Bookworms

Semi-Private: Please PM before entry

Here is where all threads set in the past belong. This is the place to post your characters' memories, good or bad, major or insignificant. Handlers may have one active memory thread at the same time as their normal active present-day thread. Memory one-shots are always acceptable.
VysePresident

Bookworms

Post by VysePresident »

It's the little things that get to you, sometimes. Like, say, leaving the lunch you packed for school sitting on the kitchen counter at home. Ian sighed a bit in amused disgust as he set his tray down on an empty table, away from the annoying radios blaring to the side. He'd managed to fail Lunch. Surely his GPA was doomed.

It was better to laugh than cry, really. It wasn't like his disappointment could change anything. He couldn't help but be a little frustrated, though. The food in the school wasn't inedible, but he'd packed a much better meal than the small, rather greasy hamburger and fries he was looking at now. The thing was, he wasn't used to having to bring his own lunch with him yet.

Ian was still quite new to Aurora High School, and public education in general. He'd been a homeschooler in Texas until recently, and was still getting used to all the differences in his life, minor and major. It had been a pretty stressful change, and he couldn't help but miss his old home. It was something that he was still a little unhappy about, though he kept that to himself. The rest of his family had enough to deal with already without him adding to their problems. With both of his parents working now to cope with the expense of the move, he'd tried to act, if not overwhelmingly positive, then at least open-minded for his siblings' sake.

To be honest, Ian had to admit to himself that the move hadn't been as bad as he'd feared initially. While he still didn't like the switch to public school, he'd already adapted to his new schedule without any real problems. Well, barring the occasional dumb mistake, like, say, leaving his lunch behind. He'd even taken the plunge and joined a couple of clubs that caught his interest, and so far that was working out pretty well. He'd really enjoyed the Book Club meeting the other night, and he thought he was well on his way to making a few new friends.

Speaking of which, he was actually looking forward to meeting with one of them any minute now, to borrow a book. He'd had fun talking with a guy called Maynard, who'd taken pity on the newbie, and they'd turned out to have similar interests in literature, particularly epic fantasy. Ian had expressed an interest in the Wheel of Time when the series came up in their conversation, and Maynard had offered to lend him the first book at school, during lunch break. He'd gladly accepted, appreciating the friendly offer. So, yeah, it was an uncomfortable change, but it wasn't all bad by a long shot.

He started on his burger while waiting. It wasn't the best thing he'd ever had, of course, but it was better than he'd expected.
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Maynard had never been a social butterfly.

That said, he wasn't entirely rendered mute when around others, and the arrival of a new member of the school's fledgling book club had piqued his interest considerably. His name was Ian, and Maynard had taken the rather bold (well, to him it was bold) move of attempting to befriend him. Thankfully, such motions of friendship were reciprocated, and the two had engaged in a rather energetic conversation about their mutual interest in fantasy.

The boy was meek and an introvert, according to Maynard's initial impression of him, and he hoped that such a personality would remain so. He didn't meld well with particularly gregarious members of the student body; their unintentionally intimidating nature proved friendship or even acquaintanceship to be too difficult for him. Thus, with Ian Williams, he hoped to add another to his somewhat lacking social circle.

Approaching the school cafeteria, he pulled off his rucksack to double-check its contents: a lunchbox with a packet of Doritos and diced celery, and a tentatively placed copy of The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. It was one of the older copies, not an original, but not one of the recent rereleases, and he'd carefully enwrapped it in a plastic bag that morning as he'd prepared for school. His fingers gently brushed the opaque film; he was thankful for its presence. If he'd forgotten it he was sure he could've mumbled an excuse of some kind, but he didn't want to taint the chances of what could evolve into a special friendship.

Clutching his bag to his chest, he nudged open the door of the lunch room with a worn heel, and surveyed the near empty area. His eyes quickly fell on their target; the sandy haired burger eater.

Well. That ruled out any chance of vegetarianism as a mutual interest.

Shuffling towards Ian, Maynard coughed, gently placing his bag onto a vacant seat and smiled as he sat down.

"Uh, hi Ian! Good to see you again."
VysePresident

Post by VysePresident »

Speaking of the devil, there he was, entering the cafeteria right now. Well, minus the devil part, anyway. It was hard to think of Maynard as all that intimidating. Ian smiled a bit in amusement at the thought, as Maynard messed with his bag.

Actually, he'd gotten the impression that Maynard was a bit of an introvert himself, despite his friendly gesture the other night. That had actually worked out pretty well. While Ian didn't mind extroverts all that much, at least in moderate doses, he'd found that he generally preferred to hang around with fellow introverts. They were usually easier to get along with, and didn't leave him feeling slightly inadequate for not talking more.....

He jumped a little when he heard a quiet cough nearby, followed quickly by a greeting as Maynard sat down. He'd been too lost in thought to notice that Maynard had finished whatever he was doing with his rucksack. Ian had failed Basic Attention as well. Strike two, genius. He smiled back a little sheepishly as he answered, "Hey! Good to see you too, pal! How's life been treating you?"

He'd hesitated ever so slightly before saying 'pal', much to his frustration. Ironically, he'd hesitated for fear of sounding awkward. Nice job avoiding that one, Ian. He wasn't normally a particularly shy person, but he'd been a little overly cautious since joining Aurora High School. It was intimidating, being the new guy. Ah, well. Hopefully Maynard wouldn't take it the wrong way, assuming he'd even noticed. Ian shifted his chair a little to face Maynard better, looking forward to talking with his friend. Fair enough to call him that, right?
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Pal?

Hmm.

Okay, Maynard. There are several ways you can respond to this. The ones that you probably shouldn't pick are "Aaaagh, no one's ever called me 'pal' before! That's so sweet! Aaagh!" or "I'm sorry I made you jump! Are you okay?"

Probably best to...acknowledge it at least.

"Uh...yeah, I've been great! Just schoolwork and stuff. What about you...pal?"

He paused before saying "pal", much like Ian had. In fact, it almost sounded like he was mocking the newbie, so similar was the delivery.

Now now, Maynard. Don't be so critical of yourself. He couldn't read THAT deep into it, could he? It wasn't intended or anything. Leave it, okay? Just...once?

He pulled out the recycled takeout container that constituted his lunchbox, as well as the hefty tome that was book one of The Wheel of Time, gently placing them upon the table's polished surface.

"It's...a bit scuffed. I hope that's alright," he mumbled, waving towards the book.

A pause.

"Is your burger nice?"
VysePresident

Post by VysePresident »

For a moment, Ian thought Maynard was making fun of him, before chalking the thought up to paranoia. His new friend didn't exactly seem to be the kind of person to take offense that easily. If anything, Maynard seemed confused rather than sarcastic. It was probably better to just move on.

"I'm doing pretty well too, all things considered. No worries about the book."

He looked towards the book in question as Maynard talked. He was grateful to see that his friend had thought to wrap it in a plastic bag, as he hadn't thought to worry about getting grease on his hands. Ian had generally tried to be careful of other people's property, and he appreciated when they made it easier to do so. While the scuffed edges of the book indicted that Maynard wasn't all that fussy about what condition his books were in, Ian didn't care to risk a potential friendship on something stupid.

He laughed ruefully when Maynard asked him about his meal. "It's not too bad. It's a bit greasy, but not as bad as I'd thought when I realized I hadn't brought my lunch with me. I...well....I'm still a bit used to being able to set my own schedule, you see. I've never been a morning person, and in the rush out the door, I kind of forgot to bring it with me."

"I hope you don't mind if I put the book with my stuff so I don't wind up forgetting it too? I don't exactly have the best track record today" he finished sheepishly.
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Ian was a sweet kid, that was for sure. His nervousness might prove odd to some people, but Maynard found it endearing. He'd never experienced such a dramatic change in schedule as Ian had, so he couldn't exactly relate to him on that point, but he could relate to forgetting lunches, and that was something, surely?

Speaking of lunches...

He glanced down at his lunchbox. It seemed...somewhat pitiful in hindsight. He made a mental note to prepare his next school lunch the night before, and not spend three hours trying to find something that rhymed with "burgundy." Pulling a sliver of celery from his bag, he began to nibble on it as Ian asked if he could put The Eye of the World in his bag.

"Yeah, sure! I don't mind if you do. Yeah...I've never been a connoisseur of Aurora High's extremely high quality cuisine, so I can't really comment. Um...I have some celery and Doritos if you'd like some. And...how're your classes going?"

Maynard smiled. It wasn't often that a kid like Ian came along, and he was glad that he'd been able to establish a friendship with him as early as they had.
VysePresident

Post by VysePresident »

"Thanks! I'll just put it in here, then."

Ian placed the book carefully in his pack as Maynard continued talking. He chuckled a little at Maynard's comment on Aurora's quality, or the lack thereof. His offer to share his lunch was tempting, but Ian was a bit hesitant to take him up on it. On the one hand, he didn't want to abuse his friend's generosity. He didn't really have all that much to offer in return, and Maynard's lunch seemed rather meager anyway. On the other hand, it seemed a bit rude to refuse outright, so he tried for a compromise.

"Well, I'll be glad to trade you a few fries for a celery stick, if you're interested? It would be kind of nice to have something vaguely healthy with this." he said, making a small gesture towards his meal as he talked. He wasn't sure if the offer would interest Maynard, particularly given that the fries weren't exactly high quality, but as least it salved his conscience a little.

His next question forced Ian to pause a second to think. His classes....hmm....

"Well...they're actually going pretty well, I guess. I wish I could work on my own schedule, like I used to, but the subjects are pretty much the same from when I was homeschooling. English is still my kryptonite, while math is pretty easy for me, for all it's problems, if you pardon the horrible pun?" he said with a small laugh.

It was the realization that he didn't actually hate the shift to public school as much as part of him wanted to that had given him pause. It wasn't that he'd come to like the change, but in all honesty, he was getting used to it faster than he cared to admit. He wasn't quite sure what to make of that, at this point. It was something to think about.
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Ian had actually accepted his offer of a slice of celery. It was a rare occurrence, in truth. Even with a more properly prepared lunch, Maynard's choice of cuisine wasn't exactly the most appealing. But Ian had accepted, with the promise of fries in exchange. Maynard's eyes glanced towards the pile of fried potato. Aurora High's fries weren't the most appealing on the market, but they were tolerable enough.

Huh. "Fries" and "High's" rhyme. Maybe I can work this into something somehow.

"Uh...sure!"

Maynard unrolled the sheet of clingfilm he'd wrapped his celery in. He glanced at the half dozen slivers of celery it contained. All six of them were neatly cut diagonally, giving a slightly fancier appearance than Maynard had intended.

Maynard...stop thinking about the way you cut your celery last nig - or was it this morning? Oh, it doesn't matter. Just give Ian some!

Maynard picked up half of the segments and gently placed them on Ian's tray, beside his half finished burger, and plucked a single fry from the pile. He chewed pensively as Ian answered his query about schoolwork, and had to suppress a snort at Ian's pun, half-choking on the fry as he did so.

"I...I'm sorry. I...really? Huh. I mean, I'm terrible at Mathematics. Like...I can do the basics of most Mathematics stuff, but the rest is just so darned confusing. English on the other hand I'm okay at. Huh. Have you ever wondered why people say that? 'On the other hand'? I-"

Maynard, shut up. Change the subject or something but...shut up!

"Uh...never mind. Anyway, if you're good at Math and I'm good at English...maybe we could help each other out! And I...you mentioned kryptonite. Are you a fan of Superman?"
VysePresident

Post by VysePresident »

Maynard wasn't exactly helping salve Ian's conscience. Ian had intended to let Maynard take however much he wanted, but his friend seemed a bit hesitant to take him up on it, seeing as how he'd only taken a single fry. Ian wasn't sure if his friend was just as reluctant to impose as he had been, or if he just didn't care for the fries. Still, he wanted to make sure Maynard knew the offer was open, in case it was only the former.

"You can take as many fries as you want. I mean, I don't mind at all. I'm not all that hungry today, anyway". Ian said, more politely than accurately. It was technically true, at least, although Ian probably wouldn't have any actual trouble finishing his meal. He had a surprisingly voracious appetite for his size, and his meal wasn't really all that large. Still, he owed his new friend, and this seemed a good place to start.

He picked up a piece of celery and started chewing on it as his friend continued talking. The cool, crisp taste was quite good after the greasy fries.

Maynard's reaction to his pun was slightly comical, although Ian didn't let his amusement reach his face. He kind of suspected his friend might be as nervous as he'd been earlier, and he didn't want to make things any more awkward for him. Of course, despite his effort, this impression was quickly supported soon afterwards. Ian didn't really mind all that much when Maynard started talking about odd phrases, especially since he didn't really care to try discussing his difficulties with English. Unfortunately, his friend seemed to be a bit flustered, and even embarrassed as he shifted back to their main conversation, leaving Ian looking for a way to set his friend at ease.

"Nah, it's an interesting thought, though I can't say I have the answer." he said. "Actually, when I was a kid, I kind of liked to think about random questions like that. Things like whether we all see colors the same way, that sort of thing. That actually got me a little interested in philosophy, though I didn't really get into it until a couple years back...". He slowly trailed off as he finished. It was Ian's turn to feel a bit flustered, as he'd generally tried to avoid the subject. He didn't really think Maynard would be all that likely to jump on him for being interested in philosophy, but he was worried that the subject might lead to some touchy issues. While he enjoyed having a friendly discussion about his beliefs, he knew his views were in the minority in Seattle, and he wasn't about to risk alienating his new friend quite yet. So, fully recognizing the irony, he found himself retreating to the main subject. With any luck, Maynard would just nod and move on...y'know, like he hadn't done just a moment ago.

"Er.....well, anyway, I doubt you're interested in that. So anyway, I can't honestly say I've read any comic books. I just picked up the phrase from my parents. They were both pretty big fans when they were kids, they tell me. Why do you ask? Do you have any you'd recommend?" Ian was genuinely curious. He really didn't know all that much about his friend's interest outside of literature, he realized. It'd be kind of cool if they could find a few others they had in common. Not that it would be necessary; he was used to having friends with completely different interests. Still, one could hope.

"Oh, and I'll be glad to help you with math if you want. I don't know why, but it's always come pretty easily to me. I've just always found it made so much more sense than English. I mean, there a right answer, and a wrong one, and it's a logical process. English just feels awkward for me. I've never been all that good at expressing my thoughts, and well, that's kind of the point of the subject."

He glanced at his watch as he finished talking. There was still a comfortable amount of time to talk, but it reminded him to start on his burger again. No sense in going hungry.
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

"Hmm?" Maynard swallowed what little remained of his fry as Ian told him that he could take more. Ack, now you're looking ungrateful. Maynard...do you ever wonder where your lack of social tact came from? He nodded as he pulled another three from the pile, and nibbled on them pensively. "Oh, yeah...yeah, I'm sorry. I'm not a big eater, really. I didn't want to overstep the boundaries or anything. I've never been the most socially skilled kid in this place. The celery...d'you like it? It's a bit wilted."

Ian elected not to ignore Maynard's non-sequitur. Which was a rarity, in truth. His parents just generally ignored him when he blurted out something completely unrelated to the subject at hand, so Ian picking up on it was somewhat surprising. The boy didn't seem too bothered by it either, which proved promising.

"Comics, huh? Well, I'm not too much of a fan of American comics. Manga and stuff on the other hand...that's just really awesome! I don't know why I favour that stuff over American series - I mean, there're lots of good ones, I guess, but I've just never taken with them as I've done with Black Butler and stuff. I think I've got a few volumes of manga at home that I got for Christmas; I could lend them to you if you'd like. See if you like them."

He swallowed, and pulled another fry from the mound before him. They weren't too bad, in actuality. A little bit salty, but that could easily be counterbalanced by the nearby water fountain. As long as he didn't get it all over himself, as he was prone to do.

It wasn't until Maynard was halfway through this latest fry when he finally picked up on what Ian had briefly mentioned. Philosophy, huh? A touchy subject. Just nod, Maynard. That usually works. Or, y'know, you could just not mention-

"Oh, you're interested in philosophy? Tell me more..."
VysePresident

Post by VysePresident »

So Maynard had been worried about pushing him too far, after all. Heh.

It wasn't exactly a surprise, but he had to smile a little at the irony. It was funny to think how both of them had been so worried about stepping on the other's toes, so to speak. Oddly enough, it also left him feeling a bit more confident. Not that he was going to be any less careful, but it was comforting to know that he wasn't the only one feeling a bit nervous. Of course, recognizing that fact meant it was up to him to help out as best he could.

"No, it's not a problem. I'd just wanted to let you know the offer was still open. Actually," he said with a rueful laugh, "I've kind of been less than socially adept myself lately, so I'll be glad to not bite if you won't, okay?"

"Seriously though, if you think you have any social problems, I can't say I've noticed them. If anything, you were pretty cool taking the time to talk with me the other night. So, umm, thanks for that." His words came out a bit more awkwardly than he would have liked, but he didn't let it get to him too much. By this point, he was reasonably sure Maynard wasn't going to make a big deal of it. It was certainly true enough. Really, he hadn't noticed anything worse than a little bit of nervousness on Maynard's part, and it wasn't like he couldn't sympathize with that. So, moving on - er, wait. He'd nearly forgotten to acknowledge that last part. "Oh, and the celery's fine. It's a pretty nice change, after all that grease n' stuff."

So, moving on again - philosophy. Darn, Maynard hadn't let the subject drop.

Well, this could be fun, or really bad. He'd probably be better off sticking to something simple and safe. But...at the same time, he was a bit curious if it was something they could discuss on reasonably friendly terms. He'd keep it simple, at least, in case Maynard was just being polite, but he probably wasn't in any real danger sharing a little bit. Maybe he could feel out where his friend stood on these things, or if he even cared.

"Umm, I don't really know if you'd find it that interesting. Basically, like I said, when I was a kid, I'd liked to spend time thinking about questions like that. I mean, some of them might be a little silly, like whether colors look differently to different people, but I'd thought they were interesting. I didn't really get too interested in it, though, until a couple years back. Long story short, I discovered authors like G.K. Chesterton and C.S. Lewis, and I found that I really enjoyed their brilliant, witty insights. They're probably still my favorites, actually." he said, thankfully with no noticeable nervousness in his voice. He'd go ahead and leave it here. If Maynard wanted to pursue it, it was fine. If not, well, that'd probably be for the best.

Movning on yet again - comics.

It was getting a little difficult for him to juggle all the subjects they were trying to talk about now. It felt almost like they were having two or three conversations at once, but at least it was better than an awkward silence. Anyway, he was pleasantly surprised to see how enthusiastic Maynard became as he started talking about manga. Not that he really knew all that much about it of course, but hopefully that meant his friend was feeling a bit more at ease. That'd make things more comfortable.

So, he needed to decide if he should take Maynard up on his offer. He kind of wanted to, at least to see if they had another common interest, but he already had a book to read first. Besides, he wasn't entirely sure if he'd like manga, and it would kind of suck for both of them if he borrowed one and he didn't care for it. It was probably better just to stall on the offer, if Maynard was willing, and just learn a bit about his friend's interests first.

"I don't know if it would be a good idea for me to take you up on your offer right now, since I don't want to steal your whole library at once, y'know? If you don't mind waiting until I can finish the Wheel of Time books, it'd probably be better. Maybe you could tell a bit about some of your favorites?"
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

"Heh. I'll be sure not to! You can be sure of that."

Maynard grinned. He was feeling more at home with the newcomer, and hoped that their fledgling friendship would last for years to come. He could always do with a few more friends, and Ian seemed like a perfect one.

"Oh, you're welcome. No need to thank me, really. I thought I'd welcome the newcomer for once. Never know what'll happen, do you? Oh and, yeah...the fries are a bit salty. I'd go over to the fountain, but I'd probably trip over or get it all over myself. I don't suppose you have a water bottle with you?"

Maynard shifted in his seat. You ought not to sit so stiffly.

"Hmm...that does sound pretty interesting. We should discuss it in depth sometime! D'you think you could lend me some of your...philosophical texts?"

Okay, you've officially solidified yourself as a nerd, Maynard. The other guys exchange porno mags, and you exchange fantasy novels and essays. Wow. And now, onto anime again. Maynard hoped Ian would like it if he got around to watching or reading any of it. It didn't really matter though, he thought. They had fantasy, and that was enough. Right?

"Hmm...well like I said, there's Black Butler, that's one of my favourites. It's about a twelve-year-old in Victorian England who works for the queen, and he and his butler have adventures. There's also his other servants - a maid, a gardener, and a cook - and his fiancée, as well as a few other recurring characters. It's a really good read. There's also Death Note as well, but that series is quite depressing, really. Well, that comes with the territory with a story about a teenager who gets a book in which he can write anybody's name, which consequently kills them. What else is there...there's also the more popular ones, like Naruto and One Piece and Bleach. There's so much stuff...it's difficult to find where to start."

Maynard paused to breathe. He wasn't often the giver of long speeches - especially ones with people he didn't know very well - so he was quite proud of himself. A little bit nervous as well, though. Had he been too enthusiastic? Was there such a thing as too much enthusiasm? Probably.
VysePresident

Post by VysePresident »

'"Heh, yeah, true enough. It's funny how things work out sometimes, y'know?"

Ian grinned back as he answered. The awkwardness from earlier was pretty much gone, and the conversation was already feeling a lot more enjoyable as a result. It was good not to have to worry about that anymore. Except for a little shyness, Maynard was a genuinely decent guy, and Ian was glad that to have him for a friend.

"Hmm? Oh, yeah, I should have a water bottle in my pack, if you can wait a moment."

He was already reaching down to root through his bag, until he found what he was looking for. He frowned at the water bottle a little when he realized it was his only one, but he passed it to Maynard without hesitation. He wasn't sure why the other boy didn't want to use the water fountain, but he owed his new friend, and this was an easy thing to do, really. Besides, it wasn't like he couldn't use the water fountain, later.

Ian was pleasantly surprised when Maynard showed an interest in philosophy, even asking if he could borrow some texts. Of course, there was a cynical voice in the back of his mind, reminding him that his faith could be a very touchy subject with some people, and that was what most of his books were focused on. While he was usually pretty comfortable sharing his point of view with somebody he trusted not to get upset, he hated to risk alienating his new friend this early on. Maybe it was cowardly, maybe it was just polite, but at the very least he wanted to warn Maynard, and let him decide if he were interested.

"That sounds pretty cool! I don't mind lending you some stuff, if you're interested. Fair warning though, most of my preferred reading tends to focus on Christianity, and I'm not sure how you'd feel about that? I suppose I could find something a little more general, if you'd prefer? Either way, if you're good with it, then I'd be glad to share."

He hoped that Maynard would be open to either idea. It would be fun having someone to talk with, even in the likely case that they disagreed. There was always something to be learned from a discussion, even if it wasn't necessarily what you expected.

So, anyway, moving on, Maynard was clearly enjoying himself talking about various anime and manga he liked, and some of his enthusiasm was rubbing off on Ian. He'd have to seriously consider checking back with him, once he finished the book he'd already borrowed.

"Well, I'm definitely interested. Like I said, I'd like to stick with borrowing one book at a time, but I'd love to check back with you again sometime, if you don't mind holding the offer? Also, I was wondering---

The school bell, with its wonderful sense of timing, had chosen that moment to interrupt and start ringing for the next class.

"Heh, darn. Well, never mind, I guess. I'd probably better get running." he said, with a wry smile. "It was good talking with you, pal! Later!"

It was hard to believe how quickly the time had flown. He'd hoped to talk a bit more, but at least he was leaving the conversation on a good note. As he left the cafeteria, he smiled. Maynard was already proving to be a great friend, and that was at least one pleasant thing to help him deal with Aurora. Perhaps he'd been a bit unfair to the place. For all his dislike of the switch to public school, he had to admit Aurora High had its bright spots. Life wasn't perfect, but that didn't mean it couldn't be good......

....Mostly.
((Ian Williams continued elsewhere......))
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Maynard gulped happily from the bottle as Ian passed it to him, until he realised that he'd drained it considerably more than he'd intended.

"Uh...sorry...kinda got carried away there, I guess. Heh."

He slowly slid the bottle back towards the other poor, and adjusted his seat. He was feeling more at home now. It was good. Awkwardness had followed Maynard since he was a little boy, and any attempts at dispelling it had always ended in disaster. Usually. A certain encounter with a certain door had proved that much. But now...things were different. Ian seemed a good kid, one that Maynard was sure to be good friends with.

He clasped his hands in excitement when Ian offered to lend him a book or two on philosophy. This was going so great! "Oh, I'm interested in anything, really. Sometimes I think I cling far too much to fantasy and stuff, so anything that you think'd be good I'll be all over."

There. Vagueness. Vagueness always helped. Well, not really. Sometimes. Occasionally.

He nodded as Ian briefly commented upon Christianity. That should be interesting. Most of my friends are Atheists, I think. It'd be good to have some variety in there. Besides, Ian was a nice guy, and didn't seem the sort to rant on about his beliefs. Maynard couldn't stand those people, no matter what side of the argument they were on. Not that I can complain that much. Twelve. Vegetarian. Remember, Maynard?

Still, even if Ian did somehow degenerate into someone like that, Maynard knew that all you needed to do was smile and nod. Dont even know why I'm thinking about that. He won't be. He's sweet and nice and just 'cause someone's nice to me doesn't mean that they're really mean inside.

Just as he meant to reply to Ian's next question, the shrill clanging of the school bell filled the cafeteria. Those eating began to either file out or mill around, hoping for a few spare minutes of freedom before being forced back to class. Maynard waved a farewell to Ian before placing his belongings back into his bag and following suit.

Return to “Memories (The Past)”