Forlorn and Forgotten Knowledge

Evening, Day 3

Located down the hall from the cafeteria is the library, a large expansive room containing rows upon rows of bookshelves. The library was intended to be a solarium during the original construction of the building which became the asylum, but during the building process this was found to be unfeasible. A remnant of this intention persists, however, in the chamber's glass-domed roof. This quirk was appreciated by many of the doctors, who felt the natural light helped make the library feel lively as opposed to the more typical dingy nature of such rooms. As a result, the library became a favorite sport for many of the doctors and patients to relax, often at a couple of round coffee tables and solid oak chairs located near the entrance. There is a wide selection of books within the library, including classics from Shakespeare and Dickens to more contemporary books from the time such as Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Rings, although Lord of the Flies is notably absent.
Aura

Forlorn and Forgotten Knowledge

Post by Aura »

((Rene Wolfe continued from Let's Awaken, By the Day))

It had been a few hours since her terrifying encounter with Nancy at the shoreline, but Rene still felt shaken up about it. And really, considering that she had been shot at by someone who clearly had every intent to kill, she was pretty sure that she felt justified in not getting over it so quickly. When she was fleeing with Blair, she was looking over her shoulder at nearly every sound, whether it be in the depths of the jungle or in a wide open plain. She just didn't feel safe.

However, with the sun setting, she needed to find a decent shelter for the night, and she had a damn good feeling that Blair needed one too. Blair had been in a pretty bad way earlier that day, and Rene couldn't imagine that a mad dash across the island had done anything positive for her. So priority one was making sure that they could at least find a halfway-decent resting place for the night.

Enter the asylum. Rene hadn't been there since the first day, and the size of the building admittedly intimidated her. Who knows how many people had come up with the same idea and decided to spend the night there. Probably a few. But the opportunity was there, and Rene knew for a fact that there was some decent shelter inside from previous experience. She just needed to find a nice, empty room where they could rejuvenate themselves for another day of staying alive.

The library was empty, that was for sure. But nice? That may have been a stretch. The place was a mess, with broken furniture, toppled shelves, and books strewn about the floor. It didn't take a genius to figure out that they weren't the first people to find this place. Rene could only look out at the wrecked area in front of her with a shocked sense of awe. Was this place this much of a disaster when the got here, or had her classmates actually done this?

Trying to block the ugly image of the surrounding area from her mind, she sat down in one of the still-intact chairs, head in hand.

"Man, this is a fuckin' mess..."
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

((Caedyn Miller Continued From 血塗れ桜))

"Could use a little redecorating."

Caedyn had gotten into surprisingly little trouble lately. The whole encounter with Nancy had been a rush, but other than that things had managed to stay pretty low. Granted, she and Jazzy had some catching up to do, and that had taken up so much of their attention that she'd hardly noticed the day flying by.

She had a habit of doing that to her. Maybe that was why they worked. Most things, let alone most people, couldn't keep her attention for very long without a challenge, but Jazzy handled it somehow. It never seemed to bother her that Caedyn was a little all over the place, or if it did she kept quiet about it. There was something to be said for both options.

Lots of cuddling and a few swigs of Jane's whiskey later though, it was time to do a little exploring. And here was Rene, their resident geeky bit player. Caedyn was kinda of fond of her; she was quirky little background noise that added flavor here and there without overstaying her welcome. Honestly, it was kind of surprising she was still around here, but somebody had to get lucky. At least she was a nice little diversion to keep things entertaining for now.

She waved at her as she came down the stairs with a grin. "Heya Wolfie," she said as she gestured towards her with the bottle. "Care for a drink?"
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Aura

Post by Aura »

Well damn. Looks like the library wasn't so lonely after all. Caedyn was someone that Rene knew pretty well, if the definition of "pretty well" was expended to include people that she knew by proxy of the two of them being involved in the same extracurricular club. Actually, that might have been too harsh. Caedyn had always been pretty all right, at least as far as Rene was concerned. But then again, Rene probably would have said that Nancy had been pretty all right back at school too, and she knew how that went once they hit the island.

However, one thing that Caedyn had working in her favor at that moment was that she was offering a refreshing beverage rather than an injection of hot lead, so Rene was more willing to try to be friendly this time around. "Hey Caedyn. " She pointed at the bottle in the other girl's hand. "Nice. I guess someone around here had to raid the liquor cabinet, right?"

She laughed at her own joke. Not a big laugh, just a short, breathy chuckle. She was not in the right shape or mood for a full-bodied belly laugh at the moment. "Nah, I think I'm gonna pass, though. Got too much going on in my head right now to haze it out, y'know?"
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Caedyn couldn't keep herself from giggling. Rene was as cute as ever, and the booze probably didn't help keep them down. She cocked an eyebrow as she waltzed down into the library. "Honey, if you can come up with a better time to get hazy, I'm all ears." Best to keep things light and coy for now. Rene seemed a little distracted. Let's pick at that. "You expecting someone, or is this a solo study sesh?" she asked as she gestured towards the shelves. Keeping Rene on her toes could keep her from asking too many prying questions about who she was with or what she'd been up to, and she needed time to come up with a good excuse for...everything? Probably like, everything. That seemed like a good idea. The whiskey definitely agreed. It thought this was a very, very good plan that she should pursue immediately, and it hadn't led her wrong so far, right?
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Aura

Post by Aura »

"What?"  Rene was still a little out of it, so she seemed to be a bit surprised by Caedyn's prying.  "Yeah, I guess you could say I'm wating for someone.  I had this nice little group with me, but we lost each other this morning, so I guess I'm hiding out here and hoping that they'll find me again."

Hold on...

Rene's back stiffened, shooting her straight into perfect posture as she had a revelation.  If Caedyn had been outside, then maybe she had seen Blair or Noah somewhere.  Sure it was a long shot, but a minute chance at finding out where her friends had gone had to be better than no chance at all.  Still in her alerted state, she turned and looked up at the taller girl.

"Hey, while we're on the subject, have you seen Noah or Blair around?  Just wondering."
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Blair. Well wasn't that juicy. Honestly, she was kind of surprised the stuck-up bitch was still around what with...well, everything. Maybe she wasn't, if Rene hadn't seen her around. Couldn't have happened to a nicer little back-stabber, really. Still, it was best to keep that under wraps. Caedyn just shook her head. "Noooope, haven't seen anybody really. I mean, I was with..."

Her face dropped, and she looked at the ground. Shuffle your feet. Make a nice big gloomy show of it so everybody thinks you care. "I was with Oskar and Jane before...y'know..." Nice and vague. Keep 'em guessing. It wasn't just a show for Rene, people could see this, so she couldn't just lie unless she had to. But as long as she kept them guessing, there was a chance. Everything could go back to normal once everyone was dead, and she was just a victim of circumstances. So far, that'd been real easy. Why hadn't anyone thought of that before.

She glanced up at Rene after letting the words hang for a bit. "I've been hiding since that. I, I tried to talk him down, but he almost killed me too, and then he disappeared, so I think he might, might..." Caedyn swallowed hard and leaned up against the wall with tears in her eyes. "I don't want him to find me. I don't want him to find anyone. Why are they doing this, Wolfie?"

Aaaaand scene. Please, hold your autographs and applause until after the show, there's so much more to come.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
Aura

Post by Aura »

Oh shit. Rene had heard about what happened between Oskar and Jane. Granted, she didn't really have specific details on the event, but the announcements had given her enough of a framework to have the most basic understanding of what went down. Granted, the only thing that she actually knew was that Oskar killed Jane. But hey, since Caedyn knew what really went down, maybe she could fill in some of the blanks for her.

Wait, was she crying now? Oh crap, Rene didn't plan for this. She wasn't much of a comforter. Her first instinct was to try to lighten the mood with a joke, but this probably wasn't an appropriate route to go considering that, you know, people were dead. So new plan, talk about something else, but use a tangent so it isn't super-obvious that she's trying to change the subject.

"Damn, guess I'm not the only one out here with shit luck." She said, resting her elbow on the table and her cheek in her hand. "Everything seemed okay this morning until Nancy showed up and shot up our campsite. My group scattered and I lost track of them. It sucks."

Wait a minute, maybe shifting the discussion to her own problems wasn't the best move. She didn't realize this until after the words had already left her mouth, so she had to play it cool and act like she hadn't just possibly committed something of a faux pas.
Espi

Post by Espi »

((Blair Moore continued from What I Needed, They'll Pay))

You ever run into an old friend who you hate now? It's great, give it a try.

After returning to the shore, she'd waited around a bit, glad that no bodies were around, before moving on. She still wasn't sure if she could find her former companions, but it was worth a shot. Luckily, as she'd made her way down the beach for a few hours, trying to keep a sensible pace, she spotted a familiar figure entering the asylum across the bridge.

Now, Blair was stressed as fuck by the bridge, which was perfectly sensible in her mind. Luckily no bodies seemed to have manifested as she crossed, but she was making a lot of effort to avoid looking at the ground where corpses might show up.

Stay strong.

She hurried after Rene, too winded to call out for the other girl even as she followed her (friend? compatriot? ally?) into the entrance of the library, where she stopped, leaning against the outside of the door, her chest aching. There was a gross smell, too, which Blair would prefer not to acknowledge.

Oh, and right before she entered the room, she heard Caedyn Miller's voice. Fan-fucking-tastic. Caedyn and Blair...had a history. She didn't think Caedyn had come up on the announcements yet, but it didn't surprise Blair to think she'd been with Oskar Pearce, who had been. As a killer.

Blair contemplated her options. Show up and chase Caedyn off because screw that selfish, arrogant, psycho, and reunite with Rene. Or, she could wait around and see what happened.

No. Stupid idea. If Caedyn was armed, she might kill Rene, whose gun was probably still in her bag. Best to get Caedyn off-guard while she could.

"Hey." Blair said abruptly, stepping around the corner and standing next to Rene. "Glad I caught up to you." She looked at Caedyn condescendingly. "You playing nice? A bit late for that." Blair folded her arms and quieted her breathing, glaring at Caedyn with a furrowed brow.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Why was everything always so wonderful?

Wolfie was off balance, and then here came Blair, all bitch and fury. She was always like this, just acting however she wanted in the moment, like she couldn't give a single thought to the future. Well, she didn't have much of one to start with, so maybe that made sense. Still, she could make that work for her here.

"Hi Blair," she said sadly, "I'm glad you're okay..." Normally, she could bitch back as well as anybody could give, but that wasn't the game today. Just like she hadn't played that game with Jane. Neither of the could see that it was pointless to just fly off like that. As long as she played the whipped puppy routine, she could make Blair look like the dangerous one. "Wolfie told me about Nancy. She's gone though. Could you chill a little, please?"

It wasn't about their past. It was about Nancy. At least, that was the story Caedyn wanted to sell. Make Wolfie doubt her, maybe even make her doubt herself if things went well enough, and get them riled up about the competition.

Caedyn didn't need Oskar. She could bring this home all by herself.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
Aura

Post by Aura »

Seeing Blair again was a major relief. When Rene had gotten separated from her and Noah that morning, she had been sincerely afraid that she wouldn't see or heard from them again until one or both of them wound up on the announcements, provided that she even survived that long in the first place. But now the two of them were together again, like some sort of contrived scene in some movie that Rene would never personally watch because it was obviously created solely to win Oscar nominations.

"Hey Blair, good to see you back." She couldn't really help but drop a friendly greeting there. She knew that this was sheer luck, so she was going to make the best of it.

However, it wasn't long after her initial happy reaction that she started to get a less than comfortable feeling. Rene was not exactly what one would call a social expert, but she could sense some tension in the room once Blair and Caedyn started talking to each other. She didn't know if they had run into each other earlier, or if maybe there was some lingering resentment from school, but whatever it was, she really didn't want to have to deal with it. If she could somehow keep things from escalating, that would be ideal.

"So..." She held up both pointer fingers and alternated them between Blair and Caedyn. "I'm kinda getting the feeling that you two have met before. Am I wrong here?"

Man, I hope that wasn't the wrong move.
Espi

Post by Espi »

Luckily it seemed that Rene wasn't stupid enough to immediately trust Caedyn unconditionally. Knowing her, though, Caedyn was out to plant the seeds of malcontent amongst her classmates. Whether it was for kicks as usual or with a more evil motive in mind, Blair couldn't be sure. Still, she had an idea.

"You could say that." Blair looked at Caedyn, who was clearly trying to put up a sympathetic face. Blair remembered when Caedyn had played that card on her, trying to guilt her. She knew better now. Especially...

"Where'd that blood come from?" Blair examined Caedyn's dress from afar. It was stained with brown, and the smell of blood was lingering from it. Had someone attacked Caedyn? She didn't look injured. "What have you been up to these past few days?"

Blair cocked her head, an expression of mock inquisitiveness.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

The secret to a good lie was to wrap it up in truth, especially things people knew were true. It made the whole thing more believable. And a little lie like this? It'd be no harder to justify later than trying to soothe Oskar. It was what she had to do to keep from getting hurt. "Oskar killed Jane," she said softly. It'd already been all over the announcements. That wasn't the bombshell. She clutched the dress with crocodile tears in her eyes. "It's not mine...the blood, or the dress. After he shot her, he, he..." She paused for dramatic effect. Swallowed hard.

Oskar was a killer. Worse than that, he was vermin. She didn't need to protect his reputation. "He held the gun up to me, and made me change into her dress. I don't...he called me Jane a couple times, after that." Her eyes went to Blair, then Wolfie. "I think he snapped," she whimpered with a little crack in her voice, "like, like he didn't know who I was anymore, or he was trying to pretend it didn't happen or something."

With that, she looked back around the library with a deep breath. "I dunno. I snuck away while he was sleeping, and I've been hiding here 'cuz..." Caedyn let a shiver creep down her spine before staring at the door, and wrapping her arms around herself defensively.

Beat that, you snarky little shit.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
Aura

Post by Aura »

Shit.

Rene wasn't too sure what to expect out of Caedyn, but it sure as hell wasn't that.  She'd thought that she had been having a pretty crappy time of it, but it had to beat whatever fucked-up shit Caedyn had been dealing with.  Damn, now she was feeling bad.  And to think that things had actually been going pretty pleasantly up until now.

"Damn, I just..."  Rene couldn't really think of a response to that, because holy shit how are you supposed to respond to that, but she did her best.  "Sorry about that.  Guess now I know why you got the booze"

She attempted to recline in her chair, only to receive an immediate reminder that it was a hardback.  Instead, she placed her hands behind her head to give herself something slightly resembling comfort.  She glanced for a bit back at Blair, who still looked pretty quizzical about the whole situation.  Feeling a twinge of discomfort, she brought up a different, but still relevant line of conversation.

"So hey, since it's getting late, you think it would be fine if we crashed here?"  She raised her eyebrows, gave a hopeful grin, and jutted her thumb at the rather decrepit library behind her.
Espi

Post by Espi »

Damn. That was fucked up.

Not that Blair fully bought what Caedyn was saying. Lying was like, 95% of what Caedyn did. She was a manipulator, through and through, and Blair knew that all too well.

Context? They knew each other well. They used to be friends, actually. Then they'd had some sort of tiff, a little thing. Caedyn had retaliated by spreading a rumor about Blair, something about her getting it on with some sleaze who hated her. Two birds with one stone or something, but that didn't matter. They'd been enemies ever since.

So with this whole crazy-Oskar-thing, Blair knew that Oskar killed Jane. The announcement had confirmed it, as far as she recalled. But for all she knew, Caedyn was involved. She was a potential threat. But worse than that was that Caedyn knew Blair's weakness. So Caedyn was all too aware that Blair absolutely HATED being wrong. She was so rarely wrong, and being unable to prove her point pissed her off to no end.

Blair didn't know how to argue with Caedyn right now. She felt her face go red, because as much as she instinctively wanted to disbelieve anything Caedyn said, she couldn't prove that she had lied. Hell, if it wasn't CAEDYN, she wouldn't even be sure herself.

So she stood there, face heating up, anger welling in her chest. She looked Caedyn over with her eyes, as if trying to spy some flaw in her story manifest on her body. "Wait." Blair said slowly, grasping at straws to change the subject, lessen the impact.

"Where the hell did you get booze?" She tried to sound accusatory, but it didn't really work. "Ugh, never mind. I need some, at this point." After mumbling that last sentence, Blair folded her arms and looked Rene. "I don't wanna stay here. You can come with me or not, but I'm going to find somewhere else to sleep for the night."

With that. Blair shot one last glance at Caedyn and walked out the way she came in.

((Blair Moore continued in Creeping Doom))
Ciel

Post by Ciel »

(Jasmine Reed continued from 血塗れ桜.)

Jasmine let out a deep sigh of relief. Did Blair see her? Maybe not. Jasmine's shoulders were squeezed together and she shrank back to sitting against a bookshelf, tucking her out of sight. Wow, was that Blair? Blair Moore? She sounded really mad. Caedyn told her she was kind of... loose. They weren't friends, Kae and Blair. Or, at least, they weren't friends now. Same thing, as far as Jasmine was concerned.

There was this sense of deja vu or whatever. Libraries. Bad things happened to Jasmine in libraries. Caedyn told her she'd be looking around, an idea that Jasmine did not agree with but, hey, it's Kay. She'd be okay. The voice from  deeper inside the library sounded familiar, and Jasmine was going to come out from the furthest corner of the library. Until she heard a third voice, less distinct, not Caedyn's. It made her freeze up, hesitate. Whoever it was, they sounded preeeeetty mad at Caedyn. So Jasmine waited. Tried to keep out of sight.

The day was uneventful. She was just happy to see Caedyn again, quite frankly. Jasmine was so happy she almost forgot about the game entirely! Kay had some alcohol on her too, and they spent the better part of a hour or so taking swigs. She thought it was whiskey, though Jasmine wasn't too sure on that. Could have been rum or wine or whatever. Jasmine could not hold her drink, and even the minuscule amounts of whisky a giggling cuddling mess. Even then as she stood outside the library, Jazz's head felt light and her reactions dulled. The voice in her head told her that Caedyn was just buttering her up, getting under her skin, she'll drop you like a hot potato, but she ignored it. Kay would never do something like that. She was just... making conversation. Yeah. That's all it was.

Jasmine waited until Blair was out of the room to make her grand reveal. By grand reveal, she did not mean to stumble and nearly trip and fall on her face. She was still buzzed, and as she caught herself she giggled. Woow.

"Is she gone Kay?" Jasmine said, wiping the sweat from her forehead. "Gosh, I thought she was going to start shit."

Then she looked at Rene and smiled.

"H-Hey Rene. Long time no see."

Jasmine stumbled over her words like she stumbled over her shoelaces. It's been, what, like ten minutes? That's too much time spent not hanging off of Kay! She shuffled her feet, suddenly feeling awkward. She couldn't imagine why. There's nothing wrong going on, yanno? Here was Jasmine Reed, a known killer, just sorta hanging out. Like ya do.

"Sorry for creepin'," Jasmine said, "I was gonna say hello but then Blair came in." She paused, blinked. "Um, I wasn't really paying attention to what she was saying but she sounded mad."

Nothing wrong. Nope. No way.

Return to “The Asylum Library”