The Final Project

Lucas Abernathy's Senior Movie Project 1 - Cast & Crew Only

Chattanooga plays host to numerous festivals throughout the year, from Pride marches to film festivals to sporting events; this is the place for those and other specific events, public or personal. Other threads that take place within the city limits but not in any other specified location also belong here. Please use this board only for threads that really don't fit anywhere else, however; threads that take place in one of the delineated areas, even if they represent events, should be placed in the area board for better organization. Threads that take place outside the city of Chattanooga should also be placed in the appropriate board.
TheLordOfAwesome

The Final Project

Post by TheLordOfAwesome »

((Lucas Abernathy continued from The Plan Unfolds...))

Standing outside the entrance to McKay's Chattanooga, Lucas looked at his phone to check the time as he laid his camera at his feet. Today was the first day of shooting Witch Death Cult and had sent the alert out to everyone who was needed for today's filming. He wanted to shoot the scene that establishes the main characters first, using McKay's as the setting for the scene. Plus it was a location more convenient for everyone to reach rather than the woods where the majority of the movie will be shot, so it was practical to start here.

McKay's also held something of a special place in Lucas's heart as the used book, movie, and CD store was where he got good portions of his own movie collection from. he once got a DVD copy of The Valley of Gwangi here, which he did a review of for his yearly Season of Fear review VLOG series last October. Maybe once filming was finished he would probably browse the movie section to find new additions to his collection. Lord knows he could get more movies for this year's theme for Season of Fear since he had a few slots that needed to be filled.

It was tempting to just go inside right now, but his volunteers could be here any moment. It would be rude for him to invite them and then decide he would wait inside, shuffling through used movies than wait for them out here. Or at least he felt it would be rude, especially if a lovely lady were to show up first. And talking to a girl would be an even better way to pass the time.

But talking up girls and searching for new movies aside, he had more important things to be concerned about. Like, where everyone was! It was almost the meet time and he was the only one to show up so far. He was tempted to send out messages again, but he didn't want to seem like an overbearing premadonna director who has to micromanage everyone. In his experience, no one wants to deal with a complete control freak ever.

Looking through his phone he opened up his notes for his projects, shifting through them and looking them over. At the very least he could brainstorm ideas to pass the time as he waited for everyone else.
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

(Ned Jackson continued from And Now Our Feature Presentation)

Ned was walking around town on one of his casual strolls. He was going to check out the local GameStop before noticing Lucas Abernathy in front of McKay's. Lucas was a friendly sort. He was passionate about his hobby in film, much like how Ned was with voice acting and animation. Because of that, Ned felt he had a kinship with Lucas.

Ned was curious as to what Lucas was doing in front of a bookstore. Wouldn't someone more bookish like that one Hayashibara sister be hanging out here? Wait, wasn't Lucas working on a new film? Maybe that was part of the reason he wanted to stop by the bookstore. Maybe to search for a book on witches? His curiousity heightened, Ned walked over the young Spielberg.

"Hey, Hey, Hey!," Ned shouted in his best Fat Albert impression, "What's going on, Lucas?"
[+] V7
Mains
Image B018: Ned Jackson- That’s All Folks
Image G039: Yuki Hayashibara- Family is Forever
Image B034: Zachary Beck- Guess I’ll Die
TheLordOfAwesome

Lucas's attention was suddenly drawn by the unmistakable sound of a Fat Albert impression. Looking in the direction of the impression, he saw his friend, fellow classmate, and drama club member, Ned Jackson, approaching him. Good guy that Ned. Ned was a pretty great guy all things considered and a very willing participant in his film projects. But... He was pretty sure he didn't send out a notification out to Ned that he was needed today. Maybe someone else told him? Or perhaps it was a coincidence that he was also here? Oh well! He isn't about to turn the guy away since he could probably use an extra or two.

"Howdy, Ned!" Lucas greeted his approaching friend. "Today's the first day of shooting Witch Death Cult. Glad to see you made it! I was beginning to think I forgot to send out the alert out to everyone I needed today!"

In truth he had actually done that, just not Ned. Or at least that's what he thought. He was honestly starting to doubt himself. He didn't think himself the type to forget something like that but that's the thing about memory, sometimes you think you remembered to do something but then later it turns out you didn't. Regardless, he was going to play it off like this regardless since he didn't want Ned to think he wasn't invited to the first day of shooting.

"Gonna shoot some character introduction scenes today. Ya know, establish some of the key characters and all that."
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Oh, that's today? I hadn't realized!," Ned said in surprise, "I was just taking a walk when I ran into you."

Lucas was filming a horror film for his new project. Ned had signed on as an extra, nothing special. Maybe that was why Ned hadn't really paid any mind to the project. Then again, Ned didn't get a message saying he was needed. Regardless, if Lucas needed an extra hand, Ned was happy to help. He had nothing better to do.

"Well, that's cool," Ned said, "Is there anything I can help you with?"
[+] V7
Mains
TheLordOfAwesome

"Well..." Lucas paused to think for a moment. "Not much, just some stuff an extra would do."

In truth there wasn't a whole lot of work Lucas could have Ned to do. As far as extras were concerned, they'd more or less be background elements. Since the scene was to establish the key characters, they would get the most focus out of everyone present. That just left the extra to wander about in the background to fill out the scenes and make the store seem more active within the shots. Seemed like Ned didn't have anything going on if he was offering to help out today, so Lucas didn't necessarily feel bad about making him do something as tedious as being a background extra.

"Other than that I don't have much else that needs help with." He shrugged. "You could help out a little on the crew side of things but I already sent the word out to a few of them, so unless they are late or don't show up then you are more than welcome to help with that stuff."

Speaking of which, he still hadn't seen hide or hair of anyone he had invited yet. He was starting to get impatient, but he reeled himself back from expressing it. He was just excited to begin work on his latest project and he knew that everyone has their own plans and schedules. Those slowed things down but they were unavoidable.
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Sure thing", Ned said.

As an extra, Ned would just have to casually stand in the background and not interfere with the main characters. Considering the location, he could do something mundane like read a book or look through the shelves as if he's looking for something specific.

Some time passed, with Ned checking out some manga while he waited for the others to arrive. He spotted a volume of Umineko: When The Cry, a mystery series about witches. The cover had the beautiful witch Beatrice and one of her counterparts surrounded by golden butterflies. Ned held the manga volume to mouth.

"Question," Ned said as he turned to Lucas, "Will the witches look as good as the ones in this twisted series?"
[+] V7
Mains
TheLordOfAwesome

As time passed, Lucas periodically looked to his phone to check the time. He sneered in annoyance. Pretty much everybody was late and the only person to bother showing up was Ned, who he had not invited. Lucas let out a long, frustrated sigh. Clearly some people are more flighty to this project than he had expected. Sure, he figured some folks wouldn't rush to the first day of production and might be busy, but the least they could do is let him know ahead of time! All he wanted to do was make a movie with friends, was that too much to ask?

Grimacing, he resolved to wait a little longer. Everyone who agreed to be in this production are doing it for free and it would be unreasonable to expect them to get here on time, especially if it is something unavoidable holding them up.

He looked over to Ned who was looking at some manga after his faithful extra asked him a question regarding the looks of the witches of his movie. Lucas' eyes scanned the cover of the manga and raised an eyebrow.

"I mean, I guess so?" He shrugged. "Some of the girls who signed up for the roles are pretty easy on the eyes, but I'm gonna try and aim for scary than attractive, dude."

The character on the book's cover was pretty cute, but he knew next to nothing regarding them. These Japanese comics and cartoons weren't exactly his specialty, barring maybe the Studio Gibli movies. Even then, his knowledge on the subject only went so far. Japanese cinema as a whole though he could confidently talk about.

And given how late everyone is, he could probably have done so earlier and be wrapped up or close to it by the time they actually arrived...
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Neat," Ned said.

He put the volume back on the shelf and continued browsing. Time passed, and Ned continued to look around awkwardly through the numerous volumes of manga. It was pretty quiet in the store, aside the ocassional flipping of book pages.

"So," Ned spoke up, "Have you considered going on the class trip?"
[+] V7
Mains
TheLordOfAwesome

"Oh definitely." Lucas said. "I heard we're going to DC, yeah? Get to check out museums and shit, stay in a hotel and all that. It is basically a vacation, my dude."

He hadn't thought much about the school trip to be honest. He was going to it but beyond that he didn't really concern himself with thinking about it. Still probably going to be fun and he'll get to experience it will his girlfriend if she decides to go — which he really hopes she does. Why wouldn't anyone go? Barring of course logistic issues for some people, there really was no excuse to not come.

Same can't be said for those who were suppose to be here today...

"What about you?" He asked. "You going gonna go too?"
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Oh yeah," Ned responded, "Definitely wanna take a look around that mall. And stay in a nice hotel."

It wasn't often Ned got to go out of state. Other than the occasional visit to his relatives in Nashville, or vacations in the summer, he hardly ever traveled.

"I just hope my parents won't be too worried," Ned continued, "I mean, you get a bunch of teens together in a hotel, what do you think will happen?"
[+] V7
Mains
TheLordOfAwesome

"I'm sure they'll be fine," Lucas shrugged. "It is just a school trip. What could happen?"

Lucas looked to his phone again, and it was now getting close to an hour after the initial meet time. Well this had been a real let down. First day of production and pretty much everyone but him was a no show. Off to a great start with this whole movie project of his. He'd have to adjust the time table of production to compensate for this lack of participation on the part of his cast and crew. He wasn't worried about meeting his deadline, but this was still a headache.

Sighing he put away his phone and looked at Ned.

"Hey man, sorry to do this to ya but I think I'm going to call it here." He said, sounding defeated. "Literally everyone is late so I don't think that is going to change anytime soon. Gonna send a message in a bit saying that today's shoot is canceled and... just head home."

He reached into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet. He fished inside it and pulled out a twenty dollar bill and offered it to Ned.

"Here, take this as thanks for wanting to help and all that..."
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

“Oh, alright,” Ned said, “Sorry production has started so slowly.”

Lucas took out a twenty dollar bill and offered it to Ned.

“Oh, you don’t need to pay me anything,” Ned responded, shrugging, “I’m just an extra after all.”

Ned looked at his phone.

“Think I’ll get home myself,” he said as he put the phone in his pocket, “See you later.”

(Ned Jackson continued elsewhere...)
[+] V7
Mains
TheLordOfAwesome

"Yeah, see ya man." Lucas sighed, pocketing the money he had pulled out.

Lucas picked up his camera and made his way out of the building, crossing through the parking lot to his car.

This day... could have gone better. So much for his grand first day of shooting. Everyone was a no show and he had nothing to show for this day. It was... hurtful in a way. While he expected some of the people he didn't really know to well to be flakes, sure, but the ones who he considered close friends? The ones he thought he could count on to be here? The fact they didn't show up made Lucas felt melancholic.

Feeling defeated, he put his camera way and got into the driver seat of his car. This day sucked... But hopefully he'll get to finish his project.

He started the car up and began his drive home.

((Lucas Abernathy continued in The Safe Word's Jason Takes Manhattan...))

Return to “Events/Other”