SOTF Supers: Denouement - SEE YOU NEXT TIME!

Important information about the game and its universe may be found here.

Moderator: SOTF Supers Staff

VoltTurtle

SOTF Supers: Denouement - SEE YOU NEXT TIME!

Post by VoltTurtle »

Unknown Time, Tuesday, October 26th, 2021: The Great Basin Desert

An RV and semi-trailer truck crashed through the rope fence lining the perimeter of the arena.

OWL: "DID THE MOTHERFUCKER THINK HE WAS BATMAN?!"
SHARK: "Not so fucking loud! Some of us are nursing concussions here!"
CROCODILE: "...they took my car..."
OWL: "I DON'T FUCKING CARE! WE NEED TO GRAB SHIT AND GUN IT. KILL ANY OF THEM WE SEE."

BEAR: "Guys... is Derek okay?"
SHARK: "He's still breathing, if that's what you're asking. But, uh, he's been out this whole time. If you're unconscious that long, it usually means you're in a coma."
CROCODILE: "...they took my car..."
BEAR: "Should we take him to the fixer?"
SHARK: "And give him turbo brain cancer five years from now?"
BEAR: "It's better than dying right now!"
OWL: "SHUT THE FUCK UP. WE'LL GO AFTER WE GET DONE HERE."

SHARK: "...She saved your goddamn life, and now you're sitting here screaming at her?"
OWL: "WE WOULDN'T BE IN THIS FUCKING MESS IF ANY OF YOU COULD DO YOUR FUCKING JOBS."
BEAR: "..."
SHARK: "..."
CROCODILE: "...they took my fuckin' car..."

A walkie-talkie flared to life.

WOLF: "We're close to the building. Let's go."
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

6:41 PM, Tuesday, October 26th, 2021: The Compound

The Bloodhound lit up the cigarette resting between his lips, looking between the crumbling visage of the compound and the setting sun. The surviving kids should've been picked up by now, though the cleanup crew was still finding new bodies amongst the carnage. What a complete disaster this was, and all of it could've been so easily avoided. In the past, he might have wished that the officers involved hadn't been so incompetent and obsessed with optics over doing their job, but experience had taught him that they were all like that. They all needed a kick in the head to do anything right. He was one of the few exceptions that actually cared.

"So this is the place?"

He turned his attention to the three-letter suit that was accompanying him, just now catching up to where he had hiked. The agent was tall and lanky, on the older side, and with graying, black hair obviously combed over a bald spot. Bloodhound had asked him on the way over if he was embarrassed by it, and when he said "no", the smell almost made Bloodhound vomit.

"Yes," the agent replied. "This is where the students were held."

"So what was this place's purpose?" Bloodhound continued, taking a long drag of the cigarette. "I couldn't find any record that this place even existed."

"Officially? It doesn't," the agent quipped. "And I'm not authorized to tell you."

Bloodhound scoffed, and rolled his eyes at the malodorous stench coming off of the agent. There's nothing stopping him from telling the truth, he just didn't want to. Maybe he was posturing that he knew more than he actually did, and was too embarrassed to say. When you have a Gift that lets you sniff out lies, you find out that most people smell like shit, and for the pettiest reasons.

"I have top secret clearance," Bloodhound said, "and besides, it's not like you guys can lie to me anyway."

"...Fine," the agent said, after a long pause, "this compound had three purposes. One was to scientifically study Gifts and ascertain how they worked. Many different avenues and mechanisms were explored, even some that would be labeled as pseudoscience, but the research ultimately turned up no leads. There was no consistency or testable scientific explanation."

"Sounds boring," Bloodhound replied, his voice reflecting his disappointment. "I was looking forward to the science lesson."

"Right," the agent remained stone-faced. "The second purpose was to weaponize Gifts, if possible. Research was primarily focused on both how to suppress them and how to enhance them. The former was discovered quickly, with nervous system depressants in particular performing well, but the latter was more complicated. Research is still ongoing, though last I heard the DOD made some startling advancements, and they've begun clinical trials in partnership with a private firm."

"Huh."

Bloodhound didn't like the idea of weaponized superpowers, but he wasn't about to say that out loud. The higher up in the chain of command he climbed, the more powerless he learned that he truly was. He had learned remarkably quickly that society inexorably marched ever onward, animated by forces far greater than any one man. Trying to stop the turning of the wheel of time would only result in him being broken against it.

"Third," the agent continued, "was to discover the origin of the Emergence."

Bloodhound raised an eyebrow.

"And?" he implored. "Did you guys figure it out?"

"Yes," the agent responded, a bit of trepidation creeping into his voice. "But I can't tell you, because I don't know."

Bloodhound sniffled, surprised at the air around the agent smelling clear, for once.

"You have top secret clearance, though," the Bloodhound said. "You're telling me you can't find out?"

"No," the agent replied, curtly. "They made an entire new clearance level just for it. As far as I know, there are only three people alive that could tell you the answer, and all of them are at the highest levels of the US government. Even the president of the United States isn't privy to this information."

The Bloodhound sniffled, air still clear.

"An entire new clearance level, and only three people know?" He asked, incredulous, despite the truthfulness. "What kinda secret would warrant that?"
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

3:19 AM, Wednesday, October 27th, 2021: Undisclosed Location

Brandon Murray stepped into his dingy office, tucked away in the back room of a local laundromat, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. He glanced at the man stretched out over the operating table in the center of the room, then lazily looked between the two that accompanied him, Jessica Johnson and Ryan Smith. He was no stranger to either of them—both were fairly regular customers—nor was he unfamiliar with emergency calls in the early morning hours, but this was the first time that these two had called in an emergency. As curious as he was about what had led to this, he wasn't worried about it. These two always paid well, and he didn't mind charging double.

"What appears to be the problem?" he asked.

"He's been unconscious for nearly a whole day," Ryan said, as Brandon turned away and began putting on his examination gloves. "He's lucky he's still breathing."

Brandon nodded, turning back to the patient and brushing his thumb over the sizeable contusion on the man's forehead.

"Brain trauma is hard to recover from, even with my Gift," he mumbled, one eye only half open. "I'll need to insert an IV and make sure his body has the proper nourishment. This will take a few hours. Are you good to cover my rates?"

"Of course," Jessica hissed. "Just get him back in action."

Brandon nodded.

"You can either stay, or I'll call you when he's awake," Brandon said. "Do you have a preferred burner number?"

Jessica and Ryan looked at each other, exchanging a knowing glance in a language that Brandon wasn't privy to, and then looked back to him.

"No," Ryan replied, "we're gonna stay right here."

"Suit yourself," Brandon said, with a shrug. "In the meantime, you should tell me exactly how this happened, and how much trouble you all are in this time."
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

12:02 AM, Wednesday, October 27th, 2021: The Great Basin Desert

The Bloodhound stepped out of his vehicle, flashlight in hand, beam scanning the desert sands around him. The sun had set a long while ago, but the work continued. He still didn't know who was responsible for all of this, besides what few details he was able to glean from the vague testimony of Thomas Brewer, now corroborated by what the students had told the officers.

He did, however find a clue. Deep grooves of heavy tire tracks leading all the way to where he was now, the damp sand from the earlier rain holding the shape of the tracks in place. It was eerily quiet when he stepped out, not even the sounds of a breeze or chirping of some distant animal breaking the dead silence of the desert. Only the thump a car door shutting pierced the night, as the agent he had been partnered with stepped out beside him. Both of them exchanged a silent nod with the other, and began scanning the nearby landscape with their flashlights.

It didn't take long for them to find a new trail dyeing the sand below crimson, leading directly to a corpse.

"Another one?" Bloodhound muttered, then let out a heavy sigh.

Without skipping a beat, the agent pulled out a camera and began taking pictures, the flashes briefly lighting up the desert sands. Bloodhound fished a pair of nitrile gloves out of one of his coat pockets, lazily slipping them over his hands as he crouched down next to the body, examining it as the agent finished taking his photos.

"You got something to write on?" he asked the agent.

"Yes."

"Good, don't miss anything, because I ain't gonna slow down for ya," he said with a frown, as he examined the body.

The Bloodhound cleared his throat.

"Subject is an adult male, who doesn't fit the description of any of the students. He's armed with various less-than-lethal self-defense tools..."

The flashlight beam focused on the man's head and the blood coating the ground around it, his face mangled by an enormous exit wound.

"Subject was shot in the back of the head," Bloodhound continued, rotating his flashlight to the back of the man's head, "by a small caliber arm, execution-style."

"Any ID?" the agent asked, pen scribbling away at a notepad.

The Bloodhound reached out, feeling the insides of the man's pants pockets, his hand coming to grip a small, rectangular object. He delicately removed it, only to find that instead of a wallet, it was a small, worn composition notebook. Without wasting any time, he opened it, shining the flashlight onto the words written within.

(02/27/18)

Hello.

If you are reading this, there's a very good chance that you're either me, or you just plucked this journal off of my corpse.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Unknown Time, Thursday, October 28th, 2021: Undisclosed Location

Jessica paced back in forth in the condemned factory that they had come to claim as a hideout, daylight streaming in through the broken window, glass crunching under her feet as she walked. Incessantly and impatiently, she glanced at the upload progress displayed on her laptop, waiting for the percentage to finally hit 100. She had been waiting so long for this moment, the bags under her eyes displaying the sleepless nights of camera watching and editing that had led up to it.

"Last I checked, Tor isn't very fast," Derek said, lying on the makeshift cot on the other side of the room, "and neither is wi-fi from a Starbucks halfway down the block. You would've been better off getting something to eat with the rest of them, you know."

"Shut up," Jessica cut him off, ignoring the pangs of hunger in her stomach at the mention of food, "I've been waiting too long for this."

Another several minutes passed between them in silence, until, finally, the upload finished, and Jessica's face lit up with excitement.

"It's up," she exclaimed. "It's up! Finally. Now they can't scrub it from the internet, no matter how hard they try. Other people are going to download it and spread it around, and maybe things will start to change!"

She spun in place, beaming back at Derek, who stared at her through a single swollen eye, his own mouth curled into a frown.

"I really hope that change is worth it, Jessie," he mumbled. "I haven't even seen the video myself."

"Oh, shit, yeah," Jessica muttered, rushing back to her laptop to open the file on the computer. "Here, give it a listen."

She double-clicked the file.

The video opened with the distorted voice of Jessica speaking over an image of a deer's skull against a red background.

"We are the Deerstalkers," the voice said.

"We're the ones responsible for the disappearance of the students from Duniway High School in Bend, Oregon. You may be wondering what happened to the students those five long days that they were missing, and why we kidnapped them in the first place. I will help elucidate you.

"Our whole world changed in 1973 to something that was far greater than what came before. Empowered with new Gifts, we were poised to change the way we lived forever. Yet, despite these radical changes to the very cores of our lives, we balked, and resisted. Ever since then, we have carried on as if nothing was different, pretending that we didn't have to change.

"Even though we were now living in a much more interesting world, one where it was obvious that people were not born equal, the strongest of us—those of us most deserving of power and control—have chosen not to use the Gifts that we have been rightfully given to shape the world in our image. And it's all because society has brainwashed them into believing that they are not naturally superior, and that they shouldn't exercise their birthright to take power from those who don't deserve it.

"We, the Deerstalkers, understand this world's true nature. That with our uniquely powerful Gifts and the will to use them, we are capable of rocking its very foundation. Wielding our truth, we decided to teach our lesson to a group of impressionable youths, and let them show the world what was possible if they used their Gifts to their fullest potential.

"By making them play our game, we forced them to throw off their chains and go wild. They, like us, have demonstrated what is possible if those with power cast off the shackles that society has bound them in, and carve their own path through the world, no matter what others might say or want.

"The authorities have failed to capture us, because they do not understand our lesson. Only those uniquely powerful and willing to exercise their strength will be able to stop us. Until then, we will not stop, and this 'tragedy' will happen again, and again.

"Now, behold what this rotten world has wrought."

The video then continued onward, with a supercut of all the kills that they had captured on camera, before Jessica paused it.

She turned back to Derek, motioning towards her laptop.

"Well, what do you think?" she asked.

"I think you sound completely unhinged," he replied, unable to look her in the eyes.

Jessica scowled, crossed her arms, and turned away from him.

"You'll understand one day," she growled. "Everyone will."
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

8:03 AM, Sunday, October 31st, 2021: Undisclosed Location

"Jess, we need to talk."

Jessica stood in front of her ragtag crew, the morning sun lighting up the dingy hideout room. Christopher and Ryan stood off to one side. The former was leaning against the wall and glumly staring at the rest of them, the sound of his respirator acting as the only ambience. The latter was standing by the window, facing away from the rest of them, staring out of it as if he was at an awkward family gathering. In front of her, Derek and Juan were seated on two rusty, worn stools, neither of them able to bring themselves to look at her. Amanda, her best friend, stood in front of them in turn, her presence bearing an unusual kind of weight that was almost suffocating.

"About what, Am?" Jessica asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I've spent a lot of time these last couple days talking to Derek and Juan and," Amanda choked on her own words, "this isn't easy for me, Jess, but we want out."

Jessica grimaced, then glared at them.

"Bullshit you want out. You're only out when-"

The confrontation was interrupted by the sounds of police sirens from the streets below, and the flashing of red-and-blue lights. The lot of them all froze in place, their attention drawn to the window as Ryan stepped out of view, discretely leaning over to take a look.

"Uh, boss," he growled, "we've got a problem... wait, hold-"

He abruptly recoiled like a wounded animal just before a bullet shattered what was left of the window, crashing into the brick wall behind them and leaving a cloud of dust in its wake. Juan and Derek jumped back, their stools hitting the ground in unison, as Amanda's face was overtaken by shock, and she took a weary step back, shivering, her breathing speeding up.

Jessica remained in place, now glaring at the flashing lights, the gears in her head beginning to twist and turn as her own heart rate began to pick up.

"Nevermind, I was wrong," Ryan interjected, back pressed against the wall, his voice surprisingly nonchalant. "We've got a BIG fucking problem."

"Oh my god," Amanda stammered. "Oh my god. This is it. They found us. This is how we finally get caught."

She started to hyperventilate, slowly backing away from the window as Jessica took a step forward, wrapping her hand around Amanda's own and giving it a comforting squeeze.

"Okay, okay, Am. Deep breaths," Jessica soothed, the serenity of her voice disguising her own nervousness. "How many are there, Ryan?"

"A lot more than we've ever dealt with before, by my count," he replied, pulling his pistol out from his pocket. "We kicked the hornet's nest on this one."

Jessica nodded to him, and turned her attention back to Amanda.

"We're gonna be okay, alright? We're all gonna be okay. We're gonna get out of this. I've got an idea," she looked over to the rest of her crew, "but we're all gonna need to work together, alright?"

"Juan," she ordered, "get me your strongest venom. Derek, get the ball bearings..."

8:05 AM, Sunday, October 31st, 2021: Portland, Oregon

The Bloodhound stepped out of his cruiser, lit cigarette and notebook in hand, eyeing the old, condemned factory building that they had traced the perpetrators to, and more specifically the window one of the snipers' bullets just went through. The Portland police chief stepped towards him, amongst the chaos of a legion of SWAT officers dressed head-to-toe in tactical gear swarming all around them, orders being barked from their superiors.

"You the guy?" the chief asked.

"Yep," Bloodhound replied, taking a long drag of his cigarette. "You're looking for Jessica Johnson, Amanda Harris, Ryan Smith, Juan Martinez, Christopher Lewis, and Derek Jones."

Bloodhound tucked the journal away in his coat pocket. It had served its purpose, and may the man who wrote it rest in peace. He didn't know how the boys in the NSA managed to narrow the search down to one district in Portland, but they did. The technical details made his eyes glaze over -- some gobbledygook about "not purging metadata" and "compromised Tor nodes" and a bunch of other nonsense. Frankly, seeing the depth of surveillance everyone in the country was subjected to made him uncomfortable, and he tried his best not to think about it.

Besides, he understood what came after all of that. He was no stranger to traditional investigation, and it hadn't taken them any time at all. There were already dozens of reports from the locals about "suspicious characters" leaving and entering the building that he was now standing in front of. One stakeout later, and they successfully identified one of the people listed in the journal entering the building. One morning later, and they were all ready to rumble.

The agent that had accompanied the Bloodhound on their journey to the old compound stepped out of the vehicle behind them. Without missing a beat, the lanky man started imposing his will on the officers around them, barking commands to them, telling them to "shoot on sight". Bloodhound couldn't help but cringe, hearing it. These scumbags deserved a trial as much as anyone else, but despite his misgivings, he didn't speak up. Instead, he took another long drag of his cigarette.

His mind wandered to the quote, "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". He replied to himself, outwardly standing as calm and collected as ever, that he never claimed to be a good man. He cared, but he was ultimately just like everyone else, trying to get by, and sometimes doing the right thing. Standing up for the rights of mass murderers, when he had seen their handiwork firsthand, wouldn't do him any favors with his fellows.

Instead, he stood by and watched as the first wave of armed-to-the-teeth officers breached the building.

8:14 AM, Sunday, October 31st, 2021: Portland, Oregon

Eric Davidson shined his flashlight beam down the dark maintenance hallway, towards the stairs leading up to the second floor of the complex. He kept his riot shield held aloft, doing his best to keep his beam steady even as his nerves were starting to get the better of him. It was too quiet. He knew someone was in here, he had heard the shot go through the window, and yet it was silent.

He gingerly stepped forward, his partner and other fellow officers just behind him, creeping towards the stairwell at the end of the hall. One moment, all was calm, and in the next, his beam started to catch some kind of mist in the air, and he heard a few thumps of bodies hitting the ground behind him.

"It's coming through the vents," someone called out.

He covered his mouth and nose, and before he could comprehend what was happening, his partner pointed, and a gust of wind almost sucked the air out of his lungs. A moment later, the mist had been cleared out, and he listened radio chatter of officers calling out the attack behind him. He craned his neck back towards them, barely keeping himself together, only to then hear the gentle pip-pip of something rolling down the stairs. He spun, readying his riot shield for incoming fire, only to see that it was a bunch of ball bearings rolling down the stairs. Fear quickly turned into confusion, and as he opened his mouth to call back to the rest of them, he heard a grinding of metal and ducked behind his shield.

"WATCH OUT-"

Then, all at the same time, the ball bearings popped like overfilled balloons, dust filling the air as shrapnel hit the walls and ceiling all around them. He gingerly lowered his shield, spotting the flecks of metal embedded in it, and realized he had come out the other side unscathed, but his fellows were less lucky. He shined his flashlight back towards them, and saw that nearly all of them bore the marks of small wounds on their unarmored legs and arms.

"I'm hit!" one of them called out. "It burns, it-"

Then, one by one, the others all started collapsing and convulsing on the ground, foaming at the mouth. Then, almost as soon as it started, the convulsions abruptly stopped, the injured officers' exposed skin beginning to turn blue. Only three of them were left: Eric himself, his partner who had also been protected by the riot shield, and the one member of the force with ceramic skin, who was now checking the others one by one for a pulse. He stood there in abject horror at the sheer number of bodies of his fellow officers that had so suddenly piled up, the terror nearly overwhelming him and telling him to run out of here before the carnage got even worse, but his partner's hand came to rest on his shoulder, and steadied him.

"It's alright," he said. "We're gonna retreat, and then-"

Before his partner could finish his sentence, Eric felt a rush of air behind him, and saw a bullet go straight through his partner's face. He spun around, face to face with a man in a bizarre rubber shark mask, with a woman in a rubber bear mask just behind him, clutching his arm like a child would a teddy bear. He started to raise his shield in front of him, but the man in the Shark mask leveled his pistol at Eric's face, and a moment later, Eric Davidson was no more.

Only one officer still stood in the aftermath, his ceramic skin saving him from the shots that followed. He attempted to return fire, only for the man and woman to disappear just as suddenly as they had appeared. Heaving and panicked, the man started to turn to retreat, turning around only to come face to face with a short woman with dyed purple hair. His eyes met hers, and before he could pull the trigger to blow her away, she said-

"Stop."

And he stopped.

"Drop it."

And he dropped his gun.

"Stand still."

And so he stood still, and she leaned up to give him a kiss on his cold, hard cheek, before forcing a pistol into his mouth and pulling the trigger.

8:35 AM, Sunday, October 31st, 2021: Portland, Oregon

"Status report!" the chief yelled into his radio. "Hello?!"

The Bloodhound stood off to one side, his eyes still stuck on the same window, trying to make out if there was any more movement coming from behind it. He was doing his best to ignore the chief's shouting, because he knew what had happened to the officers that went in. He'd seen enough raids on organized, empowered criminal organizations to know that there were a lot of ways for things to go wrong, and even the best intel on their Gifts and armaments couldn't save everyone.

"Goddammit," the chief yelled. "Send another team in! This is a rescue operation now!"

So Bloodhound watched as another stream of officers breached the building, the rest of them remaining camped out where they were, civilians gathering from beyond the established perimeter, gawking at the show in front of them. He let out a sigh, and lit another cigarette, letting it rest on his lips as they waited. Seconds turned into minutes, and the police chief's radio finally got a response.

"Chief, everyone in team A is dead. There's nobody else in here."

"What the fuck do you mean there's nobody in there?" the chief snarled.

"There's equipment, but no perps, chief," the radio crackled. "They're gone."

The chief bit his bottom lip, and then motioned to the officers around him.

"They've been cut loose!" he shouted, "Get me officers all across the city. We've got ourselves a manhunt!"
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Sunday, October 31st, 2021: nytimes.com

10 Officers Dead After Failed Police Raid on Bend Kidnappers' Hideout

After an unsuccessful assault on the presumed hideout of the Bend, Oregon kidnappers, ten officers have been left dead and the suspects have evaded capture, says Portland police chief.

PORTLAND, Oregon — Nine minutes after the first group of officers breached the suspected hideout of the Bend kidnappers, their fellow officers on the scene were shocked to hear screams and cries of distress over their short-range communicators.

"It was like listening to a nightmare," said Pete Dunn, one of the officers on the scene. "Everyone just froze up."

Despite intensive, nationwide effort to capture those responsible for the kidnappings and mass killings of students from Duniway High School in Bend, Oregon, the suspects have so far evaded capture, and left even more bodies in their wake. According to Portland police chief Jason Abney, the suspects have extremely dangerous Gifts that make them difficult to engage, even for well-armed and well-trained officers. Civilians are advised to avoid and report the suspects, said Abney.

Among the items recovered from the hideout included numerous weapons, and several duffel bags full of cash, amounting to multiple millions of dollars. In light of these findings, the Multnomah County District Attorney now believes that the Bend kidnappers were the ones responsible for the high-profile Las Vegas heist that occurred last September.

According to an anonymous FBI correspondent, the suspects have been successfully identified by federal agencies, but their identities have not yet been released to the public.

Thanks for reading The Times.
Create your free account or log in to continue reading.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

9:14 AM, Monday, November 1st, 2021: GalaxY Headquarters

"Fran, have you seen the news?"

Eli shut his laptop, situated on his desk right next to his signed copy of Atlas Shrugged, and stood up from his seat. He paced to one side of his office, not making eye contact with his assistant, instead focusing his attention on his vintage, framed Iron Man comics. Francesca stopped tapping away at her own keyboard just in time to answer.

"Oh, yeah, boss," she said, "doesn't that mean you owe me six grand, now? On top of the four grand from the first bet."

Eli smirked, still facing away from Francesca.

"I'll add it to your next paycheck," he replied. "Remind me not to bet against you in the future."

"Especially when it's betting on the cops, I mean," she laughed, "you should know better, right?"

He tilted his head to one side, his gaze transfixed on the cover of the comics, and chuckled.

"You're right, you're right," he muttered, turning his head to face his assistant. "Besides that, any update on the situation on your end?"

"Weeeeell," she said, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose and re-adjusting her headset. "You know the manifesto they threw up? I was trying to reverse-engineer the distortion to the audio, figure out who it was, you know? I think I've got a sample that's pretty good, but my scripts are still trawling the internet trying to find a match on social media. We'll get that good PR when I catch 'em, boss."

Eli nodded, then spun on his heel to face her fully, one eyebrow raised.

"You have a recording of their manifesto?"

"Oh, yeah, no," Francesca smiled wide, a mischievous, mocking grin. "I downloaded it a few hours after it went up. You gotta hear it, it's some wacky bullshit."

Francesca tapped away at her laptop screen for a few moments, before unplugging her headset from her laptop.

"We are the Deerstalkers," said the voice from the laptop. "We're the ones responsible for the disappearance of the students from Duniway High School ..."

Eli's smile disappeared, his eyebrow lowering. He gestured towards his desk, bringing his novelty mug towards him, and then up to his lips. He took a sip, listening as the distorted voice spoke.

"Ever since then, we have carried on as if nothing was different, pretending that we didn't have to change."

He let the mug lower itself, focusing his attention more acutely on the words that were being said.

"...the strongest of us—those of us most deserving of power and control—have chosen not to use the Gifts that we have been rightfully given to shape the world in their image..."

Eli's eyebrow shot back up, the corners of his mouth curling into a slight frown.

"...we, the Deerstalkers, understand this world's true nature. That with our uniquely powerful Gifts and the will to use them, we are capable of rocking its very foundation..."

He began to stroke the bottom of his chin, eyes downcast and teeth gently nipping his bottom lip.

"Now, behold what this rotten world has wrought."

Francesca hit a button on her keyboard to pause the video.

"Annnnd that's where it ends, at least for us," Francesca said, snickering, barely holding back her laughter. "Some funny shit, right boss? These guys are crazy. I mean, you gotta be to kidnap a bunch of kids to LARP Battle Royale of all things, but..."

She trailed off, noticing that Eli was neither laughing, nor responding, instead seemingly lost in thought.

"Uh, boss? You in there?"

Eli turned back to face his framed comics once more, gazing at them for one, long, crystalline moment.

"Francesca," he said, his tone suddenly changing from one of friendly office banter to an authority giving orders. "Drop everything else that you're doing. You're finding these people as soon as possible, before the authorities do."

Francesca was quiet for a moment, then she smiled, and started laughing again.

"Aww, want the glory for catching them all for yourself, huh boss? Yeah, I can do that. Give me some time to figure out who the voice is and I'll catch 'em. They've got to have left a trail somewhere, given how shitty their infosec already was."

"Yes," Eli replied, his eyes not leaving Tony Stark's metallic visage, a smile once more creeping onto his face. "Indeed."
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021: The Great Basin Desert

Desert winds whipped across the great basin, shrubs and grass tufts gently swaying in the breeze. The cold air of the coming dry winter would nip at the skin of those who stayed here, were there anyone left. Only sorrow and old ghosts occupied this place, now. They would never find their way home, the old road now ripped from the earth, chewed up and digested by great machines of metal and smoke.

The old concrete compound bore witness to the end of its lifeline, the one beacon leading people back to it. Unsatisfied with merely cutting it off from all that lies across the desert, the ones controlling the great machines filled its insides with great balls of fire, and fulfilled their dark task with no-one the wiser. The building was nothing but rubble and dead dreams now, its once silent halls and vacant rooms stripped of what little equipment that had been left behind. Even the bodies of those who now haunted this place would never see the light of day, taken by phantoms of the waking world and reduced to ash in cleansing flame, never to be buried.

Swallowed up by the desert or taken by the kidnappers, the phantoms would say to the grieving families.

The secrets that had been unearthed here would never again see the light of day. There was knowledge too great and terrible to risk becoming commonly accepted fact, and the bread crumbs that might entice amateur sleuths must by swiftly tidied up and disposed of. Those that clutched these mysteries tightly to their chests would go to their graves before they dared pull back the veil.

All the while, far away from this now abandoned place, schemers planned their next moves to twist and warp the shape of this world to their liking.

((SOTF: Supers V1 - End))

Return to “SOTF: Supers Important Information”