The SotF Honorary Interim Song Contest #14

this edition sponsored by da share z0ne

SOTF's own Eurovision-style song contest. Submit songs that fit the theme and get mercilessly judged on your taste in music here.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

welcome one and all to the moment you've all been waiting for, probably, idk, i know i've been waiting for it but it's not like my experiences are universal, but i hope you're excited anyways because it's da mutherfukken

FINAL RESULTS ON THE 14th SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST HONORARY INTERIM SONG CONTEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that text should be centered and large but i don't feel like digging up the bbcode so y'all can deal; let's get right into it

our skulltestants were
ares
brackie
cicada
deamon
dmboogie
dodd
fenris
jilly
kermit
kotori
mara
MK KILMARNOCK
ohm
paige
pip
rugga
skraal
shiola, shiola
yugi
zee

and the songs were

Battlefield
Spaceship
The Big Sleep
Act 1 Skeleton Jack
Ode to Billie Joe
Warlord
Pepper
Every Day is Halloween
Square Hammer
Welcome to the Black Parade
When He Died
Little Piece of Heaven
Skulls
Kill Yourself Part III
Deep Forest
Samson
The Man Comes Around
No Eyed Girl
Choke
Ready to Die

with the infodumping is done: a disqualification

DQ: Ready to Die, submitted by Cicada. The song received 61 points, including one 10 and one 8.

πŸ’€: "TBH the title and content are very self explanatory but to reiterate: this song is very empathically about killing the listener which is pretty :skull:, one could further argue it's so tonally metal which is a further :skull: point, so on."

now for the meat, which has no real place here because of all the skeletons, but skeletons are cool, and being exclusionary is not cool, so the meat can stay to be viewed by the masses

19th place: No Eyed Girl, submitted by Zee. The song received 2 points.
πŸ’€: "I'm submitting this as my songtest pick because it's from an album dedicated to the spook, and because you can imagine some little dancing skeletons in the background if you like. Also the cover reminds me of this picture:

18th place: When He Died, submitted by Kermit. The song received 16 points.
πŸ’€: "When he :skull: died :skull:
Turns out he left behind
A mansion full of other people's :skull: skulls :skull:
Odd thing is they never found his :question: :skull: own :skull: :question:
When he :skull: died :skull:

He somehow left behind
:currency_exchange: Strange symbols :currency_exchange: on the floor beneath his :skull: corpse :skull:
Investigators said the wood was :fire: scorched :fire:

They found so many scorpions inside his :scorpion: :scorpion: :scorpion: lungs :scorpion: :scorpion: :scorpion:
The statues of his :cry: missing children cried :cry:
What was later found to be his :100: blood :100:
When he :skull: died :skull: (:thunder_cloud_rain: On a dark and stormy night:thunder_cloud_rain:)
:telephone_receiver: :woman: They telephoned his wife :woman: :telephone_receiver: (:joy: Who reacted with delight :joy: )
:skull: But gradually her voice began to fade to nothing :skull:
:minidisc: and the laughing record played :minidisc:
:joy: :minidisc: The laughing record played :minidisc: :joy:

They found a :envelope: message etched into his spine :envelope:
That said when he :skull: died :skull:
An :frog: endless age of untold nightmares :frog: would be nigh
:red_circle: :ocean: And the blood would make the seas run red :ocean: :red_circle:

When he :skull: died :skull: (:thunder_cloud_rain: On a dark and stormy night :thunder_cloud_rain:)
:house_abandoned: A nearby shed caught fire :house_abandoned: (:fire: It simply caught alight :fire:)
And when they cleared the charred wood from the ground
Inside they found a painting of a clown (:clown: :clown: A creepy painting of a clown :clown: :clown:)
:art: :boy: He'd painted it when he was just a child :boy: :art:
But scrawled upon the back was exactly when he :skull: died :skull:
When he :skull: died :skull:, when he :skull: died :skull:, when he :skull: died :skull:, when he :skull: died :skull:"

17th place: Deep Forest, submitted by Jilly Shears. The song received 16 points, including one public 10.
πŸ’€: "I could write you a TED Talk on why it's relevant in both lyrics and also situationally relevant with the rumor that the lead singer's boyfriend died around the same time it was recorded and was dedicated to him but I also just wanna submit an anime song"

16th place: Kill Yourself Part III, submitted by Deamon. The song received 37 points, including one 10.
πŸ’€: β€œ:skull::skull::skull::gun:”

15th place: Ode to Billie Joe, submitted by Exprexx Plush. The song received 45 points, including a public 12 and public 8.
πŸ’€: "Ode To Billie Joe is a song about death mystery and unspoken regret so captivating that it was like at least top 20 on every single chart that had music with vocals when it came out and drove people so mad with curiosity about its true meaning that its considered a legendary piece of short southern fiction even outside its musical achievements and if that doesn't embody three ominous skullmojis i dunno what does"

14th place: Samson, submitted by Mara. The song received 46 points, including one 12.
πŸ’€: "The song's believed to be from the perspective of a lover whose partner is dying from cancer, and the vocals honestly are really good at conveying that for me, as if she's mourning in advance almost."

13th place: Little Piece of Heaven, submitted by Skraal. The song received 49 points, including three 10's.
πŸ’€: "Corpses and skulls out the wazoo here"

12th place: Skulls, submitted by Pippin. The song received 54 points, including one 12 and one 8.
πŸ’€: " it's literally called skulls and also because it's a good song and also it features the main vocalist saying they're still gonna be in love even when they're spooky scary skeletons"

11th place: Warlord, submitted by MK KILMARNOCK. The song received 54 points, including three 10's.
πŸ’€: "Because he throws skulls at you, bitch. He's a fucking skeleton. The boss skeleton."

to be continued in the next post! as a reminder, here's the songs still in the running:

Battlefield
Spaceship
The Big Sleep
Act 1 Skeleton Jack
Pepper
Every Day is Halloween
Square Hammer
Welcome to the Black Parade
The Man Comes Around
Choke
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

been a little while but i'm still battling

and prattling

and rattling

my bones

10th place: Spaceship, submitted by Brackie. The song received 56 points, including one 12, one 10, two 8's, and one public 12.
πŸ’€: "skulls are a symbol of death, and this song is all about finding closure after death. alternate reasoning: the skull in the emoji is not of a human, but an alien. this song is about Kesha flying off into space because she's an alien."

9th place: Every Day is Halloween, submitted by Ruggahissy. The song received 60 points, including one 12, one 8, and one public 8.
πŸ’€: "I think this song is fit for your skull friends because skellymen are a very important part of Halloween and Halloween embraces them for being spooky; there are more skulls on display during Halloween than during any other time of the year."

8th place: Choke, submitted by Kotorikun. The song received 62 points, including one 12, one 10, and one 8.
πŸ’€: "me @ my enemies in the skeleton war"

7th place: Welcome to the Black Parade, submitted by Ares. The song received 68.5 points, including one 10 and two 8's.
πŸ’€: "I chose this song because the first band on my playlist that I thought of when you put the skulls was Black Parade era My Chemical Romance. I saw them live during the tour for this album and the show was awesome, in part due to the costumes with the skull face paint effect."

6th place: Battlefield, submitted by Fenris. The song received 72 points, including one 12, two 10's, and an 8.
πŸ’€: "PRESS Z AND PREPARE FOR AGONY"

hoo boy. 5 songs left. here's a refresher:

The Big Sleep
Act 1 Skeleton Jack
Pepper
Square Hammer
The Man Comes Around

and just for fun, here's the people still in contention:

Shiola
me!
yugikun
ohm
dodd
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

preamble

5th place: Pepper, submitted by Ohm. The song received 79.5 points, including three 12's and a 10.
πŸ’€: "It’s mostly about death. Actual deaths or close brushes with it that invigorates the different characters in the verses"

4th place: The Big Sleep, submitted by your gracious and tireless host. The song received 81.5 points, including one 12, two 10's, two 8's, and one public 10.
πŸ’€: "it's about a man on death row, lotsa good death imagery here"

3rd place: Act 1 Skeleton Jack, submitted by Shiola. The song received 92.5 songs, including five 12's.
πŸ’€: "It's about a man who steals a crown from Satan and is cursed to remain a skeleton for eternity. The chorus includes the phrase "rattle my bones.""

SO THE FINALS ARE DOWN TO!!!!!!!!

THE MAN COMES AROUND
SQUARE HAMMER

AND YOUR FINAL CONTESTANT ARE!!!!!!!

YUGI
DODD
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

THE WINNER

OF

THE SKULLTEST

IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dot

skull emoji
YUGIKUN, WITH SQUARE HAMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
congrats, my dude. Your song received 111 points, including three 12's and a whopping six 8's.
:skull: "for my one sentence thing, I feel like this fits the theme of the songtest because it is a song primarily about death and satanism and the rise of the antichrist and stuff (as well as what most of the band's discography) and also the lead singer of the band dresses up like a skeleton 24/7"

congratulations are also due for the honorable runner up, Dodd, with his submission of The Man Comes Around, which received 97 points, including one 12, three 10's, and two 8's.
:skull: "I think the reasoning should be self-explanatory but I'll come up with something if you really need me to."

floors yours yugi, unless you wanna abdicate
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

stats for the stats nerds like me

this is my last act as host. thank you for playing. goodnight.
[+] semi one
[+] semi one public
[+] semi two
[+] semi two public
[+] final
[+] final public

Return to β€œSong Contests”