Gotta Fake it 'till You Make It

Open

The stables are much how one would expect. A collection of parallel box stalls that once housed both horses and some other more exotic equine animals sit facing each other with an entrance and exit that lead to a large fenced enclosure for them to be able to graze. While some of the stalls are still closed, others sit opened and still contain decaying hay and signs of their former occupants.
Sh4dE

Post by Sh4dE »

"Hey, Kayla, Paloma. Listen carefully, I did not attack Ron."

She tried to sound as confident as possible while retelling her story.

"We were at the Garden and Ron ran at me, and I was scared! He ran so fast at me a-a-nd I...slashed at him. To keep him away. So, now I injured him, so I wanna fix it."

Layla lowered her swordbreaker and brought out her first aid kit from her bag. She looked at the hand of Paloma, weilding the only dangerous tool in the room for Layla.

"No one is trying to kill anyone..."
blastinus

Post by blastinus »

Oh.....shit.

When the weapons came up, Kayla defensively hunched down, her folding chair gripped tightly in both hands as she raised it to a readied position. She didn't know what had happened between these two, and logic dictated that at least one of them was lying, since both Layla and Ron insisted that the other had attacked them. As a casual onlooker, there was no way that she could point to someone and accuse either of them, not when lives hung in the balance.

And honestly, it didn't matter, she figured. This was their business, not hers. If they had a tiff with one another, they could settle it on their own time without dragging her into it.

"Layla's right," she exclaimed, not taking her eyes off the two inside the stable. "Whatever happened, it's done. We don't have to be killers. We're better than that."

To accentuate her point, she raised herself up to a more casual position, though her chair conspicuously remained in one hand.

"So I'm lowering my weapon, see? We can just go on, business as usual, and nobody has to get hurt. Cool?"
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

"Liar! You're lying! She- she's lying!"

What was she trying to pull?! Making herself seem like the victim, like she was being sooooo nice by trying to help the guy who attacked her. It was all a trap, obviously. Layla and her friend were trying to get Ron and Paloma to lower their guards, and then they'd come at them. It wouldn't work, Ron would make sure it wouldn't work.

"Paloma, she- I didn't run at her!" Ron spat out. "She came up to me with her knife hidden, and- and then she took it out and slashed me! She's tricky- sh-she's a trickster! That's what she is!"

Ron backed up more, shifting the nozzle back and forth between Layla and... Kayla! That was her name! Layla and Kayla.

"You two, go away! I'm not gonna warn you again!"
Espi

Post by Espi »

Paloma looked back at Ron, then forward at Layla. The other girl was there too, espousing peace or something. But her aside, it was classic he-said-she-said, literally, too. Paloma wasn't an expert reader, but one of them was lying, obviously. But who, and more importantly, how did she respond?

Paloma bit her lip, knuckles going pale from her tightened grip. She didn't like the idea that one of them was violent. She'd wanted to avoid that, wait the game out, and now she was stuck. If she just ran, would they stop her? Probably. She might get caught on the blade, or Ron might attack her as soon as she moved. Whichever one was the aggressor, she couldn't afford to mix them up. From her interaction with Ron, he seemed pretty...well, not 'harmless', but not a threat. Running at a girl was kind of weird if he then moved on to chat with her the way he did. Was he really intimidated by Paloma but not the girl with a knife?

And that raised another question. It was maybe a stretch, but it struck her as weird, and if picking at the story got to the truth, either way, she'd be fine. Paloma turned ninety degrees, back against the door of the stall. She looked to her left to Ron, and to her right to Layla. Whoever was the threat, she'd need to be quick. If she had to fight them, she'd do it. She knew what anyone was capable of, what she'd already had to be able to do, and she wasn't going to pretend that this couldn't easily become a bloodbath if any one of them wanted it to be.

"Wait, so he ran at you, like to attack you? And then you chased him to help him?" Paloma said, narrowing her eyes at Layla. "Is that what you're saying?"
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

….

Blink

“What happened here?”

(((Roxanne “Roxie” Borowski continued from dear army guys come quik there are terrorists- roxie))

Roxie had stopped a bit to readjust her leg, and then suddenly Kayla had gone poof. So, great. She had to look for both her and Nona. This place was weird, too. “It was a zoo” was the kind of thing you’d say to insult a place or event. But no, it was literally a zoo. She guessed. There was an aviary, a stable, and menagerie, by the look of things. No critters inside, though.

But people? Oh yeah. The shouting had summoned her.

Roxie stood some feet away, frowning. She was going to keep her distance. Even if she was going to die here, well, safety was always still a concern.

There was a dude, Ron, and, like, Kayla, so she’s there. Good. And Paloma and Layla? And by the look of things, people had weapons.

Her eyes flicked between the group.

“Need some help?,” she said, still frowning, her voice low and her arms crossed.

It couldn’t hurt to offer assistance if something’s going on.
Sh4dE

Post by Sh4dE »

Layla was reacting calmly, while Ron had been pathetically paniking. Now, what made whom more believable? Layla hoped Ron would be perceived as being crazy.

"I don't think he attacked me- well, yes I did when he ran at me, but now I don't...words are hard."

A new voice greeted them. Was that Roxie's voice? Layla turned around. Okay, this was getting crowded. She should change her plan from killing Ron and hide to something else perhaps. A group would not be a bad choice. Otherwise, you really could not trust anyone.

"Roxie, Ron is injured. Two cuts. Come, help us please."

Layla will find a target eventually.
blastinus

Post by blastinus »

Oh jeez, no! Not now!

Kayla turned in shock as Roxie stumbled onto the scene, totally unaware of the powder keg unfolding before her. Ron was already planning to make a rash decision, and adding another uncertain element would just make things exponentially worse.

"Stay over there, Roxie," she warned, raising a hand to accentuate the point. "One of these folks is playing!"

Everything she'd said about resolving differences and trying to look past whatever happened was falling on deaf ears. Ron was ready to pop off in a second, and nothing anyone was doing was making it better. It seemed like P-something over there was just as confused as Kayla was, but P was trying to zoom in on Layla, so they could be looking at a 2 on 2 if negotiations broke down. Kayla didn't know how to take this. All she had to go on was that Layla had been calm as a cucumber while Ron was sweating up a storm, so...

Wait...did she just say two cuts? But he just had the bandage on the one arm. She said that she swiped at him in self-defense, right? Then what? Did she turn back around and...

"Two?" she asked Layla in a voice that was unexpectedly shaky. "What do you mean, 'two?'"

She backed up, suddenly realizing how close she was. How far could a knife travel before she could raise her chair? Ten feet was hardly any space at all.

Shit...shit shit shit!
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

He was getting frustrated. They weren't listening to him! He told them to leave, and they were still here. What was he, some sort of joke? Well, he wasn't going to take this any longer!

"Yes! Yes, Kayla, two cuts!" Ron lifted up his shirt to show the group the bandages over his stomach. "She was trying to make sure I didn't get away! I barely escaped!"

Of course, Layla wasn't responsible for the stomach wound. But telling the truth clearly wasn't working out for him, so he might as well fight lies with lies. It was only a tiny lie, anyway, much closer to reality than the bullshit coming from Layla.

Ron held the fire extinguisher protectively in front of him and inched to the entrance. It was getting more and more crowded, with goth Roxie showing up. He glared at Layla, and then to the other two girls blocking his way.

"Since you girls clearly don't want to leave." He said, struggling to sound intimidating "I- I'll just have to leave myself. Move outta the way, or, or I'll be forced to be... forceful."

He spared a glance to Paloma, who had been helpful so far. He couldn't fully trust her, but he really didn't want to go off alone again. If Layla chased him into the woods again, he wasn't sure if he'd be able to escape her by himself.

"Er... Paloma, let's go. If you, uh, want to come, I mean."
Espi

Post by Espi »

Oh, another arrival. Just what Paloma wanted. Paloma knew Roxie, because she was pretty distinct-looking. She was kind of an odd duck, but Paloma liked her alright. That said, she had no reason to assume she wasn't a threat by default. She wasn't armed though, which was at least a point in her favor, unlike Layla.

The other girl, the one whose name Paloma didn't remember, shouted something about ;playing'. She was familiar with the phrase, at least. It was a weird kind of unofficially agreed-upon shorthand for someone trying to kill their classmates. People would think Paloma was a player, sooner or later. She supposed she was playing, in that she was aiming to win and survive and go home, but that didn't make her an active threat. People didn't need to hunt her down. If anything, they ought to just leave her alone and they'd all be better off.

Of course, at this moment there wasn't much 'alone' going on. She was surrounded by several people. Ron seemed to be freaking out, and if he was really truly scared of Layla, that made sense. She did seem kind of upset, though, but was she upset he'd gotten hurt, or gotten away? Ron had been injured twice, and if it was an accident, it didn't make sense that she'd stab or cut him a second time. Unless she was truly reckless, in which case, Paloma didn't really want her around anyway.

"Yeah." Paloma nodded to Ron. He seemed at least not an active threat, and leaving with him was safer than staying around with three unknowns. If he wanted to hurt her, he could have, but he hadn't. Of course, come tomorrow, that could change, but...

Scooping up her bag, Paloma held the bat to her chest and slowly slowly rotated around the entrance of the stable, edging away from and around Layla and the other girls. As soon as she was clear, she made a break for it, taking a few brisk steps backwards before sprinting in the other direction, hoisting her bag onto her shoulders to keep it between her and the others.

After a couple of moments, she stopped, turned to make sure Ron was clear, and then kept going.

((At least her next shelter would probably be less disgusting.))
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

Good, good. Paloma was actually coming with him. Clearly, Ron was doing something right. Right, he'd had a rough start, but he was slowly clawing his way up-

Oh, she just started running. Ron started to head after her, but decided to give Layla one last parting remark.

"Well, this is goodbye. Better hope you don't run into us again."

With that, Ron sprinted after Paloma. The pain came back with a vengeance, but he tried not to show it. Had to keep up with Paloma, and had to make sure not to show the others any weakness. He'd ask her to slow down once they got farther away.

((Ron Kiser continued elsewhere))
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Woah, okay, hold the phone?

Apparently someone was lying! Was it self-defense? Was it a misunderstanding and both were telling the truth after all?

So Roxie just stood there with a befuddled look on her face, holding her bag over her shoulder, as revelation after revelation spewed out. Two cuts? Ron collaborated, even showing off the bandaged wound. Then it was like, Paloma and I are leaving. And then they did.

It was weird. Like, she knew she should be more concerned about the whole “attacking people” thing, but really, she was just confused. Like, you know how you are channel surfing and you stop right in the middle of a movie you’ve never seen before? And you have no context about what happened earlier in the flick, and you have to guess?

Like that. Roxie felt like that.

“Kayla,” she stepped a little closer. “What even happened before I got here?”
Sh4dE

Post by Sh4dE »

Fuck. He got away.

All the stalking was for nothing.

"Ugh. Some people just don't want to get help."
blastinus

Post by blastinus »

Kayla wanted to sympathize with Ron, to let him realize that she believed him and was similarly freaked out by Layla’s behavior. She figured that he was scared and paranoid, having escaped death only for no one to believe him. He must have thought she was in cahoots and that’s why he didn’t trust her. All perfectly reasonable and she got where he was coming from.

But that being said, she was honestly glad to see him leave. Relatable though his intentions were, getting through to that guy was like headbutting a brick wall. And boy was her forehead throbbing.

Layla was distracted by their departure, which Kayla took advantage of to back further and further away until she was standing next to Roxie, who was understandably confused. Much as she would have loved a sane perspective on what had just happened, this was really not the best time for longwinded explanations.

“I’ll tell you on the way. We need to go,” she muttered, grabbing Roxie’s arm to not-so-subtly hint at her intentions as she not-so-casually began to power walk to safety, breaking into a jog once she got far enough enough away.

What had happened to everyone? Had they always been this crazy and she only just noticed? Was it just her and Roxie, alone on an island of paranoids and loons? It can’t have even been five or six hours and people were already swiping at each other. What was it going to be like tomorrow? What was the point of even planning a rebellion if everyone was going to be at each other’s throats?

No time to worry about that. They needed to get some distance from the crazy first...if that was even possible.

(Kayla Harris continued elsewhere)
Sh4dE

Post by Sh4dE »

(Leaving to open up the area)

[[Layla, Exit]]
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Ack! Kayla was grabbing her by the arm! No use resisting. If they needed to leave, it was time to leave!

((Roxanne Borowski continued We're Gonna Need a Better Boat))

Return to “Stables”