Survival Strategy

At the front right-hand side of the storehouse is a stairwell that leads to the helipad located on the roof. Originally conceived to help with deliveries, this idea was quickly abandoned when it was found that the tumultuous weather around the island meant there would be continual delays. Instead, the helicopter was converted for use in case of a medical emergency necessitating a trip to the mainland. Now, though, the helicopter has been blown sideways and is delicately balanced half on the helipad and half off of it, perpetually appearing to be a strong breeze away from falling off the roof.
Ruggahissy

Survival Strategy

Post by Ruggahissy »

((Caleb Diamond continued from Among These Hallowed Halls)

The pair had put some distance between them and the decaying asylum. Once he was out in nature, Caleb felt a little better. He was still constantly afraid someone was going to jump out at them at any time and do something horrible. Caleb was not a fan of Halloween haunted houses and the entire island felt like a jump scare waiting to happen. Only if someone grabbed one of them, they'd get more than a scare.

Once they'd left the asylum the supply depot was visible in the distance. The map that was inside their bags showed there was a helipad which would allow them a good vantage point of much of the island. The stairwell they approached on the side of the building had a picture of a helicopter on it with an arrow pointing skyward.

They climbed the stairs and emerged on the large, flat top of the helipad. The carcass of a helicopter was teetering on the edge of the roof. Caleb sat down on the edge in the direction facing away from the small bay formed by the other two sides of the island. He sighed and looked out at the endless shimmering blue expanse. No boats, no buoys, nothing. He'd never seen anything like it. It was ocean for as far as the eye could see until the end of the world.

Caleb took his beanie off and the nautical wind brushed his bangs into his eyes and then away again. Some hairs stuck to the semi-dry blood.

"We can stay the night here I guess," he said quietly. "The only entrance up are those stairs, so no one's gonna sneak up on us. I'll post by the door and hear if anyone comes up."

Talking about night reminded him that he didn't have his insomnia medication. He'd be an excellent night watchman.
Dannyrulx†

Post by Dannyrulx† »

((Maria Cuccinotta continued from Among These Hallowed Halls))

That had certainly been an interesting experience, what with her being basially dragged along all the way from the asylum. Now that she was up here, she took a moment to look around, with the sea stretching out in front of them, the air gusting her hair all around her. Off behind them was the hunched shape of the Asylum, and it looked like there were more buildings dotted around the place as well. Really made you wonder what was so special about this island, and more to the point, where they were in the world.

She sat down by the wall and shoved her bag down, taking out her beanie to keep her ears warm. Up here, it was much chillier, so much so that any regret from her wearing warm clothes was instantly demolished in favour of an almost 'I told myself' sensation. She rubbed her arms and glanced up at the guy who had dragged her out here, noticing the little circular camera behind him as she did so.

"Caleb, what's with the panic? I mean, I get why, but it's not even been seven hours... Who's gonna snap in 7 hours?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dannyrulx. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Caleb turned around when he heard Maria speak. She was putting on a hat. He thought about how she could have benefitted from eating a few more sandwiches in her life. With someone like that, the wind would pass right through them.

Based on her estimate and how the sun was starting to dip towards the ocean, it was maybe 5 or 6 o'clock. He almost answered her derisively because it was the knee-jerk reaction, but the way she asked stopped him as soon as he opened his mouth.

There was an innocent simplicity in the question that made him contemptuous and envious. "You....you don't know people, then."

He got up and walked over to her and sat next to her against the wall. Caleb wrapped his hand around the metal collar hanging in front of his throat and pulled until it tugged against the back of his neck.

"This has happened five times before and every time, there's a massive slaughter. People are assholes and if they feel like they're allowed to be assholes, they will be. People are selfish and they're stupid., double for teenagers. I'd bet you a ration bar someone's already dead."

He pulled his knees up and let go of the collar. He mussed up his hair and and looked at the ground by his shoes.

"You don't feel like Sandy was about to snap? Looked like it. You can't trust anyone and we're both going to die. The sooner you realize that, the better."

Caleb pulled the map out of his pocket and studied the legend, looking up to see if he could match the features to what they could see.
Dannyrulx†

Post by Dannyrulx† »

"Caleb, you're way too pessimistic. I mean, the likely hood is that neither of us will win, but on the other hand..." She drew out her sword from the makeshift belt-loop scabbard, and caught the light on the edge of the blade. "I've sharpened and cared for blades longer than you've jerked off for. All I need is a healthy glob of luck and I've got a chance."

She lay the blade out in front of her and brought her knees towards her chest, pulling her jumper over them as she did so. "Also, no bet. You're right." She didn't appreciate the tone, but under the circumstances, she could let it go. Her voice was a bit more sober, and her face had hardened, and she breathed out hard before continuing.

"I just really hope my Dad doesn't do anything crazy, y'know? He lost my mum when I was born, and now this. He's gotten worse as well. Stays indoors more often, doesn't talk to people. He's getting on a bit, I know that, but it worries me, y'know?"

She paused and glanced up to where Caleb was looking at the map. "What about you? Any Diamonds you want to stay safe back home? I don't really know much about your family to be honest..."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dannyrulx. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"'Win'," he repeated after her, using his fingers to make quotes around the word while she kept talking. Using his hands meant he let go of the map which nearly blew away. He managed to grab it before it flew off.

He sighed deeply, somewhat exasperated. "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

He'd looked at the map enough and it wasn't going to give him any more new information. He wished it would be like that map in Harry Potter that showed where people were. Caleb was now aware of the general layout, but not much else. She asked him about his family.

"I've got two brothers that go to Cochise. James is a sophomore. Andy is my twin in the same grade. Andy is- he's like me, but you know, handsomer and funnier, with more friends. He had to miss the trip. Doubt anyone's going to miss me much and my parents will get over it. When there's only one of you, I can see why you want to survive more."

He folded the map up and shoved it in his pocket. Caleb shook his head and crossed his arms and sat with his back leaning against the wall.

"I don't want to talk about me. What's your dad like?" he said quickly, grasping for a new path of conversation.
Dannyrulx†

Post by Dannyrulx† »

"Ever seen that mythbusters episode? Under 20 feet and the knife wins. Takes too long to draw and flick the saftey off. You're right though. It's not winning, it's surviving. And you shouldn't speak like that. I bet there's someone who would miss you if you didn't come back. Some guy or gal who would never get the chance to ask for a date, some acquaintance who would have loved to know you."

As a matter of fact, she had known about Andy, mostly because Andy had been a dick to one of her friends over and over again.

"You asked about my dad, yeah? He's a water engineer. I've never really been interested in his work, but it is important in the grand scheme of things. My mum was a jeweller. As a matter of fact, this is one of her peices..." She shifted a simple chain put from under her jumper and showed the dangling gem off of the end of it. "Nothing complicated. Blued silver with a steel and sapphire charm. I don't have much else to remember her by."

She sat back and breathed out, her breath starting to fog in the air, and it reminded her of something. "Caleb, you smoke, don't you? Got a spare one?"
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"I don't watch t.v-" he managed to squeeze in, eyes closed and pinching the bridge of his nose.. He pulled his hands down his face, stretching the skin down giving him the appearance of an extra exaggerated frown.

"Girls don't fucking like me," he said emphatically, sticking his lower jaw out and pulling his lips over his teeth to create maximum old-man face. "Not that it matters anymore." Caleb released his face skin and he returned to normal.

He never tried that hard, mostly because he thought he would be rejected anyway. Though many times when people annoyed him at school and he lashed out with something nasty and impulsive. It was fine though, he always covered himself by saying "Remember, I, Andy Diamond, have just been a dick to you!" when people looked really pissed off.

Thankfully she moved on to the topic he'd asked about. He started thinking about maybe lighting up another cigarette, though getting the lighter catch would be a bitch up on the helipad.

"Too bad, it sounds like an interesting job," he said, sincerely. He put his arms up, stretching while looking at the pendant. He shrugged as if to agree that not having a mom sucked.

As if he were reading his mind she asked him for one of his cigarettes. He narrowed his eyes and sat up.

"This is for all intents and purposes the end of the world and these are all that make me even a little bit happy," he said patting his pocket. "Trade you," he said pulling out one cigarette with his thumb and pointer finger. He leaned forward. "For the sword."
Dannyrulx†

Post by Dannyrulx† »

"Caleb, let me tell you a little story. One day, way back when, I got a set of knives for my birthday. It was my first set of knives, and I used them over and over again, so happy that I was on my first step to becoming a 'real' chef. In fact, I used them so much that I cut through something I really shouldn't have cut through." She held up her hand, showing the missing finger.

"I was lucky, actually, because I sliced straight through the joint that held them together. No messy cuts in the bone. I still have those knives. In fact, I have three more sets of knives now, and all of them are sharp enough to slice a million fingers off. They are my babies, and I don't rely on them to protect myself."

"Now guess what my answer will be. Or don't, because you probably know the answer already." She lent back, head resting against the wall and sighed. "And girls do like you Caleb. You just never... Tried. Anything. Y'know Jessica? One of the girls I hang out with? She liked you. Kid called Sam who thought you were pretty cool. You were just so damn... distant.  

"But hey, that's not really my business. I'm sociable, the next person might not be. You're one of the ones who ain't that sociable, and to be judgemental of that would be fucking insane." She put extra emphasis on the swear word, as if to stress that him swearing had really not been needed.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Okay, but this isn't those. This is some random sword you just met that people who hope you die gave you. It would make more sense if you just told me it's your weapon and told me to fuck off."

He twirled the single cigarette around his fingers like a miniature baton. He stuck his tongue out at her and shut one eye briefly when she held up her finger stub.

"I've never known a Jessica OR a Sam in my life. I have no idea who you're talking about, so if they exist, which I'm dubious on since I've been going to the same school with the same kids longer than you, then they're pretty damn unsociable themselves."

He mimed pointing to his left and then made a shocked face. He held his hand out and shook an invisible hand. Caleb mimed being slapped and rubbed his chin.

"Jessica and I talked it out and I think you got your wires crossed."

He waved the whole issue away and moved in closer, holding the cigarette between his thumb and pointer finger again.

"I have another idea. I'll give you this if you help me out with something."
Dannyrulx†

Post by Dannyrulx† »

"Ok, yeah, you got me. Both of thise were kids I knew back in England. Still, betcha there's some people who wouldn't mind being your friend Caleb. I mean, despite what you think, generally people do have some friends. Just a few."

"Why do you want the sword so bad anyway? What did you get for a weapon anyway?" She cast her mind back, and realised that he had been holding something in his hand. It had been rubbery, floppy, and had looked like...

"Well, sucks to be you. At least you're not a crook though!" The joke fell flat. Har har, Nixon mask, not a crook. It was about as hilarious as making an 'I did not have a sexual relationship with that ___' Clinton joke. "That joke was bad and I feel bad. Do tell me what you need helpihg out with though, maybe I won't fuck it up as badly as I did my brief career as a televised comedian."

She stressed the 'televised part,' and her eyes flicked to the camera behind them, as if to remind him that this shit would be going on air sooner or later. She had never really payed any attention to SOTF really, but she did know that it was only aired after it was over, to prevent people locating them early.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Thanks for your concern, but I have friends," he said flatly. "I'm not a total loser. Only a partial loser. You've even seen one of these elusive creatures when you asked me and Kimiko for cash at the ice cream place."

Maria had noticed the Nixon mask hanging out of his pocket, where it had been since he'd been in the library. "Out of the two people who made a Nixon joke at me, I'd rank you number 2."

She made special note that they were on tv, but he couldn't care less. He'd be dead soon so it's not like he'd live to see the consequences of anything he'd done being streamed or aired or whatever.

"You see that helicopter over there?" he said, motioning with his eyes in the direction of the aircraft. He stuck the cigarette in his back pocket and stood up.

"I took a peek and it looks like they're some blankets and rope inside. If we get the rope I can set up a trip by the stairs. The door pulls inward and it's the only way up here. If someone tries to come up during the night, they'll fall flat on their face. If we move somewhere later and want to step up camp, we can do the same thing or rig up something to make noise. The blankets are obvious, they'll just make it more comfortable overnight. I might unsettle the thing, but your narrow ass could get the stuff."
Dannyrulx†

Post by Dannyrulx† »

She looked at the helicopter, then Caleb. Caleb, then helicopter. She took a deep breath, then expressed herself in fhe simplest and clearest way she could:

"Are you titsfuckingly insane?!?!"

"That thing looks like it's a stiff breeze away from being a prop in a Micheal Bay film! And besides, whilst I appreciate you calling me skinny, i'm still one-ten. No way that flimsy-ass balancing act is gonna hold an extra fifty kilos of moving teenager without toppling into the sea."

Speak of the devil, the helicopter creaked and groaned as a gust of sea air hit it. "No way potential dying by falling off a goddamn cliff is worth a single fag mate." A seagull cawed above them, and she saw a flock pulling together over the water, sprialling around and calling out excitedly.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Don't be a pussy. Do you have something better to do?"

His eyes widened and he gestured towards the perilous vehicle.

"The items are valuable given the situation and I don't think we've got anyone much lighter than 110 in class. Once you get in, you can tie the rope around yourself and toss it out if you want extra security. The opening is huge so if you think it's slipping even a little you can jump back out. The smoke is just a bonus. Come on. Come on. Comeoncomeoncomeoncomeon."
Dannyrulx†

Post by Dannyrulx† »

"THIS IS PEER PRESSURE!" She jokingly shouted, before looking at the thing. "If it creaks once, I'm out Caleb. Not risking it."

She got up slowly, banging her hands together to get the creeping numbness that had been crawling in out of them. The chopper seemingly loomed in front of her as she approached, and she peered around. The rope was the closest, but there was what looked like an emergency medical blanket very close as well.

There was a thermos flask that had rolled sideways against one of the seat rails, and...
There was another medical kit. If she could reach it, the two would be in a much better position...  Or not, as she realised that it was open, and she was actually seeing the inside of the door, enpty. Damn. Would have been useful if it had contained gear, as this looked like some kind of medvac helicopter, so it probably had had a lot more potent stuff than what they had.

"Caleb, your skinny ass better be ready to grab any stuff."
"Or me..."
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

She gritted her teeth.

((Jasmine King, continued from Selected Poems of Emily Dickinson))

Apparently she hadn't found the other side, after all. She could see the building she had left earlier from here, down the stairs. That was annoying. Apparently she had spent what was probably hours just going in a circle. Apparently all the time she had spent in there could have been avoided by just simply turning left or right or whatever direction this place happened to be in. She breathed out, tingly sensation rising slightly through her nose. Oh well, at least this was someplace new. She'd rather be outside of the place or inside a more secure room but she supposed above where she was would also suit her, for the most part. So long as there were people she could join up with? She didn't mind where she was. Except for like, a volcano or something. Or that bathtub room again. She imagined that there were more places right now that she wouldn't want to be in but she could push those thoughts back, slightly. This was a new place. Potentially with new people. Getting up there was what should be at the forefront, right now.

And so that was what she did. She walked up the five stairs she had before she reached the top. It wasn't hard. Not at all.

There was a slight jolt as she reached the top, though. There were people. In the distance. She couldn't recognise them from here. She could tell that it was a boy wearing a beanie and a girl with chin-length hair, but that didn't tell her anything. She got their fashion sense, but even if it was someone that she personally knew she wouldn't know that. Which was annoying. Less so than other incidents since it was unavoidable but it still rose up, slightly. At least she knew it wasn't someone she had met earlier? That was slightly good, as it meant a brand new chance. She breathed out, sensation still rising in her nose. She would take that. It was honestly something that didn't mean anything but if it allowed her to remain slightly positive, she would take it.

They didn't see her. They were more focused on the helicopter in front of them. She turned her head, slightly. It didn't look like it was going to stay on the building for much longer. Oh well. If it meant that they weren't looking behind them she didn't mind. It'd give her more time to figure out how to approach the two of them. What words to say. If they were people she didn't like, it was going to take some effort for her to be able to convince them to let her-

A sound suddenly came out of her throat as her body jerked, thin watery mucus spurting out of her nose.
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

B003: Jeremy Frasier — "Yeah. No regrets." — 57%
Kills: 2 | Equipped with: Scoped Raging Bull, $1000, Wooden Baseball Bat, Eyepatch, Pancor Jackhammer
PREGAME — Past: ☆ ☆ ☆ | Present: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ | Sadie Hawkins: ☆ ☆
V6: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
THEME: OneRepublic — Love Runs Out

B013: Alvaro Vacanti — "Thank... you..." — 41%
Kills: 3 | Equipped with: MAC-10
PREGAME — Past: ❇ ❇ ❇ | Present: ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ | Sadie Hawkins: ❇ ❇
V6: ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇
THEME: The Megas — The Haystack Principle

G030: Jasmine King — "I win." — 11%
Kills: 0 | Equipped with: Brass Knuckles
PREGAME — Past: | Present: ☻ ☻ ☻ | Sadie Hawkins: ☻
V6: ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻
THEME: Luck Ganriki — golden sneer
[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

Nicholas "Nick Andretti" Andretti — The Mercenary — "Have a problem? I can help you. For a price."
Clover Wilkinson-Crowheart — The Cryptid — "Don't... talk to me..."
Teddy "Theodore" Berenson — The Crusader — "Be excellent to each other."
Yong Yi "Penny" Yu — The Burnout — "I DO TWO THINGS I RAP AND FUCK"

Return to “The Helipad”