Prom Panic

Open RP

As one might imagine, the school's library is filled with, well, books. Tables and chairs are placed around the room in neat little groups, and everything always seems to be in its rightful place... perhaps because Mrs. Collins, the school's librarian, has horrible OCD.
Dropbear†

Prom Panic

Post by Dropbear† »

((Ben Powell continued from Could've Danced All Night))

ohgodfuckinghellWHY?!

Ben, to put it bluntly, was panicking. The library usually was helpful and calm. That's what he needed to be. Libraries are a source of knowledge and peace and... stuff.

Rotating his head, he breathed slowly, walking through the non-fiction section.

You can do this. Just do what you always do in these situations.

First, assess the situation. What is it?
That I haven't got a date for prom.

Licking his dry lips, his eyes ran through the multicoloured spines, all a blur.

Now, how do we fix this situation?

Ben knew the answer to that question. Just ask a girl. Any girl you know well and the problem will be solved. Or he could wait for a girl to ask him, but there is always a chance that that wouldn't happen. He needed to take the initiative.

His eyes settled on a light red book. How To Dance 101.

"Heh, never thought I'd need to learn to dance again."

He chuckled. It's all going to be OK. You can do this. Slowly, he walked to a desk and sat down.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dropbear. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Badb†

Post by Badb† »

((Urgh, Sorry for the kinda crappy post, It's midnight and I'm tired as hell, I'll fix it in the morning))

((Courtney Bradley, pre-game debut))

Courtney wasn't the most organised person in the world, by any stretch of the imagination. She'd always end up only starting huge projects at the last second, and rushing around everywhere to try and finish them in time.

Which brought her to where she currently was, rushing towards the library because of something or other she had to finish for English, the rucksack on her back rattling up and down, the clacking sound informing her that the Velcro on it had come loose.

Sprinting round a corner, almost running into someone, Courtney slowed down, calmly walking into the library, trying to fasten up the Velcro that had come loose.

"Ah, Bugger." Courtney said, as one of the Velcro pads on her bag fell to the floor. She crouched down, picked it up, and shoved it in her bag.

I'll fix it later.

Grabbing a book or two that she needed, Courtney sat down at one of the desks, took out a notepad, and started writing.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Badb.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

Taking a small stretch and arching his back, Ben looked over to the newcomer. He raised an eyebrow as her runner bag snapped and fell to the ground.

Courtney Bradley, queen of running.

In normal circumstances, Ben wouldn't think twice of her. Mainly because she was there for two seconds and then dashing off to some other place at school. It seemed almost unnatural to see Courtney sitting still.

Glancing back to his book, Ben quickly thought. Was he that desperate, talking to someone he only saw in the corridors every third day?

But then again, what harm is there in a chat? An innocent chat, just wondering what you doing. No harm in that. Worst that could happen is that she's too busy. You can do that.

Almost unconsciously, Ben put a scrap of paper into the page and snapped it shut. Walking over to the desk, he raised an eyebrow at the notepad. Gotta be casual.

"Hey Courtney. Whatcha doing?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dropbear. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Badb†

Post by Badb† »

Okay, gotta stay focused on the work, gotta stay focused on the wor-

"Hey Courtney. Whatcha doing?"

Damn.

Courtney looked round for the source of the mildly Australian sounding voice, quickly pinpointing it as Ben Powell, who... wasn't normally the person who popped up and talked to her.

wonder what he's asking about, maybe it's something like the-

Shit. The Prom.

"Ben Powell, right?" she asked, practically already knowing the answer. "Nothing much, really, just some stuff for English, due in Tomorrow."

Courtney looked at the book in his hand: How to Dance 101.

"Learning to dance?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Badb.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

Holding up the book and looking at the title, he gave a small smirk.

"Yeah, well, I did some ages ago, but I can't really remember anything from then, so..."

Ben trailed off. He could tell she was distracted by something. Perhaps he should go...

Oh for god's sake, just sit down already. She hasn't booted you yet, has she?

Licking his lips, he glanced around the room before taking a seat on the side of the table, staring at the notes on the desk.

"Yeah, I hate English. Never could get the words out correctly on paper. What's it on?" questioned Ben, nodding at the notepad.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

((Aileen Borden pre-game debut))

The front door of the library swiftly opened, as a pigtailed girl quietly entered.

Aileen Borden often spent her time here, reading anything that suited her fancy right then and there. One day she would be reading about astronomy, the next she would be learning about the life of Charles Dickens. She didn't remember everything she read, but she had learned a lot from her days reading.

Aileen moved towards the non-fiction area, to look for something new to read. After a few minutes, she searched through the biography section, and was annoyed when she saw a book about sewing right in between two books about the life of Abraham Lincoln.

Sighing, she went to place it where it belonged. Didn't people know where to put things in a library? She sometimes (very rarely, though) found books placed on the wrong shelf, presumably soon after students picked it up, read it, and decided not to check it out. Aileen sometimes felt sorry for the librarian after seeing such a case. After all, she would have to be the one to put it back, and she wouldn't be happy about it.

After putting the sewing book back in the arts and crafts section, she went to look at what she wanted to read today, eventually picking up a book about World War II. Having found something, she headed towards a chair, and promptly placed herself in it.

Aileen noticed that there seemed to be only three people present right now. There was herself, of course. The other two were a boy and girl, talking to one another. She wasn't sure if she knew their names, though. Aileen always had problems with remembering what people's names were, and sometimes, she didn't care.

The girl... okay, Aileen definitely didn't know her name. However, she did remember that she was the athletic type, and that she had a thing for running. As of this moment, she appeared to be working in her notebook, while talking to the male.

The boy's name was something like Ben... god, what was his last name? Powers? Powell? Howell? However, she did recall that he was Australian.

Eh, no matter. They probably thought her name was Allie Boredom, or something along those lines. Unless they talked to her, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Aileen flipped open the book, and stared at some of the old images of planes, soldiers, weaponry, and other things related to WWII.
Badb†

Post by Badb† »

((Sorry for the delay, I was in Wales, lamenting the lack of game stores.))

"Yeah, I hate English. Never could get the words out correctly on paper. What's it on?"

"Some bloody Jane Austin book" Courtney Replied, still finding it kind of odd that someone she barely knew would just come and strike up conversation in the library, unles-

He doesn't have a date for the prom? Courtney guessed, along with the fact that If she was right, neither of them had dates, and of course she was planning on going...

Alright, Courtney, play it cool. Don't push it, he'll think you're desperate.

But I am desperate!

Trying to keep the conversation going, Courtney noticed a pigtailed girl stroll in, walking past them, rearranging one of the books, grabbing a different book, and sitting at a desk away from them. Her name was Ellie? Ally? Aileen? Yeah, Aileen Boredom or something, She was another person that Courtney never really talked too.

Looking back down at her notes, Courtney realised she had just, whilst talking, subconciously scrawled what looked like an elephant over what little she had written down.

"Well, I guess I'll have to start over." she said, holding it up to Ben and frowning, not sure what reaction she'd get.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

Ben looked at the page with a straight face for a few seconds.

"Can't remember Jane Austin being an elephant."

Letting out a grin and a chuckle, he looked over to the other desk. A familiar looking girl in pigtails was reading... what was her name? Alison, that was it.
Jesus Christ, how many people DON'T I know in this school?

Looking back at the table, Ben absently looked at his book.

Come on, what are you doing? Talk about something! Anything! Talk about the weather... actually, don't talk about the weather...

"So, err... what's your plans for prom? Ya going?"

Oh, COME ON! THERE'S BETTER TOPICS THAN THAT!
Shut up, brain.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Aileen looked up from her book for a few seconds to see the runner girl holding up a piece of paper with a few notes and something that, from Aileen's exact position, looked... odd drawn on it.

Her eyebrow raised, she stared at it for a few seconds. Just... what was that? Hopefully, it was something school appropriate. She prayed to god that it was something that can be shown around at school. Otherwise, what if a teacher saw it, and then took it away-

Oh. Based on Ben's comment, it was an elephant. As in, the land mammal with a large trunk.

Aileen made a facial expression that looked as if she was holding back a laugh, complete with her hand covering her mouth. How silly of her to think that! She really needed to stop that sort of thought process, or else she might slip up someday.

By the look of things, they were discussing prom. Or, at least, Ben was asking about it. Aileen didn't know exactly what she was going to do for prom, herself, but she knew one thing: she was most likely going alone. After all, no one would ask her, and even if she managed a date, it would be most likely out of pity. Eh, no matter. She didn't even see why it was so necessary at times. She could have fun without making it a date, right?

One thing she did need, though, was a dress.

After school, she made a mental note to herself. If I forget, it's my fault.

Nodding to herself, and trying to make sure she would remember, Aileen flipped the page, humming what sounded suspiciously like "Spice Up Your Life", without realizing it.
Badb†

Post by Badb† »

"Can't remember Jane Austin being an elephant."

"Y'know" Courtney said laughing, and looking at the paper. "Neither can I."

Courtney put the notebook back down and flipped the page over, continuing what she was doing before on the fresh page, taking extra care not to lapse into drawing any animals this time.

She looked back at the pigtailed girl, trying to remember her name, and saw that she appeared to be holding back a laugh, presumably after looking at the notebook. Courtney really didn't get what was so funny about a picture of an elephant.

I guess... she didn't think that was an elephant, th-?

...OH Now I get it.

Courtney chuckled to herself, realising the connection of a head on picture of an elephant and... what that girl was thinking of, before putting her pen to the paper and actually attempting to get some work done.

"So, err... what's your plans for prom? Ya going?"

"I haven't... really thought about it." Courtney said, turning to Ben, but still focusing on her writing. "I haven't got anything planned really, but I think I'm going."

Ok, just play it cool, let him ask firs-

"I don't have anyone to go with, though."

Subtlety definitely wasn't Courtney's strong point.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

"I don't have anyone to go with, though."

Well. That was... to the point

Ben looked down at his book for a few seconds, a fierce argument going on inside his head.

Mate, she hasn't got a date! Come on!
What, now? I don't even know her!
Yes you do, you've seen her in the school for three years.
Oh yeah, and name one time that we talked.

Shut up, Ben, and do it. You are doing yourselves both a favour. Hell, nobody really said you needed a date, but it'll be fun, and you'll be able to find out about this dashing young woman in front of you. And if you don't have fun, well, that's the risk, isn't it? It's a small chance that you'll have to take. Your best case scenario is that you make a great new friend.

"...really? Sure you got nothin' planned?"

STOP STALLING!!!
You stop bugging me. I wanna make sure she has nothing planned. A Scout is considerate, remember?
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Aileen stopped humming, and peered up from her book once more, to see the two others still talking.

Huh. It would seem that the girl had no plans, either. Though, for some reason Ben looked a little... shy. Raising her eyebrow again, she flipped through the book once more, and placed her head down.

What was he so nervous about? Is talking about the prom really that horrifying? After all, it wasn't as if they were talking about some horror from another dimension that drove him insane just from looking at it. It was just a high school prom, with dancing, music, and dates, right?

Perhaps he wanted to ask the other girl out? That might be it. Or perhaps he didn't have plans either, and felt bad about the fact, not wishing to tell others that?

Was it even her business to be questioning all this? After all, she barely knew the guy. Sometimes, people needed privacy, and sometimes it wasn't a good idea to eavesdrop.

Rearranging her glasses for a few seconds, she stared at a paragraph about how Germany invaded Poland in 1939. After a few seconds, she raised her head once more, looking at the clock on the wall.

Upon realizing the time, she closed the book with a loud thud, and got out of her seat to put it back. Once she placed the book in its proper place, she made a mental note of what the title was, and where exactly she found it.

Heading towards the exit, she turned her head towards the two, and actually spoke for once.

"Alright, I'm going now. I have things to do elsewhere. You two... have fun drawing animals, or... whatever that was."

Aileen made the same facial expression as before, at the memory of thinking that the elephant was something else. Placing her hand against her mouth again to prevent herself from laughing, she placed her left hand on the door's handle.

Sure... sometimes my fellow high school students annoy me, but moments like this? They kind of make me feel happy. Don't know why, she thought as she slowly opened the door, stepping outside.

((Aileen Borden continued in Shopper's Hell))
Badb†

Post by Badb† »

((Firefox Deleted Post ;~; ))

"...really? Sure you got nothin' planned?"

"Well," Courtney said, smiling and chuckling a bit. "That is what I said."

Courtney carried on writing, occasionally stopping to scribble on a seperate page, as her pen seemed to be running out of ink. She flipped over another page, and found a drawing she'd done a few years back, and noted that she'd probably picked up the wrong notebook.

Courtney heard a loud thud, and turned around to see Aileen whatever-it-was take a rather hefty looking book back to where she got it from.

She's going? She only just got here...

Courtney got back to writing, and sighed as her pen finally gave up, retrieving another one from her bag. While she was doing this, Aileen Borodon (was that it?) must've been walking to the exit, and turned her head to her and Ben.

"Alright, I'm going now. I have things to do elsewhere. You two... have fun drawing animals, or... whatever that was."

Wait, What?

Courtney got the new pen, checking it was working (her pens had a tendency to "explode" in her bag) and turned to Ben.

"Wait" Courtney said, turning to see Aileen walk out. "Has she been staring at us the whole time she was in here?"
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

Ben tried to keep a blank face as Courtney answered. "Well, that is what I said."

There you go. She's free.
Wait, lemmie think for a few seconds.
You are thinking, I'm your brain.

Having a sudden desire to have a brain transplant, he tried to read, if you can count reading as glazing over the same line three times already and having your mind on something else entirely. Finally flicking over the page, Ben jerked up at the thud of who he thought was Alison, putting her book back on the shelf. Watching her pass their table, he heard her yell out.

"Wait. Has she been staring at us the whole time she was in here?"

Ben looked back at Courtney, grinning.

"To be frank, there's not much else to stare at... although I don't want to know what she thought that was."

He let out a small chuckle. Running his tongue over his teeth, he slowly opened his mouth, then shut it again. The next few lines could make or break this... whatever it was.

What was he panicking about?

"You doing anything after school?"

Oh, right. Prom.
Badb†

Post by Badb† »

"To be frank, there's not much else to stare at... although I don't want to know what she thought that was."

"Well, I have a few ideas but I doubt you'd like to hear 'em" Courtney said, placing her bag back on the ground. "...Actually, can we drop this whole Elephant topic? It's starting to get disturbing."

Courtney flipped over another page on her notebook, finding it covered in doodles. The other pages were much the same. The notebook was a write-off.

God, that was a horrible pun.

"You doing anything after school?"

Courtney broke out of her bad pun induced focus and turned back to face Ben.

"Actually, I'm not." She said, putting her notebook back in her broken bag. "Why?"

Return to “Library”