Ceremony

Private

Here is where all threads set in the past belong. This is the place to post your characters' memories, good or bad, major or insignificant. Handlers may have one active memory thread at the same time as their normal active present-day thread. Memory one-shots are always acceptable.
Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

"Nadia, huh? Nice name."

He'd definitely remember it, she kind of stood out and he didn't know any other Nadias off the top of his head. The party had long since faded to nothing in his mind, nothing but faint background noise buzzing in the gaps in their conversation. At least she was interesting to talk to, had him wanting to ask more questions. The photography stuff reminded him a bit of Clarice in a way, with her love for film; what was filming but photography in motion?

"It's good to have something to keep going after, too few people in this town do. You have any shoots I could see? I'm curious."

Much like he'd ask an aspiring poet if they'd mind him reading some of their stuff, though he knew a lot more about what made a good poem than a good photograph.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Slayer.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Nadia gave a small smile when Rod complimented her name. She didn't hear many compliments on her name. It wasn't because she thought her name wasn't pretty, but she just never heard anyone pay mind to it. It felt like her parents made a good choice when they decided upon "Nadia" of all names.

Rod asked if she had any photo shoots he could see. Nadia pulled her phone out.

"Hang on," she said. "I can pull open my blog."

Nadia opened the web browser app on her phone and tapped the bookmark she had to her blog.

"I just took some photos of myself wearing a polka dot dress I found in a vintage store. I think vintage is kind of cool, and since it was a black dress with white dots, it looked really good in black and white. Oh, here we go."

The page opened, showing a photo of her standing against a brick wall. She had one leg propped up against the wall, her hair tied in a bun with a headband on, and her face turned to the side. It was something she took in an empty street one afternoon recently to show off the new outfit she bought. She thought it was a neat throwback to the beatnik era.

"Here, take a look," she said, holding the phone out for Rod to take. "Scroll down to see more."
Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

Roderick took the phone in hand as if it would shatter into pieces if he gripped too hard, which maybe it would for all he knew, and had a look at what was on offer. He'd really meant any photography she'd done, but by the time he realised he'd misspoken, whoops, too late. Well, it wasn't all bad at least; she certainly looked impressive in that getup, an opinion that was written clear as day on his face as he continued to scroll.

Sure, Nadia seemed like she'd even make wearing a burlap sack work for her, as looks went, but there was definitely something to be said for photography. He casually took a spot on the wall near where she stood, part so she could see him scrolling and part to see if his proximity was welcome.

"I meant to ask for photos you took," he said, "but this is really good stuff too. You look great."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Slayer.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Nadia smirked when Rod said he wanted to see photos she took. She shook her head.

"Well, this may sound surprising," she explained, her tone sarcastic and light-hearted, "but if you put a camera on a tripod and set a timer, you can take pictures of yourself without being behind the camera. I really don't put anything on this blog unless I took it myself. I would like to photograph other people more or post photos other people take of me, but I'm still looking for opportunities."

Nadia then cleared her throat.

"But I'm glad you like them. I appreciate that."
Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

"Hm."

Even in jest, he didn't appreciate feeling talked down to, telegraphed by a little furrow of his brow and tightening at the corners of his mouth. It was gone as quickly as it appeared though, as he forced down the annoyance, tried to remind himself she almost certainly meant no harm. A moment later, he was calm again, offering her a little smile as if assuring he didn't take anything personally.

"Sorry, I'll admit I don't know the most about this kind of thing. I've got a friend who wants to make movies, but that's different. I think if you keep up work like this, you'll definitely go places."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Thanks, I'm glad to hear that," Nadia said.

Nadia lowered her phone. Rod was nice, and he seemed to really believe in what she did. It was nice to find someone who was actually interested in her for what she did and not how she looked.

"But yeah, I'm hoping to go West with this. Go to school, work for a magazine, maybe walk some runways. It's a lot more fulfilling than wandering around picking sand out of your teeth."
Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

"I'd say."

Roderick actually liked the desert, even if Kingman could burn to the ground for all he cared, but he still chuckled a little at that last part. Pretty, ambitious, and not a bore to talk to, this Nadia was someone he could root for easily enough. Out west probably meant LA, which made sense. Pretty much everything happened either there or NYC these days; he'd probably drift over to California himself at some point. Hell, he'd even been born in LA, though he'd only "lived" there the couple days it took his mother to rest up.

"You've got me rooting for you, at least. It's nice to see someone whose goals go further than working at the gas station on the edge of town."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Hah. I mean, the gas station does have some drama to it. It's the only place you can experience muggings at gun point and crystal meth deals while buying Fritos at 2 am. It's not my cup of tea though."

Nadia smiled at Rod.

"But hey, I guess you've got a lot of plans, Mr. Wrestling Champion. I'm guessing you're heading for the big leagues, or whatever it's called for wrestling."
Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

"That's the plan. Wrestle in college, try to get on the national team, wrestle in the 2020 Olympics. 2016's too soon, I'd barely be out of high school. From there, who knows; there's only so far you can take amateur wrestling, it's not like baseball or football."

Still, if he got to Tokyo in 2020 and came home with the gold - and his family and coach had encouraged him but made sure he understood just how big an "if" that was - he'd go down in history with Jim Thorpe and Billy Mills. The third Native American gold medallist, the first Navajo. That'd be a hell of a thing. And if it didn't work out, there was always 2024. He could force America to pay attention to his nation's struggles, make things better for his people and for the sport he loved.

Some would say it was a hell of a dream, but a dream was just a goal you didn't work for. Shoot for the moon and never let someone tell you what was impossible, that was what Dad always told him, and look what the older Kanuho had done with his own goals. From Kingman to Stanford and back, then to head of a law firm that stretched from Arizona to California. Not Roderick's own style, really, but it was proof of concept. And besides, not so long ago he'd pinned a guy who'd never lost a single match until he met Roderick on that mat, that had to say something.

"We'll see how it goes, but I'm going to chase it as far as I can."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Wow, the Olympics. That's quite big. And definitely more ambitious than most people in this town would even attempt."

Nadia smiled. It was neat that this guy had such lofty goals. Maybe it was blurry for him after 2020, but she had to admire him for really having a goal in mind.

"But yeah, I'm sure it'll work out for you," she said. "If not, I'm sure you can find something else that works for you?"
Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

"We'll see. I try not to think too much about 'what if it doesn't work out' but I have a few ideas."

Second-guessing himself was the way to failure, and besides, if he didn't get into 2020 or didn't get the gold he'd just try again next time. He'd only be what, 24 when he (hypothetically) headed to Tokyo? Not the youngest wrestler ever but still well into his athletic prime. She was right though, at least insofar as he needed to have some idea of what he wanted to do beyond wrestling. Wrestlers couldn't make it their lives like baseball players or footballers could, the support system just wasn't there. For now, anyway.

By now either the party was starting to fade or he'd just shut it out entirely, because he couldn't hear the music any more over the two of them. Good. He stood there next to her for a moment, just taking in what ambiance remained, before glancing her way again with a little smile of his own.

"I won't give up on my wrestling, so you don't give up on your modelling. Sound like a deal?"

A little joke, but at its core, ambitious people trapped in Kingman needed to cheer each other on.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Nadia nodded to Rod's statement.

"Works for me," she said. "At the very least, let's make sure we don't both fail."

Nadia smiled. This was a lot more nice than she expected. Rod made for good company, and the lame party wasn't so lame anymore.

"Hey, I'm glad you came to escape the riff-raff," she said. "I've enjoyed our talk."
Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

"Same here. You're one of the only interesting people who showed up tonight."

Hopefully the past tense didn't mean she was bored of him. Forget the rest of 'em, even if it wasn't some huge affair the party had picked up just by Nadia showing herself. Let the swirling masses do what they wanted, as much as he liked being around people their idea of fun just didn't really match up with his. How many of them knew anything about a hard day's work, anyway? About chasing down a goal you held so dearly it kept you awake at night and set your nerves afire? At least Nadia here didn't look at him like was crazy for wanting more out of life than he had already.

"Stop me if it sounds silly, but it kind of made coming out here worth it."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Nadia grinned as Rod replied. It was good to know she found someone remotely interesting at this party. He did make it worth coming out here tonight.

That's when a thought came to Nadia: if this was the most interesting thing that was going to happen here, why stay? She had found someone to chat with, but why hang around if it was just going to involve running through a gauntlet of drunk and horny teenagers, listening to loud music and eating stale snacks? She could do better. They could do better.

Nadia let out a small chuckle to herself.

"Hey," she said to Rod. "Since this place blows, want to get out of here?"
Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

"Thought you'd never ask. Any ideas?"

Some of the people here were okay, but not okay enough to keep subjecting himself to the tedium. There wasn't much for him here, if he hated the ear-stabbing music and the thought of filling himself to the brim with booze. Frankly, he'd rather be running a few miles or spending a couple hours drilling takedowns, but something about what all work and no play did to Jack came to mind. Nadia was on to something, they both deserved better than whatever anybody currently at this party had to offer them, so why not go find their own fun?

With an exhale that sounded like a little "hup," Roderick pushed off the wall and looked to her, his gaze sweeping down her body for about half a second before he caught it and stopped those thoughts about what "finding their own fun" entailed cold. At least until it wouldn't be disrespectful to think them. As if nothing had happened, he made a sweeping gesture with his hand and gave her a grin, as if to say, "after you".

Return to “Memories from the Past”