Awe of She

Their last fleeting moments of privacy. (Private)

The logging road leading from the sawmill to the woods separates both halves of the felled forest. It shows a lot of recent use, with tracks from the logging trucks grooved into dirt. In the middle of the road is one of the logging trucks, still with its last load of cargo. The keys are nowhere to be found in or around the truck. Though it won't be moving, the truck provides the closest amount of cover for at least a mile radius.
GregTheAnti-Viking†

Post by GregTheAnti-Viking† »

Tabi grimaced at the response and turned back to the bridge. It wasn't that he wasn't listening to her, it was clear that he was. It was that he couldn't see it. Tabi had kept track. Every failure, every fault, every time that he had caught her when she fell. They were numerous and they had always lingered in her mind. Momentary pauses of love and devotion in sea of constant pain and mistakes. Ivan had turned away from them, ignored all the errors. But they were always there.

"The thing is Ivan. It's the truth. I've been little more than a damsel in distress. The princess locked up in the tower. Always needing to be rescued and placed out of harms way."

Tabi fully turned to look at Ivan. His back had been turned away from her. Was it due to modesty or the grim realization that what she had said had merit? She suspected that it was both. She shook her head and sighed. It looked as if he was ready for what minimal treatment she was able to offer him. It was better to be closer anyways, then he may start to listen.

"And yet I keep trying, Ivan. I keep trying to stand up and break free. I keep trying to prevent myself from having to be saved! But every single time..."

Tabi moved closer to Ivan until she was an arm's length away. The hand reached out to grab his good shoulder to turn him around, but it froze up before she could grab hold of him. It retreated, slinking back into the water.

"Clio. Nick. Imraan," she said her voice so low that it barely carried over the sound of the stream, "H-hell, I've had to be saved from the elements.

"No matter how much I say. I'm going to be stronger! I'm going to not put Ivan in danger because of how useless I am! I-I can't do it. I could have shot Imraan and stopped him from chasing us. I could have been more observant, watched for danger. I could have made that jump..."

Tabi took the bottle, her hand shaking erratically as it made its way to the open wound. She hesitated for a second, before a slow trickle flowed out of the mouth of the plastic container.

"In the end, this is all I can really do. I clean up the mess of my own mistakes. But. If I wasn't a damsel..."

I wouldn't have to.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler GregTheAnti-Viking. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

"Shut... up."

Ivan regretted that almost as soon as he had said it. He almost hadn't said it at all, but once the first word had been blurted out, he had no choice but to follow through. A trickle of water fell on the exposed wound on his right arm, but he hadn't paid much mind to it until he decided to use it as an excuse to why he shouldn't turn around. "And I didn't mean it like... like that," Ivan was quick to add. "You're not a damsel. Why do I have to-..."

Why do I have to keep saying this?

He had saved her loads of times, sure, but wasn't she seeing that she kept him alive? Regardless, no matter how hard he tried to drill it into her head, Tabi felt helpless. Like if she was a hanger-on, riding his coattails to the end of this hell they dared call a 'game'. She felt so strongly about her lack of contribution that it was almost as though she felt obligated to be at his beck and call. Tabi must have felt like... like...

Ivan bit at his cheek when he realized just why Tabi had demanded to see the wound. She had next to no energy left, was in dire neef of sleep and food, and probably on the brink of exhaustion, but she demanded with unprecedented force to take care of him. She would not take no for an answer. He previously wrote it off as her inherent kindness, some sort of demented form of generosity, but that wasn't the whole truth. Tabi needed to take care of him, or else she felt useless.

"... Tabi, is that why?" Ivan asked, a tiny bit of waver to his voice. "You really feel... you seriously feel like..."

How was he supposed to explain his own reasons for trying to take charge... to be the guy up front?"
GregTheAnti-Viking†

Tabi's hand faltered when Ivan responded. The bottle retracted, spilling a small amount of water onto the affected wound before it was plunged back into the water, bubbles surging up to the surface as it refilled itself. Tabi could only manage a wry smile and turn her face back to her reflection in the water. Ivan was being so nice to her right now. Far too nice in reality. In a way, it was cruel to state that she wasn't a burden on him. She had come to the conclusion, the grim truth, all on her own terms. Ivan just didn't listen to it when she spoke it.

In her peripheral vision she saw something in Ivan's reflection. He seemed to shift and his head was cast down deep in thought. There seemed to be a disturbing silence as he was contemplated. It took a painful amount of time, but soon Ivan's face seemed to catch on. Tabi fished the bottle back from the depths of the river and turned her back to Ivan. Relief washed down her bare skin and into her lungs. Understanding.

"... Tabi, is that why? You really feel... you seriously feel like..."

Tabi hummed, slowly backing up until her back touched his. His skin was soft against her's, odd for a man that was so stoic and take-charge. Her head tilted up, looking up at the blank sky above her. The endless blue was almost blinding, but it was probably best to look at that then at the radiant and honest blue eyes that Ivan had right now.

"C'mon Ivan. Let's face it. I know it. Everyone we've met on this island knows it.

"Hell," she scoffed, "I'm pretty sure almost everyone in the whole world knows it. I'm just this timid girl who's only alive because some blonde Russian has kept her alive. Even after she's given the others full opportunities to kill her. It's hilarious, really, how much she tries to put up a fight when in reality, she'll never be able to do it. That one kill with Clio? Totally an accident. If her hand didn't slip, it'd just be another notch in Clio's belt. You would have been too."

Tears were starting to stream down her cheek. The stupid sky was so blinding, why did it have to go and make her cry like this? She had promised herself that she wouldn't do this in front of Ivan now. No need to reinforce the point home to him. It was already too late now though.

"B-besides, you're the one that can do it all. You stare at the face of danger on my behalf and you win! No task is too great for Ivan Kuznetsov! Even coming to plate for that clutz Tabitha Anne Gweneth!"

Tabi could feel her voice carry louder, but she could care less about that now. It was oddly liberating to let out all of her faults out. Who cared how loud it was. In reality, only one person needed to hear it.

"Fighting the world while weighed down, that you can do. All I can do is bandage you up, pretend that amounts to you. I have to do it, or else..."

Tabi's head finally sunk down, she could bear the astral interrogation no more. Instead, she chose to look at that worn and tired looking mirror image. It felt no better to her, but the alternative was much worse.

"You're freakin' Superman Ivan. I'm just that crying bitch on the TV screen that slows you down. I'm so sorry. I really am useless."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler GregTheAnti-Viking. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

So they stood back to back in the river, two lovers with the cards stacked against them. If the circumstances allowed, Ivan would have only focused on the touch of the bare skin against his own. The only warmth protecting him from the frigid waters came from Tabi. How she protected him emotionally, giving him the strength to get up off his knees every time he was forced down on them. She was oblivious to all of that, and that was a far greater pain than the graze on his arm or the burning in his legs and lungs. She sang her dirge of doubt, and he not only had to hear it, but he had to feel it in the vibrations that carried through their backs.

Tabi's hair tickled the backside of his shoulders when she moved her head back. He tilted his own forward just an inch to accomodate for her somewhat, though their heads still touched. The feeling of something bumping up near their necks on occasion reminded Ivan of the presence of the collar strapped around his neck and its sibling which was around his girlfriend's. As far as the top halves of their bodies went, they were the only things they now wore. He wished he could capitalize on this knowledge, enjoy the opportunities that most guys would have in this situation, but he wasn't most guys. He and Tabi were slaves, pure and simple. That's what the collars represented to him; they were symbols of bondage, forced into a sick bloodsport for the apparent amusement of others. The collars could be nothing less degrading and disgusting than relics of slavery.

Ivan's own thoughts had begun to shake him, and his tremors grew in strength as Tabi voiced her own thoughts. She was falling into the trap their captors were laying for them all. She was becoming demoralized. She had decried herself as useless. What was more, Ivan was supposed to be her savior. He was supposed to be her Superman.

Superman could always whisk the girl to safety. Superman didn't fear for his life on a constant basis. The day would be saved when he descended from the sky, and once he appeared, there would be nothing to fear. That couldn't be how she really thought, was it? It was a lie, all of it. A dirty... no, a filthy lie. He could never live up to those kind of ideals when he was just a scared boy. On the island and even in his day to day life, he put on a strong face, surrounded himself in a palace of ice, and became Ivan Kuznetsov, the picture of strength. A girl who thought of herself as weak was the only one who could pick up that hammer and fell the palace. When the walls had come crumbling down, there was no warrior to be found amongst the wreckage. Nothing was left but the frightened tennis player, astrologist and rabbit breeder who had built it.

"B-Bullshit!"

Ivan's shaking was far more pronounced than the cold of any river could give him. His eyes shut as tight as they could, but they failed to stop the tears that spilled out. "Th-that's all..." he choked out, but like always, words had begun to fail him. Talking her out of it would never work, no matter how hard he tried. He didn't have that way with words, and he never had. The cold just grew, even if the wetness on his face was hot. There was nothing left... no resilience or strength. Ivan turned, and he sought it from the only place he thought he might be able to.

His arms wrapped around Tabi's shoulders, his arms locking just below her collarbone. His eyes had found their place in the crook of her neck, where the tears might spill with some preservation of the last shreds of his pride. He just couldn't muscle through the tears, not when every last inch of his being had been fighting for so long to keep up the facade. But now it was time to drop it all, and sob. If anything, it might show her something. Maybe Tabi would realize the truth, the true extent of his weakness.

"You're n-not..." Ivan finally murmured. His arms squeezed and sustained for a minute out of frustration, and the desire to be as close to her as possible. "You're everything... I can't." He found it within himself to stand up straight, sniffing back the tears so he could try and talk normally. "Why do you...", he started with a sharp breath. "D-don't you figure out I'm not... I need you. I do this for you... I couldn't keep going without you!" He pleaded partially with her, partially with himself. She needed to understand. She had to...

"That's why... why I refused the help. It's killing me that I can't do more. I need to do more. If anything happened to you, I'd..."

"God damn it... I love you..."
GregTheAnti-Viking†

Tabi's head rose up. There was a moment in which it seemed like Ivan was still stoically resisting her words. But the silence that followed left an uncomfortable air about it. There was a weakness to his words, as if there was a crack in the armour. Tabi gulped down any counter to his statement. Despite the desire to show Ivan the truth. His uncharacteristically fragile command made her pause. She closed her eyes, ears intently listening to what he had to say.

She was jerked back into alertness when his arms surrounded her. Instinct had told her to squirm out of his hold, but the grip tightened and Tabi gave in to its embrace. Her eyes opened and to her surprise, Ivan had buried himself into her back. Her mouth opened slightly to speak, but she paused. Ivan was shaking. No, Ivan was crying.

She listened to his sobs, it was puzzling to her. It had happened once before back on the first day and it had shocked her then too. It was so foreign to hear his cries. This stoic and strong figure, reduced to someone merely clinging to her shoulders for support.

Tabi wanted so desperately to turn around, console him through the pain. But his hands kept her locked in place. Guilt flooded Tabi's mind. She had wanted Ivan to see the truth, to understand her, but had it come at too high a cost? She just sat there, speechless as Ivan wailed out to her.

When he finally spoke out, Tabi felt the grip grow tighter, pulling her inward towards Ivan. Those words were so genuine and raw that Tabi found herself biting down to hold back a fresh set of her own tears. He really did think that she was a pillar of strength. How could she be? The strong never broke down like she had. The strong had never been to the depths of despair that she had. The strong were people like Ivan.

And yet here he was, crying out to her.

Ivan's body shifted upright, but the hug still lingered. He had attempted to regain composure, but Tabi still caught the stutter, the spaces between words. Things left unsaid, yet louder than any voice she knew.

He had wanted to bear it all for her, but he wasn't strong enough, no matter how hard as he had tried. She had wanted to contribute as much as he did, but could never reach the lengths he had gone to keep her safe. In the end, they had both failed.

"God damn it... I love you..."

So did she. And because of this, they were here now. Crying over their own perceived inadequacies. Failures to commit to their own self-imposed penance.

Tabi found herself able to smile now. They were both fools.

She lifted her hands up and clasped onto Ivan's arms. With as much grace as she could muster, Tabi guided them past her breasts and down to her belly button. She pressed his strong hands up to her skin, and squeezed at his fingers, refusing to let them escape her grip.

"I love you too, Ivan."

The warmth that she had perceived prior, was a lie. This feeling within her now: the feeling of his chest against her back, head gently resting against her neck, the frames of his glasses catching in her wet hair. That was the warmth that she was missing. The feeling of connection, the feeling of finally knowing both herself, and Ivan. Euphoric, jubilant and heartfelt, all mixed up together, and flowing deep within her veins.

"You don't have to bear it alone, Ivan. Let me help you. We're in this together."
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Ivan took a breath, and it was the freshest he had taken in a while. His hands were lead down to Tabi's stomach, where his arms fell to rest in a far more comfortable position than before. This was... this was nice. He had let out his feelings and as his tears were lifted off of him, so were the oppressive fears and doubts that spawned them. The breath felt so fulfilling because there was no more weight pushing down on him at the moment. This was it, then. This was everything Ivan now needed in his world to keep pressing on.

"Yeah... yeah." Ivan slowly nodded once, unable to help but feel the smile that had worked its way onto his face. His eyes were still wet from just moments before, yet he felt the strongest feelings of joy since the last time he was home with his family. That's what being with Tabi felt like, now. He was as comfortable with her as he was with his brother, or his mother or Aunt Vera. That had never happened before, but... it still wasn't too late to start. She was right, at any rate; they could do this together. It was foolish of him to think he could have possibly borne all of the pain and stress for them both. To let Tabi do her part would not hurt her. No, it would make her happy, make her feel strong and useful.

"Yeah, we definitely can." He said it with the confidence he was used to displaying, now that it was finally returned to him. Ivan gave Tabi another squeeze, this time out of pure affection. He had never exposed so much of his emotions to somebody... not quite like this. Now that the walls had all fallen and nothing was left between them, Ivan found he truly enjoyed the feeling. They had nothing to hide, not anymore. Tabi had his hands, so there was no harm in simply standing there, pressed against the girl he loved. Ivan offered a light, quick kiss on Tabi's cheek, his eyes shutting. If they never had to move, that would be okay.
GregTheAnti-Viking†

Ivan's words brought joy back to Tabi Gweneth. Her thin lips were curled up into a crescent smile. They could do this together. They could make this moment last forever, just the two of them gently resting in this lake. She squeaked when he squeezed her tighter. Her fingers gently brushed back and forth along his knuckles.

When Ivan kissed him, Tabi could not help but swell up. His lips were rough and chapped but the moment had taken her up and Tabi found herself closing her eyes in bliss. The brush of stubble on her cheek tickled, for a moment, but it was soothing to her, as if she was brushed up against a down blanket. This moment could last forever.

Tabi's eyes opened, the smile had started to fade. The collar around her neck that had faded into the background had all at once gained the weight of the world around her. Grim truths. The moment would not be able to last. Eventually they would have to leave the safe confines of this small creek. Eventually they would have to brave the world again.

How many of them were left now? At once Tabi was trying to desperately recount the number of classmates that were left on this hell of an island. The answer escaped her. No matter how much she desired to find a number that could console her. There was nothing to be found.

The two of them would have to protect each other sooner than she had wanted. They were still here, and they were never truly alone.

Her hands tightly squeezed Ivan's fingers. She took in a breath to collect her thoughts and then released his hands. She had wished that they remained glued together, but that was to ask the impossible.

"So..." she said turning to face him, "What now?"
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

What now?

That was a very good question, but it was not one that Ivan knew the answer to at the moment. Right now, his mind had been wiped blank the moment she had turned around. Sometimes, one had to appreciate the simple things in life. This island was a ball of complication, spinning and spreading a web of malcontent where nothing was simple. The two of them had found a precious pocket of space free from the strife and bloodshed, and Ivan intended to enjoy it for every moment that it would last. If, of course, his cheeks and ears would ever stop positively burning.

"I, uh... h-heh heh...", he started, but the boy was at a complete loss of words. This was, of course, nothing new for Ivan. Anybody who actually recognized such a background figure of Bayview such as him could point out that Ivan was never much of a talker. Here, though, he learned a sad truth that had come so late in his life: talking to a girl you liked could be even harder than talking to a complete stranger. His hands fidgeted in front of him, his eyes rapidly shifting focus up and down, to and from Tabi's eyes. A few more aborted words came to and left from his mouth before anything even remotely resembling a coherent sentence dribbled out of his lips and landed on the water in a neat little mess.

"U-uh, I think we still have to... my arm!" Ivan turned the proper shoulder towards Tabi, only for his body to keep turning almost by its own will until his back was to the girl. Even the chill of the water seemed to do nothing for the rush of heat to his head, nor did it quell the blush painted all over his face. What Ivan wouldn't give for a moment much like this one, at least on paper. This was okay... this was great, this was freaking perfect. But in practice, he babbled like a drooling idiot and turned away. He had often criticized the other guys in his class for being a bunch of girl-crazy idiots (he criticized people for a whole lot, actually). The feeling of being a hypocrite sure did know how to sting, sometimes.

Ivan stared down at the surface of the water just a few inches in front of himself, glad that the river was able to hide certain things he'd rather not... just... he'd rather not. He continued to stare and fidget with his arms, obvlious to the fact that his breathing had quickened just a little bit. His gaze switched up to the bridge running overhead and slightly off to the size as his left hand cupped his right elbow, holding his arm so that Tabi might aid him.

"Is this good? Heh..."
GregTheAnti-Viking†

Tabi paused when Ivan answered. He was nervous and for a moment, she was unsure of why. It was catching his eyes that she followed along with his train of thought. In spite of her desire to talk about what lay ahead of them, she laughed. They had seen so many terrible things, scenes of murder, pain and life fading before their eyes. Moments that they should have looked away from. And yet Ivan found himself shocked by her nudity. It was just so funny that after all they had been through together, something so simple as her unblemished body had reduced him to sputtered words.

His suggestion of taking care of his wound had snapped her back into attention. Although she realized that it was merely a ploy for him to turn away from her, the point was that his wound still needed to be looked at. The wound had been mostly cleaned of blood and it looked like the wound would clot soon. A couple more washes and then it would be ready for a bandage.

Ivan was frigidity, something that wouldn't help Tabi at all. She placed an arm on his shoulder and repeatedly flexed it gently massaging the bare skin.

"Relax. You have to be still."

Tabi then brought the water bottle over to the wound. She tipped it down until the canteens' contents poured out. It splashed away a small amount of the blood, dousing the hardening red spot dark with dampness.

The river had grown silent once again as she repeated this action a few more times. Maybe Ivan had been stunned into silence, or perhaps he was locked in his thoughts once more. Maybe he was starting to think about what really lied ahead. The confrontations that they were likely to face. Imraan could still be out there.

She paused and shook her head. No. There was a reason that they were able to bathe like this...

"Imraan's dead. Isn't he?"

Tabi quickly resumed her duties, not waiting for an answer. He had killed him to protect her and after consulting with herself, she found that she was thankful that he had kept her alive. Nobody on this island really wanted to die, that was what so tragic about it all. Imraan had never wanted to die. Clio too.

"It's okay. I, I don't hate you for it. It... couldn't be helped."

Tabi shook her head. She dipped the bottle back into the depths of the river and waited for it to be refiled. The pain in her foot had been numbed, but it still remained. Perhaps she could walk it off. Just like they had to walk off what it was that they saw. Though she had a feeling that the two of them should look at it.

"That should do it. So what should we do now Ivan?"
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Imraan was, in fact, dead, and the announcements would broadcast as such the next morning. It was a question that Ivan could have answered in a single word. All he had to do was say 'yes', even half-heartedly or as a quick utterance, but it was simply a fact that he did not want to acknowledge. He had killed for the second time, and he now had two lives on his conscience... not just one. It came as a great fortune to him that Tabi did not want to press the question any further. Perhaps they would be content with leaving the truth where it lay for now.

Ivan shut his eyes again so he could see less and feel more. Tabi's hands worked masterfully, just like he remembered back from day one. No, that wasn't right... now they were calm, precise and caring. It was a sappy thing to think about, but he thought about it anyway; the hands were full of love this time, not fear. Before, maybe in her eyes, he was Ivan the killer. No, things were better now. Things between them were alright, and Tabi finally understood him. He hoped he finally understood her.

The next question was not one he could ignore entirely, though. What were they going to do now? Ivan refused to open his eyes as he pondered the query, coaxed along the path by Tabi's soothing hands which far outweighed any pain his arm could give him. What could they really do at this point but live? They had to go on living, fighting down a tunnel that had no light at its end. For as long as the path went on, they would walk it, and they would walk it together.

We'll walk it together. Just you and me.

"We just keep going," Ivan said. The sting from his cut had all but vanished. The dirt had been washed away and tight, dry bandages had been applied. He looked up at the twilight sky which called forth the night, then brought his eyes down just a little bit until he was looking at the bridge. As the sun had fallen, so did the colors and details of the world, the bridge included. Soon, it would be just a silhouette against the darkened sky, until everything was equally shrouded in darkness. The two of them would retain their color and their light, at least for now. "We'll continue on, find some sort of shelter to avoid the dangerzones, and we'll just get through tomorrow."

He made it all sound so simple. If only it were.

"Tabi, thanks. Thanks for everything."
GregTheAnti-Viking†

Tabi closed her eyes. Ivan was right, in all honesty, it was the only thing that they could do right now. They could come up with some grandiose and detailed plan that would look ahead and into their future. But how many plans had they made? How many times had they set a goal in mind, only to see it go awry through circumstances that neither of them could ever really control, despite how much they could have hoped.

No, these things just happened and they were left to pick up the pieces. He was right, after all the times plans had lead them astray, they had kept moving. Perhaps it was all they could do. All that anyone was doing on this island? Just wandering from disaster to disaster, looking for shelter. It was a peculiar thought, one that was soothing and yet sobering.

Her eyes reopened when Ivan thanked her. She laughed at that, it was an airy little laugh, like what she used to do in St.Paul. The arm that was massaging Ivan's shoulder had ceased it's work, and was now draped down his chest. She lightly pushed against it and coasted her way up to his back. The other arm wrapped around his chest, connecting the tips of her fingers in a light hug.

He had done just as much as she had today.

"Likewise."

She knew what she was doing to Ivan right now. Ivan was probably going through conniptions over the fact that she was this close to him in her state. But it didn't matter to her. Right now, nothing mattered, just the moment. Like Ivan had said, they would just keep going, but for now.

The arm on his shoulder drooped off and down to his chest. She lifted her head up and rested in onto his shoulder. Her cheek nuzzled up next to his, the damp fuzz on his chin brushing against her bare skin. She inhaled heavily, before gently exhaling taking the moment in. Letting the words be spoken through her actions and the rhythmic flow of air from her lungs.

Tabi hummed, "We really are idiots, aren't we?"

She smiled, they had put so much work into trying to out-protect each other they had nearly broken down because of it. Hell they already had, but now there was a calm about them, the tension gone, the realization of their past mistakes. It had left them, running down the river with the dirt and grime of the island.

"We'll do it together..."

It was a vague term, one that she had no answer to what she meant. But that could be looked at later...
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Ivan laughed. Honest, true laughter filled the air, because Tabi was just so right. They were pretty stupid, finding happiness in hell. And you know what? Not a damn person was going to take that away from them. Not now, not ever. No matter what happened, even if somebody decided to cap him and leave him dead in a ditch somewhere, he had enough faith to carry him up and through those gates, where he'd either watch over her or, God forbid, wait for her to join him. Still, that would just solidify the point and then coat it in gold. They'd never be able to strip away his happiness. Nobody.

It took a few moments for it to truly sink in that this was probably the first time Ivan felt comfortable enough to truly laugh. The very thought was enough to bring a few tears to his eyes, which he quickly blinked away. This was hardly the time for any more sadness. For now, at least the rest of the island was leaving them alone in their own pocket of the world. That couldn't last forever; the logging road was a narrow strip of safety to allow them a way out of the swamp and to the rest of the places which didn't have that nasty stipulation of collar explosion. They'd be corralled in with all the other kids soon, but they had time. Just enough time.

Ivan removed the glasses from his face, tucking them under the water into one of the pockets in his shorts... the one he could velcro shut. He moved gingerly not for the sake of his glasses but for his freshly patched arm, moving the glasses with his right hand. His left was preoccupied in more important matters. Almost without thinking, a few fingers tustled through Tabi's hair. Such a lovely example of closeness, and yet they... they...

"Damn it, Tabi, I can't fucking stand this. One sec."

Just after saying that, moved forward. It was enough to let her know that he was moving so Tabi could shift her weight and not fall forward. Ivan came right back, though... this time, he was facing her. "Couldn't stand... the other way..." he muttered in a rather bashful way, his arms slipping underneath Tabi's and meeting around her back. He clasped her tightly against his own body and eased his head forward.

Being short wasn't so bad when it allowed you to kiss your girlfriend without it being too awkward. For some reason, he felt like he should've been taking advantage of the... 'sparsity' of clothing of the situation, but this was somehow even more exhilarating. The two of them were barechested, sure, but just like that one night on the other side of the island, they were both naked in so many ways. Nothing was between their eyes, hearts, minds or souls anymore. To that end, the feeling of nipples against skin just couldn't compare. Not that it wasn't awesome as all hell, just... there were so many other things that made this perfect.

"Let's..." Ivan spoke in short, subdued chunks between kisses. "Get out... soon. Water's... getting... cold."
GregTheAnti-Viking†

Had Ivan ever laughed on the island? Had he even laughed in St.Paul? Tabi couldn't think of a time where he had. Tabi couldn't help but notice that it was something he should do more often. It was a rich and hearty laugh that echoed in her ears with a warmth that was refreshing to her mind.

She shifted her head when Ivan removed his glasses. The brilliant blue eyes were cast down into the water and she couldn't help but look down with him. His reflection was all that she needed to bring her smile up to a full beam. The two of them looked so awkwardly placed, her head resting on the shoulder blade of Ivan, yet it was no discomfort to her. Ivan was smiling, she could see his teeth, a surprise, but a welcome one. When his hand found its way into her wet hair, she lifted his head back up to glance at Ivan. It wasn't much, and yet it felt wonderful. His fingers gently folded themselves in and out of strands of long, tangled hair over and over, as if he was just massaging her bare skin. She could kiss him right no-

Her mind suddenly went to her mouth. Her lips furrowed as she could still feel the foul residue of mud on her tongue. There was still grit within her teeth. She needed to drink, remove the taste from her lips.

"Damn it, Tabi, I can't fucking stand this. One sec."

That snapped her back into the moment. Ivan was slowly shifting forwards and for a moment Tabi nearly fell in behind him. She was able to retain her balance, however and Ivan had quickly turned around and was staring at the man that had become her boyfriend. He had mumbled something, but she heard it loud and clear and couldn't help but laugh at how awkward the stoic man had become. She could not laugh at him too much though, as she could feel the heat of her own cheeks begin to swell up. She didn't know how red she looked now, but it wasn't the bright cherry tomato that Ivan had become.

What happened next caught Tabi by surprise. In a blur of motion, Ivan had grabbed hold of the back of her stomach and pressed her close in a tight hug. The feeling of their chests touching was awkward at first, but she was able to adjust herself and she found herself in a comfortable state. Now she just stared out into his eyes. The blue eyes were blinding, inescapable and beautiful.

And then he moved in and kissed her. Multiple times. There was a panic at first as her mind returned back to the taste in her mouth, but it flew away with the next staccato kiss.

"Let's... Get out... soon. Water's... getting... cold."

Tabi grabbed Ivan's shoulders and stopped them. It wasn't cold at all to Tabi, no in fact it was getting insanely hot now. Her breath was erratic, gaining a semblance of regularity after a second or two of calm. She smiled when she regained her composure, and moved in and returned his blitz with a single kiss. Only she held it, pushing herself into Ivan. While his method was wonderful and euphoric. Slower was just so much better.

When they broke apart, Tabi flashed an bashful smile.

"Sorry about the taste..." she said, feeling herself grow increasingly hotter, "Let's get out of the water.

Tabi's head bobbled forwards in a shaky nod and she excused herself, turning her back from Ivan. She was glad that she couldn't see the goofy grin that had now formed upon her face.

When she reached the bank, Tabi struggled for a moment before her hands and knees made their way to the grassy patch on the bank. In spite of her euphoria, the realization of that wounded ankle brought her back down to earth.

"I'm going to need you to look at my ankle when you get out of the water okay?"

She paused, waiting for the initial sting to leave her before she turned her head over to her clothing. She wished she had a towel, but it seemed that she would just have to put them on regardless of how dry she was. Tabi paused for a moment, collecting herself before pushing back up into a standing position. She wobbled constantly when she was pushing up, but there was nothing she could do right now, she just had to live with it. She shook out her legs and arms in an attempt to dry herself. A task that ended up being only a little effective at best. Sighing, Tabi bent down and grabbed the bottom half of her undergarments with her wrinkled hands and slowly put them on, avoiding a loss of balance and avoiding a plummet back into the water. She adjusted them until she found it suitably comfortable and bent down to pick up her bra.

"Ivan, are you coming?"
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Ivan had never been so terribly conflicted in his life. If there was ever a time where his brain was running a million miles an hour and was telling him to move, even though his life wasn't exactly depending on it, this would be it. Tabi wanted him to follow, he wanted to be with her, and that was that, cut and dry. His body itself, in a cruel gesture, refused to budge from its spot in the increasingly cold river. Without Tabi there to warm his back or chest, the spots where she had been pressed up against were re-introduced to the freezing water. That couldn't have been what was locking him up, though. That wasn't nearly strong enough.

He had been turned away when Tabi entered the water, hadn't she? That would explain... well, that would explain everything, but that didn't make it any less shocking or, as Ivan realized with a blush, wonderful. So, she had been bathing in the nude the whole time. They had been pressed together so close like that, with so little between them. He had been aware of at least one half of her bareness, which on its own was incredible enough. There was no denying the sexual side of it, or how 'hot' it was; Ivan was really glad Tabi couldn't read minds, or he would have been seriously embarassed. But even with her seemingly newfound strength, he never would have believed she'd be that brave. To think he never noticed the panties on the edge of the riverbank, or felt her hip when they locked each other close in that embrace.

Tabi's wobbling cleared Ivan's mind up, if only a little. As... eye catching as she might be right now, she was still hurt. They had to take care of each other, after all. That's how they got this far, wasn't it?

None of this one-sided stuff anymore. We'll take care of each other, with everything cleared up. Heh... a fully clear conscience, for once. Sounds pretty...

... Right. She's still naked. So much for a clear conscience.

Ivan knew that the respectful thing to do would be to avert his eyes and allow Tabi to at least get her underwear on while he struggled onto the riverbank. He also wasn't in the right frame of mind to be respectful. The russian boy coyly pulled himself out of the water, tugging on the hem of each leg of his shorts to try and free them of clinging bits of water. The fabric stuck to his body more than he would have liked, but after giving himself a once-over, found everything to be not too embarassing. He felt a bit selfish for feeling so reserved after Tabi's actions, though he shook the feeling off quickly. There were marginally more important things to worry about right now.

"Alright, I'll take a look..."

A few minutes later found the two children sitting near one of the trees dotting the riverbank. Ivan felt no need to put his shirt back on until he had air-dried some, though things were a bit easier to... concentrate on with Tabi somewhat covered up. He felt a twinge of regret (and some guilt at the perversity) of not enjoying that moment more when it lasted, but... no. Again, more important things. A short examination revealed what he had expected, and what Tabi probably already knew: her ankle had received a slight sprain. Nothing major or light threatening by itself, but in a situation where running for your life was often necessary, it served as a sign of trouble. No matter... Ivan would simply give her the other pistol. That left him with the shotgun, and both of them armed.

The first aid kit found itself being useful yet again. Most of the stuff they had used was for the cut on his arm, so they still had enough tape to at least handle the sprain. Ivan wrapped it up the best he knew how, following menal instructions given from all the experiences in which he had sprained his ankle on the courts. It was never a pleasant experience, but the pain was part of the prize. It was worth all the blood in the end, to reap the reward of skill. What laid at the end of the road for Tabi? Would all the blood and the pain be worth it? Or maybe he was just prolonging the inevitable?

He came back to full attention with Tabi's ankle mostly taped up. "There," Ivan said after a short pause. Tucking the unused tape back into the first aid kit, he didn't even bother to close the thing before sitting next to the girl. A surprisingly simple moment of rest, as precious and short as it would be. What with their mutual shirtlessness (Tabi's bra aside) and the casual calmness of the moment, Ivan's mind found it easy to imagine that this situation could've happened elsewhere, in a different way. Maybe the two of them could've found each other sometime this school year. Ivan, male tennis captain of Bayview, could try and teach Tabi... yeah, she was athletic enough, that could make sense. And after a grueling day, they'd sit down and... who knows. Watch the sunset or something.

Yeah. That would have never happened. This was fine enough.
GregTheAnti-Viking†

For a moment, there was silence. Just the sound of splashing water. Tabi's lip curled upwards, her shoulders rising and falling with a silent chuckle. So Ivan didn't know she was completely naked. She should of said something about that. Then again, when it had happened, she was not ready to bring it up. And then when the moment passed. Well, they were hugging in the water.

She turned back to the ground and picked up the drying bra. She heard the splash to her right and she glanced over and saw Ivan starting to emerge from the river bellow. She turned her attention back to her underwear and after a few moments, she fit it back onto her chest with a click.

Ivan had lead her back up to the bridge, carefully guiding her up the hill so that she wouldn't fall and wind up with a worse injury than what she had already. Then, when they had reached the bridge, Ivan had let her drop down to the ground, using the edge of a gnarled tree as a way to prop up her back. The wood was rough and lumpy, she did her best to avoid pressing to hard against it, afraid that she would cut herself if she moved.

Then, Ivan silently got to work inspecting the wound. Ankle sprain, she let out a quiet 'damn it' under her breath as he prodded around the area. It stung like crazy with each poke, but with every poke came a reassurance from Ivan that it would be fine. He was so calm, so matter-of-fact about the whole process that she couldn't help but smile in between her wincing. So this is what it felt like to be on the other end of things. To be the one that needed medical attention when their lives were on the line. Tabi gulped down the lump in her throat and sighed.

The sun was starting to set down on the island again. Perhaps there was an hour of light at most. The sky had become vibrant with plumes of orange mixing in with pink swirls to form the aerial canvas covering them. It was such a pity that it would fade away into darkness, probably never to be recreated again.

Tabi's eyes looked to her foot. Ivan had finished bandaging it up and by all accounts it looked like it would be good enough to stand on. There was no telling that it was going to be in any shape for running though. Not for a while at least. But the best she could do was just walk it off and hope to not fall often. It was just like failing to land a jump back at the skatepark. You just had to keep going until you felt no more pain

Would it recover though?

Despite the fact that Ivan had now taken to sitting beside her, Tabi couldn't help but feel a chill on her bare skin. A product of the river she surmised. The sun's rays were the only thing around to dry her. What she wouldn't give for a towel or blanket right now.

Thankfully, Ivan had brought their clothing up from the riverbank, though he left those near the edge, taking only the first-aid kit over to the tree. She didn't mind the two of them just sharing a moment like this, just the two of them exposed like they were, but it was becoming increasingly impractical to do it, no matter how romantic and wonderful it was.

Grimacing at first, Tabi's hands planted themselves to the well worn bark of the oak tree, slowly pushing herself forwards. The sting was still there as her bare feet touched the soft grass, but she gritted her teeth and accepted that walking was going to hurt a lot at first. She limped every time her left foot touched the ground, but much to her appreciation, it was only fifteen steps away.

She bent down and picked up the blue skirt first, looking as pristine as it possibly could be after over a week of use. She made no complaint about the few specks of mud that still lingered, or the wrinkles and creases that still remained. Who cared right now? Certainly not Ivan. He could live with the battle stains.

Tabi pulled them up until they were against her waist again. They were loose and slid down an inch or two, a sign of how long they had been here. A sign of how long she had gone without more than bread in her stomach.

Her hands padded her stomach. It whined in reply.

Do we still have bread? I wish we could have some pancakes.

Her eyes regained focus when her peripheral vision caught sight of the blouse. Her old friend the peach blouse. It was crumpled up in a heap right next to her sneakers. It too shared not many visible scars, but when she picked it up, she could still smell the fetid mud clinging to the cotton. and assaulting her nostrils. She had a feeling that it was never truly going to leave her. She had practically bathed in it back when Imraan was chasing them.

She threaded her torso back into the sheet of fabric, popping her arms out through the sleeves. It felt as if something was missing from inside, as if there had been more person that had once filled it. Tabi had always thought of herself as an average sized girl, the scale said that she was 142 pounds. She didn't dare wager a guess as to her weight now.

Her vision returned to the canvas below. It was shrinking, light becoming less and less available. Soon it would be total darkness again.

Tabi gulped, but her eyes did not look away. Her hands dropped under her breasts and it was then she remembered the hole. The hole that Clio had made with a single bullet. It was a single bullet that had stopped her too. A horrific parallel to remember. But true all the same. Her index finger poked through the hole again, and she felt it`s wrinkled print gently semi-circle back and forth.

Night was coming, and with it a growing sense of unrest. They would be on the move soon, the terrorists wouldn't want them to stay in their pen for too long after all. But it brought forth the same tired questions. What would happen the next day? Were they going to be able to survive another narrow escape? Who was out there that wanted them dead? Each loaded question pounded into her like a drum, urging this heavy feeling forwards and up to her brain.

We'll do it together.

She closed her eyes and her head drooped. She grinned, realizing what an idiot she was being. Weren't they trying to avoid these questions. These questions had gotten them to the point they were just a few hours ago. They were supposed to worry about who saved who more. The whole point was that they were supposed to face what was in front of them. One day at a time.

And the day isn't over yet.

A thought appeared in her head. And with a sudden twist of her body Tabi turned around to see her bag still sitting there, half open with the straps pressed against the ground. Limping her way over, she pulled the strap upwards and dug her fist into the backpack, padding the area in search for something.

She let out a silent cry when she found the object. She fished it out and gently placed the bag back down. From it, a little green scrunchy had surfaced. When she had first arrived on the island, she had figured that it was just one of the many items that had been taken away from her, and thus it had been forgotten. Another item that she had brought, with the intention of showing it off during the camping trip. At least Ivan would get to see.

It took a little effort, as it seemed her hair was no longer shoulder length anymore. However, she was able to loop the little green elastic up and into a ponytail. A part of her had wanted to try braiding it so that it looked better, but in the end she left it alone as getting it to that point would require Ivan to do it, but perhaps he liked it the way it was.

She turned back to face Ivan and gave her a playful look as if to silent ask him what he thought of the look. But she didn't take much time to hear a reply as she started to walk over to him. When she made it to the tree she knelt down right in front of Ivan, taking in his gentle expression.

We'll do it together. One day at a time.

It started with a light peck on his lips. And then it grew into three more kisses. Ivan had caught on after the first kiss, and they traded slow blows with one another. Their lips kept shifting back and forth, as if they were both climbing a ladder to a destination out of reach. Not that it mattered.

When they broke apart, Tabi rushed as quick as she could to be beside Ivan. She tried her hardest to work her body in with the folds of his own, as if they were a puzzle piece that just needed to be adjusted. It was an easy job, and as a result, Tabi could feel Ivan's chest gently propelling her upwards with each breath.

The day isn't over...

"Ivan. Let's just... Stay here for the night. Okay?"

They would do it together. To whatever end it would be.

Return to “The Logging Road”