There'll Always Be an England

And England Shall Be Free, if England Means as Much to You, as England Means to Me (Oneshot - Day One, During Announcements)

Nestled on the edge of the rainforest, cracked into the side of a hill, is the entrance to a large underground area. While outside lighting will make it through the descent into the natural atrium, all bets are off beyond that point as the only way of traversing the darkness is through torchlight. Otherwise, one might have difficulty navigating the vast tunnel system, damp with rainforest water and littered with bones of various ages and sizes, some of which look less animal-like than others. However, navigate these caves successfully, and you may find the light again, in the form of an exit into one of the island’s other areas.

Moderator: SOTF International Staff

Dogs231
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

There'll Always Be an England

Post by Dogs231 »

(He came from I Vow to Thee, My Country.)

He and the girl - he had silently resolved to avoid using her name when possible - had wandered away from the coast. He was now sure that they would need to find shelter, as it had begun to drizzle since their departure, and it was growing colder as the sun lowered. He noticed the threshold of a natural cave system, and walked towards it, then entered. He found himself in a natural atrium, and he saw what remained of the dying sunlight through openings in the ceiling, and he heard the patter of the rain against the stone.

He knew that the area was clear and motioned for the girl to enter. He found a small alcove in the wall - a position from which he could remain in shelter and still receive the remaining natural light of the evening. He knew it would be better to stay for a short while, to regain their bearings before they moved onward.

He opened his bag and began to sort through the items. He looked through his rations, counted them, and sorted them by how much sustenance he felt they would provide. His inventory had a total of four two-litre bottles of water, four meal replacement drinks, two meals-ready-to-eat, and assorted snacks. He quickly determined that the rations they had each received would be insufficient to survive a prolonged duration of time, likely to provoke competition. He decided he would start by consuming the meals with less nutritional value to conserve the more valuable supplies for when he needed them.

He also inspected the medical supplies, identifying the items and their purposes. He then removed the lighter from the package and separated it from the rest of the first aid kit - he felt that he could find a use for it outside of medical purposes. He saw that the remainder of his bag's contents consisted of the map and compass he had taken note of earlier and a torch. He took all the items he had splayed across the ground and neatly stored them within the daypack, except the snacks and the torch, and then zipped up the canvas container.

He took the bag of Irvins-branded salted egg potato crisps and the bag of White Rabbit-branded milk candies. He felt that they would be the least nutritious foodstuff provided to him - and thus, of poor long-term benefit. He concluded that the two items were of Singaporean origin, which identified the nationality of the violent boy he had encountered earlier. He consumed the crisps, which tasted good, and the confections, which were solid as stone but serviceable, then disposed of the plastic bags and wrappings.

He heard a noise from a speaker just after he had eaten and lingered within the cave to avoid interrupting it. He gleamed several pieces of information from the announcements - performed by the same man who had done the briefings. He now knew that there were twenty-nine competitors total, and two of them had died. He ran a quick calculation in his head - twenty-seven, including him and the other girl, continued to live.

He chose to discount the American boy who had perished in the briefing. He was silently thankful that, unlike the others, he did not know the name of the American. He did not want to attach a name to the loud shouts or the collapsing skull or the spatter of blood on his windbreaker. He could not have said the same about the faceless carcass on the beach.

He did not want to think about these matters anymore. He decided that it would be best to advance to a better shelter. He picked the torch off of the ground, turned it on with a click, then shined the beam of light into a pitch-black passageway. He saw that it was clear, then motioned to his companion and walked forward. He left without waiting to see if she would follow him and tried to ignore the fact that his hands trembled.

(He went to The Company You Keep.)
[+] PRESENT
SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V1:
[ERROR: RELATIONSHIP THREAD UNAVAILABLE.]
Appearance Tracker

O18: Alexander "Lex" Latimer - "You've got something to go home to, right? Then it's yours."
Assigned Weapon: Pistol Auto 9mm 1A, Pistol Auto 9mm 1A
Location: He prepared for the end in The Mysterious Circle - United by the Moment.
Pregame History: [ERROR: PREGAME HISTORY UNAVAILABLE.]
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

SOTF: Cyber
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE]

A01: Solana "Sunny" Lucero Estelle - "—maybe I'll die. But, you know, united we stand, united we fall. Something like that, anyway. If I'm going, well, I'm going down swinging."
Designated Weapon: W-7 — Gold Silverware Set
Designated Utility: U-26 — Surveillance System
Location: She met her match and lost the game in The Distorted Homeroom (Room 308) - Error.
In-Game History: 1/1

A18: Daniel Arista - "It ain't right for a man, you know, to die on his knees." [Adopted from Cob]
Designated Weapon: W-27 — Tennis Racket
Designated Utility: U-18 — Non-Fungible Token (NFT)
Location: He played the game like he was told in The Distorted Homeroom (Room 308) - Error.
In-Game History: 1

ONE ROOM DEATH GAME:
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE]

Tyler Becerra - "We're all gonna make it."
Location: He's gambling with his life in The Stage - One Room Death Game.
In-Game History: 1
[+] PAST
SOTF-TV V3:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

ES03: Cory Cartwright - "We can have power over the situation. We can defeat the game. We only need to figure out how."
Assigned Weapon: Diving Knife
Location: He was out of his depth in Jetties: Central - Armageddon Game. [47/81]
Pregame History: 1
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

S015: Noah Davis - "We're alive, and that means we still have a chance to set things right."
Gift: Finger Guns
Location: He tried his best, but came up short in The Flatlands - Pale Rider. [19/43]
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE.]

B15: Shūya Nanahara - "Well, now, I'm no hero, that's understood..."
Assigned Weapon: Icepick, the Power of Rock Music!
Location: He refused to play by the rules in In-Between - The Worst Game in History. [10/42].
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
[+] CONCEPTS
[+] SOTF-SECOND CHANCES V3

Liam Black is one sick puppy - "No more rain, where's the sunshine when you need it?"
Austin White is always right - "I would very much like to see you prove me wrong."
[+] SOTF-SECOND CHANCES V4

Josh Goodman is living the dream - "For a mad scientist, imagination is the greatest weapon."
[+] SOTF-TV INTERMISSION

Tamarisk Allen is a dead ringer - "We're friends, and friends stay together to the end, right?"
Stryker Williams is the best around - "Now, I'm going to take my first step towards greatness."
Blake Killam is made for this - "This show has been my life, from start to finish."
[+] SOTF-TV V4

Richard de la Cruz is determined to win - "Watch as I do something unimaginable."
Evan Gemstone is ready to die on this hill - "I'll send this whole structure crashing down."
[+] SOTF-U V2

Alex Wituk is vibrating with motion - "I don't know what came over me, but I was on fire with anger!"
[+] SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V2

Kim Song is under watch - "두렵더라도 강해져야 합니다."
[+] SOTF-SUPERS V2

Adam Ka'uhane is forgotten - "Nobody will remember me when I'm gone."
[+] OTHER

Caius Jones is a doomsayer - "The signs are clear; the end is nigh!"
Maxwell Verity is telling the truth - "Life is an equation, and numbers don't lie."
Aiden Chase is speedrunning life - "It's simple, just beat the clock."
[+] EXTRA

SOTF AU V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

B001: Jason Dagon - "They say it's hard taking a life; they're wrong. It's the easiest thing in the world."
Assigned Weapon: IWI UZI
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36

Return to “The Underground Cave”