When Betting On High Card Pays Off

Even a straight flush can lose every now and then (Private)

This ship is a replica of a traditional clipper ship, painstakingly built to recreate the proper design elements and functionality. Originally used for filming and for theme tours in Southeast Asia, it was badly damaged when an inexperienced captain scraped a pier during a storm, and was put into dry dock pending repairs. Ultimately, however, insurance proceedings saw it declared a total write-off and sold for scrap. It has gashes in the sides that have been crudely but competently repaired, and inside the ships has wide expanses of wooden floor spanning two decks. The rigging is the most impressive part, with a crow's nest that serves as the highest point of the arena, should one dare venture up the rope ladder. A rather anachronistic yet fully functional cannon has been mounted on the deck, fixed in the vague direction of a section of outer marina, though only three cannonballs are present, each massive sphere tucked away in the back of the very bottom deck of the ship.
Aura

Post by Aura »

(Rhonda Rollins continued from May I Have Your Attention Please?)

Rhonda had heard the fighting. That was why she had tucked herself away in a hiding spot near the ship, hoping that no one would think to search for her. She had the option of running, but staying out in the open was a scary choice. So she holed herself up in a corner, keeping her shotgun aimed at the nearest opening in case someone came looking for her. She only needed one shot if it came down to it. She was further shaken when she heard some yelling, and some shooting, but even so, her hiding place remained undisturbed. She remained in place, too rattled to run, and just rattled enough to open fire if anyone came into her range of vision.

A few minutes passed before Rhonda's legs would let her move out from her position, after the voices had stopped and she felt secure enough in the idea that she wouldn't be sniped the instant she poked her head out. She made her way through the clipper ship, taking calculated steps to remain covert until she needed to be seen, her shotgun cradled in her hands. Her hopes were pointed in a simple direction. If anyone from the conflict that she overheard was left, hopefully they would be a reasonable party. And if not... well, she would burn that bridge when she came to it.

She ascended to the deck and found a small group there. She wasn't close enough to make out their conversation, and she didn't think that they had noticed her yet, so she continued her cautious approach. She opened her mouth to speak up, but that got quite a bit harder when she got a little closer and saw that they were joined by a corpse on the ground. Once she noticed it, she could swear that she saw Xander, or Giselle. She shut her eyes and shook her head to snap herself out of it, although she could still feel her breathing start to pick up. She held up one hand while still keeping the gun held visible, just in case.

"Hey." She said, slowing her approach to a crawl. She swallowed hard, as it was getting harder by the moment to not let her nerves take over. "You, uh... you guys all right?"
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Nadine was at a loss for words. It was clear both other girls were crushed by his death, and that they'd likely known him a lot better than she ever did. He was practically a stranger to Nadine; as awful as his death felt, she couldn't even really say she was grieving for him. If anything, she felt much more guilt than loss; he'd died mere feet away from her, and she'd stayed hidden. Even knowing there was little she could've done to stop it didn't help. She merely stood over Jasper's corpse, unable to do anything.

Hearing the collar crackle to life was a surprise. She'd assumed it would be deactivated once Jasper was dead. It wasn't time to remark on it now, but Nadine made a mental note of it anyway.

The other girl asked Shoshanna what she and Jasper had been doing. Shoshanna clearly still needed a moment, so Nadine nearly responded in her stead. Before she could, however, another stranger arrived, and an armed one, at that. She asked if they were alright, a question whose answer seemed fairly self-evident. She didn't necessarily seem hostile, but it was hard not to view her as at least a bit of a threat when she was still openly carrying a gun.

All she could say to the new girl was, "Define 'alright'."
[+] TV3
"Finish what you started."
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
"You wouldn’t say that if you knew me better."
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[+] New BRAU
"Just remember me. Okay?"
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Shoshanna's moment of silence was broken by the sounds coming from Jasper's collar. She quickly opened her eyes, loosened her tense teeth and fists, and looked at Jasper's body. Apparently, Jewel could still talk to her from the collar even though the wearer was dead. Jewel apologized for no longer being able to help her, but was rooting for her as long as she didn't conflict with anyone else on Jewel's team.

Shoshanna shook her head.

"Well, if any of those three fuckers were on your team, Jewel, you better warn them to stay away from me," Shoshanna proclaimed. "Cause I won't make the same mistake again."

Shoshanna lifted her head to the sky and deeply inhaled. She exhaled as another girl's voice came from behind her. Shoshanna quickly turned to see the girl. She appeared to be another random passerby, but Shoshanna couldn't care to figure out who she was right now.

While Nadine was talking to the new girl, Akeno had asked Shoshanna what her relationship with Jasper was.

"I'm going to keep doing what Jasper and I were doing before he was killed," Shoshanna told the girl, keeping her voice low. "I'm getting out of here, and I'm taking whoever I can with me."
G014: Mayumi Tendou
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2
Brigid Paxton: Deceased
Louisa Bloom: Deceased

Program V3 Prologue
Rodney Vasicek: Escaped
Ambrose Lexington: Deceased
Helena Christensen: Deceased

Program V3
Philippa "Pippa" Andolini: Deceased
Nastasia "Nastya" Zharkova: Deceased

TV:

TV2
Asa Rosen: Deceased
Taylor DeVasher: Deceased

TV3
Dale Hawthorne: Deceased
Shoshanna Kowalczyk: Deceased

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1
Paige Strand: Deceased
Amber Whimsy: Deceased

Second Chances V2
Sophie McDowell: Deceased
Wham Yubeesling
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Wham Yubeesling »

As it turned out, there was a difference between being on SotF and being on SotF.

((Marion Rosales, continued from…))

...That sentence needed emphasis to actually mean what Marion meant it to meant. The idea behind it was that… there was a clear difference between hearing of something and actually having that experience for yourself. It was like… hm. There was a clear example aside from the example right in front of her but she didn’t particularly want to address that example just yet so she was stuck grasping for something else adequate. Stumbling and pausing through all of her sentences as if something had thrown her out of her normal. As if there was the dead body of someone she knew right on top of the deck and for some reason that was interfering with the process of thinking about things.

As it turned out, there was a difference between being on SotF and being on SotF.

Marion had thought that she could perhaps take it. Hearing about death. She and Nadine had been at the pool when those first announcements played, and Marion had been able to take it. Sit there. Listen to the non-charismatic radio host make jokes about which friends were dead and which friends and also others had chosen to end their lives. Not break down. Not give the people behind the cameras the anything they were so clearly looking for. She had done it then. She had also done it just before, in the cabin, with the group, when so many more people been on that list. But now there was someone out there. Someone dead. Someone who Marion had known here. Someone who Marion had just been chatting with, not even half an hour earlier.

It was a little bit harder to deal with that. Marion had had to stay inside the cabin for longer than Nadine. Compose herself. Make sure she could stay that way once she stepped outside.

And Marion did. She stepped outside. Felt the sun and the air — both the wind, and the feeling brought out by everyone here. She hadn’t really intended on doing it, but her eyes started to dart across each person to… eliminate the suspects. Find out which person here had been eliminated. It wasn’t Nadine, because Nadine was standing quite close to her and also nobody had died after Marion and Nadine were allowed to leave the cabin. It wasn’t Shoshanna, because Shoshanna was right there. Still talking. Still trying to get people in on the plan. It hadn’t been one of the intruders, because Jasper’s body was on the floor there and she was pretty sure Jasper had been a member of this group since longer than she had. It hadn’t been Akeno, because Akeno was standing right there-

Ah.

An opportunity for conversation.

An opportunity for distraction.

“...Um. Hello, you two,” Marion blinked, before giving a smile. Given how nobody was killing each other it was… not easy but still possible to presume this was safe. “Welcome aboard my ship.”
Fenrir
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Post by Fenrir »

Now was probably a good time to make her exit. More people were showing up, more people than she was comfortable being around if she was being honest, even if everyone seemed peaceful for the time being; it was still SOTF after all and one of them was carrying a shotgun.

Akeno’s eyes slid over towards the edge of the ship while introductions were being made, looking at the gap in the railing and the ramp that led down to the jetties. Her heel was still bouncing as she stood there, unable to keep still.

Shoshanna began to speak after a moment of silence and Akeno turned her gaze back that direction; for a moment she’d forgotten that she’d asked the girl a question, even though it was a fairly important one. She let her arms drop back down to her sides and her heel stopped moving as she listened; this girl, whose name she should probably ask for before she left, was going to continue doing what she and Jasper were doing before. That was good to hear. Akeno had a feeling the girl wasn’t just talking about their current situation when she mentioned getting out of here.

She was planning on escaping.

That was interesting. Akeno had never even considered escape as an option, not because it was impossible per se but because it was impossible for her to do herself; there were too many unknown factors that she couldn’t rely on. Even if she had the brains, it had always seemed like a gamble. It kind of explained why she and Jasper had teamed up though; the girl had enough fire that she sounded like she really believed she could do it and Jasper had always been a gambling man.

She was just glad the girl wasn’t thinking of chasing after Fisk and the others for revenge, as hypocritical as that was given her own thoughts. Akeno really didn’t want to see Jasper’s allies, friends or whatever else throw away their lives instead of carrying on as they had been.

She wished them luck.

“If someone like Fisk shows up again, it’s better to run than fight.“ Like Jasper should have done, though now that she saw how many people were below deck she realised why he hadn’t. He wouldn’t leave them behind. “Just avoid fighting as much as you can. It’s not worth the risk.”

It wasn’t worth the risk. That was another piece of advice she wasn’t planning on following herself, another bit of hypocrisy. Akeno still hadn’t looked at Jasper’s body; he was always in the corner of her eye, she was always aware of him lying there, but she had yet to look directly at his body. She’d seen him die and that was bad enough, no need to look again. She’d seen his last words, too far away to actually hear them. If she found herself in a similar situation again she wouldn’t be able to tell herself it wasn’t worth the risk.

Akeno still stood by the advice though. What would work for her wouldn’t work for everyone and there was no reason for a group looking to escape to fight if they could avoid it. She wondered if she should say something else, give more advice or information? “I shouldn’t need to tell you, but avoid anyone with a white hood; they have someone with a gun. Verity has one too, if you see her. And avoid Seo-Yun, just… trust me on that.”

That should be everything. There was more she could have said, apologies that could have been made, grief that could be shared; none of it felt right.

Shoving her hands in her pockets, wrapping a hand around the garrotte when her fingers found it, Akeno began walking towards the edge of the deck.

“Good luck.”

ES10: AKENO KUDO CONTINUED You Think You Know How the Game is Played, Until You’re in it
[+] Supers
SS33: Andrew Martin - The sound of silence
Gift: Hush
[+] TV3
MM02: Sarah Lillian Whitlock - Is anybody out there?
Weapon - WASP Injection Knife
Team - Malcolm's Mariners
Current Location - There's a Fire in the Sky That Only I Can See
Memory Location - Close encounters

ES10: Akeno Kudo - Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset
Memory Location - Coulomb's Law

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
O28: Zander Lin - Don't you know who I am?
Weapon - None
Aura

Post by Aura »

Define "alright"? Not really the easiest question considering how relative that expression was at this point. For all Rhonda knew, "Alright" might as well just mean "Alive". But since there was someone in their presence who couldn't even boast that, she had a decent idea that probably wasn't what this girl meant. She lowered her gun further and used her free hand to scratch under her hair. "You know... you doing okay?"

Shit, that was a terrible answer. And since one of the other girls on the boat was listening to her too, that just made it worse. Okay Rhonda, just think for a second. They're holed up on this old boat, and that corpse is probably fresh if all the mess she heard earlier was anything to go by. They're probably on edge right now, even if they're not showing it that much. Don't say anything stupid, don't do anything to piss them off. Those should be easy enough rules to follow, but she was pretty sure that she was still screwing it up.

"Sorry, sorry..." She backpedaled and apologized rather quickly. "It's just... shit's been real messed up, y'know?" She said glumly, shaking her head. "Last few days.. fuck..." Okay, shit, she wasn't getting anywhere, just talking in circles. She needed to change angles, and there was only one real direction that she could think to move in, for better or worse. She gestured hesitantly towards the body on the ground. "So um... was he a friend of yours?"

Smooth as broken glass.
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

The girl probably wasn't a threat. An idiot, maybe, but not a threat.

"No... no, not really." Nadine glanced back at the deck behind her. The strange girl had disappeared at some point, and in her place stood Marion, managing about as well as anyone could. Shoshanna was back up, and at least seemed to have regained some of her composure. And of course, Jasper hadn't budged an inch. Some miniscule part of her kept hoping he'd prove less dead than he seemed, but she knew better.

She started turning back to their newest interloper, but something made her stop briefly; something lying on the ground glinted in the sun and caught her eye. She couldn't quite make it out, but she suspected she knew what it was, or at the very least, what it had been used for.

"Look, you can stick around if you want," she suggested, returning her gaze to the other girl. "Long as you're not waving the gun around anymore, I don't think anyone'd mind."
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Shoshanna could barely focus on what Marion, Nadine, and the new girl had to say. She was still affixed on Jasper's body. The girl next to her had a few words for her to take in. Her info was a lot of stuff Shoshanna kinda knew from observing the last several minutes and the previous announcements. Verity had a gun, Seo-yun was dangerous, avoid the bagheads. The girl did have one important piece of advice, which was to run from danger.

Shoshanna inhaled and let out a long exhale. Her eyes still stung from the salt water as she watched the girl leave the ship. That just left her with three girls and a dead boy.

Shoshanna swiped more water off her forehead. She had to dry off and get new clothes. But more importantly, she had work to do. Jasper's death couldn't stop the plan from going forward, but there was a lot to do now.

Shoshanna let out a long sigh, then turned back to the girls.

"Hey, let's get Jasper inside the ship," she told them. "We can't just leave him out here to be seagull food."
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Wham Yubeesling

Akeno responded to Marion’s welcome by ignoring her and then proceeding to leave, which was honestly pretty rude. Rhonda had ignored her too. So had Nadine. So had Shoshanna. It seemed like Marion was not, in fact, the captain of this ship. She wasn’t going to dwell on it mostly because it was more just a mild inconvenience rather than anything particularly aggravating but now that Akeno had just ghosted Marion like that the only thing Marion had left to dwell on was Jasper. His corpse, specifically. Shoshanna wanted to drag him inside the ship and while that was a noble and quite kind goal she wasn’t sure whether that was something she was quite capable of doing, right now. The goal of this conversation was to go for as long as possible ignoring the corpse.

Of course, that was still within the realm of possibility. There were multiple topics in this conversation. One was the corpse. The other was the goal of this group — escape. Marion only had to contribute to one of these topics, if she so wanted to.

“That reminds me,” she said. “I talked to Ben during my watch shift. He told me some stuff about the collars.”

Of course, it would be far more efficient to actually say what Ben mentioned about the collars, but sometimes efficiency was being as non-efficient as possible. Sometimes it was best to artificially inflate your wordcount and force the other person to pry info out when it should have been open to start with. It had happened before, and — if it meant perhaps keeping calm about the fact that there was a dead body right in front of Marion — it would happen again. Right here.

“I’m not sure if it would directly help us with escape — I imagine he would not be at liberty to tell us anything the producers would not want us to know — but perhaps…?”
Aura

Post by Aura »

Shit, the gun was too much. Rhonda let it hang by her side, the barrel pointed straight at the ground for minimum intimidation factor. Internally, she was slapping herself for showing up the way she did in the first place. So many better ways that she could have gone about it. She just hoped that she hadn't already pissed away any goodwill that she may have received. When one of them mentioned bringing the body inside to escape the elements, she raised her hand and nodded in agreement. She didn't know jasper, but if Giselle's body deserved respect after what she did, then he deserved it as well.

Once collars get mentioned, Rhonda's free hand comes down to lightly touch the collar around her neck. It still felt cold as usual. Sometimes she neglected the fact that it was there, but it always came back around to remind her one way or another like the constant symbol of uncaring cruelty that it was. She listened with open ears to hear what else Marion had to say, and it was good that she did, because she heard that one magic word that had been on her mind.

Escape.

"Wait, hold up." She said, slightly unable to believe that she had somehow lucked into finding an escape group. "You guys are escaping?" She started feeling excitement welling up inside, along with a sense of hope. She might actually be able to get out of here if she played her cards right. "Can I come with?" It was a blunt request, and Rhonda wasn't especially paying attention to that at the moment. She heard escape and she wanted it.
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

"The more people involved the better, far as I'm concerned," Nadine replied. So long as the others didn't protest, she didn't see any reason to reject her. The girl was rather tactless, but Nadine was hardly reigning champion of tact, and any extra help was welcome. It even sounded like they'd had something resembling a breakthrough, if Marion's mentor could actually be trusted to give anything useful. Any potential lead on the collars would feel like a minor victory in better circumstances, though Jasper's death ensured it wasn't to be celebrated.

Shoshanna wanted to move his body off the deck and into the relative safety of the ship. Nobody moved to help her - though it was hard to blame them - so Nadine walked back to the corpse. A knot coiled in her stomach as she looked down at him; it'd been one thing to see him from afar, or out of the corner of her eye, but looking so closely at him was only making the gravity of his death hit even harder. She wanted this over and done with.

"I'll help. Least I can do," she offered to Shoshanna. She knelt down next to Jasper's upper half and prepared to lift him, once someone else got his legs.
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Shoshanna listened as the other girls talked. Apparently, the new girl wanted to escape with them. Nadine had moved to help pick up Jasper. Shoshanna rubbed the back of her head.

"Okay, fine," Shoshanna stated. "Marion, hold the door open for us. New girl, if you who want to get out with us, get in the cabin. Nadine, bend with your knees and not your back. Let's just get moving because we've got a lot to deal with and I need some dry clothes."

Shoshanna tilted her head to deal with some water that got in her ear. She then walked over to Jasper's feet. She looked over her fallen friend and sighed.

"Sorry, bud," she said to Jasper. "But don't worry. You're not going to have died in vain."

Shoshanna bent down and picked Jasper up with Nadine. They had a lot to do today, especially in light of Jasper's murder.
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Wham Yubeesling

Ignored again.

Oh well.

This would get their attention.

She walked to the door. Pulled it open. Held it — herself — in place. Spoke:

“There are a number of cameras in the black part of our colours below our chins that, allegedly, allow for quite a lot of PoV shots. I can’t quite attest to their quality for obvious reasons — and neither can Ben — but according to my mentor they can be, quoth him, pretty quality. There are also microphones that pick up every single thing we say, regardless of whether we try to be quiet or whether we try to shoot each other while saying things. There is a tracker, for our locations, and failsafes, in the event that we try to… light a match and burn through our collars, I think.”

She stopped. Looked at the group for a second. Specifically, not at the corpse.

“I hope that information is useful. I apologize for not stating it earlier.”
Aura

Post by Aura »

"I'll take a leg." Rhonda said, pointing to the body that they were starting to transport. Helping to lighten the load felt like a pretty good way to slide herself into their good graces. They just needed to get the body inside, and... well, the rest of the plan would probably make itself apparent soon enough. She grabbed a foot, feeling disturbed by its lifeless limpness, and started to lift when Marion spoke up. Once she realized what she had to say, Rhonda listened intently.

The collars again. Those little metal loops that played their purpose of reminding everyone that they were probably going to die here. Rhonda hated them, obviously, which was why she hung on to every word out of Marion's mouth. Suddenly she was paying much less attention to the corpse disposal job at hand, because this was much more interesting.

"Shit, someone's actually tried fire before?" She asked, running a finger along her own collar to see if she could feel any of the little mechanisms that Marion mentioned. "So what you're saying is, if we kill these things, they can't track us or watch us?" Her eyes drifted over to a mounted camera nearby. "Or at least not track us through our POV? If you've got a plan, I'm down for it. I can make myself useful, trust me."
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Lifting Jasper from under his arms, Nadine could immediately tell she'd taken the wrong side of Jasper's body. He was heavy, for starters; she was probably half his weight, if she had to guess, and it was just about all she could do to keep her half of him off the floor. His torso was also slick with blood that hadn't quite had the time to dry yet. She could feel it seeping into her shirt as his head rolled against her abdomen. Worst of all, though, was that she was carrying a corpse, someone who'd been alive mere minutes ago. Getting him into the ship couldn't happen soon enough.

Marion's info proved a bit less helpful than Nadine had hoped; it was largely a more-detailed rehash of things they'd been told before they got dropped onto the ships, mixed with things that had seemed like safe assumptions already. About what she'd expected, given that the information was from Marion's mentor, who had nothing to gain from helping their escape attempt. The most credit she could give him was for taking fire off the list of things she was willing to try.

Still, it at least seemed to get the new girl into it.

"Planning is still in the early stages, if we're being honest. Maybe a discussion for when we're done with, y'know," she nodded down at Jasper, doing her best not to look too closely.

"Y'all should lead. I'll try not to drop him."

(Nadine Flores continued in First The Sirens, Then The Lights...)
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi