In Which I Say Who My Favorite Of Your Living V7 Characters Is

This is the critique board, suggested by Outfoxd. Come here to request critiques and critique the work of others. The goal of this board is to be a respectful environment conducive to the improvement of writing skills.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Shiola wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:14 am Hmm...

Me, me, pick me!
Erika Stieglitz is my favorite of your cast for a few reasons. One of the things that impresses me, especially with a character who has a very solid personality and an already well-developed arc in Pregame, is when they manage to feel natural to that arc and development, remain proactive in their in-game actions, and yet still be highly unpredictable. Erika has that going in spades right now. There are some elements of her journey to date that have been suggestive to me of something dangerous brewing under the surface, particularly in the secrecy regarding her motives at various points and in some of her more surprising actions. At the same time, there have been some really great points of brilliant, shining humanity; her encounter with and musing about shared history between her and Garnett stands out, as does her decision to come to Hel's aid when she could've walked away just as easily as she turned from someone who means a lot more to her.
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

hi nerd give me compliments
[+] v7
[+] Michael Froese
Michael Froese - The story of an identity; the story of a matador; the story of a liar; the story of a junkie; the story of a very special frog; the story of a jackal; the story of an oscillator; the story of a ghost; the story of the death of an author; the story of a bunch of other stuff.

THREADS!

PREGAME: Mad world - This...this felt nice. - Michael was incredibly disappointed in himself for actually agreeing to go do something with Beryl. - He wasn't actually all that sorry. - Part of him was worried his real motivation wasn't self-torturing altruism but instead the fact that it was one of the few things that still made him feel.

ISLAND:
Michael and all of his friends were going to be footnotes in a history textbook. - he was folding in on himself like a four-dimensional object in three-dimensional space - Everything was about pain, fear, and love. - "Gave them our reactions, our explosions, all that was ours; For graphs of passion, and charts of stars." - He had a duty to look into someone's eyes as he killed them. - Closure really did sound like nothing at all. - "I wish we were lovers, but it's for the best." - Michael Froese the award-winning murderer. That was who he was now. - "I wanted to lose myself." - "Good and bad, all roads lead to Rome and I just, it hurts too much to be a good person." - "Somewhere out there in the deep blue sea, there's this whale." - "...It's harder to be yourself than it is to be anybody else." - "The neighbors, they adored him for his humor and his conversation. Look underneath the house there, find the few living things, rotting fast in their sleep; oh, the dead," - He gave her a big hug. He buried his head in her shoulder, feeling her cold, spongy, rubbery skin against his forehead. She had no eyes. She had no face. Something had eaten her face. - Michael Froese was a crazy person with a gun. - Validation. - "You don't live in a goddamned movie." - "I miss what it's like to be, like, actually alone." - "Market data inconsistent. Cantor API problem. Trading system offline," - Michael didn't want this. It wasn't like that'd stop him. - "I'm wide awake, it's morning." - He was a spree killer now, he supposed. - When he gave his word, he was giving nothing. - The fact they even existed was being politicized. - "BERYL FUCKING MAHELONA. TELL ME WHAT YOU DID TO BERYL MAHELONA," - 'Am I gray?' - A beach covered in unidentified decedents. - He'd never felt anything unconditionally. - "Look around you, you're surrounded.
It won't get any better. And so, goodnight."
[+] Valerija Bogdanovic
The story of a (failed) revolutionary.

THREADS!

PREGAME: August 12th, 2017 - The explosive sound of metal hitting metal

ISLAND:
She turned away. Everything from here on out was for the terrorists to see. - "All of us, we have the chance to actually do something with our lives." - The students were the shark in the box. - Complacency was festering like a tumour. - "She's right. It won't - it won't change anything," - Scraped into the wall, in neatly-styled lettering, the words "If they won't live in peace, then they'll die for peace." - Val needed a gun, - "I do not care for violence without a point," she stated. "My gun is not loaded." - "Juliette, I'm sure you already know this, but you really should take pains to be careful around people who speak only in enthymemes." - "Someone once said, 'Change must come with the barrel of a gun', and they were not wrong." - Two explosions.
destroy the UN08/03/2019
Micheal experienced super position wherein he was both Beryl and he was Beryl's RP site quote. He was sure he could be happy about this but he no longer knew what happiness meant.
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Hi, please give me your opinion!
[+] V7
ImageG006 - Violet Quinn: "T-Thank you.... Ned...."
ImageB033 - Adonis Cohen: "Thank.... T-Thank you, E-Emmett..."
ImageB045 - Emmett Bunnell: "Just.... breathe, you idiot...."(Adopted to Toxie!)
ImageB054 - Drew Woods: "D-Declyn, I love you..."
ImageB051 - Jonathan Meyers: “...that’s louder than bombs and eternity…” (Adopted from Yugikun!)
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

By the way, I'm quoting because (unless you specifically disabled it) when you're quoted you get a big ol' pop-up ping next time you click the site.
Fenris wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:16 amsup
My favorite of your kids at the moment is Axel Fontaine. Axel's fascinating to me for a lot of reasons, but one of the biggest is his unique relationship with Backslash's Andy and with violence. It's a mode of being utterly alien to me, and yet at every turn it's been sold with finesse and empathy and insight that just makes me feel like I absolutely get where he's coming from. I feel like there's some heavy narrative rhyming between youngblood and Break Your Halo, and that's the sort of thing that, properly pulled off, is a true beauty to behold. The latter thread does an amazing job of showing us Axel's emotional and mental state and the toll the island is taking on him without ever being entirely explicit about it, just through the subversion of the practices and mannerisms that have been established painstakingly through Pregame. His narrative chemistry with Andy is through the roof, and there's an overpowering unease and sadness that nicely balances the moments of wackier, more overt humor; the seams of his coping mechanisms are clear, and while it doesn't make Axel somehow constantly serious, it colors his humor with an air of desperation and inevitable dissolution.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

yo
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Yugikun wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:38 am Me, me, pick me!

...wait no fuck oliver made the same joke i did, abort, abort
Right now, my favorite of your characters is Jonathan Meyers. Jonathan has been on a major and intriguing upswing for a while now, including starring in the hotel thread that gave me the most uncomfortable flashbacks to middle school gym lockers. I really appreciate his generally direct narrative style, but more than that I feel that at the moment he is absolutely brimming with potential energy all set to go off. Jonathan's first thread has established a number of goals and facets to his mentality, but right now his planning mostly hinges around his belief that death is inevitable not for the normal SOTF reasons but because the class will not play into the terrorists' goals and will be detonated en masse. This is good dramatic irony because we as readers know that is absolutely not what will be happening, which means that in roughly a day Jonathan's worldview is going to be fundamentally shaken. But what will come next? That's the delicious part. Will he keep seeking out his friends? Will he become more proactive, either in defense of those he cares about or to save himself? Will he give in to despair? Will his streak of mistrust of his peers spike, or will he overcome it? I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to find out.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

ok but who is your favourite of my characters now
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

B003: Jeremy Frasier — "Yeah. No regrets." — 57%
Kills: 2 | Equipped with: Scoped Raging Bull, $1000, Wooden Baseball Bat, Eyepatch, Pancor Jackhammer
PREGAME — Past: ☆ ☆ ☆ | Present: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ | Sadie Hawkins: ☆ ☆
V6: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
THEME: OneRepublic — Love Runs Out

B013: Alvaro Vacanti — "Thank... you..." — 41%
Kills: 3 | Equipped with: MAC-10
PREGAME — Past: ❇ ❇ ❇ | Present: ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ | Sadie Hawkins: ❇ ❇
V6: ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇
THEME: The Megas — The Haystack Principle

G030: Jasmine King — "I win." — 11%
Kills: 0 | Equipped with: Brass Knuckles
PREGAME — Past: | Present: ☻ ☻ ☻ | Sadie Hawkins: ☻
V6: ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻
THEME: Luck Ganriki — golden sneer
[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

Nicholas "Nick Andretti" Andretti — The Mercenary — "Have a problem? I can help you. For a price."
Clover Wilkinson-Crowheart — The Cryptid — "Don't... talk to me..."
Teddy "Theodore" Berenson — The Crusader — "Be excellent to each other."
Yong Yi "Penny" Yu — The Burnout — "I DO TWO THINGS I RAP AND FUCK"
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Somersault wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:40 amHELLO
Kelly Nguyen takes the crown among your crew for me, and I think some of that may be for reasons connected to what we've talked about regarding your thoughts on her and trying to find her path. Basically, the thing with Kelly is she's a character who has a pragmatic/less kind streak within her, but one that's hidden beneath a carefully-cultivated reputation as a kind and helpful person. So, now, she's thrown into the game and is forced to balance competing wants and pressures, trying to simultaneously stay true to an image of herself that isn't false but isn't exactly true per se either, while also attempting to do what she can to establish herself in a position to survive. This leaves Kelly wanting to have her cake and eat it, which builds an automatic point of conflict into everything she does, because in most circumstances "stuff that helps me stay alive and jockey for the win" and "stuff that looks good to the people back home" are on opposite ends of the teeter totter. This forces her to make hard choices and work the balance constantly, always on the lookout for that rare situation that does both, and always trying to mitigate the damage caused to one end by an action in service of the other, something that's become especially explicit in her most recent post as she deals with Bryan like she's helping from the goodness of her heart while also running the numbers on whether he's more of a liability if he's been deafened, and whether he might make up for that by virtue of having supplies.
Sunnybunny

Post by Sunnybunny »

:?:

Who is your favorite of my one character? The people wanna know, it's me the people.
VII
G071 - Sakurako Adina Jackson - i'll be ready every day / for as long as i can say / here I am in the future with my friends

VIII
Dancing Shoes
Bare Knuckles
Wild Horses
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

I don't normally do critiques until my work is finished, but this is simply who you like the most. I'll take a quick answer.
Aura

Post by Aura »

I would like to hear your opinions on my cast as well.
backslash

Post by backslash »

I'm here to add to your workload.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

KamiKaze wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:51 amMe!
I favor Roxie Borowski at the moment, mostly due to her role in the wonderful conversation that took place at the shoe tree. I think the thread is special in part because of the ways it plays with early game conversations and conventions, and Roxie acquits herself particularly well in those respects, establishing normalcy on the one hand and poking at bigger subjects on the other. I love the way she kind of dances around the thing she really wants to talk about, tries to ease Kayla into it, and ultimately abandons ship on the topic when Nona proves unreceptive. She has a great voice, and a lovely tension between wanting to be kind to people but also wanting to push a bit and make an effort at getting her way. And throughout, her story has these nice, well-set-up humorous beats that land right without being tonally jarring.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Brackie wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:32 amhi
Right now, I'm going to go with Aditi Sharma. You're one of the site's most experienced adoption-handlers, and I think that shows in the way you've been able to step into Aditi's shoes right away and give her arc immediate thrust and tension. I'm super intrigued by the premise she sets out in her introductory one-shot, of poking at holes in the rules and testing the terrorists on technicalities; it feels very much like the sort of thing a somewhat precocious high-schooler would try, and is equal parts actual-decent-idea and blatant-coping-mechanism. I also like that it doesn't pervade every aspect of her being; she has some really interesting moments with the beach group that tie to the slips in self control mentioned in her bio. She comes off as intelligent but a little snippy and a little full of herself, willing to take the lead but with an edge to that, and that makes her at once a sympathetic character and one where it's easy to see the cracks forming already and wonder just how she'll hold up over the next few days.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Cicada wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:32 am if its not demetri i ragequit
Good news: you can stick around. It is indeed Demetri Futscher. There's a whole incredible amount I could say about Demetri, but a big thing I appreciate about him is the way he plays with being pathetic. Demetri definitely has some level of meanness to him, though I think it's important to note that this has been far more in the context of Pregame than the island proper. At the same time, though, it doesn't have the barb and sting it might with another character, because Demetri is absolutely lacking in power, which both dulls his teeth and explains his tendency to bare them. In most scenes, the scales really are tilted heavily against him, either due to his own lapses of self awareness (or else the self control to do something with his self awareness) or to simply being outgunned by whoever he's dealing with. And yet, at the same time, you've managed to avoid the most obvious pitfalls of having a character whose shtick is losing most of the time. Demetri has a lot of nuance to him, and is sometimes even more or less in the right--his defense of Faith, on the two occasions it comes up, feels genuine and from a place of empathy. In-game, he's managed to do a wonderful job of remaining his screw-up self, and I totally love that it's a person he actually knows whose name he messes up. Demetri elevates an early-game team-up/establishment arc through voice and attitude and consistency, and I can't help but feel there's actually a decent guy buried somewhere underneath it all. Granted, buried pretty deeply.

Return to “Critiques”