Phantasm

Open!

The lake itself features a deck and boathouse, mainly for small single person vessels, although there is one rotten-looking wooden rowboat sitting inside. Typically used in the warmer summer months, the lake was the preferred location for many events including barbecues, parties, birthdays, and weddings. The lake also has a small island sitting in the middle of the water, featuring a small collection of trees along with a second wooden rowboat with a large hole in the side.

Thread limit: 2
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Abe stepped back as Jonah stepped outta the boat, keeping the gun trained on him, careful not to trip backwards or anything stupid like that. He hadn’t been shot already, and that was probably a good sign, he figured the most dangerous part of an encounter like that would be someone getting jumpy and forgetting all about the trigger discipline they’d never learned, like Abe probably would’ve done if he’d actually shot someone before.

So, that fun little accidental danger was past, and Jonah didn’t really seem like the type of guy who’d use killing as a first resort - but then again, it’s not like Abe really knew him, before or after, but his instincts weren’t kill bill sirening yet, and while he wasn’t sure how properly calibrated they were, Jonah was all smiles and niceties and trying to casually guilt trip him about the whole stealing thing, but the joke was on him, Abe wasn’t gonna feel the slightest shred of guilt until he won, and when that happening, well, the thrill of being alive would take the edge off of whatever he’d done to get there.

So, Jonah’s gun was down, that was good, and some rat-brained part of him was screaming for him to scoop it up and run, despite that being both insane and stupid, and it didn’t matter anyways, because he should’ve learned Lorenzo’s lesson and paid more attention to the basketball girl, Arizona. Well, Lorenzo hadn’t learned any lessons specifically about the basketball team, he didn’t think, but he had learned about what happened when you held someone at gunpoint, but there was someone else there, with a gun, who could hold you at gunpoint, whoops, this was bad.

“No, no no no, that’s not happening, sorry, no can do,” Abe said, eyes flicking back and forth between Jonah and the girl in the boat, speaking at about a hundred miles per centimeter. “Look, look, I wasn’t trying to start shit, it’s two on one, I’m not a dumbass, this was just muscle memory, sorry, but I’m not dropping the gun, ‘cause if I drop the gun you can do whatever you want with me, right?”

Sure, maybe if Abe had run into either of them alone, he would’ve sprung into some fun burglary action, but he still had enough food to last him comfortably for a day, two if he stretched it, definitely not worth the risk of fucking with a group. Right now his only concern was getting outta the whole situation.

His finger was on the trigger. Safety already off. His practice had gotten him pretty used to swiftly flicking that switch. “If you shoot me, I’ll shoot Jonah. I don’t want to do that, he seems like a pretty alright guy, y’know, and I figure you don’t want me to do that, either, and I really don’t wanna get shot, so how about you just let me back away so we can get back to the rest of our lives?”
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Jonah looked nervously from Abe to Arizona. He flexed his fingers, trying not to make any sudden movements. Abe's face looked like he'd gotten into some kind of confrontation at some point. His bag also looked kind of full, fuller than how the bags started out.

But then Jonah forgot his analysis and his nerves when he heard Abe say he seemed like an alright person.

"Aw, thank you," he said, his expression towards Abe softening for a moment before he noticed Arizona's face and tried to assume a defensive stance with his fists clenched by his chest.

What was he thinking of? Oh, right. The bag.

He'd stolen Jonah's bag from the scene of Beryl's death while they were all standing around trying to sort through the chaos, and he was trying to steal their supplies again through violence, or the threat of it, wasn't he?Had he robbed others? Would he rob others if they let him go?

Taking people's food and water was basically tantamount to murder; it was just slower.

"If we let him go, he's going to try this on someone else," he said to Arizona. "But if you shoot me, she'll shoot you," he said to Abe.

"Ummm.... uh..... what if we make him promise really really really hard not to steal from people?" he said, faltering towards the end of the suggestion. It was bad and he knew it and his body communicated both of those things with his shoulders slouching in defeat.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

They had a standoff. They had a standoff where Jonah was being used as leverage against her. Arizona hated it. As a result, she hated Abe. But he also had a point. He had a gun aimed at Jonah. That meant that he had the ability to shoot him whenever he saw fit. Meanwhile, there was nothing she could use against him. No matter what move she made, he had the advantage.

Jonah tried appealing to Abe. Arizona doubted that any promise they forced upon him would be broken as soon as it benefited him. Judging from what Jonah said, he had already been robbed by Abe once. Maybe that was how he was avoiding the announcements? Your name wouldn't appear if all you did was rob other people. It made sense as a plan. It meant you got to lie low until the end with a stash of supplies.

"He's not going to..." Arizona started as a response to Jonah. But she caught herself when she saw his face. Instead, she grimaced and returned her focus to Abe. She was certain that in any kind of straight confrontation she would be able to take him. But again, that wasn't the situation she was in and it wasn't her life at stake. Her eyes moved between Abe and Jonah, tracing the line from Abe's gun to Jonah's body.

Eventually, she sighed.

"We can't sit here all day." She began, gun still pointed at Abe. "How about we both lower our guns?"
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Goddamn this was stupid. Of Abe, mostly, this was a case where everything probably would’ve been fine if he hadn’t been a spring-loaded-gun-man, but things could definitely turn out fine, still, and there were loads of scenarios where him being ready to blammo at a moment’s notice would be a key element in things remaining fine, for him, so maybe he was just irked that his for-once innocent intentions were being misjudged?

“Jesus, I wasn’t fucking trying to do anything, can you blame a guy for being a lil’ jumpy after a week of all this, I’m not gonna shoot first, c’mon man.” His eye was doing a little twitchy thing that, combined with the cadence of his words, probably wasn’t making the others feel very safe, but Abe’d had a long day, alright, maybe the longest day of his life, and there was still a lot of day left to go, so, they’d have to fuckin’ deal.

He almost burst out laughing at Jonah’s suggestion, though, ‘cause even that guy seemed to realize how comedic it was. If his hands had been free Abe woulda pinky sworn with him just for that extra bit of insincerity. Instead he just snorted a little.

Arizona was talking sense, at least, but was she talking innocence? That probably wasn’t grammatically correct but, y’know, cence, sense, Abe thought that approached clever, so that justified everything in the entire world.

“Yeah, yeah, alright, count of three, lower our guns nice and slow, sounds alright by me, then we can have a nice tea party or just fuck off, whatever.”
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Mmhmm," he said nodding vigorously at Arizona's suggestion and Abe's agreement. Abe still didn't seem super at ease though so Jonah made a mental note to not make any sudden movements or loud noises.

"See, we're all friends. Well.... mmm... acquaintances? People who don't want to murder each other," he finally settled on. He wanted to ask Abe about Darlene and Max, but it felt selfish. This was a person who was obviously not doing well, but had conceded to lower his weapon. That meant he wasn't so far gone. He felt in his heart for this person just seeing how tightly wound he was, despite what he'd done before.

"You OK? Do you need anything?" he offered.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Both guns lowered. Jonah was no longer in danger. Arizona took the chance to stand up and step out of the boat. She was still angry with Abe. He could claim he hadn't been intending to rob them as much as he liked. He'd still pulled a gun on two people lying in a boat and there was only a small list of things that required you to point a gun at someone. So despite the fact he had lowered his gun, she didn't trust him. He had already robbed Jonah once. Both of them admitted it. Jonah for his part was doing what he always did. He played peacekeeper. The universal friend. He was too friendly and nice. Arizona was constantly glad she had found him so early. There was a good chance someone could have taken advantage of his kindness.

Still, she appreciated him. He was a good person and he cared about others. So it wasn't surprising that he was trying to help Abe. Arizona just didn't know if it was a good idea. It was, however, better than having a standoff with him. She couldn't argue that point. Keeping her focus on Abe, Arizona sat on the edge of the boat. Resting her forearms on her thighs, Quinn's gun still held loosely in hand. She was happy to let Jonah take the lead. He was better with people than she was.

So she sat, watched, and made sure Abe didn't do anything stupid.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Cool, cool, Abe hadn’t wanted either of the two kids to be his one, well, Jonah more than Arizona, but he didn’t have anything against that state, and he definitely didn’t wanna be their one, so they all got to be a nice healthy zero together, right? Maybe the smart thing to do would’ve been to leave immediately but, nothing wrong with a bit of boat-cooler chit chat.

Maybe he felt a bit guilty about what he’d done to Jonah, like, not that guilty, he hadn’t done like any genuine harm, right, he just got the bonus faster, he got a plus he didn’t make a minus, y’know, but nothing wrong with trying to leave on better terms this time, right? Had to have something to help him sleep at night other than knowing he was gonna win.

“Doing just fine, thanks, I mean if you wanted to make a generous donation I wouldn’t say no, haha, but I’m carrying my best bud’s best bud’s bag with me, so I’ll probably be able to last just fine for a while, gonna go fuck off and live in the woods for a while, y’know? Have myself a nice little camping trip.”
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Arizona looked at Jonah.

Jonah looked at Arizona.

Things seemed fine?

He smiled at her and gave her a thumbs up.

He turned back to Abe when he spoke again and lips drew into a thin line of concern.

"Your best friend's bag?" he asked softly. He thought about when he heard that Abel had died and how shocking and upsetting that was. He was still upset, but it had become a sort of painful fact to live with rather than sudden and painful piercing he felt at the time. Sure, it was possible that maybe Abe had just stolen from his best friend like he'd stolen from Jonah and therefore his best friend could be perfectly fine, albeit light a bag. Or maybe Abe was being sarcastic and it was just a rando's bag.

"Where's your best bud then?"
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

The situation calmed down and no one ended up shooting. That was good. Arizona watched Abe and Jonah closely, more so Abe. She was still sore over him holding Jonah at gunpoint. Despite that, she wasn't going to say or do anything further. For one thing, Jonah had said he was fine. She wasn't about to go against what he said. If he trusted Abe that meant she trusted Abe, to a degree at least. The second reason was that Abe was clearly rattled. Maybe that was a generous way to describe it. He was a mess.

She felt sorry for him in a way. The way he spoke and the way he described the bag he was carrying told a story. None of the conclusions she could draw were positive. Combined with his general jumpiness and even she could figure out what had likely happened. It certainly helped explain why he had approached them the way he did. Not that he was excused for that. But it allowed her to understand his thought process better.

Jonah gave her a thumbs up that she returned with a slight smile from where she was sat. Then he turned back to Abe and asked the inevitable question. Arizona waited for the boys' response. Her fingers tightening on Quinn's gun. Just in case the question brought on an extreme reaction.

She thought she'd pieced together a part of Abe's story. Now she got to see if she was right.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Oh no, Abe’d gone and done it, that was a concerned voice, a sympathetic voice, and who the hell asked for any of that, huh? If Abe accepted any of Jonah’s kindness, well, maybe it’d feel nice, but that’d mean the kindness was inside him, if he accepted it, and it’d become a part of him, however small, however brief, and that just wasn’t the way things worked anymore, the only thing kindness had going for it was that it made the losers feel better about their imminent deaths.

“Hey man, I said my best bud’s best bud’s bag, the distinction’s important, ‘cause like I’m not happy that Andy’s in the woods over there,” he gestured vaguely with his non-gun hand at the trees around them, “with a stick through his eye, but I’m not crying myself to sleep over it either.”

He could just leave it at that. He should just leave it at that. But, well, when the hell had Abe ever done what he should?

“But to answer your question, well, Lorenzo gave Axel a little love tap on the head so now he’s gonna be sleeping it off in the aviary ‘till the fucking ocean rises up to swallow this island, but it’s cool, we’re all cool, it’s fine,” Abe said, all nervous energy and dry eyes and trying very hard not to let his voice crack.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Oh. Your best bud's....best bud...." he said slowly. "I guess I just thought you stuttered. I wouldn't call attention to that, you know?" he said smiling.

Then Abe revealed that at the very least two people close to him were recently killed. He was someone so clearly in pain who was trying to claw at them so they wouldn't get close.

"Of course it is," he said smoothly. "Here, one sec." Jonah went back to his bag and took out a meal bar and walked back to Abe and held it out.

"We've got too much anyway."

Jonah knew he wouldn't accept something like a hug from him, even if that's probably what he needed. He was kind of like a skittish animal that had been abandoned. He wanted love, but he didn't trust people. The meal bar wasn't really because Abe needed the food or because Jonah had too much. It was just a way to safely say, "I'm sorry. I see you. I care."
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Shit, Abe’s previous metaphor had gotten a lot more literal, because the kindness was now in the form of a meal bar that would literally be inside of him if he ate it, but it was a thing, and he was like, all about things, that you could carry physically with you in a bag, he had in fact focused a lot of his concentration for the past week towards the acquisition of things. This wasn’t a decision. This wasn’t a big deal or a marriage proposal or whatever, it was a meal bar. He could just take the meal bar and run.

But, well, maybe this’d be the last time he didn’t have to run away from someone, or like, run away by running them off the mortal cliff, and maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to react like a human instead of a winner for five seconds, right?

Hesitantly, he reached out and took the bar from Jonah, half-expecting it to be a trick, that he’d hold on tight to it and pull him off-balance somehow, and then Arizona’d be there with a gun, and his gun wouldn’t be up, and bang bang, but none of that happened, because there were people in the world who weren’t like Abe, sucked to be them, haha.

If he looked the guy in the eyes or even his smile he’d probably cry, like an idiot whose mental game was way off from where it needed to be. Abe stared into the dirt, instead.

“Hey, you’re probably the nicest guy that’s still alive around here, so try to keep it that way, alright?” This was ‘thank you’ adjacent in his books, books he definitely needed to get around to burning, because even that was too friendly, but he’d already committed to being an acceptable human being for the duration of this interaction, so, tough shit.

“Bye forever.” Abe said, because seeing Jonah ever again would be worse for both of them. He looked up for just a second, smiled at him slightly for just a second, then turned around to get out of there.

((Shockingly enough, they didn’t shoot him in the back.))
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Abe reluctantly the bar from his hands and looked away from him. Jonah bit his lip and looked on, eyebrows drawn together.

He said that Jonah was the nicest guy left and Jonah thought that that couldn't be true. There must be others. He wanted to say it wasn't true because he had obviously helped plan the murder of a classmate, even if she deserved it. The fact that he would do it again and thought she deserved it meant he had to be disqualified. The fact that he didn't trust himself not to do something violent and swift -- before he could even think about it -- if he saw Paloma should disqualify him.

"Bye forever," he echoed back. Abe smiled at him and it was a smile that hurt Jonah. He smiled in probably the same way, which he imagined hurt Abe back. But he'd been right about him back on day one. At heart, Abe was a good kid. Jonah mushed his face in his hands for a moment, trying to rub the melancholy off before turning back to Arizona.

"That's that, I guess," he said, attempting a nonchalant shrug.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

The rest of the day passed without anything that the ordinary person would call remarkable.

Arizona and Jonah decided to stay in one location rather than to try and find shelter elsewhere. Maybe if they stayed in one spot, one of the people Jonah hoped would find them finally would. The couple sat with their backs against their row boat and took inventory of all of their items. All of their food, all of their weapons, all of the ammunition, and all of their medical supplies.

The necklace that Jonah had given Arizona twinkled gently in the midday sun as she helped him to get all his first aid items back in the box from which he'd dumped it. He munched on a few errant lucky charms marshmallows as they did their work. It turned out that they had quite a lot of food. They checked on each other's wounds and re-bandaged what needed re-bandaging.

Night fell and Jonah couldn't sleep, possibly due to the sugar intake from the Lucky Charms. They sat by their boat, which now held all their neatly organized bags. Jonah sat behind Arizona braiding her hair as best he could. Occasionally the wind would rustle the leaves of the trees and disturb the glass surface of their pond. As his fingers worked, they brushed slightly against the back of her neck.

"Um," he said suddenly, blush hidden by the dark of the night. His fingers contracted into his palm slightly, feeling the nervous energy of having touched her. "My heart hurts," he mumbled. "I like you," he said a little louder.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

She was right, to a degree. Then Abe left without any incident. What were the chances of them meeting again? Arizona imagined it was slim. She hadn't seen anyone she had previously met on the island. She didn't expect Abe would end up breaking that pattern. Not with how jumpy he was. It seemed more likely he'd pull his gun on the wrong person. And that would be that.

"I guess so," Arizona said in response to Jonah, eyes still following Abe as his figure receded into the distance.

"And I guess They-" Arizona stopped as Jonah suddenly spoke up.

They had spent the rest of the day getting everything in order. Abe had gone and they'd seen no one else. Her face still ached from the cuts inflicted by Quinn. But Jonah had tended to them again. Meanwhile, she had taken care of his own wounds. Their bags were reorganized and they'd eaten. It was arguable that they had wasted a day. But it was also the first full day they'd had together.

Jonah mumbled something and she tilted her head up and back to look at him.

"Huh?"

He said he liked her.

Arizona would have liked to think she was cool enough to play it off. But just like a lifetime ago when they were going to prom. She had to remind herself.

Stay cool. Breathe.

She turned her head back to the position it had been in, closed her eyes and smiled. Reaching up with her right hand she took hold of his own.

"You said you loved me earlier," She started, the smile still firmly in place. "Have you changed your mind?"

She made sure her voice was inquisitive, playful.

Her hand squeezed his.

Return to “The Lake”