Twisted Steel in a Twisted World

Phase 1 (0-12 Hours)

The salvage yard is located in the industrial park next to the boat shed and is filled with the detritus of maritime life. While a handful of small ruined rowboats are kept here, it is also home to partially-submerged shipping containers, old refrigerators and bed frames, and even a number of totaled cars and trucks, forming a treacherous mountain of junk. Kept around partially for lack of a better place to dispose of such objects and partially as an opportunity to scavenge materials for slapdash repairs, the salvage yard is more accessible than its phenomenally dangerous architecture might lead one to expect. Thanks in part to its varied topography and in part its distance from the rest of town, the salvage yard was a popular spot for children and teens alike. The children using it to play games such as hide and seek while the teens used it as a party spot. This has led to some accidents over the years and at least one death when a drunk teen fell into the ocean, but the only result of this incident was the addition of a chain link fence; the gate to this was quickly sabotaged and has remained unlocked since.
Aura

Post by Aura »

"Oh my god."

Kassandra could not think of a way for this situation to get any more awkward.  Either Marion just had no filter when it came to this sort of thing, or Kass herself really needed to work on her nonverbal cues, since she was pretty sure that she had been hitting the "please do not talk about this for the love of mankind" button as hard as she could without outright stating it.

But yeah, she could think about that later.  First things first, Bishop wanted some updates, so she might as well give him the full lowdown.

"We just kinda drifted."  Was the best way she could think of to describe how they had chosen their destinations.  "Found some awful shit at the pool, then we ran into Mina at the housing district.  She was pretty cool, but we got separated after someone shot at us.  After that, we sort of just ended up here, and we've kinda just been camping out."

She looked over to Marion.  "I didn't forget anything, did I?"
Katie

Post by Katie »

"You forgot the fat fuck that attacked us out of nowhere," Marion pointed out. "And it was at a really bad time too. He's the cause of the bruises on Kass's face, the bastard."
Bowser

Post by Bowser »

The first thing Bishop learned was that another person has died it seemed. Or, at least, that's what he guessed anyway. It's kind of hard to say "awful shit" without meaning a dead body. Who it was, Bishop couldn't guess, but that didn't change the fact that another person was likely no longer with them anymore.

The next was that Mina may possibly be dead too. She wasn't somebody who he talked to often, but knowing somebody he knew may be dead as well kind of hurt. To make matters worse it sounded just like his situation with Rodney too, where the two had been separated because of some jerk with a gun. So it's impossible to tell if she was able to get out alive or not. Did they see her leave? Did they go ahead as she stayed behind or lost them? What even happened? Bishop could only hope that Mina got out alright. If nothing else because she at least seemed like she wouldn't be hostile towards them.

Finally, there was the guy who attacked the two of them. He had figured they had gotten into a brawl given Kass' bruises, given the fact it was likely 2 on one and that Kass didn't appear to have any other injuries besides that while Marion remained unharmed meant it couldn't have been that bad. Still, he was curious. Fights in The Program tend to not end in everyone walking away alive.

"S-so, what happened t-to the guy w-who attacked you? D-did you two c-chase him off or s-something? I-I mean aside from the bruising y-you two d-don't look too h-hurt."
Aura

Post by Aura »

Shit, how could she forget about fatass?  You would think that someone nearly flattening half of your face with their chubby fist would leave more of an impression, but apparently not enough to avoid slipping her mind.

"Yeah, I belted that fucker in the head with this thing."  She held up her pipe so Bishop could see it.  "He got knocked out cold, and we bounced after that, so I don't know where he is now."

Yeah, she really didn't know what happened to that guy.  Best case scenario, she left him with a nasty headache.  Worst case, she broke the guy's brain, and he's lying there with a skull full of blood, pooling like some kind of fucked-up... hell, she didn't even have a description for that.  Dead is dead, no matter what way you want to talk about it.  There's quick deaths, and there's nasty deaths, and she had definitely seen the latter.  But however it happened, the end result was that someone was dead, and they were never gonna be anything else.

... Shit, she made herself sad again.
Katie

Post by Katie »

"I can't imagine his head's doing all right after what you did to it, that's for sure," Marion surmised. "Let's hope he at least survived though. Wouldn't want your name showing up on the announcements. It's bad enough my name is probably gonna be on there, wouldn't want both of us being seen as players."
Bowser

Post by Bowser »

Wait, crap, did Kass kill somebody? Granted it was in self defense and all, but god damn she may have actually killed somebody. That's horrible! It sounded kind of like she didn't even mean to kill the guy though, or at least that was the impression he got. Kass mentioned knocking him out rather than killing him, only for Marion to just blurt out that he was possibly dead, and with the announcement so close there wasn't really any need to hide who they killed.  

Though Marion also mentioned something else. The possibility of her name also being read on the announcements. Bishop couldn't help but to be a little concerned about that. When did she have a chance to kill somebody? When would she have even BEEN able to kill somebody? Did it have something to do with why she was cuffed? Did she kill somebody and whoever was with her at the time do that to her as some kind of punishment?

"W-w-wait." Bishop said, eyes wide and on Marion as he spoke. "W-what do y-you mean y-you might b-be on the a-announcements?"
Aura

Post by Aura »

Kassandra sighed.  She had forgotten about Scott from the gazebo.  Fucker.

"Yeah, I had to run off and find this thing to break her free, so she was alone for a while."  She forlornly explained, raising her pipe again.  "And while I was gone, some sick fuck with a cattle prod showed up and tried to torture her."  She closed her eyes tightly, visibly angered by the memory.  She had left Marion alone, with no means to defend herself, completely vunerable to being attacked, tortured, and killed.  And if Marion hadn't been so quick, then it could have happened.  The possibilities crept back into her mind, worst-case scenarios returning after she had tried to leave them in the past.  She fought herself to keep from panicking, and guided herself back to the topic at hand.

"She kicked him over the side and he broke his neck.  It was self-defense, but I'm worried the announcement are gonna spin it into something else."  She clutched her forehead.  "She didn't do anything wrong.  It was his fault."

She was still agitated as she repeated that in her head.  Scott was the aggressor.  There was no reason that Marion should be punished for defending herself.  But sadly, they weren't in a place where justice existed, at least not in any reputable fashion.  One more statement came from her in the form of a low, barely audible growl.

"Fucker..."
Katie

Post by Katie »

"Yeah, I killed Scott Wallace in self-defense," Marion admitted. "I didn't even mean to kill him, I was just kicking him away from me, but, well, he went over the railing and landed on his neck or something. I may be handcuffed but I'm not totally helpless. In fact, when that fat fuck attacked me and Marion, I used my handcuffs to choke him out. They may not be a conventional weapon but I can still use them like one."

It was then that Marion realized something. "We never really explained exactly why I'm handcuffed did we? It's kind of embarrassing but, well..." Marion opened up her bag and pulled out the ball gag. "This and these handcuffs were my assigned weapon. I've had a lot of sex of various kinds, but one thing I'd never tried was bondage. I was curious about it, and decided to ball gag myself and handcuff myself to the gazebo. Sadly I forgot to grab the handcuff key, leaving me trapped. And then Brittany stole my bag, key included, so I'm unable to remove them until we find her. The bag I'm using we took from Scott Wallace. I will say though, while the bondage got uncomfortable after a while, it actually felt kinda good at first. I wouldn't mind trying it again under better circumstances," she gave Kassandra a flirtatious smile and a wink.
Bowser

Post by Bowser »

Self defense. Okay, that's two cases of it now. That wasn't a good sign. Really the only thing keeping him from freaking out and bailing on the girls was the fact that Kass and Marion's behavior thus far with him hasn't exactly been player like. Both of them could have just killed him the second he stepped into the van and ended him there. So the fact that he wasn't dead told him

Speaking of which the horrifying realization that he would have walked into a death trap if Kass wanted him dead suddenly entered his mind and he felt extremely stupid for like the 12th time today. It was getting to the point where he really should just be dead by now, so the fact he was still alive was a shock to even him.

Still, at least he didn't handcuff himself to a gazebo like Marion did. That would have been one hell of a blunder to make. How did she even get this lucky anyway? He was glad she wasn't dead, of course, but the fact remains that it's a miracle she still drew breath. If Kass hadn't found her, well... Bishop shook that thought from his mind, not wanting to even think of what the alternative might be. Sure, she killed Scott, whichever Scott it was, but she might not have been as lucky the second time. What if one of the Patriotic Scotts found her after Wallace did? It wasn't a pretty picture to imagine.

Wait, was Wallace one of the patriotic ones? Who even knew. Bishop never talked to them unless he was forced to anyway, so he never bothered to learn their last names. Admittedly he did feel a little bad about that, but still it couldn't be helped. If anything, not being able to attach a face to the dead might help his sanity a little.

But regardless, now she had another issue. Brittany had her key, and sadly she wouldn't be free of her handcuffs until they found her. Not to mention she was effectively weaponless, even though the chain on the cuffs seemed to be a decent way to choke somebody out. So at least she could somewhat defend herself. Which was good, Bishop wouldn't want her getting hurt! Judging by the... Unique way she directed the last comment to Kass it seemed as though the two might be closer than he first thought.

Still... He didn't like the idea of leaving her with just her cuffs.

"W-well... It's a g-good thing K-Kass found you then." Bishop said, clearly trying to ignore the sex talk. "I-I wouldn't w-want you getting h-hurt either. T-though..."

His voice drifted off for a second, his eyes taking the moment to look at his bag.

"I-I uh... I d-don't like the i-idea of l-leaving you with j-just t-the handcuffs. I-I know y-you said you c-can use t-them and all, b-but t-that d-doesn't seem t-too safe, y-you know?"

And then, without even taking a second to think, he asked. "D-do y-you think y-you can use a k-knife? I-I have one in my b-bag, well, I-I don't really need it s-so..."

Now that he had actually said it, Bishop couldn't help but to feel a little stupid for a moment. As much as he hated to say it, Bridie was right when she scolded him for trying to use his first aid kit on her. She wasn't an ally, and she sure as hell wasn't a friend. Doing so was obviously beyond stupid. And yet, here he was, offering a girl he had just met one of his god damn weapons. After she just told him she killed a man no less!

But... This wasn't just some girl like Bridie was, she wasn't just some random stranger. She was friends with Kass. Allies even. Somebody Kass cared about to a decent degree, somebody she trusted! So, as Bishop thought about it, part of him couldn't help but to think that maybe this was for the best. That giving Marion some way to protect herself would work out. He didn't want to leave her with nothing and risk her dying. Especially when he could do something to help. So, he just hoped this wouldn't come back to bite him in the rear later on. That maybe this will all work out for the best.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Thinking back to her previous question regarding this conversation, Kassandra has leaning more towards the "no filter" response.  If she had still been wearing her hoodie, then she would have been using her hood to hide her increasingly reddening face.  Holy shit, it was enough when Marion talked like that when it was just the two of them, but with a third person within an arm's reach of both of them, especially someone who Kass had known for a while?  That sent the awkwardness off the charts.

Anyway, enough about that for now... hopefully.  Bishop had a pretty generous offer for them.  Marion's hands may have been chained together, but she still had her grip, so Kass figured that she would probably be able to handle a knife.  Probably a little awkwardly since she would still have to hove her hands in sync, but it was better than nothing.  Plus, there was no guarantee that she would be able to choke someone from behind so easily again.

"What do you think, Marion?"  Kassandra asked her, leaning back a bit so that Bishop would have a slightly easier time handing over the knife should they come to an agreement.  "Think it would help?"

She hoped that Marion would accept the offer.  She would be able to rest a little easier if Marion had a weapon of her own in addition to Kassandra's protection.
Katie

Post by Katie »

Marion shrugged. "It'll probably be a little awkward to maneuver, but I suppose it couldn't hurt. I'll take it."
Bowser

Post by Bowser »

Bishop, after giving the two a quick nod, turned both his hands and gaze to his bag and began to dig through it. Soon, he found what he was looking for. Both the knife and the holster it came in. Upon looking at it closer, Bishop quickly realized yet again how much of a god damn idiot he was when he noticed that the holster had something on it that would have easily allowed Bishop to just clip it to his pants or something, letting him pull it out instantly whenever needed. Leaving it in his bag when he could have just been carrying it on his side was near suicide, so he couldn't help but to feel like a god damn idiot... At least until he remembered that James got killed for openly carrying a weapon and died cause he didn't want to shoot somebody... Maybe keeping it hidden wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Either way though, he still didn't need it. As upsetting as the actual process of obtaining the shotgun was, he didn't really see much of a use in holding onto the knife now that he had the thing. Not to mention if he got into anything even resembling hand to hand combat he was likely dead anyway, so it was only really mildly useful to him before. Really, it was better he gave it away to somebody who actually needed it.

"I-I think t-this should a-attach to your p-pocket or belt o-or something?" Bishop said as he handed off the knife and holster to Marion, careful to point the handle rather than the actual blade towards Marion as he did so. "I-I don't know f-for sure. I haven't t-touched it since I g-got separated from R-Rodney."
Aura

Post by Aura »

All right, Marion was getting the knife.  And hey, it was looking pretty nice too.  Came with its own little scabbard and everything.  Between that and the shotgun, it looked like there were a few people out there who had gotten way luckier with their weapon picks than herself and Marion.  But on the bright side, at least now they had a little armory of their own to keep any attackers at bay.  Between her pipe, Bishop's shotgun,and Marion's knife, all of them had at least some way to defend themselves.  So at the very least, there was some small comfort, although calling it "comfort" was probably overstating it.

While the knife was passed over her, Kassandra started thinking about the other thing that Bishop had mentioned.  He had been separated from someone, so that meant that he had actually been with someone for a while earlier in the day.  So there were more people who weren't playing, maybe more people they could trust.  She had to get to the bottom of this.  She couldn't keep herself from questioning him about it.

"Hey Bishop, about that guy you mentioned.  Rodney, right?"  She asked him with a tilt of the head and a pointed finger.  "He's good, right?"
Katie

Post by Katie »

Marion took the knife and clipped its holster to her belt, though it felt awkward to do so. Doing stuff with her hands in general felt awkward when there was a chain keeping them from being too far apart, so wherever one hand went the other wasn't far behind. Marion listened to Kass ask about Rodney, and then added her own question for Bishop. "Have you seen Brittany Chesterton at all, or have any idea where she might be?"
Bowser

Post by Bowser »

Oh crap, he forgot he hadn't even told them about Rodney yet! Oh god that was rather of rude of him, especially after having asked them what happened with them thus far. Thankfully though, this was at least an easy fix.

"W-well, I h-haven't seen B-Brittany y-yet. A-as far as R-Rodney goes, well, I r-ran into him o-on the road on the o-outskirts of t-town r-right after w-we both woke up. W-we talked for a bit, a-and we a-agreed to work t-together. B-but... As soon as we s-shook hands..."

There was a pause, his gaze looking away from the two in shame.

"S-somebody shot a-at us. R-Rodney and I-I dove f-for the ground, a-and he s-said to run. S-so... I yelled for h-him to follow me, and I r-ran for the town. B-but... T-there were a f-few more shoots... A-and when I s-stopped running... Rodney wasn't there. I-I looked all over for a while, b-but... I-I couldn't find him anywhere."

Well, that wasn't exactly true. For roughly the first hour after they got split up he had looked for him, but after the incident on the beach he mostly just looked for a place to hide. Though in his defense, after seeing somebody get murdered right in front of you you would want to hide for a while too.

"A-after, well, y-you guys know t-the rest."

Marion doesn't.

"C-crap, I-I only told K-Kass, didn't I? S-sorry. A-anyway... I saw B-Bridie on the beach a-and called out to her. S-she was i-injured, a-after Zeke s-shoot her."

You never told Kass about that.

"O-oh... G-guess I should m-mention. Z-Zeke's also p-playing. A-anyway, w-we talked for a b-bit before James B-Badstag showed u-up. H-he had heard me y-yell to B-Bridie, and c-came to warn us that a p-player might have too a-and that we should go. B-Bridie though... She got upset that J-James was o-openly c-carrying a gun a-and wasn't actually playing. A-after a little t-talking between t-the two, J-James... H-he tried to go, b-but... I a-asked h-him if h-he had seen R-Rodney and... Bridie grabbed him g-gun, and s-s-shot him. I-I then t-tackled her a-and grabbed the g-gun, and... a-asked her w-why she s-shot him..."

He bit his lower lip, unsure if he wanted to go on.

"S-she... She s-said she was... Just d-doing her duty. Y-ya know, l-like what the g-guys who p-put us here wanted. S-she then said... That I s-should k-kill her too..."

He paused again, suddenly not too sure if he made the right choice.

"I-I... I didn't. S-so... I-I kept h-her away with the g-gun, grabbed t-the ammo, m-manual, a-and med k-kit from James' b-bag a-and... Ran. F-from there, I made my way here a-and... Well you t-two know t-the rest..."

Return to “Salvage Yard (Prologue)”