Semper Fi

Pro mundi beneficio

It's probably a little generous to refer to the motley collection of cabins in the middle of the basin as a town, but it's clear that in the days people still lived here, the hub of activity was here. The 'streets' are simply packed dirt, marked more by boots and the passage of logs than by real intent. The cabins themselves vary in size and construction, but the interiors are invariably similar - little more than basic beds and living areas, having clearly been stripped of anything of real use.
Iceblock

Post by Iceblock »

Her lips pressed together until they were white, and her jaw trembled with something more than the cold as she fought back the tears that she didn't deserve to shed and the bile slowly rising in her throat.

Audrey let go of the pitchfork now embedded in Dylan's back.

Whatever it took for the plan to succeed.

Dylan dying hadn't been part of the plan.

More revelations. Always more revelations, because that was what she deserved for denying them all for so long.

The plan had come to her, and she'd been unafraid of death, because it wouldn't have mattered as long as someone got the word out, as long as they all died for a reason. When the plan was sure to succeed, when everyone left had agreed to carry it out, she would have accepted her fate. The greater good was all that mattered. Maybe it would have been selfless, even a little heroic.

She wasn't a hero. She wasn't innocent. She'd been lying to herself.

And Clark. It was so easy just to blame it all on her brother, in her head, telling her to fight and war and kill. But she knew he wasn't actually there. It had been her all along, selfishly hoping to live while others died.

Louisa was unarmed, dying. Dylan's back had been turned. Audrey had seen the opportunity and taken it.

Now it was over. The plan was a success. She was a success.

She didn't feel that way.
This signature intentionally left blank.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Louisa felt her teeth starting to clench as she kept her smile up. More tears were beginning to fall down her face, and she was trying her hardest to keep her eyes closed. She had to look like she was ready to go, that she had accepted her death. If her family was watching this, they needed to see that their daughter was going to die proud and true to herself.

But strangely, there was no gunfire. She heard a strange noise, causing her to open her eyes. She looked at Dylan and immediately lost the smile she was trying to hold. Dylan now had some spiked prongs sticking out of her stomach, and she was stumbling.

Kyle?

Dylan collapsed to the ground. Louisa looked up. Unfortunately, Kyle wasn't alive and coming to stop Dylan. It was Audrey. The girl she met hours earlier in the forest before Shawn died was back, looming over her and Dylan's corpse. Louisa quickly rubbed her eyes just to make sure what she was seeing was real. It was.

Louisa looked over the scene again. Dylan was no longer moving. Audrey was standing tall and relatively uninjured. It looked like the game was settled. All that was left was to ensure that she'd leave the world on her terms.

Louisa looked up at Audrey. She knew exactly what she was going to do.

"Hey, I don't think I have much time left. Do you think you can honor a peer's final request?"
G014: Mayumi Tendou
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2
Brigid Paxton: Deceased
Louisa Bloom: Deceased

Program V3 Prologue
Rodney Vasicek: Escaped
Ambrose Lexington: Deceased
Helena Christensen: Deceased

Program V3
Philippa "Pippa" Andolini: Deceased
Nastasia "Nastya" Zharkova: Deceased

TV:

TV2
Asa Rosen: Deceased
Taylor DeVasher: Deceased

TV3
Dale Hawthorne: Deceased
Shoshanna Kowalczyk: Deceased

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1
Paige Strand: Deceased
Amber Whimsy: Deceased

Second Chances V2
Sophie McDowell: Deceased
Iceblock

Post by Iceblock »

"What?"

Blood leaked between the fingers of her gloved hand that she'd clasped over the wound on her arm. Didn't seem to be stopping the bleeding, and it didn't help the pain. It didn't matter now. Not when it'd all be over soon.

"Going to ask me to kill myself?" Audrey's voice was bitter, and she could almost recognize the tone, could almost remember that one time by the stream after Frank had killed Stella. "So that you can send a message?"

Maybe Louisa didn't deserve the bitterness. But people didn't always get what they deserved.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

So Audrey knew about the plan. Louisa could understand her frustration with that plan, especially after seeing Dylan's reaction to it. Louisa shook her head.

"I don't care about that anymore. I don't even have the energy to attempt it."

Louisa grabbed her bag and pulled it onto her lap. She opened the bag and began to search through it, using her one good hand to do the searching.

"I was wondering if you could be my friend. Just for the next few minutes or so. I probably don't have long, and if I'm going to die, I want to at least be in pleasant company."

Finally, Louisa found what she was looking for: two cans of Stars and Stripes cola. She'd been carrying the cans since the first day when she and Dylan met in that clearing. The cans weren't too cold and were a bit dented, but there wasn't any reason to not drink them.

Louisa held a can out to Audrey and grinned.

"So, care to share a drink with me? In honor of your victory and to mark my passing?"
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Iceblock

Post by Iceblock »

Her first instinct said it was all a trap, but she was too tightly wound right now. Louisa was dying. It wouldn't send a message if Louisa killed her and bled out immediately afterwards. That was no rebellion. Audrey let herself relax a little, trust that Louisa wouldn't pull something. Let herself believe at last that this was really the end.

So, then, to her victory?

Audrey smiled weakly.

That was one way to put it. She had an alternative toast to offer, though, as she reached out with her blood-stained glove for the can that Louisa offered. Red, white, and blue, but mostly red.

"For the fallen."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Yeah, for the fallen as well."

Louisa opened her can of soda and held it up to her mouth. She quickly drank down most of the cola. It wasn't that cold, but it hadn't gone flat. After days of living off bread and water, it felt so good to taste something so different and flavorful. Some of the cola dribbled on her chin and onto her dress. She didn't really care at this point. She wasn't likely to get a good drink like that again, and she was enough of a mess.

She looked back at Audrey.

"Hey, Audrey. What are you going to do, once you get out of here?"
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Iceblock

Post by Iceblock »

The soda was sweet, almost too sweet, and the bubbles burnt as they made their way down her throat.

To Dylan, then. To Kyle. To Angel. To Ash, and to Becky.

To Frank.

Audrey wouldn't forget.

She knelt to face level, took a moment of silence before answering Louisa's question. "I'm going to ask them a few questions," she finally said. "I have to at least try. All our classmates are gone" - it was hard to get the words out, seeing as Dylan was lying dead just to the side - "but maybe someday, this won't have to happen this way anymore."

Wasn't much different than what she had said before to the others. The plan wasn't what had changed.

"And a shower," she added, her lips turning up slightly despite herself. "First order of business: showers for everyone." Same old joke. Her voice wavered but stayed light. "Come on, I'll prepare the hot water for you right now."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Louisa listened as Audrey said what she was going to do. Answering questions did seem like a priority. The people behind this game had a lot to explain, so she could see how Audrey would want to press them for answers. She was hopeful this game wouldn't ever have to happen again. Louisa smiled. She seriously hoped that would be the case. If her class had to die, maybe it would be great if it had some impact on the future.

Audrey also joked about taking a shower. Louisa chuckled a bit. It was getting harder to stay awake or laugh, but she had to make an effort.

"Yeah, a shower would be nice. I'm such a mess," Louisa said.

That's when a thought entered her mind.

"Hey, Audrey. I have something else to give you."

Louisa reached behind her head with her good hand and found the piece of cloth holding her tangled hair back. She tugged at it until it came off, allowing her red hair to hang loose. The American flag bandanna Maxim gave her had managed to hold up fairly well, all things considered. It was stained and wrinkled, but it was still in one piece. She held the cloth out to Audrey.

"My friend asked me to hold onto this for him. Do you think you could hold onto it now?"

Louisa felt her eyes beginning to flutter.

"You're going to have a lot to carry from here on out. It might be good if you can remember your former classmates."
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Iceblock

Post by Iceblock »

As if she needed reminding.

Audrey took the bandanna, although she didn't know what she was supposed to do with it. She had never known Louisa that well.

"Don't worry."

Hollow words for a dying person, perhaps, but there was nothing else to say. Just the wait left, just the blood slowly pooling under Louisa.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Audrey's response was simple, but it was what Louisa was hoping for. Louisa couldn't tell what Audrey was thinking or going through right now. It had to be frightening, knowing dozens of her classmates had to die for her to live. What would happen to Audrey after this was a complete mystery, and there wasn't even any assurance that winning is worth it.

Louisa smiled at Audrey. She knew the answer. Audrey would be okay. She was a good person, and she was sure that she had a better life waiting for her out of this valley. Louisa just had to trust Audrey to make the right decisions from here on out.

"Thank you. For everything. I'm glad we had the chance to talk."

Louisa felt her eyes begin to flutter. It was getting harder to stay awake now. Her breathing was beginning to slow down. She realized her hip injury was worse than it appeared.

Audrey, good luck with everything. Marie, be a good little girl and grow up to be a great woman. Amos, be sure to take care of Marie and help Dad. I hope you continue to play the keyboard. Dad, I hope you can handle things without me. Mom, I wish I could have seen you one last time before this. I hope you'll be able to go home soon.

And to everyone else, I guess I'll be seeing you soon. Then we can finally be friends again.

Louisa coughed.

"I think... I had a good life after all..."

She closed her eyes. Suddenly, there was no pain. There was no sadness, no anger, no regrets. Just a feeling of complete ease and serenity. For the first time in a long time, Louisa was at peace.

It was the kind of thing she would have loved to write about.

FEMALE STUDENT #02: LOUISA BLOOM: DECEASED
1 STUDENT REMAINING
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Iceblock

Post by Iceblock »

And that was it.

Louisa was gone. All of her classmates - all gone.

As Audrey knelt there, she knew she'd won. She was the only one left; she'd survived. This was the end.

Funny, how easy it was to accept. After all the hiding, after all the lies she'd told herself. To live, that's what she had really wanted in the end, more than anything else. That's what she had gotten.

Deserving it, that was a different story altogether.

((Audrey McKee continued in the epilogue))

Return to “The Town”