Just Another Night

Open

Wanna roleplay out those big events? House parties, football games, wrestling matches, and even prom can all be found right here! Feel free to post your own events, and make sure to jump into others as well!
MurderWeasel

Just Another Night

Post by MurderWeasel »

((Jennifer Perez continued from Anniversary Party))

It was late, far later than Jennifer was used to being out, far later than she would normally have been out without a good reason. Tonight, though, something had just called to her. It was Friday night, sometime around eleven, and she was sitting on a picnic bench in a small urban park, leaning back, looking up at the sky, letting the world move past her. Peace. It was something in such short supply these days, something she so rarely got a chance to just bask in.

The past few days had been a whirlwind of activity: Jennifer had had that run in with Maf at the mall; spent two lunches trying to soothe the victims of a sophomore love triangle, one which had gone terribly wrong and left everyone hurt; failed the history test she should have been studying for during those lunches, leaving her grade in serious trouble; tried to avoid her mother and her brother, who had been fighting nonstop, arguing about grades and behavior and money and homework and everything else that came up. She had been ready to explode from the stress of it all, ready to just give up and let her life fall to pieces, ready to sit back and do nothing and just hope she had enough credits to sweep her to graduation, ready to let her friends and family tear apart their relationships without entertaining the slightest thought of helping them.

Of course, that hadn't happened. Realistically, it never could have happened. Jennifer could push things to the back of her mind and ignore them, but she could never stop caring. She could never give up on a situation without hating herself a little for it.

Now, though, none of that mattered. Now she was alone, staring through the smog and artificial lights and clouds and pretending she could see the stars. She took a deep breath, enjoying the smell of the park, the slight taste of freshly-cut grass on the air. When it all came down to it, no trouble was so big that a little time alone didn't make it better.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

((Ben Powell continued from Strike))

Entering the park with a grin on his face, Ben lightly tapped the metal sign about the park, taking off the blue and yellow scout scarf around his neck and stretching in his badge-covered kakhi shirt. Everything seemed to be falling into place for once. Fencing well: check, actually handing in schoolwork: check, helping out and having fun at Vent's: check, a date for prom: check. Yes, everything was going according to plan.

Pulling himself up the kids playground stairs, he chuckled. How long was it until prom? Hell, how long until exams, the senior trip and then graduation? And then what? It was hard to believe that in a few short months that everything was about to change forever. He'd be going into collage or working, or doing something other than wake up every weekday at 7pm to learn about the world.

A bit scary, don't you think? You'll be going out into the real world.
Yeah, but I'll be ready. I'll grab my foil, point it at the world and say 'Bring it'... There's probably a book like that.
Probably. Maybe we'll write a book in the future or something. Captain Ben, feared pirate of the seven seas!

He laughed as he pushed himself down the slide, landing on the barkchip and looking around. Nothing much here for a park, a few benches and dining tables scattered around on the thin grass. The park was empty, save for him and what looked like a girl on the furthermost table, gazing into the sky. Getting back up and brushing a stray bit of wood off his pants, he walked over, realizing that it was Jennifer from school. To his memory, they hadn't talked much, although she was in Psychology.

Bet you can't talk to her.
What do you think I'm doing right now? I'll have that five dollars now, thankyou very much.
Five imaginary fun bucks being sent to your account as we speak.

"Hey. What's up?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dropbear. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

The male voice came from somewhere out of her field of vision, asking what she was doing and how she was in the same short query. For just a second, Jennifer tensed, nervous, wondering who could possibly be with her in the park at this time of night, but then she relaxed. If it was someone with some nefarious purpose, he wouldn't have called out to her. Besides, the voice didn't sound dangerous or ominous or anything. It was vaguely familiar.

She turned, slowly, and saw Ben approaching. She knew of him from school; she even thought they had a class together. She was just too relaxed to bother puzzling out which at the moment.

"Nothing much," she replied, hoping she didn't sound like she was brushing him off, "just enjoying the night.

"Um, how about you?"

She reflected for a second on how odd it was to see Ben outside of the context of school. Most of her classmates were just faces to her, occasionally with names and behaviors tied to them. She knew how they presented themselves at Bayview, but nobody at school was ever really their genuine self. Everyone was too busy acting cool or playing a role they'd been pigeonholed into by their friends. No one ever just let go and acted naturally.

You're no exception to that, you know.

She didn't really mind, though. After all, why should it matter if people didn't act like themselves? If it worked for them and everyone else, that was all that was important.
TheLeakyFaucet†

Post by TheLeakyFaucet† »

((Debut of Dorothy Stoeber))

The bluish cell phone light lit up the park dimly. The girl clicking the buttons was dazed and confused – the guilty parties inside her body being both alcohol and assortment of sugary foods laid out at that party – but being the twenty-first century teenager she was, her text-speak was still as mangled and readable as it needed to be.

Dory Stoeber wasn't really sure if she was drunk or not. She'd drank a lot, sure, and she'd had a hell of a good time too, but reality was still around just as much as it always was. She just hadn't stomached down enough alcohol to get the full whiff of what it was like to be drunk. Yeah, that's right. She trudged into the park in an awkward side-step, only dimly aware of the possibility of a police officer finding her. Still, it's not like you're wasted. The worst they can do is send you down to the station. Then you can just call up daddy to take you home...

Dory scanned the message again on the glowing screen:

hey, whar ar u : D

It was from Angie Kewzer, one of her so-called, "friends". Conservative in her world view and meticulously clean, Dory sometimes pictured her friends in old-fashioned ball gowns, all of them prancing around an open dance floor like high-class ladies. Like high class socialites. Living and having fun was important, but at the same time, it was almost a must to be clean. To be proper. Dory couldn't stand it when she went to the city and had to sit next to a homeless bum on the train who hadn't showered in weeks. Those people were just repugnant.

Still, that little white lie about her friends was almost the polar opposite of the truth – her friends were idiots too, not much different from that subway hobo. They were all going to grow up and marry stupid people. Then they'd have stupid children and go on being stupid. Still, you gotta watch out. Go with the flow. Be clean. You got to keep them in line...

She texted back:

"Just got back from Schrader's party. Hell of a good time. Walking home. Way too tired to deal with any more of this shit. Kisses! : D"

Dory made sure her grammar was perfect. That way she could feel like she was above her stupid friends. She pictured herself treading water – you could pretend to be like everyone else, but in the real world, you could rise up and show them all you went business; or at least that was her philosophy. Trudging through the moonlit park, she caught notice of two people in the park. A boy and a girl. What are they doing out this late? Making out? Nah, it's just that Ben kid and that Perez girl. Still, the night's still young – and you're a socialite, after all. Gotta make the most of it...

"What are you two doing?" Dorothy Stoeber called rather loudly as she walked toward them.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler TheLeakyFaucet. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

"Nothing much."

Why is it that everyone says 'I'm doing nothing' when someone's asked them what they're doing?
Well, she isn't doing anything anyway. I mean, looking at the stars?
...well, why didn't she say she was looking at the stars? That's doing something.
Because it sounds like it came straight out of a crappy romantic teen novel!

Ben nodded slightly before answering back. "Oh, just walking home from Venturers. Taking apart couches with an axe has never been so much fun." He scratched his head while chuckling.

"Nice ev- GHA!"
"What are you two doing?"

Ben yelped out loud, turning around and almost falling over at the surprise of Dorothy onto the scene. Grabbing hold of the the table, he quickly regained his posture and laughed. "You almost gave me a heart attack..."

OK, why did you scream like a girl?
Because she scared me!
...she scared you. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. No more horror movies for you this week.

Doing a lazy two finger salute to the figure coming up, he gave a nod. "Well, I was walking home from Venturers, and... apparently she's doing nothing. Ummm... Dorothy, right? I'm horrible with names, sorry."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dropbear. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Ben started explaining his evening's activities, which apparently involved destroying old sofas. Jennifer smiled slightly. Bayview was a public high school, a place where individuality went to die, but her classmates constantly surprised her, bucking trends and social expectations and finding ways to be more interesting. It was something she wished she was strong enough to do.

Ben started to say something as someone else spoke, causing Jennifer to jump and Ben to scream. That was not what she had been expecting. The new person was another girl from Bayview, one whose name Jennifer had on the tip of her tongue but could not quite conjure. Fortunately, Ben quickly supplied it, after a brief complaint. A brief complaint and a fairly bizarre and awkward comment about Jennifer's activities.

Wait, what the fuck? I can speak for myself.

She nearly said something, but then just took a little breath. It didn't matter. There was no point worrying. Ben was probably just trying to cover up his earlier antics. He was probably horrifically embarrassed. Jennifer would have been, in his shoes. Fortunately, she had never been the sort to scream when surprised. Gasps, yes, but never anything like what Ben had done.

"I'm, um, justing enjoying the, um, night," Jennifer said, realizing that the term "evening" didn't really apply any more.

"Um, what brings you here Dorothy?"

That was the right track. People usually inquired about others because they wanted to be asked about themselves. Most people loved talking about themselves, and Jennifer didn't mind furnishing them with opportunities. Most people were really quite interesting when she got to know them.
TheLeakyFaucet†

Dory smirked at the way the guy jumped. She'd frightened him like a little scaredy-cat. Giggling and still utterly unsure if she was drunk or not, she didn't really listen to his apology for freaking out (that is, if he apologized at all). He seemed a bit awkward to Dory and, from that moment, she decided that she didn't like him very much. And neither would any of her friends, for that matter. We know who to hang out with. High school's hard, but you gotta know your crowd. And if you know it well enough, you can keep them all flowing steady.

Then she heard the kid ask her name:

"Heh, guess I scared you", Dory giggled. "Yep, my name's Dorothy Stoeber. Call me Dory".

She glanced up at the stars over the park. When she was little - and slightly more unaware that life was a constant struggle - she'd named the stars with her dad. That had been when Thurston Stoeber hadn't been a workaholic who spent very little time with his daughter throughout a whole month. He was always shuffling from business meeting to business meeting. But that's fine. Your friends can be like your family. Even if they're all stupid...

Um, what brings you here, Dorothy?

So the girl had something to say after all. Ecstatic that the topic was now about her, she smiled in a kind of obscene delight at Jennifer and Ben.

"Well I'm coming back from a party", Dory giggled. "Hah, everyone was so wasted. I mean, I don't know if you guys were there. I mean, only certain people were invited and the list was pretty tight. But I just decided to walk through the park. It's nice here at night".
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler TheLeakyFaucet. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

"Call me Dory."
"What, like the fish?"

Inside his head Ben mentally kicked himself. Could he not talk to another human being without screwing something up or saying something stupid?
Nope.
Shut up, brain.

Trying not to strangle himself, he leaned onto the table, trying to keep a neutral face. Listening to what Dory said, it seemed like he had found out what that doof-doof music from down the street was for: partying. And hard, from the look of it.

"I mean, I don't know if you guys were there. I mean, only certain people were invited and the list was pretty tight."

Ben couldn't help but roll his eyes. The last time he had got invited to a party was... well, never, if you didn't count that Christmas party last year. That being said, it didn't seem like the kind of party he would even go near. The first and last time he had tried a beer, he threw it up almost immediately on his cousin's lap, who had promptly slapped him. Plus his parents would kill him anyway if he came home even remotely drunk.

And anyway, he had Vents, right? It wasn't as if he would be able to go anyway...

"Whatever..."
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Dorothy explained where she was coming from: some sort of crazy party, where everyone had been drunk. Jennifer did not find that to be particularly encouraging news; "everyone" most likely included Dorothy herself. Jennifer could just imagine a scene between Dorothy and Ben brewing. Ben didn't exactly seem to be paying attention to what he was saying, making comments in questionable taste, and Dorothy seemed to be in the mood for some sort of conflict or gloating or something, given her insistence on sharing how "exclusive" the party had been. Ben in turn responded with a single word that could mean just about anything, which was never a good way to deal with strangers who might be looking for a reason to be upset.

Alright: think. Time for preemptive damage control. Fuck. This was supposed to be peaceful.

"Yeah, I, um, wasn't at the party," Jennifer said.

She wants to share, right? I can let her talk about the party, and maybe she'll ignore Ben. That'd make him happiest, right?

"How was it?"

She didn't really care, of course. Jennifer didn't really like parties much; they were almost invariably too much trouble. She only went when her friends dragged her, which was not all that frequently. One of the primary benefits of having a social circle made up primarily of underclassmen was that they were never able to get into too much trouble. It was far harder for a 15 year old to manage to get hold of a keg than for an 18 year old to perform the same feat.
TheLeakyFaucet†

"What, like the fish?"

Dory sort of stood there in confusion for a second, unsure of whether to take it as a joke or an insult. Who wasn't to say this guy wasn't making fun of her behind her back? Maybe the chick was in on it too? Shaking the thought away – and more and more frightened of the omnipresent people in her life turning on her every second – she gave a kind of half-smile and said:

"Yeah, like the fish, I guess".

As a force of habit, she pulled out her cell phone at the minute and flipped through it casually, pretending she was doing something when she really wasn't. It gave her a strong sense of purpose, and more than anything, maybe it would even impress the other kids. That would be great! I mean, they might not have been cool enough to be invited to Schrader's party, but that doesn't mean you can't have some more friends to say hi to in the hallway!

Then the girl said something:

Yeah, I, um, wasn't at the party. How was it?"

Dory grinned. This was a topic she could discuss in full detail. There were so many incidents in the party that stood out in full contrast to the other dull and unmemorable events in the façade of a life that Dorothy Stoeber lived. First there'd been that freshman who'd gotten his underwear flushed down the toilet; then there were those guys on the football team that ran around naked; then the piano that got smashed and the ceiling fan that had broken off its hinges when somebody through a golf ball at it. They were all stupid, but in all simplicity, Dory liked stupid people. They made her feel better about herself, and more than anything, they were entertaining and comparable to marionette puppets on strings. You could hang on the wayside and watch them, but at the same time, you had to keep that up on their strings. You have to keep control. Always do, always will....

"It was so good!" Dory said excitedly. "I mean, a lot of those people are really stupid. I just hang out with them because they're funny and they hook me up with booze. I mean, I'm much smarter than all of them, but I'm actually really, really nice when you get to know me!"

Then she paused, trying to think of what to say next. She didn't really want to tell them any stories about the party, after all. It would probably make them think she was as trashy as her stupid friends. Shaking the thought away, she said:

"So, are you guys geared up for prom?"
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

"It was so good! I mean, a lot of those people are really stupid. I just hang out with them because they're funny and they hook me up with booze. I mean, I'm much smarter than all of them, but I'm actually really, really nice when you get to know me!"

Ben put his palm into his face, shaking his head slowly. This was getting more awkward by the second. Who in their right mind would want to hang around someone just because they do stupid things? And then she says that she's nice- no, wait. Really, REALLY nice. What bullshit. Nice people don't laugh at people, they laugh with people. She was as stupid as the others.

"So, are you guys geared up for prom?"

Taking his hand off, he gave a small nod. "Yeah. Date, tux and tickets." Turning around to Jennifer, he raised an eyebrow as he scratched his head absent-mindedly. "I take it you're good as well?"
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Jennifer held her breath as she watched Ben's reaction to Dorothy's words. She could almost feel the tension as pressure building, inflating, ready to burst their calm little conversation. Then it diffused a little, with Dorothy's question about Prom. That was a good move on the girl's part; Prom was a safe topic that everyone was willing to talk about.

Ben explained that he was all ready, then turned the question over to Jennifer.

Fuck, I'm not ready at all. I've only got my dress half done, and what can I say about dates? That they're too much of a hassle? That it would be too awkward to ever ask anyone?

"I'm, um, sort of, um, I'm going to go," she said, "I'm working on the, um, dress thing. I don't have a date."

There. That was nice, simple, not controversial at all. They could read whatever they wanted into it, or take it at face value.

"And you, Dorothy?" she asked, hoping to turn the attention off herself. Dorothy had asked about Prom in the first place, after all; she had to have something to say on the subject.
TheLeakyFaucet†

"Yeah. Date, tux and tickets."

So Ben was going to prom. That was good – not even just good, but almost required of a high school student in the twenty-first century. Dory was a firm believer in sticking to the status quo, and as far as she was concerned, not going to prom was essentially turning around and pissing on everything that being a teenager had to offer; those four years of high school were an experience like no other – a mystical time that only came when you were growing up and free to explore the world – and it couldn't be wasted by sitting at home while the rest of the school partied the night away. Not at all. If you really looked at it, high school was an insightful time where a girl could delve into things that would distill and wither away as she became a woman: in Dory's mind, things like sex; things like hanging out with your friends; things like dating just for the sake of it and sipping lukewarm beer at parties with stupid people. Not going to prom was pretty much labeling yourself as a social outcast – a person who stood against the crowd for no good reason other than garnering for sympathy.

"Take a look at yourself though", Dory thought. "You don't have date either".

Then Jennifer said:

"I'm, um, sort of, um, I'm going to go. I'm working on the, um, dress thing. I don't have a date. And you, Dorothy?"

"I'm going", Dory replied. "But I don't have a date yet either. I mean, like, at least not right now. I'm looking for the right guy to come along, y'know?" Then she paused. "Oh, yeah, and my dress is all picked out! it's soooo pretty. If you're looking for a nice one, I'd go to that place by the Varsity. You can get them really nice".

She let the words hang there and analyzed them. She was a little afraid she'd judged the two of them – or worse, maybe they even thought she was stupid like her friends. The least she could do was try to be a little friendly. Ending the comment with a smile, Dory gave sort of a cynical lugh as she looked up wistfully at the stars over the park.

"I just can't wait to get prom and graduation over with so I can get out of this stupid town", Dory said.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

"I'm, um, sort of, um, I'm going to go, I'm working on the, um, dress thing. I don't have a date."

Nervous a little?
Shut up, brain. We were in that position how long ago, exactly?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, the most we know about being social is sticking a sword up people's-
Don't finish that line, please.

Giving a small shrug, he sighed. "Hey, it's OK. Still got plenty of time."

Dory seemed to be in the same position, although it didn't look like she had the nerves. "I'm looking for the right guy to come along, y'know?"

Ahh, how cute. I think I'm going to throw up.
Don't. And can we cut the sarcasm for five minutes?

"I just can't wait to get prom and graduation over with so I can get out of this stupid town"

Raising an eyebrow quizzivly, Ben questioned Dory. "Hey, what's with the rush? Sure this place isn't the biggest, but it's not the stupidest."
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Dorthy said that she, like Jennifer, still lacked a date, and Ben consoled her, telling her she had plenty of time. Jennifer nodded and smiled, and didn't say that she wasn't really looking. She continued to smile as Dorothy advised her on dress stores, knowing it was advice she would never use. That was alright, though. She didn't need to explain things to these two; after all, they probably weren't really that interested in her issues anyways.

Then Dorothy said that she couldn't wait to get out of Saint Paul, and Ben jumped to the city's defense, and once again Jennifer was afraid the tension was about to spike.

"I, um, I know how you both feel," she said, trying to diffuse the situation, "I like Saint Paul, but sometimes I just want to spread my wings a little, and see some more of the world. It's no good never knowing anything new, right?"

Hopefully that would calm things down a little. Jennifer exhaled slightly, leaned back a little to look at the stars again, and frowned. What time was it? Probably pretty late, no, later than pretty late; it had been pretty late when she'd set out. By now, for all she knew, it could technically be tomorrow. Her mom probably wouldn't worry if she hadn't been gone too long, but she still didn't want to cause any problems.

"Um, I'm really sorry," she said, standing up, "but I should probably be going soon. I, uh, think I'm a little, um, late."

She still stood there, though, hoping that her impending exit wouldn't offend anyone. The last thing she needed was to escalate the situation.

Return to “Events”