Call Me Maybe

trigger warning: transphobia

The most memorable features of the bar is the homemade sign hanging from it and a collage of pictures of the staff on the wall behind the bar. The rest of the bar looks like a normal working bar although the seats are much better than would be expected, there are a couple of television sets on opposite sides as well. Many of the chairs seem to have specific cushions or be identifying marks on them. Behind the bar is a door that leads to the storeroom. In it are barrels and crates full of many different drinks. The storeroom itself isn't very big but the large amount and piles of objects mean it could potentially be a good hiding spot.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

This was true insanity. Cameron knew she was weird, different, a little off, and all those other phrases. But in those moments of raving about the government and false flags she got a glimpse of someone who had truly lost it and she knew that no matter how weird she was, she would never be on the same level as Tessa.

It was just nutso on so many different levels, none of it really made sense. At least not to Cameron, but she would admit she wasn't the smartest person ever.

Oh.

She was being accused of murder.

Cameron froze like a deer in the headlights for a moment. Then Vinny gave punctuated their rant with the bluntest response imaginable and Cameron almost burst out laughing...not the best response ever. She put the back of her left hand up against her mouth. Only allowing a couple of snorts to fight their way out.

It was just the way Enza had told Tessa to shut up. It had hit the right note at the exact right time for Cameron. Sheepishly looking between the other three Cameron cracked a smile. Truly she was a social etiquette goddess.

"Sorry," She rubbed her face with her hands to get some semblance of seriousness back and considered her words carefully before responding.

"That theory's pretty fucking dumb."

Nailed it.
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
Roberta “Robbie” Woodvine
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
frogue†

Post by frogue† »

Cameron's squinty little eyes were made all the squintier by whatever it was she was feeling. Confusion? Suspicion? Fear? Tessa stared into them, unimpressed.

"Yeah, it is. The person who said it's probably a real fuckwit, I'd say."

She kept her gaze on Cameron, not looking at Vincenzo. That the little creep would put words into her mouth didn't surprise Tessa for a second. He'd already convinced himself he could think like a girl, it was hardly a leap to go from that to thinking he could think like any girl.

"I didn't say you killed anyone, did I? I said there're things that've happened that you're not telling us, and what I went on to say is that's your business. I don't trust you, I don't need to. Ain't no need for it to be a big deal: I wouldn't trust half our teachers as far as I could spit them, but I still sit in their classes every day."

Tessa folded her arms.

"Maybe we got off on the wrong foot, here, no pun intended. You ain't gonna find any ice in there - power's been out for a while - but maybe we can stop saying people said stuff that they didn't and imagining accusations for just a minute here, get that foot elevated, and talk a while about where we're all going."

She pushed the flap open on her bag using her foot. The mine sat atop what was now the entirety of her worldly possessions. It looked cheap and plastic.

"I've gotta pretty surefire way of making sure we're not disturbed."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler frogue. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Tessa blanked them. Jerk.

They did appreciate Cameron connecting the dots and laughing, though. That made everything feel a little bit more normal. Which still meant they were levelling out at ridiculously far from normal altogether, but hey, one step at a time and maybe they'd walk on water all the way back home.

Vinny raised both arms, wiggling their fingers. They were tempted to make ghost noises.

"Oh okay. 'Things that've happened'. Sure. Those vague and nebulous 'things' that don't actually add up to anything. Thanks for that, Roswell. Gone a real long way to showing that you're not talking shit. Wait, no. The exact opposite. You've gone backwards. Nice."

They didn't make much of an effort not to glower. Enzo was starting to feel like a lot less of an asshole for wanting to pass up Tessa for people they knew better, which so far as they were concerned, was entirely her fault for continuing to act like this. Their estimation did not rise when Tessa nudged open her bag, revealing something Enzo had seen before only in dumb shooting games.

"I liked what you said up until you flashed the fucking landmine, Roswell. There are ways to set up warnings without blowing people up! Are you insane?"
Iceblock†

Post by Iceblock† »

"I thought there'd be a chance of a battery-powered ice maker or something," Mel said lightly. "I say it's still worth a shot."

She wasn't an electrical engineer - didn't even really care about the programming side of things that much either - but maybe a few AA batteries from Elmo could power something long enough to freeze stuff. She'd seen old roads on the way here, too. Roads for cars. So if the first plan didn't work, car battery time. There could be at least a couple that hadn't lost all their juice yet.

As for Vinny and Tessa, that whole thing still seemed dangerously close to blowing up. Figuratively. Though the land mine didn't help. She figured she could at least try to defuse the situation a bit.

"Then we just put it down somewhere as a scare tactic. Y'know, half-bury it, dig up a bunch of empty holes nearby, fill them back in with dirt, then set up big picket signs and paint 'LAND MINES HERE' on them. All caps." She shrugged, then started slowly walking back towards the pub, letting the edge of Cameron's pickaxe drag behind her in the dirt. "Cameron's still down a foot - we going to actually do something about it or not?"

Didn't really feel right to jab at them like that, seeing as Vinny was the one carrying Cameron's weight now, the one who was actually Cameron's friend, and Tessa had at least pretended to care by supporting elevating the foot. But she had never really considered herself particularly patient, and she was beginning to get real tired of just standing around calling each other names. Best to get on with something that they could at least all agree on. Then maybe she'd get to figure out exactly how she'd do what she wanted to do, too.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Iceblock. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Cameron shook her head and stupid grin plastered across her face. She knew she should wipe it off and be serious but there just something about Tessa that she couldn't take fully seriously. Just the gaps in logic and mental jumps Tessa must have been doing to get to the idea that she was the one in the right in their situation. Cameron felt a little sorry for her actually. She must have been lonely back in Kingman. Then just as things seemed to be cooling down the conspiracy nut had to go and make things just as explosive as they had previously been.

Suddenly the threats were very real again, it had been fun while it had lasted. Back to reality now, everyone's on high on fear and paranoia and they were a hell of a drug. Cameron stared at the mine, then looked between her companions and friend.

"So...I'm fine not having anything to do with that."

Hopping slightly to alleviate some pressure that was building in her ankle Cameron winced and coughed.

"Yeah, don't want to sound y'know demanding or anything, but my ankle is on fire."

She glanced over at Mel and the pickaxe. Her pickaxe. Considering how Tessa was behaving Cameron felt supremely naked without her weapon.

"Can we just like go inside?"
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
frogue†

Post by frogue† »

"We keep an eye out. We see someone coming, we give them a holler and let them know not to come any closer, and if they do? I mean that's their look out."

She gave a shrug.

"Stand Your Ground's legal in Arizona, ladies. Some feller's coming at us with evil thoughts in his head and we have every right to put him in the ground. Or, y'know..." she gave her bag a little kick "...all over like a hundred square feet of it."

Tessa looked up, staring at Vincenzo with his stupid nicknames, at Mel with her defensive sarcasm and Cameron, whining about her leg. None of them looked particularly impressed.

"No bar in the world ever had a battery powered ice maker, but sure, no harm in heading in there."

She gestured towards the door.

"After y'all."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler frogue. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Iceblock†

Post by Iceblock† »

Although the picket signs and the rest had been silly exaggerations, Mel had meant what she'd said. If they were going to set up a mine, warning others seemed fair, and where Tessa wanted to warn people verbally, her own suggestion had been nonverbal.

As she walked, as Tessa talked, as the edge of Cameron's pickaxe hooked or bounced on one grass tuft or another behind her, she thought maybe what she'd meant hadn't gotten through. Maybe she should have bothered to choose her words more carefully, put a little more seriousness in them so that Tessa would have realized she was sort of agreeing with her. Probably wouldn't have made a difference, though. Easy enough to mess up and mess around with words no matter how much thought was put into them. They'd done that plenty already.

Fact was, it didn't matter. What was important was that Cameron had found a friend, someone who could be dependable.

She wasn't needed anymore.

She could stay with them for a while if they let her. Maybe she would. She'd try to find a battery-powered ice maker even if it might not even exist, because that was what she had set her mind on. After that, she could help out somehow. Checking Cameron's splint, making small talk, whatever, just doing what she could for the rest of the time she stayed. But she had other things on her mind now, other things that she wanted to consider alone. She didn't want to drag them into it if she could help it - didn't even think they'd particularly agree to be dragged into it given the chance.

Maybe she'd leave right after this, after all.

Her steps led her to the pub's entrance, and she pushed open the door. In a few hours, or even in a few minutes, she was sure she'd do the same, but heading out - a few people and a pickaxe lighter, going, going, gone.

((Melanie Beckett continued in Thursday's Child))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Iceblock. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

There was no ice in the pub, because that would have been too good. Instead Cameron was sitting in a soft as fuck armchair with her foot elevated. She was living the glamorous rock star lifestyle. What she really needed was some weed...or peyote. Just something to take the edge off.

What Cameron did have was Vinny though and she didn't underestimate the positive effect that was having. Sure Tessa wasn't the best companion to have around but safety in numbers was a thing. They were holed up in the pub and since there was only one way in our out they would know if someone was coming. It gave a degree of comfort and safety to know that.

Eventually night came and went and they were greeted by an announcement. Cameron listened out for the names of her friends. Cristo and Abby were dead which gave Cameron pause. She knew and talked to Cristo but they had never really been close, she had been closer with Abby and now she was gone. It was a weird sensation, being aware that while she was enjoying the company of Enzo, someone she knew had died. Cameron didn't really know how to react. Instead she just looked at the tattoo on her palm and picked at it.

She was glad that neither Vans or Coleen had been in the announcements but she didn't think she should have been happy about it. Each classmate whose name was read out was a family losing a son, daughter, brother, sister, grandson and stuff. Being happy that her friends were OK didn't seem respectful.

Cameron continued to absently scratch at her until eventually it became too much for her.

"What's the plan? Stay here until we have to go?"
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
Namira

Post by Namira »

So, base camp, kinda.

They managed to spend the night there and Enzo was just glad that Cameron, hurt as she was, had the opportunity to lay back and quite literlaly put her feet up. Unfortunately it was also way way too much time to think.

Vinny was twitchy, there were no two ways about it. Every sound had their hair standing on end, heart hammering a thousand beats a second. What if that gust of wind brought with it someone else? What if that startled animal was a sign of an approaching person?

Enzo felt horrible looking at things that way. They didn't want to have to be paranoid. Hated, hated, hated it. They wanted to trust the people at Cochise, they really did.

Only, them being who they were, Enzo knew that it wasn't always so simple. It wasn't just a matter of it being bad people doing bad things. There were classmates, schoolmates at Cochise that had hounded Enzo, there were people that Enzo hadn't liked just because. In a situation like this, was it really so far from harassment to... to...

Fuck.

And morning brought with it those horrible truths.

Enzo hunched over. Their back and neck were killing them. Bad night on a lumpy, mouldering sofa, call it.

They knuckled their eyes wand blinked back threatening tears. That wasn't right. This wasn't right.

"Would rather..." they trailed off, shook their head. "I wanna be safe, y'know, Cam? But we have friends out there."
frogue†

Post by frogue† »

"Wow."

Tessa stretched, her back making a cracking noise like someone riffling cards. She'd sat herself down in an overstuffed armchair last night, intending only to stay a couple of hours to rest up before heading out, but it had gotten dark faster than expected. Now it was morning.

"What a choice!"

She yawned. Her mouth tasted like armpits.

"Stay here and then don't stay here or wander around, looking for people to... to what? Stay somewhere and then not stay somewhere with? I mean, wow, those are some... machiavellian level plots, right there."

Tessa rubbed her eyes.

"Like, I get they drugged us and all, but like, Jesus, really?"

She pushed herself up from the chair, her legs stiff and sore. It would be good to be back in her bed.

"So just in case I'm being too subtle, that was sarcasm and those plans are, y'know, kinda shit. If you're interested in doing something actually worthwhile, though..."

Tessa looked at her companions. Mel had fucked off, probably giving up on a doomed cause. Vincenzo looked like someone had just shot his dog in front of him, but Cameron at least seemed to be doing okay. Assuming her leg was better, which of course was assuming something had ever really been wrong with it in the first place, she'd be pretty useful to have around.

She cleared her throat with a hacking, phlegmy cough.

"Anyway, pretty sure I can get these collars off."
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Cameron nodded in response to Vinny. They made a good point, sure they were safe, but everyone else they knew and cared about in the game was outside the pub. They could have been in danger that exact moment. She thought of Vanessa and Coleen and realized she couldn't go through the rest of whatever her life would be without seeing them again, both for different reasons.

However Tessa then decided to open their mouth and of course it was to be sarcastic. Cameron wasn't sure if that was Tessa's default mode or if there was an off-switch but she wanted to find one for it.

"It was about as subtle as a brick." Cameron said from where she was seated. When Tessa mentioned she knew how to get the collars off Cameron's eyes widened momentarily before she took a look at Enzo. Her face one of 'can you believe this shit?'

Turning back to Tessa, Cameron raised an eyebrow. She did not like the sound of Tessa's plan or what it may have meant for them. It also showed an amazing lack of self-awareness that nearly put Cameron to shame in that Tessa expected her and Enza to just jump at the opportunity to work with her on whatever the idea was even though Tessa had spent most of her time being accusatory, passive-aggressive and just generally unpleasant to be around.

"I'm not seeing how, since we have like nothing useful." Cameron scratched at the side of her head, just below her hairline. "Also why do you expect to even listen to you, I mean have you been hearing yourself?"
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
Namira

Post by Namira »

Enzo folded their arms. Let out a breath.

They were this close to biting Tessa's head off. They wanted to cry and scream simultaneously, and Tessa's constant niggling smugness was not helping in the slightest. Where was she even getting off right now? Was she some kind of freaking robot? Enzo was having emotions - so fucking sue them. It was worse - way, way, way, worse, to act like this somehow wasn't bothering them. Newflash. It really fucking was. People were dead. d.e.a.d. Here. Now.

How was that something worth being so blasé about?

"Explain."

Short, clipped.

Enzo didn't say that if the next word out of Tessa's mouth wasn't the start of actual sense they were out of there.

But they were feeling it one hundred percent of the way. Last chance, Tessa, last fucking chance.
frogue†

Post by frogue† »

"So don't listen to me."

Tessa put up her hands, mock-defensive.

"By all means, keep on keepin' on with operation 'wait until we die'. I'm just super looking forward to hearing how that works out for you. Ya know, on the next obituary list."

She turned her attention to Vincenzo. His face was a picture of sullenness, a toddler who'd just had his toy taken off of him, but at least he was listening.

"Look, these collars, right? The uhh... the trigger mechanism isn't internal, right? That guy was saying that if nobody dies day one, they'll blow up one of the collars, remember? They'll blow it up. That means they have control over when they detonate, which means they have to send a signal to the collars, which means radio."

Tessa paused, putting her hands on her hips.

"Radio signals... you can block them, pretty easily. You can build things, machines, that send out all this interference, and if you're closer to it than whatever they're transmitting their signal with it'll be stronger, and the stuff they're trying to send can't get through. Now, when they decide they're sick of us and they go to press their magic button..." she mimed pressing a button "...fuck all happens, right? Their power over us is gone."

Words had always come easily to Tessa. Her mom had said she could talk the ear off a bunny, but talking now was like pushing a wheelbarrow through quicksand. Perhaps it was the situation, perhaps it was the open hostility of her audience or perhaps it was a shitty night's sleep in a shitty chair, and who even knew how bad that was for her back, but even the few sentences she'd uttered left her feeling drained and exhausted.

She wanted to sit back down. She didn't.

"There's one machine that I'm pretty sure I can build. I haven't done it before, but I've looked at plans and I've, y'know, spoken to people who've built them, and it's easy. We've got a supply depot, right? And we've got a vehicle depot? If we can get a couple of tools from one and a car battery or two from the other, I'm pretty sure I can build this thing. Very sure. Certain."

Tessa turned back to Cameron.

"Or we could keep waiting here. Just uhh... remind me, again, how the fuck that's meant to help?"
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Cameron looked at Tessa and blinked a few times before looking over at Enza. Tessa had almost had her there, up until the end.

"I don't think it'll work."

Cameron shook her head.

"What's to stop them figuring this whole plan out before you've built your machine and then they just kill us. Hell that video had fucking sound. For all we know they just heard everything you said and are just waiting for us to agree to go along with this plan before they blow all our heads off."

She didn't like the plan at all. It wasn't the unknown quantity of whether it would work or not. It was all the variables and things that could have gone wrong. The car batteries could have been dead, the supply depot might not have had the tools they needed. Cameron didn't want to have a scavenger hunt with the potential of death hanging over her head. Nope. It had the potential to waste her remaining time and that was something Cameron couldn't easily commit too. Not without seeing Coleen or Vans. She needed to know they were alright. There was also one other big issue with the entire plan as well.

Cameron gently scratched at the scars on her wrist and met Tessa's gaze.

"Plus, you're a bitch." Cameron slowly levered herself up and swung her bag over her shoulder. "I'd rather spend my time looking for my friends than with you."

Hopping over to the door Cameron rested one hand on it and turned back to Vinny.

"You coming with?"
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
Namira

Post by Namira »

Tessa spoke, Vinny listened.

And she... actually made a fair shake more sense than Enzo had expected. There was a switch.

Okay Vincenzo didn't really know a whole lot about radio technology, to be fair. Their technical know-how extended about as far as stream set-ups and computer specs. However, what Tessa was saying was pretty much the most logic that had come out of her mouth since... pretty much they started things off on the original sour foot.

The collars weren't made of magic. If the terrorists had the ability to set them off, then it only followed that the ability had to come from somewhere. Radio signals... that just made sense. How else would they do it? Freaking morse code?

Old school SOTF!

"Now you will die! Dash, dot, daaash, dot..."

"...Uh..."

"Wait for it- dot, dash..."

*boom*

Fuck, this place was making them morbid.

Of course, just as soon as Vinny started considering the idea, actually, genuinely considering it, the more a faint kindling, flicker of hope began to burn, Cam broke back in with reality.

Shit. Right. They were being watched. Constantly.

The idea might have worked, but laid out in the open like that and...

Dammit. It was dead in the water before the ship was even launched.

Their shoulders drooped a little.

"Yeah," they answered Cameron softly. "Let's get out of here, Sardine," they headed over to the door, offered Cameron their shoulder to lean on, but before they began to walk, briefly glanced back. "Hey, look, Roswell. Don't get yourself killed, okay?"

Like it meant anything.

Like walking away felt as if they were doing anything other than seeing someone for the last time.

((Vincenzo Gatti continued Shock Me))

Return to “The Pub”