In This Thread A Timeskip Happens

Feeding the lake is a stream running down from somewhere high in the mountains surrounding the valley. It winds back and forth up the steep slopes, and without proper equipment, most people would have a very difficult time following it for long. In some places, it narrows down to barely more than a trickle, in others, it widens to the point it could almost be considered a river (albeit a shallow one). It proceeds in a vaguely north-easterly direction, but follow the stream far enough, and you will encounter a particularly abrupt upswing in the trail's steepness, and a simple, stark sign warning not to proceed any further, or be fired upon.
CondorTalon

In This Thread A Timeskip Happens

Post by CondorTalon »

((Shawn Bowe-Crooke continued from 100.9°.))

They'd been wandering for quite a while.

They had slowed down only after the were far from the town, and since then they'd been wandering around the valley, laying low. Shawn didn't want to run into anyone else, after what just happened. He tried to justify it as protecting themselves. But then a part of his mind thought that maybe he was protecting others... from them.

They hadn't slept.

Shawn only realized it was the next day when he heard the loudspeaker crackling. The announcement that followed was a striking contrast from the previous one, in terms of tone. He wanted to listen carefully this time. He was looking for a particular name.

Robin's name wasn't on the announcements, but there were a few others that did catch his attention.

Becky had killed someone. He didn't know why that would happen. Did she try to fight someone else and take it too far? Did she do it in self-defense? Or... was it murder? He wasn't even angry. He was too tired for that.

Yumi... Yumi died. Damn. Maybe letting her go wasn't such a good idea after all.

The wind was picking up.

There was a meaninglessness to the whole trip. They didn't have anywhere to go, but it... it was better than standing still. So they kept moving.

Eventually they came to the stream. They'd been walking for a while, so he turned to Robin, walking behind him.

"How are you... holding up?" he asked.
MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MurderWeasel »

((Robin Pounds continued from 100.9°))

They traveled for some time. Robin lost track of it. Her cold was getting worse, of that she was almost positive. The chills came and went. Sometimes, for a few minutes, she'd feel like she was burning up and would sweat a lot, soaking her dress. She wanted to take the jacket off in these times, wanted to pour cool water on her forehead and slip into something lighter, but she didn't have any lighter clothes and it was never long before the cold came back, reminding her just what an awful idea getting her clothes wet would be as the sweat chilled her even more. Her nose clogged up so badly that for a few hours she didn't even try to clear it, just breathing through her mouth instead. Her lips got dry and a bit flaky and sore, and she wished for her chapstick.

She mostly didn't think about how she'd beaten Zora's brains in with a brick. It was easier when it didn't come up on the morning announcements. Apparently they were going to cut her a bit of slack, or maybe someone had forgotten to pass a note at the right time or something. Shawn didn't ask why the dead girl hadn't been named, so it was all okay. The status quo was undisturbed, a situation Robin was happy to leave alone.

Her body was aching pretty badly. Her arms especially were sore, feeling like she'd been working out all day. She'd never felt like this before. The closest had been after really vigorous days of tennis, when she'd just gone home and rolled into bed and waited it out. Sometimes she'd take an ibuprofen and let that take the edge off. She thought there were some pills in the first aid kit, but hadn't gotten around to raiding it.

They hadn't really gotten to rest or sleep, hadn't gotten the shelter Robin wanted so badly. Her nail was still stinging. It was trying to remind her what had happened, but she was mostly able to ignore that. She drank a lot of water, which kept the dehydration from getting too severe. She had no appetite at all.

The wind was getting worse again when they came to the stream. Robin had fallen into a bit of a trance, walking and spacing out, her feet moving on their own. It was probably the only thing keeping her upright, because as soon as Shawn spoke, the fatigue washed over her and made her want nothing more than to sit down.

"I'm okay," she said. "I'm fine. How're you?"

She truly was fine, too, because Shawn hadn't left her. It had all worked out. She'd been right, and her quick and decisive action had stopped Zora from tearing them apart. And so, even though she wasn't anywhere with shelter, even though she hadn't slept in so long her eyelids kept fluttering closed, even though it was evening again and people were dead all around, she was fine because Shawn was still hers.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

"Fine," was his reply.

It wasn't entirely truthful, though.

He was far from fine. He was getting more and more uncomfortable in this situation. With Robin having (possibly?) killed someone, he was even more on edge, and he became less and less willing to stay. The problem with that idea was that leaving Robin by herself still left a bad taste in his mouth. The reasonable part of his mind was screaming to leave, but he couldn't. There was no reason that he should leave. No, it was fine.

He need to sit down. He walked to the edge of the stream, and planted himself on bank, watching the water flow. He didn't really move much.

He didn't make a sound, either.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Shawn said he was fine, so that meant everything was okay. Robin didn't completely believe that he was doing alright, but that was more down to the situation than anything else. He had to be tired, just like she was. He sat on the edge of the stream, staring into the water. Robin followed and sat a few feet from him, shivering a little and sniffling occasionally.

She stared into the water, watching the ripples and swirls. They held a sort of hypnotic power, shifting and suggesting patterns to her, flowers and checkerboards, though nothing clear enough to be totally concrete. Despite the motion of the water, the patterns stayed relatively static, repeating themselves in short cycles. She wondered what caused them. Her science classes had touched on things like this, but never in any real detail.

Robin wasn't really sure how long she'd been staring. She wasn't paying attention to much around her, lost in thought enough to momentarily lose track of Shawn and the Program and everything else, when a voice cut through the air, coming from all around. She shook herself out of her stupor to listen to the announcements, even though she didn't really have that much interest in what the Brigadier-General was saying.

The names slid by her, not meaning much of anything to her anymore, until her own name was called. It was unexpected, and Robin lost track of the rest of the announcement entirely. She was too distracted. She was still staring, but now at Shawn. He was going to react, just like every other time things had gotten awkward, and Robin wanted to be ready.

She'd thought she was in the clear. Apparently not.
jimmydalad

Post by jimmydalad »

((Bailey Williams continued from Moment of Revelation))

She aimed to move as quietly as possible. For this endeavor, Bailey Williams forwent shoes. Her sling did help keep her right arm still. It still stung like a bitch, but she shrugged the pain. There were more important things to do right now. After all, she needed to act as the only semblance of justice in this game.

She had to be right. She watched her friend die. She couldn't stand to see that happen again. She was practically alone from now on. She could possibly form alliances with others, but they could only last for moments. After all, they could just stab her in the back when she least expected it. If it weren't for her gun, she would be completely defenseless. Bailey couldn't let that happen.

Avoiding danger zones, Bailey eventually found herself at a stream. While it was appealing to move to the open and towards the water, she instead kept to the trees, using the foliage to keep herself hidden and out of sight at potential assailants. As she wondered in the trees, she came across the sight of two classmates. Shawn and more importantly, Robin.

She was one of them.

She was still, looking at Shawn with a worried expression. Evidently, something was up. She had a feeling it wasn't something good. Maybe she didn't expect her name in the announcements. No, that can't be right. She had killed more than once. She knew that her name was called out whenever she committed a murder. Was that even possible?

No matter.

Bailey stayed in the trees, getting out her gun and preparing it. She had to be ready to shoot. Hopefully, it would hit her mark.
[+] The Program V2
Characters
Image (Minus accessories)
M09: Maxim Senders - "The stars are so pretty tonight. Shame you can barely see them." - Status: DEAD
Weapon: Civil War Bayonet Gun
Pregame/Sandbox: o -> o -> o -> o -> o
Program V2: o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o

F10: Bailey Williams - "Don't you fucking move." - Status: DEAD
Weapon: Philadelphia Derringer
Pregame/Sandbox: o
[+] TV V2
Erik Sheely - The Quiet Cheerleader
Sandbox: o
TV V2: o

Saachi Nidal - The Valedictorian who hates SOTF
TV V2: o -> o
[+] Second Chances
Character Planning Thread

Aria Samuels - Quiet, Paranoid and Independent
Weapon - Trumpet
Memories - o
Pregame - o
Game - o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o

Saachi Nidal - Confident, Aggressive and Regal
Weapon - Meat Cleaver
Game - o -> o ->o -> o -> o -> o -> o
-> o ->o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o
[+] SOTF International
Jen Mara Tuiqamea - Adopted from Cicada
Game - o
[+] Artsy Stuff That People Have Done
[+] Maxim Senders by Mimi
[+] Bailey Williams by Medic
[+] Saachi Nidal TV2 by Yugi
[+] Saachi Nidal Second Chances
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

The announcements had only confirmed what Shawn had suspected all along.

Robin was in fact, the killer. And he found out the name of the victim, as well. Zora Spencer, not someone he was particularly close to... not like it mattered anymore. Shawn had always had that doubt in the back of his mind, but now that the Brigadier-General had confirmed it, well...

He wanted to yell. He wanted to yell but he couldn't. That wasn't... It wasn't...

"You know..." he started.

He paused, trying to choose the right words.

"When I saw you on the mountains, you looked pretty helpless. You were sitting alone, shivering and shit. When I learned you were sick, well, I wanted to help. That's... I guess that's my... my personality, I think. I want to protect people."

He stood up, and turned to Robin.

"When you pushed Emily off the cliff, I... believed you when you said it was an accident. I didn't want to think something like that... that you could have done that on purpose."

His words were shaky, and he felt like his emotions were about to all spew forth.

"Was Zora an 'accident' too?!" he suddenly yelled, emphasizing the word accident.

He closed his eyes, and took a few deep breaths. He opened them again.

"You tell me what's going to happen now. You tell me how you're going to fix this."
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

As Shawn talked, Robin sat and stared and listened. She tried to wrap her head around his words, to make sense of them and what they meant for her and for their future. She was waiting for him to say a few key things. She was waiting for him to say they were done. It was coming, she thought, and soon, and the idea made her more angry than she'd expected. It brought her some focus, even through the aching in her head and the shivers that still wracked her body. She kept her fists from clenching only by assuring herself that she could be wrong, that maybe Shawn wasn't going to ditch her after all.

And, as if by a miracle, her assurances were right. Shawn didn't say he was going to ditch her, and that meant he wasn't going to, at least not right away. Instead, he asked her to tell him how she would set things right, but what he was really asking was for Robin to talk him into staying with her. He was asking her to supply the excuses and justifications, because in the end he cared about her just like she cared about him, and so she didn't worry too much and just said what came naturally. Her anger was gone, now, and her voice was a little ragged.

"It wasn't an accident," she said. "It... she was going to attack me. Zora called me over and asked for help and then I got there and she said she'd tricked me, and she was going to kill me because of what happened to Emily. She said Emily was her friend. She tried to hit me with a brick, but she missed and dropped it and I grabbed it and hit her back. I was so scared, and I just kept hitting her to make her stop. She was trying to kill me, and I just want to be safe. I don't want any of this, and when.. when you're here, nothing goes wrong. You keep people from misunderstanding, but when I'm alone they all think I did it all because I want to."

She sniffled a little as she told this story. It was a somewhat halting process, in part because her throat was really killing her and in part because she was making everything up on the spot, the ideas flitting straight through her head and to her mouth. She was pretty sure Shawn would take it, unless maybe he and Zora had been close enough for him to figure out that something was amiss. Robin almost hoped he'd call her on it, just so she could stop pretending, but she didn't think Shawn was like that. It was part of what kept him with her.

He'd given her more than enough to work with, though. He liked to help people, and Robin needed help, help only Shawn could provide.

"If you stay with me, we won't have to worry anymore," she said. "I'll stick with you next time, and everything will be okay."
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

((Skipping due to inactivity.))

Robin was talking again. Saying how Zora was trying to kill her, saying that she'd only reacted in self-defense. Shawn was... still not one hundred percent sure. He felt like he had somehow gotten himself in a terrible situation.

Robin continued, saying how he was keeping her alive, keeping the misunderstandings away. Shawn twitched. There was something weird about what she was saying. That's what he felt.

"If you stay with me, we won't have to worry anymore. I'll stick with you next time, and everything will be okay."

That was kind of creepy. Actually, no. Shawn found that very creepy. It felt like she wanted him all to herself. Or... something, something he couldn't put his finger on but made him uncomfortable nevertheless.

He couldn't leave. He had to leave. He shouldn't. He must.

"Good," was all he said. He tried his hardest not to betray his thoughts.

He turned, Looking down the stream, his back towards Robin.

"I'm sure you're familiar with baseball?" he asked, unexpectedly.

"Three strikes," he added. He held up his left arm, and pointed his fingers up into a v-shape.

"You have one more."
jimmydalad

Post by jimmydalad »

((Sorry, been studying for exams and whatnot, therefore less active than usual))

Bailey kept quiet, her eyes on the two of them. She didn't make a sound. Her breathing was light and though her arm throbbed, she focused on ignoring the pain. She had to. She couldn't be brought down. She didn't want to get brought down by a measly injury. Now wasn't the time for that. Right now, she needed to survive and eliminate those who bring a challenge.

She was surprised with Shawn's reaction. She had just admitted to killing someone. Then again, it was in self defense. While Bailey still had some doubts about whether or not she was being entirely truthful, there was no concrete reason to doubt her. Sure she killed Robin as well, but that was probably an accident. Hopefully.

She continued to listen to the conversation, making her presence unknown to the other two. She didn't know when to come out. She didn't feel that now was a good time. So she decided to remain hidden, using her surroundings to her advantage.
[+] The Program V2
Characters
M09: Maxim Senders - "The stars are so pretty tonight. Shame you can barely see them." - Status: DEAD

[+] TV V2

[+] Second Chances

Weapon - Trumpet
Memories - o
Pregame - o

Weapon - Meat Cleaver
[+] SOTF International
Game - o
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Robin smiled. It came out wider than she had expected, hurting her dry lips, threatening to crack the skin and send blood trickling down her chin. She let it drop quickly, running her tongue over her lips to moisten them. She had been worried for a moment, there. Shawn was someone who sort of made sense to her, but there had been a few times in their journeys together when he had done things that had taken her aback, and she'd feared, even if only briefly, that he really was going to leave. She'd felt her heart rate accelerating, her body getting ready to pump adrenaline and put her into full fight or flight mode, and that didn't even make sense. Shawn wasn't a threat to her. She didn't think he ever would be, even if he decided to end their association. After all they'd been through, no way would he hurt her.

But now it was all okay. She was on probation. Two strikes. She didn't really think Shawn would abandon her if she got another, though. He kept making up excuses for her as much as she did. Still, part of her role was to play along and let him know she understood and respected his decision, so she nodded at him.

"Thanks," she said. "Thank you so much. It means a lot—I was so scared, and whenever you're around everything's been okay. So we can make sure everything stays okay now."

And it would. There were fewer of their classmates around by the moment, At the start, Robin had known that she would die, but now, way in the back of her head, there was this tiny niggling doubt, this little spark of hope that maybe she wouldn't have to die after all. The people who won, they disappeared, but disappearing was better than dying. And what could they do if she and Shawn made it to the end and simply refused to fight? She wouldn't even really need to get involved with any more violence, as long as nobody else tried to interfere and put what she had at risk.

Everything was going to be just fine.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

"Let's go, then," he said blankly.

There was really not much left to do here, and... hopefully, they could avoid death on their... no, her hands.

This was getting rather tiring, but maybe they could start moving along without him worrying about her safety or

mental well-being

He began to walk downstream, heading slightly away from it. As the sound of the rushing water became further away and faded, Shawn began to wonder what could possibly happen when it came down to the final stretch.

He'd... he'd have to deal with that as it came.

((Shawn Bowe-Crooke continued in Shack Attack.))
jimmydalad

Post by jimmydalad »

Why couldn't Bailey fire? It should have been easy. After all, she was a killer like Tas. Her aim was to kill those who had killed. Yet, all she could do was watch.

Bailey chewed her lip as she watched Shawn leave. This would be the perfect opportunity, the best time to shoot. He was gone. However, Bailey didn't. She just watched.

There was no point being here now. If she couldn't do anything, she might as well go.

Moving swiftly away, she tried to adjust her mind and think about what just happened. Why didn't she shoot?

All it took was a single fire, just like Felicia.

((Bailey Williams in Shack Attack))
[+] The Program V2
Characters

[+] TV V2

[+] Second Chances

Weapon - Trumpet
Memories - o
Pregame - o

Weapon - Meat Cleaver
[+] SOTF International
Game - o
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Alright," Robin said. She slowly collected herself, pulling herself to her feet only once Shawn had actually taken a few steps. Her legs were hurting, and the cold got worse again as soon as she stood, as she stumbled a little before regaining her balance. She steadied before long, though, and was able to keep pace with Shawn about as well as she ever had.

It felt like so long since she'd been taken from school, like this was a whole other world, and she tried to occupy herself by imagining that this was the case. It wasn't too easy to believe it, but she could catch glimpses of shadows flickering on the edges of her vision and sometimes thought, far away, she could hear snatches of music over the crunch of her footfalls.

She took deep breaths and tried to stay focused on following Shawn. After all she'd done, she didn't want to lose track of him.

((Robin Pounds continued in Shack Attack))

Return to “Meandering Stream”