The Paths We Take...

Want to roleplay in a location that hasn't been created? Within this forum, your character can go anywhere within the city that he or she needs to go. Feel free to add in your own locations, and have fun with it!
Megami†

The Paths We Take...

Post by Megami† »

((Continued from Out on the Town and Out of the Closet.))

It was a cool, breezy night in the city of Highland Beach. It had rained sometime earlier that day, and the sides of the streets still retained puddles of water that had yet to evaporate or drain down into the sewers below. The street lights surrounding Bryan's Bowl-a-Rama provided some sort of dim lighting around the cracked sidewalks, but only enough to illuminate the area some feet around them. It was fairly late in the evening, probably nearing around eleven o'clock, so there wasn't a lot of traffic in that particular part of town.

Viki Valentine hadn't had time to notice all these things.

She finally came to a stop from the quick dash she had made away from the bowling alley and turned around to face Evan Angler, who had also opted to leave the area just as the police had barged in. She was obviously winded, her face flushed a pale pink from the exhaustion of having ran away from the bowling alley, and she flipped the stray black hairs away from her face as she began laughing quietly.

"Ha... ha ha ha... ha..." she exclaimed breathlessly.

She could still see the bowling alley in the distance. Things seemed like they were calming down a bit at the bowling alley. The squadron of police that had been called in seemed to have all left, the last of them were pulling out of the parking lot as she watched. She felt a little bit bad for Gabe and the rest of her classmates that would probably be spending the night in jail for disorderly conduct, though part of her was laughing at a certain blonde bimbo who had undoubtedly been hauled off along with them.

"Whew..." she uttered, placing an arm against the side of the nearby building momentarily until she could regain her composure.

"Looks like we got out of there just in time," she laughed, "My dad... he's a cop... something tells me he might've been pretty mad if he'd caught me back there in the middle of that. Doesn't matter if I had anything to do with it or not, ya know? Just the fact that I was there probably wouldn't have been good, so, I figured it was time to make my grand exit."

Evan probably didn't care either way, and she didn't really feel the need to justify herself, but it was just some sort of conversation starter. He didn't exactly seem like the most socially adept individual, even though he was fairly high up on the social totem pole at Southridge. Either way, she was just glad to have somebody with her at the moment, because she couldn't help but think that she probably wouldn't want to be walking down the streets in this part of town at this time of night alone.

"That was crazy," she muttered with another laugh, "Are your friends always that dramatic, or was tonight just a special occasion?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
RePeate†

Post by RePeate† »

((Continued from Out on the Town and Out of the Closet))

"Oh drama seems to follow them on a daily basis" Evan replied to Viki, squatting down to catch his breath. He looked up at Viki's face and realized that she looked very pretty when she smiled. She seems real enough... even pretty cute. Time to put her through the compatibility test

"Hey Viki, turn around, there's some dirt on your butt...just there" he said, pointing with his index finger.

He smiled on the inside, as there would be nobody else at the moment he'd rather be stuck downtown with.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler RePeate. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

((Sorry for the short post!))

"I'd believe it," Viki mused at Evan's response, "Especially with that girl around. She seems like she creates drama out of all sorts of stupid things."

She hadn't said it to be rude, it just sort of came out. Besides, it was the truth, and she couldn't help but think that Evan would probably agree with her. Kara Holmes had to be the biggest drama queen at Southridge High School, there was just no way around it. From the short portion of the night that Viki had spent around her, she couldn't wrap her head around the fact that that girl was apparently Serenity Halos's best friend. Serenity was so sweet and so compassionate toward other people, and that girl was the polar opposite. She practically tried to eat them alive. Evan didn't seem to want to talk about Kara though, and instead his focus turned toward another, less serious topic.

"Where?" Viki inquired.

She didn't remember sitting in any dirt, but stranger things had happened. She absent-mindedly dusted off her bottom in an attempt to get the offending dirt off before a faint grin appeared across her features.

"Were you staring at my butt?" she mused with a laugh.

She sincerely doubted that he had been, but either way, it was a funny thought. After the kind of disasterous occurrance the rest of the night had been, it was fun just to laugh at something. The brief thought of asking Evan whether or not they should go bail Gabe (but probably not his creature) out of jail ran through her mind, but she blew off the thought almost as quickly as it came. She doubted she could talk Evan into getting one out without the other tagging along as well, and she was better off for not having to spend the rest of her night with Kara.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
RePeate†

Post by RePeate† »

"Ok, I'll admit, that was a little bit elementary school. You caught me" Evan said, looking more proud than embarassed. "I can't help it, it's a habit". His mind wandered to the events that had just transpired. His friends were probably in jail right now, and here he was hitting on (rather blatantly, some would say) this girl from school.

"Do you think they'll be ok? Should we, uh... like, do something, do you think?" he said, an expression of concern plastered on his face that seemed more forced than real. He wondered if he was capable of even doing anything. He certainly didn't want to wander into a police station while he had coke in his system and announce that he was at the bowling alley with the group that started fighting. He hoped Viki would respond saying that there was nothing that could be done. As much as he liked Gabe, he really wasn't comfortable trying to help him out given his present situation. Also he was enjoying his time alone with this cute, albeit somewhat unremarkable, girl. "Do they, like, need bail or something?"

Then his mind flashed to outside when the Viki and Kara were in each other's faces. That's my ticket out of heading down to recue them. Kara will be there. Viki would never help her. And Gabe and Kara were a package deal. I'd bet anything she'll tell me some simple logical excuse to get out of this. "What do you think we can do? Isn't your dad a cop or something? You know what happens when this stuff goes down, right?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler RePeate. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Evan full-on admitted to the comment that she'd thrown out there jokingly, but Viki simply took his words as just that -- a joke. Even if he had been, it wasn't like it was going to make her uncomfortable. He seemed like a nice enough guy, and completely harmless, so it wasn't a big deal. He called it a "habit" and she couldn't help but crack a smile.

"I wouldn't call it elementary," she mused with a grin, "Elementary would be pushing me down in the mud and laughing. Nah, I'd give you junior high at least."

It hadn't been an uncommon thing for Viki in Junior High either. Back then, she was still in the running to be the "it" girl. That was before she had graciously stepped out of the running and let people like Kara and Serenity overtake it. In junior high, and during her younger years, it had been fun to be popular and have friends and be considered pretty by your fellow classmates. When high school came around, it became way too much of a hassle, and it was like a fierce competition. It all seemed so silly.

She could still remember herself prancing around the playground back in elementary school with the Shirley Temple ringlets her mother always curled her hair into and the poofiest dress she could find at the local department store. Strangely enough, Viki was one of the few people she knew who could look back on memories like that and smile. Things got way too complicated on the high school level. Personality didn't matter at all, and the sad truth was that looks had little to do with anything either. Basically, one's claim to fame in high school depended on who they were sleeping with, as sad as it was.

She was brought away from her thoughts as Evan's turned toward his friends in jail. He might've been a decent actor when he was trying, but he didn't even seem to hide the disinterest in bailing his friends out of jail. When he voiced it, she couldn't help but think that he was looking for some kind of reassurance that he should (or maybe shouldn't) do something about Gabe and Kara being incarcarated for the evening. If he wanted someone to convince him to go bail them out, he had definitely picked the wrong person.

"Don't worry about it," Viki shrugged with a smile, "Gabe won't get in much trouble. He might've started it and all, but the police around here have much bigger things to deal with than some kid that started a fight at a bowling alley, ya know? Best case scenario, they take him home with a slap on the wrist and tell him to mind his manners, worst case scenario he spends the night in jail and goes home in the morning."

She didn't say anything about Kara. She didn't know all the details of the fight. She had only run inside long enough to pull who she could out of the alley before bailing herself. She thought that Kara had thrown a bowling ball at Brad or something, but she wasn't entirely sure. She couldn't help but hope they'd prosecute her for attempted murder or something, but she sincerely doubted HBPD would take it that seriously. She somehow figured Kara had probably wriggled her way out of trouble many times before.

Besides, she couldn't help but smile at another thought that was passing through her mind.

"And besides that, I don't know about you, but I think being stuck in a jail cell overnight with a chick named Butch might take little miss Kara down a couple knotches."

Viki shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly and smiled.

"Why let it ruin the rest of the night?"
RePeate†

Post by RePeate† »

He couldn't put his finger on it, but Evan really enjoyed the vibe Viki gave off. It was a sort of non-chalant cool that made her seem so genuine. Evan always considered those around him to be fake (they likely thought the same of him) so this girl was turning out to be a refreshing change to what he was accustomed to. By now the coke was coming out of his system. Or more likely sweated out during their last 100m dash to escape the police. Evan could see really clearly he was starting to get attracted hard to this girl.
The last time Evan had had a steady girlfriend was over a year ago, and since then he'd had only a couple of "casual" encounters with girls from work or that he'd meet at parties. Whatever it was, Evan reserved his usual judgemental yearning for the highest standards in women, and decided he would test how far things might go with her.

"Yeah, why let it ruin a fun night huh? Right now, I'm up for doing something cool. This is going to sound really dorky, but there's two things I'd be really down for... there's uhh, the go karts..." he said, sheepishly rubbing the back of his head, "...or maybe Lazer Tag?". He remembered that old kitsche-y things from childhood seemed to become the popular pastimes of the day. It was, after all, why they were out bowling. But the way Evan suggested them felt pretty embarassing. Nice Ev... what's next? Mini-putt and rock-climbing? He looked over at Viki for some reassurance that what he'd said wasn't worth making fun of, but before he could get an answer he added "...I mean, we could do whatever. It's really up to you. I'd just think it'd be cool, you know? I mean how long has it been since you've gone go karting or done some Lazer Tag?". He tried to sound excited when he said it, to sound like a unique suggestion that'd just popped into his mind, but the truth was he'd been wanting to do those things for a few days now and failed to find anyone to go with. People were always too busy to do the stuff Evan wanted. "I don't think either is a long way off. Two blocks walking, maybe three...". He remembered that Gabe's car was probably still at the bowling alley, but cursed that fact Gabe probably still had the keys with him.

"What do you say, hmmm?"
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

((Sorry for the short post!))

"Go-Karts and laser tag..." Viki repeated with a slight giggle, "I haven't heard anyone suggest something like that in a long time."

She hadn't been on the go-karts in years, even though when she was younger she had always loved that little theme park down by the pier. Sure, it was probably cliche, and the park sounded like something out of an old eightees romance movie or something campy like that, but even though it was a little worn around the edges, it still held this certain charm to it that a lot of places around town didn't have anymore.

Or...

"Sounds like fun to me," Viki grinned, "Go-Karts sound awesome, but can I tell you something really funny? I've never played laser tag before in my life."

She really hadn't. Her whole childhood had been filled with pageants and the like, and she'd never had time to do many of the things other kids did. Maybe that was part of the reason why she didn't try to be the Queen Bee of the school here and now. She wanted to live and enjoy her life, not be boxed in by what the rest of the school thought she should and shouldn't be doing.

"When I was little," she explained, "I was mom's little pageant girl. Got to get all dressed up and be paraded around like Barbie or something, so I... I dunno, I guess I missed out on a lot. Mom always thought I'd get dirty or something if I ever went to play outside."

She couldn't help but laugh, because as seriously as her mom had taken the whole pageant thing back when she was little, it just seemed funny now for her mother -- a semi-celebrity in town -- to be so worried about her daughter's appearance.

"So," Viki mused with a grin, "Wanna teach me?"
RePeate†

Post by RePeate† »

Evan wasn't sure of Viki's intentions, but he was quite excited at her enthusiasm for his ides. When he first thought of suggesting them, they sounded cheesy in his mind. But as he witnessed, maybe they weren't such bad ideas after all.

"Lasers it is. It's pretty simple to learn. Point and shoot. The trick is to dodge and aim. You can shoot all willy-nilly, but that'd reduce your accuracy. At the end they even give you a scorecard so you can see how you did." Evan had a scorecard at home in a game where he came in first out of twnty-four other people, but he didn't tell Viki that. "The place is only just around the corner on Palsen St. You know... next to the Pizza Hut." He looked into Viki's eyes just to make sure she was serious on going, and not just stringing him along. To Evan she seemed legit, so he added "If we go now, we can get in a game before they close for tournament night". He was probably showing her that he knew a little TOO much about Lazer Tag, and he started fidgeting with the ring on his right index finger out of nervousness.

Evan could tell internally that this night would have two outcomes: he would hook up with Viki, or he would go home depressed. He was falling for her, and there was no way he could avoid it.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Apparently, Evan was pretty into laser tag. That much became blatantly apparent as soon as Viki vocalized the fact that she had no knowledge of the game whatsoever. As he described it, though, she couldn't help but think that it sounded pretty easy. Just point, and shoot. Then again, most things that seemed easy weren't really as simple as they claimed. There were other factors to be taken into account, and even she, having never played the game before, could imagine what they were. Obviously, you didn't want to get hit by the other players.

But she supposed things like that pretty much went without saying.

"Sounds like fun," Viki mused with a grin.

She'd probably be an easy out, having never played the game before. From what she picked up as Evan talked about the game, it seemed like he had played it many times before. In truth, she was kind of surprised that someone like him would be interested in something like laser tag. He just didn't seem the type. Then again, he was a lot nicer than she had ever imagined him being. It wasn't that she ever though Evan Angler was a bad person, but before tonight, she hadn't really known much about him other than the fact that he was friends with Gabe McCallum and Steve Digaetano, two of Southridge High School's star football players.

That was about the extent that she knew about Evan. He was friends with Gabe and Steve, he ran around with Kara Holmes and occassionally Kara's cousin whats-her-name and Serenity. Maybe it was just the impression he gave off walking around the hallways, but he had seemed like somewhat of a snob then. Now, though, she felt bad for ever thinking that, because he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Then again, it seemed like all guys came off that way at first.

"Tournament night, huh?" she laughed, "I'm up for it, but I'm probably gonna be the first out. I'm horrible at stuff like this."

It wasn't like she would be too distraught if she was eliminated early. She just wanted to go out and have fun. So far, this had been the most interesting (and least dramatic) part of the night for her, and she wasn't in too much of a hurry for it to end. She didn't quite know what Evan was thinking or why he'd chosen to come along with her after his friends had gotten arrested back at the bowling alley, but to her, it was just her, going out with a new friend and having a good time. It never crossed her mind that Evan might be thinking something entirely different.

"Well, what're we waiting for?" she smiled, "Let's go."
RePeate†

Post by RePeate† »

Evan did a quick check of his personal belongings before he decided he'd take off with Viki and go do something. Housekeys? Check. Wallet? Check. What little coke I have left? Got it. Cellphone? Yep. Ok, let's get this show moving.

"Ok ok, hold your horses. We'll get going. Just wanted to make sure I didn't leave anyhting behind". His mind flashed to Gabe sitting in the back of a cop car, and he did his best to shake it. A tinge of guilt gripped his mind for a few seconds before he turned to Viki, calmed his composure, and said "Let's do this".

He started walking, very slowly at first to ensure Viki was following, then he stepped up his pace when he was sure she was. What luck. How did I end up here? It's like life is giving me things on a silver platter again.
Evan often felt as though he was constantly surrounded by a string of good luck for lengthy periods of time where just about everything would go right for him. And now, escaping the cops, being alone with Viki, and just generally feeling pretty good for someone who was almost arrested ensured he believed he was in one of those lucky runs. As the two walked, Evan attempted some more small talk.

"So, do you work? I mean, what do you do after school. I work. I think I'm one of the few people remaining whose parents forced him to get a job. Do you like your job? I wasn't a fan at first, but now it's strating to grow on me." He was babbling again, as it happened whenever he'd try to talk to girls he thought were cute. He forcibly stopped himself from talking when he realized he was doing it, and awaited an answer from Viki, keeping walking pace with her the entire trip.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

She waited patiently as Evan searched through his pockets to make sure he hadn't left any of his belongings back at the bowling alley. That was one advantage being a girl had -- as long as you had your purse, you had everything, and there was never any need to worry about it. The bad part was, when you left it behind, you left everything behind. Viki had barely sat hers down over the course of the night, and so she wasn't too worried about having left any of her things behind.

Things had turned out so differently from the evening they'd had planned. In a way, she was sort of glad. She, Chelsey, and some of the other waitstaff they had gotten to know or went to school with had planned on bowling, and the night probably would've turned into one of two things -- them attending a party, which Viki wasn't crazy about doing, or them going back to someone's house to watch movies, which always wound up being insanely boring and by about one in the morning everybody was wiped out and sleeping.

She hadn't imagined herself going to play laser tag with some guy from school that she barely knew. Still, it hadn't been bad so far. Evan finally gathered himself, and she couldn't help but laugh at him.

"Geez, you're worse than a girl," she laughed, obviously just teasing.

The building they were headed to wasn't all that far from where they were, and Viki didn't mind walking there, but she couldn't help but wonder how she was supposed to get home. She didn't know if Evan had driven, but she somehow seriously doubted it simply due to the fact that if he had, they probably wouldn't have been walking to their next destination. She supposed she could always try her dad again later on that night, or if all else failed she could take a cab or something. She scrunched her nose up as the thought passed through her mind. It wasn't all that appealing.

Evan was rambling on about his job, and although he had asked her a question, he'd barely given her time to get a word in edgewise. She couldn't help but laugh, but not in an annoyed way. She was just glad she'd wound up with someone who would actually attempt to make conversation with her. If she'd somehow gotten stuck with Kara when the police showed up, or even someone like Josh, she couldn't imagine the night turning out so well. She was fortunate to not wind up with someone whose throat she was at.

"I'm just a waitress," she mused with a smile, "At Taliano's in the mall. You guys've been in there before... at least, I know Gabe and Steve have. They always sit in Serenity's section."

For some reason it almost took Viki offguard that Evan worked. From what little she knew of him, she knew that the Angler family was pretty well-to-do, so he definitely had the money to do whatever he wanted with. He just didn't strike her as being a typical working class citizen, and when he started talking about his job, she almost felt guilty for ever having made that assumption.

"Where do you work?" she inquired curiously.
RePeate†

Post by RePeate† »

"Me? Oh I've seen you come into the store often, so I know you must know that I work at the BK next to the school". Evan had actually seen many of his classmates, since he worked as a cook at the Burger King almost next door to the high school. He hated the work at first, but over time grew quite chummy with his coworkers (who were mostly kids the same age). He even worked at the same BK with Gabe for a few months, before Gabe quit. But Evan's parents wouldn't take it too well if he'd quit. The job was their idea. "It's not as glamorous a job, I'll admit, but it pays for my car. That, and my parents INSISTED I get it."

He was glad Viki didn't seem threatened or put off by him. Often times he'd play things very laid back, almost to the point of stoicism. Some people didn't like that. With Viki, he was trying to remain engaged and not seem so cold. So far, it was working. He continued their banter as he sidestepped a fire hydrant to remain walking next to Viki.

They were only a block away; he could actually see the building. It was relatively new, at least it seemed so. It had opened when Evan was in Grade 5, so to Evan he felt as though it was new even though it'd been around for over half a decade. The building was covered in shiny metal siding, and a big neon sign above the front double doors read "Tag Zone Lazer Tag". The place wasn't a chain of places where one normally played Lazer Tag. This was an independent company run by a man who happened to own several other businesses in town, and was a good friend of the Angler family. As such, Evan found he was able to get free games whenever the owner was there. Evan hoped he was, so he could at least make a good impression on Viki. If there was one thing Evan could show off, it was his connections. The Anglers were well respected in the business community of Highland Beach.

"Looks like we're almost there. Speaking of which, I should mention... I'm pretty good at this".
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

((Sorry this took so long, Peate.))

His response came off as a bit arrogant. Then again, she probably should have noticed him, she'd just never taken the time to do so. She had been in there pretty much every other day up until a few months ago. She always told everybody that it was just a quick and convenient place to catch lunch before she headed in to work, because, like she said, "Eating Talianos every day gets really old, really fast". The blatant truth was, though, that the only reason she went into BK every other day was because for a while, it meant that she ran into Gabe every other day.

"Oh, yeah," Viki responded with a laugh, "Guess you just don't look the same without the trademark Burger King hat."

She sort of felt bad for not having ever noticed that he worked there, but she tried to push the guilty feeling into the back of her mind. It wasn't as if he knew she had never noticed him, or even paid enough attention to care. She had just been so fixated on someone else that she hadn't had time to notice the other people around her. She decided it was best just to forget about it. It didn't really matter anyway.

Evan's words threw her out of her thoughts, and she couldn't help but laugh when he mentioned that he was quite good at laser tag.

It figures, you know. I don't know how to play and he's good. This should be... interesting, at the very least. Maybe it'll be fun.

"So, you're gonna take it easy on me, right?"
RePeate†

Post by RePeate† »

Evan watched as Viki phased out for a split second, and then regained her composure and asked him to 'take it easy'. He crossed his arms and developed a smug smirk on his face as he looked her up and down visibly. "Hmmmm", he pondered in an exaggerated tone out loud. After a few seconds he stopped and said "Nope. Sorry. You're a full grown girl. I'm afraid I can't cut you any breaks tonight".

He said it in a tone that conveyed he was just joking, but he cracked under the pressure of her not responding and added "I'm kidding, I'm kidding... I'll slow things down a bit for you. I know girls are bad at this sort of thing...hehe". He waited, fully expecting playful retaliation for teasing her. Girls always did that for some reason. It was like fishing. He'd throw out the bait, and they'd playfully hit him on the shoulder or frown in a funny way.

They two of them finally arrived at the large set of double doors painted bright green. He reached out his hand and held one of the doors open, allowing Viki to go through first. "Hoo-boy... lookes like we're here. Welcome to the danger zone, missy".
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

She couldn't help but laugh internally at Evan's response to her question. He was clearly joking when he said no, his overexaggerated tone made that much blatantly obvious, but what she found even more amusing was the fact that when she didn't say something immediately thereafter, he felt the need to voice the fact that he was just playing around very quickly. She tried to hide the smirk appearing on her face and attempted to appear almost offended by what he had said, but it simply wasn't working. His comment about girls being "bad at this sort of thing", like he had probably anticipated, saw him dealt a light punch in the arm.

"So what happens if I turn out to be really good at this?" she mused with a smile, "Because if I don't suck horribly, for that comment, I'm going to have to kick your butt."

She took a moment to brush a couple of loose strands of hair out of her face.

"And besides that, if I can't be full grown and a girl at the same time. I think that'd make me a woman, don't you?"

It was such a stupid thing to correct, but she found it amusing all the same. She stuck her tongue out playfully before her attention turned back in front of her and to the front doors of the building that they had finally arrived at. It seemed like it had taken them forever to get here, but she didn't really mind all that much. She was having fun, and Evan was certainly better company than Chelsey had been over the course of the night. At least with him, she didn't have to listen to someone babbling on and on about how cute some random guy they had passed by was.

In the back of her mind, she couldn't help but wonder what was going on with the other people who had gotten arrested back at the bowling alley. Part of her felt sort of bad that they'd been arrested and that that whole scene had been caused back there, but it wasn't like there was anything she could have done about it. She was kind of amused by the fact that Kara Holmes had gotten arrested, and she could only imagine that she was going to be in some kind of huge trouble when she got home, but really, she felt bad for Gabe.

But it wasn't like they were really her friends or anything, so it wasn't her problem, or her obligation to do anything about it.

Evan opened one of the double doors on the front of the building for her, and she was actually somewhat surprised by it. It wasn't that she thought him ill-mannered or anything, but she just wasn't used to anybody opening doors for her except her father, and that was only when they went out to eat or something. She entered the building, and the colors scattered around the walls were almost a complete eyesore. Neon green, dark green, black and purple, among other colors, seemed to be scattered this way and that. She blinked twice, trying to get her eyes used to the building.

"You know," she commented offhandedly, "I'm surprised your cell phone isn't ringing off the hook yet."

Return to “The City of Highland Beach”