The Black River

A popular local family-run restaurant and bar, Cheryl's boasts great atmosphere and great service. Hosting many regular events that range from karaoke to quiz nights, Cheryl's provides many opportunities for a fun night out. The food has, for a long time, actually been a weak point of the restaurant, with a few very public incidents of food poisoning being traced back to the seafood six years ago. However, the subsequent addition of a new head chef has caused a big turnaround in the quality of the American style dining, turning Cheryl's into an all-around winner of an establishment, especially given its even greater recent focus on service and events in an effort to win back customers.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Cameron had to smile when Enza mentioned people being able to wear what they wanted without worry. In a way it was what she did everyday. It was much more noticeable when she was performing though. That was when Cameron felt the most at home and natural. On stage she would be painted up and essentially wearing costumes to accentuate her look, one thing was consistent was her wolf headdress. She had found it in an antique shop and managed to barter the price of it down to a cool seventy-five dollars. It had been birthday money well spent. It did however get hot as shit when she was wearing it on stage, so it only lasted a song or two before she had to take it off. It made for an amazing image though.

Enza mentioned turning 'Tiny Monkey Brains' into a song. Cameron nodded and jotted it down on her notepad. "Yeah something about evolution maybe." She mumbled to herself as she did so. The ideas were starting to swirl around in her head and a tune was starting to take form when Cameron realised what Enza had said. She couldn't help but laugh. "Can you imagine? Man I don't think swingers would be ready for us."

Then Coleen decided to broach one of Cameron's favorite topics, that of the band. She always loved explaining it to new people.  Cameron turned to her with a grin. There was just something fun about broading musical horizons and opening peoples minds to new and exciting things they never knew about. Plus she would have been lying if she said she didn't enjoy the attention a little. It was more about the music and performance aspect for her but everyone who was in a band wanted attention one way or the other. Otherwise why would they get up on stage and perform? "You've probably seen a picture of us at some stage without realising buuuuttt I'm in a band called Peyote Coyote." She pulled her phone out and with a few  taps was on their Facebook page. "Here, take a look."
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
Roberta “Robbie” Woodvine
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
Namira

Post by Namira »

Okay, she'd need to enlist some help for that particular idea. Enza needed a few people to play the part of swooning sixties puritans, for it to work. Maybe tomorrow at school? Lunch break, or free period, possibly. There'd be enough people that she knew and could sell on it around, she was sure. Vinny was pretty good at being persuasive when she needed to be. Wheedling, anyway. And there was always the incentive of being in a little video that might get looped thousands of times, right?

Fame and - not really fortune. Not really fame, actually, come to think of it.

Attention and kudos?

Needed work.

Another smile played across Enza's face. She could appreciate Peyote's music, and it helped that she had a vested interest in the band. The actual singing-songwriting part, though, Enza left to the professionals. She could jam a bit and that was more or less good enough for her. She didn't really have the patience to hammer at words with a crowbar into they assembled themselves into a song. Performance was more for Vinny.

The waitress swung back around with the drinks. Enza got ahold of her coke, raised it in a mock toast.

"Oh, yeah," Vinny intoned seriously. "They're kind of a big deal. Sell out stadiums."
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Coleen nursed her freshly-made strawberry malt while listening to the two. She smiled through the straw at Enza's jokes... if they were jokes, anyway. She had such a deadpan delivery and a strangely alluring confidence about her, as if she could easily and literally sell somebody a bridge in New York. Were they really such a big deal then, Peyote Coyote? Obviously they weren't selling out stadiums, but maybe they were a well-known band across the school. If that were the case, then Coleen was embarrassed to admit she had never before heard of them.

"Ooooh, okay," she hummed as she traced her finger across Cameron's phone to flick through the pictures. Her eyes lit up at the recognition of some of her classmates, each varying in familiarity. "That's BB! And Vanessa, and... who is that in the back?" she asked, pointing towards the drummer. "Little fuzzy. But you guys look so awesome!" Coleen beamed and sat back, struggling between smiling more and really wanting to drink more of her delicious shake. She decided on both, sipping at the frothy dessert while the corners of her mouth remained upturned, her fingers idly playing with the corners of 'Fiddler on the Roof'.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

"Yeah we're playing at Phoenix Stadium this weekend. Mastodon are opening for us." Cameron muttered to herself, she could dream. One day she planned on playing in a sold out stadium that had all come to see her. One day. As for right now, she needed to make sure her playing was awesome and her songs were well-structured and enjoyable. She had a long way to go before stadium shows. Cameron couldn't help but smile and laugh at Coleen's enthusiasm. You would almost think she had never seen a band before. "We look awesome because we are awesome, bar like one major flaw."

Despite Coleen having sat down at the table with it, Cameron hadn't noticed the screenplay of 'Fiddler on The Roof' until she was watching Coleen drink her shake. She tapped the screenplay with her pencil to get Coleen's attention. "So do you do theater stuff then, all that acting and Shakespeare shit?" She span the pencil around in her hand as she leaned back and genuine smile on her face. "I mean, you don't seem very outgoing what with the hiding your burny face."
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
Namira

Post by Namira »

Enza caught Cameron's slightly low-key muttering, and favoured her with a wink, scooting over slightly so that she could glance at the pictures over Coleen's shoulder. Wasn't anything that Vinny hadn't seen before - in person, even, but it brought a fond smile to her face nonetheless. Was nice to see the band rocking out - good memories of good gigs, right?

She looked where Coleen was pointing, half smiled, half bit her lip. "That's Brady, he's the babe," Enza stopped in her tracks, grimaced, pinched her nose. "And please don't say that around any Korean-looking folks. He has some family that would... maybe have issues with him and me. Well, not maybe. They really, really would. Like 'kick you out of the family' levels of issues," a rueful grin. "And on that cheerful note - yeah, they're great."

Cameron didn't so much proceed to lighten the mood as obliterate it from orbit.

Enza spluttered out laughing. "Sardine! The hell kind of thing is that to say to someone?"
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Her burny...?

Her face!!

Coleen jolted, a motion so abrupt that her throat concocted a sound not unlike a squeak crossed with a hiccup. Her hand had found her face, instinctively cradling the large blemish that had plagued her for all but the first couple years of her life. Her hair was pinned over her face to help hide it, but it was just a comfort thing. Cameron had already seen it. Coleen understood that it wasn't exactly a secret across the school as all the evidence was, quite literally, right there on her face. Of course everybody knew about it, but that didn't mean she wanted to show it off, or that she liked to remember it. That's when she felt the most comfortable, when she forgot all about the burn.

"Oh." It came out as a whimper, Coleen's uncovered eye staring intently back at the flier. "Um... yeah. Yeah I do... I do the stuff..."
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

If Cameron hadn't realised what she had said at first, the reaction of Enza and Coleen tipped her off. Cursing inwardly at yet another instance of her amazing ability to speak without thinking, Cameron started work on making things right. "Shit, no, no. I didn't mean like that." She shot a guilty look at Enza. "I just...fuck." She dropped her head onto the table and put her notebook over the top of it. "I hope the ground opens and the apocalypse begins. That way you'll both forget this." Cameron was ninety-percent sure her face was as red as her hair. The only words going around in her head were 'Blown it' on a perpetual loop. It had been going so well too.

"Look," She began rising back up from the table. "I didn't mean to like y'know. Say that." Someone get a shovel. "But that's cool. I dig all types of performance. So do you do it at school or?"

Normally Cameron wouldn't mind if she insulted someone. Caring about stuff like that wasn't her way, if they didn't like the fact she said some serious shit they probably weren't going to cut it as her friend. But despite only knowing Coleen for about eight minutes Cameron found that there was something about her she enjoyed. Whether it was the shyness or the amazing newbie vibe she gave off when talking about music, Cameron found her endearing. So she hoped that she hadn't completely fucked everything up thanks to her mouth having a mind of its own.
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
Namira

Post by Namira »

Cameron - quite rightfully so - melted down in utmost embarrassment.

Good.

Like, not to be vindictive or anything, but after saying something like that, realising the foul should give anyone at least a little bit of pause. And, honestly, if Cameron was the kind of person not to feel bad about the faux pas, then she probably wouldn't be the kind of person that Enza liked hanging around in the first place.

Still, she clearly did feel bad about it, so no need to ride Cameron too badly. Vinny tried to keep her friends in line, pointed out when they were overstepping the mark... but she also liked to think that she wasn't the type to go on and on about it. Enza had enough problems of her own without stirring up more amongst people who were usually well meaning.

"Nope," said Enza, straight-face. "Committed to the humiliation box for all time. Will be used for blackmail material when you become rich and famous."

At that point, Vinny's attention flipped back to Coleen, modestly curious herself about the answer to Cameron's question.
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Cameron had wasted no time in showing immediate regret for saying what she did. She showed it so well with such a dramatic flair, in fact, that Coleen couldn't help thinking that Cameron would have made a great fit for the Cochise theatre program.

Coleen giggled. It was a nervous giggle, an unsure one, and she hesitantly removed her fingers from her hair and let it fall back into place, swishing it just once to make sure that the bangs hanging down were very close to the bridge of her nose. "It's... it's fine, really," she said tentatively, managing a smile with a fair bit of redness to her own face. "I'm sorry, I just wasn't expecting it to be... w-whatever, it's nothing!" Her smile grew a little bolder. Enza helped get things back on track, making a quick joke and then leaving it there, while Cameron took the lead in moving the conversation along. Cameron had been eager to show her artistic flair, and despite her anxiety, Coleen would do her best to reciprocate.

"Yes, I do it at school," Coleen started, finding her voice again. Eventually both her hands folded in front of her over the theatre program, poise returning to her shoulders. "I've done, um, acting for community theatre too. It's... it's a lot of fun, not sure if you'd really be into musical plays." Sure, Cameron said that all sorts of performance was cool, but lots of people said that and the stage still wasn't necessarily for them. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained. It was more than possible to gain a couple of friends today.

"If you want, Fiddler on the Roof is going on next week... you could, I dunno... come and uh, check it out? I'll owe you a Coyote Peyote concert," Coleen said, proud of herself that she had remembered the name of the band Cameron was in. She hoped.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

So Coleen did her acting at school and community theatre, it was good information to have. Cameron now had a solid idea of how committed Coleen was to performance art. The answer was pretty damn committed, she would have to be if she was doing it both in and out of school. Cameron could dig that, perseverance and commitment was needed to make it after all. The band had needed to call up venues over and over again to see if there were any gigs available, eventually people had started caving and having them do small sets. Once that happened word of mouth and their fans did the rest. They had been invited back nearly every time.

The offer of attending a show was when an idea that had been slowly growing in Cameron's brain blossomed. She could use the excuse of going to watch Coleen perform as an excuse to scout her singing ability. None of the others had to know. After all if Coleen sucked there would be no harm done and everyone could just move on with their lives blissfully unaware that she had been planning anything at all. If Coleen was good however...well that was when things would get interesting and exciting for her. Plus any excuse to get out of the house.

"Next week huh? I mean I had a meeting with my agent about playing Download Festival but I guess I can push that back. What day and time are we talking?"
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
Namira

Post by Namira »

Enza sipped slowly from her coke and sat back, allowing the conversation to flow around her. At Coleen's mention of musical theatre, Vinny hummed a few bars of 'Fame' under her breath, before smirking. That was, actually, one of few stage shows she was familiar with. Burning out in the pursuit of fame and fortune? Sign her the hell up.

"Theatre's cool," a shrug. "I like being in front of the camera, but that's just goofing off for me. Takes dedication to be in a play."

Leaning forward again, Enza propped up her chin on her hands, eyeing Cameron. She'd warmed up to Coleen right quick... Enza had to wonder whether her friend had something in mind.
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Coleen still wasn't absolutely positive about taking Cameron seriously or being able to discern whether she was joking or not. She opted to just roll with it and smiled at the 'agent' comment. She initially hadn't struck her as a girl interested in the theatre, but it seemed Cameron, as well as Enza, were both full of pleasant surprises.

"Would you?" Coleen exclaimed, beaming brightly. "It's Thursday night, seven to ten. We also run Friday through Sunday with matinee performances on the weekends but, um, I figure you have other stuff you're doing, so I was just picking what I thought might, uh yeah, be the most convenient for you!"

Coleen turned her gaze to Enza. "It's a lot of time, but all the hard work is... is SO worth it when you nail that part and you get off the stage and you're like... 'Yes! I did it!'... yeah?" Coleen noted her rising enthusiasm and motioned to curb it, sweeping the right side of her hair back behind her ear.

"Um, so that's settled. You should both come if you're not busy." Coleen tucked her arms back on the book and sipped at her malt. Gosh, this place was so good.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

"Thursday night, seven to ten." Cameron nodded as she made a mental note to make an actual note on her phone. She grinned as Coleen rambled on, explaining why she had picked Thursday. Not that it made any difference at all to Cameron but it was kind funny and charming. Once Coleen had finished she spoke. "Alright sounds like a date."

Cameron looked down at her notepad, her design sitting half-finished. It was bothering her, she preferred any ideas she scribbled down to be complete. Otherwise she felt as if she only had half a thought down and it wouldn't make sense if she looked back. So to rectify the issue she started quickly scribbling in the rest before it left her mind. She positioned herself with one foot up on the seat and her back up against the wall. From where she was nestled in the corner she could keep eyes on both Enza and Coleen while still being able to work on the sketch.

She shook her head with a smile at Coleen's explanation of the hard work that went into theatre. It almost sounded like when the band performed on stage...in fact it sounded exactly like that. That was another tick in the box of traits Cameron was looking for. Being hard-working was an important skill especially since some nights things just didn't click and you'd have to go back to practice to keep working at it until you got it perfect.

"I'll be there. Got fuck all else to do." She pointed at Enza with her pencil. "Human there may be busy with being internet famous though."
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
Namira

Post by Namira »

It was good to see Coleen looking excited - a pleasant surprise, actually. Cameron cramming her foot lengthways into her mouth was, it seemed, forgiven. Vinny, as a rule, didn't tend to allow themselves to dwell on things, but Enza did allow herself a brief moment to reflect, ruefully, that she knew very well how much a careless word could hurt. At least Cameron just hadn't thought before she spoke, rather than being intentionally malicious.

Enza hadn't expected an invitation to be the result of this little excursion. After a moment, though, she noted that she did actually feel better. She wasn't fuming any more, at least. What did they say about good company lifting the spirits? Actually, Enza wasn't sure they did say anything like that. She might have just made it up. In which case, they did say something about -

Vinny hid a laugh in another sip of coke. Explaining inside-head humour was usually more trouble than it was worth, in Enza's experience. Instead she just nodded. There was definitely something to be said for a finished product. There was a hell of a feeling of satisfaction to it. Well, if it was good.

A rub of the chin, a shrug.

"Well I usually stream in the evenings, but I can probably squeeze in an hour of that Pokémon romhack after school, then free up the rest of the night," she flashed Coleen a wink. "Maybe me and Sardine should get PAs, eh, Goomba? Organise our busy celebrity lifestyles."
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Coleen smiled and looked down at the table.

"I didn't really get anything you just said," she responded to Enza's activities, "but um, yeah! See you there, then."

Coleen fell quiet and nursed on her drink, wanting her own activities to fall by the wayside. Truth be told, she wouldn't be able to stay much longer since she only intended to have the drink and then she'd have to be on her way home to finish studying the last couple of scenes of Fiddler that needed polishing. She had to do well, especially since Cameron and Enza would be there to watch her. It wasn't especially motivating more than she was already driven, realistically. After all, she was intent on putting on a show for the hundreds of people who attended these things, including her parents and other close friends. Still, that was two more on the pile, so it had to count for something.

Having set herself down to her business of finishing her drink, Coleen was looking for the casual way out. She'd have a few more minutes to listen to whatever, finish the malt, and then she'd have to high-tail it, but she wanted it to appear as natural and smooth as possible so it didn't look like she was bailing or anything.

Return to “Cheryl's”