The Greatest Weight

G35 start - open to anyone

A large mountain range covers the far northern portion of the island, although most of the range is too dangerous to traverse. A small and secluded ranch has been built into the lower portion of the mountains, and the old ranch house, horse stables, and antiquated barn all beg for a fresh coat of red.
Cyco†

The Greatest Weight

Post by Cyco† »

Jana woke up amidst a hay bale, and for one moment of ignorant bliss, didn't know where she was or why she was there. Then, boom, it hit her again, not as hard as the first time, but equally jarring. Vomit climbed its way suddenly up her throat, but she choked it down with some effort, tears burning from not only the sudden acidic presence, but the realization of her predicament. What were the odds? Some piss-ant county in Jersey. She still couldn't believe it. It felt unfair.

'Oh my God...I'm there now. I'm on the island...' She felt the foreign daypack next to her and turned over on her side to see it. G35, it said. She sobbed at the cruel notion suggested by the white stencil, that she was nothing more than a number to these people.

'How can they do something like this?' she thought, clutching the sides of her head as if to shield herself from a wild animal.

"I'm...I'm a k-k-kid!! I'm a fucking kid!" she screamed through her tears, squinting her eyes shut and digging her nails into her scalp. She sat up with a burst of anxious energy and got to her feet, coming nearly cheek-to-cheek with the gaping, sightless visage of the corpse of a boy with a hook through the back of his head. She let out a sharp cry of horror and despair, but it sounded more like a crazed laugh. More tears flowed forth. She threw herself back down heavily on the hay bale, twisting her torso and putting both arms straight against the straw beside her, hanging her head and letting her hair cover her eyes. This was the worst she'd ever felt, worse than after her mothers death, and she felt terrible for acknowledging that her own peril had affected her more. She felt subhuman.

"God, just kill me," she whispered, shivering over her encounter with the human pinata.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Cyco. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

((Continued from Silence and Solitude.  Sorry for the shitty post, hun.  People won't let me concentrate long enough to write anything worthwhile.))

She had had every intention in the world of leaving this place and never looking back.  Still, for some reason, Sera Wingfield had lingered near the ranch after witnessing the death of Adam Amato and killing Brandon Cuthbert.  After all, the ranch was safe.  She knew that much.  She had helped clear it, as demented as that sounded.

Sera trapsed through the soaking rain.  She had intended on finding some sort of shelter from the weather, but something in the back of her mind had kept her from entering the farmhouse.  Now, as she approached the somewhat dilapidated barn nearby, she couldn't help but think that it seemed better shelter than the house.  At least it wouldn't be occupied... maybe.

The scream that resounded from inside told her otherwise.

Hesitantly, Sera extracted the gun she'd picked up off of Adam Amato from her daypack and checked to make sure that there was still some ammunition inside.  The shock of actually shooting Brandon still hadn't completely set in yet, but Sera wasn't really looking forward to pulling the trigger again.  Still, she had to admit to herself... it was sort of exciting, in a weird way.

Entering the barn quietly, Sera slinked along the wall, trying to avoid being seen by the wimpering individual that was sprawled over a haybale inside.  Brushing her pale blonde locks from her eyes with her free hand, she crept into the area, training her gun on the unaware girl.  The sentence the girl uttered made Sera smile coyly.  This could be entertaining.

"That could be arranged."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cyco†

Post by Cyco† »

As if her first few moments on the island hadn't been bad enough already, the sudden entrance of a pistol-packing third party sent a jolt through Jana's spine. The strangers words were soft, but also cold and malevolent, and she might as well have screamed "BOO!" at the top of her lungs.

Jana drew her legs up in front of her on the hay bale with a start, her sorrow cut in line abruptly by the scenario she was now in. The gun acted as a big red stop sign, freezing her on the spot, and despite her previous wishes Jana couldn't bring herself to move for fear of exciting the other girls trigger finger. Her designated weapon was still in her bag beside her, but she wouldn't be able to go for it fast enough. Even then, it could be one of the cruel gag weapons like in the original SOTF. It wasn't a risk she was willing to take at the moment.

"Wait..." she finally choked, hugging her knees with one arm and holding the other in front of her in protest. She wasn't expecting the slightest bit of mercy, in fact Jana was quite sure that this was the end. So soon, too. Only once had she ever given it any thought, but she'd been convinced that her chances of survival in SOTF were below zero. A negative integer to a thousand or a fucking million or...it didn't matter. Bottom line was, she wasn't cut out for it. She couldn't kill someone in cold blood.

Jana was at a loss for words after her initial objection, and quivered silently for a moment. The fear came upon her that if she did so for too long, the other girl would become bored and dispose of her, so she wasted no time in completing her thought.

"...I changed my mind."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Cyco. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

A light smile crossed Sera's lips as the other girl protested.  She seemed absolutely harmless, especially now as she cowered down in front of Sera's pistol.  Still, it was better not to take chances.  She'd come in here of her own free will, after all.  What had her plan of action been?  Did she even have a plan of action?  Truthfully, Sera really just wanted to get out of the rain.  Still, giving this other girl quite the scare was fun.

"I figured," she stated softly, "You really should be careful what you wish for in this place, you know.  You might get it."

It was true.  Wishing yourself dead in a game where virtually everyone around you was trying to kill you probably wasn't the best strategy to take on for this "game".  Sera smiled lightly -- that fake smile, the one that almost made her look innocent -- and brushed her hair from her face again.

"So what'd they give you?" she inquired, half curious to see what she was up against.

Then again, maybe that was a bad idea.  What if they'd given her something worthwhile?  In the days that had passed on the island, Sera had heard everything from gunshots to explosions.  It should've made her wary, but it didn't.  It almost made her excited... the kind of excited you get when you're playing Russian Roulette.  Every move could be your last, but you get this incredible high when you cheat death.  Maybe that's what it was.

Snapping out of her reverie, Sera looked the redheaded girl up and down.  She looked several years younger than Sera.  Maybe that was a good thing.  Younger kids were more gullible, more easily intimidated, easily manipulated... or so she'd come to know in her previous experience with them.  The girl's uniform, however, was what interested Sera all the more.  It held a sort of distant familiarity to her.

"Gilroy, right?" she indicated, pointing toward the girl's outfit, "It's like they grabbed the whole fucking town."

Home and the people in it had really only been passing thoughts to Sera over four days on the island.  Still, at this moment, she couldn't help but think that she'd really like to go home.  Although the rain had done a nice job of washing away the blood of her last two victims, it didn't wash away the fact that she had instigated the murder of one and played a hand in the murder of the other.  Perhaps the most disturbing thing was that she had no remorse for what she'd done, even after the fact.

I had no choice, right?  It was coming anyway, with Brandon's mouth and Adam's temper.  I just helped things along a little bit, that's all.  Besides, Brandon was deranged.  He shot me, for God's sakes.  They really did have it coming.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cyco†

Post by Cyco† »

Jana waited for the other girl to pull the trigger, unconvinced that her objections had altered her fate any further than simply delaying it for a few seconds. Maybe if she'd used her waking moments more effectively she could have avoided such an early elimination.

The intruder took the liberty of rubbing Jana's nose in her own cowardice. She sniffed and wiped her eyes, still shaking like she was sitting in a meat locker instead of a barn. She was asked what item the terrorists had issued her to defend herself. Could she bluff her way out of the situation?

'Uhhhh...rocket launcher!'

"I dunno," she answered honestly. "I haven't checked yet." She didn't bother to mention that she'd just come to a minute ago. Still the other girl made no motion to end Jana's life, and she found herself clinging onto an inkling of hope that maybe she would survive the encounter. The blonde girl was a more level-headed competetor than she'd expected, after hearing all those horror stories at school. She had never actually needed to watch the program to get the fill on the latest exploits of Survival's deranged psycho-killers. She'd had nightmares...

The other girl made an inquiry as to her school. Gilroy? "Yeah." Suddenly she thought of something she'd been too panicked to think of before. How many Gilroy students were on this island? Was Eric? Her heart sank at the idea that not only she would fall victim to this twisted game, but also her brother.

She couldn't take the suspense any longer. "Are you going to kill me?" she finally brought herself to ask, hoping she wasn't just encouraging her.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

The forwardness of the girl's question caught Sera offguard for just a moment.  Within seconds, though, that coy smile reappeared on the blonde's angelic lips and she toyed nonchalantly with her gun.  Although the redheaded girl seemed genuinely scared for her life, Sera thought this was funny.  In essence, she was like a cat, toying with her prey before deciding whether or not to devour it.

"I don't know," she responded, "Do you want me to?"

Lowering her pistol slowly, Sera shook her head and laughed quietly.  This was all so messed up on so many levels.  She wanted to rest in the barn, if only for a little while.  She just wanted to get out of the rain.  Internally, she was weighing her options.  She could either dispose of this girl, intimidate her into leaving, or coexist with her throughout the storm.  Sera was tired, and the last option seemed the simplest.

Still, it wasn't without its flaws.  She could form some sort of temporary alliance with this girl, if only to weather the storm.  But what happened the next morning when Danya made his announcement and Sera's name was on it?  She could make up a fake name.  This girl didn't know her, they hadn't gone to the same school.  But... what happened if she wanted to tag along the next morning?  What happened if someone who did know Sera happened upon the barn?

"To be honest with you, I just want to rest.  It's been a really hard day."

Suddenly, the gears in Sera's mind started turning.  She didn't have to lie about who she was.  All she had to do was lie about what happened between herself, Adam, and Brandon.  This girl was young and gullible, and Sera honestly doubted that she knew either of the two boys in question.  It should be no problem to rewrite the scenario to fit her own needs.  Yes, that'd be perfect.  Simply perfect.

"But listen... if I'm gonna hang out here, and you're gonna hang out here, I don't want to go into this with any kind of pretense, because you're gonna find out anyway.  I killed somebody this morning." Time to pour on the sympathy. "But hear me out, okay?  I stumbled upon this ranch this morning, and no sooner than I got here, this guy ambushed me from the bushes.  I mean, we're talking... ran out, guns ablazing..."

Sera waved Adam's Redhawk in the air to indicate a point.

"I tried to talk him down when another boy showed up.  They got into it, and I thought they were gonna wind up killing one another... but they didn't."

And now for the coupe de grace.

"I thought things were going to be okay.  I thought we were going to form a truce," almost as if on cue, tears begin forming in Sera's bright blue eyes.  She'd faked crying a dozen times before for various reasons, so this was a piece of cake, "But then they decided... they decided they wanted to rape me.  I tried to run, and one of them shot me.  I didn't know what to do.  I... I guess someone was watching over me, because before they could do anything, they started arguing about who got to do it first.  And... and then, Brandon shot Adam.  I was so scared.  I grabbed Adam's gun, and I fired.  I don't know why, but I fired, and I killed Brandon."

Voila.  The perfect portrait.

"I'm... I'm sorry," Sera blurted out in between sniffles.  This truly was artwork.  Perhaps her greatest ever.  "I just... I had to tell somebody.  But I wanted you to know.  I don't know if you can trust someone like... like me.  I don't know if I could either.  If you want me to leave, I'll understand."

She composed herself slightly, still managing somehow to hide the cheshire cat smile that threatened to shine through as she flopped down on a nearby hay bale.  Letting out a deep sigh, Sera stifled her crying.

"I've tried to block it out of my mind, but it's so hard.  I'm so afraid of everyone... so afraid to get close to anyone else.  That's why... that's why I came in with the gun.  I don't want to hurt anyone else, really.  I don't want anymore blood on my hands.  I don't think I can bare to do it again.  I hope you understand."

Wiping the tears from her eyes once again, Sera inwardly congratulated herself on perhaps the best acting of her entire life.  It had done all too well on her end.  Here she was, the damsel in distress, forced into doing a horrible action in order to save herself from harm.  This girl was young and sentimental, Sera could tell that much.  Maybe she'd fall for Sera's facade.

"My name's Sera."
Cyco†

Post by Cyco† »

Jana held her breath as she waited for a response, preferring a solid conclusion to this uncomfortable suspense. The seconds crawled by on their hands and knees. The other girl smiled, and her reply cleared up nothing. "I don't know. Do you want me to?"

'I'll take a raincheck on that one, lady.'

"No," she said quietly, and she was relieved to find that the blonde girl not only complied, but lowered her weapon slowly down in front of her. She laughed and shook her head, and Jana let half an unsure smile creep across her face, bewildered but cautiously optimistic. Maybe she was a crazy after all. She seemed to be considering the situation, and Jana didn't dare rush her, lest she raise that 9mm sucker right back up and make short work of her.

Finally she spoke, expressing want for a place to rest. She added that it had been 'a hard day', and Jana found herself quite able to sympathize now that the gun was out of her face. She was having a hard day herself. Maybe the blonde girls scare tactic a moment ago had just been neccessary to hide her own fear. Jana sniffed and tried not to look at the gun as she thought about what to say next.

"But listen..." the girl started up again.

'?'

"...I killed somebody this morning."

'....'

Jana still said nothing; she was more curious than she was frightened now. The blonde girl seemed sincere, and although she still remained wary of the intruder, things were looking a lot better than they were a minute ago. Jana was all ears as she told the ugly story, and she was surprised when near the end the girl broke into tears. Not that she blamed her, of course; what she'd been through made Jana's first moments on the island seem pleasant. Well, not quite. But still!

"Oh, that's terrible!" Jana exclaimed sadly, her need to comfort the poor sobbing figure overriding her previous caution as she got up from her spot to join the other girl at hers. She ignored the gun in her hand and put an arm around her. It was horrifying what this game was capable of doing to some people, really it was. She didn't understand how all those people back home could watch all of this on their television sets. It certainly hadn't been welcome in the small Brown household.

"I'm...I'm sorry..."

"Shh...it's ok..."

"...I've tried to block it out of my mind, but it's so hard..."

"Aww...you had no choice..."

"My name's Sera."

She leaned out a bit from her sideways embrace to get a good look at what seemed to be a new friend. "I'm Jana," she said.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

((Sorry Cyco.  It's been a hectic week, and I've got a huge case of writer's block.))

As Jana joined her on the hay bale, Sera forced herself into hiding a grin that threatened to creep across her face.  Just like she'd predicted, the younger girl fell headfirst into Sera's made-up sob story.  She decided that she'd stick with this girl, at least for a little while.  "Jana", as she'd identified herself as, would be easy to mold and manipulate.

"I'm glad somebody understands," Sera lied, "After it happened, I was scared to be around anybody else.  They seemed so harmless, you know?  Sure, Adam seemed a little bit out there, but I would've never dreamed that he'd turn around and try to rape me out of nowhere."

She let out a light sigh as if in deep contemplation.

"It's scary what this game does to people... people who were probably perfectly normal once.  He was a good looking guy, you know?  Somebody I probably would've dated if I'd met up with him back home.  I thought he was harmless.  But now, he's dead... I'm sorry, I know I'm rambling, but it's just so surreal.  I never thought I'd kill someone.  I never thought someone would get killed over me.  This game... it's just all different kinds of fucked up, you know?"

Sera gave the redheaded girl sitting beside her a halfhearted smile.  Really, if she ever got out of this place, she should seriously consider a job in acting.  She was doing quite the bang up job acting all torn up and grief stricken over some guy she hadn't thought twice about getting killed.  Jana didn't know that, and she seemed to be falling deeper and deeper into Sera's web of lies.

"But, enough about me.  It's all we've talked about.  Tell me about you."
Cyco†

Post by Cyco† »

Jana felt like she'd pulled the thorn from the lions paw. Sera was just as frightened and alone as she was. But that was ok, because at least they were frightened and alone together.

Sera expounded further on the boy named Adam. "...he was a good looking guy, you know? Somebody I probably would've dated if I'd met up with him back home..."

'Are you nuts? He tried to rape you!'

"But, enough about me. It's all we've talked about. Tell me about you."

"Well umm," said Jana, running a finger through her hair on the side of her head and finding a piece of straw, "I think I might have peed myself when you pulled that gun on me." She cracked a smile, and even found herself able to laugh a little. "I'm just kidding," she quickly added, patting the blonde girls hand lightly.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

((I don't know why, but for some reason I thought I already responded to this.  *headdesk*))

At Jana's almost comical response to Sera's question about her, she couldn't help but crack an almost genuine smile.  When Jana felt the need to confirm that she was just kidding, Sera's smile grew even wider.  Of course, it wasn't because Jana was loosening up, it was the thought of Sera's intimidation factor actually working and Jana nearly peeing her pants over the whole scenario.  But she didn't have to know that.

"God," she stated exasperatedly, "This is so messed up.  What kind of screwed up son-of-a-bitch gets the bright idea to abduct a whole bunch of kids, strap a collar around their necks, and make them kill one another?  We never saw it coming, either.  Like, one minute, I was sitting with a group of friends in the most retarded sex-ed seminar I'd ever been to, and the next moment, I'm sitting in a room listening to our principal go on this big tirade about how worthless we are and how we're all going to die, basically.  Completely blindsided everybody."

She sighed lightly as the thought of the abduction came back to her.

"What about you?" she inquired, "How'd they get to Gilroy?  It's so bizarre, it's like they took the entire town or something."
Cyco†

Post by Cyco† »

((sounds like somebody could use a tropical vacation. Image ))

Sera smiled, and Jana was glad that her newfound comrade had a sense of humor. It took her mind off of the situation a bit. Part of her was well aware that she was just repressing her fear and mental anguish, that an ally here was really nothing more than a product of her denial, but in all honesty that part of her didn't care. It was better than bearing that immeasurable weight she'd felt before, when she'd come to. It was a suffocating, overwhelming pressure that she didn't want to surface again.

Sera voiced her feelings on the masterminds of their sudden abduction, posing to her the rhetorical question, "What kind of screwed up son-of-a-bitch gets the bright idea to abduct a whole bunch of kids, strap a collar around their necks, and make them kill one another?"

'The same kind of screwed-up sonofabitch that gets a kick out of watching it,' Jana thought to herself, but she was silent until Sera inquired about Gilroy's inclusion to the program.

How did they get Gilroy? She didn't want to think about it. "None of us saw it coming either," she replied, trying to think of something else to say to get her off the hook from having to relive the horrifying ordeal. "They said we were going to a homecoming dance...but I guess they meant a barn dance." She smiled again, but it was much weaker than the one that had preceeded it, and after a moment it dissappeared altogether. She was already there inside her mind, might as well tell her. Jana took a moment to gather herself, and relayed just what had happened on the bus.

"We were on the bus, and...the busdriver, I guess he was in on it. One minute I was sitting beside my homeroom teacher, the next...there's little bits of her on my lap." She quivered ever so slightly as she glanced down at the mottled brown stains on the front of her skirt. She'd spent the entirety of that terrible rape video trying to rub them out, too scared to move from the bloody corpse sitting beside her for fear of meeting the same fate. "I don't want to talk about it anymore," she finally decided. "Sorry."

It was the last thing she remembered happening before waking up, but Jana had been out a long time. Now that she thought about it, there was a nasty cut (from a pallet knife during art class) on her right middle finger that had healed far too quickly for just one day. It had still been bothering her during the busride, being the only thing she could think about until the abduction, and now it had all but dissappeared. "How long has this been going on?" she asked, putting together exactly what it meant if the answer was anything more than ten or fifteen minutes.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Jana regaled Sera with her tale of murder, mayhem, and horror, and for once in her life, Sera could sympathize.  She had no intentions of trusting this girl or truly befriending her, but if nothing else, she could sympathize with Jana's situation.  After all, the story Jana told was an all too familiar one.  The girl attempted to make light of the situation before shutting down completely, indicating that she didn't want to talk about it anymore.

"Fair enough," Sera responded, "It was hard for you, I'm sure.  It wasn't so much hard for us... it was just the betrayal of it all.  More than anything, I felt like he sold us out.  I don't know what I ever did to him.  I barely even saw the man... but there we were, basically being told that we were being auctioned off into a human cattle ranch or something."

Jana's next inquiry threw Sera for a loop.  The blonde headed girl raised her eyebrows quizzically as she looked the redhead up and down.  In some way, Sera couldn't help but pity Jana just a little bit as she asked the question.  Maybe it was because at that moment, Sera realized just how clueless the other girl was to what was going on around her.

"It's been four days..." Sera choked out quietly, "Almost five now.  Seems like at the last count, nearly fifty people had died.  I know that isn't the most lightening news, but it's sort of something you need to know.  Have you... been out all this time?  You're really lucky if you have... you're lucky you ever woke up."

She hadn't woken up during the first few moments of the game herself, but Sera really couldn't imagine having slept through days of the game.  What if the place had become a dangerzone?  Jana would've died in her sleep, never knowing what had happened.  What if someone had come along and shot her where she lay?  But maybe... that was better than living through the game.  Maybe the ones who got out early were the lucky ones.  After all, they didn't have to play.  They didn't have to witness all the horrors that Survival of the Fittest held for them.

"Maybe it would've been better if you hadn't," she voiced openly, "The same goes for me, I guess.  At least that way we wouldn't have had to live through this.  At first, I thought maybe this game would be different, and someone would come and save us.  I guess it's good to have false hope, it's just not very realistic in a situation like this.  These past four days have been awful."

She wasn't exaggerating there.  Even for Sera, this game had been horrible.  Sure, she had overexaggerated a large portion of her time on the island to Jana.  Still, she had been shot after getting caught in the crossfire between Adam and Brandon.  She had woken up to the sight of Wanda Lovett's headless corpse.  It hadn't been all unicorns and butterflies on Sera's end, even if it hadn't been quite as horrible as she made it out to be.

"So... this probably isn't a good thing to bring up, but what're we gonna do?  We can't just stay here forever... well, we could, at least until it became a dangerzone... but I don't know if it's a good idea.  It's hard to think logically in a situation like this, but I don't have to tell you that.  I had intended on finding my friends, but now I'm asking myself why.  I still want to, but... I dunno, the clock is ticking and I feel like it's hopeless."

Find the Sisterhood.  That had been her primary goal throughout the game.  And then what?  Unite and take on the evil forces of Mr. Danya?  Puh-lease.  That wasn't even feasible.  Survive to the bitter end together, then murder one another in cold blood?  Perhaps that was the best option, as morbid as it seemed.  After all, all social cliques, deep down, consist of people that are insanely jealous of one another.  There's always backstabbing, lying, deceit.  It probably wouldn't be as difficult to murder one of her "best friends" as it seemed.  Still, she probably shouldn't dwell on it.  It wasn't getting her anywhere fast.
Cyco†

Post by Cyco† »

"Four days?" she whispered, unsure of whether she'd heard Sera correctly or not. And fifty people dead. It was such deeply shocking and disturbing news that Jana felt a little faint, and she shut her eyes for a moment to make the rush of blood in her head go away. Suddenly the vague possibility of finding her elder brother had become no more likely than Slayer giving baby_g a big hug.

"...you're lucky you ever woke up," Sera added.

'Lucky me.'

If there was any ounce of comfort to be taken from it, five days and fifty deaths meant less competition. Then again, these remaining students would be 'the fittest' as it were; the most aggressive, or clever, likely well-armed players. Her chances of survival were really no better, perhaps worse, than if she'd woken up four days ago.

"Maybe it would've been better if you hadn't," said the blonde girl, and Jana found herself in agreement. Unfortunately, she also found herself quite afraid of the grim spectre of death now that she had in fact woken up and had some miniscule say in her fate.

Sera referred to the idea of their rescue as false hope, and Jana was reminded of her mother. Back when she was alive. When she was diagnosed with cancer. She remembered, right up until the day of her passing Jana had prayed every night that God would perform a miracle ("just this once," she'd said) and take her mothers illness away. Had that been false hope, too? She'd told her father about her request to the man upstairs on one occasion, asking him if it could indeed come true.

"I don't know, honey...God works in mysterious ways. Whatever happens, he'll take good care of mom. He'll take good care of this family. I promise, ok?"

Half-a-year later when Mrs Brown passed away, she'd gone from being angry at God to dismissing his existence altogether. It had been so hard getting through the next year without her, and with just Mr Brown's income to rely on, that she thought she'd never be happy again. She spent a lot of time in her room, attempting to sleep as long as possible; it was the only time she could escape from the harsh reality, and the only place where she could sometimes see her mother. Jana wanted to crawl into a dark place and sleep forever.

Her father was forced to work double shifts and hard overtime to make ends meet, and her brother would babysit her while he was at away at work. Eric had always been responsible and fairly mature for a young teenager, but Jana was surprised to see just how much his virtues developed during that time. He was strong, optimistic...resilient. Just like her dad was. And like her mother had been. She still remembered what he'd said that one time; she'd been in her room, she'd refused to eat. It was Eric's responsibility to look after her, and she figured he was just concerned about doing his job properly. He came in, and she told him to leave over and over again, even resorting to throwing small objects at him. But he stayed; he sat down beside her, and finally she brought herself to ask him why the fuck he cared. She became furious at him. She told him she'd never eat again. She told him that God didn't care. She told him that he didn't miss their mother at all, and he responded when she finally became short of breath.

"I do miss her. I miss her so much, but...I believe that mum's in heaven now," he'd said, his voice wavering a little and tears making their way down his cheeks. "She's safe. Forever. Nothing bad's ever going to happen to her again. Right now we need to have faith, and we need to take care of eachother. Mom wouldn't want us to just give up." Jana asked him to leave, and went to bed hungry.

Things got better. The church that the Browns attended held a fund-raiser to aid the family, Mr Brown worked hard enough to earn a raise, family and friends lent a hand any way they could. Jana's close friends had already sent flowers and did everything they could think of to support her from the very day she returned to school. The Brown family pulled through. Jana pulled through, even when it had seemed hopeless. Now, sitting there in the dark, rain pouring down in sheets outside, a corpse hanging lifelessly beside her on a rusty hook, Jana became determined not to give up until it was over. For herself, for Eric, for her father...and for her mother.

"Don't give up yet," she replied, feeling her spirits renewing a little and a hint of confidence in her own voice. "I'll help you look. My brother might be here too, so I've gotta try to find him."

'Gotta try.'
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Jana seemed almost shocked that the game had been going on for nearly five days now, and Sera couldn't help but cast her an odd look for her response.  Sera could definitely believe it had been four, nearly five long, miserable days in this place.  She had lived, breathed, and felt every single second of it, too.  She was tired of playing this game.  A small sigh escaped her lips at the thought of it.

Too bad this isn't like gym class or something.  At least there, you could fake an injury or forge a note to get out of playing the game.  "Dear Mr. Danya, please excuse Sera Wingfield from this round of Survival of the Fittest.  She is not feeling well."

Sera nearly snorted aloud at the thought of it.  If only something like that would actually work.  Sera was used to being able to wriggle her way out of situations she didn't want to be in.  With something like this, though, there was no escaping to be done.  That frank and brutal thought remained in her mind throughout Jana's "don't give up hope" speech.  Honestly, now.  Sera hid the light smile that crept across her face.  Nothing like dashing a little hope in the morning, right?

"I'm really sorry," she stated flatly, "But I gave up back when I got shot in the leg while two guys argued over which one wanted to fuck me first."

It was unclassy, crude, almost vile.  The statement, of course.  It wasn't something that should've come out of Sera Wingfield's mouth.  She wasn't the type of person to speak so openly of so crude a matter.  Riiight.  Still, it added the effect that she wanted.  The more she elaborated on her story, the more lifelike it seemed to become.  Sera was enjoying it a bit too much.

"Nobody saved the first group... what makes us any different?  I still want to find my friends, just like you want to find your brother, but what then?  We're just all gonna wait it out in a room together until we're the last ones left, then have a free-for-all killing spree and see which one of us is the lucky one?"

Then again, what if, by some stroke of luck, somebody did save them this time around?  It wasn't likely.  Sera wouldn't allow herself to believe it was likely.  In her mind, the only way to go home was to eliminate all the other competition.  That's what the last winner of the program had done.  That was the only way it could be done.  Sera honestly believed that.  That's why even though she was sitting next to this girl, spilling stories of hope and disappointment on a haybale, after it was all said and done, Jana Brown was just another competitor in the game.  Even if Jana helped her find the Sisterhood, or if she helped Jana find Eric, they'd all have to be eliminated, ultimately, for Sera to go back home.

"We should look for them anyway... my friends and your brother.  At least if we find them, we won't be alone.  Maybe all of us can think of something together."

Although Sera's friendliness toward the girl was all part of her "act", somewhere in the back of her mind, Sera's last comment was sincere.  Maybe some plan of action that she hadn't even thought of would come to her when she was around a big group of people.  But what if those people weren't looking for the same thing?  What if the remainder of the Sisterhood had an agenda that didn't include Sera Wingfield?  Still, these were her friends.  These were people she'd known for eons.  If there was any hope of escaping, it didn't matter who they had to use and step on to do it, the Sisterhood girls would be willing to do whatever it took to get out... right?
Cyco†

Post by Cyco† »

Sera's next words let the air out of Jana's big yellow hope balloon. Scratch that, they flat-out popped it. She wasn't any less convinced that she had the right idea, but it was dissappointing to see that her toe-headed companions fighting spirit had been so thoroughly crushed by the bad experiences.

'Uh...since you gave up, can I have your gun?' Jana didn't like having to pick her words so carefully. Back home in Denton she would often say whatever popped into her mind, and it would often yield a good laugh out of her friends. Here, it would probably get her shot.

"But--" Jana began, trying to formulate an argument, but she spoke too softly and was effectively drowned out. Sera pointed out that their chances of escape were just as pitiful as the last batch of students to grace SOTF, and that even if they did find who they were looking for it didn't change anyones fate the slightest bit. Both were very true, but Jana found her resolve unwaivering; if Eric was here, she would find him, and they would face this as a family.

Of course, unless Sera was so far gone that she would off herself there and then with the pistol, Jana suspected that since they were to be heading out anyway that it was suggested they would be searching. She was right on that one, as the blonde soon confirmed. Jana hoped that it was some small glint of optimism and not just straight-faced sarcasm when Sera added that they might be able to think of something.

"Eric's really smart," nodded Jana, trying to encourage the thought. "He'd be a big help. And I know him well enough...that I'm positive, he would never play this game."

Return to “Mountain Ranch”