I Hope You Find Your Peace Falling on Your Knees

Open, late Day 4

These cliffs, spanning the eastern edge of the island, form its highest point. The only nod towards safety from the jagged rocks below comes in the form of a high chain link fence, which has rusted and weakened over the years; this part of the island was rarely visited by the miners, as the crumbling cliffs held no valuable ores.
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

She looked away from him to wipe her tears away, and likely to prepare herself for this. So did he, mentally preparing at least. It was one thing dragging it over here, it was another to let it be swallowed by the ocean. She thanked him and grabbed hold of Paris's legs. Soon his arms were wrapped around his shoulders, he held his part as she held her own. They began swaying him back and forth, almost like a game children would play with each other.

He forced himself to imagine a different scenario. They were back home, and they were swaying a friend, laughing and happy and alive back and forth over a pool. Eventually the sway increased to an arch in of itself, strong and flowing. Soon, they would let go and they would fly off into the water with a small splash.

It wasn't long til the deed was finally done. James couldn't hear anything over the edge, almost as if they hadn't done anything at all. He took small steps towards it and stared downwards.

All he saw was a small splash in the water.

He looked back at her as he stepped away. Unlike him she didn't step forward to see. Just doing it was enough.

"Looks like it's done. Good job, Sophie."
[+] Program
Prologue V3
M11 Jason Rosser
Before:
Penisula:
1-2-3-4
M24 Derrick Thomson
Penisula:
1-2-3-4-5
After:
1-2
[+] TV2
ZP4 Zoe Walker
Image (Adopted from Espional)
Espional:
Pregame:
1-2-3-4-5-6
Adoption:
Resort:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
[+] TV3
Seth Dunn
Memories
1-2
Sandbox

Leonard "Leo" Kenter
Memories
Sandbox
[+] SC2
B15 James Mulzet
1-2-3-4-5
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie stared off to the sea. James was congratulating her for a job well done. She let out a sigh.

"Yeah, I guess we did good," she said.

Sophie rubbed the back of her neck, around the collar. It was hard to think that this was the third funeral she had to give in four days, and now she had to think about the fact that she was apparently good at it. Maybe this was what Sophie was supposed to do with her remaining life. Perhaps these actions would help her get into Heaven when this ended.

She had so little time left, maybe she should spend it doing good deeds and asking for forgiveness from God. She let out another sigh. That was somewhat comforting.

But it was also quite exhausting, and Sophie realized she wanted to sit down. She quickly plopped herself on the ground, leaving her bag by her side and facing the sea.

"Um, I don't think I want to check the lighthouse quite so soon," she told James. "Can we just sit here for a little while?"
G014: Mayumi Tendou
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2
Brigid Paxton: Deceased
Louisa Bloom: Deceased

Program V3 Prologue
Rodney Vasicek: Escaped
Ambrose Lexington: Deceased
Helena Christensen: Deceased

Program V3
Philippa "Pippa" Andolini: Deceased
Nastasia "Nastya" Zharkova: Deceased

TV:

TV2
Asa Rosen: Deceased
Taylor DeVasher: Deceased

TV3
Dale Hawthorne: Deceased
Shoshanna Kowalczyk: Deceased

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1
Paige Strand: Deceased
Amber Whimsy: Deceased

Second Chances V2
Sophie McDowell: Deceased
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

Good. Yeah, that's what they did. Hard to imagine this is what James would do, but Sophie wanted it. Two people had died and been buried by her hands and her conscience likely eating away at her, piece by piece. And you never know when you're time was so the both should make good use of it. James knew that now, no more wasting time hunting ghosts from days past. Just keeping himself and Sophie alive will be enough.

"Yeah, sure! " He said this as he sat down as well. Might as well have a break after this day, and not checking the lighthouse was fine with him. He didn't want to see anybody as of now and place gave him bad vibes, and with the corpses in front of it he'd hate to see the inside.

"You know... When I went with you back at the woods? This wasn't what I expected we'd do...No-not that it's a complaint about it or anything, did feel good to do." He looked down at his hands as he spoke, the remnants of his foray into near death. It would take a while for his hands to fully recover. He started clenching and unclenching them as he thought about how he'd say it properly.
[+] Program
Prologue V3
M11 Jason Rosser
Before:
Penisula:
1-2-3-4
M24 Derrick Thomson
Penisula:
1-2-3-4-5
After:
1-2
[+] TV2
ZP4 Zoe Walker
Espional:
Pregame:
1-2-3-4-5-6
Adoption:
Resort:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
[+] TV3
Seth Dunn
Memories
1-2
Sandbox

Leonard "Leo" Kenter
Memories
Sandbox
[+] SC2
B15 James Mulzet
1-2-3-4-5
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie continued to stare out into the sea as James sat near her. He mentioned that he didn't expect to have to do something like what they did when they left the woods, but also said it felt good to do that. Sophie pressed her head against her knees and closed her eyes. It was almost weird to hear that. It was surreal that, in a game of life and death, tossing a body off a cliff could be considered something that one would "feel good to do."

Sophie chuckled to herself.

"I guess it is a good thing," she said.

She leaned her head back and looked up at the sky. The sun was starting to set so the blue of the sky was starting to fade away.

"It's weird. I always thought I'd be a creator, whether it was creating music or memories and surges of emotion. I guess now, my only creations are funerals and tributes to my dead classmates. In a way, I guess this is my masterpiece."

She closed her eyes, let go of her legs, and let herself fall on her back. She let out a scoff when she hit the ground.

"It's kind of sad, but I guess it's kind of funny."
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

She confirmed it to him and in a way it was reassuring. They were doing what they could to be good. For whatever qualified as good around here anyway, it was probably the closest.

However, James himself wasn't so sure about this. Sure, it was fine for them to show respect and all, but they were sitting ducks out here and he didn't like how they were walking around without a plan or contiguency of any kind. The fact they actually got this done without some psycho popping up for a chuckle and knifing them both was pretty amazing. There were huge number of them out there and moments like this of staring into the horizon giving it's red glow as the sun started setting down. Safety and clarity would only get further and further between.

Those thoughts tumbled away as Sophie spoke of what she thought of herself before this place and what she'd been doing. Funerals and tributes, more than most of them could say. And then she fell onto her back.

James flinched when she hit the ground, it reminded him of the sound from earlier of Clio's corpse slamming to the ground after her head was busted open. He felt relieved when she seemed fine and found the whole thing sad, but funny. Sort of like schrodingers cat. He tried to hide his concern with a chuckle, hands firmly clenched together. It hurt which in a way was good, meant they still could feel. He'd heard about people losing feeling in limbs after being sliced and diced by others. He'd gotten lucky thanks to her.

"I guess. A creator, huh? It's uh, hard to create when everything around is so set on destroying." Just a listen to the announcements could tell you that, and repeat offenders as well. Stupid people, do they honestly think that by doing this they will get home? Get a serial killer tally up reaching double-digits, and of course they will be suprised when people at home will treat them like they are. Savage animals with little thought to their actions. James just shook his head at this. Waiting it out was better, hands relatively clean. figuratively at least.

He looked over at her as she laid there in the sunset and wondered how he never got to know her before this, walking past each other in the hall had been the most of it and yet here they were. Chucking corpses off a cliff after singing to them. Guess that's an imrpovement. "Say...You sang pretty well there. Uh, wer-are you gonna be a singer?"
[+] Program
Prologue V3
M11 Jason Rosser
Before:
Penisula:
1-2-3-4
M24 Derrick Thomson
Penisula:
1-2-3-4-5
After:
1-2
[+] TV2
ZP4 Zoe Walker
Espional:
Pregame:
1-2-3-4-5-6
Adoption:
Resort:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
[+] TV3
Seth Dunn
Memories
1-2
Sandbox

Leonard "Leo" Kenter
Memories
Sandbox
[+] SC2
B15 James Mulzet
1-2-3-4-5
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Yeah...that was the dream..." Sophie said.

She stared up at the sky.

"I thought I could go to college for music, write songs, maybe record an album, and then maybe I'd get to tour the country. Accolades would have been nice, but really I just wanted to know I was living my life the way I wanted, and it was making the lives of others better, somehow."

Sophie slowly closed her eyes.

"The only thing I can do to make lives better involves killing people. That sounds like a morbid folk song, doesn't it?"
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

Morbid folk song? Guess that fit, a girl that wanted to help and do good things only to end up killing people over and over again, sure did sound like some fucked up song some yokels would come up with. Although, didn't those usually have some weird morals to them? What the fuck kinda of moral would this one have?

"Kinda? That'd be one fucked up song...You want to record that once you're out of here?" He tried to give something resembling a cheeky smile. Tried being the keyword. Before he turned back to look at the sun, it was almost all the way down now. And as he did so, he was trying to think of the best way to say what was on his mind or at least something marginally close to it in regards to Sophie's statements about herself

"...I uh, well, still think you can do good without that, you know..." He swallowed and felt his heart beat go faster. He wasn't good with these kind of talks. "Like, right now we gave someone a funeral and that was a good thing right? And you sang to make it better right? So, yeah."

He coughed and got himself up on his feet and walked over to her.

"You can still do good. Is what I'm trying to say."
[+] Program
Prologue V3
M11 Jason Rosser
Before:
Penisula:
1-2-3-4
M24 Derrick Thomson
Penisula:
1-2-3-4-5
After:
1-2
[+] TV2
ZP4 Zoe Walker
Espional:
Pregame:
1-2-3-4-5-6
Adoption:
Resort:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
[+] TV3
Seth Dunn
Memories
1-2
Sandbox

Leonard "Leo" Kenter
Memories
Sandbox
[+] SC2
B15 James Mulzet
1-2-3-4-5
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Yeah, I hope so," Sophie said.

Doing good sounded a lot easier than it was. Doing good also meant doing things that were bad from one perspective but were only good from another. Killing Jeanette was good for Jeanette, but bad for Clio. Killing Clio was only good for James, and was worse for Sophie. It was really hard to say what being good was now, but now, as Sophie laid on the grass of the cliffs near sunset, she figured that James at least had an idea of what good was.

"Hey, James," Sophie said, propping herself up on her elbows.

"Let's try to do good. While we're still alive on this island. Let's do what we think will be the best for everyone around. I know that might mean making hard decisions and doing things that may make us feel bad, but can we at least see if we can remain good while we can?"
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

Sophie had turned valuable in a short while, not just with saving his life, but giving him someone he could trust and speak to without fear and loathing. At this point could he really trust anybody else? That's why he had to intervene and support her. Wasn't just brownie points, but a matter of staying alive.

It seemed to get trough to her which was good. It was all too clear to him that he was struggling with this, if he could keep her happy or at least what quantified as happy in this horrible place, he'd be for it.

So when she made that declaration/question. James already knew the answer.

Sure. Why not. He thought as he extended his hand out to her as he spoke.

"Yeah, I think we can do that."

((James Mulzet continued in Carp Diem))
[+] Program
Prologue V3
M11 Jason Rosser
Before:
Penisula:
1-2-3-4
M24 Derrick Thomson
Penisula:
1-2-3-4-5
After:
1-2
[+] TV2
ZP4 Zoe Walker
Espional:
Pregame:
1-2-3-4-5-6
Adoption:
Resort:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
[+] TV3
Seth Dunn
Memories
1-2
Sandbox

Leonard "Leo" Kenter
Memories
Sandbox
[+] SC2
B15 James Mulzet
1-2-3-4-5
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie shook James' hand.

"Great. Then we're in agreement."

Sophie leaned back and let herself lay on the grass. It felt nice to know she had someone on the same page as her, and that she was learning to handle and cope with her guilt. If she survived, it would be a long time before she could cope with what happened her and truly forgive herself, but if she could do anything that would lessen the guilt over time, maybe that was fine.

Maybe it was best to think about what would happen to her mind and her soul if she got home. Maybe it was best to think about what state the survivor of the game would be in.

Sophie closed her eyes and let out a slow sigh. Maybe- no, she knew, this would pay off in the end.

((Sophie McDowell continued in Carp Diem))
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3