Real Scientists Fight with Umbrellas

Private

Located directly across from the Food Court, the Regal Del Mar Theater offers sixteen screens of the latest releases. Popular with locals for their plush seats, $1 loyalty cup refills, and Concession of the Day specials, The Del Mar has been the preferred theater for the last three years running.
Laurels

Real Scientists Fight with Umbrellas

Post by Laurels »

((Claire Monaghan continued from Set Lasers to Fun))

Claire put her back against the wall near the Lone Pine Mall Movie Theater. She still couldn't believe what happened and that she was actually here. She pulled her cell phone out and began to flip through it.

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow. This is actually happening. Me and Jack. Alone. Seeing Scorsese's Hugo. Holy shit.

Claire had been attracted to Jack McDonald since they met in their freshman year at Aurora. They met in Film Club, and somehow, Claire found herself interested in his thin glasses and tennis player body.

Still, Claire had no idea how to romance a guy. Sure, she had seen enough romantic films to get an idea, but Claire had to admit that she was terrified at the idea of approaching him. Plus, all the romantic films she saw and really liked ended with the couple failing to get together, like In the Mood for Love.

However, she managed to find the chance to hang out with him. When they were discussing the results of the 84th Academy Awards, Jack mentioned that he hadn't seen Hugo. Shocked that he hadn't seen the film that nearly swept the technical awards, Claire was quick to point out that the theater was showing the film. There hadn't been nearly that many good 3D films out in a while, and the theater was keen on playing films that won big at the Oscars, so Claire offered to go see it with Jack.

Of course, her excuse was that she had seen the film already and figured he could enjoy the company. She figured he might enjoy a reasonable discussion of the film's merits over a cheeseburger afterwards. Still, Claire's main hope was that this awoke something in him.

Alright. He should be here soon. Hmm, I hope this works out well. But, this is a joyous film, so he should enjoy it.

Claire adjusted her glasses as she continued to look at the TvTropes page for Hugo on her phone.

Gotta play it cool. We're just friends checkin' out a movie. Nothing more, nothing less.
Flare

Post by Flare »

(I know I've already said this to you, but I'm so so so so so soooooo sorry for being late on this. Jack McDonald continued from It's A-MAZE-ing!)

Jack could barely hear his own footsteps above the bustling crowd as he walked through the mall, trying his best to find his way from memory. Well, the memory of the two times he had to stop and look at the map in the last five minutes, anyways. He mainly stared down at the ground, avoiding eye contact with most people as he got lost in thought.

So, Hugo. Heard it was pretty good. Well, any movie that wins five Academy Awards HAS to be somewhat good. It was five, right? Yeah, pretty sure it was five. I at least know it tied with The Artist. Oh, great, ANOTHER film I still have to see. What does that make, a billion? I mean, there's Stranger Than Fiction, Back to the Future, Fantasia, Evil Dead 2... and that's just off the top of my head.

Though it wasn't caused by anything in particular, the teen snapped out of his thoughts, realizing he was now staring up at the electronic board proclaiming what movies were playing at the theater. He scanned the times next to Hugo 3D, confirming he hadn't mistaken the 6:15 start time.

Been a while since I've seen a movie in 3D... In fact, what was the last one? The Last Airbender? Ugh, don't even get me started... me.

Giving his own thoughts a little shrug, Jack took a few steps around, looking at every angle to try and find who he was meeting up with.

Is she here yet? Maybe she got caught up with something and couldn't make it...

A quick check of his phone, more specifically his lack of texts or calls, disregarded that.

Alright then, maybe she already went in, or she got confused getting here like - oh, wait, never mind.

Sighing a bit to himself and shaking his head at his own paranoia, Jack made his way through the small crowds of people, trying his best not to bump into anyone as he focused his sights on Claire. The two had met what seemed like forever ago, back at that first Film Club meeting in Freshman year, and instantly hit it off as friends. She had that sort of bubbly, energetic, even a bit crazy personality that was just so endearing to him. Not to mention it was always nice to have someone to discuss pop culture with, something Jack was quite knowledgeable about.

"Hey Claire!" he called out, stepping around an older Asian couple so that there was nothing between the two.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Let's see, "Needs More Love". Budget $170 million, gross so far $92 million. What is this goddamn bullshit? This movie somehow makes less money than Jack and Jill and The Fucking Smurfs? Man, kids need to be better eduOh there's Jack!

Claire saw Jack call out for her. She smiled and put her phone away.

"Hey man, glad we can do this," said Claire.

She walked over patted his back.

"You're going to love this film. Anyone can give devalue a film simply because it wins a shit ton of awards, but this is one that rightfully deserves its praise."

Claire moved over to the ticket booth.

"Hey, one for the 6:15 Hugo."

The ticket counter guy ran it up and asked for fifteen dollars.

Holy shit that's expensive.

Claire pulled the money out of her wallet and handed it to the guy in exchange for a ticket. She stepped aside and waited for Jack to get his ticket before heading in.

"Yeah, I think the 3D of this will be good. I first saw it in 2D and it was still really gorgeous. James Cameron even said the 3D here was better than the 3D in Avatar, and if this is better than the guy known for making overblown commercial garbage that gains Oscars, then this has got to be really good."

"You feel like concessions? I feel like concessions."
Flare

Post by Flare »

Jack gave a slight smile as Claire put her phone away. Alright, that was one sort-of-crisis averted. Hopefully the night wouldn't turn out too terribly, especially considering he was actually pretty excited to see the movie.

"Same," Jack replied, picking at his fingernails a bit discreetly. He didn't want too look too disgusting, but old habits die hard.

The pat on the back sent a bit of a tingle down Jack's spine, but he mostly ignored it. The thought of it still lingered in his head, though, even as Claire continued on.

Come on, it's Claire, you've known her for four years. You're being paranoid.

Jack politely nodded at said girl's praise of the film, though his own inner thoughts had caused him to miss about half of it. Didn't want to let on to that, though.

"Uh, yeah, so I've heard. A lot of them were technical, of course, but that at least sets a nice atmosphere."

The two were walking as they talked and soon approached the ticket counter. They managed to hit the sweet gap between teens hitting the movies directly after school and families having a night out, so the wait was minimal.

"One for me too please," Jack followed up, sliding a $20 bill to the guy running the counter. When the price was read out loud, he winced a little. That $20 was all he had, so that didn't leave much for concessions.

Speaking of which, that's exactly what Claire brought up next. "Sure," Jack replied, not wanting to look cheap when it was just the two of them. If his mother had taught him anything, it was to buy just enough when with others.

Jack walked over to the concessions, weaving his way through the set-up paths as he was too polite to duck under.

"What can I get you?" the woman behind the counter inquired.

"Um..." Jack paused for a moment. He only had a few dollars left, meaning he could only buy one thing. He bit his lip, making himself a bit nervous as he didn't want to hold up the employees.

"I'll have... a Mountain Dew," he finally decided. The worker nodded and went to fill up a cup while the teen mumbled under his breath about overly expensive theater concessions.

About a half minute later, Jack had a drink in hand and was clumsily attempting to shove what little change there was into his pocket. As he finally slipped the last coins in, he turned back to Claire.

"I'll go get some straws," he said, trying his best to be helpful.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Awesome, he was going to get something from the concessions. Claire knew that concessions were where movie theaters made their money, and she might as well help keep these places alive. Claire got to the register and was asked for what she liked.

"Oh, a medium popcorn and large coke."

Claire smirked as she handed the money to the cashier. Gotta love movie snacks. Popcorn, the buttery and salty snack that makes the best crunching noises when you chew it. Coca-cola, which stays in your body for a long time so you don't have to go to the bathroom during the best parts of the film. Claire was set for the two and a half hour flick.

She saw that Jack was off to get some straws. The cashier handed Claire her order, so she went over to meet Jack.

"Okay, we're in Theater 3. Let's go."
Flare

Post by Flare »

Upon grabbing the two straws, Jack immediately pounded one of them onto the counter so that the straw pushed its way out of the wrapping. He pulled the rest of it out and stuck it into his drink, taking a light sip as Claire walked over. Didn't want to drink it all too quickly, though.

"Here," Jack said, handing the other straw to Claire. Alright, Theater 3. At least it wouldn't be a long walk. Making sure Claire was walking with him, Jack walked up to the bored looking theater worker, had his ticket ripped, received his 3D glasses, and proceeded on to the theater.

Pushing open the double doors (and remembering to hold them for his partner, another politeness tip that had been drilled into him), he looked around for open seats. Luckily, there were only a few other people there, considering the movie had been out for quite some time.

Hoping Claire was thinking along the same lines he was, Jack gestured for her to follow him and proceeded to a row somewhere near the middle. Not so close they would have to look up, but not so far that people's heads would be blocking them. Perfect.

Plopping himself down in the second seat, leaving the aisle position for Claire, Jack inserted his drink into the cup holder and leaned back, adjusting his glasses a little. He tapped his foot on the dirty floors, a tad impatient.

Hopefully the trailers will start soon. Gotta love those trailers.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

((Time skip approved))

Jack handed Claire a straw, and they made their way to the theater. Jack held the door open for her (oh my God! What a gentleman!). They soon found seats and sat down.

"Okay, Hugo, dazzle me a second time," Claire said to the screen, which was currently displaying an ad for Coca-cola.

She briefly turned to Jack. She hoped he enjoyed this movie a lot, and maybe he would find something special about spending time with her.

Just then, a trailer for The Lorax began to play.

Okay, first the crap, then the good stuff. Bring it!

The lights soon came back on in the theater. Claire didn't realize it, but she had been completely engrossed in the film. So much that she failed to get chummy with Jack.

Dammit. Why must I love this movie so much? Ah well, let's try to bring it to the next stage.

"Alright Jack? Wasn't that as good as I told you? Yeah, really good stuff all around, good performances from Hit-Girl, Gandhi, and Borat, and so very very pretty."

"You hungry? Wanna get some dinner?"

Claire walked out of the theater. This night had been pretty nice.

((Claire Monaghan continued in The Short Filmography of Claire Emilia Monaghan))
Flare

Post by Flare »

(Oh my god a quick post what is this)

Jack quietly leaned over and took another sip of Mountain Dew as the trailers started.

Dang it, at this rate, I'll be done with this before the movie's half over.

Soon enough, after some hideous trailers and a few gems, the movie started.

Aw yeah, here we go. Hopefully this'll be good. Well, Claire says it's good, and we generally agree on movies and stuff - oh, wait, Paris, gotta focus.

-

Time practically flew by, and when the credits rolled and the lights turned on, Jack could hardly believe it was over. He took the last sips of his drink - now saturated with water due to the melted ice.

That was pretty good.

Jack leaned back and nodded as Claire asked him his opinion. "Yeah, I liked it. Really liked it, actually. I'll probably like other films better, you know, but those technical awards were definitely deserved. The cinematography and scale of the effects really added to the kinda mystical atmosphere of it. Plus Sacha Baron Cohen was actually tolerable in this one," he chuckled.

During all of this talk, the two had already stood up and were moving out of the theater. Claire asked about dinner.

Biting his lip a little, Jack reached into his pockets and felt the minimal change he had left.

"Uh... sure. But... could we swing by my house first? I think I need to get some more money."

(Jack McDonald continued elsewhere)

Return to “Movie Theater”