A Physiological Demonstration with the Vivisection of a Dog

tw: animal death, medical gore, and edgy teenager. open thread. source: http://internal.champaignschools.org/staffwebsites/isabelgi/Zoology/rat_dissection.html

Here is where all threads set in the past belong. This is the place to post your characters' memories, good or bad, major or insignificant. Handlers may have one active memory thread at the same time as their normal active present-day thread. Memory one-shots are always acceptable.
Melusine

A Physiological Demonstration with the Vivisection of a Dog

Post by Melusine »

((technically, it's from rot))

Fascinated by the rat in front of her, she hadn't realize there were instructions to the procedure. In movies, it always looked like it was a free-for-all, and the teenagers all tried varied methods of opening the dead animal. Willow with her latex gloves and protective glasses grabbed the rat. It fit in her hand. If it were alive, she could carry it outside and feed it baby carrots. However, due to the fact it was covered in a stinky liquid that reminded her of a morgue, she was reminded she was handling a dead animal she would need to open up. Zhi Yan noticed Willow's gaze on the laboratory rat, wondering what she was planning to do with it.

"Miss O'Neal, is everything okay?"

Raising her eyes to her teachers, Willow nodded. "I was just wondering in what they were kept in." Her nose wrinkled, "so that they don't rot off."

Zhi Yan smiled. She wondered if it came from a genuine interest from the girl, or a way to dodge a thorny situation. "It's formaldehyde. That's why it stinks." She paused then asked another question to the student. "Do you need help with the dissection? Are you feeling sick?"

Willow's eyes were back on the rat. She felt it in her hands. For some reasons, she wanted a pet rat now. "No, I'm fine," she raised her eyes back to her teacher, stating her honest opinion on the matter, "I think it's kinda cool."

She ended her statement early. At first, she wanted to say something like "it's kinda cool to see the inside of something that used to be alive" but she realized if someone overheard it, it might bring some negative attention. She put back the rat in the little tray it came with and looked at the her tools. There were needles, a scalpel, and a pair of pliers. Zhi Yan noticing that Willow finally put down the rat, felt like she could go back to her desk. She didn't like students picking up the dead animals with such interest, in the past someone ran home with one, and she didn't like receiving the phonecall that someone tried to bring back to life a frog.

Willow looked at her list of tasks.

Part 1: No dissection needed:
  • Obtain rat.
  • Place your rat in a dissecting tray and examine the external features. The rat (and all vertebrates) has anatomical regions to help locate structures.
  • Locate the vibrissae (whiskers) and the pinna (ears). Rats are gnawing mammals and two large incisors should be visible. Eyes are usually pink or black with a black pupil and covered by a nictitating membrane.
    Those should be the easiest of steps. She didn't need to cut open the rat nor did she need to manipulate the pliers. It was bound to become more complicated, however. The point of the lab was to see the inner organs of the rat, and compare it to the organs of a human being. Tragically, human dissection weren't made by teenagers so nobody was going to be opened. However, the chart showing what was inside of Willow, and the rest of the students in the room, was used to compare the two creatures. The second part where most the meat of the assignment had a detailed diagram. It showed how to cut the animal to peel off the skin.

Part 2: Dissection:
    • Carefully remove the skin of the rat to expose the muscles below. This task is best accomplished with scissors and forceps where the skin is gently lifted and snipped away from the muscles. Start at the incision point where the latex was injected and continue toward the tail. Use the lines on the diagram to cut a similar pattern, avoiding the genital area. Gently peel the skin from the muscles, using scissors and a probe to tease away muscles that stick to the skin.
    She had to reread that. The new chunk of text along with a diagram explained how to do the procedure, but it wasn't sticking to her brain.
    • Carefully tease away the biceps femoris and gastrocnemius to expose the 3 leg bones: Tibia, Fibula, and Femur
    More diagrams. Uninteresting.
    • Locate the liver, which is a dark colored organ suspended just under the diaphragm. It has four lobes:
      median or cystic lobe - located at the top, there is an obvious central cleft
      left lateral lobe - large and partially covered by the stomach
      right lateral lobe - partially divided into an anterior and posterior lobule, hidden from view by the median lobe
      caudate lobe - small and folds around the esophagus and the stomach, seen most easily when stomach is raised
    • Find the stomach, its a curved organ lying just under the liver. At the top of the stomach you can see the esophagus where it pierces the diaphragm and joins the stomach. Lifting the stomach up may reveal a bumpy glandular organ: the pancreas.
    • The spleen is about the same color as the liver and is attached to the greater curvature of the stomach.
    • The small intestine is a slender coiled tube that receives partially digested food from the stomach (via the pyloric sphincter). It consists of three sections: duodenum, jejunum and ileum, (Listed in order from the stomach to the large intestine.) The duodenum is recognizable as the first stretch of the intestine leading from the stomach, it is mostly straight. The jejunum and ileum are both curly parts of the intestine, with the ileum being the last section before the small intestine becomes the large intestine.
    • Locate the colon, which is the large greenish tube that extends from the small intestine and leads to the anus. The colon is also known as the large intestine and it consists of four sections:
      cecum - large flattened sac in the lower third of the abdominal cavity, it is a dead-end pouch and is similar to the appendix in humans.
      ascending colon – food travels upward.
      transverse colon – a short section that is parallel to the diaphragm
      descending colon – the section of the large intestine that travels back down toward the rectum.
      rectum - the short, terminal section of the colon that leads to the anus. The rectum temporarily stores feces before they are expelled from the body.
    Part 3: Cleaning
    • Please carefully clean your tray and refer to the teacher when you are done.
    Willow yawned. The explications were boring her. She wanted to see the real deal. She grabbed the scalpel and meticulously cut the skin of the critter
    Sunnybunny

Post by Sunnybunny »

"Remy didn't deserve this. He had such a promising culinary career ahead of him..."

The statement wasn't made with a straight face, she was the type to get at least a little amused at even her dumbest jokes.

Sakurako's nose wrinkled up at the stench of the formaldehyde, though it still wasn't as bad as New York transit during the summer. She was expecting to have to do more work, science class being the ultimate crapshoot as far as who she got partnered with, but Willow had decided to take the reins. It left her to take notes and observe, writing her less... topical observations in the margins. She hadn't taken her smaller classmate to be the type to really get in a rat's guts, if you judged it just by looks she'd seem like the squeamish type. Rats were the happy medium between the banality of the frog dissection and the brutality of cutting up a pig.

She wasn't quite sure what she was supposed to be learning from this, besides how guts looked up close. How much were humans and rodents really alike? In her mind, most science was weird science. As the rat's skin peeled back, Sakurako held a small piece of it with the forceps, being careful not to get in Willow's way.

"Why do you think we don't dissect cooler animals? Too dangerous, or does George Hunter not want to pay for the big game?"
    VII
    G071 - Sakurako Adina Jackson - i'll be ready every day / for as long as i can say / here I am in the future with my friends

VIII
    Dancing Shoes
    Bare Knuckles
    Wild Horses
    Melusine

Post by Melusine »

“Ratatouille is nasty. I hate it.”

The skin wasn’t cooperating with Willow and she had to use a little too much force. The skin teared and a muscle went along with it. She looked at her partner and let out a small giggle. Willow pretended like it never happened.

Willow had to find three bones: tibia, fibula, and femur. Humans had them in the same place, and she was getting the hang of it. Humans and rats are surprisingly biologically similar. If you ignore the fur and incisors, they both had a similar organ layout beneath the skin. While she enjoyed learning about it, she suddenly felt like a bag of blood and it made her feel woozy. Realizing that she was also a live creature made her feel strange because Willow realized that she would one day die and probably be opened up just like this. She did sign off her organs to be donated after her death.

With the scalpel, she pointed the three bones, the femur, tibia and fibula, while Sakurako was holding a piece of skin with a forceps.

“Those are the bones we needed to find, by the way.”

They would have to note the positions in the lab procedure. Their rat was perfectly normal. Tragic, she wanted her rat to have a third leg or something. Sakurako probably felt the same because she commented on the banality of dissecting rats. While Willow didn’t agree with her, she did enjoy musing about it. Willow heard they would dissect an eye soon after, and she counted the days until she could get a new scalpel.

“I think dissecting rats is kinda cool though. They are tiny us but with big teeth and whiskers.” Willow was speaking as she peeled the muscles away from the abdomen since they had to see the inner organs of the creature. The liver was supposed to be around here. “But there has to be something more exciting like a cow. I wonder if cows have four tibias.”
    Sunnybunny

Post by Sunnybunny »

"The food? Is there actually rat in it?"

Truly an uncultured swine worthy of dissection, but luckily she wasn't the one on the table. Willow's giggling in a moment like this was awkward but well... cute. She was grateful to be working with someone with personality enough that she could just relax and well, take said notes. Rare was the day that Sakurako played the straight man, even though she was neither.

Jotting down the appearance and location of the bones, she nodded.

"I heard they breed rats like this to be cuter than normal. I wonder if they do that for lab cows. Of if there's such a thing."

She pictured herself as tiny, with big teeth and whiskers. It was kind of a silly image, which made her smile.

"Would they even let us bring a cow in here? If I was a teacher I'd be worried about one of my jerk students trying to steal it and cause chaos."

Considering George Hunter was full of heathens and their kin.
    VII
    G071 - Sakurako Adina Jackson - i'll be ready every day / for as long as i can say / here I am in the future with my friends

VIII
    Dancing Shoes
    Bare Knuckles
    Wild Horses
    Melusine

Post by Melusine »

"Ratatouille doesn't have rats in it," she said in a totally serious, monotone voice. "..which is false advertisement and I want to sue."

She would still hate ratatouille simply because it's nasty, but at least the name wouldn't be lying to her. Willow giggled, letting the façade fall.

She continued the incision, opening the inside of the rat. Well, the insides were already opened, so the insides of the insides. Normal dissection stuff, anyways, she had stopped reading the list of steps because she got bored of them. Like okay... open it up, look at things, put the things make in, move on. Literally could be said about any tasks involving any container.

Rats were probably bred to be cuter like most pets and critters. Humans like cute things, genetically modified or not.

"I think cows are really pretty." She turned toward Sakurako. "They are like..." and she smiled closing her eyes, then made a straight face. "That... doesn't mean anything."
    Sunnybunny

Post by Sunnybunny »

"At least we know we won't be eating these after we're done. That'd be recycling in the extreme.

She joined in the other girl's giggling, not only because they were being ridiculous, but because it was sort of contagious. At this point, she'd be more interested in Willow's thoughts on science than their teacher's, simply because she wasn't quite as interesting. Wasn't science supposed to capture the imagination? Environmental things were nice, but they never did anything like that.

"You have to tell me what they're like now. You can't just tease me with cow secrets and leave me wanting!" Sakurako gesturing crying with her hands, catching the attention of some of her classmates. This wasn't for their benefit though, so she just ignored the curious looks.

"I need the cowfacts."

Really, she just couldn't stand being left out out the loop in tiny matters like these. Maybe especially because it didn't matter in the long run.
    VII

VIII
    Dancing Shoes
    Bare Knuckles
    Wild Horses
    Melusine

Post by Melusine »

"It's just that..." she tilted her head, "they are so fucking cute."

Even after quitting the whole vegan thing, Willow still couldn't bring herself to eat cow meat. She was okay with drinking milk, but she just couldn't bring herself eat a burger. Cows are just so pretty, especially how they look at things. Their eyes are so glittery and pretty, and Willow was unable to bring herself to eat this creature.

"They are also like the sacred animal of Hera." Willow was now deep inside the chest of the frog. They had the same organs as her. She liked that. "She might be a crazy bitch, but she had good taste, and that's the tea on that."
    Sunnybunny

Post by Sunnybunny »

"I... maybe I should look at their faces more. I think animals are neat, but I don't really pay a whole bunch of attention to them."

Which, along with the risk of things toppling, is the reason she didn't have a pet. Something felt wrong about that. Maybe she should go to a farm, be a country girl for a little while. See life in it's realness, just as true as the guts that Willow was deep in.

Kinda yuck, kinda yikes, kind of cool.

"She punished the wrong person all the time so she was a jerk, but being married to your slutty brother seems like the wooorst. That's like... if I saw Hera in our hallway I wouldn't be surprised, that's some George Hunter drama if I ever heard it." Sakurako avoided it like the plague, but at the same time she was fascinated by all the things that happened here. "Didn't she turn a lady into a cow?"
    VII

VIII
    Dancing Shoes
    Bare Knuckles
    Wild Horses
    Melusine

Post by Melusine »

"Oh my Gooood." Willow grinned and turned her head toward Sakurako. "You're not wrong about the drama but we don't have sibling-fuckers."

She cracked her neck and squinted. "Well, I don't think the Carters are fucking, at least." She let out a small giggle then turned back toward the rat. Willow forgot about what she was doing. She knew she was opening up a rat and checking out its inside, but other than that, she wasn't quite sure what to do next.

"The girl's name was like Io, and she became an Egyptian goddess after that... honestly, mood."

She pointed the rat with her scalpel. "Okay, but real question, where were we at? I'm lost."
    Sunnybunny

Post by Sunnybunny »

"Thank goodness for small miracles. And... I want to say I don't think they'd do that, but it wouldn't surprise me if they'd made eye contact w-"

Giggling nervously, she shushed herself. Sakurako wasn't supposed to know any of these things, even as an observer. She was who she was and that's all she could be, at least for the rest of the year. Maybe she could be like Io one day, wronged girl turned goddess.

"It's liver time! We probably won't finish the organs before we let out, but another day of hanging with Remy doesn't sound so bad."

It was nice this was the last class of the day, too.
    VII

VIII
    Dancing Shoes
    Bare Knuckles
    Wild Horses
    Melusine

Post by Melusine »

"Li~ver~, li~ver~ time~." She singsonged, the prongs and the scalpel in hands. "Where is the li~ver~?"

She probed around inside the body of the rat. It was apparently a messy organs with several 'bags' holding things inside. As she moved around inside the guts of the rat, she finally pulled on what appeared to be the culprit. As she pulled it out and set it on tray, she turned toward Sakukaro.

"I secured the li~ver~," she smiled, proud of her handiwork, "okay what's next time?"

As she finished her sentence, the school bell rang. Willow rolled her eyes. It was the worst timing ever.

"Like you said, we're going to finish this another time," she laid the instruments on the counter and looked up to see Miss Zhi Yan talking to one of her classmates. "Wanna' do something this evening?"
    Sunnybunny

Post by Sunnybunny »

"Can't live without the liver, you'd end up up a riveeer~"

Quickly despite the yuck of the organ bag, she jotted down her notes, admittedly phoning it in now that class had nearly ended. It was good enough to not have to redo, in any case. The bell rang, school ended, and Willow asked if she wanted to do anything... which was weird!

Not bad weird, just unusual. Nerve-wracking. She tossed her notebook and pen into her bag, grabbing her keys in the same motion.

"Next is the stomach. And if you wanna go eat I'd be good with that, 'm kinda hungry."

Was dissection supposed to do that?
    VII

VIII
    Dancing Shoes
    Bare Knuckles
    Wild Horses

Return to “Memories from the Past”