A Trip to the Lake

Happens the summer before senior year

Events and happenings began influencing who our characters are long before the SOTF ACT was even a glimmer in someone's eye. Have an interesting memory of your character's to share? Want to show the world why they are the way they are? Even if you just want to establish why they like comic books, this is the place to do it!
Arscapi†

A Trip to the Lake

Post by Arscapi† »

Alex shifted gears effortlessly as the street opened up. Finally, she thought pressing her foot down. Driving was always something that she enjoyed, but driving in the big city was trying at the best of times. Alex fought to keep her excitement under control; it wouldn't do at all to get a ticket the first time her parents had trusted her to drive farther than the mall. The beautiful summer weather wasn't helping Alex in the least and she pressed her foot down a little harder, creeping slightly over the speed limit. Her hair, pulled back in a ponytail, was whipped by the wind coming through the open window.

She glanced over to the radio and made a face as it went to commercial. She hated commercials, and though she loved her '64 Mustang the one thing it lacked was anything more than a radio. Keeping her eyes on the road she began to flip through her presets absently.

"I love this song," she cried and spun the volume knob. She unashamedly, began to sing along. "Open your eyes, look up to the sky and see."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Arscapi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Ethan closed the door to his house and stepped out of the air conditioned comfort of his home into the warm, balmy summer air. With a sigh he lifted up his black duffle bag and walked out to the curb. After walking about 20 feet down his drive way he let the bag drop next to his mail box and sat next to it. Ethan pushed his hair back away from his face and wiped his forehead with his hand. Hearing an approaching car, he lifted his head and pushed his glasses up on the bridge of his nose.

He gave another sigh and pushed up on his knees into a standing position. Ethan leaned against the mail box, smirked and stuck his thumb out, swinging it back and forth in the direction the Mustang seemed to be heading.
Little Boy†

Post by Little Boy† »

Roland Harte sat in the back of the '64 Mustang, running his hand absentmindedly through his greasy black hair. It was hot out, too hot out for Roland's liking and it looked like it was set to remain that way. His only respite would be finally exiting the cramped car when they'd reach the lake and it seemed woefully far away at present.

For the life of him he had no idea why he'd chosen to wear Jeans and a Hoodie. Did he expect Summer not to be hot all the sudden? It was a momentary lapse in judgment and he was paying dearly for it now, squished in the back of Alex's car. At least he'd thought ahead enough to bring a change of clothes.

He stared out the window as the vehicle pulled up to the curb, a boy around his age stood with a black duffle bag his hand extended. He recalled Alex mentioning inviting others to the Lake, but Roland figured that meant they would meet them there. He didn't relish the idea of sharing a long car ride with some guy he'd never met. At least he was tall, that was a potential conversation point, however pitiful it was.

He silently cursed Alex for not informing him more about the other guests, but he couldn't blame her really. Roland didn't find some of Alex's friends the easiest to get along with. She'd probably refrained from mentioning them to make sure he was 100% committed to the trip. Kind of silly, Roland thought. There wasn't a chance in hell he'd back out. There was rumored to be some nice trails up near the lake and he was eager to see for himself. With any luck he'd find himself a potential rock climbing spot, or something along those lines.

He cocked his head and sighed in mock exasperation as Alex began to cheerfully sing along to Queen. He liked Alex, but her singing voice was... passable at best.

"It's gonna be a long car ride isn't it?" He said jokingly, running his hand through his hair.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Little Boy. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

Alex brought the car to a smooth stop in front of Ethan's house. She waved at him and motioned for him to get into the car, offering him a wide smile. A whole duffle bag, have these two never been to the lake before? I have one packing for an entire week and one who somehow forgot it's summer time. Alex glanced down at her shorts and cover-up and shrugged.

"It's gonna be a long car ride isn't it?" Roland said jokingly from the back seat.

Alex shifted slightly in her seat so that she could look at him. "Not really, we live in the land of 10,000 lakes. 'Course you might be more comfortable if you took off the hoodie and got into the spirit of things," she joked and then picked up the melody as if she'd never stopped. "Easy come, easy go. Little high, little low."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Arscapi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Ethan walked around to the back of the car, opened the trunk and tossed his bag in. He walked back around to the passenger's side and opened the door. Ethan leaned in with both hands holding on to the top of the car frame and returned Alex's smile.

"What up, karaoke queen? Thanks for stopping. For a minute there I thought I was gonna have to start showing some leg to get picked up."

He threw himself haphazardly into the front passenger's seat and tugged the door closed behind him. In the front seat he tried to arrange his long legs in such a way so that they compacted comfortably in the space he had available.

"How's my favorite girl?"

He pushed his soft hair back off of his forehead again and reached around to fasten his seatbelt.

"It's hotter than a fat girl in a sleeping bag out here. Mind if I crack the window?" he asked. For the first time he seemed to acknowledge the boy sitting in the back.

"Oh hey. How's it going?" he asked while rolling the window down,
Little Boy†

Post by Little Boy† »

Roland didn't know the boys' name, but at least they had found common ground quickly enough. The tall brown haired boy casually climbed into the vehicle and rolled down the window. As Roland felt the cool breeze air out the back of the car he breathed a sigh of relief.

Looks like I've just made a new friend.

"Oh hey. How's it going?" The boy said casually when he first noticed Roland in the back. Roland adjusted his glasses and gave a small wave back to him.

He seems nice enough. I guess I spoke or well, thought too soon. This car ride could be enjoyable after all.

"Hey man, nice to meet you. Name's Roland." He replied. He hoped the kid would take this chance to introduce himself, Roland didn't want to have to keep calling him by some dumb nickname the entire trip.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Little Boy. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

"What up, karaoke queen? Thanks for stopping. For a minute there I thought I was gonna have to start showing some leg to get picked up."

"Now that would have been worth seeing," Alex teased as Ethan threw himself into the car. "Maybe that should be your payment for a ride home. Although I'd settle for a king to share my karaoke kingdom with."

"How's my favorite girl?"

"I'm good," she said beaming at him. "I'm excited about this trip, it's the first time my parents have let me drive somewhere totally on my own. Usually I have to at least bring Roman along," she answered. "What's with the duffle bag? How much stuff did you bring?"

Alex waited until Ethan had gotten settled with his seatbelt on, and the window rolled down. Then checked her mirrors, flipped on her indicator and pulled away from the curb slowly, repeating the maneuvers that had been drilled in her head over and over by her dad.

She smiled as the boys greeted each other and turned her attention back to the road and more importantly back to Queen. "Mama, just killed a man. Put a gun against his head," she sang softly, so the boys could talk.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Maybe that should be your payment for a ride home. Although I'd settle for a king to share my karaoke kingdom with."

Ethan frowned at the suggestion.

"Woah there, you know I'm not that kind of girl. Just what are you trying to pull?"

He settled in with his legs folded against the glove compartment and his arms under his head. Ethan closed his eyes and enjoyed the breeze, despite there not being much due to Alex's cautious driving. He chuckled a bit to himself.

"I will be king, and you, you will be queen. Though nothing will drive them away. We can beat them, just for one day. We can be heroes....of karaoke" he hummed mostly to himself. Realizing his tune was going against the prevalent one in the car he yawned and decided to synch up with the music.

"Mama!" he sang loudly, anticipating that Alex would finish off the lyric.

What's with the duffle bag? How much stuff did you bring?"

"I'm a civilized person. If I'm going somewhere that means I bring the civilization with me. I've got clothes and a laptop with a lithium battery in there. That's my baby. You don't leave a baby at home, do you?"

Ethan twisted around so that he was facing the backseat without removing his seat belt. He gave Ronald a short wave.

"Cool to meet you too. My name's Ethan. You excited for the lake, too?"
Little Boy†

Post by Little Boy† »

"Mama!" The boy bellowed out in the front seat. Roland grinned despite himself Alex and the boy made quite a duo and complimented each other quite nicely. He rolled his eyes in amusement and adjusted his legs, the last thing he wanted was to have his feet fall asleep. Roland hated that tingling feeling when his feet fell asleep.

Just as he had gotten all adjusted, Roland turned back to notice the boy staring at him.

"Cool to meet you too. My name's Ethan. You excited for the lake, too?" He said.

Roland smiled. "Oh most definitely, with any luck this'll end up being the highlight of my Summer."

He'd had a rather quiet summer so far, but with graduation rearing it's ugly head next year it felt like it was time to let his hair down. More or less. A relaxing trip to the lake with some buddies was just what he was looking for. He reclined the seat and let out a sigh of relief as the car sped up. As the cool air blasted him straight in the face, all previous thoughts of the car being like a sauna was forgotten.

"Ahhh so much better. Are we there yet?" He said.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

"I'm a civilized person. If I'm going somewhere that means I bring the civilization with me. I've got clothes and a laptop with a lithium battery in there. That's my baby. You don't leave a baby at home, do you?"

Alex tossed him an appalled look. "Laptop? I may have to take back your crown. There's way too much to do to waste time with a laptop." She was going to say more when Roland joined the conversation.

"Ahhh so much better. Are we there yet?" He said.

Alex rolled her eyes at Roland's question. I don't know do you see any water, was the first thought that popped into Alex's head. She bit back the reply. Seriously, they hadn't even finished picking everybody up yet and he was already starting. Maybe he was right and this would turn in to the longest trip ever.

"Actually we've got one more stop to make and then we'll finally be on our way. Jessica called me yesterday and said that she wanted to come. Once we pick her up we'll be on our way. You know what would make the time go faster," she said glancing behind her a wicked smile on her lips. She reached out and turned the radio up a little higher. "Mama, ooo, ooo, ooo, Didn't mean to make you cry. If I'm not back again this time tomorrow, carry on, carry on," she sang as she drove to Jessica's house.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Ethan gaped at her. "And leave Shirley all by herself in the cold, lonely house? No way. I may as well leave my inhaler at home."

At that, Ethan briefly patted his pocked to make sure he did in fact bring it with him. Yes, it was there. He occasionally forgot it at home but luckily he had never had an attack during those times.

"And screw you, you can't take my crown. I'm king. KING! But in any case, I promise I'll do nature stuff and swim. I wouldn't have agreed to come with if I didn't intend to get the full experience out of it. Speaking of which, there aren't bugs are there? "

In response to Roland's query, Ethan turned around to look sternly at the other boy. "Yes. We're here. Get out."

"Actually we've got one more stop to make and then we'll finally be on our way. Jessica called me yesterday and said that she wanted to come"

Ethan snapped back around and a smile crept on his face.

"Jessica," she said slowly. "Another lovely lady? Does she like guys who can build a trebuchet? You wanna put in a good word for me? You know, during girl time. All you have to do is talk me up, I'll do the rest," he pleaded. "Too late, my time has come. Sends shivers down my spine. Body's aching all the time," he sang along.
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Jessica was not the type of girl to go on trips. It wasn't in her nature to go out hanging out with a bunch of kids. So it was especially unusual for her to be going on this trip. She knew this too, felt it breathing on the back of her neck. However, one of her friends had asked her to come and in their long history she had never said no to Alex Jackson

She had known Alex since... gosh, since elementary. Alex was never the type of girl to open upto other girls, but she had taken a liking to Jessica. Perhaps it had something to do with Jessica being as unwomanly as her - she had been a pretty big tomboy when she was a kid. They were never best pals but they were friends, knew each other pretty well, and sat at the same table during Elementary and Middle School. Then it just all went away during high school. She never spoke to her again, not until the end of the school year. They had the same class but Jessica never went up to Alex. It had been Alex who made the first move. Alex invited Jessica on the trip to the lake with open arms. It was strange. None of her former friends really reached a hand out to talk to her and here was Alex trying to get Jessica to open up. Jessica was on the ropes when Alex had asked, just giving her an "I Don't Know".

Alex just grinned at her. "Hey, c'mon, it'll be fun. We've got a few boys coming along. I don't think you know any of them. It'll be really good for you. Trust me."

Jessica caved in. "O-Okay. How many people are coming?"

Alex told her four, but then she backtracked and said five people. She went onto ask whether she knew Cisco Vasquez. Jessica's heart sank.

Jessica thought for a moment. She wanted to say something along the lines of "You mean that creepy kid that looks like he's drunk all the time?" Instead she just muttered, "Y-Yeah, I know who he is."

So Cisco was going to be joining them too. He only lived about a block away from her so he was just going to wait with her. Great. Jessica really didn't have any personal problem with Cisco but one of her pet peeves was people who would say just about anything. Loudmouths, ramblers, though in Cisco's case she was more annoyed by the way he carried himself in the classroom. It just rubbed her the wrong way. So no, it wasn't going to stop her from going on the trip. It sure as hell bugged her that she was going to have to get cramped in the backseat of a four person car but it really wasn't that bad.

Jessica waited at her front porch, peaking around the tree on her lawn just to make sure the car didn't sneak up on her. She checked her watch. They were only a minute late, nothing too bad. She lived in a very normal culdesac, in a two-level home that gleamed like gold. It was nothing really special but Jessica liked to think it was perfect. It looked like a very nice house and Jessica felt very proud about it.

Jessica caught herself. She didn't know who was going on this trip, apart from Alex and Cisco. She never talked to people in school... would they think of her badly? Jessica certainly hoped that she didn't come off as pompous. Once she caught someone calling her a snob behind her back and it almost made her cry. Jessica wasn't self-centered, oh quite the opposite. Would they look at her house and think that she's a snob?

Oh god. She hadn't thought of that. Would they like her? Would they like her? Shit. Jessica was hyperventilating. Okay. Calm down. Calm down.

The car made it's way around the bend and there was no sign of Cisco, but Jessica had been so worried about how she looked that it didn't cross her mind. She could hear the music blaring from the car and it made Jessica wince. She didn't like music to be very loud. When in Rome, she supposed. She picked her tiny bag up, slinging it over her shoulder. She let out a deep sigh. The car pulled into the driveway and she smiled a tiny smile as she opened the door.

"Ah, um, h-hi." She said with a thousand butterflies in her chest. "H-Haven't seen Cisco at all, I don't know if he's coming."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Ciel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Little Boy†

Post by Little Boy† »

"Yes. We're here. Get out." Ethan said sharply.

Roland cocked his eyebrow as the boy spun about in his seat; his attention focused back towards Alex.

Well, that was sort of rude.

Roland looked out the window, trying his best to hide his annoyance from the others. It didn't seem like they were paying attention, Alex was informing Ethan about yet another addition to the trip. Someone named Jessica. She seemed familiar, but Roland couldn't recall where he'd heard that name so he blotted it out for the time being.

Maybe that was an attempt at a joke?

Even if it was a joke, it was a pretty unfunny one. And not one Roland would have made if he was the one meeting someone new. He'd stick to the "knock knock's" until he'd have a better grip on their sense of humor. That would have been the smart thing to do.

Ethan seemed to be yammering to Alex about this Jessica still, asking her to put in a good word for him. Was he still joking around? Roland didn't know, but even if he was Roland didn't think it was a very classy joke. What was the point of chasing after girls, talking behind backs begging for information? Soon enough someone would come to him.

He found that all his potential interest in befriending the boy had pretty much dried up at this point. It seemed like Roland had been a bit too fast to judge the boy after all, rather unfortunately.

God, sometimes you're kind of a dick like that...

The car sped along and Roland stayed silent, staring out the window. Eventually it stopped again, pulling up to the curb and Roland saw a girl approach them from the sidewalk. He suddenly remembered why he had found her so familiar, he'd taken English with Jessica one year (Grade 10 maybe?). She looked mostly the same, taller obviously, with the same pale brown hair that flowed down to her shoulders. She hadn't talked much from what Roland recalled and he had never really bothered to strike up a conversation. Perhaps now was the time, what with his enthusiasm for talking to Ethan dwindling so low.

She opened the car door and smiled a rather pretty smile, stuttering as she talked. She was kind of cute in an odd way... Roland sat up and moved his bag off the seat next to his, giving her some room to sit when she'd enter.

"Ah, um, h-hi. H-Haven't seen Cisco at all, I don't know if he's coming." she said.

What the hell kind of name is Cisco?
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

"Hey! Wait up!" came a voice from down the sidewalk. Although he'd only rounded the corner, the figure approaching the car apparently carrying a sporting backpack under his arms was, well, unmistakable. And apparently quite sober. It helped with running if his hand-eye-leg coordination worked every now and then.

If Roland Harte was bringing civilization, Cisco Vasquez was bringing the raw savagery. Along with the extra clothes, toiletries and other stuff needed for the trip stuffed into the backpack. Dressed in shorts, sandals and what looked to be some kind of bizarre tanktop that covered his neck and cut off just above the chest, the goalie was quite excited to be getting away from this town, if only for a daytrip.

Cisco was never particularly interested in cars. He never leaned toward either tree-hugger hatred or petrolhead obsession for them. But something about this car made him stop dead in his tracks. No, it didn't give off any sort of scary demon-car vibes from the horror movies. And Alex was someone he knew and didn't exactly distrust, although she looked ready to drive that car like a bat out of hell.

It was more that he was likely to end up squeezed into the backseat, which always made him a bit...squeamish. No, it wasn't anyone he'd be riding with. Jessica always seemed to keep to herself, Ethan was an over-allergic nerd and Roland, well, he was always uptight as usual. They were a cast straight out of a teen roadtrip movie. Or a horror movie, he thought, since we're all heading out into the forest.

In this case, it was always that little fear of a swift yet exceedingly painful and gruesome demise that always nagged him when getting into an enclosed moving vehicle. He'd gotten over most of this claustrophobia when it came to riding a more roomy vehicle like an SUV or school bus...but this was a car built that the back seats were really just for show. And from a time before Ralph Nader made safety features mandatory.

"We're...we're going in that?" Cisco asked, rather timidly. He looked anxious to go...as well as a bit concerned about the 'accomodations' in their mode of transport.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler laZardo. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

"Jessica," he said slowly. "Another lovely lady? Does she like guys who can build a trebuchet? You wanna put in a good word for me? You know, during girl time. All you have to do is talk me up, I'll do the rest," he pleaded. "Too late, my time has come. Sends shivers down my spine. Body's aching all the time," he sang along.

"You know I'd love to Ethan, but I can think of a couple of reasons why that's not gonna work. One you already agreed to be my king. Two Jessica's sweet and all, but she's way to shy for her own good. I've known her forever and I can barely get her to talk to me. Can you believe it?"

By then Alex had made followed the cul-de-sac around making a lazy U-turn.

"Ah, um, h-hi." She said with a thousand butterflies in her chest. "H-Haven't seen Cisco at all, I don't know if he's coming."

She offered Jessica a wide smile. "Hey Jess," she greeted her with a wave. "Well, we'll wait a sec or two more and if he's a no show then I guess it's his loss." She opened her door and slid out, after putting the car in park. She hit the small lever and reclined the seat. "Scoot over Roland," she ordered. "Make room."

She was about to put the seat back when she heard Cisco's voice. "Hey, Wait Up," he called. She turned around and waved at him as he came down the sidewalk. She shook her head at the backpack that he carried apparently stuffed to the brim. It's only a daytrip people. Alex took the opportunity to check out Cisco's outfit as he approached the car. She raised an eyebrow in amusement. It was definitely a style of some kind.

"Just in time," she said with a smile as he approached the car.

"We're...we're going in that?" Cisco asked, rather timidly.

The smile slipped from Alex face, replaced by an indignant expression. "What exactly is wrong with it," she asked.

Return to “Memories from the Past (V4)”