A New World Fool

Open.

Named for all the captains who safely found their way to the island thanks to the lighthouse’s beacon, these cliffs are the highest on the island, the only nod towards safety from the jagged rocks below coming in the form of a naval-high chain link fence.
Espi

A New World Fool

Post by Espi »

((Theodore Fletcher's story continues from I'll Face Myself))

Theo gazed out to sea whilst eating a nutrient bar.

He was fucking hungry, having been running for so long and so frequently. He may have been a good runner, but he still needed to catch up on eating. So he sat about 15 feet from the railing, slowly working through a nutrient bar and sipping a water bottle. He wondered if it was Gabby's.

"My god."

He spoke aloud.

"I just murdered someone." He chuckled, and began laughing suddenly. He was perfectly aware he was alone, but he knew people were watching, so it wasn't that weird, right? "I gunned down Gabby Parker, and for that matter Hansel Williams. I just fucking shot them and now they're dead. I know tons of people have had to deal with this feeling, but either way it's so surreal." He stared at the ocean more. It was beautiful; the sun was just starting to go down, and it was casting brilliant light over the waves.

"I'm a horrible person." A pause. "But I want to live. I don't want to be Gabby or Hansel. I don't want to be another statistic. If I'm the winner, I live, and I get to move on past this." he gazed at his hands. "If I die, it's all for nothing. My life, my family, Gabby and Hansel, all a waste."

He needed to win.

But could he?

He was already being crushed by the guilt; every few seconds the memory of Gabby screaming as he shot her again and again and again and again rippled through his mind's eye and he wanted to scream. It was so horrible what he'd done. Oddly he was less guilty about Hansel; maybe because it was more of an accident, and he hadn't physically seen him die? Who knows.

"And for the record, I'm sorry for what I did." He looked out again, at the brilliant sea. "My condolences to the families, but I have no other choices. It's too late to back out, I have to win." He sniffled a bit.

Theo kept eating, silent now.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

(Dan Liu continued from Sup Nerds?)

It had been a few hours since Dan had left the docks. His quick pace upon leaving had now been replaced by a slower, relaxed, one. Regardless of the circumstances, Dan did have to admit it was pretty nice out. Not too hot or cold. No crazy women bickering with one another.

It was nice.

The rested in his right hand with a bottle of water in his left. He was rather surprised that he hadn't met anyone else on the road as he made his way north. He wasn't sure why he had picked that way, but it seemed as well as any other. But it was nice and peaceful, ignoring the buildings that looked like they would crumble away into the ocean any minute, of course.

He could see there was a lighthouse nearby. He's probably check that out a bit. But from what he could tell, there was a nice view of the ocean here. May as well find out if the ocean looked the same everywhere or if this one was different from the coast of Washington.

He got closer to the edge. Tall cliffs, there were some rocks at the bottom. Not the place to go swimming, that was for sure.

He looked down a ways. There was someone else here. It was hard to tell from this distance though. He started into a light jog to get closer, before seeing it was only Theo eating one of the food bars. Theo was smart though, Dan still couldn't remember who he'd been trying to remember earlier, but Theo seemed like a pretty good bet.

"The bars are shit aren't they?" Dan asked with a sly grin.
Espi

Post by Espi »

Oh shit.

Theo whipped around, facing some guy named Dan. He didn't know him well, but his approach scared Theo. Theo wasn't sure if Dan was a good guy or was likely to attack him. That made Theo nervous; if someone else was to attack him, he might end up dead.

Theo didn't want to die.

"Fuck off, I'm eating." He glared at the other boy.

An angry, irritable response would likely push the other guy away. That was important; he didn't want to be threatened, and he certainly didn't want to fight. He needed to process Gabby, still.

"What do you even want?"
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Geez freakin' everyone was in a bad mood today.

Sure, Dan wasn't buddies with Theo or anything but he thought that he'd at least get a nicer greeting than that. "Geez man, it's like, shit, it's not like I'm ruining the flavor of it by being here, right?" A bit of annoyance had crept into Dan's voice. Why couldn't everyone just chill out instead of getting mad all the time.

"But no, I'm not just givin' you shit." No, he wasn't wasting Theo's time, he had a good plan and he was sticking with it, Kaitlyn and Alda would just have to deal with it when it worked.

"Like, we need to get together the smart kids and work our way out of this shit." Dan didn't mention that he didn't know how he'd help there, but Theo couldn't be pissed now that he had heard the pitch. It wasn't like Dan wanted to use Theo's blood as paint or some weird shit like that. He wanted to help.
Espi

Post by Espi »

Theo was weirded out now. Did Dan think he was going to magically solve the problems by getting "smart" people together? It didn't make a lot of sense. Besides, Theo wasn't going to be rescued even if people came. He'd murdered two people. Nobody would trust him by tomorrow when they heard his name.

Theo pulled his handgun out from his pocket (he'd reloaded it a few minutes ago), got onto his knees and stood up, leveling the gun at Dan. He didn't intend to shoot; he might be able to kill Dan, but the idea made him uncomfortable.

He wasn't sure why. Logically, he'd have murdered three people in one day, and he'd become a target when he really wanted to keep under the radar.

"Leave me alone."

Simple, quick, to the point and with strong threats behind it. Theo was sure Dan would just walk off after this. If Dan attacked, Theo thought he might pull the trigger, shoot the other boy.

But he wasn't sure.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Wow, Theo was just not having any of it. Seriously, if he just waited and thought it over it'd be all cool, why couldn't he see that?

That line of thinking, or any thinking at all, was gone when the gun came out. The next moment Dan had rushed forward swinging his bat at Theo's arm. He could get there in time. He wasn't a sprinter for nothing, he could move fast for a reason to.

After all, this was a time to sprint if there ever was one.

If he could knock the gun away he could knock some sense into Theo. The kid needed some.
Espi

Post by Espi »

((God-modding of Dan Liu is approved by his handler Bacon))

Ah!

No!

Theo felt a hard object slam into his shoulder, not only startling him but knocking him to the ground and sending the gun spinning away, dangerously close to going out of his reach. His left arm hurt, but he was too scared to notice.

What if he got hit again?

Again?

Again?

Would he just splatter against the ground, bloody and dead and starting to rot, his life wasted in fear and pain and murder and death? Would he never matter again but as a statistic, someone people felt bad for but quickly forgot? Would he matter? Or be...worthless? Nothing but cannon fodder, doomed at the start?

No.

Theo kicked out towards Dan, and felt his shoe slam the other boy in the ankle. He used this slight push to grab out, take the gun into his hand, and he rolled over and opened fire with 3 shots. He wasn't thinking of his plan at this point; he didn't care if Dan died now, he wanted to live and Dan might have endangered that, at least to Theo.

He needed to keep alive.

Even if it meant killing?

Apparently.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Dan inwardly cheered as the gun flew out of Theo's hand. Mission accomp-urk, he stumbled, losing his balance when fucking Theo kicked him in the ankle. His legs were now splayed wide as he tried to catch his balance.

Theo had the gun again.

Dan didn't even have time to swear as Theo opened fire, one of the shots hitting his left hand, the water bottle that had still miraculously been held in it flying away.

A scream left him as he sank to his knees. Blood was gushing everywhere. And and and his ring and the the middle fingers. They were gone.

"Fu-fuck," Dan let out as he looked up trying to find Theo again.
Espi

Post by Espi »

Theo saw blood.

Dan bled, his hand broken and there were too few fingers and they lay splattered a few feet away.

Theo wanted to run.

He desperately wanted to walk away, but it was too late now.

He stepped back, he was only five or so feet from Dan, and he leveled the gun, and The opened fire again, three more shots towards the other boy.

Warning shots?

Murder shots.

Theo didn't know why he did it, but he gunned down his third person that day, his third kill, a third person lying dead on the ground, life gone. He watched the bullets fly and waited for Dan to die.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Dan's eyes found Theo just before the gun went off again. His other hand finally dropped the bat. He finally collapsed on the ground as it felt like his chest was caving in and his throat was spilling his life into the ground.

Theo had shot him. He didn't get that. Why would Theo do that? Dan had had a good plan and everything!

He felt cold and sleepy. He had never thought dying would feel like sleep, although he hadn't pondered the thought much at all.

Part of him wished he could get up and throw Theo over the cliffs, but another part just said that he wished he hadn't come across Theo at all. He couldn't decide though, that took too much effort as he felt like he was just sliding away.

Away, into the black.

B061: Dan Liu: DECEASED
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

((Madeline Wilcox continued from The Game Begins))

Maddie had walked quite a distance. She had no idea where she was really going, she seemed to be aimlessly wandering without thinking too much about it. She was just going somewhere. She began considering looking at the map and trying to find someplace to hide out while everything went down when she heard the sound of a gunshot and froze. She quickly dove into a nearby bush and began panicking. Where did the gunshot come from? Who was it directed at? Was it directed at her?

She had better figure out what was happening, and quickly. She peered out of the bush in the general direction that she heard the gunshots, to quickly see a boy standing over another boy who was on his knees a good distance away. The boy standing up was pointing a gun at the other boy. A few more shots rang out, and the boy on his knees fell to the ground, presumably dead. That boy... that boy was a murderer. She couldn't quite make out the look on his face, but she doubted it was one of remorse. What was she going to do? She was about 50 feet from a murderer, hiding in a bush. She began to quickly run through what she could do in her head.

She could keep hiding in the bush. But, he might have already seen her, and if he did, there would be nothing stopping him from getting closer, and if he got close enough, there would be little stopping him from killing her. So didn't want to take the chance.

She could run. But, running would reveal that she knew he was there very quickly, and he would likely shoot at her. Hitting a moving target may be difficult, but there was always a chance he could hit her, and she didn't feel like dying.

She could fight. But, fighting could easily end in her demise as well as running or hiding. She doubted her ability to hit anything with the gun-knife, especially with how it is muzzle loaded and can only fire off one at a time. For that guy though, accuracy probably mattered less. She heard the shots go off in quick succession, so this guy could easily just fire a ton of rounds in her direction and hope he hits. Plus, that guy just murdered someone; he definitely had the psychological advantage.

She couldn't just sit back and do nothing though, she has to do something. Perhaps she could scare him, fire off a shot and then run, let him know she can defend herself but ultimately doesn't want to fight. It was still risky, but it sounded better to her than any other plan she came up with. She pulled one of the musket ball looking bullets out of the bag and placed it in the muzzle of the gun-knife. She wasn't sure how this thing worked exactly, from a bit of testing she did earlier she just knew that it didn't appear to need gunpowder loaded into it, despite firing what seemed to be musket balls.

She leveled the gun-knife in the boy's direction. She didn't care if she hit him, he probably deserved it, considering he killed someone. But... what if she killed him? Maddie pushed that thought away. Right now was about survival, she could worry about whether or not she became a murderer herself after she got away from here. She pulled the trigger on the gun, feeling it kick back against her and emit a very loud pop. With ears ringing from the sound of the gun-knife firing she jumped out of the bush and began running diagonally away from the boy, not even looking back to see if she hit him or not.
THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU. READ ABOUT THEM AND PREPARE YOURSELF.
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson
Pregame: -#->
Memory: -#-#->
Prom: -#->
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-|

Richard Smith
Memory: ->
V7: -#-#-#-#-|

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
Pregame: -#-#->
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-|
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:
G013: Penelope Fitzgerald
G046: Isabel Ramirez

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
Image G005: Madeline Wilcox
Image G030: Sara Corlett
Espi

Post by Espi »

Theo stared at Dan, shocked. He wasn't sure why he'd killed the boy; it wasn't to put him out of his misery for the hand, that was for sure. That was no excuse, he'd inflicted that wound himself. It wasn't really out of malice, though; he experienced no pleasure from this, only the aching feeling he'd made a tactical error.

No, it had likely been a split-second reaction, a panicked response to the fear of death, albeit likely an imagined one. Theo had not been in danger, but his reaction had been extreme. He hadn't wanted to kill again, but clearly he had. Now he gazed down at the corpse, his hand sore from the recoil now that he had a moment of calm.

Theo stooped, gently taking the baseball bat from next to the boy's corpse. Upon closer inspection, now that he wasn't so freaked out, Theo realized it was Dan Liu, and felt an anchor drop into his intestines. He'd killed someone that, while he wasn't friends with, he actually knew personally. Dan was on track with Theo, and though they were not close by any means, Theo was suddenly ashamed of murdering a fellow athlete of his field.

"Sorry." That was all he could say. He walked over to his bag, picked it up and stuffed the bat into it before swiftly closing it up. Shoving his gun into his front pocket, Theo turned to leave the body of someone who could've, should've, almost was a friend in a time when friends were going to be very, very scarce indeed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A gunshot went off.

Theo felt something hit his bag, then his chest. He felt a moment of fear as a burning sensation touched him, but as he touched the wound he realized it was only a burn from the heat of what appeared to be a bullet lodged in his shirt just short of actually piercing his flesh and ending his life.

He looked up. A girl, running away from him in the distance, what looked like a strange gun in her hand. He fumbled for his handgun, pulling it and firing a shot into the air, and winced as the recoil numbed his hands. He called out, "Stop! I'll shoot again!" his voice cracking with the last line. He genuinely didn't want to shoot four people on the first day, so hopefully she'd obey.

If she did, though...then what? Rob her, take her weapon or supplies and ruin her chances almost as bad as straight-up murdering her? was that appropriate?

Theo wasn't sure.

He'd need to think about it.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Maddie heard the sound of a gun going off. She shrieked. He was shooting at her. The crazy bastard was shooting at her. She heard him shout something that she couldn't quite make out due to her hearing being dulled by the recent firing of a gun and over the air rushing by her ears, but it didn't matter, it was probably just a death threat or something similar anyway. She kept running. She ran as fast as her legs could possibly carry her. It was hard, running this quickly for so long. She was already panting from running, curse her lack of exercise! She wouldn't be surprised if the crazy bastard was chasing her already, eager for another kill. She couldn't let that happen. She couldn't wind up just another statistic, just another victim of the terrorist's twisted game. She had to live, she had to go home.

She had to break line of sight, make it harder for him to chase her. She desperately look around for someplace to run, a building, or some trees, but the closest thing that she could really run to besides the lighthouse was some trees presumably leading back to the big forest at the center of the island, but they were still at least a good 200 feet away. She had to try though, it was her only chance. She made a beeline for the trees, fueled by an energy that she had never quite felt before, presumably it was tons of adrenaline from the fight or flight response her body was no doubt going through. She needed to discourage pursuit, certainly this guy didn't want to die just as much as she did. She fumbled around with the gun-knife, clumsily placing a musket ball into the muzzle. With one arm she pointed it behind her in the general direction that she thought the guy was and fired.

The loud pop from the gun deafened her for a moment, probably damaging her hearing even more, and the recoil almost knocked the gun-knife our of her grasp, but she managed to barely retain hold of it. She had no idea if where she fired was anywhere close to the boy. She really didn't have any idea where the boy was, he could be chasing her, he could have decided she wasn't worth the trouble and stayed where he was, hell, he could have fired his gun more and she might not have been able to hear the shots. She couldn't really crane her head around to check either, she was too busy running for her life to try and twist her head around.

Maddie progressively got closer and closer to the treeline, her legs getting more and more tired and her breathing getting heavier and heavier as she ran. As she closer and closer to the treeline, she began to think more and more she would be able to ultimately avoid pursuit.
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
Pregame: -#-#->
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-|
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:
G013: Penelope Fitzgerald
G046: Isabel Ramirez

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
Image G005: Madeline Wilcox
Image G030: Sara Corlett
Espi

Post by Espi »

Or she'd keep running and shoot back at him. The shot was incredibly wide to the right, but the fact that she was armed made Theo concerned. He hadn't had to straight-up gunfight with someone yet, he'd always had the advantage. He wasn't sure if he could win a fair fight. Certainly he'd need to be careful.

Theo watched the girl, who he was pretty sure was Maddie Wilcox, race away. He wasn't about to chase her, though; that would only serve to put him at risk, and that would be really really dumb. Instead, he just...stood and stared after Maddie, and realizing that for her, like for everyone, she'd either win or she'd die.

Theo knew that applied to him. He wanted to win, though. He wasn't going to be a statistic, who died meaninglessly, he wanted to live.

Apparently at all costs.

Theo sighed and sat down next to his bag, about 20 feet from Dan's...body. He needed a breather; his hands hurt, his head hurt, and he was really exhausted. He watched from afar as Maddie Wilcox continued fleeing for her life.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Maddie ran straight into the treeline and ducked behind one of the front-most trees. She breathed hard and quickly, both due to panic and exhaustion, and her legs felt like gelatin after all that running. Was the boy following her? She peered gingerly around the tree and saw him as a dot nearby the edge of the cliffs. He hadn't even moved since she had started running. That was a relief, certainly. She turned back away from him and began moving further into the trees until she lost sight of the boy entirely. She breathed a sigh of relief, her breathing having already returned to normal by this time, and sat down next to a tree. She remembered that before that whole mess started, she was considering opening her map and finding a place to hide out temporarily.

She opened her bag and took out the map of the island. It took her a moment to figure out her location, evidently, through her wandering, she had found herself at the lighthouse point, as shown by the lighthouse that she could still barely make out through the trees. So, the nearest area that would sound like a good place to hide would be the homestead. She sat up and pulled the compass out of her bag. Instead of just wandering about, she needed to actually navigate in order to reach the homestead and there were no real features around to clue her into where she was going. She turned until the compass told her that she was facing the homestead. Eyeballing the map, she estimated that the distance from here to the homestead was about two miles or so.

She sighed, she had already walked a really long distance today, she wasn't really in the mood to walk even more, but this was her survival and safety on the line. She had to keep going to keep herself safe. She placed her gun-knife in her bag and zipped it up. She slung the bag over her shoulder. Hopefully it won't be late by the time she got there, as it was going to take her about an hour or so to walk that distance. With the map in one hand and the compass in the other hand, she started walking in the direction of the homestead.

((Madeline Wilcox continued in Setting Up Base Camp))
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson