I'm telling these tears, go and fall away, fall away

Private, pre Day 6 announcements

The gardens run from the leadership houses to the entrance of the manor house and formerly featured many winding paths, freshly cut grass, and an array of exotic plants from around the world. In the time since the community left the island, however, these features have all fallen into disuse. The grass is long and unkempt, and if one was to walk the paths they would have to step over many overgrown plants and debris that litter them or block the way. The other highly noticeable thing is that the gardens themselves have become overrun by devil's ivy which was introduced to the island by the leadership, who did not realize it was an invasive species.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Tanisha scratched the side of her neck as Angie spoke. Angie wasn't sure about whether Nikki's death was intentional or not. She just hoped it wasn't. That was as much as Tanisha could hope here as well. She couldn't imagine the thought process that leads to that decision, but she imagined it was a lot more easily charted in a situation like Survival Of The Fittest.

"Yeah, I hope not."

Angie asked about their week.

"Well, it hasn't been very good," Tanisha explained. "Every group or partnership I've been in has fallen apart. I saw Cammy fall off a cliff due to Lorenzo and Jeff fighting and Arjen getting in the mix of it. I guess Arjen died sometime after that. Then Ned and I were attacked by Justin and Quinn, and I saw Ned die in front of me. Then I lost Tom, and I guess he's dead now too. And then Nikki wandered off. Shauna's the only person to stick with me longer than a day."

Tanisha sighed, and adjusted the shotgun in her hands, grabbing it with both hands, but keeping it pointed away from both girls.

"So now we're just trying to find Adele and anyone else we can think of. Try to keep them safe now that some people are getting more and more kills. We can help you too, if you'd like. You know, ladies stick together and all that."

Tanisha looked to Shauna and Angie.

"At the very least, we have the firepower to-"

*BANG*

Firepower didn't mean much right then. Tanisha could feel a hot, searing pain in her side. She cried out and fell to the ground, landing on her uninjured hip.

Tanisha tried to glance to her side, to where the pain was coming from. She screamed. There was a hole in her dress, and a red liquid was starting to stain her dress and leg.

"Oh god no!" she cried out, her jaw starting to quiver.

It looked like the game finally caught up to her again.
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

"Ohfuckohfuckohfuck-"

Angie wasn't crying anymore.

There was this one thing about fear that made Angie violent. It wasn't something that she ever talked about, but it was a known thing. She wasn't to be messed with on Halloween because her first instinct was to punch out someone than to run away. Which was why she was banned from half of the haunted houses and the others would just deny her entrance.

So being shot at just made Angie violent. Problem, she didn't have her gun anymore and Tanisha had a hole in her chest.

"Fuck off, Quinn." She pulled out the grenade and threw it on the ground. "Fuck off!"

The light blue smoke surrounded the girls. Were they safe inside the cloud? Angie's lungs were burning but it was better than having lead in them.

"Come on, just let's-"

The bullets were whistling and whizzing at them.

"Fuck," her hand grabbed the skinny basketball girl and give her slight shove toward the nearest cover.

"I g-got this." The girl raised her gun and fired. Once. Because that's all it took for her to fall on her ass. Angelina squinted. Well, at least she was safe from the gun shots on the ground?

Angie turned around and she rushed toward Tanisha. She was in the open, wounded and probably fucking pissed. Angie felt like she already seen this happen, and for some reason, that just made her feel even more sick.

"Yo," another bullet whistled at her, "we have to take fucking cover, let me help you."
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

As soon as she saw the characteristic puff of red mist burst from Tanisha’s side, Erika drew her aim to the others. The silhouettes she saw ahead were armed, more well armed than the rest of the people she’d attacked. Taking those guns out of the equation made the two of them the main targets.

Once they were down, she’d salvage what she could and remove the firing pins in the rest of them. There was no need to obviously destroy them. Without key components, they were no better than a stick one might find in the jungle. Giving people a false sense of confidence would make them easier targets.

Her mind was working three steps ahead of her hands, which guided the crosshair to the other two. She didn’t recognize them as anything more than silhouettes, and didn’t need to. It was like back in the Infirmary, against the wall. It was like it was on the bluff near the lookout. Erika receded into the back of her own mind, letting muscle memory and instinct take over. Somewhere in her mind she was screaming, and she couldn’t tell if it was a battle cry or an expression of despair. It didn’t matter right now.

In this world, the only sounds came from her gun, the ringing in her ears, the screaming of the people on the other end. Every movement precise, voluntary. Not thinking - reacting. She meant to do this.

A voice cried out ahead, though not in pain. Shouting something about Quinn. Erika winced, trying not to think about that person and what they’d done and whether she cared that they knew who was shooting at them. Her attention drew down to a small steel cylinder that landed on the ground ahead. Erika slid back behind the stone planter, bracing for what she thought might be an explosion. The sound of the canister fizzling brought her back out from cover, where she noted the blue smoke. Simultaneously relieved and frustrated, she brought her rifle to bear.

Smart move.

Erika gritted her teeth and fired back in the direction of the others, watching her crosshair dance over the silhouettes in the smoke with the recoil. There was no world beyond what she saw through the scope.

Not until she heard pieces of the stone planter explode outward, shattered stone littering the ground around her as another booming report erupted through the Inner Circle. They were shooting back.

Erika dove back behind cover, spitting out the dust she’d breathed in. Her heart raced, willpower struggling against the mortal threat that lay just ahead. The smoke had ruined the ambush, given them enough time to get to cover. If Tanisha got back up, Erika knew she’d be outgunned.

Whether they could out-shoot her was another matter entirely. They only needed to get lucky once.

I don’t need luck.

She knew she was no coward.

I will face this.

She was a survivor.

This is mine alone. I mean to do this.

Anything that moved in her line of sight, she would make still. Anything she could hear, she would silence. Either she won, or she dragged whoever was left screaming into the void with her. There was no other option. Erika leaned back out from cover, and kept firing.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Tanisha winced as the pain surged through her body. She could hear Angie was shouting, but she wasn't entirely sure what it was she was saying. She may have heard Quinn's name thrown around, which would have really sucked if Quinn was the phantom that was going to end Tanisha's life. It did seem like something supernatural was going on otherwise, as now blue smoke was filling the place it.

She could hear people running and shouting, and it sounded like Angie was shouting at her. Tanisha gritted her teeth and rolled onto her knees.

"Yeah! Let's go!" she shouted at Angie as she pushed herself off the ground.

Tanisha felt her bag drop behind her as she tried to run towards the nearest cover. There was still gunfire, so she tried to move as fast as her legs would let her. She readied the shotgun as she moved behind the cover where Angie and Shauna had hurried to. Tanisha didn't have much to do on the island when she wasn't walking, so she tried to read the manual on the shotgun over and over so that she'd be able to use it if the time came. There hadn't been any time to practice, so it looked like she was gonna have to dance without much rehearsal. See it, read it, then do it.

"Fuck off, you wannabe bad bitch!" she shouted in the direction of the killer.

She raised the shotgun and fired. It was really loud, and had quite the kick. Worse, Tanisha felt it in her bullet wound. She lowered herself behind the cover and kept the gun out of range, crying a bit and touching the wound.

She could see her hand was too red for her liking. Blood was still coming out of the wound. She could feel her breathing increase. Tanisha gulped and exhaled. This was it, wasn't it? Shot to death in a garden by some murderous asshole? That was definitely not the end Tanisha saw for herself. At least she'd die with friends.

Wait, that wasn't good. Tanisha was fucked, but Shauna and Angie still had a chance. Tanisha looked over to the two girls, then back at her wound, then back to the gun.

"Angie. Shauna," Tanisha said. "Y'all need to go. I'll try to stop them, but you two need to just go. I'll start firing, and then you two get as far from here as you can."

She gave them a small smile.

"I'll give them a real fight if that's what they want."
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

"No, I'm not fucking leaving you."

Her hands went immediately to Tanisha's wound. It was red. So fucking red and wet and slick, it made Angie's queasy. Meilin looked the same, a fat hole in her guts that Angie couldn't soak up with her.

"I'm not-"

Another bullet. This time a little bit too close to comfort. It landed straight into the vase next to Angie's head. She ducked, trying to put her head inside of her body like a turtle. Angie knew she had to make herself as small as possible but Tanisha was doing the opposite.

Shauna, on the other end of the garden, managed to stood back up. She locked the gun into her shoulder and looked back the two girls through the smoke. She shook her head. Her eyes were telling a story. Something about seeing this happen once or twice or more, something about fear but also courage. She pulled the trigger again. This time, not falling.

"Tanisha, I'm not letting Katrina be the fucking dance prez over you," Angie smiled with sadness in her eyes. "No fucking way baby, you're it."

She bit her cheeks to stop herself from crying. She couldn't cry in front of Tanisha. If she did, everything would fall apart. She couldn't afford that. She couldn't afford that, again.
Namira

Post by Namira »

The kick was brutal. One of the hardest hits Shauna had ever had. Worse than a hard foul on the court or that time she'd clattered into the stands. She thought it might break her shoulder.

Second time, she stayed on her feet. She stayed on her feet.

Her breath came in snatches, cold sweat breaking out all over. Her eyes flicked around, roving wildly across the smoke. Was it really Quinn? Maybe.

She wanted to say that she wasn't going to be afraid again, but that would be a lie. She was terrified.

But she could be scared and not run. She wouldn't run.
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

The smoke made every shot a guess. Erika’s assault became increasingly desperate as she shot at anything that might’ve resembled a human silhouette in the vicinity of the others. The only things that told her she was still on target were the periodic shotgun blasts emanating from inside the smoke, casting vortices of hot gas towards her with every shot.

She heard buckshot whizzing overhead, beside her, all around. Some of it tore chunks out of the nearby hedges, others slammed into the stone planter and littered more shards of rock on the ground nearby. Every impact brought to mind what it might do if it hit her. She knew well just how quickly she could be rent to pieces by twisting shards of hot lead.

It was terrifying. It was fair. She'd made so many others feel this way, there was no reason to feel sorry for herself that she'd ended up here. Not when she'd put so many others in this position. Not when she was the aggressor. This was no place for humanity, no place for remorse.

It just had to be done. They used implements far more brutal and effective than claws or teeth, but it was no less as vicious and cruel as any other conflict between creatures desperate to survive.

And she would survive. She had to. Counting twenty rounds, Erika dropped the empty magazine and loaded another. Hopefully her opponents didn't realize their opening to press an advantage. As quickly as she'd done so when she was fighting for fractions of a second on a scoreboard, Erika charged a fresh round into the chamber of her rifle and resumed the attack, aiming for anything she could see moving through the blue smoke.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Tanisha winced again and felt her eyes start to water up. Angie didn't want to leave her behind. Tanisha knew that made Angie a good friend, but that was exactly why Tanisha needed her to go as far from there as possible. If she could do one last good thing while on Earth, it was to at least ensure that Shauna and Angie got out of here alive.

"Don't worry," Tanisha told Angie. "Katrina could never replace me. I'm Beyonce-levels of irreplaceable."

Tanisha checked the gun again. She didn't have much ammo on her, but if she could get back to her bag, she could get some more to use against the assailant.

"Look, just find Adele, and tell her I love her. And if any of you get back home, tell my family I love them too."

Tanisha looked over to where the attacker was supposedly hiding.

"Just remember to look out for one another. And don't forget me at my best. Don't forget there was a big beautiful bitch named Tanisha Abbey here."

Tanisha cocked the gun.

"Cause I'm about to make sure this motherfucker remembers me too."

With that, Tanisha pushed off the ground. She ran out from behind cover and into the smoky area, keeping the gun raised in front of her. It was still painful as hell to do all of the previous actions, but Tanisha was sure the surge of adrenaline could keep her going for some time.

"Come at me!"
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

Angie stood there.

Her words didn't reach Tanisha.

Or they did. She couldn't know. Perhaps her words solidified the girl's decision. Angie couldn't know, and she would never know, because Tanisha was going to her death. She felt like she was choking on her saliva and she wanted to scream at Tanisha to come back.

But she was too far gone, both physically and mentally. The distance between Angie and Tanisha made it so the girls couldn't see each others because of the smoke and the obstacles in the way. Tanisha was screaming, taunting the shooter. It was stupid. She was getting herself killed.

For what?

To save Angie and basketball girl? That was stupid and useless. A death that wasn't needed for the grand scheme of things. She wanted to scream at her to come back but she didn't want to become a target of the shooter.

Angie rushed to the tall girl. Angie decided she'd be selfish, and that she would stop Tanisha from killing herself.

"Hey, we need to do something," Angie grabbed the girl's arm, "we need to stop her from killing herself."
Namira

Post by Namira »

"Tanisha!"

She'd ran off into the smoke, making it clear what she expected to happen. No, Shauna couldn't let--Shauna had just got done saying she was going to watch Tanisha's back and then that was it? She was going to run off and fucking die straight away!? That wasn't fair, that wasn't right. Shauna couldn't let that happen. She couldn't.

She raised the shotgun again, hesitated. If she fired now she could hit Tanisha in the back, which would be the perfect crowner to this whole thing. A full Shauna move. At least she had enough about herself to think that much.

Someone grabbed her, she gave a startled yelp. Oh, oh okay. Angie. Right. Okay.

She nodded.

"Tanisha!"
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

She touched off a few rounds, but stopped as she realized nothing was leaving the smoke. The grenade was still churning out the coloured gas, and the Gardens were now almost entirely covered in a thick haze. Crouched on the edge, Erika could barely make out the spot where she’d seen the others.

If they fled, she ought to do the same. Giving chase might just lead into a trap. Then again, she’d expended at least fifteen rounds so far in the attempt. Giving up now would’ve been a waste.

A waste?

Like everything else here it was a matter of callous arithmetic. She only had so much ammunition, and no guarantee that she could make every round count. Getting shot here was a death sentence given the environment and the lack of proper care. It wasn’t quick, though. With supplies dwindling every day they remained here, there wasn’t that much time to wait.

Erika spotted a bag on the ground, in between her position and where she assumed the others were. Of course. The girl she’d hit had dropped it taking cover. She saw the distinctive profile of a Browning Auto-5, shorter than any she’d seen before. That meant the bag had to have at least some shells, depending on how many the girl had used. When this was all over, there might be a backup waiting for her. Something better in close quarters, lest she find herself in a situation like the Infirmary again.

Her eyes narrowed, and Erika froze in place as she heard shouting ahead, followed by a disturbance in the smoke. It should’ve been an easy shot to make, someone charging at her. If she hadn’t been so focused on the bag, if she’d thought to just stay in cover, to be patient, maybe she would’ve made it.

As things stood, thunder and fury and lead erupted from the haze and sent Erika scrambling, only firing back out of sheer reflex. A white-hot spike of pain erupted from her calf, her leg buckling out from under her. The unmistakable feeling of blood rushing down her ankle sent Erika into a panic, and she frantically stumbled back behind the stone planter, almost tripping over the rubble that had been blasted around the area.

Shot on a tropical island, with no medical care. A death sentence.

Erika looked down, horrified to see the neat hole punched through her jeans into her left calf. Her arms trembled, the heavy sniper rifle feeling less and less like a lifeline as the seconds wore on. It wasn’t a dead-on hit. If it had been, she might not have had a leg to stand on. It was bad enough already, though. A single lead ball, now wrapped tightly in the flesh of her leg. Slowing her down. Bleeding her. Killing her.

Rage and fear blended together far beyond the point of telling either apart. Erika shouted back at Tanisha, spitting expletives back at her. The high of adrenaline only barely kept the pain at bay.

“Step to me then, bitch! You’ve fucking earned this, now!”

Erika cried out as she stood up, willing herself through the pain and her subconscious certainty that the next shot to come would end her.

She had the advantage of range, of weaponry, of experience, but it only counted for so much. All anyone else needed to be was lucky. That wasn’t what she’d rely on now. Erika gritted her teeth as fresh needles of pain stabbed up her leg with every move. There was another advantage, one she’d not considered until now, as she thought back to how many rounds she had left in her magazine. Fifteen.

Boxy profile. Auto-5. Old-timey. Long-Recoil. Five shells, max. Four in the tube, one in the chamber.

It was enough to compel her to turn the corner, and take aim.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Tanisha fired the gun again. She was hearing screaming from all directions. From behind, she knew Angie and Shauna were yelling for her to come back. From ahead, she heard the assassin crying out from pain. Tanisha must have hit her. That should surely give Angie and Shauna enough time to leave, and if Tanisha was lucky, she could remove a dangerous person from the island.

Step to me then, bitch! You’ve fucking earned this, now!

Now Tanisha had a face to the voice and gunshots. Erika Stiglitz. The chick with the name like that one Nazi Killer in that movie. Probably fancied herself like that motherfucker too.

"You bet I've earned it, Stiglitz!" Tanisha yelled, moving behind a piece of cover and firing another shot before she crouched down. "I'm sure you're feeling like a bad bitch by becoming a serial killer, well guess what? I'm a bigger, badder bitch than you'll ever be, and this big-ass gun's gonna give me the big dick energy I need to stop your bullshit!"

Tanisha winced again. It was fun to shout insults back, but now while Tanisha was bleeding to death. She had to get this over with as soon as possible.

"I'm gonna be the last bitch you kill here, so let's dance! If a dumb white bitch like you can even dance!"

Tanisha crouched up and fired again, shooting a few rounds in Erika's direction. She was prepared to keep firing, but then she heard a click.

"Shit," she muttered to herself. She was out already. She definitely ran out way faster than she expected.

Tanisha quickly looked around. Her bag was still nearby, along with the rest of the ammo for her gun. She'd probably have one good chance to run out and get it.

"Alright," she muttered to herself. "Now I need some of that big dick energy to make me run like Flo Jo. Let's go."

She paused, and then began to sprint.
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

Her words only barely registered through the gunfire, Erika knowing what Tanisha was trying to do. Build herself up, and make Erika blink. The pain in her leg kept her in focus, waiting for the moment to strike. When the firing stopped, Erika took a shuddering breath.

The bag was her only chance. They both knew it.

Tanisha wasn't going to get that chance.

Stepping out from cover, Erika led Tanisha's silhouette through the scope of the rifle as the girl ran, and fired as soon as she was only a few steps away from her bag. Erika kept leading the target as she fell to the ground, and fired again just to make sure.

Thirteen.

The haze still hid the others from Erika's sight, but now there was a point of focus. Something that might lure the others out of cover, like Julien had done.

After ending up on the receiving end of the shotgun, it lured Erika in too. Too tempting of a prize to just leave alone. That, and Tanisha. After what she'd accomplished, and what it might lead to down the line - Erika needed her to die. More than just a matter of callous arithmetic, more than another heart that had to stop for hers to keep going, there was something vindictive. Something that hated. Something that knew she didn't deserve to think all of these lives were worth less altogether than her own.

There was little else on her mind as she shuffled towards the other girl's fallen form, grimacing as she endured every step. The smoke was beginning to clear, and she kept an eye on the spot where the others might've been. If they stood up, she had to be fast. If Tanisha got back up, she had to be fast.

Shuddering at the pain in her leg, knowing it was only going to get worse as her adrenaline ebbed and faded, Erika wished she'd been faster.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Tanisha now started to wish she put more effort into cardio. She was healthier than most big girls due to her dance training, but man did she wish she had the nerve to go jogging every morning like a housewife instead of sleeping an extra hour or so. This was the sprint that would save her or end her, and she needed to be as quick as possible if she was going to get the bag and get to cover.

Instead, she felt another sharp sting in her chest. She tripped and fell to the ground, dropping the Big Dick Energy Shotgun to the ground. Before she could pull herself up, she felt another shot hit her. Tanisha cried out and stayed on the ground. She tried to look down and see where the injuries were coming from. Aside from the shot before, she could see one shot hit her stomach, while the other was close to her other kidney. The pain was definitely much worse than before, and now she was certain she was at her end. Erika had hit her in all the places to take the energy out of her.

"Fuck," she muttered. "Should have gone on a diet. Skinny bitches probably last longer here."

Tanisha rolled onto her side as she heard footsteps approaching. She could see a limping figure coming through the smoke. Erika. Tanisha saw the injury to the girl's calf and found a smile starting to appear on her face. She failed to stop Erika, but she definitely wrecked that girl's chances of leaving this place after killing so many people. Someone would stop her. Maybe it'd be Angie or Shauna. Maybe it'd be Adele. Maybe it'd be Jeff. Hell, maybe Quinn could do them all a solid and take her out. Whoever it was, Tanisha could just help them out from beyond the grave, even if it was just this much.

"Hehehe," she chuckled as Erika approached.

Tanisha rolled onto her back. If she was gonna die now, she wanted to at least see the sky through the smoke. Better than seeing the bitch who killed her.

"You won't forget me, Erika. You'll think of me every time your leg gives you pain," she said to Erika. "Enjoy the rest of your life, bitch."

Tanisha continued to chuckle. It hurt to laugh, but dammit, she was never going to leave this world unless she was laughing. She told herself that back when her mom died, and she was glad she could at least keep one promise in the end.

G025 Tanisha Abbey: Deceased
88 students remaining
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

Erika stared down at Tanisha, unable to summon up a retort as the other girl chuckled her last breaths away.

Laughing.

Smiling.

Defiant.

She’d be lucky to die like that. Eyes watery and lip quivering from the pain, she could only utter a meek, stifled reply.

“I won’t.”

Erika fell to her good knee, as bending the other was an exercise in masochism. There was no time to check and see if there even were shells in her bag, or whether the gun hadn’t just jammed instead of running dry. Whether this was even worth the time. It had to be secured, in her hands or at the bottom of a cliff or waterfall. Anywhere but pointed at her again. Struggling with the zipper on Tanisha’s bag, she then grabbed the shotgun by its still-hot barrel and frantically jammed it in next to the other girl’s possessions.

There was no time for any of this, not while she knew that twisted chunk of lead would be cutting a worse path through her calf muscle with every movement. Each drop of blood was a greater loss than any packet of dry crackers or half-empty water bottle. Each spasm of pain was another chance for someone to get lucky, to get the jump on her.

I’ve been shot. I’ve been fucking shot. They don’t need luck.

The others were still out there. Past the smoke. Hiding, waiting for her to drop her guard. Waiting for her to turn to run. She could only guess what they’d do when they saw what she had done to their friend.

Could I stop them?

Thirteen bullets. Of course she could. Thirteen more before she had to reload, if she landed every hit.

Twenty-two rounds for Tanisha. Nine pellets in a shotgun shell. One in her leg. Eight would’ve been the end of everything.

Ten. They all had friends. Some had family here.

They were coming for her. Right now. Later. Forever.

Up.

Erika tried to stand, only to lose her footing and fall back down again. She heard a crack as the gun landed on the ground. Finger on the trigger, another blast from the rifle erupted into the air.

Twelve.

Agony bred poor trigger discipline. She laughed at her predicament, like Tanisha had. Like she used to, when things were normal. Another attempt got her back to her feet, and shambling backwards away from the garden.

“Come after me, you die! Got it?”

She laughed again, a neurotic cackle that came more from the pain in her leg than her throat. It sounded like an empty threat, even if it wasn’t. It sounded ridiculous. It wasn't her. Threatening people wasn’t something she was used to. Killing people shouldn’t have been. It was. This was her now. This was who she'd always been.

come after me. don’t come after me. make this stop. i don’t want it all to end.

She fired warning shots as she fled. To her horror, she could no longer see through the scope.

“I’m not - not dying on this fucking island!

Eleven. Ten. Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Five.

She could only guess how many more it was going to take.

((Erika Stieglitz continued in No Hell But The One We Made))

Return to “The Gardens”