Another Disappointment of Many

The gardens of the Peaceful Meadows Chapel used to be blooming with an abundance of plant life from many different flower beds, and while to some extent this is still the case, many other invasive species have moved in due to the absence of any maintenance. Many residents of the asylum were encouraged to help maintain the gardens as a form of therapy, but after the asylum's closure human influence has been completely absent. This has caused a dramatic build-up of tangled weeds throughout the beds of the gardens, with thick patches of nettles, thorns, and many other forms of plant life now encroaching upon the brick and dirt paths, cutting off some routes altogether. Despite all this however, the large willow tree from which the island gets its name still stands near the center of the garden, casting a large shadow over much of the area.
Espi

Post by Espi »

The bite looked like it was only getting worse, and Blair had no idea how to respond to it. This situation would've been laughable if it wasn't terrifying; all the fear of other humans, and a spider was the deadliest thing she'd encountered in 6 days.

Well, Nancy too. But Nancy hadn't actually killed any of them. The spider might very well do so.

Blair looked Rene in the eye. The other girl seemed just as scared, if not more so. Obviously, given she was the one with venom inside her. Blair took a deep breath.

"What do you want to do?" She said, in a small voice.
Aura

Post by Aura »

The situation was definitely not good. They were reduced to waiting to see if Rene died of a spider bite, with no option to prevent it if that was the case. Rene was wracking her brain prying to come up with something, occasionally being interrupted by surges of pain. No matter how much she tried to think it over, she couldn't come up with anything helpful.

... Well, there was one idea that she had, but she wasn't sure if Blair would like it too much.

"Hold on." She tried to assure Blair as she reached into her bag with her good hand. She rustled around until she felt a familiar metallic item on her fingers. "Hey I just wanna tell you that if I start to slip..." She took hold of it and pulled it out, revealing the gun. She held it by the barrel and extended the grip towards Blair.

"You know what I'm saying, right?"
Espi

Post by Espi »

Truth be told, Blair hadn't seen much of Rene's Smith and Wesson. She'd been aware it existed, of course, but it never seemed to come up. In a way, Blair was glad; it gave their time together a little bit of brevity. Only once had Blair felt truly in danger, and even then this pistol hadn't been taken from its bag.

She visibly took a sharp breath as Rene presented her assigned weapon. The implication was all too clear; a quick death rather than a slow one, a single shot instead of slow decay from venom. She considered asking Rene to do it herself, but chose not to; for one, it might prove impossible if the poison got too advanced, and for another, it seemed unfair. To force someone to commit suicide because you were unwilling to help them in that dark task.

She took the gun into her hand, and examined it. She knew how guns worked, at least on principle; it needed to be loaded, taken off of safety, and the trigger would be pulled. The firearm was heavy for its size, fitting for the task at hand. Blair couldn't help but find it curiously apt. Then again, it was made of metal, so of course it was heavy.

She looked Rene in the eye, and put her free hand on Rene's shoulder, comforting as much as she could. Blair nodded, slowly.

"Okay."
Aura

Post by Aura »

Rene nodded along with Blair. If nothing else, she was glad to see that they were in agreement.

"If you've gotta do it, then I want you to take my shit and run, all right?" She told her companion. "If it's not gonna be helping me, then I want it to keep you alive, all right?"

Her eyes fell to the ground for a moment as she considered the other reason she had for wanting Blair to do the deed. It was still for a good reason, but it sure would feel weird saying it out loud.

"Plus, they said you've gotta kill someone if you wanna get out, right?" She said in a softer tone, only just then reconnecting her eyes with Blair's. "If you take me out, then all you gotta do is stay alive from now on."

She winced as she felt another strong jolt of pain, this time making her arm twitch a bit. She wasn't sure whether it was a genuine muscle spasm or just a flinch, but either way it didn't give her confidence about her future.
Espi

Post by Espi »

"...If you want."

Truth be told, Blair hadn't even considered that. Selfishness could certainly have been a motive in this situation. She got a gun, a bag of supplies to make up for her dwindling food and water, and, of course, a kill to ensure her release should she be the final survivor.

But it hadn't really come up until Rene said it. Blair wondered if that spoke of her virtue, or her idiocy. Was it more important to be pragmatic, take advantage of the situation? Or be the right person, even if it made your life potentially shorter.

Well, gee, that was the whole point, now wasn't it? She hit it on the nose there, really. Survival or morality, what do you pick? What did she pick? Well?

Blair looked at Rene, solemn in expression. "Do we need like a signal? Like, a 'do it' sort of thing?" The gun was limp in her hand, arm hanging at her side. She didn't need it yet.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Rene shrugged. "Hell, I don't know. I guess that if I feel like I'm starting to go I'll just..." She waved her hand about in a nonspecific manner. "Maybe there can be a..."

She sighed. "Look, I haven't really thought it out. I never thought I would need to put a plan in place for something like this, you know?" Her eyes wandered around a bit while she tried to come up with a good plan for them to follow. When that failed, she just said the first thing that came to mind.

"Look, I'll just... I'll let you know, okay?"
Espi

Post by Espi »

Blair nodded. With nothing else in mind, this was what had to be done.

"I didn't either. But..." She looked down at the ground. "I guess I should say now, just in case, y'know...I guess it was fun. Not the island part, but..." She looked up at Rene. Forced a smile.

"I'm glad you found me and Noah, and stuck with us. You helped a lot. Thanks."
Aura

Post by Aura »

Rene smiled back. She had to force it a bit, since her hand still felt like it had been freshly dipped in acid, but she couldn't help but return the sentiment. "Hey, thanks. That means a lot."

She sat down on a big rock, not really sure what else to do. For now, she felt like all she could do was wait, hope for the best, and brace for the flash of hot lead that may very likely be in her future.
Espi

Post by Espi »

((Timeskip approved by Aura))

Time passed. Blair couldn't guess exactly how long, but it was probably around an hour or two.

It was hard for her, and probably worse for Rene. They sat around, making small talk, never really discussing much of anything. Watching Rene's condition deteriorate was incredibly stressful, and in the back of Blair's mind the question remained; could she do it?

The 'tagline' for SOTF only partly applied here; 'best friend' wasn't the word she'd use to describe Rene, not really. On the island, though, Rene was the person she'd been with the most, even more than Noah. They weren't friends before, but this whole situation changed that.

How ironic. A game made to destroy relationships could also forge new ones.

"How are you holding up?" Blair looked up from the seat she'd taken on a nearby bench. She was increasingly wary about the soil; given the spider that had caused all this, suffering the same fate would be incredibly unfortunate and also total bullshit. Rene didn't look so good, and Blair instinctively looked down at the Smith and Wesson she clutched at her side.
Aura

Post by Aura »

The last couple hours had not been kind to Rene. Her bite had worsened significantly, to the point that most of her palm had turned red and begin to swell. She couldn't curl her fingers anymore without feeling a shock all the way up her arm and down her back, so she mostly left that arm limp, moving it as little as possible.

These past few days with Blair had been the longest time she had ever spent with anyone outside of her own family, and for the most part, it had sucked. However, the only parts she could pick out that didn't suck had involved Blair and Noah. If they hadn't been around, then this whole ordeal would have been even more miserable than it already was. So really, she had them to thank for pretty much every even slightly positive emotion she had felt at any point during the past week.

She turned to Blair in response to her inquiry. "Oh, you know. I've been better." She grinned and laughed a bit, although her hearty chuckles had become a tired, wheezy guffaw at this point. She felt exhausted at this point, but didn't want to make Blair worry any more than she probably already was. Unfortunately, she had a pretty good feeling that she wasn't doing a particularly good job of acting. Looks like theater club experience couldn't overcome spider venom.

She felt a strong surge in her shoulder, causing her to visibly tense her arm and back for a good few seconds before relaxing once more. Those spasms had become more common and intense as time went on, and they were pretty impossible to hide by now. Once that incident cleared up, she tried to keep her conversation going, considering it was the closest thing to normalcy she could maintain.

"You holding up all right?"
Espi

Post by Espi »

With the swelling, muscle spasms, and the clear discomfort on Rene's face, Blair felt helpless. The best case scenario seemed like a rapidly diminishing possibility. She felt the metal of the gun, warmed by the heat of her hand, and squeezed it tightly, making sure not to touch the safety or the trigger.

"I'm okay...I guess." The pause was punctuated by a deep sigh. She looked at Rene again, before turning her head away to break down in a flurry of coughs. She'd been feeling somewhat better lately, and possibly the cool weather was helping, though rain sucked for her sinuses. At least she wasn't dying of natural causes.

That just made her grimace. She looked back at Rene afterwards. "I'm sorry."
Aura

Post by Aura »

Rene gingerly shifted her position as the laid in the garden, letting her head rest in the dirt. She wouldn't usually be comfortable with doing something so obviously filthy, but she had long since discovered that she was willing to compromise her idea of comfort when the situation demanded it. She felt her arm acting up again, trying her best to ignore it and inevitably failing when she felt it stiffen.

She nodded slowly in response to Blair's apology. "Don't worry about it." She paused and took a moment to catch her breath. "You didn't do anything. Thanks, though." Her eyes were starting to water. She wasn't sure whether it was from the pain or because she was getting emotional. She had experienced just about every emotional reaction aside from crying so far, so she couldn't count out that possibility.

Rene yawned. She was starting to feel really tired, probably a side effect of the venom. She blinked, letting a couple of tears break free and roll across her face. She could feel her eyes quickly getting heavier. Despite this, she still kept her eyes on Blair. She wanted to tell her friend something, let her know that she felt like resting her eyes, but her mouth felt like it was locked shut.

Her eyes closed, her pain faded, and Rene fell into a very deep sleep.
Espi

Post by Espi »

Rene kept talking for a little bit, but Blair watched her fading. She held her breath, desperate to say something, but her throat was tight with fear.

Then it happened. Rene laid down and closed her eyes. Blair's breathing was the only sound she could hear, that and the wind, and for a moment she thought Rene had just up and died right in front of her, leaving the whole thing out of Blair's hands. But no, she could see Rene's chest bobbing up and down, slowly and faintly. "Rene?" She said, softly. No answer.

She stood up. She gathered the remains of Rene's food and water, and meticulously packed it into her own bag. She had a fair bit of food and water remaining now. Blair also gathered the medical supplies and the small cartridge of unused ammo. She left Rene the map and compass, though. Small comfort.

She slung her now somewhat heavier bag over her shoulder, and turned to look at Rene's unconscious form. She switched the safety off with her thumb, fumbling the gun slightly in the process. She could leave, she considered. Let nature take its course. Keep her hands clean.

She took a knee next to her companion, feeling like she was wrapped in a corset that was strangling her, and pointed the firearm to Rene's head.

A loud crack of thunder echoed through the gardens. Then, a soft click as Blair set the safety back on, and then silence.

It only took a minute or so before the sound of sobbing was heard. After about ten minutes, it returned to silence as Blair left the garden.

((Blair Moore continued in I Will Not Bow))
Aura

Post by Aura »

When it ended, Rene Wolfe felt no pain.

G039: Rene Wolfe- Deceased
51 Students Remaining
Riki

Post by Riki »

The gunshot woke Johnny from his stupor.

He hadn't fallen asleep or any of that. Johnny had simply looked for a tree, sat down at it's roots and let time pass by. The few words the girls had to exchange weren't meant for him. None of their actions were meant for him. Whether Johnny were present or not, it would've made no difference.

So he become like the garden. Part of the background. Part of the scenery. It allowed him to watch. If he wanted. He didn't, though. His eyes rested on what the girls were doing - on Rene slowly dying - but even calling that process 'watching' implied a sort of agency which Johnny did not possess.

When Blaire left, Johnny moved again.

The pain in his hand had not subsided, though it had not gotten worse. He considered that a plus for the moment. As for Rene, Johnny gave her one last look. Then he decided that the place really sucked, and moved on.

[[Johnny McKay, continued elsewhere]]
Gervais Frans Lambotte 🎵 Blue Jeans and Bloody Tears 🎵 Martini-Henry Rifle MkIV Pattern
||Selection|Clicks|Lonely|
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
O B014 Joachim Lovelace - Ballistic Knife, MP 18, Obsidian Knife - "It doesn't matter. They lost, he lost, I'll lose. That's the nature of the game."
O G042 Aileen Aurora Abdallah - Pair of MMA Gloves, Golf Club & Table Leg -
B059 David Zimmer - Sabre -
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]

Return to “Crematorium Gardens”