Somebody once told me the world was gonna roll me

This is where all the less academic classes are. Actually spanning segments of all three floors, in a rough stack, the electives hall is home to art classes, the band and orchestra rooms, the drama room, the cooking lab, and the yearbook/newspaper room. Students are strongly encouraged to take at least a year of artistic electives, since many colleges along the West Coast require this as an entry condition. The halls here are generally well decorated and inviting, since this is the most "fun" section of the school.
umop-ap!sdn†

Somebody once told me the world was gonna roll me

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Cassidy Kant: Start

Ugh why did I have to be so proud.

Cassidy moved to slump back in her seat, and then hurried to catch herself when she realized she was on a stool. She blushed and smiled, and then looked back at her project.

Ms. Blanc had drawn a single line on her paper. And now she had to turn it into art. Hmm. The arced line made a wide upside down parabola on the top of her paper.

Cassidy was getting lost in her own thought again.

Cassidy's mother HAD advised her against taking art. Cassidy had seen it as an opportunity to expand her creative horizons, but found it was really just a class where you drew and got A's if you were good.

I can't drop now. Not after I've finally taken control for myself. I'm just going to have to see this through. Prove I can handle making my own decisions and sticking to them.

The curved line resembled the arc of a fancy doorway. Cassidy imagined a large door under it. With a giant padlock. Next to it would be a girl fumbling with a giant set of keys.

Now we're gettin artsy! Hmm. And each key could be a word written in cursive. And instead of trying to get in a building, the girl is trying to leave.

To outside. Where it's unsafe, but exciting. The door she's trying to enter represents "Risk." The keys will be ways she's tried to seek strength for taking risks. There could be a caution sign on the door to help make the point.

The girl would have her back toward the viewer. She wouldn't fumble the keys. She'd be staring up at the door confidently. The key in her right hand, the other in a fist against her chest.

Cassidy blinked and it all vanished. Just an arc remained. Now can I actually draw any of that? Is this even creative? Is is too Alice-In-Wonderlandy? She just stared at the blank paper. She may not be great at drawing, but she'd give her all.

She lifted her pencil, and turned it over in her hand as though it were a foreign object. Deep breath. Faith.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler umop-ap!sdn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Michelle Weschler start

Michelle was slumped over her piece of paper in art. She wasn't really all that much of an artist, but her brother had gone to Aurora years back and he was one of the best artists ever to come through the place. Surely she had some of that in her? Not really. She could doodle a little, but she was no where at the level of Robert's talents. Even still, here she was in art class. Her cartoony doodles had managed to coast her through thus far. She was wondering how long before the teacher noticed that was all she could draw. She sighend and moved her long hair away from her eyes as she drew in the round eyes of Tigger the tiger from Winnie the Pooh. She drew him all the time. Easy enough.

She wiggled a little bit on top of the art stool. Out of habbit she mushed up the art gum eraser in her left hand as she drew. At least it was a relaxing class. Most of her other classes were APs and advanced and gave her a tendency to stress. Not so much this one. She drew other happy looking things around Tigger. The flowers were happy. The sun had shades on. It came to her that this might be looking like an acid trip. She scrunched up her nose at first, but decided she liked it. From her left she heard a huge sigh and saw a nervous looking blonde staring at some blank paper.

"You okay?"
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Cassidy looked up. Her pencil had just began drawing. She realized her anxiety was probably all over her face. She quickly smiled, the nervousness faded.

"Yeah! I'm good. Just a little nervous about starting this project. I'm more of the writing artsy type, not much of a drawer."

She dropped her arm from between them, and turned toward Michelle. Oh I've seen her before. I think she was holding another girl's hand. Makes sense, mom always said the gays were artsy types. She quickly pushed out the stereotype. Ah what am I saying! I'm blonde and I'm not dumb. And I don't even know if she's gay!

She realized the awkward gap in conversation and looked down at Michelle's paper. Tiger was in a happy meadow. "Aww he's cute!" She wondered if she was taking the assignment too seriously. No. She was here to expand her creative horizons, and she wouldn't let herself take the easy way out. She peeked at her own paper, at the arch that had been expanded into the outline of a door. Oh, I hope she doesn't ask what I'm drawing!
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler umop-ap!sdn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Michelle smiled cheerfully at the Cassidy. The girl motioned down to her own paper and she looked briefly towards it before snapping back.

"Oh yeah. Tigger. I love Winnie the Pooh. Tigger is my favorite. They call me Tigger in my girl scout troupe. I'm senior girl scout so the others made me a jacket with a curly T on the chest. I think he's just the squishiest, so I like to draw him when I get bored. So like, it gives the illusion that I'm good at this. Really I'm not. I'm just good at....that one thing I can draw. It's tough because my brother was like, loved by all the art teachers here when he came to school years back."

She shrugged and kicked her feet back and forth a bit, hanging off the art stool. Her hair fell forward as she looked down at her dirty flip flops and unpolished toes with a few toe rings decorating them. She swept her curls back behind her ear and looked back up.

"Writing? What kind of writing do you do?"
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Cassidy couldn't help but smile. What a cutie! She didn't know this girl very well, but she was liking the quirkiness and youthful energy. "I was never a girl scout, never had time for it with gymnastics. But I always thought they were neat!"

"Writing? What kind of writing do you do?"

She was caught a little off guard. She wasn't asked about writing very much, but then again she didn't talk about it very much.

"I like to write short stories. Dramas and tragedies are my favorite to write, but I get writers block like crazy. I always get to the end and just don't know how to finish. They are usually open ended."

She nodded toward the Tigger drawing. "I like the 'whoa' feeling you get after a sad story, but I'd prefer the world to be cartoony and utopian. And if I can control a story, I want to end it happy!"

She realized she was ranting about herself. How rude of me!

"What about you? What do you like to do?"
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Michelle nodded along with the girl's words while absently separating a curl in her hair so that it bunched into two smaller curls. "It's pretty cool. You mightta seen me selling cookies out and around school when the cookie season comes. That's spring. They're expensive for cookies, but no one says no to a box! Though don't think I'm trying to like, be a cookie pusher on you," she said smiling. "I could never do gymnastics though. I'd fall off the bar and kill myself. I can barely walk around without falling over. You must be crazy graceful."

The girl was a writer who liked sad dramas. That sort of thing wasn't entirely Michelle's bag but she hit the right note when motioning to her drawing. Michelle looked at the page and affectionately swirled her finger around the cartoons.

"That's me, 100%. I like happy endings. I don't like downer stuff. It just seems like there's too much depressing stuff in real life for me to want to spend my free time with it," she said, zoning out a bit, her eyes getting a bit shiny.

"Me? Um, well, I'm on the swim team. I love the water. I'm gonna have a pet dolphin one day when I'm rich and we can swim. And he's gonna go 'SQUEAKY SQUEAKY LOVE YOU MICHELLE.' Or at least that's how I'll interpret it," she said with a laugh.

"I'm also in Sea Scouts. And I work after school at the ice cream place at the mall. So you know, I HAVE to swim to keep from becoming a Thanksgiving day balloon."
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Cassidy looked up and pictured the Girl Scout table she'd seen set up. She couldn't remember any of the girls who worked it, just the forest green tablecloth and the sign. "Ohh. I love the thin mints. The way your mouth feels all fresh after. You guys keep changing the names off all the cookies though!"

"I'd fall of the bar and kill myself"

actually you fall off the beam, and slip from the bars. Cassidy didn't correct her. Gymnastics was a complex sport. But being a gymnast, she was dissaplinted to hear that the girl new little of the sport.

"That's me, 100%. I like happy endings. I don't like downer stuff. It just seems like there's too much depressing stuff in real life for me to want to spend my free time with it."

The girls tone and expression had changed. Cassidy's eyebrows raised as she lowered her face. Michelle went on to talk about swim team, and make some jokes, but Cassidy figured this was a defense mechanism.

"Is everything alright?"
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Hmm?"

Michelle was pulled out and her eyes regained their lively cheer, curved upward by the spread of a smile. She tilted her head and the mass of long curls shook and bounced. A pair of ying yang earrings that hung from her ears bobbed along. Every bit of Michelle appeared to be cluttered with spirited little baubles and decorations. She wore no less than three silver rings on each hand. One ring was of a clown with legs that dangled the hers off the stool, making the silver ring concurrent in her movements as well. Her wrists were hardly visible under the colorful circles hiding the skin; bunches and bunches of friendship bracelets. A smiling sun patch was slapped over the thigh of her jeans, covering a hole that looked to be fighting back while holes on the knees were left to their victories.

Michelle was looking at Cassidy and toying with a long strand of hair as she spoke. The hair had become tied by Michelle's fingers into a complex looking knot.

She totally didn't mean to bum this girl out! No way. Depressing stuff was not suitable for introductory talks.

"No no, I'm fine....Cassidy. It's Cassidy right?"

"Thin mints are always big sellers. They're my dog's favorite. She can't have many though. My personal favorites are the Samoas. I could eat a whole box in one sitting! ......Again, why I need to hit the pool."

Michelle tugged on a section of the bunched up knot that was the strand of hair and it instantly came undone.

"Since you're a gymnast does that mean you're all....uh... bendy? Oh wait, that sound super awkward!"
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Cassidy wasn't fooled, but if this girl didn't want to talk, she didn't want to talk. Her thoughts raced and stumbled. How can I communicate to her I'm trustworthy without seeming nosy?

"Oh yes, it's Cassidy. And you are Michelle?" She raised her voice like she was guessing, but in reality, she'd read it off the top of the girls paper.

She was a bit concerned. She brushed a blonde bang as she thought. Keep up the small talk. But also drop subtle hints that you care. That's all some people needed. Just to know people cared.

"Since you're a gymnast does that mean you're all....uh... bendy? Oh wait, that sound super awkward!"

The word struck a note with Cassidy. Awkward. It seemed minorly fitting for Michelle. She was a little back and forth between what she was thinking and what she was saying, but Cassidy knew she was the same way. I think I cover it up more though. Awkward not in a "do not approach" sense, but that medium of awkward and confident. Awkward enough to be a little insecure and not cocky, but confident enough to start conversations and form relationships.

"Haha yeah I guess I'm a bit 'bendy.' But no more than the next gymnast." She didn't like to boast, and she was really wasn't a champion gymnast, but she held her ground. "My favorite event is the floor, so being bendy helps!" Actually I might like vault more. It makes me feel like a graceful torpedo. No- the pressure before each attempt is killer. She nodded after confirming her own thoughts.

Alright, that should be enough small talk for me to get a little serious. She placed her hand on Michelle's wrist. Feeling the bands of jewelry between them. How methaphoric, it's like social norms that prevent us from making true contact She tilted her head down slightly, and spoke in a soft, serious voice. "If something is bugging you, I don't mind listening." She tried to look sincere as possible. Here we go, let's hope I don't add to her stressors...
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Michelle nodded quickly and returned a smile.

"Yeah. Michelle. Michelle Weschler. There must be tons of Michelles around."

She rocked slightly on her stool, feet placed on the lower rung now, facing in towards each other.

"I'm like the anti-bendy. But floor is really cool. I totally respect that. It always looks so pretty on t.v."

She was surprised when she felt the girl touch her wrist. Michelle was a touchy feely sort, always hugging people, hanging off of her friends and holding hands with people she was walking with. However, that was pretty much just with people she was close to. She shifted slightly, trying to remain polite.

"I- uh- I'll remember that!" she said. "Really, I will."

The bell rang signaling the end of class. Michelle quickly scooped her suplies into her bag and zipped it up.

"I'll see you next art period, kay? Cool talking to you!"

(Michelle Weschler continued in Clouds Up)
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Cassidy smiled. Sure she didn't know this girl all too well, but she made an effort.

She looked down at the paper which was still, more or less, blank.

Well that just means a little more homework. Hopefully I can psych myself up again.

She folded it up and tucked it into her homework folder.

Her passiveness toward beginning the project had become excitement. A line can become so many things, go so many ways. Just like a smile, or a hello! She breifly prayed for Tigger's biggest fan, though her eyes remained open and her hands unfolded. I hope she doesn't think I'm a nut!

Cassidy slung her bag over her shoulder and left the room. Calling goodbye to Ms. Blanc.

Return to “Electives Hall”