The Bagman's Gambit

Private! pre-dawn Day 3

A moderate sized cruise ship in which the motor has been carefully removed, this shell of a vessel once was used for daily tours about the nearby waters. Inside are some bedrooms, a pool on deck, and a relatively large restaurant, with all of the place mats an dishes still on the table.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Jake started as he heard a noise from below. Grabbing his pistol from behind his pants, he bounded down below decks. What was he thinking, leaving girls alone like that? Obviously Odile wasn't that big on killing, not without a reason, and he had the gun, right?

No wait, there was another gun. Think, Jake. Keep your head in the game or you're going to get yourself killed.

That thought, of course, was ridiculous. He had found a teammate, he had found a nice other girl who was also on his girlfriends team. Maybe death wasn't going to actually happen now? There was a pit in his stomach that told him otherwise, but Jake had always tried to keep on the bright side of life, it was the best he could always do...

He glanced out at one of the porthole windows and saw a light, new people? He gripped his gun. This might not have been good. Then again...there was something familiar about the face that looked into said flashlight light...the corner of Jake's mouth twitched.

Then broke into a wide smile.

"Shawn!" he whispered triumphantly. He had known his friend on the island, of course, he was one of the few people who had looked around during the beginning in the classroom. He took note of as many people as he could and saw his buddy there in front of him. But... did that mean...

(GLD1: Mae St. Clair continued from Wrong Direction)

"I don't know," Mae said back to him. She hadn't been counting on the cruise ship being locked. She stood beside Shawn, also staring down at the glass around them.

"Did someone throw that? That's the question I'm asking." She fumbled in the bag for her own flashlight, gripping it and flicking it on, she pointed it upwards in some vain hope that it would illuminate the one who could have did this.

That's when the door opened.

"SHAWN!" Jake Langston stood in the doorway, and Mae's heart sank. Part of her, of course, was overjoyed to see her friend from childhood alive and well, but the other part of her could not forget the way they had last parted. Awkward to say the least. Jake launched his lanky body at Shawn to wrap his friend in a hug.

Mae was just grateful for the lack of attention at this point.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler peregrineink. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
The Bearded One*

Post by The Bearded One* »

Bobby started climbing the mooring rope, hand over hand, using the suspenders as a safety line.  At first it wasn't too hard, just awkward; his backpack kept trying to pull him into the water, but his hands, legs and suspenders held him to the rope.  As the angle steepened, the climb got harder, then much harder.  Around the halfway point, Bobby was climbing a nearly vertical rope, still ten feet or so below the level of the ship's main deck.

His hands burned, his legs were exhausted, and the suspenders cut into his armpits.  Parts of him wanted to give up and fall into the cool water below, but he kept moving, hand over hand, like he used to do back in Detroit Central's PE class.  Bobby's breathing was loud in his own ears; he almost didn't hear the brief crackling of the glass at the end of the ship's ramp.

He risked a quick glance back and saw one flashlight click on, then a second.  Shawn and Mae had finally arrived.  There's no way they're going to be able to open that hatch, though.  They're going to have to wait for me to get inside and open it for them.

Bobby redirected his attention to the climb, ignoring the pain.  Within another minute, he had reached the level of the deck.  Carefully, he moved his hands from the rope to the deck railing, let the suspenders fall off of his shoulders, (Nothing to stop me from falling now if my grip fails!) and pulled himself up and over the railing.  With a soft 'thump', Bobby lay on the deck hyperventilating.  A sudden, painful clenching in his stomach brought up its contents and spewed them onto the wood deck.  The smell was awful, and Bobby sat up, mostly to get his nose further away from his own sick.

That was when he heard the main hatch open up, and some boy shouted "Shawn!"

That isn't Cesar's voice.  Odile either has another ally, or another brainwashed victim.  Bobby shrugged off his pack, removed the costume shorts and suspenders, put them back in the pack.  He washed his mouth out with a bit of his grassy-smelling water, then quaffed some of it.

When he put everything back in the pack, he donned the pack again.  He stood, let his eyes adjust to the darkness and soon found a stairway leading down toward the central lobby of the cruise ship.  He quietly drew his rod and pipe as he stalked down the carpeted stairs.  It'll be your turn soon, Odile.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler The Bearded One. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

"...Mmmf!"

Amber's eyes widened as Odile pulled her into another kiss, unsure at first as to how exactly she should react to it.

However, it didn't take long for the young girl to relax and allow herself to enjoy this moment, her eyes closing as she wrapped her arms around the other girl. For a few seconds, she almost completely forgot about their predicament as she lost herself in the kiss. All thoughts of what had happened over the past few days fading from her memory as Odile's lips brought a feeling of euphoria which she hadn't felt since that fateful night at Odile's apartment.

However, just as Amber was beginning to wonder whether or not she should try to take this any further, the sound of glass braking shattered her concentration.

Amber still had her eyes closed and her lips puckered up for a few seconds as Odile pulled back, unsure at first as to what had distracted her. That said, it didn't take long for it to click that something was horribly wrong, and after a few seconds or so of total confusion Odile confirmed her suspicions.

"I think we've got visitors."

"...Shit!" Amber exclaimed as she jumped to her feet, feeling somewhat unsettled at how quickly the game decided to remind her that she was still on an island full of people who wanted to kill her. Whilst Odile had already grabbed the gun, Amber still had the machete that had belonged to Lou tucked into her pants, although she hesitated at the idea of actually drawing it. After all, maybe Odile was wrong? Maybe Jake just dropped a glass by mistake?

Either way, just ignoring the disturbance to pick up where they had left off was completely out of the question.

Fuck, why does this keep happening to me?
Kicking Akamatsu in the face since 2010
Cake

Post by Cake »

Mae didn't know what to do either, which was a real bummer to say the least. With a sigh, Shawn leaned his back against the side of the cruise ship, his body in dire need of some much needed rest. That's when the ship's hatch began turning, moving, being pushed open.

Before he knew it, a tall figure burst out from the door. Shawn's flashlight caught a glimmer of blonde from the boy's head, it was a boy and the voice - he knew him... It wasn't, no, it-it was! With opposite arms; one up one down, the boy stepped forward and Shawn did the same.

"Jake! Buddy! Oh-man." Shawn patted Jake's back, in that brief bro hug and a wave of elation overwhelmed his emotions. For a moment there, Shawn let himself forget everything about the island. He'd thought he'd never see him again and now there he was - his best friend - alive and well.

Once he backed off, Shawn aimed the beam of light to get a better look and sure enough, it was Jake's face. The young new age hippie, wiped at his eyes a little bit before flashing the brightest smile he could.

"How's it been dude? How was the cruise... huha." Then he yawned.

"Ah, sorry bro - didn't get my beauty sleep. Had a heck of a day."
Kitten*

Post by Kitten* »

There was noise coming from the entrance. Conversation, and friendly conversation at that. Odile crept closer, making sure not to be heard.

It sounded like Jake had let in some people he knew, though their voices weren't familiar. She resolved to hang back, at least for the time being. Maybe once Jake had mentioned that he was working with a pair of killers, she'd emerge.

No sense in startling anyone.

Surprises got people killed.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Kitten. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Mae crept quietly behind Shawn as she watched the two quickly embrace. Shawn was obviously happy to see his best friend again, but there was a queasy feeling in the put of her stomach as she looked at her former close childhood friend.

Jake opened his eyes and looked directly into hers.

Oh. Oh. Awkward.

Jake pulled away from Shawn as he apologized for lack of beauty sleep. He smiled and ran his fingers through his sandy blond hair.

"It's okay, man, I haven't gotten much sleep either."

In fact, Jake honestly couldn't remember the last time he had actually slept longer than the half hour he had gotten in the cruise ship. Had he really been running around for days? Suddenly he felt very tired.

Shawn being there was such a double edged sword since Mae was also tagging along. Would she really make good on her former threat to kill him? He looked at her for a moment, she wasn't attacking, it didn't even look as though she were going for any sort of weapon...and boy howdy.

They both had a lot.

"The cruise is going fine, by the way. Doesn't stop at many places though. You should come in!"

He took a step out so that the two of them could come in, trying to remain calm but his eyes couldn't stop darting to Mae, making sure she wasn't taking any sudden movements...

"Are you...alone here?" Mae asked quietly. Maybe Jake could lead them to Odile and the prisoners. Jake smiled.

"Nah, I found one of my teammates, her name is Odile, crazy name, huh?" Mae's eyes grew wide. "I know. I know. I heard her name on the announcements too. But it's not like that. I mean, we also have this girl Amber."

Mae's eyes widened for a fraction of a second. Was Bobby right!? She looked over at Shawn. Had Jake gone off the deep end for sure!?
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler peregrineink. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
The Bearded One*

Luckily, the stairway that Bobby found was the main central stairs for the entire ship.  They were wide and carpeted, with fancy brass banisters and some sort of impressionist paintings on each landing.  Bobby moved down the stairs quickly but quietly, his eyes open, scanning around for any sign of Odile, Cesar, or Amber.

He was one floor above the entrance ramp when he heard the distant sounds of casual conversation.  That's that boy that I heard before, he thought.  He's letting Shawn and Mae inside.  Good, they'll be a noisy distraction, diverting attention away from me.  He was about to make the turn to the last flight of stairs down to the entrance, when he spotted the shadows coming from the hallway.  He backed upward to the nearest landing as stealthily as he could.

When they got closer, it became clear that the shadows were Odile and Amber creeping quietly toward the same stairs that he was on.  Their attention was directed to the same conversation one flight down.

This is practically perfect!  Either they'll head down to the hatch and I can sneak down behind them, or they'll wait for Shawn and Mae and the mystery boy to come up here, and again I'll be behind them.  I only wish that Amber wasn't sticking so close to Odile; I don't want her to get caught up in any fight between myself and her captor.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler The Bearded One. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

Odile led the way down the corridor, with Amber following quietly behind her with her hand resting on her machete.

The closer they got to the source of the disturbance, the more obvious it became that their worst fears had come true. Somebody had gotten inside. More than one person at that. How?!? She could have sworn that she had sealed the only entrance, which surely would have made it practically impossible for anyone to enter, right? And for that matter, why the heck had Jake not warned her and Odile about it beforehand? Surely he would have noticed them first, unless he had fallen fast asleep or something.

Unless...

Then it hit her. What if Jake let them in? After all, he seemed like a very trusting guy, seeing as he seemed surprisingly cool with the fact that they had robbed him in his sleep and all. So it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that he would do something as painfully stupid as letting a bunch of random people inside their shelter. Damnit! I should have just stayed at my post. Stupid Amber, stupid STUPID!

Odile stopped just a few metres away from a doorway which led straight into the main lobby, allowing the two girls to finally hear the voices of their new guests with much more clarity. One of which belonged to Jake, confirming Amber's suspicions. Another that she didn't recognise belonged to a girl, probably another Silver Dragon student judging from the accent. The third however sounded very familiar, even though Amber couldn't quite place it at first...

Wait a minute... Is that the guy from the hotel? The cute one who strangled Jaszmine? Whatshisname... Shawn, yeah. Jesus, what're the chances of bumping into him so soon?

She gently shook Odile's shoulder to get attention before she whispered into the other girl's ear as quietly as she could. "I recognize one of the voices. It's this guy called Shawn I met back at the hotel. You know, the one who strangled Jaszmine?"

She paused for a moment as Jake mentioned about her and Odile being on the boat as well, unsure as to how exactly she should feel about the fact that Jake had effectively revealed their location. Especially seeing as the last time she met Shawn the two of them didn't exactly get along well.

"W-What should we do? Do you think we should reveal ourselves, or try to find somewhere to hide or something?"
Cake

Post by Cake »

Jake seemed fine, although he admitted that he hadn't gotten much sleep either. Made sense, as Shawn was pretty sure not very many people had an opportunity for rest, not with the chaos going on, within this show.

Then Jake invited them in. The both of them - he and Mae, or so he assumed at first. Now that he thought of it, Jake's invitation of "You should come in!" seemed to be directed at him only. The way he kept a cautious eye on Mae told him that much. But even Shawn wasn't oblivious to the awkward tension in the air. What happened between these two anyway? Whatever it was, it made Shawn incredibly uncomfortable, especially with all kinds of weapons, including guns being involved.

They followed Jake inside and Shawn thought he'd put the feeling aside. After all, he had just had a pleasant reunion with his best friend and he didn't want anything to take away that all natural high he got from it. Then Mae asked a question. She asked if Jake was alone and Jake gladly answered.

"Nah, I found one of my teammates, her name is Odile, crazy name, huh?"

Wait. What?

"Nah, I found one of my teammates', her name is Odile crazy name, huh?"

Odile. She was Jake's Team-mate and she was here. On this boat. Shawn looked at his bandanna - yellow. Not gold. His heart sank.

"Oh. Cool." Shawn said in response, his positive tone from earlier, not wavering.

Shawn kept the cheery smile on his face. The new found knowledge that Odile was Jake's team mate and the way he implied that they were working together, complicated things. He had to be careful. He couldn't let Jake know that he had been looking for Odile and the hostages, Bobby said she had. For the time being he'd just follow Jake and listen to what he had to say.

He mentioned Amber being here too, but not about that Cesar dude that Bobby had also mentioned. Hey, where was Bobby anyway? Odile, Amber and Cesar were his people, his classmates. Shawn was too elated to concern himself with those people right now.

When Jake's back was turned, Shawn saw Mae turn to look at him with a nervous expression. Shawn looked at his team mate and did his best to gesture the words "Don't worry" to her.

For now they would just follow Jake to wherever he was bringing them and figure the situation out from there. "I'm just glad you're ok, man."
Kitten*

Post by Kitten* »

Jake brought her name up, and they seemed okay with it. Now that Amber mentioned it, Odile did recognize the boy from back at the hotel. He'd seemed alright there, too.

She supposed it seemed safe enough.

Odile walked out, slowly, motioning for Amber to follow. She kept a hand on her gun: couldn't be too careful, after all.

"Someone say my name?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Kitten. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Shawn looked at Mae with a clear don't worry expression. If Shawn didn't want her to worry, she wasn't going to, but her heart couldn't help but jump when a voice came out of nowhere.

"Someone say my name?"

Jake rubbed the back of his neck, a little embarrassed. Maybe Odile didn't want people to be throwing her name around? He was never sure about this. Also maybe she was sensitive about the uniqueness of her name and he did say that it was crazy.

"Yeah, Odile, that was me. These are my friends from the Academy. Shawn and Mae."

He tried not to hesitate while saying Mae's name. Of course she was still his friend, and obviously her and Shawn had a definite thing going.

"They're cool," he added.
The Bearded One*

((Edited in compliance with Fioriboy's & Kitten's concerns.))

Bobby watched as the two shadows which were Odile and Amber slowly descended the stairs down to the entry level. They stopped about halfway down the last flight. Why are they stopping? Keep going down. Get off the stairway so I can have maximum advantage when I attack. His mental commands to them did nothing.

He could hear the mystery boy walking closer to the base of the stairs and mention Odile and Amber. Where's Cesar, I wonder? Then Odile broke her silence, revealing her presence on the staircase. The mystery boy answered her, introducing Shawn and Mae as "from the Academy" and saying that "they're cool."

Bobby tried to gauge where the mystery boy was standing. With the voices from a whole floor below, he couldn't tell if the boy was still in the entrance hall or if he was at the base of the stairs or even if he had started climbing the stairs. If they come back up, my surprise will be ruined. I have to strike now. And Odile is still on the stairs, so I need to use the longer rod, maybe knock her down, then do the real damage from closer range with the pipe.

He took a deep breath, then leaped down to the lobby level. His right leg almost buckled when he landed with a 'clump', and he felt the shock radiate up his right flank, but he didn't stop. He turned, took two quick steps down the last flight toward his target and swung the aluminum rod backhanded, aiming at Odile's head for the greatest chance of a quick knock-down.

Amber reacted just a little faster than he had anticipated, pushing Odile down and out of the way below the arc of the rod. It swung past her and, to Bobby's horror, toward the mystery boy.
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

Things had been going so well at first.

Odile decided that it would be best to reveal themselves rather than stay hidden, the taller girl walking out into the open as Amber quietly followed her from behind. Her eyes widened with fear as she noticed how well-armed Shawn and the other girl were, although from the looks of things they look as though they had any intention of actually using them.

As Odile spoke, Amber took the opportunity to take note of the girl who's name was apparently Mae. She seemed fairly cute, with her long black hair and dancer's body. Although at the time, Amber was more concerned about the fact that she and Shawn happened to be on the same team, judging from their respective bandannas. Did this mean that they were intending on working together against the rest of the island? Or was it just a coincidence that the two of them happened to be friends AND on the same team, just like with her and Sterling.

Either way, Shawn from the looks of things was more concerned with talking then he was with filling any of them with lead, although the look he gave Odile suggested that he was nevertheless suspicious of the girl. Not that Amber could blame him, seeing as she had caused the deaths of two people in a row, but it did mean that she would eventually have to convince the two of them that it had all been a simple misunderstanding. And as much as Amber wasn't looking forward to that, it was still a relief to see that-

-Wait. What was that noise?

Amber's head swung around, her mouth gaping as none other that Bobby Goldman swung a metal pole in Odile's direction.

"Odile, LOOK OUT!" she screamed as she shoved the taller girl out of the way, the metal pole missing her entirely...

...Only to slam into Jake instead.

ShitShitSHITSHIT!

"Oh, God!" said Bobby, who for a moment was stunned by what had just happened. Come to think of it, nearly everyone was completely speechless for a few seconds as Jake writhed on the floor in a heap.

Everyone, that is, except for Odile Jones. Who at that point was already raising her heavy pistol and aiming it in Bobby's direction.

"Wait Odile, stop! We don't have to do-"

Odile pulled the trigger...

Only for there to be no gunshot.

Whilst Bobby had been taken back at first by the accident, he still recovered quickly enough to see what Odile was attempting to do dashed towards her, grabbing the cylinder of the gun to stop it from going off in his face. Being the track & field jock he was, Bobby easily overpowered Odile and snatched the gun from her grip, standing up and aiming it right between her eyes.

However, before he could pull the trigger, Amber immediately ran between the two in a desperate attempt to convince Bobby to let her go.

"Bobby, stop this! You didn't have to hurt Jake!"

"I didn't want that... Odile is the bad guy here."

A look of despair fell upon Amber.

"That's not true... She was just trying to defend herself! Odile would never..."

"She's playing the game. Not in the same way that Karen is, but she's a player."

"But..."

"Amber, get away from her. She's just going to hurt you too."

She could from Bobby's tone of voice that his patience was wearing thin. Amber knew that this situation would have arrived eventually. That she would have to convince Bobby at some point that Odile wasn't such a bad person. But it had never dawned on her just how determined he would be to wipe Odile from the face of the planet. And this was all happening so quickly that Amber couldn't even come up with a coherent argument against him. Bobby has always been so stubborn that in the past she rarely ever argued against him. So to find herself in this situation so suddenly was somewhat... Jarring, to say the least.

"N-N-No! I can't let you do tha-OW!"

She screeched in pain as Bobby grabbed her by the wrist and threw her out the way, his gun still trained on Odile as he mentally prepared himself to finish her off.

At that moment in time, Amber's mind flashed back to that fateful moment in that cabin by the lake. Where she had found herself in a situation wherein she was forced to take deadly action in order to save Sterling's life. By now she had grown to accept that she had done what was necessary, and that Lou was nothing more then a perverted player who probably deserved worse.

But now she found herself looking at one of her closest friends preparing to shoot the one girl she truly cared about in the face. No matter how much she wanted them both to live, it was at this point that it became apparent that she would be forced to choose: Either she let Bobby kill the girl whom Amber had been trying to reunite with ever since she first woke up, or...

Her hands gripped the handle of her machete.

Amber had already decided on what she was going to do the moment she realised that there was no alternative.

Because there was no way she could let Odile die. Not now. Especially not now. Letting Bobby murder Odile was completely out of the question. And Amebr was willing to do whatever it took to stop him. Even if it meant doing the one thing she had sworn to never do again on the island.

Which was why she now found herself leaping towards the boy who had once been one of her best friends and swinging her machate at his back.
Cake

Post by Cake »

"Someone say my name?"

The confidence in her appearance and spoken sentence was a far cry from the panicked and frightened girl that he remembered from the hotel. It sure looked like the same girl, but something bothered Shawn about her. Had she been acting before, or was she acting now? Whatever the case was, it looked like Odile was a pretty good actress. In other words: a pretty good liar too.

"Hello..." Shawn said as Odile walked into the picture. "...again." With the hot blonde, Amber.

Jake walked forward then and introduced Shawn and Mae as friends to his team-mate, while putting in a good word for them both.

That was when things went wrong. Utterly wrong.

First came the clumping sound; someone had literally jumped in on them. Shawn flashed the light to get a better look at just who it was, as he instinctively placed a hand to the firearm strapped against himself. He stopped, when he caught sight of Bobby's face.

Where did he come from? How did he get in? What the- what is he doing?

Bobby moved forward with his metal rods or pipes that he had been carrying throughout their entire trek from the lake to the ski resort and to then to the cruise ship. Shawn watched as Bobby lifted the pipe and swung it at Odile's head. There was a loud scream and in the corner of his eye, Shawn saw Amber shove Odile out of harms way.

He missed.

Jake was on the floor.

All Shawn could do was stand there in disbelief. Stunned. Just stunned.

How did this happen? It was another one of those moments that went by in a FLASH, leaving Shawn standing speechless. It had happened so quickly, that Shawn had no idea how to take it all in. He didn't know how to react. His mind had not yet processed what happened.

He was confused.

One second Shawn had a friendly reunion with his buddy and quite literally the next, he watched and heard that same buddy get hit and fall to the floor, just like that. The mood changed. That elation was gone. It was like the magic carpet was ripped out from beneath his feet.

Shawn stood there in shock, staring. All sounds were non-existent then. His head throbbed. No volume outside from the clouded whistling in his mind, like a kettle reaching it's boiling point.

Mae. Jake. Shawn didn't want to see her reaction, to his incapacitation. He didn't think he could stomach seeing his friends like that, not now. He turned away. He watched.

Odile had immediately pointed the gun at Bobby after Jake went down. Bobby yanked it out of her hand, faced it at her. Then Amber? God, what was Amber doing? She was getting between them. They were visibly arguing, yelling at each other about something. The next second, Bobby's expression changed, as he pulled Amber out of his way and aimed the gun at Odile.

Maybe he should have done something about now, but Shawn felt paralyzed. He couldn't seem to move one bit of himself. He could only stare as Amber raised her machete... to stab Bobby in the back.

[[OOC: Computer is still broken. Posted with cousin's computer, to move things along.]]
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Whistling.

Jake could only hear whistling.

He was trying to breathe but there was nothing, things had happened so fast that he didn't know what was going on, all of a sudden he was on the ground and he couldn't breathe.

It was like something was stuck in his throat.

His eyes were watering, a girl knelt above him. Her image swam and for a moment he thought-

Madelyn?

But he could focus, even over the fact that he seemed to have lost control of a lot of things. His legs. They seemed to be dancing, scraping along the floor. His eyes focused and Mae's dark hair replaced Mad's sandy brown. Her eyes melted into that uncanny gold that she had always possessed, that was always so weird.

"It's going to be okay," Mae whispered to him. Her face wasn't even bothering to be convincing, how bad did he look? Something had hit him, hard, in the throat. Something felt like it had crushed his Adam's apple.

He wheezed.

It probably did.

Her hands fluttered over him, trying hard not to hurt anything further but unsure of how to proceed. How bad was he? Was it okay? Would he be fine? It didn't look good, there was something....off about where he had been struck. His throat was swelling and looking rather terrible, he clearly wasn't breathing properly. No matter what this spelled out trouble.

She had to take his mind off of what was to come. It might take minutes, maybe hours. She just didn't know.

Mae turned back and looked and the ensuing melee. People were arguing and pointing weapons at each other, Shawn was standing there and someone was getting stabbed in the back. Mae was the only person attempting to help the person who had actually been injured.

"Hey. Jake. Listen. Focus on me, okay?" She watched him grow paler by the moment, his eyes growing bloodshot and glazing over. The edges of his lips gew blue as he attempted to breathe around broken cartiledge.

I had never sung for her.

"Remember when we were kids? Remember? You always wanted to play house. Not me. You always wanted to be safe in a house with children and a family. Are you thinking about it?" She reached for his hand and held onto it tightly. His blue eyes, always so different from hers, looked over at the docks, out to the ocean beyond. They seemed to light up.

A house. Out there. Maybe on an island. With blue shutters and a red door. Two children, a boy and a girl, run in and out of the rooms. Her raven hair streams out behind her, his limbs growing long and awkward like a baby giraffe's, his blonde hair flopping in his face.

"How funny were we? I wanted to play cops and robbers and you wanted to pretend to have dinner all the time." She followed his gaze. "Maybe she's waiting for you, in that house, right? Madelyn's waiting in the house for you..."

He wandered the rooms alone, those children gone now. The dark haired girl had left so many years before, but that house, it had always really been his. The breakfast nook. The library. All of it his. But no one was there with him. He took a seat by the window to wait.

YLW5: JACOB LANGSTON: DECEASED.

Mae didn't cry when her oldest friend slipped away. When the dancing in his bones settled. When the light in his eyes died. She just kept describing the house they had lived in as children, painted by more his imagination than hers. She brushed his matted hair out of his blank eyes. Should she close them? He had been so happy looking out at what he thought he saw, some dying hallucination. If only it had all been so peaceful for everyone.

She knew that she should get up, go to Shawn, tell him what had happened. Instead she stood there, holding Jake's rapidly cooling hand, and just listened. Just. Listened.

Return to “The Cruise Ship”