Jack Sparrow Irony

Standing tall on a rocky cliff just behind the warehouses, the lighthouse overlooks the entire island. Sparsely furnished, it doesn't offer much shelter for a student looking for comfort - but climb the spiral stairs to the top, and thanks to a telescope positioned next to the light one would be able to see all the way to the Key at the opposite side of the island.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

With a sigh, Sapphire opened up her bag and pulled out some of her own bread. She didn't really feel hungry for some reason.

OK, that was a lie. She knew the reason. This could be her last supper.

Sapphire screwed her eyes shut. Can't think like that! Gotta be strong. Gotta be strong. Exhaling noisily, she pulled apart the plastic and ripped off a chunk. It tasted bland, rough. Curling her nose in disgust, she swallowed it down, ripping off another chunk and tossing it to Sarah.

"I... I don't want any more."

Sighing, she looked at her stuff, biting her lip. She needed to get her mind off of all of this. It was all too much. Pulling out a few things, she saw her beading briefcase.

Screw it. She wasn't going to let all this material go to waste.

Zipping it open, she pulled out a bit of silver chain, starting to go to work, forgetting about the world.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dropbear. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
selphie_trabia†

Post by selphie_trabia† »

Sarah was calm now that she realised she was with friends, or at least with people who had never beaten her up or been mean or bitchy to her before. The prospect of sharing a meal with these girls appealed to her. She put her pathetic attempt at a cloth scabbard aside when the other two girls started digging into their bread. She pushed the weapon and the skirt behind her. A white item came flying at her. She caught it. Bread.

"Save this for yourself, Bead Girl. I don't know if we'll ever see food again and it looks like we'll be here a long time." Sarah said softly as she passed the bread back to Sapphire.

She said the name with no malice, just as if it were a real name, as if Sapphire's first name was Bead and her surname was Girl. Sarah opened her own daypack and rifled through it, eventually pulling out her own rations and... a booklet?

The meal was kind of quiet. Talking during mealtimes was a Tan family tradition. The more noise made at family gatherings, the better – it added to the festivities. The silence made Sarah uneasy. She glanced at Sapphire, watching her bead for a while, then at Stacy, who seemed to be drinking water. Sighing, Sarah took a bite out of her bread, choking it down dry. She glanced at the booklet's title, then read it aloud.

"Danya's Guide to Survival." She said through a mouth half-full of food, "Hm. Did you two get something like this too?"

Without waiting for an answer, Sarah began to read the book under her breath, her mouth forming the words that Danya had written. Occasionally, she vocalised parts of the book that she thought were fairly important.

"It says here that the collars are not removable and that we shouldn't touch them or they'll explode." She said, trying to sound lively despite the macabre subject matter.

It wasn't working very well.

"OH! Also, it says here that they'll explode if we go into a dead zone which will be announced every morning. I guess that's what the maps are for... to mark out the dead zones..." she continued, "I... I don't think we should stay in one place for very long... It says here that he'll turn places where we gather into dead zones... I guess we have to keep moving..."

Sarah looked up at the other two to gauge their reaction and find out what they would say to this. She wasn't sure if they'd be angry and come to think of it, she wasn't sure if they'd care. Who would care about what a crazy and stupid girl like her had to say? Sarah sighed and put the book down.

Suddenly hit by a wave of shyness, Sarah stuffed the rest of her bread in her mouth, chewing on it and swallowing it down. She turned from the other two girls and fiddled with the hem of her skirt, wrapping it over the sword on the floor, trying to figure out how to make it useful.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler selphie_trabia. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Stacy tore and nibbled at her own bread. It was terrible. For a moment she wondered if Danya didn't bake it all himself. That might explain why it tasted bad. She doubted it, but the image amused her enough that she actually laughed a little. Of course she wasn't really sure what Danya looked like. If he'd ever appeared on camera she'd missed it. She smiled at Sarah a little and listened to her read the survival guide. She chewed the bread and used her water to help lubricate it. For a moment she wondered if the crackers were better. She couldn't imagine them being any worse.

"Yeah. The collars explode. They're supposed to keep us in line. I guess they work well enough since people actually play this game." Stacy wrapped up her bread again. She couldn't make herself eat any more of it just now. The chocolate sounded better and better every moment.

"Forbidden zones. Yeah, they'll be announced in the morning I guess. But since we don't know where they'll be, we'll probably be able to stay here for a while. Which will be good. It will get insane out there pretty soon. The longer we stay here, the longer we can avoid our less sane classmates."

Stacy looked over at her bag and gave in. "I just remembered that I've got some chocolate in my bag. I got one of those big packs of little ones. It should be a little easier to eat than the bread." She laughed and opened her own bag, quickly finding the bag of sweets, and unexpectedly, a pack of playing cards. She'd forgotten about those. They were a souvenir set she'd gotten at a Twins game. She must have just tossed them in there as an afterthought.

"Found some cards too. Chocolate and cards. Sounds better than anything else on this island right?" She opened the bag and quickly laid claim to a Kit Kat. She opened it, broke the two fingers apart, and munched one happily.

"Ohmygodddd...these are my favorite." Stacy let out a contended sigh before eating the other one. Since there was nowhere else really, she tossed the wrapper on the floor.

"Eat as many as you like. I got the bag to share." She grabbed another for herself. This would probably be the most normal any of them would feel for a while. She was going to enjoy it as much as she could.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Zabriel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

Bead Girl. Sounded like some sort of superhero name. Sapphire gave a small smile of satisfaction as she slowly twisted the wire over a blood red bead. She liked that idea.

After a while, she put down the loop and started on another one, occasionally pulling out a tissue from her pocket and blowing her nose, or checking up on Mimi the electronic pet. For her first tamagotchi, she thought she was doing quite well. Finally she sighed and looked up to the other two, now discussing the survival booklet.

Giving a nod at Stacy, she spoke up. "I think we should stay in here. It's probably the best idea, plus... I don't know who we can trust if we go outside." Sapphire slowly went through the list of people she knew. The GODspeed club members would be OK, surely? And some of her customers, and the people that she went with to prom. They were nice, wern't they?

Smiling, she looked over at the bag of stored away sweets. Chocolate sounded much better than bread and crackers. "Thank you so much!" Leaning over, she took out a small Mars bar and slowly started to open and chew on it, giving a moan. It was true, chocolate made everything better. Swallowing, she gave an even larger smile at the deck of cards. "Oh, that sounds good. And the winner gets a nice bracelet from me!" With a grin, she held up the freshly made bracelet, round ruby crystals around it.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dropbear. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
selphie_trabia†

Should the bottom half of the skirt be placed underneath the cutlass? Perhaps if she twisted the skirt around it could form a sort of scabbard, with the skirt top being the hole for drawing the cutlass through. Sarah didn't think that the cutlass would cut the cloth of the skirt, but tested the cutting power of the cutlass with the fabric, drawing it across the sword to check. It wasn't particularly blunt, but it wasn't very sharp either. Sarah doubted that she could really do much with it. She was too weak to swing the sword through bone anyway. Small cuts, though, those would be okay. Still, it was scary enough, so she supposed it would do the job.

She listened to the others and picked another mars bar out of the pile of chocolates. Opening it up, she took a small bite, enjoying the cheap crumbly chocolate and the gooey caramel and nougat inside. She smiled, her mouth closed as she chewed thoughtfully, her mind still on the question of sheath-making. She folded the skirt around the weapon, then looped the skirt's drawstring around, pulling them so that they tightened as much as the fabric would allow. The resulting mass of fabric was still extremely loose around the sword's hilt, but if she sewed the end of the skirt shut and a little tight, she might have a sort of drawstring bag/quiver she could carry her sword and some rations around with. That seemed to be the best solution to her problem.

Sapphire's suggestion of playing cards pushed her from her thoughts. She turned to the other two. Were they really thinking of staying here? She chewed a little more.

"I have a project I need to do and I need both my hands for it, so I'll pass on the game..." she said, a rather blank expression on her face, "I will go out later. One of us has to."

Sarah pulled her sewing kit from the bag. The little kit wasn't really all that great, it was only for small repairs and things, but it had a small needle and it would do. She clicked her tongue in annoyance when she noticed that her sewing scissors and other cutting implements were missing.

"Can I borrow one of your thinner string things for beads?" Sarah asked, "One that's kinda thick but not so thick and kinda thin at the same time? Do you have a bead needle or something with a bigger eye than this?"

She held up her tiny needle.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler selphie_trabia. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Stacy nodded and smiled at Sarah. She had been a little confused when Sarah first took her skirt off, then she'd figured out what she was trying to do. Stacy hadn't even packed a skirt, opting for the comfortable and familiar denim jeans.

She took the cards from the pack and began to shuffle. "What do you want to play? I know Euchre, Bullshit, Hearts, Spades, Asshole...or we could play War. That'd be easy enough, especially since it's just the two of us." She nodded and started to split the deck into two piles.

"You know War right? We'll play for the whole deck I think."

After she'd finished dealing, Stacy found a bag of M&Ms in the bag and smiled. "Almost forgot the bag had M&Ms in it. She tore it open and popped a couple in her mouth. For at least a little while, she'd be able to forget.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Zabriel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

"I like the sound of War."

Giving a small grin, Sapphire slid over, adjusting her deep purple dress and grabbing a handful of colourful candy. She gave a quick search of her beading bag before taking out a slightly bigger needle with a better hole. Interestingly enough, the rest of her needles had disappeared, presumably taken by them. Clenching her jaw at that thought, she handed it over. She gave a mutter of "That should be better," before turning to Stacy.

As she started to play, her mind wandered. The cameras were watching them, wern't they? That's what he said to the class, don't... play with them, otherwise he'd activate the collar and... 'terminate' them. She gave a glace to the roof corner. Was her parents and sister at home, looking at the television and praying for her? Or maybe they hadn't heard yet, sleeping in their beds and dreaming. She looked into the cold glass of the lens again, staring intently at it, lost in thought.
selphie_trabia†

"Thanks bunches!" Sarah grinned as she recieved both needle and "thread".

The gypsy skirt's fabric was pretty light. Just sewing the hem up wouldn't work. With deft fingers, Sarah folded the skirt into fifths then sewed the bottom hem together so that the bottom of her makeshift sheath was now ten layers thick. Forcing the needle through the thick layers of cloth was difficult and Sarah pricked her fingers a few times, with audible squeaks of pain.

Sarah wouldn't normally have rushed such a delicate job and would certainly have taken pains to ensure that the final product had some quality. Just not today. For some reason, Sarah felt that time was against her. Her sense of urgency was almost suffocating. Her stitches were long, a lazy tailor's method but she tied a quick double knot at the end of every stitch to ensure that the whole piece of work wouldn't come apart so easily.

After four stitches, Sarah sucked her abused index finger as she pulled the map out of her bag and unfolded it, giving it a look over. Her eyes flicked over the closest landmarks. She'd thought about visiting the warehouses that Sapphire had mentioned earlier, but now that she could see the rest of the island, other places stood out to her as more important. She pulled a pen out from the inside of her shirt, clicked it open and drew circles around the infirmary, the residential area and the parish. Those were for today's travels.

The bread that they had wasn't going to last them a long time and definitely wouldn't last at all if she were to collect any allies. She'd probably have to bring a spare bag with her if she were to go collecting supplies as well. She'd hit the infirmary first, of course. The familiar was always better. Medicine was important, as were those prepackaged foods that she often found in clinics. Then maybe the residential area and then the church, if she had time. She might even find some matches in the residential area.

Sarah picked up the needle and continued to work as she planned her journey. Then, as the last stitch was placed through the skirt, she looked up at the other two girls.

"So uh... since you two seem comfy here, and it looks like nobody else will bother us for a while, so I thought... maybe I should go and get some supplies and stuff? And you two can protect this place..." she said as she bound off the stitch tightly, "I thought maybe I could leave my stuff here and go out... I'll come back with what I find before sundown, promise! I might even find some stuff that's useful for guarding the place too."
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Stacy grinned as a pair came up. She laid down her face-down cards and played. "Yes! King!" Sarah's words registered just before Sapphire played and she looked away, not seeing the cards. She thought for a moment and nodded. "We'll keep this place secure if you want to go out. My 'weapon' might not be too useful, but I can protect this place from anything short of a gun," Stacy thought for a moment before adding, "if it's supplies you're after, you'll probably want to take your bags, and anything you might need, just in case. Maybe just leave your food and clothes. You'll definitely need your map, and I think you'll want the first aid kit, just in case."

She stood up and walked over to Sarah, holding out her arms to hug her. Under most circumstances, it might be more than a little strange, but she'd seen this game before, and crazy things happened. Nobody could know anything for certain, and each time you parted ways with somebody, there was a chance that you'd never see them again. If Stacy didn't see Sarah again, she wanted her to know that this had meant something to her, even if it was silly and small, and for just a little while.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

"Blah, Ac- What?!"

Sapphire froze. Sarah was going to go outside? Quickly visions of lions, tigers and bears started to rip at Sarahs flesh in her minds eye.

"Y-you sure you want to go out? I mean... they could want to hurt you..."

Swallowing, she stood up, swaying a bit. No. It was her desision. And if she wanted to get supplies... who would stop her? Shaking her head, she smiled and walked over, about to hug Sarah as well. It was only fair. With a nod, she pulled out the bracelet she had made, the deep red crystal glistening in the sun.

"Hey, take this. Be sure to bring it back, OK?"
selphie_trabia†

Sarah accepted the hugs and the jewellery from the two other girls. She lingered a little in the hugs, they reminded her of home. Her Mom would hug her before she left for school every morning. Slowly, she brought her hands up and gave each girl a squeeze around the waist.

Sarah looked from Stacy to Sapphire, and nodded, knowing that the other two girls would be safer in the lighthouse than anywhere else. She pulled the bracelet onto her tiny wrist and fastened it. Afraid of losing the beautiful piece of jewellery, Sarah pushed it up her arm until it fit just above her elbow, more like an armring than a bracelet.

"I promise I'll be back by sundown or a little after. I'll definitely return the bracelet then." She said with a smile.

Taking Stacy's advice, Sarah emptied one of her bags of all but an extra bit of bread and a bottle of water. She slung her skirt-scabbard diagonally over her shoulder and across her torso, much like a quiver. The cutlass dangled limply from it, the hilt of the sword pointing roughly skywards. Sarah whispered a thankful prayer that the sword simply didn't cut through the skirt and fall to the ground again.

Smiling bravely and waving her goodbyes, Sarah opened the door and began to set out from the lighthouse. Just as she stepped through the door, she suddenly spun around, having one last thing to say.

"Oh, if I come back safe, I'll say I'm returning the bracelet. If I have someone who isn't a good person following me, I'll ask you to let me in." She said, "So, now you know to open or keep the door shut, okay?"

With that, Sarah strode out of the lighthouse, shutting the door behind her.

((Sarah Tan continued in Twists and Turns))
GregTheAnti-Viking†

Post by GregTheAnti-Viking† »

((Morgan Leftowitz continued from The One Who Got Us Out...))

Morgan and Jen had traveled as fast as they could and for the most part, they had maintained silence when doing so. They would talk as much as they wanted when they got to lighthouse. The climb up the hill was surprisingly steep and Morgan was getting more and more uncomfortable as he continued on. He was by no means an athlete, and as the midday sun beat down upon him, the fact that he was still in inappropriate clothing was very apparent to him.

Morgan was able to find sweet relief at the top of the hill in which the first thing he did was drop his bag and rifle through it to find refreshment in the form of a water bottle! He wiped the sweat from his hands onto his long sleeve shirt and unscrewed the cap taking five long swigs of water before breathing a huge sigh.

"Alright," he said in between breaths, "Looks like we made it..."

He took a moment to gaze up at the structure before him. It was an old thing, made of what looked to be concrete or some sort of stone, the paint had been mostly worn away and there were big grey patches amongst the white paint. Up at the top was a glass cylinder where the beacon was, he couldn't see if the lamp was still there, but it didn't hurt to look when they got inside.

"Ok..." Morgan said, wiping more sweat away from his brow, "So...the plan I guess, is to get in there and uh...get up...I suppose..."

He then saw as a girl with a sword that was kept inside a bag came out of the door, Morgan did his best to hide in a small thicket, silently urging Jen over to where he was. He watched as the girl turned back on them and said something that Morgan couldn't hear and then as she ran off down towards the warehouse.

"Uh oh..." Morgan mumbled, as he went back from cover into the clearing, "She was definitely talking with someone over there...When we get to the door, I'm just going to open it enough to call out to them...Hopefully they'll let us in...Alright?"

Morgan took a deep breath in, put on a brave face and slung the bag back over his shoulder. He began to move his way over to the door. He winced in pain as his sweat soaked jeans were starting to rub his skin the wrong way.

I bet I'm getting a rash too...fucking hell...

He made it to the door and placed a hand on the handle.

"Well," he whispered, "Here goes nothing..."

He opened the door a crack, just enough to carry his voice inside.

"Hello...Is anyone there?"

((Any GMing that may have been done here has been looked at and approved by Killer_Moth))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler GregTheAnti-Viking. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Killer_Moth†

Post by Killer_Moth† »

((Jen Romita cont'd from The One Who Got Us Out))

Jen had followed Morgan meekly for the entire trip, keeping quiet. He hadn't deigned to start a conversation, and she wasn't going to bother him. After all, what was there to talk about? Most of it was going through her own head, and he wouldn't have any more information than she did. She thought about the rest of the class. People like Geoffrey, or Eva. People she had liked, loved, hated, slept with, spoken to, ignored. Kids who were out there right now, fighting, killing dying.

She counted herself lucky in that she had so far only run into one person, her best friend. She offered a silent prayer to the heavens. She had never been a regular church goer, despite being raised Catholic, but right now she would take all the help she could get. What was the saying? 'There are no atheists in foxholes?'

The lighthouse loomed before them, and she stopped beside Morgan. He was drinking thirstily from his water supply, some of the liquid spilling from his lips, onto his shirt. Damn, what was it about this that made him so sexy right now. She'd already stripped down to a t-shirt in the heat, and he was still in formal wear.

The lighthouse was bigger than she expected. As they got closer, she saw a figure leaving it. Sarah Tan. Not somebody she'd been close to, but she wasn't aware of any grudge she might have had either. At least she was leaving.

"Uh oh.. she was definitely talking with someone over there...When we get to the door, I'm just going to open it enough to call out to them...Hopefully they'll let us in...Alright?"

It made sense. Morgan's plan was good enough that of course others would have the sane plan. And if a few were hiding out inside, then they didn't want to barge in and be ambushed. Still, she couldn't help but say "Be careful." It was cliche, but she meant it.

She watched him climb the steps to the door, biting her lip as he called out to whoever was waiting inside.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Killer_Moth. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Not long after Sarah had left them, they had visitors. Neither of the girls had a real weapon, so if something were to happen, it was left to Stacy to handle things unarmed. She felt pretty confident in her skills, unless of course she had to deal with guns. Then she might be fucked. However the person had called out and made his presence known. That was a good sign, or at least, not a bad one.

Stacy made her way to the door, unable to place the voice immediately. She might know the boy, maybe not though. It was a big class and it got hard to keep them all straight.

"Who's there?" Stacy demanded. She didn't really know what difference it made, she had no specific problems with any of her classmates, but it'd be nice to know who she was dealing with nonetheless.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

[[Sorry for the inactivity and the dangerzone stuff. Blah.]]

Sapphire McLeod was reorganizing her stuff for the tenth time before she heard the voice. A man's voice. A scary voice. And while on any other day she would try to face the person and be polite and all, this particular day there was a slightly higher chance that the person was going to kill them. Quickly, she glanced at Stacy. She didn't have anything to protect them with except for her bare hands, and while she was a good wrestler from what Sapphire had heard, there still was a doubt that it wouldn't be any good to someone with a gun.

To put it simply, she was panicking.

Looking around the room, she grabbed her bag. It was much lighter now, thanks to the fact that she had taken out all of her clothes to check. At least now she could carry it. With a quick "Sorry!", she ran past Stacy, ran towards the open window. With a jump and scramble, she rolled out, onto the grass with a muffled yelp and out the other side of the lighthouse into the wilderness of the island. Sapphire McLeod had fled, leaving nothing but a few shirts and a half completed azure bracelet.

((Sapphire McLeod continued in Sequoia Throne))

Return to “The Lighthouse”