You hit like a girl

If you want to hit a few balls or you’re looking to hone that competitive edge, then a trip to the Castle batting cage is in order. The large, oval, chain-link compound is made up of nine stalls, each with a painted batter’s box, coin mechanism, and heavy canvas backstop that marks the strike zone. Signs note the pitching speed of each stall and reminding patrons to wear helmets are prominently featured.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

Kathryn glared at Iselle, she didn't have to be so quick to agree with her. Although Kathryn had to admit that she'd given her a good set-up. She was surprised to see Susan and Katy approach the batting cages. "Look who decided to join the party," she mumbled mostly to herself.

"I think that definitely makes you next," she said answering Katy's question to Iselle. "You apparently need the most practice. Iselle and I have already had a turn. After that I guess it's kind of up for grabs."

She nodded to Susan as she stepped up out of the batting cage to let someone else enter she continued on their Supernatural conversation. Alda'd pretty much summed up her opinion on Andi's boyfriend. To be honest she was kind of sick of that whole conversation. Ever since Andi'd gotten pregnant that was all the girl wanted to talk about. And Kathryn would much rather spend her time talking about softball or Supernatural.

"I'd say all the guys on the show are hot, the casting director deserves an award of some kind. That was such a pointless plotline, it was just lazy writing. Why do they even bother to have a plot if they're just going to retcon it out?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Arscapi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

Iselle nodded her head in greeting to Katy and Susan. Since it had just been her and Kathryn for so long, she had been having serious doubts that any of the rest of them would show up. "Better late than never, I guess," she muttered as she dug around in her gear bag so more. She took a long drink from her water bottle, using it as an excuse not to talk to the others until she got her mouth reined in.

"Hey, yeah. Somebody should hop in the cage." Iselle popped up from her crouch. "Or, you know, any one of the other empty cages." She gestured at the empty adjacent batting cages. "Thanks to a miracle of technology, many of us can practice at once. At varying speeds, even. Neat, huh?"

Somehow today, the team had turned into a serious brain trust. It was a bad idea to take this sort of tone with the others, but oh fucking well. Someone needed to run this practice.

Taking a deep breath, she projected her voice to be sure that everyone heard her. "Our current cage is the fastest machine, so whoever's comfortable with that speed takes that one. Next two down are a step down by 10 miles per hour, so if we all shift down a cage, we can run three at once AND keep the group together."

Iselle jerked her chin in Kathryn's direction with a nod. "Or we can stay here and Kath and I will practice outside the cage while you guys get some stick practice in. Your call."

She planted her hands on her hips, her shoulders square, and her knees slightly bent. The attitude was sure to come rolling in. With this many strong-willed girls in one spot, it was practically guaranteed.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Everyone else was around, still talking TV and trying to figure out the practice order and bemoaning Andi's situation with her boyfriend. That would probably go over like a ton of bricks. Susan wondered, every so often, if maybe the others didn't have much in the way of personal filters. She knew how being in relationships went, and unless stuff had gone really sour there was no good reason to trash on someone's S.O. Yeah, there was a slim chance they'd have enough of a sense of humor for it to be okay in the moment, but in the long run? Next week, when the couple had made up and was kissing all over the place? Well, then things would get shared and bridges would be burned and there would be bitter recriminations all around. Those same harmless jokes would linger, an awkward elephant in the room or a source of recurrent arguments. Susan didn't need anything of that sort in her life.

Boys, quite frankly, weren't worth losing friends over.

Good thing they were moving on. Of course, today just seemed like a prickly day, one of those special times when everyone was on edge and one wrong move would set everything off. Kathryn and Iselle were really set on getting practice in, and, more, on getting everyone else practiced. The others were looking to them to take lead; no surprise, given how seriously the two took the game. Susan admired their dedication and skill herself. Thing was, everyone else was being really passive about it. That was almost never a good sign.

So, okay, there was something like a plan. They could now spend the next ten minutes arguing and figuring stuff out and fine-tuning what they had, or they could get rolling. Susan was in the mood for the latter. It felt like everyone'd be better conversation after some good exercise, with all that pent up aggression and argumentativeness buried under fatigue.

"Machines sound good," she said to Iselle. "I'm even willing to, like, take one for the team today and subject myself to the slow one first."

Actually, Susan didn't really feel particularly inspired at the moment, and a bit of easier work seemed just about right, at least for a warm up. They'd probably rotate later, and if she knew Iselle the girl would make sure there'd be no free ride for Susan this practice. That was fine. Practice was important, and part of practicing was pushing herself.

Didn't mean she wouldn't try to get in some quality time with the slower machines.
Outfoxd

Post by Outfoxd »

The batting arrangements were laid out, and Susan was offering to take the slow cage, which was fine by Katy. Unless they had made a pitching machine that could throw changes, the slow one wasn't going to do her much good.

Katy grunted, nodding her approval at the turn of events. She grabbed a helmet and a a bat off of the rack. She tucked the bat under her armpit for a second as she popped her knuckles, then shook them out; a habit she picked up doing Judo that, for better or for worse, translated over to softball.

Speaking of...

As she threw open the gate to the cage, she looked back over her shoulder at the other girls.

"So when are you guys gonna come out to my daddy's gym and try a class? First month is free, you know." They did know. She told them. Daddy was always looking for new members, especially tough girls to represent them in the female division. And these girls weren't strangers to rough contact.

She tucked the batting helmet on her head and closed the gate behind her as she waited for an answer.
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Andi couldn't fight the irritation from spreading across her face, the otherwise handsome features marred by her complete inability to conceal her emotions. She had tried to mask it growing up, downplay whatever sourness she was feeling at the insistence of her mother—"A lady always keeps her composure, Andrea," she'd said—but as she got older, she couldn't see the point of keeping her feelings to herself. If someone pissed her off, why not tell them so they can just move along and save her some sanity? Composure be damned, really.

"Uh, okay, A.) How about you not beat against the cage like some wild animal and focus on actually, oh I dunno, hitting the ball for once," Andi said, her hands instinctively retracting to her hips as she eyed Kathryn. She couldn't say she was a fan, to be honest. Kat was one of those types who are only good in small doses—like Nyquil. And, funnily enough, both made her want to sleep.

"And B.)," She started, turning her attention over to Alda, whom had just met up with them but still felt the need to poke her nose into the conversation, "Don't call my boyfriend a dick, 'kay? Especially when I know you know next to nothing about him, starting with his ethnicity. He's Norwegian, for the record, not Swedish. Good try though."

Folding her arms, Andi made no attempt to hide her sudden disdain for the situation and it's players. Normally, she was pretty cool with Alda, whom could be irritating at times, but was overall pretty alright. But for someone to throw jabs at her boyfriend—ex, really, but who was keeping track?—was completely not kosher.

In a way, the topic change over to Supernatural was a welcomed distraction. She'd gone over a couple times to watch it at Iselle's, typically using it as an excuse to get a breather from Fiona and her parents. Was she a fan? Not really. It wasn't her genre, so to speak, which was more or less limited to Reality TV and, unfortunately, PBS or HUB when she had Fiona. In all honesty, the tantalizing fantasy that there might be some dyke drama between Iselle's moms was worth having to suffer through an hour of baby-sucking men.

On the other hand, the topic change was offensive in every possible way. Not to mention pathetic. As much as she liked the team (usually), the fact that they'd rather hump the TV rather than go out and get real men, or even focus more on a TV show rather than help with her real life problems was ridiculous. There were days when she had to stop herself from smacking some sense into them.

Taking in a deep breath, Andi closed her eyes and attempted to calm herself. She didn't feel bad about standing her ground, per se, considering they did start it, but there was no way she could be efficient with such a foul attitude. A couple a catty comments weren't enough to shake her and ruin what was more or less her only outlet. She could shelve the comments for the time being. At least until practice was over.
Offering a luke-warm smile as Katy and Susan joined the group, choosing to ignore Alda's comments lest she be arrested for man-slaughter. Once again planting her hands on her hips, albeit in a less hostile manner this time, Andi listened as the girls discussed who'd hit, grimacing ever so slightly as the Alda brought up her bad batting and the possibility of the girls skipping her.

"The point is for the weaker," A quick glance towards Kathryn, "of the batters to shape up. Unless, y'know, we want another repeat of last month? So how's'about we put on our big girl undies and, I dunno, get to the point where we're not striking out?" She finished, offering a smile in an attempt to cut the venom that had unwittingly laced her statement.

Andi watched as Katy moved into the cage, choosing to let it slide that it was, in fact, Andi's turn. But whatever. Katy needed the practice more anyway. Instead, Andi quickly checked her purse, hoping she'd gotten a text or anything that pointed to signs of life. Coming up unfortunately empty, she played off her dejection and pulled her batting helmet out of her softball bag.

Hitting something always made her feel better, at least.
Casey the Undead†

Post by Casey the Undead† »

Alda raised an eyebrow. Slowly.

Oh, no, fuck that.

A small part of Alda's brain warned her that starting shit with Andi was probably not the best idea. That, of course, was the part of Alda's brain she readily ignored because it was way more fun to start shit with Andi. Besides, she wasn't gonna let Andi talk that way to Kathryn- after all, Kathryn wasn't Ms. Queen Teen Pregnant, and was, you know, a pitcher. Pitchers weren't generally good batters. Rule of thumb, there, though it was always fun to ignore those in favor of whining about nothing.

"Uh, okay. A) Why bring Kathryn into this? Girl didn't do nothing. And she's trying, give her a break. Also, last month? Look, no one meant to break the batting machine, but it was only January, so I don't think anyone here really cared. Wasn't like we were in a game. Or, you know, even in season. So chill.

Alda raised her voice to match Andi's tone. "And B)-You walked in here bitching about your fucking boyfriend. I'm sorry, what do you want me to do? Tell you he's a sweetheart? You obviously must have complained for a reason, and my guess is that he is, in fact, acting like a dick. So yeah, considering all I know about him is the absolutely delightful things you tell me, I'm going to formulate the hypothesis that he might be just a bit of a dick." Alda folded her arms and shook her head. "Also, Norwegian, Swedish, whatever. It's all Scandinavia. No one else in the world knows the difference, why should I bother?"

Alda sighed, shaking her head. "Look, whatever, let's drop this shit, yeah? We'll settle on saying that no one cares about your boyfriend, no one cares about what I think about your boyfriend, and we're both bitches. Deal? Awesome."

She turned back to Iselle, cracking a shoulder. "I'll head down to one of the slower cages." She turned to Susan, grinning. "Whaddya say Sue, wanna challenge me? First to ten hits wins bragging rights?" She started to head down, swinging her bat as she went before a thought occurred to her.

She turned back, shooting her grin at Andi. "So, Andi, you gonna get your big girl panties on and move to a cage, or you just gonna stand there all day?" She laughed at her own joke, sliding into her cage and setting up her machine.

Alda really loved softball some days.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Casey the Undead. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

Kathryn was pleased that they'd finally gotten this practice off the ground. She stepped completely out of the cage and was surprised at the look on Andi's face. Her eyes widened as the girl just now decided to acknowledge her comment. What was that nonsense about hitting the cage? She shook her head as Andi focused her attention on Alda. Next time, Kathryn would just let her fingers get broken. Then maybe Andi would really have something to complain about.

Kathryn smiled as Alda jumped to her defense and the grin widened when she remembered the incident in the batting cage last month. It'd actually been a great shot. It would have been a perfect come backer right at the opposing pitcher. As it was it'd lodged in the machine and the gears had jammed. Weird that Andi had brought that up, as an example of why Kathryn needed more practice.

Alda was challenging Susan to a hitting contest when her attention refocused on the conversation.

"Seriously," she said up taking over where Alda had left off. "Before you start insulting half the team maybe you take a look at yourself, because it wasn't us that left the team with a hole in the starting line up last season. At least I own up to my mistakes and slumps. Which in case you had forgotten, I'm allowed to have. I'm the pitcher and if you're counting on me to get on base you've got another thing coming. I have more important things to do, you know like preventing the other team from hitting. I don't have the luxury of relaxing in the outfield until a ball happens to come my way. I'm involved in every play. Runs are your department, so maybe you should spend a little less time bitching about your boyfriend and a little more time in the batting cages."

Her piece said Kathryn turned to Iselle saying, "What do you say we get some practice in?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Arscapi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

Iselle raised a single eyebrow as Andi unloaded on Kathryn. *Someone* had some misdirected anger, was seriously PMSing, or the most likely culprit, a combination of the two. Before she could open her mouth to say anything, Alda had the situation well in hand. As soon as Alda finished, Kathryn chimed in.

That was the thing about the softball team. It was generally understood that tempers would flare and words and accusations would be exchanged. When a group of focused, driven, competitive girls got together, there was bound to be some friction. The key was to not take it too personally and get things rolling in a productive way. Susan and Katy were probably the smartest two present since they had ignored the whole scene and were starting their batting practice. It would probably be wisest to take a page from them. Alda and Kathryn were trying to put the situation in the past. Hopefully Andi would let it go too.

"Yeah, sure, let me grab my mitt and I'll catch for you." She gestured at her locker bag which was in complete disarray now. Iselle raised her voice to be heard over the sound of the pitching machines as she called out to Katy. "And as for lessons at your dad's gym, it sounds like a good idea, but I'm afraid to give you even more of an excuse to kick my ass. Admit it, Katy, you just want the sanctioned opportunity to beat the snot out of us."

Moving a side a few things, Iselle located her catcher's mitt. She worked her hand inside, wiggling her fingers into the most secure pockets of the glove. "My brother was making interested noises about taking some classes. In all seriousness, though, my moms aren't real thrilled with the idea of me taking up any martial arts."

Given the mood she was in, Kathryn was probably going to be throwing at full speed. Iselle pounded her free hand on the top of the mitt to get those few extra centimeters of padding as strategically placed as possible. A sprained finger or bruised palm would definitely suck. "They know me catching for Kathryn is dangerous enough."

Iselle couldn't resist taking one more friendly shot at Kathryn as she tossed the other girl a softball. "I'm ready when you are, princess."
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Susan didn't say anything to Katy's offer as far as coming in to try a free month at her dad's gym went. Susan liked Katy, liked her a lot, but the girl could be flat out intense at times. More than that, Susan liked sports like softball, but the idea of wrestling with people and maybe getting hurt in the process didn't really do it for her. Katy had made her offer known regularly enough that Susan felt totally comfortable just continuing what she was doing. A relationship close enough to sustain despite sales pitches was a relationship close enough to sustain despite the lack of interest in said pitches. Katy wouldn't take Susan's lack of interest personally.

Of course, there was other trouble brewing, like always. Andi took umbrage at the way the other girls talked about her boyfriend, which was absolutely no surprise to Susan whatsoever. Andi turned things around, words were said, tensions escalated. Susan got her helmet on and stretched a bit while it was all going down. She didn't really want to get too far away from the other girls. On the unlikely off-chance everything went completely to hell, she wanted to be in a good position to chase after Andi and calm her down. The girl sure didn't need more stress in her life, and Susan was willing to put up with a bit of grouchiness for a good friend.

Luckily, Andi proved more than willing to push things over into the territory of making fun of each other's softball skills. That was safe ground, nothing but good-natured ribbing. It was something that could unite them all once more. Alda needed to get in a few more words, but she also tried to bring the subject back around to the practice they were all here to get. She also gave Susan a nice little opening, challenging her to a contest.

"You're on," Susan said with a smile. "Only ten, though? You have a cold or something? Afraid you can't last to twenty?"

It was talking trash, pure and simple. Susan was pretty sure she could give Alda a run for her money in the cages, but endurance wouldn't give either girl a leg up. What a longer contest would do was let Alda and Andi blow off their steam for a while longer without going for each other's throats. Kathryn and Iselle were working on catching practice, too. It looked like the danger was basically past. Susan just had to make a bit of an effort to help seal the deal.

"You want in too, Andi?" she called. She took a moment to assess how she was feeling, then added, "Either of you beats me to twenty, I'll buy you a Coke after practice. I think I'm gonna be on fire today."

It was at least half true. Susan was feeling good. She was happy and energized. She didn't care about beating Alda and Andi. She didn't care about the fact that she'd probably end up ponying up three bucks for sodas. She did want to give both girls good reasons to stick around, and maybe get some time to just hang after business was done, maybe let Andi relax a bit more and let everyone forget that they'd been bickering about, of all things, boys and television.
Outfoxd

Post by Outfoxd »

The softball girls erupted into a mild burst of conflict before settling back down, Andi having been miffed by comments about her boyfriend and other things. Alda had saw fit to give her a little ribbing right back (Alda was always good for a bitchfest), and the girls had settled back into batting soon after. Katy was reminded again why she felt like she fit in with these girls; a propensity for competition and short spats of anger. Which meant she didn't stick out.

She didn't have to hold onto her self-control anyway; she wasn't the target of Andi's rant. At least, she didn't think she was. She hadn't made any comment to her, only about batting. She started putting her money where her mouth was and pulled on her batting gloves, grabbed a bat and walked into her cage, one with a middling pitching speed. She needed to loosen up. Still felt stiff from class the day before.

"I'll call in on the twenty if you want a third in." She said, the bat temporarily slung over her shoulder.
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

It was astounding that Andi's cheek had remained fully in tact throughout the years, considering her not-so-secret habit of gnawing the tender flesh when roused. Today was no exception, her cheek quickly finding its way between her teeth as Alda made it a point to get one last barb in before suggesting they dropped the subject. Benevolent as always, Alda, toss around a couple poisonous remarks before reiterating something Andi had said not even a minute prior.

Still, Andi couldn't say she wasn't used to it. Typical within the team, really. After a while you just sort've learn to ignore it, for the most part. It was almost nice in a way, honestly, because no matter what you said, people didn't really hold it against you and you don't have to accept the responsibility.

And the less responsibility; the better.

Still with her back turned to the girls, Andi could only spare the most miniscule of her attention as Susan challenged her and Alda. On a normal day, Andi would be itching to prove her superiority, but the tantalizing vibrating of the iPhone that she hadn't managed to put away stole her attention. Immediately her heart erupted in a storm of excitement.

It didn't even matter that the sole word from Sven had been 'diner'. All that mattered is that he'd responded, which had to mean something. It had to, for both her and Fiona's sake.

Quickly packing her helmet back up again, Andi turned back towards Susan and, complete with large smile, responded; "I'm gonna have to take a raincheck, babe. Fiona's acting up apparently." She didn't dare mention Sven's name, not when she was ditching practice to go meet up with him; especially after that prior fiasco.

Without so much as a good, Andi hauled her duffel over her shoulder and made her way out of the batting cages; into what she hoped was a new future for her little family.
** Andi Victorino, continued in...After the Battle
Casey the Undead†

Post by Casey the Undead† »

Alda smiled at Susan's challenge. "Raising the stakes, eh? Alrighty, Sue, bring it on. And be prepared to eat my dust. I want that damn coke."

She approached the batting cage, flexing her fingers as she did so. Right. Batting. It wasn't her best area, yeah, but she supposed she could do well enough. She wasn't the worst after all. She was about to start up when she noticed the absence of Andi. Alda turned just in time to see the girl vanish. She tried not to grit her teeth.

"Jesus, what is up with that girl?" Alda said, gesturing wildly in the space where Andi used to be. "I swear to God, she only ever comes to practice to complain and then huff off. I mean, she's part of the team, I get that, but I'm gonna send a ball straight into her teeth one of these days. Knock some sense into her."

She sighed, turning back to the cage at hand. "Whatever, nevermind, ancient history. You ready for this Susan?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Casey the Undead. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

Kathryn rolled her eyes at Andi's antics. She couldn't believe that she'd tried to start shit and then when she'd been called on it had walked away.

"That's right," she said softly. "Miss another practice. Let us carry you a little more." She grabbed the balls she had in her gear bag and stalked to the clear area at the end of the cages.

"Seriously when can we kick her off the team already," she asked Iselle. "She's been nothing but a liability since last season and honestly we didn't do to bad last season without her."

She stopped walking and began to run through some stretches to loosen up her arm. She ran through the drills which her coach had made her practice thousands of time.

"Ready," she called moving into her stance.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

'Aaaand there she goes.' Iselle snorted and shook her head. It's not like Andi talking off was any great loss. She was in the outfield for a reason, after all.

Kathryn's question made her stop as she turned the issue over and over in her head. "You know, I don't think we have the authority to boot her. Technically, Coach Saunders picked the team during tryouts. So I guess we would have to go to her and plead our case. Which might be more effort than it's worth."

She shrugged as she watched the batting competition that was getting under way. They seemed to be doing well. Forms looked pretty good. "The way she's self-destructing, I don't think we have to help Andi over the edge. She's running towards it full speed."

Enough talking about Andi and her non-contributions to the team. Everyone had a job to be doing. Pounding her left fist into the pocket of her mitt, she turned her attention back to Kath. Dropping into a comfortable crouch, she called out to the pitcher. "Then let's do it to it, Lars!"

((Are we about ready for a timeskip so we can all get back into general pregame?))
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Operation Keep Andi Around was a bust, but Susan didn't mind so much, because the girl had left after receiving a call, not in response to the prodding of the rest of the team. Apparently, her baby was causing trouble. Susan gave a little wave as Andi headed off, then turned her attention back to the rest of the team. Katy had decided she wanted in on the contest. Susan smiled. Alright, with watching out for Andi's feelings out of the way, she could focus on fun.

Winning? That was decent fun. So was losing, if it was with the right company. The results weren't that important, though.

Making her friends work for their wins, listening to whatever trash they talked, seeing how they reacted? That was the real fun, and Susan decided that she wasn't going to go easy on them. Besides, if she did, they'd just make her practice more. They'd be happier if she got them sweating.

"You're on, Katy," she said. "And, Alda, I was born ready. Let's go."

Kathryn and Iselle were practicing with each other, so Susan headed to the cages,taking deep breaths, getting herself in the zone.

As soon as she was inside and in position, she made herself focus completely on the bat in her hands, on the machine across from her. She was going to do well today. She could feel it.

Return to “Batting Cages”