you're nobody till somebody kills you

Day 8 Now; Post Announcement; Open

The east side of the community housing shows the wear of abandonment. The wilderness has started to reclaim the land the village was built on, meaning that many of the houses furthest from the center have become overgrown with vines and plants. The frequency of tropical storms has had a more noticeable impact on this side of the village as well. Some of the houses have been hit with debris from uprooted trees, while others have been torn asunder by a combination of debris, rain and wind. This has left a scattering of large wooden boards painted various colors across the entire area.

Thread limit: 2
Buko

Post by Buko »

Ace did relate to Hel. His girlfriend had died in his arms. He hadn’t shed a tear for her. Hadn’t cried a tear since.

Aliya had brought with her presence a return to normalcy that Ace didn’t feel he deserved—but he took it anyway. For a night, he could be around friends, both old and new. He always felt more comfortable in groups. He found silence and solitude off putting—but he liked the ability to get lost in a crowd. He enjoyed the present of people’s presence.

It was against his code and mission right now, to stay and burden other’s with depending on him. But he could rest for a night. It was just a night.

That night came and went. Far too slowly and much too quickly—as peaceful nights tended to do. Sleep was a distant and unachievable goal but rest did him good even if it was ill-earned. The morning came, he gathered his stuff and he was not far behind Aliya. Out the door, ready to seize the first light of the day.

He woke up, if not with a purpose, with a duty. And to his core, he was a responsible kid. He tried his best. He colored within the lines—if there was a duty to be done, he could do it. That’s why his Mom had him do chores. He was responsible. Accountable.

This wasn’t doing the goddamn dishes or taking out the fuckin' trash though. He knew that.

It was a duty, all the same. A responsibility.

The announcement went and came, on schedule, like always. Names were said, but he only cared about two—his and his victim’s. Parker Green. He didn’t know Parker. That was a lie. He had just met Parker--they just never exchanged names. Who woulda thought? That the next time that Ace would see Parker, he would be killing him. A week ago they had been on vacation, lifting weights.

It was crazy. He didn’t know what it meant—but he thought it meant something. He wanted it to mean something.

Blaise had murdered more after their encounter. Twice more. How many was that? Five? Six? He hadn’t been keeping count. He hadn’t been paying attention to the announcements, not that well.

He was responsible, accountable—he wasn’t dependable. That much had been proven--again and again.

The announcements finished and he swallowed.

“Well,” he said and closed his eyes, “I know who it was now.”

He nodded. He still had a duty, a responsibility.

“I’m sorry Parker,” he said for the thousandth time and the first time, “Wrong place, wrong time.”

He opened his eyes…

“All of us.”

He felt comfort in groups, he had always found silence and solitude off putting.

"I gotta slide," he said quickly, "I gotta be alone for a bit."
"My man got too familiar and I’d ended up having to whoop his ass, man, you know. Because he would step across the line. Habitually. He’s a habitual line stepper.” -Charlie Murphy
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Lookin' for the opps, they been hidin'
I grew up 'round drugs, sex, and violence
We turnt off they street, we heard sirens
Since a juvenile, I been wylin'
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

They spoke for a long while after that, on and off all through the night. What they said was secondary to the act itself. They talked about the people they'd missed, the ones they loved and the ones they wished they'd stopped. Guilt and regret. Good memories. Bad ones. Impulses. What the future was gonna look like. They'd kinda be surprised if either of them remembered much of it by the next morning. Hel got the feeling it was just sorta...soul-cleansing.

Sleeping wasn't the same. Not that their nights before now had been peaceful, anyone paying attention knew better than that, but falling asleep surrounded by your best friends and that one guy they knew and falling asleep with a couple acquaintances nearby hit different murder island or no. They stayed awake a long time watching the doorway in the house they'd claimed waiting for somebody to come through, and a longer time clutching their bag to their stomach thinking about how it was the first night in near a week Axe wouldn't be in their arms in the morning.

Nobody had to say they were waiting for Ace's name to come up when the announcements kicked on. It went without saying. A selfish part of them worried the name on the other side would be somebody they knew like a murder wasn't bad enough unless it hit them at home, but y'know that was kinda true. If it was somebody they were tight with there'd be a responsibility, near a compulsion, to say something for them. Ace had put himself through a lot already but were you supposed to look your friend's killer in the face and shrug off that it was an accident? What would somebody say to that when they squared up together on the other side? Obviously he hadn't gunned down like, Forrest or somebody that close, but still.

They almost missed it. Ace's name came after his victim, and on a double take Hel let the tension in their shoulders drop. They knew Parker, or maybe it was more accurate to say they knew of him, but they weren't close. Hel'd hesitate to go as far as to say they were friends. Similar lines of work, a couple shop talks here and there, but they didn't know much more about the guy and they figured that feeling was mutual. It was a fucked up thing to be relieved about, but if there was anybody standing to give Ace hell for Parker it sure wasn't them. They didn't have the right. Good thing too.

Axel Fontaine succumbed to blunt force trauma inflicted by Lorenzo Tavares, notch one up for ghost Lorenzo, wooooo spooky.

Hel had decided they didn't hate Lorenzo. If he hadn't gone out the way he did they probably wouldn't have picked up their gun and gone on some kinda kill bill rampage montage across the island looking for him. Shit. If he turned up the next morning lying against a tree, they couldn't have brought themself to shoot him. They would have been angry. They would have screamed. The gun would have been out. Unless he made a move on them or someone else though, they probably would have let him walk. Whatever spark they had in them couldn't heat up for spite or justice or whatever you wanted to call it. They'd stop violence but they wouldn't start it, that was the reality they were getting comfortable with after all their hesitations.

But if this detached motherfucker had the balls to come down here and make his quips to their face, they'd put a bullet in him. No questions asked.

Suddenly a whole lot about their way forward became clearer.

"Yeah. I gotta take care of some stuff."

They figured they would have been crying again by now. As they looked from Ace to Aliyah though, their face was stone.

"Thanks for listening. Stay safe."

((Hel Fury Continued In By The Blood In Our Vain))
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

((Justin Greene continued The FIrst SOTF Chili Cook Off))

These mornings were getting quieter and quieter.

Besides the announcements, Justin had meant in his self-directed thought of course. If anything, the baring of the loudspeaker just highlighted how quiet things were getting. No gunshots or screams rolled over the distance and at times, precious few brief times, life on the island was as loud as the cafeteria at school. And now, it was like the kids were filing out of the cafeteria one by one until it was just him left. That was the goal. Be the only one left, no matter what it took, no matter how much you hate yourself at the end. It was worth it, because he'd be alive.

More houses were in view now, but Justin couldn't remember if he'd been to these ones yet. He felt like he was going in circles, wandering a back-and-forth path on the island and sticking to what should have been familiar in concept because venturing off into new areas brought with it uncertainty and a natural disadvantage. Like... if he went north all the way to that beach or something, somebody who had been there the whole game would have an edge because they'd know all the hiding spots. That's how he reasoned it, anyway.

This village was nothing but hiding spots, nooks and crannies for somebody to hide. But the game had changed since the last time he was here... here? Somewhere close to here? It didn't matter. The game had changed. Justin had a gun; better yet, he had several guns and now he could be an actual threat who no longer had to turn tail and run when he heard a scary name called, like when Michael had shouted for Blaise. And of course, there was no Blaise, because if there had been, he'd probably be dead right now. But let's see anybody try to fuck with him now!

... His feet hurt.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

They received the information from the announcement and that appeared to be it. Their time together was at an end. It wasn't a surprise. Nothing was permanent, not even back in their old lives. That lack of permanence was even more pronounced when each hour had the potential to bring their deaths. So while Aliya was disappointed internally, it didn't show externally. She held her emotions in check and merely nodded at the other two, accepting the reality of the situation. As if it could have ended any other way to begin with.

As she looked around the houses though something caught her eye. It was a figure, lurking just on the edge of her vision, she ran her eyes over where it caught her eye, taking a couple of steps to one side to get a better look. It allowed her to confirm that there was in fact someone there and as she narrowed her eyes it became clear. It was a very specific person. After losing Justin all those days ago, there he was. They had accidentally stumbled upon each other. Her brow furrowed as she thought about different ways to approach the situation.

Justin had killed multiple times since he had run away from her and Tony. Aliya knew that placing all the blame of those actions at her own feet was merely her guilt manifesting in a selfish way. At the end of the day Justin's actions weren't her responsibility, but at the same time she couldn't stop herself from wondering what if? What if she had managed to convince him that he didn't need to kill? What if she had managed to catch him when he had tried to run? What if she had managed to find him at any point before he had committed the majority of his murders? All hypothetical, all worthless to dwell on. He was in front of her now. She had a chance to try and achieve something, maybe she'd be able to get through to one person. It wasn't much but it would have been enough.

She quickly moved closer to him and called out.

"Justin? That you?"
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

The voice called out to him before Justin caught sight of any living person who it could have belonged to. Only when Aliya reached out to him first, only when she wanted to be seen did he actually see her.

Aliya. The person way back then who had given him a chance and stuck up for him when Michael wanted to shoot him for what he'd done. He'd never be able to thank her enough. Thank her, for at least trying to keep him on course. She had tried. He would never blame her.

But Aliya couldn't change the reality of what this all was. Nobody could take away the responsibility of what was required just to live, which everybody else their age took for granted: the right to just LIVE. And she couldn't undo all the damage either.

She knew what he did. She had to. Everybody did now.

Justin started to walk backwards. His heel knocked against something and he stumbled, but mercy found him in that moment and he didn't fall down. He took that as his cue to turn heel and run.

Get away from Aliya, that was the single thought in his mind. He couldn't face her. Not like this.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

He ran. She should have seen it coming, he had already run away from her once before after all. Their eyes had met and then Justin had backed away before bolting without a word.

A sound of frustration came from Aliya as Justin started to run. "Fuck." He didn't allow her a chance to say anything further. He just ran. As if she was something he'd be able to get away from. She couldn't argue with his thought process, he had managed to escape before. But she wasn't going to allow that a second time.

Aliya had no doubt that she was going to be able to catch him. It would be painful but she'd be able to do it.

So without any hesitation, she gave chase.

As she did so she called out to Ace and Hel over her shoulder.

"Stay back, I'm going after him!"

Justin had already killed multiple people, she didn't want him to add any more to that list.
Buko

Post by Buko »

Hel was on the same page as he was and it seemed Aliya as well. He watched as Hel left and he gripped the shotgun nervously as he watched Aliya begin to walk away as well. He wasn’t listening, not really. Instead he was muttering under his breath ‘Parker Green, Parker Green’, trying desperately to assign personality to a face he barely knew and a name he had just learned.

He watched Aliya walk away, towards what seemed to be a blonde ghost. A scared, blonde, blue eyed boy like Parker had been. Or that kid who had killed Jackson and concussed Ace with trickery—Justin.

He heard Aliya call out to him.

“What the…?”

He saw Justin run.

Aliya called out to Ace now, ‘Stay back! I’m going after him!’--she was unarmed, a girl, what kinda request was that?

And what’d he do?

Shit he listened to her.

Like it was a normal request. Like she had asked to borrow a pencil. Like everything was regular degular schmegular. Like it was all hunky dory and so was he.

Justin ran, Aliya ran—Ace stood still.

For a moment, a second…

“…”

Maybe five, maybe ten.

They were gone from sight. Ghosts of memories past gone over the horizon.

Fifteen maybe? Half a minute? It was hard to tell out here—time just moved different.

His hands nervously gripped the SPAS-12 and a familiar chill went down his spine. A fire burned in his belly and a never to be forgotten shake returned to his wrist.

“Fuck am I doing…?”

He took off after them. Shotgun held close to chest, knees rising high.
"My man got too familiar and I’d ended up having to whoop his ass, man, you know. Because he would step across the line. Habitually. He’s a habitual line stepper.” -Charlie Murphy
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

What the fuck was he doing!?

Justin pumped his arms from side to side with the gun cradled between them. Each time his feet hit the ground his knees shook with significant and repeated impact. His legs were working as hard as he'd ever pushed them in his life, or at least to his recollection. Yet Justin felt his movements were sluggish and inadequate, like he was dreaming and running from something in his dream, never fast enough to actually get away. He used to think he was the only person who had those kind of dreams.

He may as well have been trying to outrun some unseen boogeyman for how Aliya was gaining on him. Justin could never out-do her on a straightaway and he knew it. His only hope was to try and lose her around the corners of buildings and between the hovels around them. The amount it slowed him was negligible; Justin was slow anyway, regrettably, and he knew it. It'd slow her down too, and with the head start he had on her, maybe he could break line of sight and keep it broken.

His arms ached, his feet ached, his knees ached and every time he swallowed the spit pooling in his mouth, his throat made contact with the collar and he felt like he was being choked. Justin lamented not trying just a little harder in gym class to lose his gut.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

As she gained on him Justin started to cut hard corners around the houses. Just another obstacle to try to keep distance between them. Justin wasn't fast and he was going to slow before she was, Aliya could already tell from the way he moved. It was only a matter of time until she caught up with him. Then she'd be able to try and do something, to try and help him, if she was able to.

"Justin, stop running." She called out as they rounded another one of the houses. Their chase cutting a zig-zag path through the collection of buildings, just like any of the kids that may have played on the island years earlier. "I don't want to-" Aliya's second attempt to call to Justin was cut off as her foot rolled over an uneven part of the ground, causing a loud grunt of pain as pain shot up through her knees. A reminder of her encounter with Paloma and the last time she had lost control of her emotions.

She wasn't going to let something let that happen again. She couldn't.
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Only luck had gotten him this far, he supposed.

Aliya should have been able to catch him immediately, Justin thought, placing no stock in his physical ability to get away. Aliya could run faster but more importantly, she could run faster for longer. His breath was already leaving him, he realized. His calves stung and his thighs were starting to burn in such a way that caused so much more than pain; he was exhausted as well, and each step felt like it could be his last.

It felt like his last step was coming within the next ten seconds, actually. And then he'd be facing the next remaining moments until Aliya caught up to him marinating in dread of what she was going to say or do. Weirdly, he was more afraid of what she might say, the platitudes of disappointment and how none of this should have ever happened.

Maybe she'd try to kill him. Justin didn't know how yet, or if she had a weapon on her. He didn't remember seeing one but he was exhausted physically, mentally and emotionally. His brain could have drawn up any weapon for her to hold just as likely as it could have taken it away.

"NO!" Justin burst out in response. This proved to be a mistake - the shout only winded him further. He released his grip on the gun with his left hand and it swing across his body and to the side, dangling in his grip while the freed arm reoccupied itself with clutching his ribs, fighting the urge to bend over with his huffing and puffing and urge to gag. "Bah... stay... back..." he wheezed. "No... closer... don't come... stay bah... ugh..."
Buko

Post by Buko »

Back home, Ace was a three star recruit--had been a three star recruit.

Which, like, didn't mean much, especially not out here. What it did mean was that Ace was a known product athletically. He had been weighed, he had been measured and the book was written on Beats. That was just fact.
Rivals.com, Scouting Report wrote:Tall, lean runner who runs heavier than he looks and quicker than he seems. Good hands and can work as a receiver out the backfield...Long legs capable of long strides, great initial burst off the line...a natural athlete with explosive speed...great straight away sprinter, poor speed when making cuts...decision making when under pressure leaves a lot to be desired...

Hesitates too much.
He had took off running like a bat outta hell. Like it was a game and Connor had just said hike. A track meet and Ace had just heard the bang of a pistol. He had waited far too long, every second counted. He knew that. Mei had proven that. He remembered running away and quickly noticing she wasn't with him. He remembered hesitating and then running back to get her. He remembered Quinn standing over her body with a bloody knife.

He hesitated. She died. He remembered. That was really all he could do. Because of what he had done. Because of who he was. How he was built.

"Goddamn it 'Liya," he grunted as he huffed and puffed, "Shit!"

Justin was a killer and Ace was a witness. He could seem soft and scared one moment and then vicious and violent the next. The kid was nothing special. When they had wrestled briefly days ago--he hadn't felt strong, he felt soft. He looked soft. Scared.

It hadn't stopped him then, it wouldn't stop him now. Ace knew that.

He couldn't see them--but he could hear them. The thundering thudding of footsteps, the distant, unintelligible screaming. Where in the fuck could they be in this stupid fuckin' village?! Fuck, they had just been there! In front of him!

He zagged and he zigged. His ears twitched and his pupil's dilated.

"Gotta get there, gotta find 'em," he muttered to himself as he ran, "Gotta get there, gotta find 'em..."

Mantra and ritual. Mind over matter. Repetition became muscle memory. If he believed it in his core, he could achieve it in his world.

"Gotta get there, gotta find 'em, shit," he breathed heavy, "Gotta get there, gotta find 'em..."

He gripped the shotgun tighter.

"Just to be safe, just to be safe, just to be safe," mantra's and meditations, fake it till you make it, "Before it's too late, before it's too late..."
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Finally, Justin stopped. It was inevitable really, he couldn't get away from her in a straight chase like that. Stamina wise she was just too much for him. She came around the side of a building and there he was, hunched over, hands resting on his knees. He was trying to say something between ragged breathes. She slowed, her breathing was also heavy. No matter how hard she tried it was still tough going. Sprinting around after eight days of the food she'd had to survive on combined with her knee injuries. It was depressing, she'd always loved running and here she was gassing after a short sprint.

She panted as she moved closer to Justin, chest rising and falling. Her ponytail hanging down her back.

"Stop...running man."
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

She wasn't listening.

Nobody listened. Justin wouldn't listen to himself in the same situation but he refused to admit it to himself for fear of realizing anybody else may have had a point, because that would mean rejecting everything he'd done so far. It couldn't be all for nothing. If it was... he was sure that would destroy him.

He lurched backwards to try and get any extra precious inches between himself and Aliya. His upper body went, but his feet didn't follow. He topped back, snapping his chin down to his collar to protect his head. The band of metal only allowed his chin to tuck so far and it pinched at a fold in his skin. He paid it no mind and practically didn't feel it, staring up at Aliya through widened eyes that burned from dryness.

The SMG pointed up wildly in her direction, supported only by his right hand as the left clawed dirt and pebbles next to his hip.

Get her away. Get her away.

He squeezed the trigger and almost as soon as he had, he let it go and collapsed back, smashing his elbow into the ground and digging back with that arm as well. The bullets released with loud pops were too close together to accurately count them but he thought he processed at least three.

And he stared at Aliya.

Still burned.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Justin lurched backward and fell.

Once he hit the ground the gun he carried came up.

There was nothing Aliya could do.

She felt the first impact into her chest but the others were too many and to close together. She was pitched to the ground, her body hitting hard and falling in a heap. As she lay there she opened and closed her left hand. It still had feeling and still responded to her instructions. So maybe it wasn't so bad. There was a chance she could still get up. She was strong, she could do it. All she needed was willpower, she could still move her body. She could still feel so she was still alive. It was a beautiful lie to hide a painful truth.

She was going to die. There was pain starting to radiate out from multiple cold spots in her chest and stomach. Her injuries would be severe even if they were back in Chattanooga, back where there were medical professionals who would be to try and help her. But out on an island, in the middle of nowhere? She was fucked.

Aliya hoped Maliheh and Meshia had stopped watching. The last thing she wanted was for them to have to watch their sister die. She hoped Alireza and her mom weren't watching either. They didn't need to see it. Anger started to bubble beneath the surface, outrage at her situation, at herself, and at Justin for shooting her. But she forced it down. She had been dumb and Justin was a scared kid. Despite all the time apart and everything they'd both done since he had run off, he was still the exact same person. A scared kid, spiraling out of control due to one bad decision.

"I..." Her first attempt at speaking was weak, barely qualifying as a whisper. She swallowed and tried again.

"I just wanted to talk."
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Oh.

Return to “East Housing”