Repercussions

These are the woods on the island’s Western coast. The trees run nearly all the way to the sea, allowing only a thin stretch of beach, which disappears altogether depending on the tide.
SOTF_Help

Repercussions

Post by SOTF_Help »

((Madelyn Prowers continued from Cleanliness and Loneliness))

Prayers hadn't helped. Nothing had helped.

Madelyn had done her best to stay strong. She'd lost the group, though, had wandered off somewhere along the line. She'd lost everything. But what she'd lost, first and foremost, was a friend.

At first, she'd been able to pass it off as a mistake. Hayley had reacted quickly, on instinct, trying to save her friends. It was dedication. It was doing something good. Well, it was trying to do something good, and failing, even if it hurt others... that couldn't be held against her, right?

That was four kills ago.

Madelyn should have stopped her. Should never have let her go off alone after that.

Hayley had gone insane. She'd gone insane, and she'd done her best to kill everyone she met, if the announcements were to be believed. Madelyn had given thought to the idea that Danya could be faking them. It wouldn't make sense, though. There was nothing he'd gain by lying, and it wouldn't take long for him to be proved wrong. More than that, Madelyn had seen Hayley murder. She'd seen it with her own eyes, and she'd done nothing to stop it.

She was crying. She'd been crying for days now, on and off. She'd known what she had to do, but she'd been waffling, been afraid to follow through. Hayley had been announced again this morning, though. There was no more pretending.

Madelyn took out a piece of paper and wrote on it for a time.

Then she leaned up against a tree, in an area that looked fairly well-traveled. She held the paper in her left hand, pressed it against her chest. Then, she looked to the nearest camera, and gave a slow, sad smile. She'd have to be quick, lest she lose her resolve. No time for goodbyes to her folks. She'd already said her most important goodbye, back at the Fun Fair days ago. So she didn't say much this time.

"I know I'm not supposed to commit suicide, but I think it's for a good cause, maybe. This one's on you too, Hayley."

With her right hand, she gave her collar a yank, using all her strength. It was quick and relatively painless.

G115, Madelyn Prowers: DECEASED

The note in her hand was stained slightly with the blood flowing from the stump of her neck, but it was still legible.

Hayley, I thought you were my friend. I thought I could trust you. It turns out I was wrong. You're just another murderer. Another killer without a conscience. I wish I could have been there for you, but I don't think it would have mattered. I wish I could have found you and talked to you, but I don't think you'd have cared.

This is the only way I have left to reach you, and I hope to God it does. Wake up, Hayley. There's still time.

I don't think you can save your life. I don't think you can walk away from this unpunished. That's not how the world works. But maybe you can still save your soul.

Maybe we can be friends again in heaven.

-Madelyn

Return to “The Woods: Coastal”