The Kids Aren't Alright

Once driven over by army vehicles while crossing the island, the tire marks and ruts are still there, but the trail is quite overgrown. It winds left and right, north and south, and traverses the entire island.
baby_g†

The Kids Aren't Alright

Post by baby_g† »

((Sciph gave permission for the godmod ^_^))

Courtney woke up to a throbbing pain in her head. She felt like someone had taken a huge rock and smacked her little french head with it. Turning over and over while still trying to lay down under the over grown bushes Courtney tried to figure out what was going on. Last thing she had ever expected when she moved to America that she'd be kidnapped and told she had to kill her friends. Lucky for her she didn't really have many of them here, she guessed that might have made it easier.

What about him though? What if he's....

Courtney's thoughts about her 'friend' Steve were interrupted by the very sight of him no more than ten feet away. He was laying awkwardly on his tummy so much so that he looked to be dead. With everything that had happened in the past 24 hours, she wouldn't be surprised if he was. Slowly crawling over to the boy and began to inspect him.

"You can't be dead! Are you serious? You... of all people... oh COME ON!"

Courtney had kissed Steve that day when they went to the beach when he was giving her a lift home. She thought she liked him so much, almost more than Nigel, though when she tried calling he never picked up and completely ignored her. It wasn't much better when she tried talking to him at school and he ignored her there too. Just when she was ready to move on, being asked to go to prom by Nigel, she was voted prom queen and Steve king. It would have been fine if she didn't feel like Serenity was breathing down her neck. The dance they shared was slow and awkward, leaving her wishing for something so much better.

"This isn't fair!"

Courtney began to smack Steve in the back, trying and hoping that that might wake him up, revive him so be it. Tears swelled up in the corners of her eyes as she did this, cursing in her native tongue.

I'm sorry if this is my fault, please wake up. You're the only one I could have trusted in this place, please please wake up.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler baby_g. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Ares

Post by Ares »

'Steve, Steve, your letter from MSU came today. They're offering you a full ride scholarship. Isn't that great? Hey, I said isn't that great?'

"Oi, dad, bug off I'm trying to sleep." Steve mumbled as he rolled over to avoid the shots to his back. As he rolled though, light pierced through his eyelids, causing him to get up.

"Dammit, its too early..." Steve's voice trailed off as he looked at his surroundings. He was about 15 feet away from a old overgrown and dusty trail, which itself was surrounded by lush forestation. It was when Steve looked behind him that everything suddenly came back to him.

"C-Courtney?," He stammered, "Wha...Holy shit, did that stuff on the bus really happened?"

It was the most rhetorical question that Steve Digaetano would ever ask someone. The look on Courtney's face said it all. Tears were streaming down her face.

Steve took some breaths to regain his composure and think over what had happened and what he knew about SoTF, which wasn't a whole lot. He noticed that bag that said "Boy 04 - Steve Digaetano" and decided to unzip it. Inside he found the standard issue stuff everyone else had been given, along with a baseball.

A baseball...a fucking baseball. The disappointment showed on his face.

Steve then remembered that Courtney was still there, and he also remembered that he wasn't exactly on her favorite persons list.

"So umm, how long have you been awake?"
Stuff. Things. Stuff and things.
baby_g†

Post by baby_g† »

"How long have I been awake? We're stuck here with nothing to our names, away from our families and you're asking me HOW LONG I'VE BEEN AWAKE?!"

The hitting Steve's back which had first started in a desperate attempt to wake him up, was now becoming her forceful attack due to her frustration. There he was, sitting there, barely even caring what shit they were now stuck in. Courtney hasn't ever really been one to overly worry about things, though since she met Steve that's all she's been doing. In her mind she was convinced it was all his fault.

"You know, if you wouldn't have been so stupid and ignored my phone calls, none of this probably would have happened! If you didn't like me that's all you had to say. But noooo. You just go on playing this damn mouse and cat game."

Courtney gave her self a chance to catch her breath and gave Steve's back a break. Now on her knees sitting on her feet staring off in front of her trying not to cry anymore than she already was.

This sucks.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler baby_g. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Ares

Post by Ares »

"You know, if you wouldn't have been so stupid and ignored my phone calls, none of this probably would have happened! If you didn't like me that's all you had to say. But noooo. You just go on playing this damn mouse and cat game."

Ignoring the language barrier slip up, Steve gave serious thought to this statement. Steve now realized that the missed calls he ignored while talking to Gabe had been from her. He also remembered trying to talk to her while they were dancing, but Serenity had been burning her eyes into Courtney's back.

"Look...That night was the night Darnell was put in the hospital, and I didn't answer my phone because I was talking to Gabe about something important. I'm sorry you felt hurt, because that wasn't my intention, but when I got that cold look from you the day after I figured that you didn't want to talk, so I just put what I felt on the shelf and continued on my way. I do like you Courtney, and hell seeing you with Nigel at the prom burned me. It really did, but you know what, that doesn't fucking matter right now. If you want to talk about how this is my fault, and some stupid cat and mouse game, then you need to get your priorities straight. I mean do you know how many people at that school will probably be targetting people like me. People like you, and Gabe, and even your cousin. So you either wake the hell up and realize just how deep of shit we're in right now, or I'm going to start walking the other way to find Gabe and try to get off this island. You have 10 seconds."
baby_g†

Post by baby_g† »

"Oh how nice for you. First you pretend like I'm not there and now you're bossing me around like a nanny to a school kid! I don't care if they're hunting down Kara and all them, good."

God you're so cute when you're bossy...

If Courtney had really understood what was going on she probably wouldn't have said that, and she probably would be paying more attention to what was going on rather than Steve's lips. Looking around and seeing no other option, Courtney grabbed the bag that was near her with her name on it and repositioned herself into a squatting stance.

"Fine. I'll come along with you but I don't even understand what's going on here. I'm not quite sure how you Americans work but last time I checked, something along these lines didn't constitute as a 'game'."

Courtney couldn't stop thinking about what Steve had said about Nigel just then. He actually liked her? If that was true, then why didn't he break up with Serenity, or at least say something to her at school, or while they were dancing? One thing was true, she shouldn't be thinking about this right now. They had to gather as many as they could and see what they could do.

"So, what now?"
Ares

Post by Ares »

"Would you please just shut up about me and you. Sure I ignored you, because I had no idea what the hell you wanted out of me okay? You kiss me and then run the fuck away, what am I supposed to think? And for the second fucking time, one of my friends was hospitalized that night, so I'm sorry I didn't answer my fucking phone. My phone wasn't my priority." Steve yelled at Courtney

Steve took some breathes to calm down. Yelling certainly was a good way to attract attention, and he knew had to be more careful. Turning back to Courtney, but still not looking at her, Steve spoke again.

"You said what now? Let me explain something to you Courtney. This isn't an American idea of a game. Those assholes who've done this to us all are terrorists. I know you know what those are," Steve said, possibly a bit too coldly, "This is their idea of a game. It's their way to fuck around with American citizens. They done it twice already that I know about, and that Adam Dodd guy won the first one."

Steve knew he probably wasn't making any sense whatsoever. His mind was racing all over the place.

Gabe, Evan, Nigel, Darnell, Kara, Serenity...all of them might already be dead for fuck sakes. And what the hell? Did those bastards put me near Courtney purposely. I'll give them credit, they sure know how to throw down a mean mind fuck

"All right, we need to find Gabe and Kara, hell we need to find someone that we both know, and listen to me right now, and listen good. If someone attacks us, I'll do my best to defend us both, but that means I may have to kill someone. I WILL NOT purposely go out of my way to kill one of my own classmates, but the same can't be said for others. Have whatever your weapon is ready at all times, and lets decide where we are going."

Steve opened his pack again and grabbed his map and began to study it.
baby_g†

Post by baby_g† »

Courtney rummaged through her pack searching for what was supposed to be her 'weapon'. Instead, she pulled out a long white tub with a pointy nose on the end of it, the thing itself labeled "CAULK". Courtney wasn't sure what else to say to Steve at the moment. Everything had become a bit awkward, and she was never good in those situations. That was mainly the reason she ran away from him at the beach, that and being scared shitless that Serenity was behind a bush ready to pounce on her.

Trying to keep it simple and not really give off the idea that she really just wanted to ball her eyes out, Courtney managed to squeak out, "What's Caulk?"

Putting it on the ground near Steve, Courtney zipped up her bag and tossed it onto her back. She knew who they had to find, even though she didn't look forward to seeing her cousin, she owed it to her. There was no point trying to fix any awkwardness between her and Steve at this point. They'd just have to do what they planned, find the others, and find a way out.
Ares

Post by Ares »

"I know that when you caulk a ship, it means to fix a leak, so its probably some form of sealant." Steve replied, still focusing on the map.

If I were Gabe were would I look for me?

"Maybe we should try that marsh area. Its not a long ways away from here, and I remember Gabe and I once did a run through some marshy wetlands with the football team. Maybe he'd think of that, because unless you know Kara would be somewhere waiting, then I don't have a damn clue where we should head to."

Steve paused, waiting for Courtney's response. When it didn't come, a touch of frustration showed in Steve's face.

"Courtney, we have to go. If you want to sit here, fine, but I won't sit here waiting for some lunatic to come and kill me. I'm going to find my friends."

Steve straightened himself up, and started to walk away. He felt bad at the possibility that Courtney might stay where she was, but there were more important things than a high school crush going on, and that was all Steve had to remember.

((Continued in Those Who Stray...))
baby_g†

Post by baby_g† »

"Steve wait! Please don't leave me behind, I'm sorry! I'm just scared!"

Courtey tried brushing the tears aside with her sleeve. Picking up her bag and throwing it behind her, she quickly got to her feet and followed Steve. She felt bad for making him think that he had to take care of her, or that he owes something to her. Frankly she was really starting to regret evening bringing up the whole prom thing and he she felt he ignored her. This wasn't the time, it was easy to understand that she had just missed out that's all. Either way, if she wanted to survived she'd have to get a move on.

"I'm coming, just wait up!"

((Continued in The Earth isn't Humming for You))

Return to “Overgrown Trail”