The V6 Read-A-Thon

Discuss anything and everything that has to do with SOTF here -- from your favorite character to comments and suggestions about the site! This forum also contains roleplaying guides for your benefit!
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

gimme
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: G114 - Aston Bennett: A woman who desires revenge must dig three graves.
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Penny Huang: Good girls can make bad decisions.
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
v7 - Gaelan Meloy: And nothing matters.
v7 - Jordan Brankovich: Rethinking it all.
v7 - Kayden Brockman: Not done yet.
v7 - Ji-hyun Christensen: Just getting started.
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
Destiny Martinez will live fast and die faster.
Aidan Winston is going to let you know you're not solving anything.
Lara Rodriguez thinks you should keep your opinion on her to yourself.
Peyton Hoffman isn't fond of the PC Police ruining everything.
Lindsey Sewall wants to make sure you drank water today you stupid bitch.
Luke Travers needs to have a code.
I'm hosting a SOTF!
SOTF: International
Applications Open Now!
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

hi hello new youfs for you

catche: Danny Brooks
brackie: Scarlett McAfee
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Current Theme Music: Devil Town (v1) - cavetown
Weapon: Tactical Combat Shovel
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me
Memories: Hiya sa Timog

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Current Theme Music: Play With Me - DDLC OST
Weapon: Bug-A-Salt Camofly 2.0 Insect Eradication Gun
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit
Pregame: In Vino Veritas - Shake It Out
Memories: Hayashibara Heart to Heart
Prom: Fear and Delight
Trip: Room 832: Welcome to the Witching Hour

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Current Theme Music: When You Die - MGMT
Weapon: George Hunter High School mascot costume
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Weapon: Browning Hi Power 9mm
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Pre-Game Threads: Wiping All Out - Quixotic
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
Weapon: Non-Functional Flamethrower (left in the Clubhouse)
Previous V5 Threads: Finding Center - Wish I Could Breathe - The Visionary
Memories: Offended?
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Weapon: Binoculars
Pregame Threads: Taking it to the Streets
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
new resting place for chatsig never forget 2018
give my v8 kids friends pls
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

plucks character out of the bucket of v6

You are my child now
[+] V7
B006 - Stepney Cruz - DEAD - Dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight - Mountain Bike - Localised - Catastrophe - Inferno
Pregame - Chill - Loss - Realm
Trip - Loved

G035 - Katie Agustien - DEAD - There's only two ways that these things can go, good or bad and how was I to know that all your friends won't hold any grudges, I got the final judgment - The World's Sharpest Knife™ - Dread - Skin - ieatnothing - Satisfaction - Tempest - Zero
Pregame - Vend-etta - Flames - Fleet - Monachopsis - Glitter
Trip - G҉ A҉ N҉ G҉

B028 - Aurelien Valter - DEAD - When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat, before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream - Spiked Mace, Glock 19, Min-Jae Parker's Crossbow - Nightmare - Bubbles - Neighbourhood - Tragedy - Make It - Fiend - Sleet - Love - Walls - Friends - Key - Everything - Gotta - Ghosts - Alone
Pregame - Shark - Heart
Prom - Link - Gradation - Ballare
Trip - Inferis - Scusare

B052 - Garren Mortimer - DEAD- Cut up and I can't feel my hands, no need to chase, can you relate, can you keep up the pace like you're dying for this? - Bryan Calvert's SPAS-12, Alligator tooth sword - Sky - Geek - Nation - No - Dilemma - Mauerbauertraurigkeit - Struck - Punishment - Énouement - Pain - Learn - lamb - Moves
Pregame - Rain
Trip - Life

Meanwhile
Lyra Doyle - Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky - Pop!
Pregame - Evolution - Life - Lo Mein
Memories - Forward - Odds

Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money - Phone - Angel
Pregame - Generation - Prince
Memories - Star
Prom - Sun - Luster
[+] The Past
V6
Bryony Adams - Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
Astrid Tate - So what became of loving man, and what became of you?
Mia Rose - You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong

V5
Owen Kay - I fold my tie and ribbon to hide my scars, that's how it starts
Amy Bachelor - Can you whisper, as it crumbles and breaks, as you shiver, count up all your mistakes
Francis St. Ledger - So a day when you've lost yourself completely could be a night when your life ends

V4
George Leidman (Adopted from Blastinus) - Now if we jump together at least we can swim far away from the wreck that we made
Beatrice - Jamie - Pippi - Tim - Ada - Tabby - Romeo - Lissa - Freddie - Trinity - Redd - Natalie - Kendra
[+] The Future
Boyd Adkinson - Ain't no surprise that I can't sleep tonight, my only vice is standing by your side
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017
Slam

Post by Slam »

I have time now so I'll take another.
My V8 Relationship Thread!
[+] Dead V7 Kids
B035: LUCAS BRADY - Had Enough - 1 - 2 - 3- 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9
G002: ELISABETH "LIZZIE" LEBOWSKI - "You've been a great audience." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
[+] Pregame Shenanigans
Lucas Brady - Facebook!Lucas - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6
Elisabeth "Lizzie" Lebowski - "My parents told me to make a good signature, so I signed a note promising I would do it later." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

hands over kids in buckets

pippi: Benjamin Lichter
slam: Caleb Diamond
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

got another dm request

kotori: Kaitlyn Greene
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:

[+] V6
V6 Characters:
[+] V5
Dead:
[+] misc
[+] meirl
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

One child, please.
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

serves up child on a platter

courtney: Bradley Floyd
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:

[+] V6
V6 Characters:
[+] V5
Dead:
[+] misc
[+] meirl
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

received a chat request

Jilly: Bernadette Thomas
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:

[+] V6
V6 Characters:
[+] V5
Dead:
[+] misc
[+] meirl
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

I'll throw my hat into this. I need to do more reading on this site.
[+] V6
G019 Serena Waters
The Past:
Island:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12
Meanwhile:
B037 William "Will" McKinley
Image(Adopted from Dannyrulx)
Dannyrulx:
Memories:
1-2
Pregame:
1-2
Sadie Hawkins Dance:
1-2
Island:
1-2
Adoption:
3-4-5-6-7-8
[+] V7
B026 Sean Leibowitz
Image Image
1-2-3-4-5-6-7
B071 Sal Bonaventura (Adopted from Skraal)
Skraal:
1-2-3-4-5
Adoption:
6-7-8-9
B085 Brandon Murphy (adopted from Rattlesnake)
1-2-3
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

for u

Ω: Henry Spencer
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:

[+] V6
V6 Characters:
[+] V5
Dead:
[+] misc
[+] meirl
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

May I? Need quarantine activities.
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

quarantines you alone with this child

Kami: Cameron Herrig
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:

[+] V6
V6 Characters:
[+] V5
Dead:
[+] misc
[+] meirl
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

[+] Steve
Alright. Here we go. Before we get started, I suppose I should note two things: 1. Rattle has written some of my favorite characters on SOTF full stop. 2. The Steve OOC drama is one of the few V6 things I'm aware of.

Anyways, here we go!

Steve's profile is sparse. I won't rag on it too much but it feels like it needed another pass it didn't get (as an example, Steve is noted to let his hair grow out until it's unruly, then crop it short, but where on this spectrum it lies circa V6 itself is in no way alluded to).

Steve's bio is almost entirely centered on his family. This is something that others could learn from, actually, as it's an area often neglected. That said, it lets other things fall by the wayside or get only cursory attention. Most notably, there's a chunk detailing a withdrawal from social situations/possibly depressive span for Steve that is introduced and resolved within a paragraph but which apparently required intervention from the family doctor. His advantages and disadvantages are at best loosely derived from his bio and at worst come pretty much out of left field.

Steve's profile isn't awful or anything, but it's outdated—it feels like it's from V4. Fortunately, Steve's concept is "Kind of chubby anime nerd who idolizes his big brother and his cop dad and feels like he knows right and wrong better than everyone else because he doesn't go drink at parties." It's super grounded, has some depth, and just isn't the sort of thing that's likely to go all that bad in general, much less in what I know to be capable hands.

Steve has no Pregame whatsoever, so we land in his first post in the game.

Well, before that we meet a character named Bradley, written by Goose, who is burning ants with the first aid kit lighter. It's a freaking awesome entrance post. Then we get to Steve.

Steve is a trendsetter and does the stinger tag that became so very popular in V7. Steve is very aware of being watched, and of his own likely demise. He's afraid of someone who may "burn everything else around them," which is a really nice evocation of Bradley; in this way, his narrative riffs on the post above it (which frankly would've made this an intimidating thread to join) without be overly cute. Good stuff.

Steve muses, also about his parents. He examines his stuff. He has a sickle. Rattle writes this much better than I do in summary. He has a knack for unlikely and evocative turns of phrase, which are here in force. Interestingly, one of Steve's big concerns is over whether he'll be no more than a footnote in the tragedy.

Alba and Bryony roll up, an entire thread apparently under their belts already. Alba calls out and asks if Bradley's going to kill her, and he says no even as he murders her with sarcasm. Steve has a nice moment where he does the patented V2 dialogue remix but just to put himself stumbling uselessly over his own words in. His narrative has a mildly ominous musing on the importance of momentum, and a mildly ominous vocalization re: how nuts everyone may be.

Bradley calls himself an asset and Bryony says he should drop the "et." I chuckled. Bryony has this really interesting reflection about how the island changes people, framed in the idea of their being copies of themselves. It's cool stuff.

Steve gets pretty keyed up about Bradley casually waving his M-16 around like a prop, and muses that he's more keyed up than he expected. There are some nice ominous tones here, some foreshadowing that Steve might be a bit more dangerous than even he realizes. Anyways, he bails.

As opening threads go, this is pretty solid. Steve has an interesting voice (courtesy of Rattle's knack for phrasing), and while he doesn't really do anything, he's present in the scene and has some interesting insights to offer and we see the beginnings of a possible path. The other characters are also solid, though Bradley in particular steals the show because everything he does is on-point for his character, which appears to be infuriatingly witty jerk.

Steve's next thread is his last. I am given to understand quite a bit of time passed OOC, as he dies in 82nd place, after 25 of his peers. His first sentence includes a mathematical reference that sends me to Google to figure out what he's talking about; it's pretty clever. His post also plays with thoughts being interrupted by forgoing the usual em-dash and having a sentence just stop halfway. It's unsettling and jarring and effective. Steve has apparently run around a lot and in the process the sickle in his bag wore its way through the fabric and the pointy bit caught him on the leg, so he's going to do first aid, on on top of the helipad.

Isabel rolls in (also with the stinger entry) and given what I've heard of V6 I have no doubt she's here to kindly help bandage Steve's booboo. The wiki says she's killed three people by this stage. Isabel looks at Steve, thinks to herself he's a sucker, and muses that she could probably kick him right off the building. There are still like ten posts in this thread so I'm pleasantly surprised when that is in fact exactly what she does.

Steve's descent is very nicely written, and thought is put into how he survives (it's by landing on his legs, which get pulverized). I appreciate that the kill just got a whole lot more grim and messy. I like that Isabel gets irritated that Steve didn't die because now she has to go finish him off, even though she's already planning to go down to get his stuff. It feels like she's making excuses and actually she's mad her plan didn't work because she likes stuff turning out and was preemptively patting herself on the back for a job well done.

Steve's next post starts with this:
Steve wrote:Breathing hurt.

Hmm.

Not breathing hurt.

That was unfortunate.
It's a good bit.

The post continues, and I learn what "proprioception" means. Steve tries to put on a brave face to Isabel when she arrives, while she showboats like a Bond villain, thinking maybe those darn terrorists will finally give her the BKA she so obviously deserves. Steve is asked which organ he considers most expendable, but he's not playing that game. He muses a bit on particularly gnarly historical torture methods that I actually do know about, and thinks maybe it'd be a small consolation, since he's going to die absolutely miserably, if he could have the most awful miserable death of all, but realizes those are long odds and decides to goad Isabel instead so she'll maybe hurry it up.

She's not biting, and puts her anatomy lessons to good use. Steve says it's been done before, and then musters all he has to make a final grab for his bag... to slash at his own throat with the sickle. But Isabel isn't about to let him steal her thunder, and though she can't make it as slow and painful as she wants, she axes him in the head and gets the credit. And Steve has some desperate last second musings, but only gets a little ways in before the impact.

So, then, how is Steve? He's good! Looking at him, I can pretty much understand the OOC issues and why he was controversial at the time, but years after V6 ended none of that stuff matters. His story is brief, but every post has clearly been given actual thought and effort, and he has a strong, quality voice. He doesn't have much of a story arc, but how much can you really ask for in two threads? As early(ish) deaths go, he's a good one with real personality, clever beats, and good chemistry with those he interacts with, and he does a really good job pushing Isabel as a villain by not just rolling over for her. He makes her work for it, which in turn makes her come off better in the scene. Would this have all maybe been better ten deaths earlier or whatever? I dunno, perhaps. But he's still well under halfway, so it's not like he's hanging around until right before Endgame. Back in V4 characters were still debuting at close to this point, so I'm kinda inured.

So yeah, I'd recommend Steve as a good look at how you can make the most of a character with a short run time and how you can do a lot of work with a death. Taken on his own terms, he's solid and fun.
I'll take another but I may not be super speedy.
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

my crops are healing bless u

toben: Coleen Reagan
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:

[+] V6
V6 Characters:
[+] V5
Dead:
[+] misc
[+] meirl

Return to “Roleplaying Discussion”