Don't Panic

It used to be the island's housing district... at least, it used to be. It wasn't much to begin with, maybe ten or twelve houses lined up in a row where the soldiers' families lived. When a large storm hit the island years ago, all the houses were practically destroyed and the water stagnated on the flat ground, giving way to the festering marsh that sits here now.
Ciel†

Don't Panic

Post by Ciel† »

(continued from She Bop)

Madison Conner (Female Student no. 01) didn't know she could run as fast as she did. Her posture, the look of her just didn't give off the impression that she was an excellent runner. Running wasn't going to solve anything but for Madison it was an advantage that was very clear. In the shape she was in, well, she could join the Southridge track and field team and finally become accepted. That wasn't going to happen anytime soon, but it was nice to dream. It was always nice to dream about the things one could never, ever have.

Now? Now was not the time to be dreaming at all.

Madison had absolutely no clue how to react to what she was staring down at. A body, from the looks of it, but the place where the head was supposed to be... that couldn't possibly be a head. There was no way. Could it? The sight of a very slender girl, about Madison's age she figured, jerked up a violent reaction in her stomach that was once thought quelled. Despite the sick feeling, Madison was being surprisingly... calm? Yes, calm. She felt like she was going to vomit, but nothing else.

That certainly didn't make sense. Madison should be sickened by this sight! She should curse to the heavens, vowing revenge...

But inside, Madison felt no pity. In fact, she felt no pity for any of the others who had died before her. No, not even Monique. Her conscious told her that she should be angry that Monique died the way she did, but the rest of her told her differently. Monique had been stupid enough to make a simple mistake or hesitate too long, just like this tortured soul laying in front of her. Monique was foolish enough to trust Melina and it was her fault that she died. Just like this girl, who was foolish enough to mess with the wrong person and ended up like this.

The war between the real Madison and the fake "good" Madison was still brewing. The "good" Madison had shown it's colors and fought Melina The "good" Madison was the one who let Darnell off the hook. If the real Madison had in control those times, like it was now, things would be different.

Madison grimaced, setting the fire axe on the ground with a sigh and a yawn. "... Life is a bitch, I guess." she spoke, rubbing her left hand against her eye. "Still... can't imagine anyone actually wanting to do something like... this... seems like overkill."

She wasn't speaking to anyone in general. Madison had figured that Maxie had been left behind to fend off Melina, and while she would feel slightly guilty if she were to die... the fact of the mater was that Madison had told Maxie to leave as well. She had done all she could to coax her along, so it all really depended on whether Maxie wanted to run away as well. If in fact Maxie did die back there... then so be it.

Madison frowned, feeling slightly dissapointed in herself. "I shouldn't think that way. Maxie... she's probably the only ally I've got. She'll be alright." She turned her attention back to the body, her eyes fixated on it. "Who would ever feel the need to do such a thing? There's no reason someone should suffer like this... no matter how horrible they are. People die, that's a fact of life, but no one should die like this. No one."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Ciel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

(Sharon Kulikov continued from There's Only So Much...)

Sharon ran as fast as her legs could, and then some. Her lungs screamed for air and her leg muscle were on fire, yet she didn't stop. She was running from something that wasn't there. It had been following oh-so closely ever since she left the hospital, and try as she might, she just couldn't outrun it. The guilt she felt for leaving Warren alone wouldn't let up. She could have stopped him, but she didn't. She let him walk into what would most probably be his death.

With her wrench-knife clenched tightly in her fist, Sharon ignored the pain and ran. She didn't know where she was or where she was going, but that didn't stop her. Her face was flushed and though the rain was cold, it didn't help how hot she felt. The pain in her legs and lungs was getting worse; all she wanted to do was sit down.

Sharon's feet unknowingly led her to the marsh. She slowed to a walk as she entered the area, coughing and taking deep breaths as if she were a sixty year old woman. Her eyes shot wide open when she saw something in the sludgy water.

One of her classmates?

And not to far from the carcass was a girl and next to the girl was an axe. Sharon's eyes darted back to the body of her classmate. What was supposed to be her head couldn't be identified.

Sharon's whole body began to tremble. She was in the presence of a killer and couldn't handle it.

Coming into the game, Sharon had thought that she'd easily be able to handle the stress of it all and come out the winner, but boy was she ever wrong. The strength she thought she had had simply vanished from her body and was now no where to be found. Why was it gone when she needed it the most? Ever since she encountered Warren, she wasn't the same person as she was when this hell started.

Even if she did win, she'd still have to live with the guilt of killing her classmates when she got back home.

Sharon's now limp fist released the wrench-knife. She must have looked quite the sight. With her eyes wide as saucers, mouth hanging open.

She had completely forgotten about the girl who was just a mere seven feet away from here.
Namira

Post by Namira »

((Maxie continued from: She Bop))

Maxie had fallen behind in the process of her escape. That wasn't too surprising, Madison after all had picked up a big head start by... well, leaving earlier. She wasn't really sweating it though. It wasn't a particular nice thing to think, but the other girl could really just take care of herself if she was running off ahead all of the time. Sure, they had some sort of alliance – nominally, at least, but Madison disturbed Maxie enough as it was. It wouldn't distress her unduly to have the other just fade into the jungle...

The delinquent paused for a few moments, wincing as water seeped into her shoes further. This swamp could go fuck itself. Still, that wasn't what Maxie had stopped to think about. Rather, her erstwhile ally.

Madison...

Maxie really didn't know what to make of Madison. She had seen her around school, and did vaguely know her, but Southridge wasn't really a good point of reference, not on this island.
The weird thing about Madison, what was really putting Maxie off was... well, how she kept changing. One moment, she was charging in to the attack, willing to put everything on the line just to stop Maxie getting hurt. The next, she was skipping out on her. Maxie had, admittedly told her to run, but it was an abrupt change for sure...

She shook her head to dispel the thoughts, then kept walking. Pushing past some vegetation, Maxie spotted Madison, alongside another classmate. Maxie squinted a little, and a name struck her. Kulikov, Sharon Kulikov.

"Sup my chickadee?" Maxie called out. "I see ya been makin' friends,"

Chickadee? Where'd at come from girl? Ya ain't... oh god, ya are... fuck. Madi don't need watchin' out for Maxie...
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Madison's mind was too closely wrapped around a waging war that she didn't notice much else, but the sharp splash that rang from right behind her broke her concentration. Being the curious kind of girl she was (which has gotten her into many problems), she turned around to where the sound came from and immediately saw someone about several feet away from her. Madison squinted, trying to make out who it was.

"M-M... Maxie?"

No, that wasn't Maxie. It certainly didn't look like Maxie anyway. Who was that? Madison had seen the girl around school between classes, but hell if she remembered a name. Maybe her mind was just tired, she used to be very good with names and faces, but that was in the past. These past five god-damned days felt like five god-damned months.

"O-Oh..."

Madison was supposed to smile, but she didn't. Maybe the muscles in her lips were tired, maybe she was just so forlorn that smiling just didn't seem right, maybe she just didn't feel like smiling. For whatever reason, smiling was an impossible task for her. Then again, forcing a smile probably wasn't going to change that shocked expression to something that Madison could stomach.

Wait... why is she looking at me like that? It confused Madison. It was like the girl was staring at a ghost, and for all she knew up to this point Madison wasn't a ghost... was she? She wasn't dead, although for all intent and purposes her mind wasn't in the best of shapes. Though if she had really died, she probably would have at least noticed. Knowing whether you were dead or not was something you could determine pretty easily, though Madison could never recall the displeasure of knowing the difference between the two.

Then Madison just happened to look down at the body, if by complete chance. Then at the girl. Then back down towards the body. Then at the axe that was in her hand. And then... little gears started to move inside her head, and everything started to click together. W-Wait... does she actually think... no... No... I couldn't-I WOULDN'T...

She stared at Sharon with a glazed, emotionless glance, tired. She almost looked like she was staring off into space and that wasn't too far off. She didn't say anything, she really wanted to but she was just too tired of talking. This was also the point when Maxie entered, and right away her offbeat accent caught Madison's ears instantly. Her head turned to face the tough girl in the face, and her whole body seemed to warm up instantly. However, she still didn't smile in the sight of a familiar face.

Maxie... she certainly wasn't a friend, but she had proven to be trustworthy. Out of all the people that she was alongside with, Madison didn't know many of them. Fewer friends, or at least friends that were alive. Maxie was probably the only person she could actually trust, at least for the moment being, though her tough exterior was enough to keep Madison's guard up.

"Oh... Maxie." she said calmly, or as calm as she (or an excitable jackrabbit) could get. She was shaking pretty fiercely, for a girl who was trying her best to be calm. Then her face changed into a confused look. Madison wanted to laugh. She didn't. Her frown gave of remnants of a smile that was almost long forgotten, and her voice became louder. "Uhh... Did... Did you just call me chikadee?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Ciel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Sharon was forcefully thrust back into the real world when Maxie entered the scene. Pfft, friends her ass.

Maxie worried Sharon quite a bit, as she looked to be the type of girl that wasn't a newcomer to fighting. Her worries dwindled somewhat when she couldn't spot a weapon on the girl and she silently hoped that she had lost it somewhere or it was just plain useless.

Her interest was almost immediately placed back onto Madison. Doubts had swirled around in Sharon's head. Madison didn't look like a killer, but all the evidence was piling up. Madison looked pretty exhausted; maybe the girl put up a fight? Not to mention the fact that the girl's head was hardly there, Madison's axe may have been the answer to that.

...That poor girl had died a horrible death. Probably didn't deserve it either. Tears welled up in Sharon's eyes and she clenched her fists. She couldn't let Madison live with herself. Sharon stopped herself, however. Maxie was obviously Madison's friend and would most likely help out Madison.

"Better be carfefull of your 'chickadee'," Sharon warned Maxie, "She's pretty dangerous. See what she did?" Sharon grimaced, pointed in the direction of the body.

"Don't want that to be you, now do you?"

She was hoping Maxie would leave and thus giving Sharon a fair fight with Madison. She was ready to do whatever it was that she had to. Even if that meant attacking both of them.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Maxie grinned sheepishly, rubbing at the cut on her face absent-mindedly.

"That I did... ehehehe... y'oughta' blame my mom for that one. She was always callin' me it. Guess I sorta' ... picked up on it," Maxie, admittedly, still wasn't quite sure precisely why she had come out with that. It was something her mother said a lot, for sure, but since when had Maxie ever spoken like her mother? The only person she knew who sounded anything like her was that guy she had been in a group with - albeit briefly some time earlier... Keith Jackson.

Maxie didn't like the looks of what was going on. Her offhand comment had been, she knew, at least partially down to nervousness. Maxie wasn't really the type to look out for other people - she was far too independent for that. The way she figured it, either you took help when it was given, and offered it in reciprocation, or neither took it, or were under any obligation to give it. Oh sure, she'd help a friend out every now and then, but watching somebody's back... that was another thing entirely.

The only person Maxie had ever been watched over by was her older brother, Lucas. Albeit under good deal of protest. The fact of the matter was: Maxie hated the feeling of being protected. There wouldn't always be somebody around to look out for her, and when that time came, Maxie didn't want to be screwed over due to reliance on others. Nobody made it nowhere under anything less than their own steam.

Maxie's thoughts were interrupted when Sharon spoke up. She listened to what the other girl had to say, then shook her head, laughing derisively.

"I wasn't half a minute behind Madi, there ain't no way in hell she did that before I made it here. Ya as wrong as can be. 'Sides..." Maxie walked over to the body, inspecting it, pushing down a feeling of nausea. "No way is this... fresh, ta put it blunt. Been here for at least a coupla hours," Maxie turned to Sharon, now standing between Madi and Kulikov, shooting her a grin. "No dice girl, whodunnit ain't that chick,"
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Madison had no idea how to react to what was happening. She had just stumbled onto the body, just suddenly, by mistake. Now she was being blaimed for... she was being called a murderer. Madison didn't know what to feel. Sure, she was mad that someone was actually calling her a murderer, but at the same time she was actually scared that Maxie would actually agree with the girl. Her only ally, taken away by one stupid accusation. She couldn't have that, oh no.

"H-Hey," she spoke up, quite nervous, "I-I didn't do that. I just found it, I-I didn't kill..." she stopped herself, noticing how troublesome her talking was being. Just shut your trap Madison. You're just making things even worse. Instead, Madison turned her attention towards Maxie, giving her a very tiny almost invisible smile. "O-Oh. Haha. I guess... that..."

She fell quiet right away, because Maxie was not focused on her anymore. And when she spoke her mind about the accusation, Madison's face showed a sign of relief. "Uhh... y-yeah." she agreed with Maxie, feeling slightly awkward at the thought of being called 'that chick'. Still, she stood straight up with her axe tightly clenched in her hands and continued. "I... I wouldn't do anything like that. It was someone else, I'm sure."
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Sharon wasn't buying it.

Madison made Sharon feel extremely uneasy. Her stammering didn't do her story any justice, as it just made her look more and more guilty by the second. The drawing point was when Madison stood up, axe in hand. She was looking for a fight and Sharon was happy to oblige. Gripping her own fist, Sharon found nothing.

Damn.

Her knife-wrench was still in the bramble where she dropped it. This was not good at all. Stalling would be her only option. She took a deep-breathe and went for the Grammy.

"... Your probably r-right," Sharon lied, and rather badly at that.

Her heart was in her throat as she took small steps backwards, going for her weapon. She was starting to feel odd. It was as if a little voice in her head was trying to tell her to stop while she was ahead, but maybe it should have tried a little harder. Sharon's baby-steps were getting noticeably bigger as she made way for her weapon.

If she could only reach it, she may have a better chance.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Maxie could feel the tension in the air, and it was pretty obvious that Sharon didn't believe a word of what she was saying. That pissed her off. The girl was obviously letting the pressur of the game get to her - paranoia was kicking in. Now that she had her mind set that Madison had killed the poor victim currently half submerged in stagnant wtaer - whoever she had been, it appeared unlikely anything Maxie could say would change Sharon's mind.

Sharon going for her weapon wasn't missed by Maxie either. She knew what to look for when a fight seemed immminent, and the approach was blindingly obvious for anyone who had been in even a couple of scrapes. Maxie thought about reaching for her meat hook, still safely tucked in her belt, but decided against it - pulling out a weapon was hardly going to calm Sharon down.

"You're an awful liar Sharon..." Maxie muttered to herself, under her breath. Madi might have heard her, although she doubted it, but Sharon certainly wouldn't have.

"Look," Maxie began, trying to be reasonable one last time. "I can tell th' both of ya are gearin' up for somethin' stupid. Just calm down, don't let panic control what ya thinkin' ... Sharon, Madi ain't a bad one. Have ya heard her name once on the announcements?" Fact... speakin' of those..." Maxie looked up at the lightening sky. "Wait justa sec', and ya'll see there's nothin' t'worry about,"

Maxie hoped to hell Madi hadn't killed anybody. That would be embarassing to say the least.
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

"You're gonna be sorry one day, Maxie," Sharon spat.

Although she didn't hear Madison's name on the announcements, Sharon was still iffy about her. Something was just... off, she couldn't pin-point it.

"Just look at her! I don't even have a weapon, but look at how hard she's holding that axe. Suspicious? I think so," she stated, rather calmly at that.

Sharon was getting livid. Madison was most likely going to turn on Maxie in the end, yet Maxie was just eating out the palm of her hand. She had to prove herself right and show Maxie that Madison was deadly.

"What're you gonna do, Madison? Gonna kill me even though I don't have a weapon?" Sharon stepped a bit forward, hoping to God that she was even just a little bit intimidating, "Come on, Madison. Prove me right."
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

"Uhh..."

What was wrong with Sharon? Was she insane? Madison's name was nowhere on the announcements. The only thing that Madison was showing was fear, which was about the only thing she could feel right about then. Why was she so suspicious of her? The look that Sharon had on her face was one that... Madison couldn't describe it, but it was making her slightly afraid. Well, slightly afraid wasn't the first description one could conjure up. Her calm voice, speaking about how she was a killer... seriously, Madison was creped out.

Sharon stepped forward, and Madison walked two steps backward. She almost yelped. "H-Hey... Stay back, right now. I-I don't even know what you're talking about!"

Her. Now.

Hu...Huh?

She stepped back another step, clenching onto the axe even tighter. Was... am I... supposed to... She sighed softly in a vain attempt to calm herself, but nothing in the world could calm her down. Nothing. She looked over at Maxie with a pleading glance on her face. "Uhh... M-Maxie! Can I get some help?" Was she going to protect herself? Was she going to have to fight Sharon? Was she going to kill someone without a weapon? If Sharon got any closer to her, all of that stuff was going to happen. Madison turned back to Sharon, her voice striking her with a hint of annoyance. "I... I'm warning you. Stay back! I swear to god, if you come any closer, I'll... I'll..."
Namira

Post by Namira »

At that point, Maxie lost her temper.

"Listen t'me for fuck's SAKE!" she roared, glaring at Sharon then Madi, and back again. "She's fuckin' scared Sharon - and ya 'bein' paranoid!" Maxie rounded on Madison. "And y'know what Madi? It would be helpful if ya would deign t'actually support me here! I've been tryin' to back ya up, but you've been actin' damn shifty."

Maxie stepped back from the pair, shaking her head ruefully.

"The pair of ya can do whatever th' hell ya want - I can't be fucked ta put up with ya anymore."

She turned on her heel and marched away, determined not to heed any calls to return or anything else of the kind.

((continued in at Dawn))
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Maxie's words rang true in Sharon's ears. It was weird, but for some reason what she said made everything that happened at the marsh seem so... stupid. Never had she heard Madison's name on the announcements nor did she find the girl all that threatening. Just look at her! She was shaking in her boots.

Glancing at the corpse of the unknown girl for one last time brought on a shudder. There were probably more of her classmates out there that had died equally painful deaths or even more so. Perhaps... perhaps if she tried she could save other kids. A vigilante of sorts. Yeah! She liked the sound of that.

"I'm sorry, Madison," Sharon said softly, "I really kinda just jumped to conclusions. I guess it just happens when your in this place. The pressure just weighs you down and you crack."

Without waiting for a response, Sharon made her way to the thicket to retrieve her weapon and start the task at hand.
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Do it. Now. She isn't looking.

W-What?

Things were finally grinding to a halt. Madison's subconscious was taking over her whole mind, so much so that she didn't even notice Maxie leave the marsh altogether. Sharon... she never knew her. Hell, she didn't even know if her name WAS Sharon. What was going on? Why was her mind telling her to do this? Why? Her feet were moving behind Sharon, as though they were beyond her control. That voice. It had been telling her things buried deep inside of herself for the past few days, and even now it was... it was... it was now taking control.

This had been the case when she attacked Izzy. That's why she pulled the trigger on a gun that wasn't even hers. But this wasn't what Madison wanted. Or was it? What if it was what she wanted all along but she kept refusing? That's why... that's why... it all made sense. Madison didn't want to admit it but it all made sense to her. Maybe this was what she had been secretly wanting.

No.

Her grip on the axe tightened even more, as though she was afraid of dropping it.

She was no killer.

She was sneaking up behind Sharon, the axe raised.

She couldn't kill. It wasn't inside of her.

Her eyes were interlocked. She was looking at no one else but Sharon, ready to strike, ready to go in for the kill. Like a wild tiger, ready to strike it's prey. Like a killer who had done this dirty, dirty thing so many times before. Madison was born ready, and even then she was nervous. Oh so nervous. Back at home, she wouldn't have ever dreamed to do something like this before. How Keith Jackson looked at her when she shot Izzy, oh how she liked the look. It scared her, but deep down she had loved it. A hint of fear in his depths, a fear of Madison, a girl. A girl half his size. She could remember what Sharon had said about her. All the words about her. "She's pretty dangerous. See what she did?" "Just look at her! I don't even have a weapon, but look at how hard she's holding that axe. Suspicious? I think so." Everyone back home were probably thinking that Madison couldn't survive. "She could never play," they would say. That's exactly what they would think, that Madison wasn't nearly crazed enough to do such a horrible thing, but oh no. They didn't know Madison at all. Madison Conner herself didn't even know who Madison Conner truly was. She didn't know, but she was going to learn. Oh how she was going to learn.

I-I don't like killing. she told the voice very calmly.

"Oh, dear. How would you ever know that?" it retorted with a sneer.

She was going to learn. Right then, she was going to learn, just as she rose the axe up and swung it down, aimed for Sharon's head. Dead center. Was it going to miss? Madison hoped it wouldn't. She wanted to know what it was like, what death was really all about. What was going to happen when she died? Lord only knows, but Madison knew there was a special place for her in hell after she croaked.
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Sharon's now limp body lay on the sodden grass, the small axe still imbedded into her skull. Out of her wide, surprised eyes trickled two red streams.

Sharon wasn't even graced the satisfaction of knowing that she was entirely right about Madison Conner. That, however, might have been a good thing, because the pain that would have overtaken her was nonexistent. The hopes she had that she could help out victims of the island were crushed along with Madison's axe.

And then there was Warren. That boy who still held a very special place in her heart, the one she so desperately wanted to see again. That wouldn't happen now, would it? She had left him and now she'd never see him again.

In the end, despite it being Madison who finished her off, Lenny Priestly was one of the main causes for her demise. Lenny Priestly was the one who killed Anna Vaan at the marsh, therefore when she saw Madison and the carcass of Anna, she immediately suspected Madison. Lenny Priestly was the one who planted the seeds that caused Sharon to leave the hospital. Had she stayed, who knows how far she would have gotten in the game.

It's weird, isn't it? How just a few actions can create a domino effect that took someone's life? Well there was no fighting it now, because Sharon Kulikov was dead and there was no going back.

G42 – SHARON KULIKOV: DECEASED

Return to “The Marsh”