's explosive death, which killed multiple other characters but also allowed several more a chance at their own escape attempts and just generally made for good drama.

Best Comedy: Crispin getting smacked by a chair - complete with sound effect! Moose Egg in general has a lot of silly shit in it, which stands out in a version that largely isn't very funny at all; even all the followup to this thread is far more serious and grim.

The Sunglasses-and-Explosions Award: Your Actions Have Consequences, being a big multi-participant battle with brutal fighting and spectacular gore. That said...

Best Feeling-Inducer: Your Actions Have Consequences also goes here for me. Everyone has a miserably unhappy time here and dies fairly messily, and some of these characters were particular favorites of mine.

Also, we gotta talk about Cecilia's accidental murder of Mattie. Mara and Gundham are emotional terrorists for this one I swear.

Best Drama: Isabella forming a giant swarm and menacing basically everyone. It's a bit of a shame that it ended the way it did, but boy was it dramatic when it first happened.

Best Surprise: The fake rolls before the escape made the actual escape quite a surprise, of course.

For something in game, It did not occur to me at all that Claudia's power could potentially incinerate someone, much less give Anatoly such a thematically-appropriate death.

Best Sandbox/Memories: They Did Not Forgive Us, one of the most painful threads in the whole version - and it's not in the actual game at all!

For more lighthearted fare, I really enjoyed missed connections; figuring out who each post was about via context and seeing David's thoughts on each of them was neat.

Gifts and Superpowers

Favorite Gift: This one's hard so I'm gonna turn it into another multi-part list!

Raymond's Blob Form ended up being used in some very creative and horrible ways. I do love me some massively fucked-up body horror.

Lily's Illusions were used in some really fun and creative ways. I love weird surreal shit and she was a fountain of it at times. It helps she's a fellow colorposter and makes me feel less self-concious about my rainbow vomit lol

August clearly had a great deal of thought put into the mechanics of his power and how it affects his life, which made him a delight to work with and to read. Plus having such a gentle dude be capable of such mass destruction proved a fun character beat.

Mattie's Gift led to some extremely strong and emotional scenes - especially his death, where his final post proved a real gut punch as a result.

Yvette's fun because her Gift led to her having a particularly unusual way of thinking about things and viewing the world. It also led to some deeply awful existential horror in her death, another thing I love to toy with (and did! at least within the limits of what I was bound to).

Best Superhero Gift: Alan's power ended up being both intergral to Ximena's escape and to saving Crispin from the above blobby boy, so I guess he wins that one.

Best Supervillain Gift: Jenelle's and August's powers absolutely could've led to some grim shit if they'd actually wanted them to - hell, some folks did die fairly horribly in both cases, if unintentionally. I suppose it's good neither really went for the mass destruction both were very capable of.

The Power Pity Award: Kyle's and Emily's powers have got to be indisputably some of the worst ones out there.

The Awesome Curse Award: Dunno what that Astrid girl's complaining about, her eyes are neat. If she disagrees she can cry about it to her Twitter followers while she stands in front of the world's last Blockbuster.

The "Gimme That!" Award: Look I'm not saying I would be even more annoying with illusion powers than Lily, but I'm also not not saying it.

If you could change ANYTHING that has happened thus far, what would you change? I would have taken the hero I was offered without question if I knew what was coming. Even if I didn't, I would've instead put my foot down and been much more stubborn about my death plans. I've turned the situation around pretty well, but I can't deny that how my shit rolled out hurt for a while.

Moving from my own stuff, I honestly wish maybe the last rollset had been a bit smaller and let just a few more people out. I dunno, the entire last rollset was kind of a bummer - but then, I suppose someone has to be last. Always sucks to be the last death in a war and all.

How much did you enjoy/not enjoy Supers V1? Very complicated question for me personally! I think, now that my Aftermath stuff is functionally done, I can move the needle back to "I enjoyed it" - with the caveat that there was a not-insignificant period where I could barely stomach talking about it. Hell, occasionally I still feel a little bruised about stuff! But mostly I think I can look back on it much more fondly now. Most frustrations I have are now more on other folk's behalf - we're getting to that.

What do you like the most about Supers V1? Several things and I can't only talk about one!

Superpowers, and all the crazy shit folks did with them! Everyone really went all out with this stuff, coming up with all sorts of cool powers and great narrative ideas off the back of them, which gives Supers its very distinct flair. There's all sorts of stuff that simply couldn't work anywhere else.

Metaplot stuff! I think overall it made the version announcements threads extra fun to read and gave a sense of a cohesive overarching narrative and an unfolding mystery. I do think this maybe led to some choices I disagree with (I'll get to that), but it reads very strongly and I can't complain too much about that. It certainly creates a degree of hype for a version years off that would be maybe a bit unusual otherwise, at any rate. The way folks excitedly talk about their Supers 2 plans is proof enough of that.

People's clear love for what they were doing! I loved the passion and investment people had in their kids - it made some wonderful reading. I do think, however, that that investment has led to some hurt feelings over...

What do you think could have been better about the AU? I'm going to preemptively say, Supers has been a ton of fun to participate in and follow. I think it's been a great version overall! I have somewhat longform and complicated thoughts on this next bit, and I wanted to make it clear that it's ultimately a bit of a gray mark on a version I think is otherwise really good, not me bashing on it or the hard work Volt, Jilly and Catche put into it. Hell, I even get that some of this stems from personal priorities of mine that it's totally fair to disagree with me on! With that out of the way...

I struggled with what exactly to put here in the first set of Oozers I did, but having given it some thought, I'd have to say it's the decision to handle Aftermath so stringently. I understand why things were set up the way they were, with the heavy restrictions on non-survivor involvement and the one month limit, but I disagree with some of these choices. The former especially so, as it really just leaves a bunch of people with no way to take part in a cool thing that's happening or close their stories satisfyingly without the good grace of a survivor who's willing to work with them. I understand that some restrictions were probably necessary, but I don't really see what the harm would've been in, say, letting folks roleplay the families of their kids or something, even for just a post or two, without needing a survivor to dedicate their very limited time to it. The latter issue, meanwhile, has left several of the survivors mostly stuck talking to themselves or just not getting to post much at all; it's hard to justify spending time with a character you don't really know if you have such a limited window to post, and some of our survivors had very limited interactions with the version as a whole, leaving them in the lurch in a way that's rather unfortunate. It also means that guest writing didn't happen much (I think I might be the only one?), which exacerbates the first issue.

I'm certain there was plenty of deliberation between staff on these choices, and that they weren't made impulsively. From my outsider perspective, it looks like this comes down to a different set of priorities than what I'd lean towards - I get the sense things are the way they are at least part in the hopes of suiting an overarching narrative. I can understand and respect that, but I think it maybe unintentionally sacrificed people's personal narratives a bit. The Denouement, which treats the dead characters in a somewhat offhanded manner, ties into that perception; it's a cool narrative beat, but in the wake of how Aftermath is being handled it perhaps struck a bit of a nerve with some folks, especially the fact a lot of deaths and characters don't even appear in the footage. One could say a lot of these things are true of most SOTF versions, but I think there is an undeniable difference between a version that plays out normally and one that has an escape, or a version with one survivor and one with about a dozen, and I think more consideration for people's wants and needs could've been given. As it stands, it's hard not to notice that non-survivor discussion of the version has dropped off, and that a few people have been a bit openly frustrated with how things panned out (hello, I was people!).

I'm mostly speaking for other people's benefit at this point, since I was lucky enough to get to write a proper conclusion to my kid's story in Aftermath, but that's pretty much entirely off the back of Austin being highly active and closely tied to several survivors; a lot of other characters weren't so lucky. Generally, I think the strict deadlines in the game were fine, and even healthy! I simply also think that making things similarly strict in Aftermath wasn't really the right call, or at least that there could've been a better balance.

tl;dr letting folks have more breathing room and broadening participation a little wouldn't have hurt

What do you think of the Supers metaplot? I'm of two minds about this, actually! I feel like Super's metaplot unintentionally contributed to some of the problems I talked about above, but it's also hard to deny that it's one of the coolest and most compelling things about the version at the same time. It reveals just enough info to create the feel of an expansive wider world, but mostly sticks to things that prove relevant to the situation and avoids unnecessary clutter. It's a tricky tightrope walk, but the balance is kept beautifully and introduced some compelling mysteries I'm excited to (eventually, a long time from now) get some answers to. I hope I can do some similar tricks with my own AU idea, and I'd love to see people try some more involved metaplot stuff for their versions in the future!

How do you feel about Supers V1 compared to other AUs and versions? Well, I suppose now that I've knitted my wounds and can look back on stuff, overall I liked it. I can also firmly admit I probably liked TV3 more, if only because it never gave me a panic attack, but that's more a me thing than anything else. I'm certainly interested in a Supers 2 somewhere down the line.

How do you think Supers V2 will differ from/compare to Supers V1? Hard to say much about a pure hypothetical. I guess I hope next time folks feel more comfortable with being more creative and crazy with their powers; we already had plenty of that but it never hurts to have more!

Talk About Yourself

What has been your favorite thing to write in Supers V1? Austin and Alan's memory threads together. Most of my favorite threads to write in involved Alan, last ingame one aside, and these are the ones that set it all up for us.

Oneiros took some doing to start, given how badly my motivation took a hit, but once I started it proved a ton of fun to write all the little dreams with folks!

The three Aftermath threads I participated in were also some of my favorites. Given how rough Austin's death left me feeling, getting to write something much more akin to the conclusion I initially wanted and getting to touch upon how the Greene family was handling things went a long way to help. Plus it proved an opportunity to do something interesting and weird, and I know all of them helped further stuff for the other involved characters.

What are you proudest of in Supers V1? Somehow not enraging people with my silly colorposting and threadhopping nonsense. In general the fact people seem to have broadly enjoyed my terrible gay mess has been encouraging.

What do you wish you could improve? In general, I should've been more stubborn about what I wanted and what I was looking for this version; I rubber-stamped a lot of people's ideas that, in hindsight, were mistakes. Things worked out for me in the end, but it would've been best to be more defensive of my own ideas and feelings.

What is your favorite Supers V1 memory? Watching a very silly memory idea NAFT wanted to do with me turn into the clusterfuckiest thread in the version.

What else would you like to share? Anything goes! I think it's clear I was (and am!) quite invested in Supers as a version, and that I maybe have some strong feelings on certain things as a result. I hope then some of my criticisms, while not necessarily needing to be listened to, are at least understood on where they're coming from. Despite those feelings, this was a great version and a great experience, and I hope future AUs are similarly engaging!

I also wanna thank folks for being patient with me in the wake of how Supers hit me, and for being willing to work with me on helping me put stuff into a place I can be happy with. I really can't express my appreciation and gratitude for it all enough!
[+] TV3
"Finish what you started."
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
"You wouldn’t say that if you knew me better."
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[+] New BRAU
"Just remember me. Okay?"
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

The Oozers!

The Basics

Handler Name: Carrion Queen/Ruggahissy

Your Trademark Character: I mean, I only got the one and it's the depressed time bitch.

Current Status of Trademark Character: Unconscious, but in a hospital. Experiencing a rip in the fabric of space and time. She'll be OK though.

Favorite Character: I can't pick one so I'll pick a couple. Cecilia, Lily, Anatoly, Emily, Raja, Ana, David, Alan, Mattie. This is subject to change on any given day probably.

Favorite Scene: Heck. I'll choose non-death ones since those get their own section later (and can't pick any I was in) so I'll say The Lotus Eaters, Inertia, Dark, Darker, Yet Darker, What A Shame Those Two Are You and Me, and Dead!.

Favorite Death: Mattie, Emily, Cyrus, and David

Favorite Quote: I'll go with August's musings on what the electricity he feels around every living being might be:

"He liked to think he could feel life. A spirit, maybe. Something that most people only saw evidence of in laughter, and tears, and pain, and joy, but something he could really feel. The character of life that made it more than what rose out of the dirt and returned to it."

And a bonus for Austin's description of emotional pain

"He'd run out of scared, out of sad; all he had was hurt. Like his skin had been peeled away and left every nerve screaming raw with agony. It was only when the owl woman's voice riled him from his stupor that he remembered how to feel anything else at all."

EDIT, FORGOT THIS BANGER FROM TOMA

"This kinda sucks for real for real."

Favorite Post: Tie between I'll Be Your Friend in the Daylight Again and this post from Mattie's death thread that made me CRY so I will SUE.

Favorite Location: I guess I have to say the recesses because I was there for so long.

Characters

Best Character Development: Ana for starting out as a shy, quiet girl who didn't know anyone very well and attempting to become more assertive until she was finally well and done with this shit -- just a shame about her company. Cecilia for learning to trust people here and there after a traumatic background that left her disillusioned with people and the country she's in.

Best Game Impact: Guess I gotta say Javi since that was a pretty big impact to the game. Giving it as a co-award to August who enabled the escape of Stephen's group and gave me the nudge to try something myself. Also the explosion was in a ton of threads and had an impact on a lot of characters as it happened.

Best Innovation: I will agree and say Lincoln and his orb gambit was pretty neat. I really didn't expect that as I was reading and it ended up being very cool.

And honest to god, I loved how Jacob's power was incorporated into posts -- very clever and neat.

Best Realism: Joel has to be my favorite tiny boy who is also secretly an alcoholic mother of a BUNCH of kids. David is a very normal guy who glows and has toxic masculinity. Stephen is a surprising constant voice of reason among all he strange people he meets and I appreciate. Andrew is a chill dude just trying to keep everyone in a state of peace. "Regular dudes doing their best" squad.

Best (Super) Heroic Character: August for his efforts to keep everyone alive and safe and his compassion.

Best (Super) Villainous Character: My FAVORITE villainous character, as in the villainous character I liked best, is probably Cyrus. He's so much fun. He really walked out here like "I'm a monster! (positive)." I love him.

Best Tragic Character: Emily is a whole tragedy of a person and has my sympathies. She has no control over the terrible things she does. Sydney is also especially tragic as someone who is in panic mode immediately and never stops being caught in an understandable fear state.

Best Humorous Character: Toma made me smile quite a bit. Anatoly as well, especially in his infamous journal.

Best Tactics: Awarding this to Stephen for his quick thinking, using the exploded part of the compound to his advantage, combined with an inspired use of his bone power.

The Sympathy Award: Kyle, a sweet bird boy who was really a bird man. He really is just such a likable person. Ana, who really just could not catch a single fucking break. Cecilia who just... [gestures at everything]

The Empathy Award: Alan, for reasons which will be elaborated in another section. Raja, because I, too, am like that about bugs.

The Gone-Too-Soon Award: So many of the characters hit in the last roll were a gut punch but maybe the one I was most crushed by was Emily, who had just managed to take her collar off with Stephen and Claudia. Would have liked to see Mercedes and Lincoln stay around for longer to see how they'd have dealt with his newly orbular nature, and also because I enjoy them.

The He-Had-It-Coming Award: Pass

Scenes and Deaths

Best Tragedy: Mattie's death hurt me, and Mara will be hearing from my lawyers. Sydney's death is tremendously sad, just radiating fear and regret.

The Stomach-Churner: I would like for three people specifically to come down and accept their awards in this category.
FIRST PLACE: Ana and Deamon. She had so many SICK descriptions. She swallows part of Isabella's storm in an attack and then has to vomit all the bugs back out. A bug crawls into an open wound and slides around under her skin (the wound is also horrifically described before the centipede comes along). The mercury parasite goes up Joel's veins until it reaches his heart and is able to hack away at it from the inside.

Emily, specifically in her transformation sequences that detail her bones breaking and body changing and also the aftermath of eating David. When she vomited up his necklace I was like "Yes, haha....yes!"

And Ray for the super blob transformation he undergoes in his last thread where he becomes a big arm head and tendrils, melting down his foes.

Best Impact: August's death that took several people with him, affected a lot of the characters in the area, and gave some the opportunity to get out.

Best Comedy: Maybe Anatoly meeting Claudia and Selene. He cracks me up just casually laying on the floor and complimenting the ladies in hopes of getting blood.

The Sunglasses-and-Explosions Award: Gotta be Your Actions Have Consequences . Big praise for this scene on a lot of fronts. I love the way that it spins out of control because of the personalities and all of their goals. I totally get why everyone is making the choices they are making, even if it leads down this path of total destruction. I'm a person who doesn't always have the easiest time following fight scenes, and this one was both thrilling, fluid, hyper violent, and easy for me to follow. The communication between the writers is evident in how well-organized it is. The carnage is intense and well-written. I also wasn't sure where else to put this but the post of Lincoln cracking is terrific -- I had no idea what damaging the orb would even be like. Violence amazing across the board from everyone.

Honorable mentions to Anatoly's death which was literally an explosion that melted him after he'd torn Claudia's stomach open (both very metal) and to the fight against Ray that led to his death in Burnt Light.

Best Feeling-Inducer: Here comes the elaboration I promised up in the empathy section. My answer for this one is page 1 of Burnt Light. In the first page of Burnt Light, Alan finds Crispin for the first time since their initial split in the beginning of the game, brought about by Alan's refusal to help Crispin's revenge plans due to his belief that it was suicidal and not desiring for his last friend to die (or to risk his own life). Crispin says a lot of terrible things to Alan (a continuation of terrible things he'd said previously about him being weak, a user, not really caring for him or Moose, someone who always held him back). He says everyone, Alan included despite all his efforts, is scum and if he's going to stay, he has to respect him because of his proven capacity for violence. Alan takes all this and still vows to stay by Crispin's side. My heart broke for him. This hit me especially hard because I saw a lot of myself in this scene and this decision.

Honorable mention that's cheating a bit but Raja's death (it's cheating because I was in it). I think this was really well done and had the horror of dying slowly with someone you really want to stay alive for.

Honorable mention to Ana's death and the parasite cuddling against her as she dies : (

Best Drama: Look But Don't Touch is filled to the brim with that good drama I like. It has the horrible, squishy emotions that fuel me, it's got a villainous breakdown, and sudden reversal of fortunes. It's a good time.

The scene of Anatoly increasingly becoming more and more menacing towards Selene in My Life is Going On is absolutely stellar.

On the non-death related side, I held my breath waiting to see if Stephen and Claudia would make it out of their collars in Gather in The Ashes .

Best Surprise: I was pretty surprised when Astrid decided to attack Ana in call the police . Also pretty surprised when Stephen's bone zone collar gambit worked.

Best Sandbox/Memories: Woweee. Mikey Fats aka Kermit t. frog really made something special with The Mute. It’s a super interesting experiment in using the format of the game in a different way, and I think it’s a success. Having these tons and tons of small snippets (which are usually very interesting, clever, or revealing) has the effect of creating a picture of Astrid in my mind, brick by brick, until I feel like I really know her and she’s a real person. I don't recall every single post, but they all work together to create a whole person I feel I know as well as any real person.

Missed Connections from David is outstandingly fun and creative.

They Did Not Forgive Us is such a work of empathy and research from Gundham that gives important background on Cecila's trauma, it's a job extremely well-done.

Nora's Living Dead is a cool exploration of Gifts as a disability and what that means for people who have to live with such gifts.

The entirety of the courtship and breakup of Alan and Austin. You hookers, you did a very good job at a realistic build up and then breakdown of a relationship that elevates their in-game materials. Get outta my face.

Gifts and Superpowers

Favorite Gift: Mattie's hindsight and Lily's illusions were used to really cool effect.

Best Superhero Gift: Hmmmm August's conduit?

Best Supervillain Gift: Emily's feral bat form is pretty terrifying as well as Ray's full blob form. Mercedes' scorching palms would be bad in the wrong hands.

The Power Pity Award: I mean, this has to be Emily. Kyle as well for bird head but no other bird stuff like flying.

The Awesome Curse Award: Goth eyes do seem pretty cool.

The "Gimme That!" Award: I have a strong desire for Ana's parasite.

If you could change ANYTHING that has happened thus far, what would you change?
I don't have a lot of stuff I'd personally do differently. I do wish some of my favs had made it to the escape.

How much did you enjoy/not enjoy Supers V1?
A lot. I had a lot of fun with this.

What do you like the most about Supers V1?
I like how much creativity this set up allows for. I liked working with a bunch of people I'd never worked with before. I also liked that this gave me an outlet for my feelings during an extremely difficult time in my life.

What do you think could have been better about the AU?
I think it was run incredibly smoothly so no complaints there. I think I also wish that the two escape efforts after Javi had a bit more payoff to them in a plot sense, but I'm also really happy with what we were able to do with the characters.

What do you think of the Supers metaplot?
It was fun. Fan of the animal gang and their personalities and powers. RIP vigilante

How do you feel about Supers V1 compared to other AUs and versions?
Favorite AU/mini I've participated in.

How do you think Supers V2 will differ from/compare to Supers V1?
Gosh, I don't know. That's too far out to think about. My brain's too tired.

Talk About Yourself

What has been your favorite thing to write in Supers V1?
This is a long list. Loved the little (gay gay homosexual gay) scene with Emily. Raja's death was terrific to work on and I think the final product is so lovely. The partnership with Alan. I mean, he looks and seems more like someone who would steal your wallet rather than your heart, but here we are. And I had a lot of fun writing in both Your Uber Has Arrived and Out Run.

What are you proudest of in Supers V1?
I don't even know. Maybe when I described the setting sun as "daylight's falling star" because I think it's pretty. I'm also a big fan of Kermit's robot preacher he made for our car thread and how I used its strangely apt sermon to create a post that can be read a lot of ways.

What do you wish you could improve?
I dunno. Being less cringe maybe.

What is your favorite Supers V1 memory?
Just reading Supers and talking about it with folks.

This thing is so long, too long. Yeah, I just am/was in a really bad place for a lot of Supers and it helped me have something to channel my feelings and thoughts into and served as a nice distraction. Thanks to everyone who participated.
[+] May you find that which shines and learn the power of miracles.

The only thing I've ever been proud of was describing the setting sun as "daylight's falling star" in a recent Supers post.

Supers
Ximena Rodriguez: "Everything is just a matter of time."
International
Soraya Martinez: "Need a translator? I'm pretty good."
MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MurderWeasel »

The Oozers!

The Basics

Handler Name: MW

Your Trademark Character: The first day of the week...

Current Status of Trademark Character: Stepped on by goth boots!

Favorite Character: The wearer of the goth boots. Really Supers has a lot of exceptional characters (shout-out also to Melodie, Crispin, Cecilia, Austin, and more but I'm cutting it arbitrarily here), but Kermit almost always manages to imbue his characters with a sort of core observational humanity that I vibe with very hard. Astrid is a character who has a lot of quiet sadness and also tenacity about her, and I appreciate that her narrative trusts us to find that and also rewards us for digging deep and keeping track of things.

Favorite Scene: This thread just has so much fun, characterization, and joy (to read, not that the characters are experiencing) about it for what could otherwise be just a kind of normal wake-up post. I was invested from the word go, and the three principle players should feel very good about their work.

Favorite Death: I'm going to go with Cyrus' death for this one, because it plays very specifically to one of my favorite things: characters who think they are far worse people than they actually are. Cyrus takes this basic concept and makes it especially fun by being a legitimately pretty bad person to begin with, but all the same he's not quite as broken as he thinks, and in a strange way that breaks him. The whole scene is a fascinating one from Jacob's side, and from Cyrus' it's this moment of genuine complexity for a character who on the surface seems to be simply straightforward terrible.

Favorite Quote: "Fuck off."

Favorite Post: I've picked a bunch of deaths for other stuff, so I will select this one where somebody comes back to life. Salic did a great job with Claudia, and while I'd never want to impede somebody's artistic process, at the same time I am really, really happy that she made it—she's a great character, quite sympathetic, and just deserved it after all she went through and how much she suffered trying to be a friend.

Favorite Location: The Supers arena is very well-built/consistent, which makes it a bit hard to pick out individual areas (in a good way—it all feels like one big area) but I'll go with The Recesses, mostly because they provide a bunch of unconventional obstacles and pieces of environmental storytelling.

Characters

Best Character Development: What character development has kept you intrigued? This one goes to Cecilia, with a big ol' assist to Mattie. Cecilia is fascinating in that she starts the game with her trust betrayed and with little to tie her to her class. She's cagy and willing to do what she has to in order to survive, but bit by bit she opens up and finds a connection to one other person, and from that changes her worldview in small ways, not big ones. It's a partnership I was invested in, one that ends tragically but satisfyingly, and her final parting with Mattie has a lot of emotional power that has by this point been thoroughly earned. I think the early termination of the game especially did her favors, as it allows this unconventional path of growth to end in something other than total tragedy, which is rare and cool to see.

Best Game Impact: Which character do you feel has brought the most positive development to the game as a whole, outside their specific storyline? Gary threw the first rock in the event which ultimately did a lot to define how about half the cast related to each other (and did a very good job being understated about that in his narrative, too).

In-game, Austin was all over the place, and despite only physically interacting with a handful of people, he managed to kick off a seriously huge number of plots... albeit usually not in the way he intended to.

Best Innovation: Which character has been a breath of fresh air for you? I'm a sucker for going way in-depth on every little wrinkle and detail of some incredibly specific power, so I'm going to give this one to August (with honorable mention to Lincoln, but he'll be coming up below so I just put what I dig about him there instead). August is fascinating because his power is something that fundamentally alters how he interfaces with a bunch of really common, everyday things, and Shiola did a great job of conveying this while also making it feel normal and natural to August's narrative—he dodges the trap of feeling like a character whose self-image is shaped by the reader's. August has senses normal people don't, massive destructive potential few understand, and yet at his core he's mostly just interested in trying ot have a quiet, peaceful life. There's one specific bit where it's just quietly mentioned that August sees fractals and it's that sort of small touch that really puts him over the edge, even in a version where most people brought their A-games on creativity.

Best Realism: Which character is really grounded in reality in a way you find appealing? This time I'm going with Sayuna, largely for some very impressive work on Cicada's end rendering an authentic transcription of streamer monologues in a way that manages to convey what's happening while also providing a lot of characterization and avoiding coming across as hokey or forced. Sayuna also has this very real air of inconsistency to her, where she's not always sure of herself or her decisions and has moments of getting frustrated, or making snap bad decisions, which helps her feel like a real person.

Best (Super) Heroic Character: Which good guy has you solidly on their side? Gotta be Stephen. Stephen is a good guy in the sort of way that often gets buried in games with more conclusive endings, but he has a lot of the best heroic traits in spades. He cares about others, he's patient and forgiving, and he honestly thinks through the repercussions and ramifications of his actions. He also has an amazing underdog story with some really nice little feel-good beats, and is one of the few characters to have an actually terrible power that turns around and pulls some major weight at the most vital moment. Would he have gotten out even without it? Sure, but that doesn't matter one bit narartively: Stephen beat the game on his own terms, and then he walked right back in to save a friend, and if that's not heroism I don't know what is.

Best (Super) Villainous Character: Who is your favorite ne'er-do-well? For pure, unapologetic villainy, I have to go with Ray. Ray does a really nice job of starting out a sympathetic figure who's been screwed over by circumstance and luck and then sort of devolving from there into a monster... and I don't mean physically. The bitter and jealous aspects of his psychology are there from early on, but the pressures of the game and his own original inadvertent misdeed finally lead him to embrace what he's become, and when the turn is complete he goes full Resident Evil, shedding whatever restraint remained to functionally become the final boss battle of Supers... and I don't think we could ask for a better one.

Best Tragic Character: Whose sad and inevitable fate have you most enjoyed lamenting? There are a lot of characters in Supers who experience tragedy in the context of specific scenes, but I have to shout out a character for embodying tragedy on a full character level: and Kyle. Kyle is one of many characters who have a gift that kinda sucks, but it's extra terrible for him because it's this constant reminder of what he dreams about, yearns for, and cannot have. This is extra cruel because Kyle is a legitimately good guy, who often finds himself caught in the crossfire of other people's choices and wrongdoings. And yet, for all that, Kyle time and again goes to bat for his friends, and at the end that loyalty and unwillingness to accept a situation as good enough or turn his back is what seals his fate.

Best Humorous Character: Which character made you laugh the most? (And we don't mean "unintentionally". Be nice!) Moose is very funny and RC is a master of humor, so I am stating that for the record, but in an effort to diversify my picks on this question I also really have to shout out Anatoly, who's written with such life and charm and personality that I think it's almost impossible not to fall in love with him. Aside from an excellent Memory thread which is so iconic it supplied the name for these awards, Anatoly's given real attention when it comes to his little movements and thoughts, be it feigning a more casual interest in blood than he feels or popping off the ground like a Jack-in-the-box. But the really special thing about Anatoly is that he's also a very real, dark, introspective, and at times frightening character, and Poly uses the humor to very cannily create a picture of Anatoly that can then contrast with his more extreme or downbeat moments—it's comedy as a tool for tragedy.

Best Tactics: Through elimination of the competition or a solid plan for survival, who kept you interested in their struggle to make it back home? Who actually had a plan to survive this game? I'll tell you: Alan, that's who. And guess what? He did! Alan played the game as close to perfectly as he could, finding people he could work with (and step behind when everything hit the fan), avoiding cultivating grudges, making use of his power as enticement and power-up, and always keeping an ear to the ground in case a better deal came along. One of the great things is that a lot of what Alan did can be read in a pretty negative light (and, you know, may even deserve to be) but because of his restraint and intelligence he comes out of it pretty clean instead, in-universe and even to the readers to some extent. He manages the most sneaky tactical play of all: doing it in a way where he can still look himself in the face in the mirror.

The Sympathy Award: Which character did you feel the most for, and most want good things for? This one was Nora for me. Yes, Nora's kill count of "None" is, let us say, technical at best. She made some bad decisions and other people suffered for it, but I couldn't help really liking and rooting for her. She acted from a place of fear and frustration, and her life circumstances left her alone and isolated long before the game, and through it Kami portrayed her in a way that just made me feel for her a lot and want her to finally catch a break and find something better. And she did. :)

The Empathy Award: Which character could you most easily put yourself in the shoes of? Not really in any specific situation or relating to teh actions she took or whatever, but Melodie's mindset is very familiar to me and just the way she works and ticks makes a lot of sense to me on an intuitive level. She's someone who's kind of constantly questioning everything but that includes herself, and I think is often more lost than she really wants to let on.

That's PCs only, of course. If we stretch to side characters I relate a whole lot to Craig.

The Gone-Too-Soon Award: Which deceased character should have stuck around a little longer? I'm specifically excluding anyone who kicked it during the last roll set because those make it too hard—several of my favs I would've loved to see make it out (Anatoly, Joel, Emily) got bopped right before and that's still very sad. But looking back a little further, I'm really bummed that Kennedy didn't get to stick around a little longer, because Brackie did some really cool stuff both with her voice and with her game plan, and she occupied this interesting sort of soft-antagonistic niche that nobody else stepped in to fill. She did a lot of cool stuff while she was there, but could've done even more too!

The He-Had-It-Coming Award: Who best earned their (possibly still forthcoming) demise? Possibly unconventional one: Kaine wasn't an irredeemably terrible person, but he was one who doubled down on his mistakes and frequently knee-jerk reacted to problems in profoundly non-constructive ways. From popping into a situation that wasn't really about him to throw a hit to refusing to walk away when outclassed Kaine set a path that was bound to end in blood, and indeed it did. Guess it's true, you never can trust invisible people...

Scenes and Deaths

Best Tragedy: Which scene or death made you the most teary eyed? Original I split the tragic character question, but I decided to move one of them here: Emily. Emily plays a very solid narrative as she struggles against her gift, doomed from the start by a single mistake but forced to suffer the fallout in slow motion. Skraal does an amazing job dangling hope and despair in alternating bursts, and I was really, really pulling for Emily to make it through but if she had to go out, the way she did is the perfect tragic capstone. That said, a number of Emily's scenes could fit here, from her memory one-shot to her realization of what she's done. Even the quiet moments of normalcy are tragic for Emily, because of how frequently she's denied them.

The Stomach-Churner: Which scene or death has most effectively played with the gory/violent/overall disturbing side of the game? Sydney's death is especially horrible, coming as it does both very early in the game and to a character who has done nothing to deserve it. While it's bad enough on a brutal physical level, the emotional beats make it so much worse, as too late Sydney realizes she's made a horrible mistake and dies wishing and trying to somehow undo it.

Best Impact: Which scene or death do you think best played a positive role in changing the course of the game? There's so much fun stuff that plays into the ultimate release of the final handful of students that I'm going to cop out and give this to The Fourth Announcement because, hey, it sure shook stuff up and changed the course of the game!

Best Comedy: Which scene or death served as the best comic relief? Okay, I give up, a greased-up Moose dropping his pants to slalom wildly through the halls trying and failing to catch and invisible person is absolutely hilarious and the whole scene is played in such a madcap way that I can't help but crack up. Also this is one of the funniest meta-jokes the site has ever seen.

The Sunglasses-and-Explosions Award: Which scene or death had the best action going on? I'm giving this one to Kaine vs. Crispin for being an action scene very different to Toxie's usual fare. As a fight, it's not as long or drawn-out as the post count might make you think—Crispin has the upper hand, and the second he finds the opening the fight ends. It's a distinct vibe that trades more in tension and surroundings, and that's really cool.

Best Feeling-Inducer: Which scene or death provoked the best emotional reaction from you? Mattie's death hits especially hard because of the sheer amount of care and build-up put into it. He has a very unique situation in that his story has heavily revolved around one other character, and unlike so many accidental kills, this one is entirely believable and especially tragic in its ramifications. It also sets up an incredible coda that I've mentioned above I think. Really powerful stuff all around.

Best Drama: Which scene or death had you on the edge of your seat in the way of conflict, suspense, and drama? One of the strengths of Supers is that it can occasionally turn into a different genre, and David's death does a great job of showing this off. The scene is a pure horror movie chase, and on that level it's really effective, but it also manages to quietly be something more between the lines, the disappointing culmination of a one-sided relationship that exists primarily in negative space. Dramatic in every way, especially the cool ones, and great work from all involved.

Best Surprise: Which scene or death caught you most off guard in a pleasant way, either through its unpredictable nature or its unique execution? Lincoln sheds his earthly form and embraces the sphere life. Lincoln is another character who goes super hard on his gift in ways that I appreciate greatly, and Jack did an amazing job setting up his totally unique perspective on the world (viewed at all times through an unblinking 360 degree eye) and then shaking that up when the fleshy part is dropped. I had no idea this was coming, and once it hit I had no idea where it was going, and the wild ride was a blast the whole time. Big kudos for a genuinely iconic moment possible only in Supers, and also to Supers staff for playing ball on this one.

Best Sandbox/Memories: Which out of game scene was your favorite? Too many good ones but if I limit it to just one I'm gonna shout out The Mute for being such an intriguing and successful use of its form that it almost immediately inspired a new generation of threads in a similar vein. And yet, it stands tallest of all, at nineteen pages and six months in the making.

Gifts and Superpowers

Favorite Gift: Which power did you find most entertaining or intriguing? This one definitely goes to Isabella, who takes a not-too-out-there power and then runs fully into bonkersville with it. Isabella's gift as it's portrayed is simultaneously a coping mechanism coming from a relatable place of grief and also a strange, eldritch sort of inhuman monstrosity that may or may not have anyone home behind the scenes. It's really excellent creativity, and she shook the game with it.

Best Superhero Gift: Which power did you think was best used (or could have been best used) for good? Lily gets one of the most inventive would-be heroic uses of her gift in her final fight, and generally is one of the few characters rolling around on a power level where she can actually have a major impact. I also couldn't quite find a spot to put this elsewhere, but I wanted to shout out the very intriguing stuff done with her narratively, as her power took hold of some scenes and created an illusory landscape for others to traverse; in a way, she set the scene for little mini comic books for the ones who came near her, and I liked that a lot.

Best Supervillain Gift: Which power did you think would have been the most terrifying (or was) were it in the wrong hands? So this isn't anything that happens in the text at all, but I really love Lucine's gift and while she uses it for good in-game, I can see so many fascinating ways to spin it for evil. She could easily be the brains behind a criminal syndicate, or a really potent spy!

The Power Pity Award: Which power most made you feel bad for the one "blessed" with it? There's a lot of sucky stuff out there, but to pick one that isn't a pure disability, Noah has something that is really honed to mess him up personally, because it demands constant vigilance to keep from being a major threat to others. For something empathetic like he is, that means he has to constantly worry about accidents and live with the guilt of his past mistake.

The Awesome Curse Award: Which power that the user viewed as a "curse" did you most think was actually great? So okay, there are downsides for sure, but just think how much Kincaid must pull in stream donations?

The "Gimme That!" Award: Which power would you want for yourself? Joel's power is great (okay, aside from that one time...), and I think the way it allows him to give people a little boost would be very useful. You could get a good street hustle going with that and a deck of cards! Really, what I think is best about this is that it's a support power that is mostly optional, but can come in clutch while being more or less undetectable. It doesn't ruin (or totally define) his life, and at the same time it can be incredibly potent.

If you could change ANYTHING that has happened thus far, what would you change? Some of the deaths in the final stretch right before the save were brutal, and heck, since we're changing ANYTHING there are really quite a lot of members of the cast I would've liked to see get happy endings. Most of them, actually.

How much did you enjoy/not enjoy Supers V1? I had a whole bunch of fun with it, both as participant and as reader!

What do you like the most about Supers V1? I appreciated how most of the participants went hard on powers-as-metaphor (if not explicitly, then implicitly) and used their characters' abilities to make them more human rather than less (or at least to accentuate the core elements of their humanity). In the most out-there game, a lot of the stories told were some of the most down to earth, and that was really fun to see.

What do you think could have been better about the AU? I appreciate the experimentation with hard deadlines, but I think the messaging got confused at a few points and that led to some avoidable frustration. When something is harsher than the norm, I think it's really important to beat people over the head with it so that it's a little more real to them, and I also think that tying extensions to activity warnings was a misstep—the activity system is a necessary aspect of keeping the game moving, not a punishment, and in this case the cause (went 15 days without a post at some point earlier in the version) and effect (no extension on death) don't really line up clearly. I guess what I'm saying is, to me it'd make more sense to set the deadline to three weeks, give everyone the week regardless of warnings (or 28 days and no extensions for anyone, either/or), and then slam home in the thread every single day to-the-minute when the deadline is so there's no room to be surprised.

What do you think of the Supers metaplot? The Supers metaplot is IMO pretty cleanly and unambiguously the best of any version. Supers takes very strong advantage of its spot as an AU in the first IC iteration of the game to create a situation where the status quo does not have to stay unchanged, and this creates a much more reactive game experience. It also very cannily employs conservation of detail, introducing only characters who actually matter and have potential to influence the game and then giving us enough to understand them and care about them without drowning us with superfluous stuff. Not all of these lessons can be carried to every version, but I still think everyone would do well to look to it for inspiration in making metaplots that are there for something more than to just keep the wheels spinning.

How do you feel about Supers V1 compared to other AUs and versions? I think one of the most interesting differences in Supers is how clearly invested the players were in their characters, which I think speaks really well both to the base concept and the way players engaged with the powers-as-fundamental-reflections-of-humanity thing. This was mostly good! Where it was slightly less optimal was in that I think almost nobody was really ready to be rolled out—I'm pretty sure Supers has one of the lowest Hero play rates of all time (~7%, if you're curious!), and no adoptions at all. A universe people want to play in is something to be proud of, but it's always sad to see folks exit before they're ready.

How do you think Supers V2 will differ from/compare to Supers V1? I think we'll likely see some powers that are a little less horribly debilitating become the norm, for one. I also think we'll see handlers engage even more with the world around their characters, because some of the most vital stuff in Supers V1 played with that to great effect.

Talk About Yourself

What has been your favorite thing to write in Supers V1? It's a secret. Kermit knows.

What are you proudest of in Supers V1? I did a few very specific things involving word choice that I won't go into detail with here (not a secret, just been banging away at this for ages, ask me later or whatever) and that nobody specifically called them out means they worked perfectly.

What do you wish you could improve? So basically I built myself an ending with the power I gave my character, but in doing so I also made a bet that I wouldn't be rolled first rolls. My intent was to play something long, slow, and kinda melodramatic and I had to reconfigure that in a hurry—had I known the odds would get me I'd've contrived a serious injury in Post 1 and gone from there.

What is your favorite Supers V1 memory? A whole bunch of stuff surrounding the rockfight, and Memories before the game proper opened in general. It was a pretty magical time and I think folks coming to it later can't quite get how it felt.

Where did the other category go in the awards? I put it here instead. >:(

Sound Effect Of Doom: Jenelle's pop is an extremely fun little onomatopoeia that slowly gains power as a sign that stuff's about to become miserable for everybody around.

Goodest Boy Award For Best Pet: Ana Ford's parasite is given a ton of personality through its little actions and descriptions, in a way that makes it very sympathetic and surprisingly cute for a blob of highly dangerous liquid metal. (Lincoln's orb doesn't count because it's a person, and Isabella's bugs are friends, not pets.)

Against Your Own Best Interests Award For Dying Due To A Good Deed: Selene Flores, who knew better than to let Anatoly start drinking her without a backup plan but did it anyways. Selene was a key part of the initial dream trio, and her death was sort of a point at which it became clear that things weren't gonna go well at all.

Well-Done Award For Excellence In Grilling: No-Mercy Mercy really did not need to go quite so hard char-broiling friend and foe alike, but she did it anyways! With a sizzle and a pop, Mercy served up some of the lest appetizing descriptions of the version, and really hammered home what "too hot to handle" can mean.

Hit The Bricks: I mean, really, why not just leave? Go! Walk out, Javi! It's not like anyone's doing anything important here or whatever.

Boyfriend Of The Year: Toma was a very good partner indeed from what we saw, and just sort of a lovable goofy (who, okay, could maybe rip your face off). He came to a tragic end due to his loyalty, and there area bunch of places I almost fit him in but didn't quite squeeze him so instead I'm sending him out with the last specific shout-out.

I Need To Catch Up Award: All of Aftermath, whoops! It's been a long few months. ;-;

Finally, as always this is semi-off-the-cuff and I might have different answers if asked tomorrow; there are loads of great scenes and characters I missed.
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

I have updated my Oozers with additional characters, scenes and thoughts! May fiddle with it again or may not lol
[+] TV3
"Finish what you started."
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
"You wouldn’t say that if you knew me better."
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[+] New BRAU
"Just remember me. Okay?"
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DerArknight
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by DerArknight »

The Oozers!

The Basics

Handler Name: MostlyHarmfulll

Your Trademark Character: Gary Greer-Wheatly

Current Status of Trademark Character: Ded

Favorite Character: Cecilia Moreno

Favorite Scene: The Clown Car

Favorite Death: Everyone in the 2-on-2-massacre

Favorite Quote: "Dude, you won't believe what happened to me. So I woke up in this room and some girl, ink girl, I don't know her name, I had class with her once - she decided to steal stuff from my bag and when she saw me waking up, she hit me with this chair. So she fucked off with my stuff, but y'know I just outran her and grabbed her. But then she turned around and blinded me with this ink like she was spiderman or something. I couldn't see shit, so she decided to come back here to steal more of my stuff! But then I followed her noise, grabbed this chair and BAM BAM! I beat! the shit! out of her! You know, just like she was the vending machine in 8th grade. I dunno, she must've had a knife or something with her cause she cut my finger off, which y'know hurt, and then bolted. So anyway, I'm missing a finger, it's lying around somewhere in this room. Could you help me search the floor? My eyesight's pretty bad right now."

Favorite Post: This oneshot is interesting for two reasons: 1. It showcases a very unique use of Mattie's gift. 2. Since Cecilia never finds out it happened, this is an interesting case of the dynamic between two characters changing with one of the two not knowing about it.

Favorite Location: The compound stood out to me for giving many opportunities for interesting scenes.

Characters

Best Character Development: Alan Melnyk went from being Crispy's slightly more rational sidekick to noping out of the revenge stuff to joining an escape team that actually managed to get stuff done to reuniting with Crispy for the final battle to becoming a media-sellout. That's a lot of phases and each one felt like a logical step after the next.

Best Game Impact: Sayuna Lewis may not have done something great like blowing up a building, getting an escape car or calling for help, but her death was a big shock for everyone who knew her and pushed my favorite villain down into the depths of despair.

Best Innovation: Yvette Monday's gift turned out to make her a especially weird character, in a good way.

Best Realism: This is a tricky one since the whole AU being centered around superpowers means that all characters have an air of unrealism by default. I will give it to August Hanlon for how his gift was integrated in his character in a natural-seeming way.

Best (Super) Heroic Character: Noah Davis never gave up, no matter how dire the situation.

Best (Super) Villainous Character: Raymond LaSalle, who not only provided some very disturbing imaginary throughout the entire game but also served as an excellent final boss of some sorts.

Best Tragic Character: It seemed like the universe itself had it out for Kennedy Jackson. Even her death that was handled by staff feels like a natural conclusion of her being struck with yet another case of bad luck just as things seemed to go upwards.

Best Humorous Character: This one goes to Moose Humphreys. RC has a nice track record of comedic characters, and Moose is no exception.

Best Tactics: Javier 'Javi' Gómez had what one would call the simplest escape plan ever, AND IT FREAKING WORKED!

The Sympathy Award: Behind all the delinquency and violence, Crispin-Kelley Cuyler is just a poor kid with some terrible habits like doubling down on his mistakes and tending towards self-destructive behaviour to distract from his softer sides. Which makes the short moments when he lets his guard down all the more sweet.

The Empathy Award: Many of Melodie Bernard's quirks remind me of my teenage self.

The Gone-Too-Soon Award: Rest in peace, Cyrus Vähi, the would-be Manipulative Bastard of the whole game.

Honorable mention goes to Sydney Stone, who only doesn't make the cut because her demise was caused by her handler playing one of the few Hero Cards this game saw.

The He-Had-It-Coming Award: This one goes to Jessica Johnson, the evil mastermind herself.

Scenes and Deaths

Best Tragedy: Stephen Sanders having to put down Mei-ling 'Emily' Chou in Icarus.

The Stomach-Churner: All deaths involving Ray, especially his own.

Best Impact: August blowing up in Catastrophe. While it is unknown how useful it was for the escape (Javi was already gone at that point and would have found the Vigilante anyway), it was still an event that shook the entire arena, with countless people wittnessing it.

Best Comedy: Moose Omelette. The best detail is that the thread title is a continuation of his first thread, hinting that this scene was planned right from the moment the version began.

The Sunglasses-and-Explosions Award: Which scene or death had the best action going on?

Best Feeling-Inducer: Rajender 'Raja' Narang dying despite Ximena Rodriguez desperately attempting to save him in And So It Goes.

Best Drama: A Protest Against Despair involves not only Ximena's successful attempt at removing her collar but also a conversation with Austin that none of the three know is going to be a goodbye since Austin is being killed in another thread at the same moment.

Best Surprise: Moose Eggs has so much going on I could have given it almost any scene-related award.

Best Sandbox/Memories: The Apocalyptic Rockfight was one of those events that one needs to have wittnessed when it happened to understand how awesome it was. Sure, if you look back, it was just a chaotic thread of characters throwing rocks at each other for way too many posts, but if you were there, you will remember how wild chat went about this epic event. I think this thread brought us all closer as a community.

Gifts and Superpowers

Favorite Gift: Which power did you find most entertaining or intriguing?

Best Superhero Gift: I believe that if Isabella Lugosi had kept her humanity andcooperated with everyone to find a way out, she might have been a true game-changer.

Best Supervillain Gift: August boasted several times about how he could easily kill anyone if he actually tried. I believe him.

The Power Pity Award: Having the head of an eagle never brought anything for Kyle Benson except a dream that was impossible to fulfill.

The Awesome Curse Award: Jenelle Greene might have had a better time with her gift if she had accepted it as a part of herself.

The "Gimme That!" Award: Instead of chosing a kid, I will nominate the Vigilante. With the gift of seeing five seconds into the future, I would be unbeatable in countless video games!

If you could change ANYTHING that has happened thus far, what would you change? Vigilante should have survived somehow. I hope that V2 will introduce his twin brother.

How much did you enjoy/not enjoy Supers V1? I enjoyed it a lot! It had memorable villains, a unique setting and well-written fluff.

What do you like the most about Supers V1? How the gifts allow for characters and scenes that would be plain impossible in any other version due to the realism standards SOTF has.

What do you think could have been better about the AU? I will say that I think the one-month-rollsets were an interesting experiment that ended up doing more bad than good for the pacing of deaths. However, I give kudos to Voltie for trying something risky like that out in her very first AU. Albeit I would prefer it if Supers V2 went back to the usual two weeks per rolls.

The Most Kills Award on the other hand was a cool addition that got bogged down by the monthly rolls making it harder to get multiple kills per announcement. They felt especially fitting for the AU since the students had no weapons aside from their gifts, making the knife and the gun pretty prominent. Wouldn't mind seeing the MKAs return in V2.

What do you think of the Supers metaplot? I am intrigued, although I have to say that many aspects of it seemed more to gear towards building up for future versions. Especially not!Musk served no real purpose in V1 aside from revealing that the Deerstalkers got their cams from the black market.

However, my take is that this might even be on purpose: superhero media is famous for constantly getting sequels, reboots and Cinematic Universes. So the metaplot leaving stuff open might be a conscious emulation of how superhero-stories mostly work.

One negative thing I would like to mention is the plotline opening in the Denouement that revealed that the US authorities seem to know about why the Emergence happened. While I am not against revealing this in general, I don't see how "a event that gave everyone superpowers in the 70s" relates to "classes of teenagers who were born decades after said event are forced to kill each other". Even if there is some sort of conspiracy about hiding the truth behind the Emergence, it seems rather disconnected from the actual game and the students.

How do you feel about Supers V1 compared to other AUs and versions? With a cast of terrorists that have already shown a lot of personality, a unique verse allowing for characters not possible in most other games and already around a dozen survivors who could influence or at least be referenced in future versions, Supers seems on a good road to establish itself as a mainstay, if you ask me. Of course that depends on how long staff decides to keep the AU running.

How do you think Supers V2 will differ from/compare to Supers V1? I think it will build upon the foundation and breadcrumbs laid out by V1. Where the journey goes? I look forward to find out.

Apart from that, my secret hope is that after V1 being the version where most handlers wrote gifts that were basically disabilities and body horror, V2 will be the version where we all write overpowered fighters and have ridiculous anime-fights in every thread. Would be hilarious.

Talk About Yourself

What has been your favorite thing to write in Supers V1? We All Deserved Better

What are you proudest of in Supers V1? Managing to finish Gary's memory-thread just in time.

What do you wish you could improve? When it comes to my own writing, Supers turned out to be mostly a learning experience. It was my first try at writing a character working towards escaping. There are some mistakes I made that I will definitely avoid in the future, like not being sure if I want to do an actual escape involving staff or a doomed IC-attempt.

The biggest lesson I learned was that when your character has a goal, you need to work towards said goal instead of just fooling around. To explicate: At the start of the game, I quickly decided to have Gary stalk Isabella for several threads. Later on, I entered Paint It Black, where Gary conversed with Lily's illusions for about one month.

Both the stalking and the Lily-thread were a lot of fun to write in. BUT none of them yielded any results for Gary's escape plans. I believe that if I had more focussed on escaping than on spending weeks in threads that are fun but accomplish little, Gary might have escaped or at least gotten involved with one of the many escape attempts. But would that have been as fun? Who knows.

Then again, everything seems easy in hindsight. So my real only regret with Gary is that he barely talked with others, something I intend to make up for in Second Chances V3 or V4.

What is your favorite Supers V1 memory? Realizing that I had a completely wrong picture about a character when talking with said character's handler in a private chat.

What else would you like to share? Anything goes! I look forward to Supers V2!
[+] Those who struggle
Cyber
Zeph Newman

U
Elizabeth Rodney (adopted from Salic) Currently on a new low in tomorrow will only get worse

SC3
Chris Tyrell
Ethan Kemp
Fabiano Vecoli
[+] Those who rest
TV3
Sofia Kowalski (adopted from SansaSaver) [30/81] - Just where... did it all went so wrong?
Chris Tyrell (adopted from Irina Ivanov) [6/81] - That was the magic of SOTF-TV.

INTL
Fabiano Vecoli [17/29] - Weird. Why hadn't he noticed this sooner?

Supers
Gary Greer-Wheatly [26/43] - I am doing bad. You?

NBRAU
Keita Iijima [37/42] - Do you think... they are really gone?
Noriko Nakagawa [13/42] - It was nothing she looked forward to.

U
Arthur "Art" Miles [13/29] - Hold on. You actually believe this whole bullshit about Survival of the Fittest?
[+] Those whose time shall come
TV Intermissions
Leland Pierpoint
Stuart "Stu" Tyler
Lucina "Lucy" Pierpoint

TV4
Claudia Harper
Shanoa Priest

SC4
Kathleen Martin
???

INTL V2