High Plains Drifter

I'm stuck on your heart, I hang on every word you say. [Oneshot, First Announcement.]

A large, flat portion of sandy desert terrain north of The Compound and the old road leading to it. The Flatlands are covered in densely packed, low-lying brush and patches of grass, giving anyone within it plenty of places to hide, but very little cover from attack.

THREAD LIMIT: 3

Moderator: SOTF Supers Staff

Dogs231
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

High Plains Drifter

Post by Dogs231 »

NOAH DAVIS: CONTINUED FROM "Star in the Dust"

Noah walked through the expanse, aimless and purposeless. His nominal goal was still the guardhouse, but his movement was dull and listless.

At some point in time, though he had lost track of when, the announcements blared. Wailing feedback, lists of names, people dead and gone.

He'd known them once.

In his mind, Noah remembered their shared past, the chance meetings, and friendships from forever ago, cut and gone, drifting in the past like aimless ships. They were lost connections from another life.

That first set of names were those personally killed by the captors; they practically bragged about it. Noah felt his hands ball into angered, powerless fists. They didn't have the right, he thought, to kill them. They'd done nothing wrong but stand against the terror.

Noah and Kincaid hadn't ever been more than acquaintances. He had tried to reach out, but the other boy never wanted to talk. Noah stayed away because of that. He wished he'd tried harder to forge that connection, but he knew that his wishes amounted to nothing.

Jenelle was much the same; they'd met here and there, but she pushed him as far away as possible. He sympathized with her, but it still stung when she talked to him with awful words and awful tones. If he'd tried harder to understand, maybe they wouldn't have been so far apart, but it wasn't possible now.

He could imagine the pain Austin would feel, and it reminded him that the two would need to meet once more. They'd lost the people closest to them; now more than ever, they needed to support one another. Noah realized that he should have warned the other boy before he left; at the time, he'd been in what amounted to a trance.

Sydney and Noah had been friends before. When he'd seen her alone, he'd stuck out his hand in greeting, then sat down beside her. They'd talked for a moment, then minutes, then an hour.

He remembered her love of sci-fi and fantasy books and how they'd swapped recommendations. She liked music, too; she played the drums, him the guitar. She drew characters from tabletop games and dragons from medieval stories. They swapped woodworking tips; he told her how to build a chair, and she taught him how to carve a spear.

The second slate were those killed by their peers, which the captors announced with derisive, sickening pride. Noah's heart sank further, and he could feel a pit grow within his stomach. The game had changed them, he thought. A day ago and the thought would have been inconceivable.

The first victim was Moose, one of Crispin's friends. He didn't know him well, but he did know the killer, Mercedes, to an extent; he counted her among his friends, and while they'd never been close, he didn't take her for a murderer. He couldn't feel sure, though, not after what he'd experienced.

Orion had been killed with a rock by Joel. He didn't know either of them very well, but the caginess left Noah suspicious; as far as he could tell, there wasn't any reason for them not to say what happened. There was more to the story, Noah was sure.

Cyrus was the next on the list, his collar detonated by the terrorists after a struggle with Jacob; he had no love for Cyrus, but it still felt wrong to think about him as dead. He couldn't imagine Jacob killing someone maliciously, but a part of himself nagged at the thought.

He thought back to the guardhouse. He clenched his fist.

Noah knew Yvette somewhat; they'd talked about their Gifts before, and he'd always sympathized with her and her with him. He wasn't sure they were close enough to call each other friends, but the news of her death was a blow to him nonetheless. The circumstances, to him, sounded somewhat uncertain; she might have been killed unrelated to the injury, he theorized, but he wasn't sure.

Raja was the last of the dead, poisoned by Isabella's hive. He'd been wrong in saying that she wouldn't hurt anybody, completely and utterly. Noah didn't know if she even tried to do so, but it happened nonetheless. He worried for August and Ana; he hoped, in his heart, that they would be safe.

As it stood now, nine people were dead. Nine lit candles, bright lights, snuffed out, nothing but embers left. They all deserved better, Noah knew, better than this.

It wouldn't have ever happened if they'd just been allowed to go about their lives.

NOAH DAVIS: CONTINUED IN "a mutual problem"
[+] PRESENT
SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V1:
[ERROR: RELATIONSHIP THREAD UNAVAILABLE.]
Appearance Tracker

O18: Alexander "Lex" Latimer - "You've got something to go home to, right? Then it's yours."
Assigned Weapon: Pistol Auto 9mm 1A, Pistol Auto 9mm 1A
Location: He prepared for the end in The Mysterious Circle - United by the Moment.
Pregame History: [ERROR: PREGAME HISTORY UNAVAILABLE.]
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

SOTF: Cyber
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE]

A01: Solana "Sunny" Lucero Estelle - "—maybe I'll die. But, you know, united we stand, united we fall. Something like that, anyway. If I'm going, well, I'm going down swinging."
Designated Weapon: W-7 — Gold Silverware Set
Designated Utility: U-26 — Surveillance System
Location: She met her match and lost the game in The Distorted Homeroom (Room 308) - Error.
In-Game History: 1/1

A18: Daniel Arista - "It ain't right for a man, you know, to die on his knees." [Adopted from Cob]
Designated Weapon: W-27 — Tennis Racket
Designated Utility: U-18 — Non-Fungible Token (NFT)
Location: He played the game like he was told in The Distorted Homeroom (Room 308) - Error.
In-Game History: 1

ONE ROOM DEATH GAME:
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE]

Tyler Becerra - "We're all gonna make it."
Location: He's gambling with his life in The Stage - One Room Death Game.
In-Game History: 1
[+] PAST
SOTF-TV V3:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

ES03: Cory Cartwright - "We can have power over the situation. We can defeat the game. We only need to figure out how."
Assigned Weapon: Diving Knife
Location: He was out of his depth in Jetties: Central - Armageddon Game. [47/81]
Pregame History: 1
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

S015: Noah Davis - "We're alive, and that means we still have a chance to set things right."
Gift: Finger Guns
Location: He tried his best, but came up short in The Flatlands - Pale Rider. [19/43]
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE.]

B15: Shūya Nanahara - "Well, now, I'm no hero, that's understood..."
Assigned Weapon: Icepick, the Power of Rock Music!
Location: He refused to play by the rules in In-Between - The Worst Game in History. [10/42].
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
[+] CONCEPTS
[+] SOTF-SECOND CHANCES V3

Liam Black is one sick puppy - "No more rain, where's the sunshine when you need it?"
Austin White is always right - "I would very much like to see you prove me wrong."
[+] SOTF-SECOND CHANCES V4

Josh Goodman is living the dream - "For a mad scientist, imagination is the greatest weapon."
[+] SOTF-TV INTERMISSION

Tamarisk Allen is a dead ringer - "We're friends, and friends stay together to the end, right?"
Stryker Williams is the best around - "Now, I'm going to take my first step towards greatness."
Blake Killam is made for this - "This show has been my life, from start to finish."
[+] SOTF-TV V4

Richard de la Cruz is determined to win - "Watch as I do something unimaginable."
Evan Gemstone is ready to die on this hill - "I'll send this whole structure crashing down."
[+] SOTF-U V2

Alex Wituk is vibrating with motion - "I don't know what came over me, but I was on fire with anger!"
[+] SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V2

Kim Song is under watch - "두렵더라도 강해져야 합니다."
[+] SOTF-SUPERS V2

Adam Ka'uhane is forgotten - "Nobody will remember me when I'm gone."
[+] OTHER

Caius Jones is a doomsayer - "The signs are clear; the end is nigh!"
Maxwell Verity is telling the truth - "Life is an equation, and numbers don't lie."
Aiden Chase is speedrunning life - "It's simple, just beat the clock."
[+] EXTRA

SOTF AU V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

B001: Jason Dagon - "They say it's hard taking a life; they're wrong. It's the easiest thing in the world."
Assigned Weapon: IWI UZI
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36

Return to “The Flatlands (Danger Zone)”