Let's Awaken, By the Day

Open

The shoreline by the docks is made up of various sizes of shingle rocks that need to be traversed over before sand can be reached. Large tide pools and rocky outcrops are also visible, with the waves crashing around them. The rock formations add to the danger of the area, as the swell they help cause makes venturing out into the water a perilous prospect.
Espi

Let's Awaken, By the Day

Post by Espi »

((Blair Moore continued from Early Morning in the Garden of Good and Evil))

Their campsite was still mostly intact when they returned from the hunting lodge. The night there had been a quiet one, despite Noah and Rene's best efforts to cheer the trio up. Not that they weren't funny; Noah had some great lines and Rene's commentary was enjoyable. But the issue was that the atmosphere was so oppressive and paranoid, and Blair was starting to stress out.

For one, she was getting sick. Like, legitimately sick. Her chest was starting to ache and feel clogged, and her nose was beginning to run a lot. She wasn't sure if she'd get better; without meds, she might be rendered helpless by a crippling case of pneumonia. Even if she did get better, that assumed Blair would survive long enough to recover from whatever ailed her this time. Great. Blair's head hurt, too.

And then there was the anxiety. When they heard the announcements of the previous day, it seemed shootings had been added to the list of causes of death. More beatings and stabbings (Bradley Floyd was an ass, but did he deserve to die? Maybe? Fuck) and a girl got shot. Mitch dying caught her off-guard-he committed suicide too, which doubled the whammy.

Caedyn was still alive though. Typical.

Well that wasn't fair to think. She didn't want people to die. But in a way, it was a good thing for her when they did. Jennifer aside, she'd been relatively okay, and so had her ramshackle company, but other people were in constant danger. She wasn't exactly removed, but she felt safe enough. If fitness meant outlasting by avoidance, good enough for her. If someone with a gun came by they were fucked, though. Wait, no, Rene had a pistol or something. So she could probably depend on them to keep her alive if need be.

But what about Blair alone? She was reliant on Rene's gun and Noah's Sawlaska Whateverthefuck 3000. What if something happened to the others? There was the very real chance she might outlive one or both of them, and if she was unarmed...

Anyway, this whole thing was shite. And to make matters worse (or possibly better) Sandra was nowhere to be found. On one hand, no corpse, but on the other, no sign of the other girl. Maybe Blair had been right about her running off? If so, that was a hell of a time to make a lucky guess.

Blair wiped her nose with her hand, and cleared her throat, having just recovered from another hacking fit. She straightened herself, looking down the beach both ways. Then she gazed out at the sea, with the sun rising into the sky. It was probably around early morning, maybe 10 am? Who knew. She hadn't been left with so much as a watch.

"No sign of her." Blair said loudly, trying to catch the attention of the others. "I think she really did split."
Aura

Post by Aura »

((Rene Wolfe continued from Early Morning in the Garden of Good and Evil))

They had stayed at the cabin all day and night, but Sandra never showed up.  For that matter, no one else had approached the cabin either.  It was bizarre, but strangely comforting.  For one day they had a mostly peaceful rest in a shelter that, while not exactly pristine, was head and shoulders above sleeping on the ground outside.

Speaking of which, their old campsite was the trio's first destination after they left the cabin behind.  The logic behind this decision was that if they went back to the last place they saw Sandra, then they might be able to find her there.  Rene did have her misgivings about the plan, largely involving the fact that they had no way to predict what Sandra's movements would be, but she did have to admit that it was the closest thing to a lead that they could come up with.  Besides, maybe Sandra dropped something when she fled and came back once the Danger Zone cleared to pick it up?  Sure, it sounded pretty cliche, but at least it was a possibility.

Also, one of the perks of not having to gather up and clear out immediately this time was that Rene got more time to really listen to the announcements and let them sink in.  While Rene did a much better job of absorbing the information this time, she was also immediately hit with the realization of what had been happening to her friends while she spent all day sitting in a cabin trying to come up with new material.  Jane from theater club? Dead.  Jerry, who she used to talk comedy with?  Dead.  Jasmine?  Killed herself.  For some reason, hearing that she and Mitch had offed themselves hurt Rene a little more than the rest of the deaths.  The idea of seeing no way out other than death, to the point that they would do the deed themselves... that scared the hell out of her.  No matter what, she hoped that she never reached that point.

The only real bright spot in the announcements is that Sandra wasn't mentioned at all, so even though she never met up with them at the cabin, she was still out there somewhere, alive and hopefully unhurt.  They still had a chance to meet up with her, however slim it may be.

Even though the death announcements kept playing over in her mind, she felt a need to keep up appearances.  She had been the joker of the group, or one of the two along with Noah at the least.  She had been coming up with quips in response to everything that had been happening to them so far.  Even if she didn't always draw a laugh, she liked to think that she was doing her part to help keep spirits up if nothing else.  With things getting bleaker by the day and no sign of improvement on the horizon, they would certainly need morale to keep them going.

Upon reaching the shoreline, everything was almost suspiciously similar to how it was when they had departed the previous morning.  It made sense, since the area was completely off-limits on penalty of death, but to see everything still in place after a full 24 hours was more than a bit unnerving.  Invoking her self-appointed role, she brushed those feelings off and offered her take on the situation.

"Well, it's nice that they kept it clean for us."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

((Noah Whitley continued from Early Morning in the Garden of Good and Evil))

"Well, at least they were kind enough to do that," Noah said in response to Rene's comment. "I guess the terrorists really aren't such bad guys after all."

Noah took a look around the beach. Sandra wasn't anywhere to be found. For the most part, the last day was something that he and the girls definitely needed. They got to rest, get a few more hours of sleep, and enjoy their company for a while. Noah had a few jokes to test out with Rene and Blair, and even got to make a few up along the way. It was at least nice for him to know he could still be witty during this time.

Noah sighed and kicked some sand up. More people were dead. More people were killing again. It was starting to get unlikely that the killing would cease, and it was starting to become more and more apparent that danger was likely to come towards them. At the very least, Sandra was still alive, and they could find her later.

Noah took a seat in the sand, facing the water. He took in a deep breath.

"At least it's a nice day."
Espi

Post by Espi »

Blair sat down in the sand a few feet from Noah, also facing the sea. It was a pretty view, the way the water was reflecting the golden light in dappled waves. How poetic, perfect for her.

"I don't think I've ever told anyone at school that I'm dying."

It came from nowhere, appearing in full surround sound as suddenly as Blair had thought it. She hadn't ever told anyone about the CF, though it was certainly possible Miley had told someone. Little brat. Blair wondered about her family for the first time in a while; would they watch her die? God, she hoped not. It was the old 'remember me as I was, not as what I became' thing.

"I have cystic fibrosis. You know what that is?" Blair looked at Noah, but continued without waiting for a reply. "It's a genetic disorder. A protein that affects sodium channels isn't synthesized. So when I get sweaty I lose a lot of salt, for one. But the protein also helps break down the mucus in your lungs, and since I don't have the protein my lungs are full of gunk."

She took a breath, suddenly filled with fervor to tell them everything. "So I've stayed home from school a lot because I get lung infections and pneumonia a lot, and I cough and wheeze and have shit stamina. And eventually I'll die of that, probably in the next decade or two." She laughed, a sudden bark of mirthlessness. "I mean, even if I went home from here, I'm gonna die. Pretty fucked, right?"

She laughed again.
Aura

Post by Aura »

And just like that, everything got way heavier.

Rene liked to think that she was pretty decent at reading people. Nothing near Sherlock Holmes standards, but enough to have a pretty good idea of what someone's like after hanging out with them for a while. But when Blair said that she had cystic fibrosis, Rene was completely caught off guard. Sure, Blair had been sick that day, but Rene had just thought that she was coming down with something thanks to the poor hygienic conditions of the island. She never would've guessed that Blair's own body had been slowly killing her.

Blair was laughing, but Rene didn't join in. She couldn't make this shit funny, not by a long shot. She was willing to go to some pretty dark places for the sake of a joke, but she had her limits. She sat down next to the skater and shook her head, trying to fully process what she was learning. "Shit..." was the first thought that made its way out of her mouth, shock overwhelming her ability to form a full sentence in response. She took a few moments to mentally compose herself before speaking again, hoping that whatever she said next wouldn't piss off Blair.

"Shit, I don't even know what to say." Her tone showed surprise and concern more than anything. She had never been good at handling difficult topics, and this was no exception.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Well, there went the mood. Blair divulged her health issues to the two, and Rene was right in not knowing what to say. Noah wanted to say something, but it was hard. Obviously, he couldn't make a joke about Blair's health issues, and he didn't want to say something empty either. Noah merely shook his head and rubbed his hands through his hair.

"Blair, I'm so sorry," he said. "Now I wish we didn't have to run yesterday."

Noah leaned back a bit and stared up at the sky and sighed.

"Okay, so we have no idea where Sandra can be, and all we know is that she's still alive. We're all on a tickling clock here, so I guess we need a new plan or some way to pass our days here."

Noah looked over to the girls. Right now, they were his family, and he knew that he needed to trust in them for the next step.

"So, any ideas?"
Espi

Post by Espi »

For fuck's sake, of all the times they could be serious and mopey. She was just...trying...Blair's grin, forced as it kind of was, shriveled into a look of annoyance.

"Hey, listen, that's not the point. It's not like it'll matter anymore. I'm just telling you because...I dunno, I guess if it's down to just us somehow then I'm willing to take one for the team. Or something. I don't know, but like..." Blair furrowed her brow and stood up.

"I don't want to die, for God's sake, but if anyone here can win, it's not going to be me. Right? Why should I, I mean...I'm fucked either way, right?" Blair exhaled, and then cleared her throat as the rattling in her breathing accentuated her point.

"As for a plan, I don't have a clue. Wander around? We're decently well-armed, or I think we should be. If someone fucks with us, we can at least fight back, you know." She started pacing across the sand.

In a rare moment, all of Blair's confidence died, and she didn't know what to do. She kept walking back and forth, glaring into the ground.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Sabrina was dead.

((Lillian 'Lily' Caldwell continued from This World Belongs To The Mad.))

Lily climbed slowly down the rocks leading to the shoreline, trying to recall where she'd buried her belongings. She'd stopped to change the bandages on her hand, and to write down what she'd gotten from the announcements. And now those announcements were echoing through her mind, as she clutched the notepad in her good hand.

There were other deaths that rang one bell or another. Particularly Mitch, who apparently didn't last much longer after she saw him on the bridge. It almost made her wish she'd stuck near him, if only so she could have taken his gun. Cold thought. Repulsive. But true.

Killers stood out, of course they did. She'd been friendly with Oskar. His family ran one of her favourite bookstores. He wasn't the sort of person she'd expected this from, but expectations didn't count for much in this game. And repeat murderers. Isabel, again. Not a surprise, not with the look she'd had on her face...

But Sabrina. Sabrina had given her enough pause that she'd almost forgotten to write down the next few names. Sabrina and Nancy.

At least this time Lily couldn't blame herself for it. She hadn't seen a glimpse of Nancy, hadn't hid like a coward. Was that why it didn't quite sting as much? Or maybe she was getting used to it. Or maybe it was simply because she hadn't been close to Sabrina like she had to Tina.

She tried not to think about it. About any of it. But all she could think about was Sabrina. Sabrina and Tina. Would she wake up the next morning to find that Lizzie or Emma had been killed? Or would Lily be the next Luz on the announcements? And was it better if Emma or Lizzie turned up on the announcements, so that Lily wouldn't have to face them after Tina? She wasn't sure if she could do that.

Where had she put those supplies? Why couldn't she remember? Why did her mind have to obsess over the announcements when that's what she should be thinking about right now?

As Lily walked along the shoreline, looking for the marker she'd left, she saw figures in the distance. She paused, squinting and trying to decide whether she should approach. Her legs continued to move, and eventually the people started to come into focus.

No-one she was friendly with, but she knew all three of them by sight. It was hard not to recognise Noah or Rene, even if they weren't in her year. They had very loud personalities, and they tended to draw attention. And Blair... she had something to do with Caedyn, although Lily couldn't recall whether it had been positive or negative. None of them had been on the announcements and they seemed to be talking together.

Lily had to get information from somewhere. Had to know if Isabel or Nancy had been by here. Even if she still had to decide what that meant. Because whenever she thought of them, she thought of Tina and Sabrina. If they were gone, she could stop thinking about that. Particularly in Isabel's case, she could... she could stop remembering how Tina had looked, lying on the ground like that. Stop thinking about what ifs.

She raised her hands, notepad still in her good hand and the bandaged hand empty, trying to show that she wasn't holding a weapon. The mirror shard was in her bag.

As if she could be a threat. Just a speck of dirt, wasn't she? A speck of dirt was beyond notice. Meant they had no reason to hurt her. No-one would, unless—until—she killed someone. And if she asked about Nancy, about Isabel, no-one who knew what they'd done would say she was in the wrong.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Shit.  Rene was pretty sure that she had said something wrong, because Blair didn't look too happy right now.  She was pissed, though.  Rene could definitely tell that much.  And to be honest, she was not very comfortable with Blair's confidence that she was completely screwed.  Although she did have a point, Rene didn't want to hear her basically giving up on life the way it sounded like she was.

But yeah, they were discussing a plan.  Or trying to discuss one, at least.  Noah floated the initial suggestion of a plan, and Blair didn't seem totally sure on what they should do either.  Rene sure as hell didn't have much of an idea either.  She could do tactics in video games, sure, but League didn't prepare her for this.  They couldn't just regroup and try again if they fucked up.  They had one shot, and that was it.  No respawns, no re-queues.

But since Noah and Blair had already said her piece, now she had to offer her two cents on the subject, even though she had no clue what she wanted to add to the subject.  "So yeah..." Her tone automatically gave away how little she actually had thought about this.  "... I've got nothing.  I guess we can stick around here for a while, if it's cool with you guys."  She moved some dirt around with her foot and shrugged apologetically.  "I'm really sorry guys, but I don't really have much of a plan."

Rene turned around and her gaze immediately fell upon a girl that she didn't recognize at all.  This girl was absolutely tiny, and Rene's first reaction was to wonder if a twelve-year-old had somehow snuck onto the trip.  Another reaction kicked in when she realized that she was looking directly at someone who was not part of their group of three.

Shit.  They had company.

Rene turned her head to look over her shoulder at the other two.  "Hey, do either of you guys wanna... aw, fuck it."  SHe turned back to the mystery girl and gave a small wave.  "Hey.  We come in peace and all that good shit."

Please, please, PLEASE don't let this bite me in the ass in a few minutes...
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Noah didn't know what to say to Blair suggestion about offing herself if it came to them in the end. Abby had offed herself yesterday, something Noah had tossed around while he and the girls lounged around the cabin. Suicide was something hard to think about, and to think about how easy it was to consider it as an option frightened him. He merely shook his head. That was an issue they could approach later, if it came to it.

Besides, someone was coming near. Rene had shouted to the figure, and the fact that she didn't get a response in the form of a hail of bullets had to give him some comfort. Noah stood up, keeping Sawlaska clutched in his hands. He could sort of make out a girl in the distance, but wasn't sure who.

"Yeah! We're all peace, flowers, and chocolate cake here! Please be up for that!" Noah shouted to the figure.

Noah felt his grip tighten on Sawlaska. He really hoped the girl wouldn't be upset to see they didn't have chocolate cake. He liked keeping his intestines inside his body, and he didn't want to die for something like that.
Espi

Post by Espi »

Blair rolled her eyes as the new person approached and her companions offered reassurances that they were friendlies. As for her, she stepped back, away from the intruder, and stood arms folded behind Noah and Rene.

Jennifer aside (she cringed at the memory), Blair's stay here had been really quite innocuous. She was fairly unharmed, after all. Nobody had attacked her. She had allies. She was just unarmed, but that could be managed. But the thing was, she had little faith in that continuing.

The girl's name escaped Blair; she was one of those weird wallflowery types. She briefly wondered if she had known Jennifer, and winced. Either way, not a big threat by herself, but if she was armed (though she had her hands clear and they were empty, so who knew) she was dangerous.

So Blair stood quietly, and waited. She didn't want to start something, not yet. This whole time, she'd been stressing over her imminent mortality. But that wasn't going to make her give up and off herself.

Fuck that.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

"Of course I'm up for that. Even if I wanted to pick a fight... three on one? When one of you has..." Lily paused, eying the... thing... that Noah was carrying. "...whatever that is? I'd have to be a moron to think I stood a chance."

Lily approached slowly. She lowered her hands as she got closer, once she was sure that they'd seen she wasn't holding anything. She still made sure to keep the hands well away from her bag, in case someone thought she was going for a gun that didn't exist. Once she got close enough, she slid her schoolbag off her shoulder and placed it on the sand. Careful to leave it within grabbing distance of herself (and only herself). The notepad was still in her hand.

Lily glanced between each person. There was an odd, tight feeling in her chest as she looked at them. Envy, perhaps? Now that she saw a group that didn't have a batshit murderer at its head—and seeing as it was early, probably a group that had lasted through the night, perhaps even from the first day—she was struck by a realization of how good they had it. They'd probably slept better. They had that giant saw thing, plus likely other weapons. They had numbers. Anyone who wanted to take the three of them down would have a fight on their hands.

Lily could have had this. And instead she picked isolation. And when she blinked, she saw Tina with her throat slashed open. Or a fabricated but still vivid image of Sabrina with a hatchet in her face.

But that wasn't what she was here for.

"I just... I just wanted to ask questions. Who you've seen. What they were doing. Anything useful. And I'll share anything I know that you might not." Lily raised and waved the notepad slightly before lowering it again. "Fair trade, and you won't lose anything."
Aura

Post by Aura »

All right.  One round of greetings, and no one was firing shots yet.  Rene would say that things going pretty great so far, at least in comparison to the many, many worse ways that they could have unfolded.  Rene had to wonder what was on that notepad the new girl was waving around, though.  She was admittedly a little leery over just giving away information right away, but the girl was alone, and it didn't look like she had any backup lurking in the bushes, so Rene didn't really think there was any harm to it.  Besides, it wasn't like she could say anything that could be used against them in the first place.

"All right, so first I woke up and met Richard Nixon, or a reasonable facsimile thereof."  Rene counted on her fingers with each new detail she mentioned.  "Then I went to the radio tower and met these two jokers."  She pointed her thumb back at Noah and Blair.  "There was another one of us, but we kinda got separated when we were fleeing a Danger Zone yesterday.  After that, we just hung out in a cabin until we came here this morning."  She swirled her hand while she tried to recall anything else worth mentioning.  "Yeah, I think that's pretty much all I got so far."

She looked back to Noah and Blair.  "All right, so did I miss anything, or are we good?"
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Noah thanked various deities (Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed, and Cher, to name a few) for the girl being non-threatening. She just wanted to host an information trade instead of an orgy of gore, of which Noah was glad to participate in. He could loosen his grip on Sawlaska and chat with Lily about what he's seen over the last two days.

"Yeah, that's about everything," Noah said in response to Rene. "I mean, there was that guy who walked into the cabin, slept for a bit, then walked off, but he's not really that important. Oh, and we also saw Maria Cucci on the first day, but again, it was so brief it hardly merits any value. Sorry, our information is basically equivalent to the points on Whose Line is it Anyway?."

Noah smirked a bit. Looking back, it didn't seem like they really had anything useful. If this girl was trying to hunt someone down, they probably didn't have much her, especially since Maria and that other guy probably weren't on the announcements. Granted, they could be stealth snakes and rob her or hurt someone without killing them, but Noah was sure that didn't mean much.

"But yeah, we lost track of a friend the other day, so if you know anything about where Sandra Dyer is, that'd help."
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

BANG BANG

Two shots. Both missed.

((Nancy Kyle continued from .))

Her hand ached. Everything did, really, but the pain in her hand was at the forefront of her mind. How could it not be?

She'd fired the gun. Twice. The gun had kicked in her hand. Twice. She hadn't braced it properly, and of course she'd never fired a gun before.

She almost dropped it. She managed to keep it in her grip, but her wrist was crying in pain. Still, she kept it aimed at the group. Mostly at Noah, because Noah was the one with the big, threatening... whatever it was.

"Don't..." she shouted, before pausing.

Well, they got the idea, surely.

Return to “Shoreline”