Wash Away

Feeding the lake is a stream running down from somewhere high in the mountains surrounding the valley. It winds back and forth up the steep slopes, and without proper equipment, most people would have a very difficult time following it for long. In some places, it narrows down to barely more than a trickle, in others, it widens to the point it could almost be considered a river (albeit a shallow one). It proceeds in a vaguely north-easterly direction, but follow the stream far enough, and you will encounter a particularly abrupt upswing in the trail's steepness, and a simple, stark sign warning not to proceed any further, or be fired upon.
CondorTalon

Wash Away

Post by CondorTalon »

Nancy had been sitting, staring at the water as it rushed down its path, for about ten minutes. She was huddled up against a rock, quietly wiping the tears from eyes.

It's hopeless.

She squeezed her eyes shut.

You're going to die.

She opened them again, her vision a blur because of her tears.

Why her of all people? What had she done wrong? Why was she here? Why? Why?!

She wanted to yell, to kick at the ground, to do something to let out her frustration, but nothing was forthcoming.

She didn't want to look in her daypack. That would just be a reminder of the situation she was in. It was right there, in her periphery, near the stream. She hated it. Yeah, that was good. She channeled all of her hate into that one object, the one object that symbolized what was wrong with this... this thing. This game.

She picked up a small rock and threw it at the daypack, but missed. She watched as the rock splashed in the river.

Well, great.

F09 - Nancy Morris: START

That's a good sign.
Sideliner*

Post by Sideliner* »

"FUCK."

M13: LENNY OSBORNE: START

"Fuckin' shit goddammit, stupid fucking lotto, fuck!"

Saying Lenny was furious was like saying skunk behinds smelled funny. Announcement Day had been a pain in his ass for him these past few years, because he knew that he wouldn't be picked for the recruitment. How many high schools were in the USA? How many students? He'd figured that he wouldn't be hit, that it'd always be some bunch of poor bastards not including him herded onto the bus, but nope, fuckin' Satan or Lucifer or whoever decided to slam their sneakers straight into his shitter.

The stream of curses had started when he got up, and they just didn't stop. It was like he was a magician, with the tuxedo and sweet hat, his vocal cords were the sweet hat, and all the nasty language was scarves or bunnies or something else that was fruity, he guessed. Choking the shitty piece of wood they gave him with one hand and strangling the vomit-green sack in other, he stomped out of the forest into the non-forested air, greeted with the sight of rushing water and...some girl right near him.

"Yo," he bellowed, raising the shitty piece of wood into the air. "You pissed, too?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Sideliner. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

Nancy soon realized she wasn't the only one nearby, around the time she heard the non-stop cursing approaching her. She whipped her head around, trying to find the source of the voice, before scrambling towards her bag, trying to grab it. She hated the thing, sure, but right now it was what she'd have to use to defend herself, if whoever was coming wasn't friendly. She clutched the bag, looking over at the forest where she last heard the voice.

Its owner made itself known. Lenny Osborne, whom Nancy didn't know very well at all, and she didn't know whether or not he'd decided to play the game or not.

He'd yelled a question at her, asking if she pissed. No, wait. Pissed, too. Which meant that he was indeed not sunshine and rainbows, and that he was in fact the one cursing up a storm.

"Well, I dunno. I mean, I get chosen for the fucking Program, even though I haven't done anything wrong, and I can't even kill anyone so I probably won't be living for long anymore, and I don't know what my parents or my sister are thinking are right now but I know for sure they're not happy to see me on television!"

She took a big breath.

"Yeah... you could say I'm pissed," she finished, that last line making her sound more depressed than anything.

She looked up at Lenny, who was holding a pool cue, or something similar.

"You aren't going to try to kill me, are you? Because that would suck. And knowing my luck, I probably got a worse weapon than you."
Casey The Undead*

Post by Casey The Undead* »

F12: Stella Barnes- START

"Oh, fuck me."

Stella stared at the garden gnome in front of her, wondering which part of it was the most offensive. Every inch of it was awful in any sort of situation- the grossly cheery face, the obnoxious splotches of red on the cheeks, the nasty blue overalls, the bright red pointed hat. All of it was disgusting and suburban and reeked of housewives and freshly cut grass. But this was not any given day. It wasn't as if Stella had just walked across this garden gnome while on her daily commute or anything. No. This was her weapon.

Someone in upper management probably thought they were pretty fucking funny. And, okay, if anyone else besides Stella had gotten this weapon, it would have been admittedly hilarious- but this was Stella's weapon. That was just cruel and wrong.

She sighed, picking the thing up. It wasn't very heavy, but heavy enough; getting hit over the head with it would probably hurt like a bitch. Or, at the very least, be distracting enough for Stella to get away. Of course, that meant that Stella would be on the defensive, which was not the plan. This was Program. Her parents were watching, her countrymen, her President. She wasn't going to sit by being a defensive player, running away from danger and hiding away like those pussy girls from last season in the Watchtower. That wasn't patriotism, that was cowardice.

Stella brushed her fingers lightly across the collar she was fitted with. Cowardice was selfish- it hurt yourself as badly as it hurt others.

"Bitches," she muttered under her breath.

She sighed deeply, picking herself off the ground. First things first- she needed a better weapon. That should be easy enough, she figured. She could bash someone over the head and take their weapon, or take one off a corpse. Then, after she had a better weapon, she would need to strategically take out her competition. Reasonably, the smartest thing to do would be to take out the first-day killers. Those were the eager kids who got good weapons, also known as exactly the type she wouldn't want to face in the end. Kill those kids first, leave the kids who stayed under the radar for later. Easy.

Well. Easier if she didn't have a garden gnome.

Still, first things were first, and better weapons were first things, and she wasn't going to find any lying around on the ground like an idiot. She pushed forward, forgoing her map for the moment. It probably wouldn't be too long until she ran into people; it was early on, after all.

It took about ten minutes for her to hear voices.

She stayed back for a minute, watching- Lenny Osborne and Nancy Morris? - interact. Neither really struck her as a killer-type, but Program changed people pretty fast. And this was America, after all. Anything could happen.

After a second though, she couldn't take it any longer.

"Wait, I'm sorry, what do you mean pissed?" Stella stormed into the conversation, still clutching her stupid garden gnome. "We got chosen for the Program. As in, the Program. This is a goddamned honor. We're serving our country. You should be proud, idiots." She rolled her eyes. "And as for shitty weapons, I assure the both of you that I have won that lottery." She waved her gnome a little, figuring it was useless at this point to try and hide it. "And yet, I'm still proud. That's how you do it."

She held her chin up a bit, feeling a tad superior. Stella Barnes wasn't a crybaby, that was for sure. This was her duty, her job, and she was gonna do it because it needed to be done. Sure, dying would suck- but dying wasn't part of her plans.

"Being pissed off at Program is a nigger thing, you know. You always see them complaining when they get on here, because they don't think it's fair. Life's not fair, but they expect shit to be handed to them on a silver platter, you know? You two are solid, in my eyes. Don't go all nigger on me, yeah?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Casey The Undead. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

((Brigid Paxton continued from A Cereal Cliffhanger))

Brigid began to slow down a bit. She was still running blindly into the forest, unsure if she was actually heading towards a place that would be safe for her. She was starting to tire, and knew that she needed to have some energy in case she had to run again.

She took a quick look around her. She was pretty deep into the woods, with no visible signs of people around. She sighed in relief.

I guess I could hide in a tree, then scram if this place turns into a danger zone. That might work.

Brigid began to walk around the area. There had to be a tree with that would be easy for her to climb and with enough cover in case anyone came walking by. She began to inspect the trees when she heard a loud sound in the distance.

Fuckin' shit goddammit, stupid fucking lotto, fuck!

Brigid froze.

Oh no, it can't be.

She quickly moved behind a tree and peeked out. She apparently was close to a stream, and she could see two classmates there. She recognized the two as Nancy Morris and Lenny Osborne. She didn't really interact with either one. Lenny was a brash jock who was kind of intimidating to Brigid. Nancy seemed alright though. She was pretty friendly, so Brigid wasn't that upset to see her.

It looked like the two weren't that happy to be in the game. Brigid felt somewhat relieved. If they were against the game, then Brigid felt that it meant that they wouldn't be too upset to see her.

That's when she heard her. Brigid watched as Stella Barnes emerged from the woods and spoke to Nancy and Lenny. Stella was someone Brigid was not happy to see. She was a very angry girl, one who really spoke out against minorities. Brigid wasn't sure if she could remember, but she wouldn't be surprised if Stella made some cracks about her Irish heritage.

Stella was going on and on about how much of an honor it was to be in the Program. Brigid groaned.

How is this an honor? We're dying in some hellish game that doesn't mean anything for our country? We're not serving America if we're being publicly executed before that happens.

Stella's speech to Nancy and Lenny was spiced up with some racist terms. Brigid couldn't believe what she was hearing. Stella clearly was going to be a problem, and Brigid didn't want to stay near her.

I guess I should go back to finding a tree. The sooner the better.
G014: Mayumi Tendou
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2
Brigid Paxton: Deceased
Louisa Bloom: Deceased

Program V3 Prologue
Rodney Vasicek: Escaped
Ambrose Lexington: Deceased
Helena Christensen: Deceased

Program V3
Philippa "Pippa" Andolini: Deceased
Nastasia "Nastya" Zharkova: Deceased

TV:

TV2
Asa Rosen: Deceased
Taylor DeVasher: Deceased

TV3
Dale Hawthorne: Deceased
Shoshanna Kowalczyk: Deceased

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1
Paige Strand: Deceased
Amber Whimsy: Deceased

Second Chances V2
Sophie McDowell: Deceased
Sideliner*

Post by Sideliner* »

"I don't know what my parents or my sister are thinking are right now"

"my parents or my sister"

"my parents or my sister"

Oh shit. Oh shit. Mom was probably a fucking wreck by now. He'd always hated how she babied him, always worried about him breaking limbs, skinning his knees, and just getting hurt, but now, now, his mom fussing over him would come as a relief instead of a pain in his ass.

Wait, did I really just...

"What do you mean pissed?"

Stella Barnes. Lenny turned quickly, looked at the surly gymnast, and simply stood still as she talked about how great it was to be left in some cold-ass valley to die. Was she serious? Lenny loved his country, worshiped it, put himself through hell for it, but she really didn't give a damn about her mom? Didn't wonder about her friends? Didn't...

"Being pissed off at Program is a nigger thing, you know."

Nigger. Niggers were foreigners. Foreigners didn't appreciate freedom. Foreigners were prime candidates for betrayal.

She was calling Lenny a traitor.

"Don't you ever say that again," Lenny grunted through clenched teeth, raising his stick. "You say that again, and I'll take this shitty piece of wood and shove it up your ass!"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Sideliner. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

It seems Lenny didn't have time to formulate an answer to her question before someone else barged into the conversation. Stella Barnes. Another person Nancy didn't know too well, but from what she'd heard had a temper. Apparently, she was pissed at them being pissed, and spouted that being chosen for the Program was an honor.

An honor? Was she serious?

Was being forced to kill people you knew an honor? Was it a good thing in her eyes to be separated from your family never to see them again? Who did she think she was?

She continued. Nancy winced at the word 'nigger'. She hated that word. It put foreigners in a negative light, and Nancy hated it when someone was considered a lesser human.

"Don't you ever say that again. You say that again, and I'll take this shitty piece of wood and shove it up your ass!"

That was Lenny.

Nancy became more and more scared at the direction this conversation was going. She wanted to run, to get away from both of them, but she didn't know how they'd react, if they'd try to chase her.

Instead she clutched her bag tighter, backing up ever so slowly toward the trees.
Casey The Undead*

Stella rolled her eyes. Of course. She had to run into a hothead. Lenny Osborne wasn't a bad kid by any means, but he was a beer short of six pack, as her father would say. "Can it, Lenny, I'm not calling you anything rough. I'm just observing patterns here. Niggers tend to be the biggest complainers, although I guess you could make a case for spics too. Basically the freeloaders are the one who think they deserve it least," she concluded with a shrug. "But since neither of you are any sort of freeloader, I wouldn't worry about it, right?" She frowned a bit at the two kids in front of her. They weren't freeloaders, but they weren't exactly golden, winner material either. Lenny was too stupid to win, and Nancy was too meek. They were both probably scared shitless.

Stella understood that, but it also confounded her- it was a damn honor, she didn't doubt that for a second. No one wanted to get picked for Program, obviously, but one way or another she would end up throwing her life on the line for her country. This way just came sooner. She was sure that there were some parents at home blubbering into their hands because their precious baby got picked, but how was Program different from any war? It was a reminder, and an important one at that. This was her duty, and she was proud to do it, as she was sure her parents were proud of her for doing it. She wasn't going to be a coward. Better to die young than to die a pansy.

"Besides, I'm sure you try to shove your wood up all the pretty girls' asses, right?" She grinned wickedly, snorting out a touch of laughter. If the kid couldn't take constructive criticism when given, that wasn't her problem. She wasn't the kid's father. How embarrassing for him, though- to learn his son was a pussy on a national stage. At least Stella's neighbors would say she did good for her country. That was all that mattered.

She switched her gnome to her other hand, still smiling in a way she hoped was non-threatening. She didn't want a pissed off Lenny on her hands, after all. She could probably outrun him, or trick him into running his thick skull into a tree, but she would rather not wear herself out early. "Anyways, it looks like we're scaring Nancy off a bit, huh?" Stella jerked her head to the slowly retreating girl. "Don't worry Nance," she sing-songed, "Mommy and Daddy will stop bickering now. It's all friendly anyways, yeah?" She leveled a strong look in Lenny's direction. It was his decision to back off or not, and she didn't think he was quite stupid enough to keep it up.

Then again, she'd been wrong before.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Casey The Undead. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Brigid watched the three talk. Stella was still very crude towards Lenny, who was really furious to be compared to black people. Nancy seemed to be taking the right steps in trying to walk away from the two racist grumps. That's when Brigid realized that Nancy was actually walking closer to her. Nancy might see her. Brigid began to panic.

Okay, what do I do? What if Nancy attacks me? I don't know what her weapon is. She could have it hidden on her. Oh man, what do I do?

That's when Brigid realized something.

She's terrified of them. She doesn't want to deal with people like Stella and Lenny. Those two are getting close to fighting, and she wants to avoid them. I should be helping her.

Brigid leaned out slightly from behind the tree, hoping to stay out of sight from Stella and Lenny.

"Nancy. Nancy," she whispered, waving at Nancy, "come on, let's get out of here."

She hoped Nancy could hear her. If Stella and Lenny were going to argue about wood and penetration, it might be best if she could run away with a friend.
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Sideliner*

Post by Sideliner* »

"Fuck off, Stella," Lenny barked at the snobby bitch. He watched her smile, watched her play with that plastic dwarf, and all he thought about was whether or not he should make good on his promises, clutching his stick so hard his hand ached a bit.

"Anyways, it looks like we're scaring Nancy off a bit, huh? Don't worry Nance, Mommy and Daddy will stop bickering now. It's all friendly anyways, yeah?"

Like I'd ever settle down and raise a family with you, you raging cu...who's that?

Turning around to Nancy, Lenny found spotted a bit of someone, not too far from the soccer player. He didn't recognize the guy. He squinted, put his bag arm over his forehead. Not much help, either. Finally, he shouted "HEY, YOU, WHO ARE YOU."

Not a few seconds after, he realized he might have been a bit too loud.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

It seems her backing up hadn't gone unnoticed. Stella called her out, saying in a playful tone that she and Lenny were done fighting. It seems Lenny didn't agree, though, judging by his tone.

"Nancy. Nancy. come on, let's get out of here."

She'd barely been able to make out what the voice was saying. She backed up a little, trying to get closer to it. She didn't know who was there, but anyone would have been welcome after meeting with these two.

But then Lenny had to turn around, to look past her. Nancy's head instinctively turned as well, spotting a girl between the trees, waving. At her?

She recognized the girl. Brigid Paxton, who she remembered being rather quiet. She didn't seem like she'd be a player, and she would probably be better company than these two.

Then it hit her. Brigid was a minority; Irish, if she recalled correctly. The two behind would definitely not work well with her Maybe she could make a quick excuse to leave, meet up with her, and get out of here.

"HEY, YOU, WHO ARE YOU."

And there went that plan, right out the window.

Time to go!

And with a quick swing of her daypack to get it on her back, she was off running, towards the trees where the girl was.

She hoped she was good at running, too.
Casey The Undead*

Stella glared at Lenny. Here she was, trying to give him some helpful advice, and he was barking at her like she'd been the one pussying out at the beginning. Stella was damn well proud to be here; Lenny was the one crying for his Mommy and clutching his stick like a security blanket. "Whatever, I'm out of here," Stella snapped. She was sick of these people anyways. If the idiot wanted to make his entire family embarrassed of him, that was his prerogative. "Keep on whining about your Program chances for all I-"

Suddenly, Lenny snapped, screaming into the woods. Stella whipped her head in the direction and noticed, for the first time, what appeared to be a person in the distance. So that's what Nancy was going towards.

Stella glared down at her garden gnome. Of all the weapons in the world, she had to get a joke one, didn't she? If the new person had anything remotely more useful than Lenny's stick, Stella was up shit creek. And if the new person was a non-white.

Well. Stella remembered watching the Program last year with her mother, when that nigger shot someone's guts out. Her mother had said "Watch out for them, always. They want to prove themselves, make people see them as first-class citizens. They always cheat to get the top, in Program, in the world, in everything."

Stella wasn't going to stick around to find out if Lenny and Nancy's new buddy was trying to make themselves look like a first-class citizen.

She backed away slowly from the group, shaking her head. Goddamned cowards, Lenny and Nancy were. They wouldn't last unless they shaped up. Program wasn't cut out for the weak of heart; the only people who won were true Americans, through and through. The bravest, and strongest, and smartest of the bunch.

If Stella wanted to call herself the smartest, she'd have to make the smartest moves. So she turned on her heel and bolted.

((Stella Barnes continued in Trial and Error))
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Brigid smiled as Nancy looked at her. She felt strange just reaching out to Nancy like that, but Nancy seemed nice, at least more pleasant than Lenny and Stella.

Well, it doesn't look like Nancy has any way to threaten me. If it gets worse, I can run. Better just get out of-

HEY, YOU, WHO ARE YOU.

Brigid let out a small cry. She turned and saw that Lenny was looking in her direction.

Oh crap.

Brigid then saw that Nancy was running towards her.

Yes! She's choosing me! This is great! I might have actually found a friend here!

She turned around and ran away from the area, certain that Nancy was close behind her. She knew she couldn't run as fast as she was used to in, but she knew she had to get away. If Lenny would do what he threatened to do to Stella using his pool cue, then it would be best to get as far away as possible.

((Brigid Paxton continued in Listenlistenlisten!))
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Sideliner*

Post by Sideliner* »

"WAIT, SHIT, NO, I DIDN'T..."

And just like that, Lenny was by himself. He looked up and down, side to side, scowling like a drill sergeant who was handed a pack of anarchists to whip into shape. Stella left, Nancy and the girl were gone, and he had nobody to talk to, or team up with.

Grumbling to himself, Lenny stomped into the trees again, his belongings hanging from his fingers.

(Lenny continued in Vagabond Code)
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

As Nancy ran, she saw Brigid turn and run as well. Nancy followed close behind.

She turned to look back at the clearing. It seemed that Lenny had been left by himself, and Stella was already gone.

She turned forward again, swerving to narrowly dodge a tree. She almost lost sight of Brigid, but managed to keep on her trail.

((Nancy Morris continued in Listenlistenlisten!))

Return to “Meandering Stream”